Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What''s the worst gay bar you''ve ever been in?

Mine was the Texas Lounge in Calgary. It's in the same building as the bathhouse and shares an entrance. Sluts go to the left, drunks to the right. They only serve beer in cans or bottles. It feels like a tacky basement rumpus room and the clientele is ... well ... trashy.%0D %0D I only went once and it was gross. I felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards

by Anonymousreply 18305/21/2013

"The Other Side" in Jackson, TN. What a shitheap.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2010

probably somewhere in Bremen

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2010

I forget what it was called in Cedar Rapids, IA. Oh, God, what dregs.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2010

The Boiler Room in NYC. What a tragic shithole.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2010

Details, people. Details.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2010

Jimmy's Silhouette Lounge, long defunct, in Scranton, PA.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2010

Badlands San Francisco.%0D %0D All that money they spent to glitz the place up and have tons of video screens blaring shitty top 40, they couldn't find a better feng shui to suit the place?

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2010

R5, it was so bad I blocked it all out

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2010

A dive near West Street in New York across from what had been a federal prison, now condos with two-story windows.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2010

Mr. P's in DC also called Mr. Urine's.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2010

I've never been in it, but based on its paneling, the bathhouse-bar complex in Duluth that was linked to here once upon a time.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2010

The Playpen in Boston. (I doubt if it is still there).%0D %0D Any bar in Canton, Ohio

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2010

all of them.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2010

Mystique in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2010

Barz (yes, spelled with a "z"!) in Nyack, NY, just over the Tappan Zee Bridge. They had a horrible DJ playing the usual disco tunes as patrons danced on a tiny dance floor with a tacky disco globe hanging from the ceiling. It attracted all the sad lesbians (mostly butch beyond belief) and ugly gay guys in the area who never leave the town. I live in Manhattan and went with a friend just for the hell of it, just to experience non-NYC nightlife, which of course has its own negatives. Needless to say, I would never go there again.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2010

R16, people were dancing...that makes it a lot better than many gay bars.%0D %0D I've seen clubs where everyone appears to be completely unaware of the dance floor that's in front of them, while the music played is not danceable.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2010

Some place in Biloxi, Mississippi that was probably destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. An Army base was nearby and a raunchy honky-tonk could have been fun. This place was all black lacquer on the inside, with Erte-style decorations and the centerpiece: six columns of water behind the bar, each column a different color of the rainbow flag, all with bubbles coming up from the bottom like an aquarium.

A guy in a plain T-shirt and jeans would've cleaned up in there, because the entire clientele was trying to emulate Lance Bass on a Walmart clothing budget. Dance Muzak music. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2010

Some dive in Detroit. The name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2010

In the early 1980s: "Mine Shaft"--but in a good way! And I'm here and healthy to tell about it! What a place! I'm glad I got to experience it.

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2010

1990%0D %0D The Tally Ho%0D %0D Lancaster Pennsylvania

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2010

I don't know the name of it, but the worst gay bar I've ever been to was also the first one I had ever been to!

It was just outside of Columbia, MO (where I was going to college). The crowd was pathetic and so was the music. There was only one cute guy who caught my eye, but it turned out that he was a she.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2010

r4, I don't think you "get" The Boiler Room. It's kinda supposed to be a dump and a touch tragic. It's just a simple East Village hole in the wall. Even at its worst, it's ten times cooler than tacky Chelsea hellholes like G Bar and Splash.

For the years I've lived in New York it has always served as the go-to/standby bar for cheap drinks ($3.50 for well drinks!) and as a meeting point to start the night off.

I often meet friends at Boiler first before we go bar hopping elsewhere later that night. You can get tanked cheaply there and then move on.

It's a staple of the classic East Village Gay Bar Crawl.

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2010

"So what if you're gay? Such is the attitude at this friendly, unobtrusive, post-gay gay bar that helped put the queer East Village bar scene on the map. Head for Chelsea if you're looking for self-loathing Prada-clad dishrags swilling Cosmos. The Boiler Room's all about straight-acting boys drinking beer. Discreet sitting areas provide a respite from the heavy cruising in the main room, with cozy nooks and crannies where randy patrons can fumble toward ecstasy before splitting for clammier climes. On busy evenings, fresh-faced NYU students flock here in droves." %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 Andy Bailey

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2010

Most small town gay bars in CA I've been to (Monterey, Santa Cruz, Arcata) are depressing and mostly empty, save for a few regular alkies, but a few in medium sized cities were a blast -- including Fresno and Sacramento, of all places.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2010

Parliament House in Orlando. It isn't the absolute worst I've been to but definitely the creepiest.

Anyone who's been there knows what I'm talking about. It's pretty famous on the east coast.

It's basically a gay Disney World. It's essentially a gay motel complex with an open air courtyard in the middle with a small bar on one side and a bigger "dance club" attached to the other side.

Everyone gets really plastered in the drinking areas and then the seedier patrons start cruising the motel rooms. Men leave their room doors open and people parade up and down the halls looking into guy's rooms and trying to hook up.

Also about 75% of the client%C3%83%C2%A8le are tweaked on meth or coked up. Oh and the entire complex is awash in the pungent odor of poppers.

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2010

Backstreet in Atlanta. Some closeted fuck I recognized from work was working the door and demanded ten pieces of identification or else I would not be allowed in.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2010

Fran's in Lynn Mass.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2010

r3, I was there too, I think it was called the Dragon, in an old Chinese restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2010

Zebra Lounge, New Kensington, PA.

by Anonymousreply 3109/10/2010

Mother Pluckers, Hamilton Beach

by Anonymousreply 3209/10/2010

The Mine Shaft was my neighborhood bar, now the upscale Sea Thai eatery. When I walk by and see people dining exactly where the tubs without plumbing once sat, I smile.

by Anonymousreply 3309/10/2010

The Penthouse Club on top of the roach-infested Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach. Going from the parking lot to the entrance, you had to run a gauntlet of hustlers. The owner, Eric, died and left it to some straight relatives so I don't know if the new people cleaned it up and banned the hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 3409/10/2010

Absolutely, r22. Wonder if I know you..

by Anonymousreply 3509/10/2010

The Mine Shaft was before my time, but god the stories I've heard about that place! Makes me wish I could've experienced it.

by Anonymousreply 3609/10/2010

It's long gone and didn't last long but The Naked Grape in Austin was pretty sad. Ironically, the bar itself was gorgeous but it could never attract a crowd for some reason. I guess it was just a bad location - on Red River near I-35 and too far from Oilcan Harry's.

