Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rock Hudson

I just watched Pillow Talk for the first time and now I understand all the fuss. He was gorgeous... tall and gorgeous and such a nice manly voice. Like an old high school football star who kept it up. Damn.

by Anonymousreply 16304/21/2014

He sure was handsome. He wasn't much of an actor, though. It's funny to see how they compensated for that in the movies by framing him as the object of attention rather than the source of action, much like a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 109/06/2010

I thought he was a very good actor in comedy (love him in the Doris Day movies) but kind of wooden in drama.%0D %0D %0D %0D Yes, he was gorgeous. And everyone who worked with him commented on what a nice, down-to-earth guy he was.

by Anonymousreply 209/06/2010

He was gay but stayed in the closet

by Anonymousreply 309/06/2010

People love to talk about rumors that he was gay, but he wasn't. He was MARRIED, people! Sheesh!

by Anonymousreply 409/06/2010

My favorite is "All That Heaven Allows". Yes, he's a horribly wooden actor in that one, but the Douglas Sirk production displays him so beautifully. Best watched with the sound off.

by Anonymousreply 509/06/2010

I love that movie.

by Anonymousreply 609/06/2010

It will become an obsession, but it will be a Magnificent Obsession! He is so beautiful in that film. Plus, one of Agnes Mooreheads greatest performances....

by Anonymousreply 709/06/2010

Four Sirk movies are being released for the first time on DVD in the US this month. Some star Hudson, including the little seen Sirk western TAZA (with Hudson as an indian in red-face), They are available for pre-order on the TCM website. Very exciting for Sirk fans.

by Anonymousreply 809/06/2010

YAY! Thanks for the info, R8!

by Anonymousreply 909/06/2010

Miss Moore Hadley if you prefer, R9. You're welcome all the same. THUNDER ON THE HILL is very obscure indeed - and with Claudette Colbert!

by Anonymousreply 1009/06/2010

Forgive me, Miss Moore Hadley, I was so thrilled at the idea of seeing TAZA with all those loincloths and muscled thighs and bare chests that I completely forgot my manners.

by Anonymousreply 1109/06/2010

I understand, the mere thought of Claudette Colbert and Ann Blyth is something I am anticipating with great excitement, as well. Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 1209/06/2010

He was gorgeous in "Darling Lili"

by Anonymousreply 1309/06/2010

The one time he was convincing in a dramatic role was in the creepy cult film "Seconds", where he played a schlub who starts a new life as a handsome hipster.%0D %0D For once in his life Hudson really projected feeling, which must have come naturally as the whole film could be read as being about the cost of the closet. Good film, check it out.

by Anonymousreply 1409/06/2010

He was as wooden an actor as there ever was onscreen and queeny as hell OFFscreen. My dear friend used to work at a nightclub in Florida and Hudson would come in there (while on vacation, I presume) with his cronies. She said he was the squealiest, queeniest, most femmy girl in the place. She was shocked that it was Rock first. They all would get dog drunk and just flap and squawk all night.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1509/06/2010

He was heavily influenced by colleagues (eg, SIrk directing him and Jane Wyman in those bizarre old melodramas}. I prefer Rock at ease with Doris Day (and usually, Tony Randall) in the frothy, romantic comedies like Pillow Talk, etc. These sex farces allowed them all to be funny, sexy, flirty, and ironically, more like themselves than working for Sirk or Hitchcock or George Stevens ever allowed.

Rock and Doris remained good friends after Doris left the biz and until Rock's death from AIDS in the 1980s. Rock may have been a diva a times, and not the finest actor of his generation, but he was popular and well regarded by others, including Elizabeth Taylor and Roddy MacDowell, both of whom became lifelong friends.

by Anonymousreply 1609/07/2010

Rock Hudson was not an actor, he was a MOVIE STAR! There is a huge difference. He was a pretty man who had pictures manufactured by the studio to support whatever image they wanted to project. Other examples were Tony Curtis, Robert Wagner, Jeffrey Hunter etc. They had no real stage experience or acting school experience. Everything they learned, they learned at the studio.

by Anonymousreply 1709/07/2010

Oh, he was a sad old queen who hated being gay

"If only we could stop hating ourselves so much!"

He was one of those dudes, BOYS IN THE BAND-era.

