Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Katrina-it was an issue of economic class, not race, damn it...

If the area was predominantly made up of impoverished white people the exact same kind of neglect would have occurred. I'm absolutely sick and tired of Spike Lee and others insisting it was blatant racism.

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013

Sure, OP. Remember those floods in North and South Dakota as well as these most recent ones in Iowa? They were half as destructive and got a ton of money and help quickly. The victims weren't killed by cops on a bridge b/c they wanted to get out of the city and there weren't signs with nooses hanging on them warning poor people to keep out of neighboring unflooded counties. Lemme guess, OP, you think it's an advantage to be black in this country don't you?

by Anonymousreply 108/29/2010

In fairness, OP, the Spike Lee documentary does feature poor whites who were neglected as well.

that said, screaming racism is Lee's bread and butter. If it didn't exist he would have nothing to make films about.

by Anonymousreply 208/29/2010

If you think "impoverished white people" weren't affected by Katrina, I'd like to introduce you to St. Bernard Parish.

by Anonymousreply 308/29/2010

And rich white people. Lakeview.%0D %0D The problem was how huge it was. Soooooo many people. Such a huge area. Unless you've been down here to see how big it was, you'll never understand. Miles and miles and miles of destruction.

by Anonymousreply 408/29/2010

Poor blank and white people were victims in Katrina and what is very clear is that they were not helped because they were not important to help keep the people in power in place. If Uptown or the Garden District had flooded instead of the lower Ninth Ward, then those helicopters would have landed right away in Audubon Park with water and MREs.

by Anonymousreply 508/29/2010

OP doesn't care about black people!!

by Anonymousreply 608/29/2010

Wrong. R5. A lot of Uptown did flood. And Lakeview which was rich and white. And Old Metairie which is again, rich and white.%0D %0D But none of them were here. And if all of uptown and the garden district had flooded there would have been no need for copters. They weren't here. The rich left.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 708/29/2010

What about a couple of the nursing homes? There were many old white people and black people who were left behind because everyone was trying to fend for themselves, completely sick and extremely sad.

Spike Lee is a horrible, extremely bitter pig. He wants said that he knows what people than white people knows who they are and they are nothing but awful racists. Right, like he isn't a racist? I heard he can't stand white people so it works both ways, complete jerk. The man is a millionaire and he still bitches.

by Anonymousreply 808/29/2010

Fuck you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 908/29/2010

[quote]I'm absolutely sick and tired of Spike Lee and others insisting it was blatant racism.

Really, OP? I'm sick of the propaganda spewing from Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and Fox News.

Where the hell is Spike Lee, anyway? Why are you so "sick & tired" of him?

by Anonymousreply 1008/29/2010

When they tell you to leave, you leave!%0D You don't hang around during a mandatory evacuation anf then call the police to come get your ass off the roof!%0D Yes, a lot were poor and some mentally ill, but I would have started walking.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1108/29/2010

Spike just did a follow up on his Katrina Documentary. It's been on.

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2010

God R11, I'm so fucking tired of that shit. If you had 20 bucks, just how far could you walk in the Louisiana sun? Where would you go? What would you take with you? Do you know how many times the people of NO evacuated for no reason? The hurricane missed New Orleans. Unfortunately the levees exploded anyway. Perhaps I should keep this for the conspiracy page but I think there's oil and natural gas underneath those neighborhoods and the government allowed them to be decimated.

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2010

R11, I hope you're a troll.

by Anonymousreply 1408/29/2010

R11, common sense isn't wanted around here.

by Anonymousreply 1508/29/2010

Well R13 I was with you, cheering you on right up until you exploded the levees. No oil or gas erupted. There were no bombs. A barge broke through one place and wind and water took care of the rest. The levees were meant to hold off a Cat 3 storm. Katrina was a Cat 3 wind pushing Cat 4 water. %0D %0D But you have that first part absolutely right.

by Anonymousreply 1608/29/2010

Well then R11 fits right in because his post hasn't got a lick of sense in it.

by Anonymousreply 1708/29/2010

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 1808/29/2010

[quote]Sure, OP. Remember those floods in North and South Dakota as well as these most recent ones in Iowa? They were half as destructive and got a ton of money and help quickly.

