Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Merlin" season 3...

...debuts Saturday night 9/11/10 in the UK. I've been looking forward to the drama, comedy, and general fun of another series.

The Dragon is free. Morgana is emerging as her true self. Arthur must have his suspicions about his servant/friend Merlin. Lancelot looms and Gwen broods. (Uther, of course, is arrogant and bigoted).

The DL search function is not working well, or the previous threads with all the cool links are gone (I blame the shirtless Bradley troll).

Shall we?

by Anonymousreply 26610/02/2011

Two-part season premiere starts tomorrow, yes!!

"Arthur must have his suspicions about his servant/friend Merlin."

Don't I wish but I wouldn't count on it. The creators insist on Arthur not finding out about Merlin anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 109/10/2010

At ComicCon they showed a blooper reel, which mainly has scenes from season 3 (and a few from season 2 I think), so there are some minor spoilers. The Bradley James anti-shirtless troll will NOT be pleased by some of Bradley's scenes.%0D %0D There are some cute interactions between the cast (including one with Merlin in a compromising position with his mouth open).%0D %0D Can't wait for the premiere!

by Anonymousreply 209/10/2010

Who the fuck is watching "Merlin"??

by Anonymousreply 309/10/2010

Dare I hope the anti-shirtless troll has finally left DL for good? *putting up garlic on the walls as I speak*

by Anonymousreply 409/10/2010

Has the episode finished airing in the UK yet? None of my usual sources have it.

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2010

Yes, it finished hours ago. Not surprised people didn't watch as it had no promotion at all.

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2010

It's starting to get put up now.

I don't think it didn't get watched but it's not going to be as easy to find as it used to be because of the BBC cracking down on illegal downloads. I can't even find trailers of BBC shows now that haven't been blocked from airing in the US.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2010

Managed to find the episode - really, really enjoyed it and looking forward to next week. Morgana is much more interesting as a villain; I've always found Katie McGrath's acting to be pretty bland, but she's obviously having fun with the evil stares and smiles. I liked the interplay and bickering between Arthur and Merlin as always - Merlin seems slightly more assertive now and less willing to put up with crap.%0D %0D They wasted no time in getting Bradley James' shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2010

great! arthur was shirtless & lots of homoerotic stuff. yumm...

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2010

"Not surprised people didn't watch as it had no promotion at all."

5.82 milion viewers (25.7%). Pretty good considering it partly clashed against X Factor

by Anonymousreply 1009/12/2010

Don't you think the shirtless stuff is stupid? This is supposed to be a magic show. It seems like the show has become so directionless that all the producers can think to do anymore is to have Bradley James shirtless.

He isn't even that good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 1109/12/2010

Yup, Morgana has definitely gone off the deep end for sure. Much as I love it I'll be annoyed as hell if they don't eventually explain what happened during the year she was gone and what exactly Morgause told her to make her so unhinged. I got the feeling Morgana was more upset about finding out some secrets about her family, i.e., Uther and Igraine, more than the fact that Uther's been killing people with magic all these years. Morgana finally knows about her connection to Morgause but who are their parents?

Those visions Uther kept having were a little too Sixth Sense-ish but still definitely creepy for sure. And Arthur mopping Merlin's face, heh. Mean just like Arthur but still funny.

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2010

Boy, did they change Morgana's character. I was hoping she'd save her first kill for later (and what a nice looking fella he was).

This episode almost feels like a season cliffhanger and almost wasted on a simple two part episode plot early of the season.

Like the new warlord who's smitten by Morgana's sister.

I have no problem with Arthur being shirtless and showing Merlin how to use a washcloth and a bucket, but the spell casting makes me cringe sometimes.

I was able to see the episode thanks to the British themed The Box torrent site, but I'm surprised that I didn't see it on my regular torrent sites being available.

by Anonymousreply 1309/12/2010

R11, the producers (and even the cast) are well aware that the show has a very significant and dedicated female fanbase who watch it for 1) the good-lookin' duo of Bradley and Colin and 2) the homoerotic overtones of their relationship. So they throw them a bone every now and then. I can't believe you took the one shirtless scene in a fantastic episode as evidence the show is "directionless" - like, let's ignore the directions this season will take with Morgana, etc.%0D %0D R12, I think last season they said Morgause and Morgana both have the same father, Gorlois (Igraine's first husband in the legend), so they're at least half-sisters. But the show seems to be glossing over or changing some of the relationships from the legend to avoid the incest implications - I think in legend all three were Igraine's children; here, Morgana at least seems to have no relation to Arthur. I can't remember if the show implied Morgause was Arthur's half-sister.

by Anonymousreply 1409/12/2010

I thought this show was written for teens?

by Anonymousreply 1509/12/2010

R14, I think there's more to it than that. I think Gorlois might have had magic and Morgause might be Igraine's illegitimate child with Gorlois, which is why both Morgause and Morgana and half sisters and magical. And it would go along with Uther's line to Gaius last season "I thought the child [Morgause?] had died."

But still, it's all speculation and I would like to know how all the relationships fit together. Like who is Morgause's mother for instance. In the legends they were all related but in this show we've never gotten the impression that Morgana, for instance, is blood related to the Pendragons.

by Anonymousreply 1609/12/2010

Nicely done, all around. Bad Morgana is sexy; the neighboring warlord king who "knows Morgause well" is hot; the Colin/Bradley stuff was fun ("I know how to use a bucket" he said, shirtless); the level of violence was surprising; and everyone in the cast was on their game.

Looking forward to next week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 1709/12/2010

"the neighboring warlord king who "knows Morgause well" is hot"

Were we supposed to get the impression that Morgause and Cenred (the king) are lovers? I didn't get it but that's what other fans are saying.

by Anonymousreply 1809/12/2010

I don't know if they were already supposed to be lovers; I got the impression that Morgause was intent on influencing and bewitching him to do her bidding, but that doesn't mean they've actually consummated anything - more like she's holding out the promise of something more.

by Anonymousreply 1909/12/2010

The scene between Morgause and Morgana gave me the impression/and I think gave Morgana the impression that Cenred would do anything that Morgause asked him to.%0D %0D Then the couple scenes between Morgause and Cenred, not only did he not seem that happy to see her, but he also seemed reluctant about her plans on Camelot, saying something like "he doesn't think with his sword".

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2010

Anyone have a good link for episode 2 streaming, yet?

Many thanks

by Anonymousreply 2109/18/2010

I managed to find the episode online and thought it was very good, a bit better than last week - there were some very nice moments in there between Arthur and Merlin (the argument in the bedroom seemed like a lovers' spat), especially when Merlin tells Arthur his destiny. I heard there were some complaints that the first episode sort of regressed their relationship, with Arthur going back to treating Merlin poorly, but this balanced it out - there's still the same annoyance and insults, but moments where you see how much trust and respect there is between them as well.

I thought it was funny that Gwen and Merlin had parallel scenes with Arthur, in which they both tell him to trust himself. Maybe it was meant to show how important both are to him. However, I think it highlighted how the relationship with Merlin is given more depth and feeling - the writers tried to develop the dynamic with Gwen a bit more this episode but it still needs a bit of work.

One complaint I have is that the overall "plot" moves very slowly, and each season is generally a collection of "days-in-the-life" or one-shot episodes (e.g. next week's episode seems that way), with only a few episodes moving the characters closer to their destiny. Having Morgana back in the castle, knowing that Merlin knows what she's plotting, is an interesting dynamic. And I guess I understand they can't have her knowing Merlin's secret just yet, because she'd use it right away to have him executed. But it'd be good if there were more reveals so that everything wasn't kept in limbo for the entire season.

by Anonymousreply 2209/18/2010

Just watched an episode of this tonight. I think it was the end of either season two or three? It was the episode where Merlin discovers who his father is and later takes on the dragon.

It was some of the most homoerotic stuff I have ever seen, and I say that as a lesbian.

The episode was overly dramatic, but not as silly as the one where Uther is set to marry a troll. My eye rolls were constant all through that one.

by Anonymousreply 2309/18/2010

Here, R21:

by Anonymousreply 2409/18/2010

Yes, the series is pretty notorious for its homoerotic elements - it has a large (mostly female) fanbase who love speculating and writing about the relationship between Arthur and Merlin and their real-life actors. The producers, writers and cast are all aware of it - they've been asked about it at fan events, and Katie McGrath, the actress playing Morgana, even gives some playful commentary on the subject on the Season 1 DVD. Bradley James, the actor playing Arthur, has said he considers all the discussion (and fan-fiction) about it to be a compliment, because even if that wasn't the original intent of the creators or actors, they want to convey an intense bond, and there wouldn't be so much attention paid to it if the actors weren't giving the audience something to work with. Frankly, I think as the series has continued the writers have intentionally stuck in a few moments to keep the fans happy.

The tone of the series is pretty inconsistent - they'll have episodes with an epic scale one week, then a silly fluff one the next, like the troll episodes. I guess it's meant to keep things balanced and not too heavy, though I wouldn't mind a bit more depth this season. But I'm pretty much hooked - it's good cheesy swords-and-sorcery fun with pretty-looking actors and plenty of gay subtext - it's my favorite show on at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 2509/18/2010

Bradley and Colin's bromantic adventures are a definite hoot even though they're both straight in real life and Bradley has supposedly been dating Angel Coulby for over a year now.

"The tone of the series is pretty inconsistent - they'll have episodes with an epic scale one week, then a silly fluff one the next, like the troll episodes."

Yeah, that's the point - the lighter stuff helps balance out the darker, more serious storylines. I enjoy both. The Lady Vivian episode from last season was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 2609/19/2010

[quote]The tone of the series is pretty inconsistent - they'll have episodes with an epic scale one week, then a silly fluff one the next, like the troll episodes.

A ton of shows follow this very concept, like Buffy, Angel, Supernatural, Hercules, Xena, even X-files had its occasional comic relief episode.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m**

**iPlayer not included (last year they had about 300.000/400.000 views/downloads per episode. Could be more this year since they will be up against XF for the entire run).

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2010

That actually surprises me, r26, because (irrespective of their on screen chemistry) they've both pinged for me at one time or another, Colin especially.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2010

There are pictures on the internet of Bradley and an old girlfriend kissing, some fan took from his Facebook and posted on the internet along with pics of him and Angel Coulby out and about in different places. I'm pretty sure he's not gay (and sometimes I get the feeling Colin and Katie McGrath are also secretly dating) but I do think he and Colin are very good friends by now. Bradley and Tony Head also sound like they get along very well from the cast commentaries on the episodes. They all seem to be good friends which is nice, if this had been an American show on the CW or something, the younger cast would probably be at each others' throats by now.

by Anonymousreply 3009/20/2010

R26, I tend to assume Bradley is straight (Colin I'm not so sure - he just comes off as a bit shy and awkward in interviews, so it's hard to get a read either way), but I've never heard of a relationship with Angel Coulby. In all the interviews I've seen of them, they come off as friends and even brotherly / sisterly (e.g., when she talked about kissing him for the "Once and Future Queen" episode, she said it was a bit weird to share a kiss with one of her "mates", etc.), though he does tease her quite a bit.

In truth, just as with any other TV or film actor, it's difficult to know what truly goes on in people's private lives (vs. what they choose to reveal to the press), and I think with Merlin (and with many other shows) fans sometimes blend actors with the characters they play to validate what they see on the screen - but it's just acting. Who knows if Colin and Bradley are gay and attracted to one another in real life (or if any of the actors are romantically involved); in the end it doesn't matter - I just appreciate the chemistry I see on screen each week.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2010

The Bradley/Angel rumour seems to come from the Arthur/Gwen fangurls but you never know. I'd be surprised if they're a couple since they don't have much chemistry onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2010

R32, I think the Arthur / Gwen dynamic is "okay" but not great. I thought she had much better chemistry with Lancelot - not only because Santiago Cabrera is gorgeous and she couldn't keep her hands off him, but also because it made more sense for her character. From the beginning she's expressed interest in people like herself (which is what initially attracted her to Merlin), so it's hard to see at this point what she sees in Arthur, and why she'd choose him over Lancelot. I think you can make a case for Arthur being attracted to her, even if the relationship was hasty (pretty much no interaction with her at all in Season 1, and then suddenly they're kissing with almost no buildup) - she's a strong, almost motherly woman in a world where he doesn't have much interaction with women at all and his mother is dead, etc. - but as for her attraction to him, it seems to be more flattery from his attention and admiration for the great king he'll become rather than attraction or romantic love.

Which is all in line with the legend - she marries Arthur, but truly loves Lancelot. I just don't know how the show will deal with that while keeping her character sympathetic. Does she marry Arthur because she believes she'll be able to do more good for Camelot as Queen rather than as a servant, but the love remains one-sided? That'd be disappointing (though it would preserve slash fans' argument that Merlin is Arthur's true soulmate, two sides of the same coin and all that).

by Anonymousreply 3309/21/2010

The Bradley/Angel thing is just rumored and I doubt it'll ever be confirmed either way but apparently some set insider has posted on lj that it's true. I think it started because there were rumors about how they've been dating before the show started and that's how Angel was cast as Gwen or that Angel is dating someone on-set IRL and it's Bradley. It may not be true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is - they sound very flirty in the commentaries and Angel was sitting in his lap in one of the season 1 video diaries which is odd if they haven't already known each other beforehand. But it's not like anyone will know for sure unless the actors confirm/deny it themselves.