Who romanticize it now?

by Anonymousreply 1809/07/2010

He was great in "Man's Favorite Sport" with Paula Prentiss. %0D %0D There is a certain subtext to that film. %0D %0D I am including a you tube link to the trailer. %0D %0D This was one of Billy Wilder's last old school films, for lack of a better way of putting it.

by Anonymousreply 1909/07/2010

I've never seen "Seconds"%0D %0D Any good?

by Anonymousreply 2009/07/2010

Bob Mitchum could be much queenier. We all kind of wig out when we're drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2109/07/2010

I'm sure this is considered heresy, but I always thought Doris had much better screen chemistry with James Garner (Move Over, Darling and The Thrill Of It All) than with Rock Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 2209/07/2010

Rock at comedic best with Gina Lollobrigida in Come September ...

by Anonymousreply 2309/07/2010

"Seconds" isn't good, too heavy-handed and bloodless.

by Anonymousreply 2409/07/2010

I could never get over Armisted Maupin's description of Rock as having a "baby arm" dangling between his legs. I recently saw a clip of "Giant" and that baby arm was on full disply down his jeans. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 2509/07/2010

R19, that was a Howard Hawks film, not Billy Wilder.

by Anonymousreply 2709/07/2010

Was Bob Mitchum bi, as well? I have heard that in several places. Also that he was very homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2809/07/2010

Bob was not homophobic at all, just closeted. Functionally bi -- married and had children. Impotent in his 60s. Definite preference for men. I worked with him. Interesting in that family still keeps it under wraps ... well, maybe for Dorothy and the kids' benefits.

by Anonymousreply 2909/07/2010

Never heard that Robert Mitchum was bi. He was hot in his youth.

by Anonymousreply 3009/07/2010

Maupin stole the "baby arm holding an apple" metaphor from a Truman Capote short story (not a story about Hudson or other actors, btw), R25-26.

by Anonymousreply 3109/07/2010

Mitchum was a hot daddy in his later years. I worked with him on "War and Remembrance."

by Anonymousreply 3209/07/2010

First time I heard "a baby's arm holding an apple" was in a Tubes song. Response to the shout out: "What do you want from life?"

by Anonymousreply 3409/07/2010

Elaine Stritch ditched Ben Gazarra in the hopes of hooking up with RH.

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2010

Lucy's performance was wonderful. I don't understand why people slam her.

by Anonymousreply 3609/07/2010

Who's Lucy?

by Anonymousreply 3709/07/2010

Garner is bland. %0D %0D 'Come September' was crap. Rock and Gina were perfectly sexy, but the script had them treated like middle-aged fuddy duddy's by Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin-who looked the same age as Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 3809/07/2010

I adored Rock on screen for the frothy delicious dessert that he was. Now, you wanna talk wooden on screen: Thy Name is Cary Grant. Ugh, can't watch him on screen. Add Kate Hepburn to the list of wooden, studied and stilted 'actors'. Cannot watch either of them on screen.

by Anonymousreply 3909/07/2010

Hudson was a big Republican. Fuck him!

by Anonymousreply 4109/07/2010

[r39] very funny

by Anonymousreply 4209/08/2010

I remember watching Rock Hudson as a kid, when he starred in "MacMillan and Wife" with Susan Saint James, and thinking he was handsome.

Like other posters wrote, he was good when he played light-hearted comedy, but he was not a dramatic actor! He looks great in "Giant," but the movie was melodramatic crap!

by Anonymousreply 4309/08/2010

Besides his marriage to Jim Nabors, was Rock ever linked to any famous men?

by Anonymousreply 4409/08/2010

lmao [r44]

by Anonymousreply 4509/08/2010

Anyone care to take a guess at how many cocks Rock had? It's like the perfect storm. He's rich, it's predisease, he's famous, hot as fucking hell........The whore I am if I had all of those above factors going for me I would probably have been riding one or two new ones a week.

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2010

He was offered the male lead in "Bus Stop", but declined. It was a great role, but he probably didn't want to have to deal with the horrors of working with Marilyn Monroe. Too bad; he would have been much better than the mediocre Don Murray.

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2010

I didn't find Garner bland at all.

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2010

Were Rock and Roddy ever lovers?%0D %0D George Clooney reminds me very much of Rock.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2010

Count me in as another Jim Garner fan.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2010

Clooney reminds me of Cary Grant looks wise, except that Clooney can actually emote and has true on-screen charisma. You all know how I feel about Cary, intense dislike. However, few if any stars wore a suit better. His tailoring was impecable.