Bullshit. One of my friends lost his home in Iowa City and it took weeks for FEMA to do jack shit for anyone.

I'm not saying there wasn't racism involved in how some people reacted to Katrina or reported it, but if you're going to claim white people in Iowa City got preferential treatment, you are completely full of shit. The rebuilding certainly happened more quickly here, but that was people rebuilding their own neighborhoods *themselves*, probably because we're used to flooding here and used to the government taking their sweet time getting anything done.

by Anonymousreply 1908/29/2010

[quote]If you had 20 bucks, just how far could you walk in the Louisiana sun?%0D %0D Not to mention, what if you had a job that you couldn't just walk away from for a week or two?

by Anonymousreply 2008/29/2010

I don't know if you're serious, R20, but just in case: Most evacuations last three days. Businesses close. You won't lose your job especially for leaving for a mandatory evac. %0D %0D For my evac from Katrina I took two changes of clothing. I was out for three weeks. I worked for a hospital and they brought us back as soon as they could because our hospital was unharmed. Once they got the water going we were back because our generator ran on water. Electric was out a long time.

by Anonymousreply 2108/29/2010

Geez, so many of you are not quick on the uptake.

My point was that if that area's population had overwhelmingly consisted of poor white people rather than black people than the exact same neglect would have occurred.

by Anonymousreply 2208/29/2010

What's Katrina?

by Anonymousreply 2308/29/2010

[quote]I don't know if you're serious, [R20], but just in case: Most evacuations last three days. Businesses close. You won't lose your job especially for leaving for a mandatory evac. %0D %0D Not all businesses close. And if you wait until the day everybody else leaves town, good luck finding a hotel room or getting anywhere except stuck on the fucking interstate.

by Anonymousreply 2408/29/2010

I lived through a Cat 2 and a Cat 3 hurricane and I can't even imagine what a Cat 5 would be like...probably the bowels of Hell.%0D %0D The following hurricane I put my hurricane shutters up, with all my neighbors doing the same in the neighborhood, and I got the hell out.%0D I will never live through that again if I can help it...it has to be seen to be believed.

by Anonymousreply 2508/29/2010

Wrong, OP! Miners, flood victims in the midwest, trailer park residents in Tornado Ally....they ALL get swift help and billions of dollars whenever tragedy strikes them. New Orleans was left to fend for itself and it was shameful.

by Anonymousreply 2608/29/2010

OP, R11 etc ... you're really very pathetic and almost do not warrant a response.

Black people are disproportionately poor, especially in the urban areas and the south, and New Orleans even more so. Poorer people tend to be most vulnerable in crises and disasters.

How can you "evacuate", as was said previously, if you're living paycheck to paycheck, only have $200, and have no resources? Without a car? How can you book a hotel room without credit cards? Can you leave town if you're waiting for your disability check? If you live with elderly parents who also have no resources? Should I go on, R11 aka Miss Gay Orlando 1983 3rd Runner Up ... or do you "get it"?

And R21, do you know for a fact that minimum wage employers were guaranteeing employees' jobs would be held? Or can you be certain that possibly some were not threatened with dismissal if they didn't show up? Most of the jobs in the 9th Ward and many other places were washed away, anyway, so the point would be ... ?

FWIW, Spike Lee may be pushing the envelope sometimes, but he's trying to get attention and illustrate a point. Spike Lee wasn't the problem, girls. N.O.'s crumbling infrastructure, a poorly prepared city govt and a lackluster and almost criminal response by the Bush Administration were the problems. Criticize the people responsible for this tragedy and stop focusing on a film director.