And I have no idea the name but I was in Corpus Christi for a friend's wedding and her gay cousin took me to some extremely sad gay bar. A weird mix of disco, country, Tejano, drag queens and old trolls.

This was all in the mid-90s.

by Anonymousreply 3709/10/2010

THE BLACK KNIGHT - Appropriately dark, seedy. It's good that the lights were dimmed, none of the ravaged faces sitting at the bar wanted to be looked at, or look at anyone for that matter. A real dive bar.

I was 22 and just getting started on my career in alcoholism. I liked that the mostly middled aged crowd drank the way I did.

by Anonymousreply 3809/10/2010

Discovery in Little Rock, AR, which contains a huge, tacky auditorium devoted to drag shows. It appears Little Rock is the homeland and headquarters for the organization that sponsors beauty-queen style drag pageants in the US, and that auditorium is its Ground Zero.

Nowadays it attracts mostly thuggish straight trash.

by Anonymousreply 3909/10/2010

A bar, appropriately at the bottom of the world, in Tasmania. I recall a drag queen climbing down from the stage, pulling up the sweater and bra of a fat drunken dyke and saying: "God, Im a man and I look better than you!" It was almost like the Cafe de Paris in '54. Almost.

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2010

Gabriels in the Carondelet neighborhood way down on South Broadway in St. Louis. Eventually it was flooded out by the Mississippi.

The back room would stage amateur nights. I saw the single worst performance of all time, in which a tripped-out dykelet stripped as her butch sat there ordering her about. When she got to the bra and panties she started pulling out the wads of toilet paper and the cotton balls she had stuffed herself with. She then pulled off the top, dropped the panties, and staggered off, leaving a trail of TP and cotton on the little dirty stage.

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2010

Oh, I forgot. Crossbar in Dallas. No, I'm not the "I hate Dallas" troll. I like Dallas but Crossbar is a dump.

by Anonymousreply 4209/10/2010

Are there any nice gay bars left in the US, or are they all dumps?

by Anonymousreply 4309/17/2010

Rainbow Cattle Company.

Brattleboro Vermont.

by Anonymousreply 4409/17/2010

R44, I'd have to agree with you. It's a shame too, because Cahoots in Brattleboro was really fun in a tacky, strange way.

There are no gay bars left in the entire state of Vermont.

But the saddest gay bar I ever went to was a gay night in Lebanon, NH. It was in the lounge of the bowling alley and you had to go to the main area to use the bathrooms. The music peaked with Michael Jackson. It was so odd and not enough people and very strange.

by Anonymousreply 4509/17/2010

I think most gay bars these days are for the older Baby Boomers, who are still looking to be young again. Most under 40 year olds, don't frequent them anymore. It is not 1975.

Younger guys no longer live in the "village" they live in other areas of the downtown core and like the mixed gender dance bars and coffee houses.

by Anonymousreply 4609/17/2010

I'd rather go to any of the places mentioned here than to surf the fucking web looking for hook ups

by Anonymousreply 4709/17/2010

Zippers in Toronto is super tacky. The front half is an over-lit piano bar, furnished with bar stools and cheap office chairs. In the back is a dance floor. It's dark and dirty and shady and gross. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4809/17/2010

Our Place in Houston . I may have told this story before. It was Lesbian Bar. My BF and I went in on the advice of a friend (I guess he did not know it was a lesbian bar). We were welcomed as much as two guys are welcomed in a Lesbian bar. They were not overly friendly but not mean either.

There was a tiny dance floor.

There were was a huge bottle of pickled eggs behind the bar . A handwritten sign said "Eggs 50 cents- no exceptions-no freebies" . I guess there had been a previous issue with the bartender giving her friends free eggs.

At one point a hefty girl got the mic and took stage on the dance floor. She announced:

"Yall listen up now. Yall know Selena and Jessie got in all that trouble up in Conroe and now the lawyer wont even help them unless they pay him in advance. We got sandwiches and chips for sale over there in the corner. There's chicken salad, tuna salad and ham and they are two dollars each with a bag of Fritos, and yall, all the money is going to that lawyer so Selena doesn't spend any more time in county. So yall go get ya one"

The crowd of about 15 lurched towards the table, Steve and I remained at the bar.The bartender approached and said "Yall gonna get yourself a sandwich?" Steve said "No thanks but I will take another..."

"You should get one the chicken salad is real good, Maria makes it herself"

"Scotch and soda..."

"Yall sure, I'll go get them for you and bring them over"

"Okay bring us two chicken salads and scotch and soda".

The chicken salads arrived but we had to coerce another drink out of her. She apologized and remarked that the whole thing with Selena had her worried. She offered us two free eggs to make up for the lethargy in getting our drinks.

We refused her eggs.

This had to be twenty years ago minimum but I still think of it a lot. It was kind of ethereal for me. I doubt any of those girls (even Selena and Jessie) remember the night at all.

by Anonymousreply 4909/17/2010

Uh, Backstreet was pretty awesome!

by Anonymousreply 5009/17/2010

[quote]And I have no idea the name but I was in Corpus Christi for a friend's wedding and her gay cousin took me to some extremely sad gay bar. A weird mix of disco, country, Tejano, drag queens and old trolls.

The Hidden Door

Been there for at least thirty years

by Anonymousreply 5109/17/2010

LOL, R46 is so above it all. Why even bother posting such a stupid comment? Go tweet yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5209/17/2010

Most awful? King of Clubs in Mountain View, Ca. I expect bars like that in the midwest, but in California there is no excuse for looking like my uncle's basement.

Best trashy club: RIP the Club Peorian in Peoria, Illinois. Many an hour lived there until the boyfriend of a drag queen burnt it down. I have a brick from it on my windowsill

by Anonymousreply 5309/17/2010

The guy saying Backstreet was awful because someone asked for 10 pieces of ID is a liar or at least exaggerating to the extreme. If they asked you for more than one piece of ID they obviously had reason to believe you were up to something (which you probably were).