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2010

An old friend of mine used to trick with Hudson in the late 50's thru 60's. Rock was a size queen and total bottom. In his later years Rock turned into a nasty alcoholic. Very belligerent and bitter. I guess the closet worked it's magic on him.

by Anonymousreply 5209/09/2010

#52, I'd guess the closet has its exitement at first (like a secret relationship nobody is supposed to know about - because both or one of them is married?) but the longer it goes on the more it wears you down.

by Anonymousreply 5409/09/2010

Robert Mitchum liked guys??????? I had no idea! I've always found him immensely sexy but he always seemed straight. Rock was a known closet case but Mitchum....? Is this really true?

by Anonymousreply 5509/09/2010

James Garner had a big old butt! It's displayed prominently in that awful movie he did with Natalie Wood. Cash McCall or something like that.

There's a scene where his back is to the camera and he is wearing these very high-waisted tweed pants. It surprised me because I'd never noticed it before.

by Anonymousreply 5609/09/2010

Kate Hepburn and Cary Grant wooden? What planet are you from?

by Anonymousreply 5709/09/2010

Bob Mitchum used to let Clifton Webb blow him whenever he wanted. Apparently Clifton's blowjob technique was not to be equaled.

by Anonymousreply 5809/09/2010

I taught Clifton everything he knows.

by Anonymousreply 5909/09/2010

Saw "Man's Favorite Sport" at the drive in second billed to the feature "Marnie." It starts out with a scene at the original Abercombie & Fitch store in San Francisco, back when it was a sporting goods store. Love me some Paula Prentis. Rock cruised me one summer afternoon in Times Square, god he was tall. But I was blonde and built like he liked 'em. He was smoking and still relatively handsome. Early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 6009/09/2010

Gore Vidal waxed poetic in PLAYBOY about Jim Garner's scrumptious ass.

by Anonymousreply 6109/09/2010

[r55] really true -- here to tell you from personal experience

by Anonymousreply 6209/09/2010

"Robert Mitchum liked guys??????? I had no idea! I've always found him immensely sexy but he always seemed straight. Rock was a known closet case but Mitchum....? Is this really true?'%0D %0D No, it's not true. This is Datalounge, remember? Mention any sexy or handsome actor and immediately there will be posts screaming "he was gay! He liked rent boys! He was an insatiable bottom? He picked up tricks in restrooms! I fucked him! I know somebody who fucked him! I heard of somebody who knew somebody who fucked him! He was gay, gay, gay!"%0D %0D Mitchum was quite the ladies' man. He was not into guys, although I'm sure a lot of guys wished that he was.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6309/09/2010

no [r63] I worked with him. He much preferred men along with his booze and marijuana.

by Anonymousreply 6409/09/2010

a link

by Anonymousreply 6509/09/2010

[quote]I'm sure this is considered heresy, but I always thought Doris had much better screen chemistry with James Garner (Move Over, Darling and The Thrill Of It All) than with Rock Hudson.%0D %0D ITA with you, R22. I like the Day/Hudson films, but adore the couple of Day/Garner ones. I could watch Move Over, Darling every week.%0D %0D Speaking of man-gods of that era (Garner, Hudson), any dish on Brian Keith? What a great face and body on that man!

by Anonymousreply 6609/09/2010

I think Rock Hudson was the most classicly handsome man that ever existed.

by Anonymousreply 6709/09/2010

I'm looking for the Rock Hudson video that includes the moments from his movies where he supposedly winks at the audience.%0D %0D Anyone know what I'm talking about?

by Anonymousreply 6809/11/2010

I wish Rock had a fling with Rory Calhoun but i doubt it. They were both top in their relationships. Right...? It's difficult for a stud to fuck another stud.

by Anonymousreply 7012/06/2012

"Now, you wanna talk wooden on screen: Thy Name is Cary Grant. Ugh, can't watch him on screen. Add Kate Hepburn to the list of wooden, studied and stilted 'actors'. Cannot watch either of them on screen."

You must not know the definition of "wooden" because neither Grant nor Hepburn were anything even approaching wooden, especially Hepburn, who was highly animated onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 7112/06/2012

"Robert Mitchum liked guys??????? I had no idea! I've always found him immensely sexy but he always seemed straight."

He WAS straight. R64 is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 7212/06/2012

Rock had sex even after he learnt that he had AIDS and without letting his sex partners to know. That was very irresponsible and astonishlingly selfish of him. That's the only thing that make him extremely repulsive to me.