Oh and you trifling queens need to take your meds if you seriously think a Republican administration would let white people starve and go for days without food or water ... or condone "shoot to kill" orders for residents trying to lawfully transit across a bridge or highway.

by Anonymousreply 2708/29/2010

R27, are you a moron? There were white people along with black people who stood in line side by side with no water in blistering heat. A WHITE lady was diabetic, and was without her insulin shots. There was another WHITE person in a wheel chair who died because she couldn't last any longer. There were some WHITE people sitting on top of a building without any food for days as well as many black people. The list of incidents of human neglect had no color. So please, it's obvious R27 you%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99re a big racist. Yes, there was a huge black population that suffered in Katrina, but to claim that the administration solely helped WHITE people, why don't you say that to the many White victim%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s families who died in that catastrophe complete idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2808/29/2010

It was a horrendous, mishandled tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 2908/29/2010

Sorry, I meant to say "if you're living paycheck to paycheck, only have $200.."

by Anonymousreply 3008/29/2010

Hey - If I had to evacuate and had to leave me pets behind - I too would have stayed hoping for the best!

by Anonymousreply 3108/29/2010

Why is it so important to you that this be a crime against class instead of race? Yes, some white people were affected, but I remember seeing predominently black faces among the victims. Race played an enormous factor in the way these people were treated, if only because it occurred in the South. If you need further proof just look what race was displaced by the reconstruction. Republicans believe that black equals democratic voters. I've no doubt there is contempt for the poor, but I wager if you were to ask a republican what the average poor person looks like the description would include the word black.

by Anonymousreply 3208/29/2010

They weren't neglected just because they were black and they weren't neglected just because they were poor--they were neglected because they were black AND poor!

by Anonymousreply 3308/29/2010

This is what pisses me off...%0D %0D remember that parking lot full of school buses. Why didn't they help evacuate people with those?

by Anonymousreply 3408/29/2010

I agree with r35. The State should be prepared, especially when a city is below sea level.

by Anonymousreply 3608/29/2010

No OP doesn't get it. New Orleans, like San Francisco, is viewed as something alien to most Americans. Neither could depend on outside assistance because of this general background prejudice. It was hardly a surprise what N.O. faced. It had been extensively covered what a disaster it would be.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3708/29/2010

hat was the deal with the schoolbuses? They were left in NO and were ruined by the water.

by Anonymousreply 3808/29/2010

"our generator ran on water"

Wow, does ConEd know about this technology?

by Anonymousreply 3908/29/2010

R38, they weren't ruined by water until after the hurricane. They could have been used to help people evacuate.%0D %0D or are you bitching about it like me?

by Anonymousreply 4008/29/2010

R40, there was no plan. You have to have contracts in place to do things like that. No plans to evacuate anyone had been made. Traditionally people got themselves out or they stayed put. They were showing those buses as hindsight.

by Anonymousreply 4108/29/2010

Okay, I'll take the bait.

Well, considering the fact that most poor white people do not live in poor neighborhoods, the basis of your argument is slightly flawed, OP. Look, our country's issue with class oppression is disgusting. You have many of poor whites who fall victim to an unfair economic system. And yes, most poor people are white so we cannot ignore them.

However, there is plentiful evidence that suggest that poor whites still have advantages over their poor minority counterparts. I won't compile a list but one major advantage is that of perception. White people are never assumed to be poor based of their race. When they are, they are typically treated a lot better by those are working in social services and therefore have more access to assistance. Stereotypes about poor minorities, specifically blacks (welfare queen, violent hoodlum, dead beat dad) have had a damaging effect.

I understand my argument is shaking, considering we are dealing with a hypothetical and I know I am biased being that I am black. However, I strongly believe that perception of the victims had a lot to do with the feds' inaction. All races were affected by Hurricane Katrina, and this included all classes. However, on our screens constantly were images of helpless, vulnerable black people, most of whom were poor. I can't help but think that perceptions of who they were as people contributed to lack of concern by those on top.

And this shit isn't limited to Katrina. Neglect of the poor and the demonization of minorities goes on everyday. Nothing will change because nothing has to change. The country works soundly with a permanent underclass so there is no reason for anybody to care.

by Anonymousreply 4208/29/2010

Yes, R34 what was the deal with all those schoolbuses left behind, millions of dollars wasted as they were ruined by the water, I'm sure it would have made a dent in the people that were left behind and suffered and died if they loaded every one of them up with people that had no transportation and got them out.%0D Win/win situation.