And for what it's worth, Backstreet was one of the best bars I've ever been too and I've been to plenty all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 5409/17/2010

The Satellite - Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

by Anonymousreply 5509/17/2010

The Townhouse. Nothing but Thai lady-bois and gross old men.

by Anonymousreply 5609/17/2010

Wow, the Tally Ho was the first gay bar I ever stepped foot in (and it just so happened to be about 1990). Now it's listed here as one of the worst gay bars ever.

I knew I had shit for luck.

by Anonymousreply 5709/17/2010

It was the only gay bar in Halifax, Nova Scotia. In a sketchy part of town. I don't recall the name. I was in Halifax with a friend and it was his birthday. I told him I'd take him out for a drink. We got there and the place was empty except for a lonely looking hustler. When I asked the bartender for a Tanqueray and tonic, his reply was... 'Is that a kind of vodka?'.

by Anonymousreply 5809/17/2010

I loved Mr P's... skanky as it was, it had a great patio, perfect for summertime. Very friendly, too.

Worst bar I've been to is Freddie's in Arlington, VA. Ugly drag queens, Barbie dolls all over the walls, horrendous decor, fierce lesbians (and not in the good way). A slice of bad 80s bars... smack in the middle of 2010.

by Anonymousreply 5909/17/2010

Two visits was enough for me in the six months I lived there.%0D %0D Sorry to burst your bubble R57.

by Anonymousreply 6009/17/2010

Even though I'm partial to dives and think it's a great place for sad old drunks to feel comfy being sad old drunks, I'll say The Drinkery in Baltimore was the worst gay bar I've ever been in. %0D %0D In the late 90s, the Boiler Room was THE EVil gay bar. It was packed with hot guys. It was fun and friendly yet cruisy which is a rare combo. You'd start out there before heading over to the original The Cock or Starlight.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6109/17/2010

What was the name of that bar in Balmer that was very blue collar? I think it was near The Hippo.

Divey to the max, but I loved it and the men that went there.

by Anonymousreply 6209/17/2010

Are you thinking Leon's, r62? Love that place - especially when the bears descend on it Sundays. Awesome party and hot, HOT mens.

by Anonymousreply 6309/17/2010

Yup. Thanks much! I know this is a thread for worst bar, so I'm O/T, but damn, I loved that dive.

Glad to hear it is still open; I've been gone from the DC area too long.

by Anonymousreply 6409/17/2010

The Pink Mango in St. Martin. No one was ever there. Empty.

by Anonymousreply 6509/17/2010

The Bike Stop in Philly. The bartenders act as if they're doing you a favor by gracing the place with their presence. The only ones in the joint with more attitude than the staff is the customers, predominantly older, obese "bears."

by Anonymousreply 6609/17/2010

You're right, r66. The only times I've had fun at the Bike Stop, it was w/ guys who were also visiting Philly.

by Anonymousreply 6709/17/2010

R27, what year did you visit the Parliament House?

by Anonymousreply 6809/17/2010

r56 - The Townhouse can be pretty tragic, but I used to live in midtown east (aka gay siberia). When I wanted to go out but didn't feel like trekking crosstown or downtown, I would make a friend of mine come to my hood and we'd head to the Townhouse.%0D %0D We didn't even have to flirt to get free drinks from the bar tenders and I think the fact that we were laughing and singing along w/ the piano tunes indicated that we weren't "working" so we didn't have to deal w/ that.%0D %0D Once we met a really hot couple just a few years older than us (they were early 30s, we're late 20s) and had an incredibly hot 4way, so it can be fun.%0D %0D For an always tragic experience, head to OW Bar across the street (though I think it's called EVOLVE now or something). Never crowded and the what is there is never cute or fun.%0D %0D In HK now though, so I guess I'm a bit spoiled at this point.

by Anonymousreply 6909/17/2010

Washington, DC.

by Anonymousreply 7009/17/2010

Uncle Snuff's in Canton, Illinois. It's claim to fame was a pee trough (really a big hole in the floor with a metal wash tub) in the bar room. Meth addict hustlers and old men, and one drag queen named Bunny Two (I didn't ask what happened to Bunny One but I assume it was ugly,) who made loud comments about every person who walked in. She did a drag show at 11 every Fri, and Sat. night - I saw part of one and she was so drunk she fell on the stage and just lay there as the song played and people (about six of them) ignored her. And they all peed in the trough.

by Anonymousreply 7109/17/2010

Not the worst, but the one I thought so strange at first. Neighbors in Seattle. Because of the states arcane liquor laws, you weren't paying a cover, you were paying for the "buffet". I guess in Washington state you have to serve food if you are going to serve liquor.

There were these skeezy steam tables with tater tots and chicken wings. Urf. I thought, where the hell am I.

And then you'd see in the Seattle Gay Times, once in awhile, "If you ate from the buffet at Neighbors recently, please report to the Department of Health because one of the servers has hepatitis."

by Anonymousreply 7209/17/2010

The Tip Top in Stockholm, this was in 2003 and I've heard it's since closed - yay!. First of all, it was way too bright, like a Holiday Inn Convention Center. Then you had the clientele, which consisted of heroin-chic skinny gender neutral twinks - just about the least sexy type of guy for me. Drinks overpriced. Service horrible. But the capper was the accoustics of the place. Seriously, it gave me a

by Anonymousreply 7309/17/2010

Eight of Clubs on West 75th. Always looked like you were interrupting a drug deal among the three other patrons when you walked in. Nice backyard though :-)

by Anonymousreply 7409/17/2010

The Brit in Long Beach, CA

The place has ALWAYS smelled like Pee

by Anonymousreply 7509/17/2010

The Corner Pocket, New Orleans Malnourished rent-boys playing pool in dirty underwear while overweight escapees from their mothers' basements leer at them and sip on brightly colored cocktails.

The Web, New York City Asian twinks singing karaoke. Rohypnol.

by Anonymousreply 7609/17/2010

Bike Stop in Philly%0D %0D Old, dreary queens who can't find anyone unless the lights are out. Losers on parade.

by Anonymousreply 7709/17/2010

O/T, but, what is a good bar in Philly? I go for the more blue collar, beefy crowd over twinks and college kids. Will be there in a cpl weeks and wouldn't mind getting into some trouble...

by Anonymousreply 7809/17/2010

Eight of Clubs in NYC (from R74) is where I met a fantastic guy I dated for a few years. I had stumbled in there from the also-nasty Candlebar and my life was never the same. Sigh.%0D %0D I don't think the toilets flushed. The stench of urine made standing near the back of the bar unbearable. You had to hold your nose when you walked from the bar to the backyard area.%0D %0D I miss it.

by Anonymousreply 7909/17/2010

I think we have a winner: R72!

by Anonymousreply 8009/17/2010

Ha ha r79 I loved the Candlebar when I worked on the UWS, but I think because I met a great guy there on the first visit. Made a couple friends, too, mostly bartenders that liked giving me free drinks. I would totally meet you there and we could have an UWS DL get-together!

by Anonymousreply 8109/17/2010

They all seem the same to me.