His last 'serious' relationship was with Marc Christian. Anyway, i read that Rock cheated on Marc Christian although he was way too younger than him. Old habits die hard. What a pity. He even had sex with Marc Christian without letting him know about his illness. He should be more careful with his lover. Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 7312/07/2012

Yes he was such a hunk. I think that Rock Hudson could be a great actor and he proved it later, especially in the movie 'Seconds'. He gave a powerful performance there.

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2012

"You are my inspiration, Marie..."

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2012

The final shot in "All That Heaven Allows" with the deer looking through the plate window is so beautiful it makes me nearly swoon.

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2012

Rock was very beautiful in all Douglas Sirk movies he played. He looks also at his best in 'Come September'. What a mature hunk he was in that movie!

What a pity he couldn't be mature in his real life...Anyway, i have read his biography and at least he was very generous to his friends. He was not stingy at all.

by Anonymousreply 7812/07/2012

Love this movie. The gowns were fabulous and Thelma Ritter was really funny in it. I'll bet party lines were lots of fun too.

by Anonymousreply 7912/07/2012

Rock Hudson, wife Phyllis Gates (married 1955-1958), shown with Grace Kelly (right) at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, Los Angeles, 1956

by Anonymousreply 8012/07/2012

Ya ya roly, poly!

by Anonymousreply 8112/07/2012

Lol R81! Nice movie.

by Anonymousreply 8212/07/2012

Who knew Pope Benny posted here?

by Anonymousreply 8412/08/2012

Lol, stop it!

by Anonymousreply 8512/08/2012

Rock Hudson was a better actor than anyone has ever given him credit for. Maybe he was wooden in a few roles, but think of this: some of you might not remember, but most of the world was shocked to discover he was gay. He played the part of his public persona perfectly.

by Anonymousreply 8612/08/2012

I was shocked too when i read it somewhere a few years ago, because he was so masculine. Of course, i was a kid back then and didn't know that masculine men can be gay too.

by Anonymousreply 8712/08/2012

What nationality was Rock? In some pics he looks latinesque, maybe French or French Canadian but not Italian. He was the definition of hunk. Too bad he was so messed up.

by Anonymousreply 8812/08/2012

R89, Rock's mother was of English and Irish descent and his father of German and Swiss descent.

by Anonymousreply 8912/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 9012/08/2012

Rock was hot and handsome, a generous and not a stingy man but...

I read his biography and saw that he couldn't be monogamous. Even in his more 'serious' relationships, he ended up cheating on his partner(s). Read my post, i'm R74 as well and tell me what do you think of that behaviour. I'm curious how gay men view Rock Hudson in general. I think Rock was very selfish and narcissistic but he was capable of being helpful to his friends. However he was not so honest with his partners as it seems.

by Anonymousreply 9112/12/2012

* Oops sorry, i'm R73

by Anonymousreply 9212/12/2012

I was shocked too when i read it somewhere a few years ago, because he was so masculine. Of course, i was a kid back then and didn't know that masculine men can be gay too.

He was a good actor, trained by Henry Willson to act masculine, but people who knew him say that he would let down his guard and be "nelly" around them. I also read that he had surgery on the vocal chords to make his voice so deep. For some unknown reason, it happens to be a fact of life that most exclusive homosexuals are gender non-conforming. I'm old now, and in my youth this was called butch lesbians, and nelly gay men. It is also an inexplicable fact of life that the more beautiful a person is, the more likely that he or she will be homosexual. Rock Hudson certainly fit that bill, but not even as much as Guy Madison, another of Henry Willson's boys.

by Anonymousreply 9312/12/2012

Whenever I watch All That Heaven Allows I want him in me very deeply. Even if it means having to put up with his rustic friends, Alida and Mick.

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2012

R93, you believe that his marriage to Phyllis Gates was sexless? Phyllis said in an interview that she had sex with Rock... What do you think? From what i have read i suspect that Hudson tried to sleep with women but he preferred men, it was flagrant, he slept with many many of them. Even when he was ill, he kept on sleeping with men.