I know the focus of this season is on Morgana but it would be nice if they gave Gwen a story besides the love triangle this season. Her character is back to being as useless as she was in the first season.

by Anonymousreply 3409/21/2010

The TorchOnline's Merlin Facebook recaps are back, yes!

by Anonymousreply 3509/21/2010

R34 Gwen gets her own arc at the end of the season. Her brother is in several episodes (most likely one of the new regulars that was mentioned in a recent Bradley/Colin interview) and he's one of Arthur's knights. The theory is that she'll be revealed to be royalty and then she and Arthur are free to be together.

by Anonymousreply 3609/21/2010

That sounds like a ridiculous plot contrivance if it's true. I'd rather that Arthur ends up marrying Gwen because he fights for the idea that he can choose his wife and Gwen would make a good queen, whatever background she comes from.

by Anonymousreply 3709/21/2010

R35, those Facebook recaps are pretty hilarious. The creator's obviously a fan, but isn't afraid to poke fun at the gaping plotholes and contradictions that pop up each episode.

Re: the rumored Gwen plot, it seems to fly against the basis for her character - why bother "reimagining" her as a servant whose "nobility" comes from her personality if you're just going to make her be of noble birth anyway? Maybe they're going for some sort of Cinderella angle, or they think a king marrying a servant bends history too much. Or it's just baseless fan speculation, even if Gwen's brother is slated to appear as a character.

I rewatched the "Lancelot & Guinevere" episode from Season 2 recently, and it really highlights the character continuity and writing problems the series has. Gwen tells Lancelot she never knew she could feel for someone what she feels for him - which pretty much confirms that her kiss with Arthur two episodes earlier didn't mean much to her, and that Arthur is more invested than she is. Meanwhile, Arthur (unconvincingly) claims that he thinks about her all the time and cares about her more than anyone in the world - which really hasn't been shown at all. Gwen vows to Lancelot her feelings for him will never fade - of course, she shares "true love's kiss" with Arthur a few episodes later.

I really do enjoy the series but wish the writers had more consistency and a better idea of what they want to do with the plot and characters, because it's all over the place. Those facebook recaps have it right - too often the writers hit the "reset" button and ignore character growth and plot points from previous episodes.

by Anonymousreply 3809/22/2010

[quote]Meanwhile, Arthur (unconvincingly) claims that he thinks about her all the time and cares about her more than anyone in the world - which really hasn't been shown at all.

Yes it has. You're forgetting the cultural norms of the UK. For his class, age and gender Arthur is convincing in his love for Gwen. That's how British blokes behave. In a teen show, which this is, it's perfectly consistent and teenage girls all over the country are convinced by it.

by Anonymousreply 3909/22/2010

R39, what? I'm confused by your response - if you mean cultural norms for medieval England, the show obviously isn't hewing to them (a servant-noble relationship of equals with a plucky servant woman really wouldn't happen. Gwen certainly wouldn't be going around kissing three different men). If you're talking about modern UK norms, I think "British blokes" are allowed to be a bit more demonstrative in 2010 and aren't as constrained by class barriers as they would in an imagined medieval Camelot.

Whether teenage girls are "convinced" by the relationship isn't really the point - the script obviously says that Arthur is in love with Gwen; his love for her isn't meant to be fake or something. The relationship's just not very well-developed, which is a symptom of inconsistent writing and poor character development.

A satisfying TV relationship should actually demonstrate the characters' feelings for one another rather than having them spout off lines in exposition. I think that's why so many fans like to imagine the Arthur / Merlin pairing - the characters never say they love one another (and they never will, since that's not what the show is going for), but there are a good number of moments throughout the series where they show their trust and dependency on one another. That's more satisfying for a lot of people than a character simply saying "I love her and think about her all the time", when very few scenes indicate he thinks about her at all.

This isn't an isolated opinion; I think even Bradley James has commented that the relationship with Gwen was introduced rather hastily with little buildup.

by Anonymousreply 4009/22/2010

R40 Bradley doesn't seem to be a fan of Arthur/Gwen at all. He is the first to point out the flaws and shortcomings of the pairing. Most recently when asked to choose between the Arthur/Merlin bromance or Arthur/Gwen romance, he immediately chose A/M. He summed up Arthur/Gwen as "Arthur had dinner at Gwen's house once." Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 4109/22/2010

Those Facebook recaps are comedy gold. She's also done them for season 2's episodes, but not for season 1 unfortunately.

Re: Gwen, the writers have admitted that their original plan was to have Arthur/Morgana pair up but changed it to Arthur/Gwen only to give Gwen something to do on the show.

What really irritates me about this season so far is that Morgana spent a whole year with Morgause but she seems to not use any magic at all. How cool would it be if we could see Morgana using magic instead of glare at the screen all the time? Or if Morgana would find out about Merlin?

by Anonymousreply 4209/22/2010

The one year time jump doesn't really make sense in general. It just seems to be a plot device so that Morgana can be 100% evil now. None of the other characters or their relationships seem to have changed.

I hope the magic reveal (well, Arthur finding out) will finally happen this season. They're super speeding their way to Arthur/Gwen's wedding yet keep hitting the reset button with Arthur and Merlin. It's frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 4309/22/2010

I just finished the first season of this show on netflix and was surprised by how much I loved it, especially the last few episodes. Now I keep hearing people talking about the reset button and how the writing goes downhill in the second season. Should I keep watching or stop now and keep my good memories of it intact?

by Anonymousreply 4409/23/2010

It hasn't gone downhill R44. I found season 2 to be better than season 1 in some ways. Sure, there are parts of it that are frustrating but that's true of all shows. No show is perfect. I still really enjoy it and will keep watching but griping with other fans is part of the fandom experience. I've found British tv to be far superior than American tv, which I've pretty much given up watching except an episode here and there casually.

I say don't go on the opinions of others; watch it yourself and make up your own mind.

by Anonymousreply 4509/23/2010

R44, I like Season 2 and think it's just as good if not better than Season 1. Yes, there are some inconsistencies in plot and character between episodes and from the first season, but the series overall takes a slightly darker tone, which allows for some truly epic and moving moments.

There are some very strong episodes which I thought were better than anything in Season 1 - my favorites from Season 2 are "The Once and Future Queen", "The Sins of the Father", "Lady of the Lake" and "The Last Dragonlord" (season finale). And there are some very funny and touching (and subtext-laden) scenes between Arthur and Merlin throughout.

by Anonymousreply 4609/23/2010

Thanks, r45 and r46, I will give season 2 a go then. Glad to hear it is worthwhile as I am quite attached to the characters now. I know that the writing in season 1 wasn't perfect either but I still quite enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 4709/24/2010

To add to R46's list, I loved the Sweet Dreams episode. Others thought it was too silly but I thought it was very funny. Bradley James had some great comic timing in it, as do Colin Morgan and Richard Wilson. Fires of Idirsholas was another favorite, watch that one with all the lights out and it'll give you a nice eerie feeling, like you're watching a horror movie or a suspense thriller.

I agree that the Last Dragonlord was brilliant, probably the best dramatic episode they've done so far.

by Anonymousreply 4809/24/2010

watch it all here

by Anonymousreply 4909/24/2010

So, tonight's episode was basically all fluff and comic relief, almost to the point of parody. There really wasn't much in the way of character development, plot, or emotion, which I'd figured would be the case beforehand.

Having said that, I'm ashamed to admit I laughed harder during the throne room scene where various noises went off than I ever have watching Merlin. Yes, I am 12 years old.

Richard Wilson was obviously having the time of his life (loved him slapping Uther upside the head), as were the rest of the cast - I don't know how they kept straight faces. I also don't know how Uther can keep condemning Merlin to the dungeons (what is this? 5th, 6th time?) without catching a hint. I was surprised Arthur was basically emotionless when Merlin was condemned to die, although I guess the explanation was that he believed Merlin in the first instance and wanted to wait to prove it.

The Gwen / Arthur thing still isn't working; it's still awkward. Yes, they wrote it as awkward, but not exactly promising stuff. In an interview Angel Coulby said her character would be more involved with Arthur this season, so maybe this is a (slow) start to getting them on speaking terms again.

Next week's episode looks interesting. Gawain looks hot - he's being played by Eoin Macken, a former Irish model.

by Anonymousreply 5009/25/2010

I laughed, too so clearly I'm also 12. It was a very funny piece of fluff and after the exhaustingly stressful past few days I've had, fluff is exactly what I needed so I didn't mind at all.

The line "lose some weight, fatty!" made me a) laugh my ass off and b) wonder if Gaius/Goblin had been reading Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 5109/25/2010

This episode wasn't as bad as I had thought it would be. It was ridiculous and nothing happened to move the plot along, but it was kind of fun in a silly way.

Gwen seems more tolerable when there aren't violins playing in the background. It's when you put her in scenes with Arthur that it gets bad. Maybe it's because Bradley isn't into the pairing.

Next week's introduction of Gawain looks promising, but of course he is yet another man to want Gwen... She sure is popular for a plain looking servant girl?

by Anonymousreply 5209/26/2010

I don't think Gawaine wants Gwen, I think he's just a flirt who flirts with all the women and will probably flirt with Morgana, too.

Speaking of, the one very interesting thing about last night's episode is how the goblin reads Morgana's true intentions so fast, though no one is around to hear what he says to her.

by Anonymousreply 5309/26/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m**

[bold]Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**[/bold]

(**iPlayer not included)

by Anonymousreply 5409/27/2010

Latest Facebook recap up, bwah!

by Anonymousreply 5509/27/2010

Tonight's episode wasn't bad, though it wasn't great either, mainly because of the illogical plot. Like, why didn't Gaius / Merlin just speak up and have the knights remove their crystals in the throne room once Merlin figured out they were creating the illusion? Why did Merlin make a big deal about having to use magic in front of everyone when the only thing he ever has to do is whisper a few words while his eyes light up? And why did he wait so damn long to help Arthur with anything? Also, the scene with Gwen where Gwaine guesses she's attracted to Arthur made no sense.%0D %0D Despite the patched-up plot (as well as the similarities to the "Once and Future Queen" episode with the assassin, and the first Lancelot episode), I thought Gwaine was a promising character - a bit more charming and less uptight than Lancelot.%0D %0D And he was HOT as fuck - those abs, that hair, that smile. I can already see the slash fans writing Gwaine / Merlin stories based on their bonding in the episode, and the scene where Merlin wakes up shirtless Gwaine (I guess the producers are obligated to have at least one shirtless male every episode, and having two shirtless men this time around meant Arthur got a well-deserved break. Seriously, Merlin is surrounded by shirtless men no matter where he turns).

by Anonymousreply 5610/02/2010

Yay, so I was reading that Gwaine (such a weird spelling for "Gawain", but that's how the show spells the character's name) will be returning later in the season. The clip has spoilers of returning characters - good eye candy as well (will exposed biceps man be a featured character?)

by Anonymousreply 5710/02/2010

Agreed on the hotness of Eoin Macken (Gwaine). He totally made this episode for me, not just because of how hot he was but by how surprisingly charming and engaging he was as Gwaine.

by Anonymousreply 5810/02/2010

The Guinevere chick is the ugliest person on TV.

by Anonymousreply 5910/02/2010

R56: [quote] Like, why didn't Gaius / Merlin just speak up and have the knights remove their crystals in the throne room once Merlin figured out they were creating the illusion? %0D %0D It doesn't make sense. But common people can't usually speak up against noblemen (or not without a great deal of evidence). Merlin is the witness, not Gaius. Uther didn't even ask Merlin, who was also in the room with the two nobles and Gwaine what heppened, like normal people would. It's the same reason why Merlin can't say anything about Morgana, he has witnessed her doing so many bad things by now, but has kept his mouth shut. It's stupid, but that's how the show works.%0D %0D I kept asking, why didn't Merlin just tell Arthur? Arthur would be more likely to believe him if Merlin talked about the magic crystal, the sharp swords that were supposed to be dull, and what really happened during the Gwaine fight.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6010/03/2010

"Bradley and Colin's bromantic adventures are a definite hoot even though they're both straight in real life and Bradley has supposedly been dating Angel Coulby for over a year now."%0D %0D %0D Was looking on a British gossip forum last week and someone posted a list of who's gay in the industry and Colin's name was on it.%0D %0D So was Richard Armitage, a thing the DL has at least been 'aware' of rumoured for years but a couple of the fans on the site were really surprised.%0D %0D Doesn't mean true of course, but just thought I'd interject given you definitevely stated you knew what their sexual orientations are...

by Anonymousreply 6110/03/2010

R61, that list was mostly culled from places like here so is no more or less accurate than DL gossip - i.e. not much.

I don't know about Morgan but Armitage is straight, and dull and very bolshie. He's a regular visitor to my actor neighbours house and I've met him and his girlfriend many times.

by Anonymousreply 6210/03/2010

However Armitage was also a good match for a Brit blind item about a partnered tv star who out of the blue had a huge affair with his equally partnered male co-star, which ended badly and caused no end of production problems to get to the end of the series.

by Anonymousreply 6310/03/2010

I thought that one was about Marc Warren and Adrian Lester, R63.

by Anonymousreply 6410/03/2010

Well I dunno, maybe Armitage is on the dl.

by Anonymousreply 6510/03/2010

[quote]The clip has spoilers of returning characters - good eye candy as well (will exposed biceps man be a featured character?)%0D %0D Yes R57, they will all be back by the end of the season. "Exposed biceps man" is Tom Hopper (Jeff in Ep 501 from Dr. Who) who is playing Perceval (maybe, nobody is sure yet).%0D %0D That's Gwaine, Lancelot, Elyan (Gwen's brother), Perceval and Leon in the below pic, all done up in Camelot knights' gear.

by Anonymousreply 6610/03/2010

I liked Gwaine so of course he disappears... I'm glad to hear he is back at the end of the season though. Bradley said they ere introducing a few characters who would be regulars so hopefully he is one of them.

Gwen is just too plain (and makes strange faces when she's trying to be charming) to have all these hot guys falling all over her.

