Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Facebook Changes - Do they reactivate old accounts?

Weird but I got an email notification a few weeks ago from facebook. I just saw the email because I rarely use this old email adddress. A few years ago I had an old FB account which I deactivated a couple years back. Well I got an email from facebook - a friends request for this OLD account. I thought the account was gone, but it is not. Was I hacked? THis friends request was from a friend who is already on my newer account I did a search on FB for myself with this old email address and I came up in FB search. I was also able to relog into this old account. I just now again deactivated this account. Kinda annoyed FB would reactivate an old account on their own. It wasn't an account I still wanted to be active. I wanted it deleted and gone for good. and I thought that was done a couple years ago. Has this happened to anyone? Looks like the account was just recently reactivated. Because it came with old friends requests - friends that I am now friends with on my newer account.

by annoyed with facebookreply 6010/12/2014

I thought of that R7, so I went directly to the FB website without clicking on links. It was reactivated without my doing so. Anyway, just a heads up to anyone who has deactivated accounts - they may now be popping up on the site again.

by annoyed with facebookreply 908/31/2010

I have deleted (not deactived) my account 4 times in the last 6 months.%0D %0D It keeps popping back up. I tried to email facebook to ask why and they said I must have "forgotten" i chose to reactivate it.%0D %0D When I tell them I DELETED the damn thing, they respond with the same canned response.%0D %0D Facebook is so poorly run they can't even send the proper boiler plate to answer a question.%0D %0D BTW: for $20 you can buy and app that bypasses all their security and will give you millions of email addresses directly from Facebook, all you need is an account with one friend to make it work.%0D %0D Gotta love that piece of shit huh.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1108/31/2010

What are you talking about R11? What app?

Is deactivating and deleting the same thing? I clicked on deactivate. I didn't see any section that said delete. I deactivated it. Frankly, The whole thing kind of made me want to vomit.

Can I permanently delete it instead of deactivate?

by annoyed with facebookreply 1208/31/2010

You fools. You think to control the facebook, but it is mine.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1308/31/2010

Facebook runs the world.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1408/31/2010

[quote]Weird. I have noticed that I have several friends who deactivate their accounts from time to time. It is annoying as hell when people are on and off your friends lists. At first I thought that I did something, and the person dropped me. I have noticed that when they reinstate the account, that other people post on the page asking where they have been. I wonder if it is an attention seeking thing.%0D %0D God, I have a friend who does this and it's so annoying. He's been on an off facebook about four times already. Now he's back on but has two accounts. One for personal use and one that's more career-focussed. I was on the career one but he defriended me (again) and added me to the personal one.%0D %0D Next time he does that I'm just going to turn down his friend request. Enough already.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1508/31/2010

My sister deleted her facebook account a while back, but all the info she posted was still available to her "friends". All that happened was that in place of her user name it said Anonymous. When she decided to start up a facebook account again she filled out the user info and it auto redirected to her old account with the same old info and friends list.

Facebook is the devil! (Said like Kathy Bates in The Water Boy.)

by annoyed with facebookreply 1708/31/2010

R16. I highly doubt it.

It was probably just spammers or something.

That's so odd R17. That didn't happen when I started my newer account - but I started it a couple years ago, I guess fb has changed since then.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1808/31/2010

Exes are vile. Don't disgard my theory entirely R18, stranger things have happened.

by annoyed with facebookreply 1908/31/2010

Yes, it happened to me. If you sign into any online service that connects with Facebook account (and a lot of them are now) it automatically reactivates your inactive FB account. If you're really sure you're not going to use FB again, go to Google and search "deactivate Facebook account" and it should give you a link to the instructions for doing it.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2008/31/2010

OP, as someone explained above, deactivating is not the same as deleting. You can reactivate a deactivated account just by logging in with your email and password; everything pops up as though frozen in time.

Facebook wants you to think they're the same thing and make it hard to find the link to delete the account. Here you go:

by annoyed with facebookreply 2108/31/2010

THanks R21. The problem with that is now I would have to go log in and reactivate the account again to then just delete it. I don't want to reactivate this account at all. I deactivated it already.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2208/31/2010

R19 I still don't think that is the case. R20 what you said makes a lot of sense! That is probably what happened. THe email I got from FB was this:

Hey ****

The account associated with yournameatyouremail.com was recently reactivated.

If you are not the one who reactivated the account please visit our help center at - url link

Thanks, The Facebook Team

Ok by what you said R20 and rereading the FB email, that is probably what happened. Thank you so much for your help! I truly appreciate it! I was freaking out for a bit,

by annoyed with facebookreply 2308/31/2010

[quote]Frankly, The whole thing kind of made me want to vomit.

You in danger, girl.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2408/31/2010

[quote] I don't want to reactivate this account at all. I deactivated it already.