What IS that smell?

by Anonymousreply 8209/17/2010

The Palms on Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood. The worst lesbian bar in America.

by Anonymousreply 8309/17/2010

[quote]What IS that smell?%0D %0D It's the noisome odor emanating from the nacreous layer of perma-cum on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 8409/17/2010

I remember Leon's and the Pink Hippo in Balitmore. Leon's was a dive, it was connected to restaurant I believe. The Hippo was the first gay bar for every gay boy in Baltimore in the 70s. Is it still there. Texas Lounge sounds sorta campy fun, OP. And then there was this place in Utica, NY in the late 80s/early 90s, can't remember its name.

by Anonymousreply 8509/17/2010

Honestly the only good bars are the ones that have some kind of sexual outlet on the premises. That creates a real cruisy vibe, and makes people legitimately friendlier, even if they are being so in order to get laid.%0D %0D Any other gay bar is simply a place for people to be loud and catty with their queeny ass friends, or to stand there like a wallflower, wishing someone would talk to them.

by Anonymousreply 8609/17/2010

R86 is right.

by Anonymousreply 8709/17/2010

Crank up the speakers, bitches! It's the Parliamnt House Resort, Orlando Florida!!!%0D %0D Do ya think I'm sexy?%0D %0D Who's your sexy now???

by Anonymousreply 8809/17/2010

Club Hollywood in Daytona Beach - long gone. Dirty pig-sty. Full of hustlers. One cute bartender.

by Anonymousreply 8909/19/2010

Have any of you been to Bo's Coral Reef in Jacksonville Beach, Florida?

It may not be the absolute worst, but it's up there.

It's a pity because it's only a few blocks off the beach and if they did a little renovating it could be a great bar.

by Anonymousreply 9009/19/2010

Bo's Coral Reef really needs a makeover, but it's a great place if you hit it when one of the Navy ships at Mayport returns from a few months at sea. Horny sailors flock to Bo's on their first night back in town.

by Anonymousreply 9109/19/2010

Bo died a while back so I'm wondering what changes might come about now. She was known for not wanting any changes AT ALL, but maybe it was more of a profit thing. I think she owned the building so her overhead was relatively low.

Where can I find the schedule for the boats? Times-Union?

by Anonymousreply 9209/19/2010

[quote]Where can I find the schedule for the boats?

I don't know. I used to know a sailor who worked on the base so that's how I kept up.

Didn't know that Bo had departed. Do the new owners plan to continue it as a gay bar? The owner of the Streamline in Daytona died a few years ago and left it to his straight relatives. They kept the same manager and it's still a gay bar and hotel, though I haven't been there in years.

by Anonymousreply 9309/19/2010

some rainbow themed club in Nice, I think it was called Pink. I walked up with a few friends looking to have some fun. The bouncer shook his finger at us, then tried to make out with my friend as an entry fee.

I heard from everyone else that the place is full of locals looking to take advantage of tourists and gypsies begging for change.

by Anonymousreply 9409/19/2010

Common Ground in Ithica, NY. Just vile.

by Anonymousreply 9509/19/2010

This is going back many years, but Cheyenne, Wyoming briefly had the G & L Club. It was so low rent that they didn't sell liquor, you brought your own in--which had its good and bad points, I suppose!

by Anonymousreply 9609/19/2010

r20, I totally agree with you that the PEOPLE make The Abby a shit hole in We-ho, but the dive that gets the shit-hole of shit-holes award in LA, year after year, just HAPPENS to be gay and it's The Spotlight on Cahuenga and Selma. I liked it because I could walk home drunk. Here are some posted patron comments:

Ghetto SSI recipients getting their drink on courtesy of LA's dept of mental health!

OMG. I accidentally stumbled in here once with a friend. It was nasty, dark, and reeked of grief and loneliness.

The people here were either: A. Drug addicts spending the $2 you gave them on the corner on a well drink. B. Horny old toothless men trying to score with a hot young thing like me. C. Lost and accidentally stumbled in. Like me.

by Anonymousreply 9709/19/2010

Amen R55

I've been in gay bars all over the US. Will never go back to Winston Salem because of that hell hole.

by Anonymousreply 9809/19/2010

"The Rainbow Room" in Knoxville, TN about six years ago. No one was in its except for a few drag queens, and they all stood and watching a fat elderly drag queen do the worst lipsyncing I had ever seen to Kelly Clarkson's "Miss Independent," a wildly inappropriate choice of song. I think I would have committed suicide had I had to live in that city.

by Anonymousreply 9909/19/2010

R72 I remember that as well. I remember being there one evening and my partner yelling at a friend who was actually eating something from the buffet. I remember loaves of white bread as well as weird fried things.

They have changed the liquor laws so I believe the buffet is history (haven't been to Neighbors in 15 years or so).

by Anonymousreply 10009/19/2010

The Prelude, ugh

by Anonymousreply 10109/19/2010

Another "Corner Pocket" story in New Orleans:

I was checking it out and had to go to the bathroom really badly... so I go to the men's room (there is only a men's room) in the back corner. There is no door. There is only a big trough. And it was clogged. But people were using it anyway. So this huge six foot long, 2 foot deep trough was full up to the very rim with piss. I had no choice, because I had to go so bad, so I went... terrified that mine would be what put it over the edge and spilling all over the floor.

I had to leave after that.