Hehehehehehe R94, gotcha!

by Anonymousreply 9512/12/2012

Well, R95, if Phyllis Gates says there was sex, I have no reason to doubt it. I did not know anything about it, except that it was a marriage which Henry Willson arranged between Rock and his secretary to help hide Rock's sexual orientation. But the idea that homosexuals are somehow disabled from having sex with women is crazy. I've had threesomes where a female friend and myself pick up a homosexal man, and I've had threesomes where a female friend and myself pick up a heterosexual man. People can be sexually functional even if they are with someone who is not their exact preference, and especially if it is a threesome which includes a person of their preference. Sometimes you have to seduce them into it, and alcohol helps. I have a friend who is a really beautiful fag-hag, like Elizabeth Taylor was, and she loves to seduce pretty gay men, and I am happy to help her. I enjoy both her and the pretty gay men.

by Anonymousreply 9612/12/2012

Big Fat Queer you are soooo kissable!

by Anonymousreply 9712/12/2012

Also R96, it's a lot easier to try it when your plumbing is younger

by Anonymousreply 9812/12/2012

Looooooooool R98! What a statement! Well, it has logic, i must admit, although it's a funny remark!

Rock Hudson as an infant

by Anonymousreply 9912/12/2012

Absolutely true R99. When I was in my early teens just hearing the word naked would get me hard. When I was in my 20's I thought I could make myself straight by having sex with women, and I did with the help of my young plumbimg and ability to fantasize the sex was with men. The vagina took the place of my right hand.

by Anonymousreply 10012/12/2012

Back then Hollywood studios had full control over their actors and the media. When Hollywood wanted they could make the general public believe that a mincing queen is the manliest leading man there is. Sure, people talked that they saw Rock Hudson in local gay bars, but that talk never became the same kind of common knowledge as we have now with us all having easy access to the internet and sharing and reading gossip from all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 10112/12/2012

R100, have been apocalyptic!

by Anonymousreply 10212/12/2012

Hudson was still quite handsome the first half of his stint on "Dynasty" (but damn, what a dull storyline) but when Daniel returned for a few more episodes (including the plane crash with Blake), his face was sunken and he looked frail.

by Anonymousreply 10312/12/2012

R103, some of his friends and a lot of other people noticed that physical difference in Rock, but he wouldn't admit that it was something serious. Everybody suspected but Rock wouldn't give in by admitting his illness. He was constantly trying to be available for work and he acted as if his 'fatigue' was something temporary. He wanted to work and to continue his previous way of life.

by Anonymousreply 10412/12/2012

Like, duh r104. HIV/AIDS made you unemployable back then and no insurance would cover a production that featured a known HIV positive person. He had to hide it either because he needed the money or wanted to convince himself that the illness couldn't bring him and his career down.

by Anonymousreply 10512/12/2012

R105, ok to hide it from his employers but to hide it from his closest friends and from his lovers that was...a bit too serious, don't you think? At least, he should inform his lover(s) about his condition. That was pretty immature of him...and he had many chances to be mature.

I don't know, i'm just thinking...

by Anonymousreply 10612/12/2012

People still hold guys like Freddy Mercury in high regard and he hid his HIV status for years and years and didn't tell his tricks about being HIV positive either.

by Anonymousreply 10712/12/2012

Agree, Queen is so overrated and overplayed. And he was a shithead. Hated that operatic shit.

by Anonymousreply 10812/12/2012

A full-length photo of little Rock Hudson

by Anonymousreply 10912/12/2012

Does Linda still hold a grudge against Rock for that kiss? I remember that being such a huge deal after Rock died. Has she ever commented on all of that publicly?

by Anonymousreply 11012/12/2012

Whoa, whoa...wait!

R107, i thought that Freddy had told about his condition to his buddies. No? Did... did Freddy kept on fucking around without informing his partners that he had AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 11112/12/2012

Evans said she did not run out and take a blood test right after that scene.

by Anonymousreply 11312/12/2012

'she'? Who?

by Anonymousreply 11412/12/2012

This thread is proof that there is only bisexual. R112

I don't know if that is true, but I know that I am bisexual, and if amazes me that sex experts are now saying that we don't exist. I'm not well-adjusted to be able to live by other people's rules, and I might be a narcissist. I am not capable of anything resembling monogamous marriage with either male or female. If there is any such thing as "falling in love", then I have never experienced it. But I have been infatuated many times, and I know about being horny. I've always believed what that Kinsey fellow said about everyone being bisexual and there is a scale that goes from almost completely heterosexual to almost completely homosexual, and most people fall somewhere on the scale between those extremes. Being a man of loose morals who has spent my life having sex with anyone who is willing, (although I don't do anal sex and don't get deeply involved in sexual relationships), it certainly seems to me that Kinsey was right. I find that in reality more homosexuals are rigid in being exclusively homosexual, while with heterosexuals they put on a pretense of being exclusively heterosexual. Many years ago I worked at a refinery, and there was a man who said among other men in the control room that he had read about homosexuals in the old days being stacked up and burned, and how that should be done these days also. And then an hour later while I was out in the plant trying to do my job, this same man was out there making passes at me. And I mean actually sexual harassment, grabbing and touching, and trying to kiss me. This was very commonplace when I worked at that refinery because I was right out of high school. But not a one of those Arkansas rednecks and hillbillies would have ever admitted being bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 11512/12/2012