Deactivating is meaningless, and reactivating is trivial. It won't take five seconds to log back in and hit the delete button. The people on your friends list won't even notice you popped back in. Then it will all be over.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2508/31/2010

I received this email from Facebook after clicking on the delete option helpfully linked by r21:

[quote] Hi Mark, We have received a request to permanently delete your account. Your account has been deactivated from the site and will be permanently deleted within 14 days. If you did not request to permanently delete your account, please login to Facebook to cancel this request:

by annoyed with facebookreply 2608/31/2010

Thanks R25/R26. I really don't care about anyone on that old friends list seeing me pop in, that's not why I don't want to log in to reactivate it and then delete. It just creeped me out to see a an profile picture that I forgot even existed. I have a fuzzy memory sometimes and didn't remember pictures. So I freaked out and felt kind of ill (I know - MARY!)

Anyway I will have someone delete it for me. Thank you.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2708/31/2010

Man up and delete that shit OP. Facebook is the enemy.

by annoyed with facebookreply 2808/31/2010

Echos R28. Pussy!

by annoyed with facebookreply 2908/31/2010

[quote]If you sign into any online service that connects with Facebook account (and a lot of them are now) it automatically reactivates your inactive FB account.

Sans the obvious, twitter, blogspot, tumblr..

What other websites are doing this?

by annoyed with facebookreply 3008/31/2010

I took off my photo, name, all my info and deleted my hundreds of friends before I "deleted" it back in April. I'm scared to check on it for fear it somehow un-deletes.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3108/31/2010

THE FRIENDS REQUEST IS COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!!

by annoyed with facebookreply 3208/31/2010

Your ex hacked the account.%0D %0D Mark my words.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3308/31/2010

Why are you scared R31? You left no stone unturned.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3408/31/2010

I hate facebook. HATE IT.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3509/01/2010

Someone explain this to me like I'm a 2 year old.%0D %0D If I deactivate an account. Can it resurface?

by annoyed with facebookreply 3609/01/2010

Yes, r36. It still exists; it's just dormant until reactivated.

What you should be asking is, what might reactivate it? How might you unknowingly do that?

by annoyed with facebookreply 3709/01/2010

Please enlighten us R37.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3809/01/2010

R19, I think I finally figured out what happened. And you are correct!

Awhile ago we had a thread on DL about a site called mylife. I remember seeing the thread and noticed that I was on that site even though I never signed up. So I was able to log in and delete that account. I think it is related to classmates com - which i belonged to years ago. So I logged into mylife and I was able to delete hat account. Mylife must of had this old email address on file.

Mylife connects to many other sites including facebook. It most likely reactivated this old facebook account.

Anyway thanks again. Makes a lot of sense. So whomever posted about mylife last month it probably links to your old accounts - you should probably check to see if you have any deleted accounts that are now back up)

I never use this old email address so I guess I will have to go through it to see if any other accounts were reactivated.

Thanks again.

by annoyed with facebookreply 3909/01/2010

I meant r20 was correct - not R19 (although I am sure some exes do hack into things, this clearly isn't the case and I never thought it was)

by annoyed with facebookreply 4009/01/2010

1. If someone deactivates their account, would they still show up in a Google search? %0D %0D 2. Can someone completely hide the fact they have a FB account and make it so they are not found in a search anywhere at all--all their previous comments disappear and they show up in no one's list?

by annoyed with facebookreply 4109/01/2010

Good question R41, I will have to check the google thing.

But in regards to your second question, my newer fb account does not come up anywhere in FB search-- anywhere at all. I don't show up on friends or group lists (unless it's my friends are looking at the list etc) I don't know about the comments thing though. I think that always stays.

by annoyed with facebookreply 4209/01/2010

R41, I just checked and the answer is no to your first question. Oh and for your second question, if it is just a matter of hiding you being on facebook to people, you can specifically block certain people, in which case you could accomplish all of what you wrote in question 2. But you have to know who you are blocking and specifically block them to do that - you can't just do it in general (I don't think) - your block has to be user specific

by annoyed with facebookreply 4309/01/2010

Thank you, Op :)

by annoyed with facebookreply 4409/01/2010

Mylife is fucked. It will destroy lives.

by annoyed with facebookreply 4509/01/2010

Please elaborate, R45.

by annoyed with facebookreply 4609/01/2010

I'm a little freaked out and maybe someone can figure out what's up: %0D %0D Two years ago I set up a Skype account to chat with one friend--that's it. One day I made myself visible and had a couple random chats with random people--one happened to be a nice, good looking guy from Turkey. We talked, said goodbye, never to talk again.%0D %0D Yesterday, I set up a fake FB account using a new email (not the SKYPE email) and made my settings private. I have added no people, or done any activities. Nothing.%0D %0D Just a few minutes ago, I get a FB email from the Turkish guy to my SKYPE email of 2 years ago! What's going on?!%0D %0D I can't tell what it says because it's Turkish. It has his profile pic and then some writing.%0D %0D

by annoyed with facebookreply 4709/03/2010

[bold]Facebook Tests Stalker-Friendly "Subscribe to" Feature

Facebook is testing a new feature that allows any user to "subscribe to" another user. What with having hundreds of friends, multiple news feeds and only so many hours in the day, you might miss out on what your ex-girlfriend is doing these days--and that will not stand!