Notice all the references to Gwen being a princess in this episode? Hmm...

by Anonymousreply 6710/03/2010

Gwaine in his A&F modelling days.

by Anonymousreply 6810/03/2010

I think he's a bit better looking now, R68, with the long hair and beard - it tips him over from "cute" to "hot" and gives him a more mature look (though he's still only 27 apparently - I would have pegged him as slightly older). %0D %0D So R66, the whole "Gwen's brother is really a nobleman knight" plot is confirmed, then, with the character's name and everything? Though I was thinking it must not be THAT hard to be a nobleman in Camelot; several knights are killed every episode, and the fight with Cendred revealed there were at least a thousand knights. I mean, how huge is Camelot that they can have a thousand expendable nobleman's sons lying around?

by Anonymousreply 6910/03/2010

Although thinking about it, I guess many are simple "guards" or "soldiers" instead of "knights" - but still, there must be a lot of mourning nobleman fathers out there in Camelot given the body count every time there's a battle.

by Anonymousreply 7010/03/2010

Eoin Macken and Joe Manganiello (Alcide from True Blood) look very much alike. Intentional?

by Anonymousreply 7110/03/2010

To me it's pretty established that Bradley is straight. Pictures of him online kissing an old girlfriend, quotes in articles about how he's managed to get girls to go out with him, quotes about how he wishes that Arthur would be getting more female visitors at Camelot. You could say it's all a smokescreen to hide he's gay but I doubt it at this point; those pictures of him and the blonde he's kissing appear to be several years old, back before he was acting so I doubt she was a beard.

But yes, the rumors of him and Angel Coulby are nothing more at this point but rumors. Still, I find it very odd she was sitting in his lap at the amusement park in one of the casts' season 1 video diaries. To me it seems like the type of intimate invasion of space you wouldn't do with a cast member you hardly know, not unless you know that person well offscreen. Plus all the pictures of them out and about with his shirt off and their arms around each other. But again, just my reading of the situation.

Don't know about Colin but I'm not surprised people think he's gay since he doesn't appear to be in a relationship at 24. He did play a gay character on the Catherine Tate show, too, which I'm sure has fueled that fire some as well. He has mentioned he's shy and uncomfortable with women in interviews but again, it's not like anyone knows for sure except him and his friends/family.

Back to the show - anyone using the usual youtube account to access this week's episode, the account owner has gone on vacation but you should be able to find it on Megavideo.

by Anonymousreply 7210/03/2010

I really did like this episode but this recap is too funny and so true:

by Anonymousreply 7310/04/2010

I enjoyed that recap, R73 - the episode really did seem to be a mashup of previous episodes - Valiant, Lancelot and The Once and Future Queen - but I didn't mind because of Gwaine. Actually, next week's episode seems like it'll be a mashup of previous "the prophecy / dragon is telling me to stop Morgana but I don't really want to hurt her" episodes (I mean, she was planning on stabbing Uther back at the end of Season 1).%0D %0D I thought the first two episodes of the season were great but am worried that the writers are starting to repeat themselves with the plots, mainly because of the big plot obstacles: 1) so long as Uther is alive, Arthur can't take the throne and begin the "legend" (or develop a serious relationship with Gwen), and 2) Merlin hasn't revealed his magic to any of the other major characters yet. I don't think much can be done with the former (they're not going to kick Antony Head off, though his character is becoming rather one-note, like the Red Queen), but they could move things forward a bit with the latter. Or do more with Morgana besides having her give an evil glare and plot to kill Uther. Maybe the rumored "Gwen is a noblewoman" contrivance is an effort to move that relationship further without having to kill Uther off.%0D %0D I do think the spoilers for later episodes this season are promising, with characters coming back. And I know it's only 4 episodes in. But I think after two seasons they can start exerimenting with new developments rather than always having Merlin save Camelot from the villain-of-the-week.

by Anonymousreply 7410/04/2010

From what I've read online, R74, your complaints are exactly and universally the same across the board of most all Merlin fans. (And yet the writers stubbornly want to hang onto the 'keep the magic secret' theme, sigh).

by Anonymousreply 7510/04/2010

"[R61], that list was mostly culled from places like here so is no more or less accurate than DL gossip - i.e. not much."%0D %0D I am not sure either, how you can a.) know which forum I'm talking about and b.) know that every name was 'culled' from places 'like here'.%0D %0D Sorry but I've just realised how ridiculous your comment actually is. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7610/04/2010

That was hilarious, r73. And very, very accurate!

by Anonymousreply 7710/04/2010

R66: [quote] That's Gwaine, Lancelot, Elyan (Gwen's brother), Perceval and Leon in the below pic, all done up in Camelot knights' gear.%0D %0D Lancelot is not of noble birth. How is he a knight? Are the rules on that changing this season?%0D %0D If that picture is from this upcoming season, and there will be new recurring characters added, I wonder if it will be harder for Merlin to keep his secret. Lancelot knows; but if they're more people around, close to Arthur, on one of the many, many, occasions when Merlin uses magic to save him, someone may notice.

by Anonymousreply 7810/04/2010

Yes R78, that pic is from the upcoming season. It was taken by a fan during the last block of %0D filming in Pierrefonds (8th-17th Sept) and is either from eps 9 or 11 (ep 10 is a road trip away from Camelot) or the Finale eps 12/13.%0D %0D Nobody knows what is going on, nobody has read a script. There is a lot of guesswork and speculation going around on the boards and LJ but as far as I can make out :%0D %0D 1) Leon and Gwaine are of noble birth %0D %0D 2) Lancelot is not of noble birth%0D %0D 3) Perceval (if that is him) is still a mystery%0D %0D 4) Elyan (if that is him) is Gwen's brother and he will be around for 3 eps. He is not a stranger to Gwen, but apparently left home a long time ago after a fight with his father and she hasn't seen him since. Him and Gwen are not the best of friends. If he is of noble blood it would seem strange Gwen doesn't know about it but maybe he became a knight in another kingdom where the rules are different.%0D %0D There are lots more pics where that one came from so go see for yourself.%0D %0D Batch 1 (SPOILERS)

by Anonymousreply 7910/04/2010

Batch 2 (SPOILERS)

by Anonymousreply 8010/04/2010

Moaning Minnie S%C3%A9bastien Qu%C3%A9rit%C3%A9 (French 2nd Unit Director) posted this lot on his blog.%0D Also very SPOILERY and intruiging.%0D %0D So what is going on? It looks the end of the series will be very exciting. I love reading all the different theories.

by Anonymousreply 8110/04/2010

Since I'm on a posting spree anyway%0D %0D Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m**%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**[/bold]%0D %0D %0D (**iPlayer not included)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8210/04/2010

Glad to see the ratings slightly up (even though Episode 3 was an inferior episode to Episode 2, IMO). I heard some people saying Season 4 was already a go, though nothing will be officially announced until November. It seems to do fairly decently against very tough competition (X-Factor), and it seems safer to go with something established over a new untested show in the timeslot, so hopefully the BBC renews it yet again.

by Anonymousreply 8310/04/2010

One of the pictures at R79/R80 is a major spoiler simply because it is occurring in public.

by Anonymousreply 8410/04/2010

I don't doubt it will be renewed for another season since the numbers are still high enough but I wish the writers and producers wouldn't get lax about it and make an attempt to get the show out of the rut it's fallen into this season. Last season we had a lot of forward movement and character growth but this season seems to be backtracking from that which is very annoying.

I think most of the principal cast has signed 5-year contracts but I'm wondering how much longer they'll be patient and want to stick around. Colin already has two indie films in the can (Parked, Island) and mentioned more upcoming projects at SDCC and I know Katie did a tv movie with Emilia Fox last year. Richard and Tony have their theater work. I don't know about Bradley or Angel but I don't think the cast will be inclined to stick around much longer now that they're finding other projects to do.

by Anonymousreply 8510/04/2010

They'll probably renew it R83, it's fairly cheap for the BBC to make since it's not an in-house BBC production (like Dr. Who or Top Gear) but a Shine production and the BBC brings in only a small amount of the %C2%A31m/ep. The rest comes from foreign money mostly Fremantle Media (content and production division of RTL Group, Europe's largest TV, radio, and production company). As long as the ratings don't drop a huge amount they'll recommission for sure.%0D %0D Only problem will be where to put it next year since "The God Steven Moffat" has split the next series of Dr. Who in two with one part going out in the Spring 2011 with finale at Easter and the second part going out in the Autumn 2011 (Merlin's spot) with finale at Xmas. So we'll probably have to wait 3-4 months longer for S4 of Merlin in January 2012 (and maybe a shorter series if they can't squeeze 13 eps between Jan and when Who starts again) or even longer for Summer 2012.

by Anonymousreply 8610/04/2010

On an OT note, heads up to anyone who has BBC America, they'll be airing Colin's Doctor Who episode Midnight tomorrow 4 p.m. central time if anyone wants to watch or re-watch.

by Anonymousreply 8710/04/2010

so can we get Gwaine and Lancelot to do a porn sequence?

by Anonymousreply 8810/04/2010

R87, I'm (fairly) new to Doctor Who and that Midnight episode was one of the first ones that I watched. It was very good, and I didn't need to know a lot about the series in order to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 8910/05/2010

Ratings troll

what does AI mean?

by Anonymousreply 9010/05/2010

"So we'll probably have to wait 3-4 months longer for S4 of Merlin in January 2012 (and maybe a shorter series if they can't squeeze 13 eps between Jan and when Who starts again) or even longer for Summer 2012."

Can it work on Sunday night?

by Anonymousreply 9110/05/2010

I know, R89, Midnight was the very first Who episode I watched, too. I've since caught up with the rest of the series on BBC America, can't wait to see how the 4th season ends this week and then it's on to the specials and season 5 hopefully.

R91, I don't know much about how UK tv works but I don't think they're going to move it to another night because BBC One probably has other programming scheduled for then. Merlin is one of its 'tea-time' family-friendly shows so like Robin Hood and Doctor Who, works best when airing on a Saturday when apparently families still watch tv together unlike in the US where Saturdays are dead zones for tv watching.

by Anonymousreply 9210/05/2010

R90, AI stands for %E2%80%9CAppreciation Index.%E2%80%9D This is a statistic arrived at through random sampling. What it basically boils down to is a bunch of people who watched a particular show are asked how much they liked it (or, indeed, didn%E2%80%99t like it) and give it marks out of ten accordingly. %0D The panel consists of about fifteen thousand adults and one thousand five hundred children who go online to complete the questionnaire after they watched a certain show.%0D %0D The average AI score for drama shows is 80. For any programme, a score in excess of 85 is excellent. Any score in excess of 90 is exceptional. Any programme that falls below 60 has received a poor AI. Any score below 55 is very poor. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9310/05/2010

What an unflattering rendering of Prince Arthur, r 81!

And pray what is the strange device he holds to the royal ear? Some device of enchantment from a future age?

[not really spoiler-ish]:

by Anonymousreply 9410/05/2010

This show is not going anywhere. Perhaps it should be canceled at the end of this season.

Apparently the producers plan to drag out Merlin's hidden magic for a couple more seasons according to what I've read on other sites. People are losing interest. They also plan on keeping Uther (Anthony Head) around until Season 5.

It's ridiculous to wait that long until Arthur becomes King or until Merlin can be 'out of the closet'. The writers on this show are inexperienced and don't realize you can't drag things out that long. Uther needs to be killed off now, and Merlin needs to be outed.

by Anonymousreply 9510/05/2010

The creators were inspired by SMALLVILLE so it's no surprise that they are making the same mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 9610/05/2010

Tony Head has signed a 5-year contract and is not getting killed off. This story is about Prince Arthur, not King Arthur.

They don't need to kill off Uther or make Arthur king yet as long as Arthur knows what Merlin really is which is what they're refusing to do. Keeping Uther alive and having Merlin reveal his secret would create an interesting tension for Arthur - listen to his father's anti-magic rhetoric or have faith that Merlin and his magic are good? That kind of internal struggle would make a great storyline for the show if only the writers could see that.

But I'm optimistic about the next episode because it looks from the promo that the crystal cave will be introduced.

by Anonymousreply 9710/06/2010

What's the significance of the Crystal Cave? I read some other comments from people excited about it, but I never recalled a crystal cave from the legends I read. Only reference I could find was a series of Merlin novels by Mary Stewart from the 1970's (which I haven't read) - is that what the plot is supposed to be referencing? What's the function of the cave?

by Anonymousreply 9810/06/2010

I've noticed they are cost cutting this series by not making Merlin in HD.

by Anonymousreply 9910/06/2010

They're not, R99? I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the episodes I find online from the first and second seasons, and I think they have to be working off an HD signal because the quality's a bit too good for the compression that's going on.

by Anonymousreply 10010/06/2010

They're definately not, R100. If they were it would be on the BBC HD channel at the same time as on BBC1. BBC HD has shown a variety of things in that timeslot, including repeats, which they wouldn't do if they had Merlin to show.

by Anonymousreply 10110/06/2010

[quote]What's the significance of the Crystal Cave?

The Mary Stewart version of the story is the one 40-something Brits (e.g. the writers etc) are most likely to have read as young adults or children. The Crystal Cave is the first book in her series and really looks at how Merlin becomes a seer and a magician through what he learns in the Crystal Cave. What has got a lot of people excited is that the book deals with moving Stonehenge to its current site and him coming out as a seer.

