Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Raymond Burr - fake family

Burr's official biography stated that he had been previously married, but both his wives and one child had died. %0D %0D According to his bio, in 1942, while working in London, he met Annette Sutherland, an aspiring actress from Scotland and that year they married. Despite protests from Burr, Sutherland insisted on fulfilling her contract and traveled to Spain with a touring show while Burr returned to America. %0D %0D Shortly before her death, Burr is said to have received a letter that Sutherland was working in Spain and would return to England and then America; Sutherland then boarded a flight from Lisbon to London and it was said that Sutherland then perished on BOAC Flight 77-A, the same flight that claimed actor Leslie Howard. %0D %0D Burr's biographer, Ona L. Hill, writes that "no one by the name of Annette Sutherland Burr was listed as a passenger on the plane." %0D

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2013

"Perry Mason" started in 1957. During the run of the series, Burr kept fairly private, perhaps because his co-star William Hopper (Paul Drake) was the son of gossip columnist Hedda Hopper. %0D %0D Author Robert Hofler alleges in his 2005 book, "The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson: The Pretty Boys and Dirty Deals of Henry Willson", that Burr and Rock Hudson hosted gay parties at a rented home in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2010

Wow. That's some hardcore bearding.

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2010

I think it's been assumed for a very long time that Burr's wife and kid were fictitious. His biographer, the Biography episode, everything about him points to it having been a story.

He did marry a friend, Isabella Ward, in the late 1940s. They divorced before he became famous. However, when he did get famous from "Perry Mason" in the late 1950s, suddenly people wanted to know about that kid he said he had from his first marriage, so he had to make up some story to explain it. That may have been when he made up the story about his first wife being on the same plane Leslie Howard was, who knows.

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2010

Did he have a twin who went to gay bars?

by Anonymousreply 509/10/2010

Interesting, but I don't judge him for doing what he had to to keep homophobia from destroying the career of a fine actor. He certainly didn't have the option to come out.

by Anonymousreply 609/10/2010

[quote]Burr kept fairly private, perhaps because his co-star William Hopper (Paul Drake) was the son of gossip columnist Hedda Hopper. Are they implying that Drake got the role to guarantee her silence? It's interesting, and I've never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 709/10/2010

I think they're implying, R7, that anything he did or said would likely go right into the newspaper, so he needed to be extremely discreet.

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2010

I feel sorry that he had to invent a fake family but that was the times (and the times haven't changed that much, not a single series lead is out of the closet!)

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2010

[quote]... by claiming such a heart-wrenching personal "history," Burr could scare reporters into backing off from digging into his personal life.

Hasn't worked for Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2010

To many people, Anderson is hot and sexy.%0D %0D Only daddybear lovers would find Burr hot.

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2010

Could Lucille Ball have played Della Street in a big screen version of the TV show?%0D %0D Yes, although the role of Perry Mason might have been a bit of a stretch for her.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2010

William Haines, he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 1409/10/2010

"Only daddybear lovers would find Burr hot."%0D %0D %0D %0D I've seen pictures of him in his younger, thinner days and he was quite cute!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1509/10/2010

Burr cultivated orchids in his retirment years and developed this passion into an orchid business. He even developed an orchid he named the Barbara Hale Orchid. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1609/10/2010

Raymond Burr used to visit the troops in Vietnam on the QT. I met him there in 1965. He would just drop in to bases that were in the boonies and sit around and talk to the troops. Very nice guy.%0D %0D I also met George C Scott around the same time. He did the same kind of down low visiting, no big whoop for either of them. Just showing some support.%0D %0D It was much appreciated by us soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 1709/10/2010

By the time Raymond Burr was making those later Perry Mason TV movies, it was widely known by the public that he was gay. The tabloids had reported it more than once. After his death they did some kind of TV tribute to him; it might aired along with the last Perry Mason movie. They showed clips of Burr in various movies and even a scene of him dancing wildly on some TV variety show. But what really shocked me was that Barbara Hale spoke of his sad private life, which included two dead wives (one of them dead in a plane crash) plus a son who died of an illness. I thought by that point in time all these stories had been debunked, and I'm sure Barbara Hale herself knew they weren't true, but she repeated them as gospel on that TV program.