by Anonymousreply 4308/29/2010

I saw the good and the bad here in TX. I saw many evacuee's (sorry for the spelling?) excited about the jobs offered, and many who didn't want to work, just wanted the handouts. Both blacks and whites.%0D %0D Do you want to know who was most pissed off about the LA blacks in Texas not working?%0D The black Texans. They refer to them as the Katrina's. %0D %0D That's just my story.%0D %0D FYI, to anyone not from the South, LA had warned OVER AND OVER to prepare. DECADES of warnings. The rest of the states prepare to the best they can, then Feds come in. LA was lazy.%0D %0D This is not a black/white issue.

by Anonymousreply 4408/29/2010

R1 bullshit. The people of Iowa and North Dakota banded together to help each other try to fight off what flooding they could and continued to help each other throughout the cleanup. Iowa in particular felt they didn't get anywhere near the outside help and attention other places did. That's what happens when people don't sit around bitching and waiting for the government to rescue their stupid, lazy asses.

by Anonymousreply 4508/29/2010

Bravo R27. OP is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 4708/30/2010

[quote]Lemme guess, OP, you think it's an advantage to be black in this country don't you?

Yeah because hell, no black could ever get a free ride to the White house or something like that...

by Anonymousreply 4808/30/2010

I think a lot of government officials (from both parties) just had no idea there were people around who couldn't just hop a flight out of there

by Anonymousreply 4908/30/2010

It is too bad there are so many uninformed people acting like authorities on this issue.%0D 1. The estimates from the Hurricane Pam disaster drill and experience from other urban evacuations led the city officials to expect well over 100,000 people left in the city.%0D 2. There were not anywhere close to enough buses available in the immediate area to evacuate that many people.%0D 3. With the back-ups on the evacuation routes, buses tasked with taking people on contraflowed roads would have been able to make ONLY 1 trip. %0D 4. Governor Blanco delivered 68 buses from surrounding areas on Monday after the worst of the winds had slowed down to evacuate some people.%0D 5. She was told on that same day that FEMA would provide 500 air-conditioned buses to evacuate people. That is why Nagin and Blanco did not continue to assemble more school buses on Monday. %0D 6. Blanco DID commandeer, via executive order, hundreds of school buses from other Louisiana parishes on Wednesday and forced those parishes to provide the bus drivers that would normally be providing transportation to school children, when FEMA had not delivered the air conditioned buses. Those buses evacuated over 15,000 people on Wednesday and Thursday, until the Greyhound buses eventually arrived on Thursday.%0D 7. The Mayor has said that they had trouble finding enough drivers to drive the few city-owned buses, some with lifts for wheelchairs, that stopped at 10 locations around New Orleans and delivered people to the SuperDome, the shelter of last resort. There is no evidence that there was a surplus of drivers that Nagin failed to take advantage of.%0D is too bad there are so many uninformed people acting like authorities on this issue.%0D 1. The estimates from the Hurricane Pam disaster drill and experience from other urban evacuations led the city officials to expect well over 100,000 people left in the city.%0D 2. There were not anywhere close to enough buses available in the immediate area to evacuate that many people.%0D 3. With the back-ups on the evacuation routes, buses tasked with taking people on contraflowed roads would have been able to make ONLY 1 trip. %0D 4. Governor Blanco delivered 68 buses from surrounding areas on Monday after the worst of the winds had slowed down to evacuate some people.%0D 5. She was told on that same day that FEMA would provide 500 air-conditioned buses to evacuate people. That is why Nagin and Blanco did not continue to assemble more school buses on Monday. %0D 6. Blanco DID commandeer, via executive order, hundreds of school buses from other Louisiana parishes on Wednesday and forced those parishes to provide the bus drivers that would normally be providing transportation to school children, when FEMA had not delivered the air conditioned buses. Those buses evacuated over 15,000 people on Wednesday and Thursday, until the Greyhound buses eventually arrived on Thursday.%0D 7. The Mayor has said that they had trouble finding enough drivers to drive the few city-owned buses, some with lifts for wheelchairs, that stopped at 10 locations around New Orleans and delivered people to the SuperDome, the shelter of last resort. There is no evidence that there was a surplus of drivers that Nagin failed to take advantage of.%0D is too bad there are so many uninformed people acting like authorities on this issue.%0D 1. The estimates from the Hurricane Pam disaster drill and experience from other urban evacuations led the city officials to expect well over 100,000 people left in the city.%0D 2. There were not anywhere close to enough buses available in the immediate area to evacuate that many people.%0D 3. With the back-ups on the evacuation routes, buses tasked with taking people on contraflowed roads would have been able to make ONLY 1 trip. %0D 4. Governor Blanco delivered 68 buses from surrounding areas on Monday after the worst of the winds had slowed down to evacuate some people.%0D 5. She was told on that same day that FEMA would provide 500 air-conditioned buses to evacuate people. That is why Nagin and Blanco did not continue to assemble more school buses on Monday. %0D 6. Blanco DID commandeer, via executive order, hundreds of school buses from other Louisiana parishes on Wednesday and forced those parishes to provide the bus drivers that would normally be providing transportation to school children, when FEMA had not delivered the air conditioned buses. Those buses evacuated over 15,000 people on Wednesday and Thursday, until the Greyhound buses eventually arrived on Thursday.%0D 7. The Mayor has said that they had trouble finding enough drivers to drive the few city-owned buses, some with lifts for wheelchairs, that stopped at 10 locations around New Orleans and delivered people to the SuperDome, the shelter of last resort. There is no evidence that there was a surplus of drivers that Nagin failed to take advantage of.%0D is too bad there are so many uninformed people acting like authorities on this issue.%0D 1. The estimates from the Hurricane Pam disaster drill and experience from other urban evacuations led the city officials to expect well over 100,000 people left in the city.%0D 2. There were not anywhere close to enough buses available in the immediate area to evacuate that many people.%0D 3. With the back-ups on the evacuation routes, buses tasked with taking people on contraflowed roads would have been able to make ONLY 1 trip. %0D 4. Governor Blanco delivered 68 buses from surrounding areas on Monday after the worst of the winds had slowed down to evacuate some people.%0D 5. She was told on that same day that FEMA would provide 500 air-conditioned buses to evacuate people. That is why Nagin and Blanco did not continue to assemble more school buses on Monday. %0D 6. Blanco DID commandeer, via executive order, hundreds of school buses from other Louisiana parishes on Wednesday and forced those parishes to provide the bus drivers that would normally be providing transportation to school children, when FEMA had not delivered the air conditioned buses. Those buses evacuated over 15,000 people on Wednesday and Thursday, until the Greyhound buses eventually arrived on Thursday.%0D 7. The Mayor has said that they had trouble finding enough drivers to drive the few city-owned buses, some with lifts for wheelchairs, that stopped at 10 locations around New Orleans and delivered people to the SuperDome, the shelter of last resort. There is no evidence that there was a surplus of drivers that Nagin failed to take advantage of.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5008/30/2010