Merlin in Stewart's books is considerably older than Arthur, as he is in most versions, and in the CC he engineers Arthur's conception.

by Anonymousreply 10210/06/2010

Thought tonight's episode was great - welcome return to form. Lots of suspense, great moments, and actual plot developments that move the series forward.%0D %0D The beginning scene (with Merlin trying to heal Arthur in his arms, calling him names) was INCREDIBLY GAY - perhaps the gayest moment of Merlin history, and that's quite a feat.%0D %0D I like that they gave Uther some actual emotion, and showed he was willing to bend the rules for Morgana's sake. I also like that Morgana has been given a much more credible reason for hating Uther (and for plotting against Arthur) than "he doesn't like magic people like me".%0D %0D Next episode again seems like a mish-mash of previous episodes (Gates of Avalon, Sweet Dreams, and Beauty and the Beast, with the uncouth bride), but I don't mind so much after such a good episode.

by Anonymousreply 10310/09/2010

Loved the episode! And yeah the name-calling scene, and the scene where Merlin is on his knees in front of Arthur were both pretty gay.

by Anonymousreply 10410/10/2010

Did they allow women to rule? We've only seen rival Kings in the areas around Camelot, not rival Queens. Why would Morgana's claim to the throne be greater than Arthur's? Even if she is the first born, she is a woman, and she is illegitimate.%0D %0D Why doesn't Morgana just denounce Merlin to the King and get rid of him already. She knows he tried to poison her, and he's always trying to stop her evil plans. This episode, she left him in the room to die/or get injured by the fire. But she could have him executed if she accused him of poisoning the king's ward/daughter.

by Anonymousreply 10510/10/2010

[quote]Did they allow women to rule?

Who knows. This is a fictional drama fairly far removed form the Welsh, English, Cornish, Scottish and French settings of the earliest legends. They can do what they like.

by Anonymousreply 10610/10/2010

Morgana wouldn't have a claim on the throne if she was just known as Uther's warden, but as his legit child all she has to do is kill both Uther and Arthur (since Arthur is male she'd have no right to the throne no matter when she was born) and there's nobody left to be crowned king or queen.

by Anonymousreply 10710/10/2010

The Merlin trolls are back this morning.

Is this shit still going on?

by Anonymousreply 10810/10/2010

Yes, R108, the show is still going on - I think you asked the same question earlier in the thread. Thanks for popping in to ask.%0D %0D R105, I think if both Uther and Arthur die, she would be the only remaining person of royal blood, and would have a greater claim than some random noble (what R107 said). As an aside, was there ever a barrier to women becoming Queen in England, or was it that there was always a male heir who took precedence? E.g. weren't Mary, Elizabeth I, Victoria, etc. queens in their own right? %0D %0D On why she doesn't just kill Merlin, I don't think the show is a model of logical plots and character motives, but from her perspective, he's still just a lowly servant in the castle and not a magical threat - though she knows he followed her before and is aware of what she's plotting (and it must be strange to her he always knows her plans, e.g. that she was the source of the curse which caused him to poison her).%0D %0D It would create a scene if she openly accused him after not saying anything before and would raise Arthur's suspicions, and Merlin would be able to accuse her of sorcery and treachery before he was executed. In the end she'd prevail over him, but she might not consider it worth the risk at this point to go through the trouble for Arthur's manservant. So, I guess it's a trump card for her to hold over him to prevent him from telling Arthur or Uther, but she won't initiate anything if she doesn't have to (also, if she were truly evil, she'd just kill him one day as he went about his duties - but maybe she's holding back because he used to be a friend and she's not so far gone yet).

by Anonymousreply 10910/10/2010

Much as I liked the episode, I'm now more confused than ever. Shouldn't Morgana already have known that Uther is her father? The season started with her knowing Morgause is her sister - how did Morgause explain Morgana's parentage and relation to her [they're sisters] without knowing about Uther herself or giving the secret away to Morgana? She just said "we're half sisters" and Morgana just said "okay" w/out asking for any explanation?? %0D %0D What I mean is, didn't Morgana ask how it's possible for Morgause to be her sister and how they're related to each other? (Morgause is presumably the daughter of Gorlois and his wife, the same wife Uther had an affair with?). So how would Morgause even know about Morgana's existing and her being her sister unless she knew all along about Uther's affair? I hate to keep griping on this point about who's related to who but something is definitely amiss here.%0D %0D Or are we supposed to believe somehow that both Morgause and Morgana are illegitimate daughters, Morgana is Uther's and Morgause...?

by Anonymousreply 11010/10/2010

R110, it's a bit confusing.%0D %0D In Season 1, it's stated that Morgana is supposed to be Gorlois's daughter. Her mother was definitely Vivian (as established by the most recent episode).%0D %0D When Morgause was introduced in Season 2 and Gaius saw her healing bracelet ("from the house of Gorlois"), Gaius and Uther both said Morgause was Morgana's half-sister, and that she was supposed to have been killed at birth, but Gaius smuggled her out. It wasn't stated whether Morgana and Morgause had the same mother (Vivian) or father (Gorlois), and I think "house of Gorlois" doesn't establish it one way or the other. In any case, Morgause is not the child of Gorlois and Vivian together; she is presuambly illegitimate (maybe why she had to be smuggled out in the first place?)%0D %0D When Morgause took Morgana away, all she would be able to tell Morgana was that they shared a parent (either Vivian or Gorlois) and were half-sisters. She wouldn't have known about Vivian's adultery.%0D %0D If Morgause is a child of Gorlois and some unknown woman, then she is not related to Morgana at all. If Morgause is a child of Vivian and some unknown man, then she and Morgana remain half-sisters. I tend to think the latter, because it might explain why they both share magic and why Morgause doesn't have a reaction about Morgana not being her sister. Also, Morgause said the Gorlois bracelet was a gift from her mother - presumably only Vivian, and not some unknown woman, would have a claim to a Gorlois bracelet.

by Anonymousreply 11110/10/2010

More than just a bit confusing, R111 if none of our speculations seem to add up. The writers have either messed up the continuity bad re: Morgana's parentage or they're all connected in some way that they haven't made clear at all yet, if ever.

It just seems like Morgana hasn't questioned what Morgause has said to her at all, Morgause showed up and said they're sisters and Morgana took it at face value without asking for any kind of explanation and said yeah, sure, I don't know how/why we're related but I'll believe you and follow you on your adventures of evil and risk my own life to be revealed as a traitor trying to kill the king.

Otherwise I did enjoy this episode quite a bit.

by Anonymousreply 11210/10/2010

Facebook recap for Gwaine:

by Anonymousreply 11310/11/2010

The "name-calling" scene from the most recent episode was striking to me because it's basically a cliched scene that's been in dozens of movies and TV shows - the "don't you dare die on me, dammit!" scene - but it managed to be very homoerotic and... tender at the same time. I mean, I've seen plenty of these scenes with two guys (especially in war movies), and there isn't any hint of it being gay. But Colin Morgan's take was so affectionate - the way he spoke softly and smiled through part of it, the way he moved his hand up Arthur's back - that I couldn't help thinking of someone caressing his lover. This was underlined by the fact that he was silently crying into a pool about losing his "friend" immediately afterward - it's really hard to think of any TV series where they'd show a straight guy being affected like that, though maybe that's because so many TV shows are so testosterone-fueled. Maybe it wouldn't have seemed so homoerotic if Colin had yelled really loudly in Arthur's face and shook him like a rag doll, which is how these scenes usually play out.%0D %0D You have to wonder if that's what the director was aiming for, and about Colin's choices in playing that scene. I think it's an example of that undefinable "chemistry" viewers sometimes see between the leads - it doesn't come from the rather plain script, but how the actors play out their emotions and interactions - how they choose to look at each other, whether they go for broad vs. subtle, etc.

by Anonymousreply 11410/11/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m**%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D %0D R99/R100/R101, Merlin is shot on Super 16 and the master format is a 2K Digital Intermediate but the BBC does not support that format so it isn't shown on their HD channel (it's the same for Spooks/MI5 btw). In the States Syfy shows it in HD and there is a Blu-Ray release announced for S2 on but strangely enough nothing in the UK. S3 is apparently only coming out on DVD here and I haven't got a clue if the CGI is done in HD by The Mill since that would be more expensive. %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11510/11/2010

[quote] Morgana wouldn't have a claim on the throne if she was just known as Uther's warden, but as his legit child all she has to do is kill both Uther and Arthur (since Arthur is male she'd have no right to the throne no matter when she was born) and there's nobody left to be crowned king or queen.%0D %0D %0D How evil is Morgana? She has made several attempts to kill Uther, but never Arthur. She has also killed a couple randoms at Camelot when they got in her way. But Arthur is someone she grew up with. Even though she has participated in attacks against Camelot, attacks that Arthur had to defend against, I don't know if she would kill him deliberately.%0D %0D Morgause also is set against Uther, not Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 11610/11/2010

As of now, I don't think Morgana has any particular beef with Arthur because it's really Uther she hates. What I imagine will happen is that Morgause will try to manipulate Morgana into turning against Arthur and wanting to kill him too so she can access Camelot's throne through Morgana. I think in fact that most of what Morgana is doing and who she's become must have been Morgause pulling her strings because it doesn't seem to me like Morgana is thinking straight anymore. She's like a scared lonely kid blindly following a cult leader without questioning anything she sees or hears.

by Anonymousreply 11710/11/2010

We don't know what happened to Morgana in the year that she was missing. %0D %0D But I don't think Morgause is that bad (in comparison) - she really doesn't like Uther, and has tried different ways to kill him (and Merlin) and take Camelot, but she also counselled patience to Morgana last episode, but Morgana ignored her and went off to stab Uther anyway. Morgause is not pulling any strings. Morgause seems to have longstanding personal grudges against Uther - did he try to have her killed when she was a baby or something?%0D %0D While Morgana seems more unhinged than Morgause - it could be because of stress of being a double agent, and turning on people (by attacking Camelot) who she may still have warm feelings for - like Gwen. Morgana is undergoing a complete character and personality change. Morgause was a catalyst for this change, but she is not controlling it.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11810/11/2010

And with this recap of The Crystal Cave, I am now officially Heather Hogan's bitch:

by Anonymousreply 11910/11/2010

Kind of a by-the-numbers episode tonight - some parts felt a bit slow. Still, there were some cute moments - Merlin being disgusted at the thought of someone being attracted to Gaius, and the princess was actually quite likeable and sweet - I felt sort of bad for her when she was at the dinner table and Arthur and Gwen were sharing a smirk; made them seem like mean girls.%0D %0D I didn't like Gwen this episode - she was stuck mainly giving dark looks of disappointment; I think it would have been more sympathetic (and in line with her character's warmth) if she'd smiled and kept a cheery, brave front. I didn't understand why Morgana would want to exploit the Arthur-Gwen relationship - maybe she figured that if Arthur and Gwen really did get together, Arthur would have a weaker claim? Some explanation would have been good there, instead of her being generically evil and wanting to cause trouble.%0D %0D I thought it was interesting (maybe not intentional), that when Morgana says Gwen has feelings for Arthur, Gwen replies "don't be silly". When Morgana says Arthur has feelings for Gwen, Gwen seems to acknowledge it, but says "it can never come to anything". Seemed like she was indicating the attraction was one-sided, though I don't think that was the writers' intent.%0D %0D Also, this is the second time Gwen and Merlin have scenes with Arthur in parallel where Arthur asks for their advice (in episode 1/2, they also counseled him on going to battle and trusting himself). Gwen tells Arthur you can't always get what you want, and that she'll stand by as he marries for duty. Merlin tells Arthur he's mad if he doesn't marry for love, and that even if he's king he has a choice. Merlin gives the better advice, which Arthur relies on.%0D %0D Next week introduces Gwen's brother, though already it looks a bit like the second season Lancelot episode, where Arthur goes to save Gwen. They really need to start thinking of new plots and situations.

by Anonymousreply 12010/16/2010

Also, did anyone else do a double-take when Merlin takes the long black scabbard and holds it to his mouth to describe to Gaius how long the nursemaid's tongue was? It seriously looked like a big, black dildo, and it was only when it cut away to show the gold lining that you could tell it was a scabbard. What were they thiking with that shot?

by Anonymousreply 12110/16/2010

I thought exactly the same thing r121

I just turned on the tv moment before and had a WTF? moment.

by Anonymousreply 12210/16/2010

"I didn't understand why Morgana would want to exploit the Arthur-Gwen relationship"

Did you get to see the preview for next week's episode, R120? It has to do with Morgana and Morgause's latest plot to overtake Camelot.

by Anonymousreply 12310/17/2010

I thought the same thing R121, except I didn't realize it was a scabbard, so I spent the entire scene wondering WTF he was holding.

These Arthur/Gwen violin moments continue to highlight the fact that they have no chemistry whatsoever. Next week will probably be quite painful...

by Anonymousreply 12410/17/2010

R123, I didn't catch the preview the first time - I guess it makes sense that Morgana would want to exploit any feelings Arthur may have for Gwen to use her as a pawn, though Morgana's becoming rather two-dimensional as a character with her evil plotting, especially since Gwen used to be her best (maybe only) friend. I'm not really digging Morgana this season - her becoming evil had the potential to open up a lot of dramatic possibilities, but she's become a bit cartoonish with the smirks and lack of internal conflict or feelings (and otherwise she's missing from episodes entirely).%0D %0D I thought the ending scene between Arthur and Gwen was cute - far less awkward than their previous encounters (and earlier interaction in the episode) - and it made me realize what I haven't been liking about their relationship: it takes itself so seriously. Every meeting is longing looks, downcast eyes, violins (I love the music, but it's overused) and statements about how "it can never be". What we never see is them acting at ease with one another as friends, as people who enjoy each other's company - as peers. When has there ever been "banter" between the two? I thought even Princess Elena this episode had a more believable relationship with Arthur, and it's because the writer allowed her to be flawed but also to joke with Arthur about not being impressed by him. It's also why I thought Gwen had more chemistry with Lancelot (and Gwaine) - because she was allowed to be more herself with them.%0D %0D If they'd allowed more time in the second season for Gwen and Arthur's relationship to develop - shown them interacting as comrades with hints of attraction before getting them to kiss - then these "we can never be" scenes might be more bearable. Unfortunately, next week's episode sort of promises more of the same - Gwen in peril, tears and proclamations of love. I'm actually kind of hoping that the "Gwen as nobility" rumor is true, because maybe it'll allow her to interact more comfortably with Arthur and show some pluckiness again (though who knows how they'll handle her love for Lancelot).

by Anonymousreply 12510/17/2010

R124, the dialogue during the "dildo" scene doesn't help things either:%0D %0D Gaius: "I've seen some strange tongues in my time. Maybe she was suffering from an infection. Was it discolored?"%0D %0D Merlin: "Discolored? Yes!"%0D %0D Gaius: "Brown?"%0D %0D Merlin: "Purple, and... long! Like... (holds up long phallic black object near his mouth) this long!"%0D %0D Gaius (looking at long black object, making a wry expression): "That's not an infection."%0D %0D Merlin: "Uh-uh. It's magic."%0D %0D Seriously - who wrote this dialogue, and chose to frame the shot that way - and how could they possibly be so oblivious. I've watched the scene a couple of times now, and laugh every time.

by Anonymousreply 12610/17/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** [bold](+ 500.000 iPlayer)[/bold]%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12710/18/2010

[quote]Also, did anyone else do a double-take when Merlin takes the long black scabbard and holds it to his mouth to describe to Gaius how long the nursemaid's tongue was?