Even the cutest naked twink dancing on the bar couldn't have made me stay. And while there were about half a dozen almost-naked or naked twinks on the bar, not one of them was cute. Not one of them weight over 90lbs either.

by Anonymousreply 10209/19/2010

"Neighbors" in Seattle isn't like that any more.

by Anonymousreply 10309/19/2010

Sadie Frosts, in Glasgow Scotland, situated underneath one of the train stations, full of desperate queens belting out S Club 7 on the karaoke and the roughest lesbians imaginable barging into you every other second.

by Anonymousreply 10409/19/2010

[quote]The Corner Pocket, New Orleans Malnourished rent-boys playing pool in dirty underwear while overweight escapees from their mothers' basements leer at them and sip on brightly colored cocktails.

... which is why it's rather fabulous if you're in the mood for having a drink in the middle of a live John Waters film. The old owner (now deceased) used to go to the New Orleans bus station on Fridays before "New Meat Night" and ask the guys getting off the buses if they wanted to make a quick $50 that evening by dancing on the bar. Toothless, jailhouse tattoos, it was all on display.

by Anonymousreply 10509/19/2010

[quote]the dive that gets the shit-hole of shit-holes award in LA, year after year, just HAPPENS to be gay and it's The Spotlight on Cahuenga and Selma. I liked it because I could walk home drunk.

Oh, God, I loved the Spotlight. No matter how bright it was outside, it was dank inside the Spotlight and whenever you entered the entire bar appraised you: were you a hustler? A john? An undercover cop? A criminal looking to get off the streets for a while? When they'd have free food, the place would fill up with every rough-trade male prostitute in Hollywood.

The yuppie-fication of Hollywood spelled the end for its sister bar, the Blacklight, which was even thrillingly worse. Located in the worst area of Western Avenue, it was filled with trannie jailhouse hookers who carried bricks in their purses (one of whom was named "Pig in a Wig"). Even slumming hipsters didn't like to come around the Blacklight -- one of Rodney King's many arrests came when he picked up a transvestite there and the two got into a fight on the street outside.

by Anonymousreply 10609/19/2010

Pistons in North Long Beach,Ca. Walking to my car I had a young black street-punk hold a gun to my head and try to steal my car. I gave him my keys and was told to walk behind the building I was in front of. I looked over his head and when he looked too, I ran. He didn't get my car because I had a club on it and had so many keys on my key-ring he couldn't figure out which one unlocked the club! This guy was really going to shoot me over a 15 year old car! WARNING:If you go to Pistons, go in a group, I learned after the fact that these assaults had been going on quite awhile and the owner,afraid of losing business, was not letting his patrons know of the danger. Oh, and the men arn't very hot a all!

by Anonymousreply 10709/19/2010

I went to this little bar in Abilene, TX when I was visiting family members back in the 90s. I can't remember the name of it. There were only about 40 people there on a weekend night. It reminds me of the bar from the TV series "Sordid Lives" with Juanita running around asking everyone about the Willie Nelson radio contest.

by Anonymousreply 10809/19/2010

Forgot about the Spotlight! That does bring in a whole new level of skeezy. That place is like beyond the last exit. The living dead is not even close to describing what you find in there. This is a place that a normal pretentious LA hipster would chew through human flesh to be seen at. When even those douchebags won't go in there, you know this place is bad.

by Anonymousreply 10909/19/2010

My favorite Corner Pocket story...went in there and saw two eager beaver queens sitting at the bar with a pile of dollar bills and a big bottle of hand sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 11009/19/2010

[quote]saw two eager beaver queens sitting at the bar with a pile of dollar bills and a big bottle of hand sanitizer.

Is there more to this story? Were they running a hand sanitizer concession?

by Anonymousreply 11109/19/2010

Peoples, in Fort Collins, Co. There used to be an old man we called "Roy Orbison" who, if one so much as glanced in his direction, would quickly deep-throat his beer bottle.

This was the second location for this bar. I found out later that the original bar had burned to the ground during one holiday season after one drunk lesbian bet another drunk lesbian that she couldn't set the Christmas tree in the corner alight. She succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 11209/19/2010

One of the worst things I ever saw at the Corner Pocket was Wet Dancer Night. The (now-deceased) owner, a drag queen named Ms. Fly, set up a child's wading pool in the bar.

Before he could get up on the bar and dance, each scrawny stripper-hustler would have to stand in the pool, wearing nothing but tight thin white underwear -- whereupon Ms. Fly would pour numerous plastic beer pitchers of ice water over him. Since it's New Orleans, the air conditioning was cranked to 11, so these bony white-trash jailhouse boys would then have to climb on the bar, freezing, while their underwear turned transparent and they dripped all over the customers (and their drinks), while all the old men hooted and thrust dollar bills under their balls. Talk about emasculating.

Ms. Fly met her end when she disappeared one day and they found her body shot to death in a swamp outside the city. Apparently she finally got the wrong hustler.

by Anonymousreply 11309/19/2010

Corner Pocket Story - They were afraid of what they'd pick up from touching the dancers.

by Anonymousreply 11409/19/2010

[quote]Ms. Fly met her end when she disappeared one day and they found her body shot to death in a swamp outside the city. Apparently she finally got the wrong hustler.

Was this before L&O was on TV? It sure makes a good plot for a story.

by Anonymousreply 11509/19/2010

From the Corner Pocket website - it looks like they still do the traditional soaking of the dancers.

Check out that sunburn. "I'm TRADE, mama!"

by Anonymousreply 11609/19/2010

Partners in Huntsville, AL. Most of the clientele is older ex-military women dancing around to Kenny Chesney's latest about throwing up in your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 11709/19/2010

DOUBLE TIME on r116.

by Anonymousreply 11809/20/2010

Whatever on the corner pocket- I would tap this

by Anonymousreply 11909/20/2010

My partner and I went to the Corner Pocket on a visit to New Orleans a few years ago. OMG, it was the worst shithole ever, and exactly like the above posters have described. While there, we drank bottled beer because we were afraid to drink anything out of a glass. The gogo boys looked like skinny tweaked-out hustlers, which they probably were. It was definitely an experience.

by Anonymousreply 12009/20/2010

The Playroom Lounge in Yonkers, NY 1977. Drag queens on roller skates. One of them sat on my lap and I burst into fears.

A few other shitholes in Port Chester, but I can't remember their names.

by Anonymousreply 12109/20/2010

The original "Common Ground" gay bar in Ithaca, NY that was originally located right off the Commons, was a fun and entertaining small town gay bar.

I grew up in Ithaca, stayed for college and you learned to get along well with others when the only gathering place had to cater to the lesbians, gays, leather folk drag, etc. Add in the townies vs the students, it was a fun trip.