by Anonymousreply 1909/11/2010

I married Raymond Burr....and then I died

by Anonymousreply 2109/11/2010

I called Raymond Burr daddy, and then I died!

by Anonymousreply 2209/11/2010

"But what really shocked me was that Barbara Hale spoke of his sad private life, which included two dead wives (one of them dead in a plane crash) plus a son who died of an illness. I thought by that point in time all these stories had been debunked, and I'm sure Barbara Hale herself knew they weren't true, but she repeated them as gospel on that TV program."%0D %0D %0D %0D She still claims that he wasn't gay - what the hell is wrong with her?%0D

by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2010

[quote]Holy crap! Wait a minute! Red Skelton was gay!?

Good lord, someone needs a remedial course in reading for comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2010

Someone posted on DL some years ago that Raymond Burr had Limbaugh-like preferences for exotic young boys.

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2010

Raymond Burr is Canadian you know?

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2010

Barbara, if Raymond wasn't gay, who's the guy he lived with for all those years. The gardner?

by Anonymousreply 2709/11/2010

Raymond was a confirmed bachelor, that is what they called it in those days.

by Anonymousreply 2809/11/2010

POPBITCH 09/08%0D %0D Word from a certain lake in Italy is that this heavily closeted Tinseltown actor has ditched the personal trainer/hairdresser/%0D assistant he%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s been having a relationship with for years in favour of a very pretty 17-year-old.%0D %0D He%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s said to be besotted but even his regular entourage are worried the lad in question may not have the purest motives. Sorry, no more clues. (George Clooney)

by Anonymousreply 2909/11/2010

R20, silly, the quote notes that Skelton's son's death was (famously) covered in the press, so it seemed Burr's son's situation would have been, too. Skelton wasn't gay. Fey at times, but I've never heard a gay rumor.

by Anonymousreply 3009/11/2010

I suppose one of us does, R24. So please allow me to clarify:

What I inferred from R1's post is that Red Skelton, at one point in his career, felt the need to invent a fictitious dead son. If that indeed was the case, one has to wonder why it'd be so important to Red Skelton that he float a story that implies heterosexual activity on his part.

by Anonymousreply 3109/11/2010

The death of Red Skelton's son got major coverage - blessing from Pope, wishes from White House, prayers from Billy Graham, story by Huntly-Brinkley, etc. It may have even inspired Mary Hart, at age of 8, to buy her very first funeral frock. %0D %0D IF Raymond Burr really had a son who died, it would have gotten attention from the media, just as was the case with the real son of Red Skelton, who (Red) probably was straight but had a bit of a lisp. %0D %0D That is all, r20.

by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2010

who had a gay son?

by Anonymousreply 3409/11/2010

Butt was alos a lousy provider. HE made a point to spend every dime of his money so that his partner wouln't get a cent. Not even the house. The partner seemed okay with the arrangement, but still what a dick.

by Anonymousreply 3509/11/2010

[quote]who had a gay son?%0D %0D I think r20 is the one with the gay son.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2010

[quote]Butt was alos a lousy provider.

MY butt provides for me pretty well. Don't know what I'll do when I get old and it droops a bit though.

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2010

No, no, R36 ... R20 is Red Skelton's son!

by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2010

I bet these two have some sad stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2010

Burr picked up a sailor and brought him to the premiere of "A Star is Born". See at approximately 7:00.

by Anonymousreply 4009/12/2010

I'm confused.

by Anonymousreply 4109/12/2010

If Burr's fictitious son "died" before he became a household name, then there would not have been too much attention given. Vague tragedies in his past and a gloomy public disposition would discourage inquiry, which was the desired outcome.%0D %0D And frankly, this was not Cary Grant. Burr was never a popular sex symbol. Who'd give a fuck enough to "investigate?" and ruin the profitability of Perry Mason and Ironsides. %0D %0D I think it is really pathetic and sad that someone would go to such lengths. I bet he was a really self-loathing person.