Total Mr. Big (Sex and the City) moment where Carrie describes Mr. Big's penis size to the other girls and the waiter with that giant pepper (or salt?) shaker approaches.

by Anonymousreply 12810/18/2010

On another note, wasn't this last one the first since sometime last season where neither Arthur nor another hot guy (Lancelot, Gwain) appeared shirtless?

Obviously the anti-shirtless troll has gone away, he should be celebrating madly here

by Anonymousreply 12910/19/2010

R129, Merlin appeared shirtless back in the very first episode, I think - he had bruises after his fight with Arthur, and Gaius tended to them. I think the cast has joked about the fact that Merlin never gets the chance to go shirtless (which is probably because Colin Morgan, as beautiful as he is, hardly has the body of a fitness model).%0D %0D It's true that no one was shirtless this past episode - though Arthur was in a very loose shirt as Merlin tucked him into bed (and I thought it was cute that Arthur was caught by Uther basically having a pillow fight with his servant).

by Anonymousreply 13010/19/2010

Facebook recap for The Changeling is up.

Too bad they can't kill off Gwen and bring Elena on in her place. I liked Arthur/Gwen last season but now they're beginning to grate.

by Anonymousreply 13110/19/2010

Thought this week's episode was pretty good - it was nice seeing the main cast acting as a group again and going on an adventure, and Gwen was actually given stuff to do rather than moping about Arthur. Thought the Arthur-Gwen scenes were also pretty good (though that violin music crept in at the end) - they showed them actually interacting rather than pining over each other, and I liked how the declarations of love were indirectly stated.%0D %0D Morgana's become very one-note - I've lost count of how many dark looks and evil smirks she gives (which Merlin always returns with a "bitch, please!" look). But it was kind of fun to see her and Merlin basically engaging in a mean girl staring contest the entire episode.%0D %0D Two plot-related things - Morgause still refers to Morgana as "sister" (so I think they must share the same mother?), and there's no hint of Elyan being nobility, so the "Gwen is nobility" rumor seems laid to rest. Elyan will probably be a knight based on his fighting ability / merit, as will Lancelot, etc.%0D %0D And Gwaine returns next week - yay for hotness.

by Anonymousreply 13210/23/2010

By the way, thought this video of Colin and Bradley having a staring contest was pretty cute:

by Anonymousreply 13310/23/2010

I hate to say it but other than the Merlin/Morgana confrontation scenes in the forest this episode bored me. I don't feel like they've moving forward with the show at all and I liked the Arthur/Gwen relationship last season but this season they're beating us over the head with it too much.

by Anonymousreply 13410/23/2010

According to other medivial type of movies a lot of times a regular person becomes knighted for saving a nobleman's life. I'd guess that's how Gwen's brother becomes knight and she by association a lady.

I agree that the conflict between Merlin and Morgana was the best part of the episode. I also liked the whole rescue party mission stuff (very Dungeouns and Dragons roleplay game).

However I don't like it at all that Morgana doesn't seem to have one ounce of struggle or remorse to scheme against people she knows all her life (including her own maid).

by Anonymousreply 13510/24/2010

I agree with R132 about the evil sneers given by Morgana throughout the episode. It's becoming very tiresome and repetitive. At one point, I was hoping Merlin would pick up a rock and smash Morgana's cranium in before she woke up after that magical explosion near the end. Of course, that's not in his character to do that.

by Anonymousreply 13610/24/2010

Evil Morgana could be so much more...but yeah, so far she's a snooze (all eyebrow movements and lip curls).

But Gwen's handsome brother and the imminent return of Gwain give me hope for the rest of this season. Can Lancelot be far behind?

Shirtless Arthur, check (and a glimpse of Bradley's untamed pit hair, yet again). Homoerotic banter, check ( "Every morning you say the same thing..." and "Don't worry about your hair, Merlin")

Great locations, presumably some real and some CGI.

All in all, a good one.

by Anonymousreply 13710/24/2010

Looks like Merlin will get a fourth series. Only 10 episodes instead of 13 though.

by Anonymousreply 13810/24/2010

Huh, R86 was right on the money - because of the split season of Doctor Who, Merlin Series 4 won't air until early 2012 (instead of airing autumn-winter 2011) and will have 10 episodes to fit within the schedule. I think the producers said they originally envisioned this as having five series total.%0D %0D In the announcement the producers say, "We ... relish the chance to take the series to the next level with the long-awaited arrival of the Knights of the Round Table" - um, please let series 4 have some more plot development than that, though. I'm not going to criticize series 3 yet, because who knows what will happen in the next six episodes, but a reveal or two and some more changing character dynamics would be good.

by Anonymousreply 13910/25/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m**%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included)%0D %0D [quote]Huh, [R86] was right on the money - because of the split season of Doctor Who, Merlin Series 4 won't air until early 2012 (instead of airing autumn-winter 2011) and will have 10 episodes to fit within the schedule. I think the producers said they originally envisioned this as having five series total.%0D %0D I know R139, nobody ever believes me lol. %0D OK,joking aside the BBC official press release still mentions "next year" for S4 not 2012. If they start on Sept. 3rd, with only 10 eps, they would finish on Nov 5th which would leave them enough time for 6 eps of Dr. Who + Who Xmas ep/finale on Xmas day Sunday 25th. So maybe not a 12-13 months wait.%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14010/25/2010

Latest Facebook recap up:

by Anonymousreply 14110/25/2010

by Anonymousreply 14210/30/2010

Thought tonight's episode was really cool - it had that "epic" feel and scale again, especially the long conversation in the throne room, and hinted at some really good stuff to come later in the season. Warwick Davis was a bit underused, but the Fisher King was great.%0D %0D I liked how they treated Gwen this episode - the dynamic in her beginning scene with Merlin, where they act as jokey best friends, has been missing from the series for a while, and it's how I like her best - as her own person, with a cheery sense of humor. And it's great that she was given more to do than just mope after Arthur (and that they moved the plot along with her discovery) - will be interesting to see how that dynamic plays out, and maybe she'll have more plot-related stuff to do now.%0D %0D Arthur really came as kind of a dick - ungrateful, childish and taking all the credit. And I can't believe he fell unconscious YET AGAIN so Merlin could save him - it's a running gag now. And it's funny how they contrasted his behavior with Gwaine (giving Merlin a pat on the back, while Gwaine goes for a full hug). The Gwaine scenes with Merlin will probably only add to the fire for the Gwaine / Merlin slash fangirls.

by Anonymousreply 14310/30/2010

This was by very far the best episode of this season. Let's hope the remainder of them are this good or better. Gwen knowing about Morgana is a good thing but it would be even better if she could know about Merlin. But maybe I should stop holding my breath about that.

The only thing that really bugged was the desert-y place Arthur slogged through. It looked like an Arizona or Utah desert instead of a magical and mystical land. The cinematography was very weird too, the screen looked way too bright and orange. I'd rather they have gone with some dark forest but maybe there wasn't time.

Just so you know, in case Gwaine isn't on the show again, it's because he'll be chained to my bed. FOREVER. Absolutely scorching and cheeky to Arthur? Rawr!

by Anonymousreply 14410/30/2010

Yeah, R144, in one of the first scenes where Arthur was slogging through the Perilous Lands, you could really tell it was just him on a set against a green-screen because of the weird lighting, though the later scenes looked like they were outside and were far more realistic. It also seemed they were going for a Lord of the Rings feel for the castle and the wyverns / Nazgul, though later parts felt like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or something.%0D %0D I agree about Gwaine - so, so hot, and such good chemistry with every character he comes into contact with.

by Anonymousreply 14510/30/2010

[quote]It also seemed they were going for a Lord of the Rings feel for the castle and the wyverns / Nazgul, though later parts felt like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade or something.

That tower was completely out of Lord of the Rings and the later parts reminded me of when Indy and Short Round are trapped in that cave in Temple of Doom. But I'll forgive it because at least this didn't feel like a total retread of earlier episodes and it was an entertaining show with actual forward movement into Camelot mythology.

I never realized how great an actor Warwick Davis is till I saw him in this, he was terrific in such a limited role. I should go rewatch Willow. They get the best guest stars on this show.

by Anonymousreply 14610/30/2010

Hmm, was reading that this week's episode was originally supposed to be episode 10 (Bradley and Colin said the Perilous Lands were in the 10th episode and that it was one of their favorites), but they switched the order with 8 and 9. That made me worried that the next two episodes would be light on plot development (since they wouldn't involve Gwen knowing about Morgana), and next week's episode seems like another villain-of-the-week, but the description for episode 10 seems to involve a pretty huge plot development that would impact later episodes - maybe they did some rewrites and shifted things around?%0D %0D Also saw some interview with the producer from Season 2 where they described what they were hoping to go for with Gwen and Arthur in Season 3 - a "will they or won't they end up together" dynamic that would create tension and have the audience rooting for Gwen the underdog. If that's what they were going for with all those violin scenes ... I don't think they did it very well. It seems kind of silly to even attempt that dynamic when everyone pretty much assumed from Season 1 that they would end up together based on Arthurian legend.%0D %0D For me, the real dramatic tension with Arthur and Gwen isn't about whether they end up together, but how they'll navigate the love triangle with Lancelot and eventual betrayal while keeping the characters sympathetic and relatable. That's always been the most fascinating aspect of the Guinevere of legend for me - how you reconcile a character who has been so romanticized with her adulterous and disastrous actions, and whether we're supposed to admire or villify her, or something in between. That sort of internal complexity may be a bit beyond what the show is going for, though, if the sudden about-face and two-dimensional characterization of Morgana is any indication.

by Anonymousreply 14710/31/2010

By the way, Season 2 is FINALLY scheduled for release on DVD in the US, in January 2011.

by Anonymousreply 14810/31/2010

This was a pretty cool episode, part LOTR and part Indiana Jones. Gwaine needs copious amounts of oral sex, there can be no doubt. He is just a cool guy in a way completely different from Lancelot (who is also cool)

The hug was great, but Arthur would never hug Merlin. I love the arthur/merlin relationship because they have to live out these roles as basically master and slave and Arthur just can't bring himself to admit that his servant is his best friend. And anytime the walls seem to crack between them, I love the way Arthur mans up and tells Merlin to go do laundry or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 14911/01/2010

WEHO people, here's your chance to go Bradley hunting.%0D %0D [quote]In WeHo, CA. Holloween festival. Just saw "Merlin" (Prince Arthur) British actor Bradley James as a Ghostbuster!%0D about 7 hours ago via web%0D %0D Bradley's been in LA for about two weeks now, don't know how long he's stil staying.%0D Katie is also in LA apparently working on a few "projects".

by Anonymousreply 15011/01/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m**%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m**[/bold]%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15111/01/2010

I had no idea they were in the US, though I know Bradley's dad lives in Florida. I wonder what projects he and Katie are doing. Nothing listed on their IMDB pages so far.

R150, how do you know how long Bradley's been in LA?

by Anonymousreply 15211/01/2010

He's a very good boy in changing his location on his Facebook everytime he goes somewhere R152. %0D %0D Katie said in an interview she had projects in LA, Bradley could be work related or just a vacation since I think he has family and friends in the US.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15311/01/2010

I thought I read somewhere neither Bradley or Colin are on Facebook. Is it a verified account? Which interview with Katie did she say that?

Bradley used to live in Florida and still has family and friends there and I think Colin once said his brother lives in Boston.

by Anonymousreply 15411/01/2010

Finally got around to watching episode 8, and I agree it was the best of the season so far.

The Adventures of Prince Arthur Outside of Camelot with Gwaine and Merlin should be a spinoff between seasons 3 and 4.

A,G & M go to France. Cultural hilarity ensues.

A,G & M track monsters in the forest. Scared campfire huddling ensues.

A, G & M go to the seacoast. Naked bathing ensues.

by Anonymousreply 15511/01/2010

A Facebook recap for the last episode is up. Love the dig at the map:

by Anonymousreply 15611/03/2010

Sorry, I don't get the map joke. Is there more to it than a reference to Super Mario Bros. (because of the gold star)?

by Anonymousreply 15711/03/2010

R157, from what I remember, the shots of the "map" in the episode showed it to be extremely simple - an area with a few trees marked "Perilous Lands" or something, like a child's drawing - which begged the question of how useful it would be for Arthur's life-threatening quest, or why he needed to consult it for directions at all.

by Anonymousreply 15811/03/2010

Season 4 will be airing in 2011, not 2012 but no confirmed date yet.