Only visited it once when it moved outside of the city, but calling either the worst seems a bit much.

Favorite bad gay bar: The Waterloo in San Diego and the Badlands on Christopher St. in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 12209/20/2010

Interbelt in Akron, Ohio is a definite contender. Conveniently located in a sinkhole, you have to crawl down an embankment to get to the front door. And it caters to everyone, so it's a mix of twinks, meth-mouthed truckers, and surly lesbians. The night I was there, a toilet in the men's room overflowed, leaving an inch of water on the floor. Splish splash!!!

by Anonymousreply 12309/20/2010

I loved the Waterloo in San Diego! I knew one of the bartenders back in the late 90's

by Anonymousreply 12409/22/2010

There was a club in DC that was predominantly black called The Brass Rail that closed several years ago. Thank God. That place was scary. I remember hearing about it back in the 70s. A good friend of mine’s called it the Cantina Bar from Star Wars. There’s another predominantly club in DC that’s still open called The Bachelor’s Mill. I haven’t been there since the 90s but even then I felt very comfortable. Too many closeted thugs. I like my club crowds fairly mixed.

by Anonymousreply 12509/22/2010

My BF and I decided to check out the local gay bar in Roanoke VA one night on a road trip. We had to be buzzed through 2 doors of security and a metal detector to get into the actual bar. No one was there. We sat around for a while drinking beer and started talking to the bartender.

Turns out a local man with the last name "Gay" brought in a gun one night and went on a shooting rampage, killing gay guys in the club.

It was a really sad story and I can't blame the bar for added security. There was also banner memorializing patrons who died at VA Tech a few months earlier.

A few more people showed up and we had an OK night but it was just really sad.

BTW, I like the Boiler Room. Granted it smelled like BO and mold after the smoking ban but they have recently renovated and it ain't so bad.

by Anonymousreply 12609/22/2010

Years ago - a dive gay bar in Tijuana. I'd gone down with friends and we'd wandered off the strip of frat bars to a couple of gay bars that weren't frequented much by Americans. We met a very sweet, handsome guy who joined our group -- probably a hustler (duh), but he was just enjoying hanging out with us.

He said he had to go meet someone, but invited us to his favorite bar to meet up with him again in about an hour. We agreed, and at the appointed time set out to follow the directions he'd given us.

The directions took us to a rundown area where most of the places didn't seem to have electricity. No Americans around whatsoever, and we were getting the stinkeye from everyone we passed. Finally we found what we guessed had to be the bar, just because there was nowhere else around. It had real wooden saloon doors, open to the street.

The bouncer was a Mexican lesbian who looked like a biker, and she didn't want to let us in and started yelling at us. Fortunately our friend was inside and he came over, yelled back at her and led us in.

Again, the bartender didn't want to serve us. Everyone there didn't want us there. Our friend argued with the bartender until we could be served. The "bar" consisted of a huge trash can filled with ice and cans of Tecate. We got five for two dollars.

There was no ventilation other than the saloon doors; it was summer and stiflingly hot. The clientele was rough-trade biker types and preening Mexican queens who were draped over them like saloon girls. They all HATED us. Our friend tried to make us feel at home, but nothing worked. When he went back to the bar, the bartender exploded and they got in a big argument. It ended with our friend cussing out the entire bar (which was ready for a fight) and dragging us out into the street.

We were totally lost. Fortunately our friend was very apologetic and led us back to the original bar where we'd met him.

Still one of the scariest experiences I've had while traveling...

by Anonymousreply 12709/22/2010

The bonfire in anchorage alaska 1977, someone tried to firebomb it and we had to run out the front!

by Anonymousreply 12809/22/2010

[quote]A few other shitholes in Port Chester, but I can't remember their names.

Was one called the Porthole?

by Anonymousreply 12909/22/2010

A place in Cocoa Beach during the mid 1990's. Can't remember the name but it was in a strip mall. Only 1 drag queen, each number was about 3-5 minutes apart as she changed outfits. The dance floor was the size of a work cubicle. The bathroom was down a lonely hall and kind of spooky. Got hit on by some gross man-women and was ready to go.

by Anonymousreply 13009/22/2010

Damn I'm loving this thread. Like a trip down memory lane for this wheezing geezer.

by Anonymousreply 13109/23/2010

Eastern Bloc

by Anonymousreply 13209/23/2010

[quote]Bo died a while back so I'm wondering what changes might come about now. She was known for not wanting any changes AT ALL, but maybe it was more of a profit thing.

I found a story, r90, that says it's staying open but there's no indication that it won't get a good makeover.

[italic]March 13, 2010 -- Bo's Coral Reef, a Jacksonville Beach landmark and the region's oldest gay bar, will stay open even though its feisty and generous owner died this week.

Roverta "Bo" Boen died of heart disease Tuesday night at Baptist Medical Center-Beaches. She was 86.

David Davis, the bar's general manager, said he will keep running the club that has welcomed gay, lesbian, transgender and bisexual customers, as well as straight people, since 1964.

That's the way Boen would want it. Until her heart attack about five months ago, Boen was at the club seven days a week.

"She opened the place and closed the place," said Davis, who met Boen when he was 15, was raised by her and worked at the club 30 years. "She was amazing."[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 13309/23/2010

Pulse in Albuquerque, NM.

In college me and my (str8) friends generally only went on "straight night," in which the place would fill up with overweight goth kids. But on any given night, the music was crap and the lighting and structure resembled nothing less than an NC-17 Fraggle Rock.

by Anonymousreply 13409/23/2010

Thanks for the info. I'll hope that they make some changes.

(I'm assuming we live pretty close to each other.)

by Anonymousreply 13509/23/2010

Styx was the name of the bar. Al was the owner, or leasee.

by Anonymousreply 13609/23/2010

Kings & Queens in Woonsocket, RI. Don't even know if it is still there.

by Anonymousreply 13709/23/2010

I checked Google, r137. Woonsocket is still listed in RI.

by Anonymousreply 13809/23/2010

r136 - are you Russell?

by Anonymousreply 13909/25/2010

I posted this message years ago on another thread. Let me repeat the anecdote.

Penelope's, East Orange, NJ. Mid 70's. Dreadful neighborhood--the couple of times I went there the gangs were hanging out on the corners near the place. However, there was this advantage the place had: police cars parked nearby, and I heard that the owner paid the cops well for the protection they offered.