Sexy Rock

by Anonymousreply 11612/14/2012

My all-time FAVORITE comedy-romance film. Love, love, LOVE the on-time chemistry between ALL of the characters. And Rock and Doris' tongue-in-cheek double entendres are absolutely side splitting!!

by Anonymousreply 11712/14/2012

Rock was insipid.

by Anonymousreply 11812/14/2012

Rock liked to be gang banged down at the gas station

by Anonymousreply 11912/14/2012

I think you're confusing ME with YOU, Monty!

by Anonymousreply 12012/14/2012

Rock with Mamie Van Doren

by Anonymousreply 12112/14/2012

R118, Rock was far from insipid.

He made maybe great mistakes in his personal life but he was far from insipid!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 12212/14/2012

Sexy bastard

by Anonymousreply 12312/14/2012

Rock It...

by Anonymousreply 12412/14/2012

Interesting photos in the link below.

by Anonymousreply 12512/14/2012

Iread that Raymond Burr could not get an errection with women and Rock Hudson felt women were dirty.

by Anonymousreply 12602/22/2013

Rock had full, sensual lips.

by Anonymousreply 12702/22/2013

R126, i didn't know that Rock Hudson felt women are dirty. Really? Have you read that somewhere or you just feel that women are dirty?

by Anonymousreply 12802/23/2013

I found out he was gay around the time that show McMillan and Wife was on. Knew some people in the makeup department that said he was forever hitting on all the hot guys in the service departments and yes, he was very femmy off camera, as himself. Like he turned on a switch and let his real self come out.

by Anonymousreply 12902/23/2013

His beard for a long time was Marilyn Maxwell. After he died, she said that he had suggested they get married and could each have their own lives. She said she actually considered it because they were very good friends and it could be a good arrangement but in the end felt she could not live a lie like that.

by Anonymousreply 13002/23/2013

by Anonymousreply 13102/23/2013

Rock Hudson Says...

by Anonymousreply 13203/13/2013

Rock Hudson with Marc Christian

by Anonymousreply 13303/18/2013

Rock with Marc Christian meet Michael Jackson

by Anonymousreply 13403/18/2013

He was awesome in The Giant. He should have won the Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 13507/21/2013

10 Oct 1956, Manhattan, New York, New York, USA — The El Morocco. New York City: Jack Warner, actress Natalie Wood, Henry Willson, Rock Hudson and Phyllis Gates.

by Anonymousreply 13610/17/2013

If he was so gay, why did all his closest pals and confidantes such as Mark Miller believe he was actually bisexual?

by Anonymousreply 13710/17/2013

R137, if he was bisexual he would have seriously dated women of his profession. Only Mamie Van Doren has stated that she actually slept with him. However, he never had a serious romance with a woman(i doubt that he fell for his wife, although she was very presentable) It is stated that when he grew older he was sleeping strictly with men. That speaks volumes.

He was not feminine, that's why his friends thought he was bisexual. He was also an actor so he could perplex others...

by Anonymousreply 13810/17/2013

When you are extremely handsome people always call you bisexual even if your homosexuality is active most of the time. What if Rock tried to sleep with a woman or two and he didn't get excited by it? That makes him bi or just a gay man who tried to turn straight?

He was an ass hunter. He enjoyed men. He loved to fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 13910/17/2013

Is the story about screaming in the desert to lower his voice true? If so, that might indicate that he had an FMN8 voice, naturally.

by Anonymousreply 14010/17/2013

RH was also very likable which was part of his charm. Don't now how he was in real life but he seemed likable.

Can anyone recommend a biography?

by Anonymousreply 14110/17/2013

Should we start a poll on Rock Hudson vs. "The Rock"?

by Anonymousreply 14210/17/2013

[quote]Like an old high school football star who kept it up.