I wonder what this means for Doctor Who.

by Anonymousreply 15911/03/2010

They'll probably go the two or three specials route with Doctor Who for 2011 and call it a season (like they did with the last David Tennant seasons).

BTW. the Sarah Jane Adventures had a recent two-parter featuring Matt Smith as the doctor and one of the other companions of the Doctor's past.

by Anonymousreply 16011/03/2010

The official website for Colin's new movie Island is now up:

by Anonymousreply 16111/04/2010

No R160, Dr. Who is a full series in 2011 : 13 eps + Xmas Special only it will be split in two parts. Part 1 (6 or 7 eps) airing Spring 2011 with a finale/cliff-hanger probably at Easter and part 2 (6 or 7 eps) airing Autumn 2011 (Merlin's usual spot) plus the Special on Xmas day.%0D %0D Maybe they'll split Merlin also : 5 eps before Xmas and 5 eps in Jan 2012 or if they start early enough in Sept. they can shove Merlin + DW part 1 before Xmas.%0D %0D %0D R152/R154, Bradley and Angel have FBs under false names. They were public and under their own names when Merlin started airing in 2008 but both changed names and threw every privacy measure they could find on them the moment they started getting stalked by fangirls.%0D A few people on LJ can still read their wall or whatever it is called (don't have a FB myself) so keep people informed where they are.%0D Nobody else has a FB and only Tony Head has a Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 16211/04/2010

[quote]Bradley and Angel have FBs under false names. They were public and under their own names when Merlin started airing in 2008 but both changed names and threw every privacy measure they could find on them the moment they started getting stalked by fangirls.

I hope you mean stalked online, not stalked IRL. I know they were new to this fame thing back then but I can't believe they'd be so dumb to have public FB pages under their own names. I'm surprised they don't stay off social networking sites altogether. It would be easy for people who know to let slip what names their accounts are under now especially after some crazy people already nicked personal photos from their accounts and put them up online.

by Anonymousreply 16311/04/2010

Posting as a US viewer and fan: Why is there a scheduling conflict between "Merlin" and "Dr Who" on the BBC? Is that particular timeslot guaranteed to both?

It would seem to me that having both of them air back-to-back would make sense, if they are both popular, and not on Saturday night but on Sunday or Monday when everyone is at home, not just kids. But regardless, there are seven nights a week to fill with primetime shows.

But I guess that's my American perspective. Saturday night TV here is reruns and bad cable movies for stoners and shut-ins.

by Anonymousreply 16411/04/2010

[quote]Why is there a scheduling conflict between "Merlin" and "Dr Who" on the BBC? Is that particular timeslot guaranteed to both?

Yes. The two shows take turns sharing that timeslot; DW finished its 5th season a while ago so it's on hiatus while Merlin airs its 3rd (I believe DW is filming its next season now or the Christmas special). However DW showrunner Steven Moffat is saying he'd like to split the next season of DW into two sets of airings with a break in between which means DW could interfere with Merlin's timeslot.

[quote]It would seem to me that having both of them air back-to-back would make sense, if they are both popular, and not on Saturday night but on Sunday or Monday when everyone is at home, not just kids.

British tv doesn't work like American tv. Both Merlin and DW are made as Saturday night, 'tea-time' television where families gather together to watch family-friendly shows. Unlike American tv, Saturdays are not dead zones for tv watching in the UK, at least not for everyone. That's why they take turns sharing that timeslot. They both film and air at different times of the year. If they both aired during the same time of the year, the BBC would have to find something else family-friendly to put on Saturdays the rest of the year which isn't the way they like to do it.

British tv is very different from American tv in general. A typical UK tv season is 6 episodes, sometimes less (3 episodes for Sherlock), sometimes more for the popular shows (DW, Robin Hood, Merlin). Episodes don't air at the exact same time each week or have the same running time! Doctor Who's s5 finale was about 60 minutes long while most episodes average about 45 minutes. Instead of set tv seasons, sometimes they'll decide to do a series of 'specials' (Torchwood: Children of Earth, David Tennant's last season of DW). There can be years between new seasons of a show made. Compared to the way things work in the US it's very erratic-sounding but I think it adds to quality when writers aren't forced to churn out episodes just to fill up a 22-episode season.

by Anonymousreply 16511/04/2010

They've released another general season 3 trailer (was shown at the BFI screening in September) which has some spoilers on returning / new characters and new plot points for the rest of the season. Can't wait:

by Anonymousreply 16611/05/2010

And an update on Colin's other movie Parked:

by Anonymousreply 16711/05/2010

Thought this video of Colin and Bradley doing their weekly "quest" was unbelievably cute. Colin's art skills leave much to be desired:

by Anonymousreply 16811/06/2010

WHERE'S THE MERLIN TORRENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

by Anonymousreply 16911/06/2010

Really "meh" filler episode tonight - so slooow, and everyone seemed slightly out of character or cartoonish. Really reminded me of the Goblin's Gold episode earlier in the season, which at least had (crude) humor going for it. As much as I enjoy Richard Wilson usually, he seemed sort of stiff in this one.%0D %0D Not sure what to make of next week's episode - either it will be a major plot development, or Merlin will be able to push the "reset" button by the end of the episode and Gwen and Arthur's relationship will return to being the "love that can never be" and become even MORE unbearable. This series really has been off-and-on in terms of quality - I seem to really enjoy every third episode or so (episodes 2, 5 and 8 being the high points for me) and find the others to be either okay or just filler-ish. At least the season 3 trailer promises some good plot developments for the last couple of episodes, though.

by Anonymousreply 17011/06/2010

Interestingly, I quite enjoyed tonight's episode. Maybe I had low expectations after reading all the negative criticism of it but I thought it had some great conflict and dramatic tension between Merlin and Gaius. I could buy Gaius and Alice as a couple who genuinely loved each other and could never be together, unlike Arthur and Gwen who I'm really bored of by now. And I loved all the Merlin in the library scenes, especially the scene of Merlin enchanting Geoffrey of Monmouth (who needs some breathe-right strips stat btw because damn, that was some loud snoring!)

I think this is the same episode Colin was referring to in this SDCC interview. The only thing I actively hated was the stupid-looking magic creature but that's a minor quibble. It's funny because I was dreading this episode after it's preview last week but now I'm dreading next week's episode more. Much as I love Morgause, I'm sick of Morgana the incompetent sorceress and especially sick of Arthur and Gwen, the most boring couple-wannabes ever.

But old Merlin should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 17111/07/2010

I kinda wished they'd explored Gaius's past a bit more, since it seems he has the msot skeletons in his closet of any of the characters from that period - helping Morgause escape, etc. - and bears the most guilt over what he's done. I didn't buy him lashing out at Merlin for not wanting him to be "happy"; it almost made me think he was under magical influence again.%0D %0D I got a good laugh out of people noting the Freudian implications of Arthur ramming his lance through a tiny ring held aloft by Merlin (what Arthur later refers to as "lance and hoops" practice)

by Anonymousreply 17211/07/2010

"That'd be disappointing (though it would preserve slash fans' argument that Merlin is Arthur's true soulmate, two sides of the same coin and all that)."%0D %0D %0D You don't have to be a 'slash fan' to think the above. It's just pretty obvious if you really look.

by Anonymousreply 17311/07/2010

Watch the mirth as they ask one another which 'fruit' would you be.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17411/07/2010

Someone on another version of this YouTube clip posted 'Boys you're already fruits, why play word games'...%0D %0D Lol. "Drag-on fruit".%0D %0D Hehe yeah classy. :)

by Anonymousreply 17511/07/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m**%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D [bold]Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m**[/bold] %0D %0D (**iPlayer not included)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 17611/08/2010

The trailer to Colin's new movie Island is now up on the official website:

by Anonymousreply 17711/08/2010

Another facebook recap.%0D %0D R177, his voice sounds so different in the trailer - guess he purposely raised his voice for the movie.

by Anonymousreply 17811/09/2010

Can't believe they took what could have been such a major plot development and managed to push the reset button by the end of the episode. I heard that they reshuffled the order of episodes, and that tonight's episode was originally supposed to air before the Perilous Lands / Fisher King episode - didn't think that could be possible with Uther discovering Arthur and Gwen's romance, but now it makes sense, because the plot really didn't advance at all. Gwen and Arthur are still stuck having their stolen moments of "the love that can never be", with violins playing endlessly in the background. Gwen acted as if she didn't know Morgana had magic (which she discovered in episode 8); she only thought Morgana might have been responsible because of her trademark smirk. So this episode could very well have been intended to air before the Fisher King episode.%0D %0D Didn't think it was a bad episode in and of itself, but just felt frustrating. It was basically a big tease - teasing Merlin revealing his secret, teasing Arthur and Gwen having a relationship, but it ended up being another episode of the week that left things exactly as they were before by the end of it.%0D %0D I still don't find Arthur and Gwen's relationship to be particularly interesting, simply because it seems to be all surface and storybook, violins and pretty speeches with very little real emotion or connection. But maybe I'm biased because I've always found Arthur and Merlin's relationship to be the anchor for the show.%0D %0D Don't have much hope for next week's episode advancing the plot either. I guess the only hope is that episodes 12 and 13 advance things in a big way (those are the ones where Lancelot is supposed to reappear, as well as Percival, etc., so hopefully they'll go for a more epic / plotty feel). Can't believe it's almost the end of the season, and pretty much nothing's changed from the start besides Gwen finally discovering Morgana has magic.

by Anonymousreply 17911/14/2010

Merlin as the elderly sorcerer nearly got caught out by his hiccups.

by Anonymousreply 18011/14/2010

I have to say, as annoying as the lack of plot development can be, Merlin being an old man was pretty hilarious - being able to tell Arthur and Uther off, and making all those crazy faces with the funny voice, and lurching around the castle. Colin Morgan must have been having a ball.

by Anonymousreply 18111/14/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m** [bold](+ 448.000 iPlayer)[/bold]%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m** %0D %0D [bold]Ep 309 : Overnights 5,60m - Share 22.10% - AI 89 - Finals 6.90m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 18211/15/2010

There are some videos of deleted scenes from the first half of the season. Some of them I think should really have been included, if only because they flesh things out and make things a bit more understandable (e.g., I always thought it was weird how Arthur didn't question Merlin getting locked up in the goblin episode, but the deleted scene shows them having a conversation where Arthur says he'll look into things, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 18311/15/2010

[quote]I still don't find Arthur and Gwen's relationship to be particularly interesting

I liked them together last season but this season they're honestly boring the crap out of me. And it's almost stupid how pointless it is in the sense that Arthur is willing to give up so much for her when the audience knows she'll end up betraying him with Lancelot one day.

by Anonymousreply 18411/15/2010

Promo pic for finale.

by Anonymousreply 18511/16/2010

Hot homoerotic eye-candy at the pic in R185. It has minor spoilers on which knights will appear in the final episode.%0D %0D I don't care where they try to go with the plots; this show will always be the gayest thing on TV for me.

by Anonymousreply 18611/17/2010

A facebook recap for the last episode.

by Anonymousreply 18711/17/2010

Wow, two-part season finale looks like it'll be pretty epic. Promo pictures for the first part (episode 12) spoil the basic premise for the plot. Don't see why we had to wait until the end of the season for all this to happen, though.

by Anonymousreply 18811/17/2010

Merlin on Children in Need just now. No special skit this year just some appeals and more bloopers.

by Anonymousreply 18911/19/2010

Season 3 on SyFy starting from January 7 at 10 PM

by Anonymousreply 19011/19/2010

I actually really liked tonight's episode. It was sort of an episode of the week with yet another tournament, but it was well-written, well-acted, and had unusual depth and emotion for the show - it really gave some good insight into the characters' internal struggles and their relationships with one another. Was surprised that "Dudley Dursley" (don't know his real name) was such an effective actor.%0D %0D It's kind of ironic (and sad) that the guest of the week had more of a complex, believable struggle with magic and made a better counterpoint to Merlin as a magic user than Morgana. I kind of wish Merlin and Morgana had been having these conversations all season instead of her giving a glare and coming up with some other far-fetched plot to get Uther killed. But hopefully there will be other places to take her character next season.%0D %0D The preview for next week's episode doesn't hint at the scenes from the spoilers at R188, and the description I read for the episode has another plot point (something about a slave trader), so I guess it'll be pretty action-packed.

by Anonymousreply 19111/20/2010

Harry Melling was the guest star of the latest episode and he also plays Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter franchise.

by Anonymousreply 19211/20/2010

I agree that tonight's episode was great and a nice change from the Arthur/Gwen boring lovefest and the 3 Magical Stooges (Morgause, Morgana and Cenred). Definitely hugely ironic to see magic-loathing Dudley Dursely play a character who is magical. Harry Melling's Harry Potter co-stars must have gotten a kick out of it.

Those scenes with Colin and Harry were terrifically written and acted. A little bit after school-specialish, but still wonderfully done and it was nice to see Merlin be a mentor to someone else after being mentored himself by Gaius for two seasons. I had an awful feeling Dudley, I mean Gilli, would be killed off by the end of the episode so I'm glad it didn't go that way.

On a shallow note I have to pipe in and say how beautiful Colin has looked this season, especially this episode. He looked a little chubby faced first season and too scrawny second season but now he looks great and his hair is no longer that awful bowl cut. I wish he would be cast in Peter Jackson's Hobbit movie. He'd be perfect as an elf with those cute pointy ears of his.

by Anonymousreply 19311/20/2010

yes, colin is a fat pig!

by Anonymousreply 19411/20/2010

Looking at who's written each Merlin episode, I have to say that Julian Jones is by far my favorite writer (I guess he's the head writer since he's one of the co-producers and writes the season openers and closers). I think he's done all the strongest episodes this season in terms of plot and characterization (episodes 2, 5, 8 and now 11), and I'm glad he's doing the finale as well - I'm hoping for big things after kind of an uneven season.

by Anonymousreply 19511/21/2010

I didn't say Colin was fat, R194, only that his face seemed fuller the first season. Though he looked far healthier then than in season 2 when he had gotten way too thin. He looks best the way he is now.