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2010

I think one of the biographies on A&E on Raymond Burr a few years ago discussed the fictitious family he invented for himself.

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2010

r35, it's not true that "Burr spent every dime so his partner wouldn't get a cent." %0D %0D He and partner of 35-years, Robert Benevides, co-owned an orchid business and winery.%0D Ray died in '93 at 76.

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2010

"And frankly, this was not Cary Grant. Burr was never a popular sex symbol"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D He wasn't a sex symbol but he was the leading man on a huge tv series. Perry Mason was a smash hit. No one "investigated" his past because back then all the movie magazines were fan magazines that wouldn't print anything bad abotu stars. There were tabloids like Confidential but they could be paid off.

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2010

Remembering the huge and ongoing popularity of the Perry Mason show and Raymond Burr, I doubt that the American public would have ever believed that Raymond Burr was gay without dyed-n-the-wool photographic proofof him with his pants down and inserted in or by another fellow.%0D %0D Unlike Cary Grant, Rock Hudson or Tab Hunter, for example, Ray's image was never light in the loafers, if you catch my drift.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2010

In 'Rear Window', Hitchcock supposedly hired Raymond Burr to play Lars Thorwald because he could be easily made to look like his old producer David O. Selznick, who Alfred Hitchcock felt interfered too much.

by Anonymousreply 4705/05/2013

I doubt that the fact that Burr was Gay would have been printed during the Perry Mason years. There are certain rules in the tabloid business. One is, don't write anything sexual about someone nobody wants to have sex with. The other is don't write anything that your readers don't want to hear about. If a tabloid prints a scandal, it is because the tabloid knows their readers want that celeb to be taken down a peg or two. They are not going to print anything that would (a) upset their readers or (b) make their readers think "who cares". I think Burr's sex life falls under the "who cares category".

by Anonymousreply 4805/05/2013

William Hopper was also gay.

[quote]Having spent most of his career in the dreamboat closet, Hunter presents certain drawbacks as a gay icon, though not as many as Willson. His livelihood long depended on concealing the love that Hedda Hopper dared not name (though William Hopper, her own son, and Tab's co-star in Track of the Cat, more familiar opposite Raymond Burr in TV's Perry Mason, was gay).

by Anonymousreply 4905/05/2013

I was told years ago that the reason Ironside was in a chair was that it was felt to be the only way to stop Raymond Burr swishing outrageously around the set.

by Anonymousreply 5005/05/2013

My father told me that Raymond Burr was considered quite overweight for the time, and therefore the Ironside producers thought the American public would be more accepting of overweight Burr in a wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 5105/05/2013

His fake family story is really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 5205/05/2013

r35, what is your source for Burr not leave his partner anything to his partner? The guy continues to live in the house on their property and still operate their businesses.

by Anonymousreply 5305/05/2013

Manti Te'o wasn't the first guy to have an imaginary female love interest!

by Anonymousreply 5405/05/2013

The second fictitious "wife" was an actress named Laura Morgan who died of cancer in 1955.

by Anonymousreply 5505/05/2013

[quote]The guy continues to live in the house on their property and still operate their businesses.

by Anonymousreply 5605/05/2013

In the days before Internet databases, it was easy to create fictional relatives or a bogus past life . Nowadays, even fictional degrees cited on a resume don't pass any kind of serious vetting.

In the old days, people had more freedom to fabricate a different past. For example, Ellen Ternan chopped 14 years from her age and expunged her entire past as Charles Dickens' mistress from her C.V. Neither her husband nor her children had any inkling who she really was or how old she really was until well into the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 5705/05/2013

Raymond left a series of codicils set to be unsealed and made public 25 years after his death. Scuttlebut is that in his later years he was obsessed with compiling dirt on closeted gays on the industry. Guess we'll find out in 2018 or so?

by Anonymousreply 5805/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!