The first floor was a bar, and both times it was filled with married men in business suits. The downstairs had another bar, and a dance floor with the de riguer glittering ball. I was in a fraternity at the time, and very closeted. The first time I went I saw 2 guys from my school who were also in fraternities. The second time I went this guy from the Rutgers football team was dancing drunk all by himself to "Shake Your Booty". Both times, most of the guys were hanging out by the bar and eyeing one another. It reminded me of an eighth grade dance.

by Anonymousreply 14009/25/2010

Loving the stories about the Corner Pocket. I too have been, and it's every bit as bad as described.

Here's one of their desiccated drags, Miss Klorocks Bleachman, who had to change the spelling of her first name after receiving a cease-and-desist letter from The Clorox Company.

by Anonymousreply 14109/25/2010

I went to one where all the seats were playground equipment like swingsets, jungle gyms and see-saws.

Another one was Ahs!, where all the staff walked around in g-strings and Wizard of Oz makeup.

by Anonymousreply 14209/25/2010

If watching a fistfucking show on a bar appealed to you, there was always The Anvil on W 14th St.

by Anonymousreply 14309/25/2010

I always think of bad gay bars as sad places that fail at what they try to achieve, not necessarily some fucked-up and sketchy dive bar, which can be fun.

Once, while stuck in Branson, Missouri for the weekend, I found one of what was supposed to be two local gay bars. I thought I'd gotten the address wrong because it was in a completely deserted part of town that had 1960s strip malls that seemed to have been shuttered for 20 years -- and the address led me to an abandoned supermarket with the doors painted black.

Nope, that was it. Imagine an empty supermarket-sized space that's dark except for 10 percent of the room in back. There was a bar back there and a place on the floor set aside for drag kings and queens who would go in the back and then come out as Melissa Etheridge or whatever. There was about 5 minutes between each "number" (which was really karaoke) and everyone just sat around looking defeated. I left feeling horrible for the people who had to go there.

by Anonymousreply 14409/25/2010

I was banned for life from The Acceptance Lounge.

by Anonymousreply 14509/25/2010

R120 again. A few more memories from the Corner Pocket - The piss trough in the men's room was also clogged that night, but not as bad as when the other poster was there. Instead of being full of piss, it was only half-full. Charming. The smell was pungent, to put it mildly. I dry-heaved from the stench..if I had been drunk I probably would have full-on puked. As I was exiting the men's room, some guy who was fucked out of his mind offered me a sniff from his bottle of poppers but I politely declined. He followed me out into the bar, but once he saw I was with my partner, he left me alone. Everybody in the place looked like hard-core addicts. And yes, a few had teeth missing. My partner and I finished our beers and left. For the rest of our stay in New Orleans we stuck to the Bourbon Pub and Lafites (sp?), both of which were a blast and we had a great time there.

by Anonymousreply 14609/25/2010

If I tell you the worst, my b/f will be angry, so I just give the initials: EB.

by Anonymousreply 14711/15/2010

Streamline Motel in Daytona Beach makes the Rip Off Reports.%0D Link Below%0D

by Anonymousreply 14801/04/2011

The Chain Drive in Austin, Texas...once was fun bar, now it's a rundown, dirty dump filled with old farts and drunks.

by Anonymousreply 14901/04/2011

Posh in Hell's Kitchen, New York. I guess it's a club. Smells and the tacky as fuck crowd squealed in unison when Bad Romance came on. This was in the fall of 2010. All the coke in the world couldn't make me enjoy this hellhole. I left.

As for the name, I guess they didn't realize that if you have to call yourself it, you're not it.

by Anonymousreply 15001/04/2011

As others have said, the Boiler Room in NYC isn't half bad. On some nights, it's terrific. The place sucks but it can draw some cool people on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 15101/04/2011

TFG (it stood for Top Floor Gays) in Southport, Lancashire in the UK. It had been a Chinese restaurant and they just left the red and black decor remain (along with a whiff of cooking fat), but the real stunner was the dance floor above which had an open coal fire chimney stack in the middle of the dance floor (always such a good idea where drunk gay men gather to dance). It was a stange night (well until 1am when it closed on a Friday!) in a strange town.

by Anonymousreply 15201/04/2011

Sister's Edge Austin, Tx

Rainbow painted aluminum siding and black tape letters in lieu of a sign. Oh, and the aroma of vomit and desperation as soon as you entered.

by Anonymousreply 15301/04/2011

Cocoa Beach, November 1983. Some dive bar in a strip mall, obviously the only gay bar in town. %0D %0D The shortest guy who was with our group (of men and women of all persuasions) got bashed as we walked in by a total stranger who popped out of the parking and popped him one right on the nose (broke it). Police was called, etc.%0D %0D Most of us were New York performers, so we all got very dramatic, but not that threatening.

by Anonymousreply 15401/04/2011

The Exile in Washington DC, circa 1984. I shudder just thinking about it. %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15501/04/2011

worst gay bar? ANY GAY BAR IN BOSTON. dumb boston queens

by Anonymousreply 15601/04/2011

OP - wow. never expected to see Calgary's Texas Lounge discussed on DL. For what it's worth though, I'd have to agree. One of the scummiest dives I've been to.

It was at least 7 years ago now, I was 18 and in the nearby (long gone) gay club called Detour, which was right around the corner, in the same building. A bunch of us were there celebrating a friend's birthday. At one point a couple of us decided to go around the corner just to see what the bathhouse looked like (what can I say, we were liquored up baby gays)..

We stepped in asked how much a room would cost.. I turned and took in a good glimpse of the little room that was the Texas Lounge. Let's just say, I had no desire to go any further after that. The place was basically a small room absolutely thick with cigarette smoke, full of what looked like sad, lonely middle-aged men on Video Lottery Terminals.

Some months ago, I went back with a (different) friend for a drink. My first visit since then and wasn't quite as bad as I remember. Although it was a slow night, and the years-old smoking ban and removal of VLTs probably helped, still not somewhere I'd ever frequent.

by Anonymousreply 15701/04/2011

Fran's Place in Lynn, MA.