Julian Jones is all right. My favorites tend to be Ben Vanstone who apparently didn't write for this season and Howard Overman who's more busy writing for his own show Misfits.

by Anonymousreply 19611/21/2010

I didn't like this episode, but I haven't liked several of them this season.%0D %0D Why would the prince's servant have to clean anybody else's shoe? Isn't that taking time away from his duties to the prince?%0D %0D So Gaius says magic has corrupted the guy, and a few scenes later he himself repeats the line, that magic corrupted him.%0D %0D I liked a couple Arthur/Merlin scenes, then the end where Uther tells Arthur he knows about him throwing the match and thanks him; that's all for this episode. %0D %0D So the two-part finale is next, and that's it for the season? Nothing really happened this year. We still don't know what happened to Morgana during her missing year.%0D

by Anonymousreply 19711/21/2010

I think what I liked about the episode was that it had Arthur and Merlin's stories in parallel around a theme of living in a "shadow" (title for the episode was "The Sorcerer's Shadow") - Merlin living in the shadow of who he truly is, Arthur living in the shadow of his father - and showed them struggling with their choices to continue living that way because of their duties and destiny. I thought Gilli / Dudley was good about calling Merlin out on his self-sacrificing ways (and I didn't know Harry Melling had that range), even if his change of heart was a bit abrupt at the end.%0D %0D One complaint I've read about the writing for Arthur this season is that he's reverted to becoming a childish immature prat who not only mistreats Merlin constantly and gets embarrassingly googly-eyed around Gwen (the idea of him openly giving up the kingdom he's spent his life protecting for her was a bit far-fetched and out of character, even if it was supposed to be "romantic"), but also doesn't act particularly noble or have those moments of self-reflection as the future king of legend should. For example, he was a real ass throughout the Perilous Lands episode (even though I loved that episode overall). I thought this episode sort of put his character back on track.

by Anonymousreply 19811/21/2010

[quote]Why would the prince's servant have to clean anybody else's shoe? Isn't that taking time away from his duties to the prince?

I don't think any of the Camelot servants work JUST for their masters. They do other work, too. You see Gwen not just attending to Morgana but also doing other housework around the castle. Merlin probably asked to work taking care of the weapons or whatever for the tournament.

[quote]Nothing really happened this year. We still don't know what happened to Morgana during her missing year.

I wouldn't expect to find out about this anytime soon either, if at all. I doubt even the writers themselves ever created a backstory about what happened during that time.

This is a great article to read about the way UK tv writers are different from US tv writers. It helps explain some things like why there are continuity or character consistency problems in shows like Merlin and Doctor Who:

by Anonymousreply 19911/21/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m** (+ 448.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m** %0D %0D Ep 309 : Overnights 5,60m - Share 22.10% - AI 89 - Finals 6.90m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 310 : Overnights 6.30m - Share 25.10% - AI 87 - Finals 7.37m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 20011/22/2010

Heard that episode 310's ratings were the best ever for the show across all 3 seasons, even better than the pilot. I think some fangirls tried to paint it as proof that the general audience wants to see more Arthur / Gwen or something, but I think I also heard Merlin didn't have to go head-to-head against X Factor that evening, which might be a more believable explanation. Good to hear the show's ratings are holding up well, though.

by Anonymousreply 20111/22/2010

Actually, nevermind, seems the overnight ratings for last week's episode (episode 11, the Sorcerer's Shadow) beat the ratings for the previous week - 6.33M, vs. 6.28M. So last week's episode would be the highest of the show overall, though I guess these are just preliminary figures.

by Anonymousreply 20211/22/2010

The scenes involving Merlin and Gilly in episode 11 were some of the most moving in the entire series so far. I hope we see more of Gilly next season.

And the episode certainly advanced the evolution Arthur/Uther relationship, and the Prince's position as future King.

Here's hoping the final two keep the progress going.

by Anonymousreply 20311/22/2010

[quote]I hope we see more of Gilly next season.

I doubt that's going to happen. Non-canon guest characters don't tend to come back. But Harry Melling was great and I hope has a solid career.

In other amusing news, Colin's picture drawn for the quest thing raised 620 pounds for Children in Need at auction. Colin, babe, I love you, but don't quit your day job.

by Anonymousreply 20411/23/2010

Spoilery BBC commercial for the finale episodes - gives away some of the things that'll be appearing, but makes everything look epic.

by Anonymousreply 20511/25/2010

Quite a packed episode tonight - loved it and can't wait for the finale. Love that Gwaine and Arthur were basically having a dick-measuring contest (and that Merlin had to come between them), and Gwaine teasing Merlin - Gwaine pretty much always adds some fun to the proceedings.%0D %0D Morgana's smirking was so over the top - I'm guessing / hoping that in the finale it will be revealed she's been brainwashed by Morgause from her year in captivity, and that's why she goes for a full on smirk every time Morgause appears or something. If not, it really is the worst two-dimensional writing / acting for a character in quite some time (also, I don't know how else they'll continue with her character for the next series).%0D %0D The characterization of Arthur still bugs me this season, though I'm glad he and Merlin had a bit more interaction this episode. Him taking the druid boy hostage with a sword did not seem honorable and in character at all. But we'll see where he goes with things in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 20611/27/2010

Ah, a Gwaine episode. I could look at him all day.

Yeah, I have nothing substantial to add today.

by Anonymousreply 20711/27/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m** (+ 448.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m** %0D %0D Ep 309 : Overnights 5,60m - Share 22.10% - AI 89 - Finals 6.90m**%0D %0D Ep 310 : Overnights 6.30m - Share 25.10% - AI 87 - Finals 7.37m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 311 : Overnights 6.40m - Share 23.40% - AI 88 - Finals 7.42m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 20811/29/2010

I wish this show would get cancelled. It has become ridiculous.%0D %0D Bradley James is a bad actor with a pudding bowl haircut and crooked teeth, and I hate the way they keep trying to make him into hot stuff.

by Anonymousreply 20911/29/2010

Oh, wah wah, R209. The show's still got a ways to go (hopefully the producers and writers take some fan comments about character and plot development to heart in preparing for the next season). And Bradley James is adorable, especially his endless variety of comic facial expressions while being punched or knocked unconscious.%0D %0D A facebook recap for the last episode. Loved the comment about using "Accio"; I mean, Merlin can stop time and move objects with his mind (as in the pilot), but he just watched like an idiot while the cup flew out of his hands. And the whole Gwaine / Merlin / Arthur thing really has played out like some subtextual love triangle in every episode Gwaine's been in.

by Anonymousreply 21011/30/2010

Eww. What business does Bradley James have being in Los Angeles?%0D %0D Tell him to go back to his own damn country.

by Anonymousreply 21112/01/2010

I tried to order the action figure set as a Christmas gift, but apparently can't ship to the US?!

Anyone have a line on any merchandise (T-shirts or whatever) that I can order for US delivery before Christmas?

by Anonymousreply 21212/02/2010

Try this one R212.

by Anonymousreply 21312/03/2010

Really liked the season finale - plenty of action, hot eye candy (Percival, wow), and gay subtext galore to the point of fan service - Leon cross-dressing, Merlin and Lancelot having their sleepover conversation, etc. I liked that instead of trying to tie things in a bow and pushing the reset button, they hinted at the beginnings of the legend and left things open as to what direction Camelot would take. And finally, they made Arthur less of an asshole and returned him to having hints of nobility and treating Merlin as a friend.%0D %0D Was sorta disappointed that they left Morgana so utterly evil, but liked that they gave her some actual emotion in facing Uther and crying over Morgause, rather than remaining completely cartoony. And as much as I'm sick of that violin music creeping in every time Arthur and Gwen kiss, at least they acknowledge there'll be a love triangle with Lancelot in the mix, and that Gwen is having a bit of a struggle - I continue to think they want Gwen to admire the king she sees in Arthur, and to accept being his queen out of honor and respect, but to truly have romantic feelings and passion for Lancelot.%0D %0D Guess I'll have to wait another year for my Merlin fix. Overall, thought this season was much more of a mixed bag than the previous two seasons, but some strong episodes and the addition of characters like Gwaine made up for it a bit.

by Anonymousreply 21412/04/2010

It had its epic moments but I still vastly prefer last year's finale over this one. Especially since I'm getting so damn sick of no one finding out about Merlin's magic.

by Anonymousreply 21512/04/2010

Yeah, I agree the season 2 finale had a bit more in the way of character development, both for Merlin himself and Merlin / Arthur. This finale had nice moments between the two, but there were so many characters involved and so much happening there really wasn't time for any introspective moments. But I liked that they incorporated more elements from the legend rather than sticking to the self-contained episode-of-the-week universe they're usually in.%0D %0D It wasn't clear to me whether Uther finally realized that Morgana was magic or not - her speech to him about the innocents that had been killed and feeling alone implied that she had told him she was magic, but it wasn't clear. And yeah, it's silly how they contrive to knock someone unconscious (in this case, Morgause) whenever there's the possibility that Merlin will use magic and someone else will find out about him.%0D %0D Producer Julian Murphy (the guy who writes the main episodes, including the finale) gave an interview where he looked back at season 3, and it apparently pissed some fans off - first, because he talked about how both Gwen and Morgana had been allowed to develop as characters this season (when in fact all Morgana did was smirk like she was some mustache-twiddling villain, and Gwen just mooned over Arthur, which isn't exactly a role model of character development for females) and said the show doesn't "pander" to Merlin / Arthur slash fans and they see innuendo everywhere. I'll admit some fans will interpret every glance between the two as a declaration of true love, but I find the statement a bit incredulous - there are some dialogue / shots / scenes, etc. that are far more homoerotic and innuendo-laden than you'd see on other shows. And in the end, there's no denying that Merlin and Arthur have a very intense friendship and bond that is truly a form of love, even if the producers don't want to call it romantic love.

by Anonymousreply 21612/05/2010

This big guy Percival..didn't we see Percival last year as the young skinny squire of Lancelot? This guy was a giant, and I bet he gives Lancelot a proper seeing too on cold foresty nights.

by Anonymousreply 21712/05/2010

High quality promo pictures from the last episode - Santiago Cabrera, Eoin Macken and Tom Hopper, damn. The writing on the show might leave a lot to be desired, but the casting people sure know what they're doing.

by Anonymousreply 21812/05/2010

And here's a video of Tom Hopper (Percival) doing a naked photoshoot for Cosmopolitan UK - hubba hubba.

by Anonymousreply 21912/05/2010

[quote]This big guy Percival..didn't we see Percival last year as the young skinny squire of Lancelot?

Which episode are you referring to? The only episode Lancelot appeared in last season was 'Lancelot and Guinevere' and Percival wasn't in it. As far as I know Lancelot has never had squires in this version because he's not of noble birth in this show.

by Anonymousreply 22012/05/2010

[quote]Harry Melling was the guest star of the latest episode and he also plays Dudley Dursley in the Harry Potter franchise.%0D %0D I know it was from the other week but he really played a blinder. Very promising start for him. Very strong performance. %0D %0D And the shallower part of me says I really don't mind the plotlines/directions as long as Arthur keeps having virtual eyesex with Merlin I'm cool. Gwain is great fun too, it's almost a shame to rip him from his male buddies and potentially begin a love affair with Gwen. He's so much fun with the boys. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 22112/05/2010

I really fancy Lancelot.

by Anonymousreply 22212/05/2010

He was on this week. Wasn't he Amy Pond's cousin or something on Dr. Who?

by Anonymousreply 22312/05/2010

R221, I think Gwaine is safe in that regard - it's Lancelot who's supposed to have the love triangle with Gwen.%0D %0D R223, Percival / Tom Hopper supposedly played "Jeff" on Season 5 of Doctor Who (haven't started on Season 5 yet, so I didn't see the episode).

by Anonymousreply 22412/05/2010

Oops, Julian Murphy (the producer who gave the interview at R216) isn't the head writer - he doesn't write any episodes at all. It's Julian Jones who writes the main episodes (including the finale). That makes more sense to me, because I can't imagine the guy who wrote episodes such as "The Last Dragonlord" denying the innuendo and subtext of the show, even if they never make it explicit because of the "family" audience.%0D %0D In fact, another producer, Johnny Capps, was a bit more forthright about the subtext when the show first started (article below): "It is a very, very intense friendship.%E2%80%88All epic tales have some elements of homo-eroticism in them, so we were always going to pose these sort of questions . . . These are men fighting with swords who get up to desperate things.%E2%80%9D%0D %0D On an unrelated note, the finale apparently broke yet another overnight ratings record for the show across all seasons (episode 10 broke the record first, then episode 11 topped that, and now episode 13 has the highest ratings of all).

by Anonymousreply 22512/05/2010

Are they going to make all these new actors regulars? They're all knights now, so they should be in more episodes next season (Lancelot, Gwaine, Percival and Gwen's brother).%0D %0D I would bet that Gwaine finds out or is told about Merlin's magic before Arthur does. Gwaine/Merlin is certainly a closer friendship than Lancelot/Merlin. And Gwaine hasn't been shown to have a problem with people who have magic.%0D %0D This season wasn't very good overall. I can only think of 3 episodes that I thought were very good, all involving Gwaine.

by Anonymousreply 22612/05/2010

hmm maybe I am getting my stories confused, or mixing this up with Excalibur...I could swear some young squire followed Lancelot all the way to Camelot but I guess I am thinking of a different Lancelot.

by Anonymousreply 22712/05/2010

[quote]Are they going to make all these new actors regulars? They're all knights now, so they should be in more episodes next season (Lancelot, Gwaine, Percival and Gwen's brother).