Woe unto the old high school football stars who can no longer keep it up.

by Anonymousreply 14310/17/2013

He's about 3 feet taller than the other people in R136 pic

by Anonymousreply 14410/17/2013

I can still taste death and Pall Malls from his kiss. I'm tasting it NOW!

by Anonymousreply 14510/17/2013

R143 You mean like Rock's grandson, Finn Hudson?

by Anonymousreply 14610/17/2013

r58 I didn't know who that was and looked him up on wiki. There was this funny there

[quote]Webb never married and had no children. He lived with his mother until her death at age 91 in 1960, leading Noël Coward to remark, apropos Webb's grieving, "It must be terrible to be orphaned at 71"

by Anonymousreply 14710/17/2013

The gay Super in the building -- he owns it -- explained it to me and had me understand it: they had faces then.

by Anonymousreply 14810/17/2013

I read two books on Rock Hudson. One wasn't sole about him and one was the biography written with his cooperation and his friends were given permission to cooperate.

The first one was The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson. I thought it was a great and interesting book but not solely about Rock but had a lot about him in it. Basically what he was willing and required to do on and off the casting couch to be famous and continue to be a star.

The next was just titled Rock Hudson. It was a good, mostly factual story about his life. In this book though he was portrayed as just a little to good of a guy. A big lug who laughed a lot. A lot. Seemed he wasn't gay until he got AIDS. Then he was given the usual martyr treatment.

It's too bad. Would like to read a little more salacious dirt. Rock was a man who got gangbanged. He did pick up tricks on the street. He did buy a house near a university so he could trick with the football team for money. He did "discover" Lee Majors. He was highly sexually active. Would have liked to have read some of that. And all of this just wasn't when he was older and bored. He liked the pole and the hole around the clock.

by Anonymousreply 14910/17/2013

Is the board acting up for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 15010/18/2013

Yes Big Time :(

by Anonymousreply 15110/18/2013

If he was such a good man R149, he wouldn't have slept with his partner while he knew he had AIDS without warning him. Rock also was sleeping with other men while he knew he had AIDS. I doubt that he talked to them about his condition, he kept them on the dark like he did with his partner Christian.

I have also read a biography of Rock (Idol: Rock Hudson : The True Story of an American Film Hero) and i think this book gives an honest portrait of Rock Hudson. Yes, Rock could be very generous with people and especially with his friends, he loved laughing and joking, but he could also stop talking to some people. I think he grew cold with one or a couple of his managers as far as i can remember. He didn't want them anymore in his life, he wouldn't change his mind for anything...

by Anonymousreply 15210/19/2013

I was just saying it was the way the book portrayed him. After all the reading I've done about him I've come to the conclusion he didn't much give a shit about anyone or anything except his money, cock, and his career.

by Anonymousreply 15310/19/2013

Is the Rock Hudson movie still in progress? Been looking forward to seeing that movie for years now..

by Anonymousreply 15410/19/2013

It was made years ago. The lead wasn't famous. I remember the Cukor pool scene, and a scene of Hudson "giving in to his urges" and picking a guy up in a bar.

by Anonymousreply 15510/19/2013

No, you don't understand, they're making a NEW Rock Hudson movie, see the link. Not much info though. Not sure if it will ever be made.

by Anonymousreply 15610/19/2013

I think another Rock Hudson movie will only be made if a big star agrees to take on the project.

by Anonymousreply 15710/19/2013

Don't know if it's already been mentioned in this thread, (there's too many to go through) but Michael Gordon the director of Pillow Talk was the grandfather of Joseph Gordon Levitt.

by Anonymousreply 15810/19/2013

Some info, but it's from March..

by Anonymousreply 15910/19/2013

R147 I highly recommend Clifton Webb's movies. Off hand I recall Laura, The Razor's Edge, Three Coins in the Fountain, Titanic and Sitting Pretty. (Sitting Pretty is hysterical. Also love Titanic (with Barbara Stanwyck and Robert Wagner) and The Razor's Edge (with Gene Tierney and Tyrone Power).

by Anonymousreply 16010/19/2013

R149 never knew rock discovered lee majors.

by Anonymousreply 16111/23/2013

I believe in the next life rock Hudson and will be lovers

by Anonymousreply 16204/21/2014

I bought Pillow Talk on dvd recently and the print is crappy.

I bought it after watching Rock Hudson's Home Movies, which I loved, so I watched it through a gay haze. His gayness is so clear!

by Anonymousreply 16304/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!