The "subscribe to" feature gives you notifications whenever someone to whom you've subscribed takes action on Facebook, from status updates to photo uploads to wall comments. The new feature doesn't seem to extend as far as Facebook Places check-ins--Facebook says it only applies to updated statuses and new content.

[More at link.]

by annoyed with facebookreply 4809/04/2010

[/bold]

by annoyed with facebookreply 4909/04/2010

/

by annoyed with facebookreply 5009/04/2010

I'm joining this thread 2 years later, but am so frustrated I need to vent.

My mother has a Facebook page which she asked me to deactivate several times. Every time I do, it just reactivates automatically after a few weeks.

Not only that, but she has "friends" that she never invited or accepted invitations from. The "friends" are friends of friends of hers. She knows them, but she's never contacted them and vice versa. And the list keeps growing.

Finally, she has lists of "likes" that she never "liked" - from stores, food sites, political sites. This makes her crazy, since she doesn't even truly like just about any of them. I did do some googling and found out that simply visiting a page can make you "like" it whether you click on the button or not. Really horribly sneaky.

What I don't understand is why this doesn't happen to me. I've had none of the problems that she's had. And she doesn't even *use* FB, which is why she keeps asking me to delete it.

It's like a vampire - it just won't die!

Any new thoughts or solutions will be appreciated.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5109/13/2012

hlo

by annoyed with facebookreply 5212/06/2012

R51:

There's a difference between deactivating a Facebook account and deleting it.

Deactivating the account just lets it lie dormant until you log back in. Your mom is doing something that logs her back in.

Deleting the account (follow the link below to do that; they don't make it easy to find) will deactivate it for two weeks, during which you can decide to log back in and reactivate (but it makes you confirm that you really want to reactivate). After 14 days everything is purged.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5312/06/2012

[quote]Not only that, but she has "friends" that she never invited or accepted invitations from. The "friends" are friends of friends of hers. She knows them, but she's never contacted them and vice versa. And the list keeps growing.

Are you sure these aren't just "Suggested Friends" or "People You May Know"?

[quote]Finally, she has lists of "likes" that she never "liked" - from stores, food sites, political sites. This makes her crazy, since she doesn't even truly like just about any of them. I did do some googling and found out that simply visiting a page can make you "like" it whether you click on the button or not. Really horribly sneaky.

Facebook now has sponsored posts -- ads, really. You don't have to "like" the thing in the post for them to show up in your feed. Nothing we can do about that.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5412/06/2012

[quote]Facebook Tests Stalker-Friendly "Subscribe to" Feature

That's funny to read now, two years later. The Subscribe feature has actually enhanced the site. It's cool to be able to follow people (writers, celebrities etc. who have opened up their public posts to subscribers) without having to be "friends" with them.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5512/06/2012

I learned my lesson about having Facebook "friends" over the 5 or 6 years I had my old account. My new account is subscriber-only. My privacy settings are such that only "friends of friends" can send me friend requests, but since I have none to begin with, nobody can friend me.

Instead, they can subscribe, and I can to them. It's a one-way transaction, like Twitter, so one party can unsubscribe for whatever reason.

It's what Facebook should have been all along.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5612/06/2012

[quote]My privacy settings are such that only "friends of friends" can send me friend requests, but since I have none to begin with, nobody can friend me

Not strictly the case. Someone you subscribe to can send you a friend request even if you have no friends in common.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5712/06/2012

[quote]I did do some googling and found out that simply visiting a page can make you "like" it whether you click on the button or not. Really horribly sneaky.

This is not true.

by annoyed with facebookreply 5812/06/2012

I have a question...my account was deactivated for a couple of months (I needed a break from facebook). When I went back today, I noticed that I was dropped by my ex. When I clicked on his page, I noticed that he wrote that he went from 500 to 50 friends, and is only keeping close friends and family. How did he drop me, when I wasn't even there? I wouldn't have been on his friends list to begin with, because my account was deactivated, right?

by annoyed with facebookreply 5910/12/2014

[all posts by tedious troll removed.]

by annoyed with facebookreply 6010/12/2014
Need more help? Click Here.