A gay bar in Lynn, MA is really all I need to say.

by Anonymousreply 15801/04/2011

Corner Pocket featured dancers: a blond twink whose hair looks like he stuck his head in the john and flushed; a skeleton with some skin draped over it; and the cutest of the three, an underfed Italian kid.

by Anonymousreply 15905/06/2011

Fodor's even lists the Corner Pocket in New Orleans:

[quote]Filmmaker John Waters reportedly counts the Pocket as a New Orleans favorite, and with skinny, tattooed strippers on the bar and an inebriated drag queen emceeing the show, it's easy to see why. Sleazy fun on a good night, but keep your wits about you.

It's on a block with two other incredibly seedy bars, the Double Play and Le Roundup. The Double Play is for hardcore alcoholics and hustlers and Le Roundup is something like a country-western transvestite bar. With crack dealers. It's like a bar in a prison yard.

by Anonymousreply 16005/06/2011

[quote]Streamline Motel in Daytona Beach %0D %0D Right on target R148. The bar at the Streamline is the sleaziest on the whole east coast. I hadn't been there for years, but was passing by one night on the way from dinner with friends. Some guy asked another guy for a cigarette and was told, "No, I only have two left." The guy insisted that he wanted a cigarette so when he got the second "No," he stabbed the guy.

by Anonymousreply 16105/06/2011

The Federation Longue at the Dickson hotel in Canberra Australia in the 80s. It was dark, seedy and full of drunks. No one would talk to you and the music was only Top 40 garbage on a jukebox. The owners hated the patrons, but it was a good cash cow for them. The motel it was attached to is long gone, but it was a dump even then.

by Anonymousreply 16205/21/2013

Applebees - Atlanta, GA.

by Anonymousreply 16305/21/2013

Where do the young'ns go to dance now? If gay bars are dead, dying, or gone, where on earth can a couple of boys dance?

by Anonymousreply 16405/21/2013

The datelines really do confirm that The DataLounge is on a downward spiral from something once livelier and better, perhaps not unlike some of the establishments mentioned above.

by Anonymousreply 16505/21/2013

The Town House, or as I call it, "The Funeral Home" in NYC. Full of rent-boys and tragic old queens belting out show tunes around a piano.

Zippers in Toronto. They can't tear it down to make room for yet another condo fast enough.

by Anonymousreply 16605/21/2013

The Vatican City. Everybody was into drag and they were all deeply closeted.

by Anonymousreply 16705/21/2013

A place called "Blanche" on Long Island, Nassau County.

by Anonymousreply 16805/21/2013

Blackstones - Bangor, Maine

by Anonymousreply 16905/21/2013

Maybe Brief Encounter in London - boring, despite the name. Obviously any place in London is going to be better than any place in Cedar Rapids, because it's fucking London. But just in terms of living up to its potential, Brief Encounter did NOT.

Similarly, there's a place in the Marais in Paris, around the corner from BHV - just a bar, a bad jukebox and no crowd, ever. No darkroom ... I mean, what's the point? This is Paris? You'd never know.

by Anonymousreply 17005/21/2013

anything connected to Les Natali (based in San Francisco). 'Badlands' in the Castro is so horribly repelling from the sidewalk that I won't go inside it.

I did venture inside Trigger before it closed and instantly that face from the painting 'Scream' crawled through time and space and plastered itself onto me like an octopus in heat

by Anonymousreply 17105/21/2013

1101 in Appleton, WI back in the '80s.

The Yukon Trading Co. in Providence, RI. I believe it is gone now.

The Cartwheel, in New Hope, PA. Burned down, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 17205/21/2013

Parliament House, Orlando, FL. Esp. that tacky little antique shop that was inside the complex run by an arrogant, arrogant queen. Yuck.

Guys would walk by the rooms and press their faces to see if they could peer into the rooms through the crack in the drapes. We had the drapes fully drawn, still they tried. It was rumored that townies would walk around and mug people. I have no reason to doubt it. Sleezy, dangerous atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 17305/21/2013

Woody's in Philly.

Cliquish crowd that frowns upon tourists and new comers. If you're not from the "gayborhood" your not worth knowing.

by Anonymousreply 17405/21/2013

r137, Kings & Queens! YUCK! I agree, it sucked!

by Anonymousreply 17505/21/2013

Some big, tacky place in Charleston, SC. It was off the highway, IIRC. Rude bartenders, ugly interior, very unfriendly patrons, esp. the Bear club. A pal invited us to join them for the evening. They couldn't have been ruder, esp. the big bear in charge. Nasty rude to us, maybe because we was Yankees? What, still fighting the Civil War? Get over it, your side lost. Now, let's remember why we are in a gay bar.

by Anonymousreply 17605/21/2013

r174, how right you are about Woody's. It sucks big time!

by Anonymousreply 17705/21/2013

I dont even recall the name, but it was some tacky place in Ft Meyers area of Florida. Me and b/f at the time were down there visiting is parents. We went there one night, walk in, and there is maybe a dozen guys playing Bingo with a drag queen calling out the numbers. I. Kid. You. Not. We turned right around and as going out the door the drag queen is yelling, "No! Dont go!"

by Anonymousreply 17805/21/2013

r66 and r77, although your posts are old, I agree completely. The Bike Stop is awful.

by Anonymousreply 17905/21/2013

Unfriendly crowd and dive atmosphere at some Palm Springs, CA bar, I think it was called the Tool Shed. My partner and I are both into Leather/BDSM, so we fit in that night anyway. Maybe they are cold to tourists? We couldn't have been given a colder shoulder. Who needs air conditioning when they are that cold?

by Anonymousreply 18005/21/2013

The winner is....FRANK'S PLACE, New London, CT and, if it is still there, a tiny little Gay bar in the basement across the parking lot. I can't remember the name, and I sure don't want to, either. This is about 12-14 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 18105/21/2013

The "VIP Nightclub" in Riverside, California -- Riverside is a hole anyway but this place looked like Joan Steffend had $200 to create a gay bar (purple paint, rainbow flag crap). Not tacky enough to be fun, not lively enough to be a dive.

I don't care about getting a warm welcome anywhere, but the few customers in there just glowered at me and my partner.

This is EXACTLY what the exterior of the "VIP" looked like when we went. (Notice the rainbow flag on the roof. Festive.)

by Anonymousreply 18205/21/2013

r12, what is it with SoCal gay bars? Why are the patrons so darn unfriendly to "family"? I don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 18305/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!