Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sanity on Iraq

The President%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s announcement that all U.S. combat troops have left Iraq is no more believable than the %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98Mission Accomplished%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99 declaration was in 2003. Once again, we are being told the mission has been accomplished and our brave men and women are coming back home. Though the people are hopeful they remain skeptical, and rightfully so.

The biggest problem is that success in Iraq is undefinable since the mission was never defined. The reasons given for the invasion were based on misinformation. Now, the war has cost us hundreds of billions of dollars and this has contributed significantly to our economic woes.

Forty-four hundred Americans are dead, thirty thousand severely wounded, and more than a hundred thousand are suffering from serious health problems related to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. This alone should tell us that it was not worth the investment and the needless sacrifice of our young people and the taxpayers.

It is deceitful to imply we will avoid hostilities with this new policy. We still have to contend with: %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93the 50,000 troops carrying weapons remain in Iraq %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93the 100,000 contractors that remain, with more expected to go to Iraq %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93the 9,000 special ops personnel trained in assassinations that remain in Iraq %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93a huge embassy, bigger than the Vatican, that will remain %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93dozens of military bases that will stay %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93the al Qaeda organizations that did not exist in Iraq before the war %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93Muqtada al Sadr, a strong nationalist, has gained much political power %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93the fact that Iran benefits tremendously with the Shiites now in power in Iraq and is a close ally of al Sadr

Osama bin Laden wins by %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98proving%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99 that America has an agenda of occupation in the Middle East. And, we continue to walk into his trap and hand him up his best recruitment tool in his efforts to incite hatred and terrorism against the United States.

What%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s worse, President Obama made it clear last night that the troops and resources leaving Iraq will not come home to defend our country or ease our economic woes. They will instead be diverted to Afghanistan, perhaps also Pakistan and, I fear, even Iran.

From my viewpoint we are the losers in this fool%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s errand of endless war. Tragically, this new policy is not one of peace but merely a charade that will severely undermine our national security and continue us down the path to bankruptcy%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94a threat that we best not long ignore.

by Anonymousreply 1310/10/2012

The fourth paragraph was bullet points.

Format issues.

by Anonymousreply 109/01/2010

Obama has nothing left to run on. He has failed at everything else. Now, he's trying to win on foreign policy. It won't work.

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2010

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2010

I thought this would generate more discussion.

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2010

We could have paid for a single-payer national health plan.

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2010

OK so here is the thing.

If the 50,000 troops who are still there get involved in some sort of heavy violence like being bombed or something like that, what does Obama say?

There is no war? What?

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2010

Why didn't you credit this to Ron Paul, OP? This is his official response to Obama's comments Monday.

But you're right, I'm surprised all the libertarians and Repubs on DL haven't jumped on to cheer about this. They must be busy bringing up Teh Evil Moozlims on other threads like the one about the girl who drowned puppies.

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2010

There is no Al Qaeda or Osama. You're being duped. This was President Cheney's private enterpri$e for Haliburton. He is a grotesque, lying sociopath.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2010

Nearly 9 months later, we are still in Iraq and Afghanistan, and now we are Libya too.

So much for the Anti-War mantra.

by Anonymousreply 905/22/2011

Bush, Rummy and Cheney-Halliburton should be brought up on charges at The Hague.

by Anonymousreply 1005/22/2011

I agree, R10, and I would add that Obama, Clinton and the rest should also be brought to justice for continuing and expanding these illegal and immoral wars.

by Anonymousreply 1105/22/2011

I believe it was McCain who said truthfully that non-combat troops would probably remain in Iraq indefinity. I knew at the time it was probably true, while everyone else twisted his words to say we'd stay in Iraq for 'a hundred years'.

by Anonymousreply 1205/22/2011

Since we STILL aren't out of Iraq, I'm bumping for the Webcuntress so she can delete this too.

by Anonymousreply 1412/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!