Half the episodes each season are filler and have nothing to do with Arthurian legend so probably not. I'd say they're recurring characters at best. Lancelot will probably get more screentime than the others; the finale seemed to imply than the love triangle gets explored more next season. We might see Gwaine some too but I have my doubts about seeing all that much of Ilyan or Percival who seems more like a tacked-on plot contrivance at this point.

Galahad was Lancelot and Elaine's son in the legends so if the writers stick to that in this show, we might never see him.

[quote]This season wasn't very good overall. I can only think of 3 episodes that I thought were very good, all involving Gwaine.

Sadly, I'd have to agree. Colin Morgan's nevertheless amazing performances and the hotness and charm that is Gwaine are mostly what's keeping me watching at this point.

by Anonymousreply 22912/05/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m** (+ 448.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m** %0D %0D Ep 309 : Overnights 5,60m - Share 22.10% - AI 89 - Finals 6.90m**%0D %0D Ep 310 : Overnights 6.30m - Share 25.10% - AI 87 - Finals 7.37m**%0D %0D Ep 311 : Overnights 6.40m - Share 23.40% - AI 88 - Finals 7.42m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 312 : Overnights 5.90m - Share 20.90% - AI 90 - Finals 7.12m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 23012/06/2010

I really enjoyed the series 3 finale. I guess I had forgotten that Lancelot knew Merlin had magic.

Incorporating both the Lady of the Lake and Sword in the Stone elements was clever.

But maybe the biggest surprise was Gaius kicking ass against Morgause with some big magic of his own. Nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 23112/06/2010

Can't stand Bradley James. I would hate having to be on the same set as him. He is obsessed with football and sports and talks about nothing else.%0D %0D He has admitted he has only read about 3 books in his life.

by Anonymousreply 23212/07/2010

I happen to like him, or at least the persona he presents in interviews and features about the show - he always comes off as laid back, down-to-earth, and maintaining a tongue-in-cheek sense of humor about himself and the show (as in the interview below). And he seems to get along with the other people on set - not only Colin, but other castmembers and crew as well.

by Anonymousreply 23312/07/2010

[quote]I guess I had forgotten that Lancelot knew Merlin had magic.

I have to say that this particular thing never made much sense to me. Lancelot, a character who is hardly on the show finds out about Merlin but no one of significance (like Arthur or Gwen or even Morgana) ever does? It's weird and I can't understand what the writers were thinking or what plot purpose it serves to have a character who is hardly around discover Merlin's magic but never one of Merlin's friends who he sees every day.

[quote]But maybe the biggest surprise was Gaius kicking ass against Morgause with some big magic of his own.

Can't say I agree with this either. The show is called Merlin, not Gaius, yet we never see Merlin's magic changing or growing in any way. I would've rather seen Merlin fight her instead of Gaius having to come and save him. The lack of character and story growth this season has been really irritating. One of the things I was looking forward to this season was getting to see Morgana do some magic since she was away with Morgause for a year. Yet we never got to see Morgana do much magic or even Merlin other than the usual. How are we supposed to believe that Merlin and Morgana become such powerful wizards in the future if we never see them take steps toward that or believe that Arthur and Merlin are the best of friends if we see Arthur be such a jackass to Merlin or keep saying how much he hates magic and he never finds out about Merlin?

I did like the legend-y moments in the finale though. And of course you can never have too much Gwaine.

by Anonymousreply 23412/07/2010

Yeah, for me the two biggest disappointments this season were 1) the complete cartooniness and villainy of Morgana, and 2) Arthur being an ass and an idiot, both with Merlin and Gwen.%0D %0D Morgana's always had a darker side, even from the first season, but she was more balanced - standing up for people like Gwen and Merlin, showing concern for Arthur. This character is unrecognizable (ordering the murder of innocents?), to the point where you wonder why they bothered writing her in the previous seasons at all if they were going to abandon that character so quickly. I've always thought the Morgan Le Fay of legend had more shades of gray (she opposes and tests Arthur constantly, yet is still one of the people who bears him to Avalon in the end), and was hoping to see that more ambiguous relationship reflected in the show - playing a "villain", but still showing affection and love for her friends. But this Morgana is just evil, with only threadbare justifications of feeling hated and betrayed.%0D %0D And even though Arthur was supposed to "grow" this season and rely more on people like Merlin, most of the time he regressed to his Season 1 character - throwing things at Merlin, using him for target practice (which is the very thing Merlin first confronted him about in the pilot), refusing to show gratitude for his help, etc. And yes, he's supposed to be in love with Gwen in order to marry her, but offering to give up Camelot for her? He, too, was almost unrecognizable, except in the first two and last two episodes.%0D %0D I agree it's annoying Merlin's magic hasn't grown at all - and why does the show always make it a point to have his healing spells fail? I actually liked Gaius being the one to use magic in the finale - as in the facebook recap for the episode (below), it was very much a "Not my daughter, you bitch!" moment that I couldn't help but cheer for.%0D %0D That's the thing - I complain about the show a bit, but I still return to it each week and often enjoy it despite knowing it could be so much better with stronger and more consistent writing. It never reaches the heights Doctor Who sometimes does (though apparently its ratings now match Doctor Who's, against tougher competition), but the core concept is still compelling for me. And Arthur and Merlin's relationship is still probably the most well-developed gay romance I've seen in fiction, even if the show won't officially acknowledge that's what it is.

by Anonymousreply 23512/08/2010

Why has the season been cut from 13 episodes to 10 next year?%0D %0D Is it because of the BBC budget cuts?

by Anonymousreply 23612/08/2010

R236, yes, that is the reason given by the producers (below), though I thought the show was funded through outside sources as well. Don't think it's ratings-related, since as noted above the show's ratings are the best they've ever been and have gone up through the season. The other possible reason for the 10-episode series is to fit within the programming block, since Doctor Who's season will be split up into two halves, and Merlin shares the same time slot.%0D %0D "Talking of series four, Murphy reveals why it has will only be 10 episodes long as opposed to the usual 13.%0D %0D %E2%80%9CIt was brutally about money,%E2%80%9D he admits. %E2%80%9CMerlin is an expensive show, no question of that. And what we are not prepared to do is cut its budget or production values. It%E2%80%99s not a programme you can do that with. For us, Merlin relies on those production values. So I think it was a combination of our desire not to change or reduce the budget, and the lack of money at the BBC and elsewhere. The BBC has had a really tough hit.%0D %0D But the reduction in episodes could have a silver lining.%0D %0D %E2%80%9CWe are now discussing the fifth series with the BBC, and I think it potentially preserves the programme for longer yes. There is talks of specials, there is talk about ways we can fill in the gap, but these are tough times for British broadcasters.%E2%80%9D

by Anonymousreply 23712/08/2010

Ep 301 : Overnights 5.82m - Share 25.70% - AI 88 - Finals 6.49m** (+ 500.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 302 : Overnights 4,99m - Share 20.90% - AI 89 - Finals 6.06m**%0D %0D Ep 303 : Overnights 5,20m - Share 23,70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.22m**%0D %0D Ep 304 : Overnights 5,51m - Share 22.50% - AI 88 - Finals 6.42m** (+ 448.000 iPlayer)%0D %0D Ep 305 : Overnights 5,36m - Share 21.10% - AI 88 - Finals 6.36m**%0D %0D Ep 306 : Overnights 5,50m - Share 21.70% - AI 87 - Finals 6.40m**%0D %0D Ep 307 : Overnights 5,79m - Share 22.10% - AI 87 - Finals 6.82m** %0D %0D Ep 308 : Overnights 5,84m - Share 22.80% - AI 88 - Finals 6.92m** %0D %0D Ep 309 : Overnights 5,60m - Share 22.10% - AI 89 - Finals 6.90m**%0D %0D Ep 310 : Overnights 6.30m - Share 25.10% - AI 87 - Finals 7.37m**%0D %0D Ep 311 : Overnights 6.40m - Share 23.40% - AI 88 - Finals 7.42m**%0D %0D Ep 312 : Overnights 5.90m - Share 20.90% - AI 90 - Finals 7.12m**%0D %0D [bold]Ep 313 : Overnights 6.60m - Share 22.80% - AI 91 - Finals 7.67m**[/bold]%0D %0D (**iPlayer not included) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 23812/13/2010

Funny interview in which Bradley is confused/bored by the Arthur/Gwen storyline and wants Lancelot to fall in love with Arthur. Also Season 3 is going to start airing on SyFy Jan 7th.

by Anonymousreply 23912/18/2010

Yes, the cast has started making the interview rounds for the US s3 premiere. Some interesting tidbits in those interviews: Katie recently made a movie (didn't give any more details), Colin's movie Parked premiered at some Italian film festival and may come to the US soon, the current trailer for Colin's movie Island and, er, Colin's not really allergic to tomatoes. Still no sign of Angel or Bradley doing anything during their hiatuses though, hmm.

by Anonymousreply 24012/18/2010

I'd wager 'Angel and Bradley' are a figment made up for the fangirls.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 24112/18/2010

[quote]I'd wager 'Angel and Bradley' are a figment made up for the fangirls.

I doubt it. you have to remember the majority of the audience is children, and mostly boys at that, it's not something that has been covered at all in the childrens magazines or news programmes.

by Anonymousreply 24212/18/2010

Didn't someone mention in this thread a while back something about Bradley making a movie in the US? Though there's no mention of it on his IMDB page.

by Anonymousreply 24312/18/2010

Forgot to mention, Colin's signed onto yet another project in 2011, according to this interview. I wish he'd play an elf in the new Hobbit movie. He's certainly got the ears for it.

There's never been any confirmation of Bradley and Angel being together.

by Anonymousreply 24412/18/2010

According to the fangirls who stalk Facebook, Bradley is with the actress who played Elena and Angel is with Sir Leon.

by Anonymousreply 24512/18/2010

I had no idea that were doing another series on this subject. "Camelot" will be on Starz next year, with Joseph Fiennes as Merlin. It's done by someone associated with Torchwood and James Purefoy is in it, definitely will be a more adult version.

by Anonymousreply 24612/18/2010

Bumping because Merlin Season 3 will begin airing in the U.S. on Syfy starting this Friday, Jan. 7th. They have a mini-marathon in the morning from 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM with the latter half of Season 2, and then episode 1 of Season 3 airs at 10 PM and 12 AM.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 24701/05/2011

Thanks for the bump and tip, r247.

I watched all of season three on stream on my laptop, and am looking forward to watching the best of it again in HD on the bigger screen.

Here's hoping SyFy doesn't trim too much from the original.

by Anonymousreply 24801/06/2011

Any DL Merlin fans in the UK going to see Colin's play in London? Colin is starring in 'Our Private Life' at the Royal Court Theatre. Tonight was opening night. According to some fan reports he plays a gay bipolar Latino named Carlos.

So wish I could see it. Even if I could go the show is probably completely sold out by now.

by Anonymousreply 24902/11/2011

r234, then you missed the episode with Merlin's dad. It was my favorite and the only one that made me tear up.

by Anonymousreply 25002/11/2011

I still don't get why Bradley James got a role on this show. He has very little acting experience, and it shows in a lot of the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 25102/11/2011

"Camelot" premieres on Starz tonight at 10, opposite the next episode of "Merlin" season 3 on SyFy.

by Anonymousreply 25204/01/2011

I watched the Camelot premiere on the Starz website (they've had a sneak peek of it for a while) and can't say I was terribly impressed by it. The kid playing Arthur isn't very good. Eva Green is cool though.

Btw season 4 of Merlin has now begun filming.

by Anonymousreply 25304/01/2011

Bradley's not dating Angel Coulby, he's dating Georgia May King, the actress who played Elena. It's been unofficially confirmed: fans saw them together at a train station after a charity football game.

by Anonymousreply 25406/04/2011

Any updates on when season 4 will air?

by Anonymousreply 25506/04/2011

R251, Bradley is hawt! This may or may not have something to do with him getting the role of Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 25606/05/2011

Just dropping in on this old thread to note that Series 4 will probably begin in early October (Doctor Who just started this past weekend and should air through October 1), and that they've already commissioned Series 5.

by Anonymousreply 25709/01/2011

[quote]they've already commissioned Series 5

Already? Don't they usually wait till the current season is airing to announce they're commissioning the next season? This seems a little early. Where did you read this?

by Anonymousreply 25809/02/2011

It was announced by the producers at SCDD.

by Anonymousreply 25909/02/2011

Season 4 first trailer

by Anonymousreply 26009/21/2011

Thanks, r260.

I was pleased to learn from that link that James Callis is going to part of season four (loved him on Battlestar Galactica), and that a 5th "series" has been confirmed. Reports that talks are in the works for a feature film seem awfully speculative.

If the Doctor Who current run ends October 1, does that mean Merlin starts October 8 in the UK? It would seem like the premiere date would be announced by now, or does the BBC just spring things on viewers at the last minute?

by Anonymousreply 26109/21/2011

Why is this series still going? I would have thought the BBC would cancel it by now.

Any chance they will fire that asshole Bradley James? He is one of the worst actors on British television.

Why don't they get an Arthur with some acting ability?

by Anonymousreply 26209/21/2011

The official premiere date has finally been confirmed as October 1, r261, the same day as the Doctor Who finale.

by Anonymousreply 26309/22/2011

So I am really looking forward to seeing the season 4 premiere sometime late tonight or tomorrow, unofficially. SyFy won't air it until like January in the US, I'm guessing.

by Anonymousreply 26410/01/2011

Link to the new thread for series 4, for search and such:

by Anonymousreply 26510/02/2011

or try this?

by Anonymousreply 26610/02/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!