Only in this country can African-Americans never be allowed to take responsibility for themselves and their actions.

by Anonymousreply 5108/30/2010

No R30 I leave the pointy hoods to you. That is your forte, and a pointy hood fits nice and snugly on your head not mine.

R42, I had a time in my life in which I was in a major crisis. I had to go to social services for help. The county where I once lived in, their Social Service Department was very nice to me. I have a Hispanic last name, and they treated me well. And those who were black were treated well. However, if you weren't considered a%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D minority%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D they treated the person not as nicely. They thought that white people had some special perks. As a result, white people who are poor get neglected to a greater extent because there is these stereotypical beliefs that all white people have it better off. My sister was a big wheel in the Social Service Department for many years, and now she moved on to other things. She said this was not unusual, but a very common issue that was so deeply rooted. They were speaking to me in Spanish because they believed automatically just because of my last name I spoke Spanish. I said, I don%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t speak Spanish. I was born and raised in this country. In fact my last name is a Sephardic last name, which is a Spanish Jew. They looked at me like I was from another planet. I said, what the hell does my nationality or how I speak or skin color or whatever has to do with requesting a need for help? They still looked at me like I was nuts. They just didn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t get it.

We have Legal Aid in our county that used to help the elderly file bankruptcy who was poor or down and out or people that couldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t afford a lawyer because he or she was so broke that they couldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t afford a lawyer%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s fee for bankruptcy. Also, legal aid used to help with other legal matters for the poor people straight across. Even in divorce cases for those people who couldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t afford attorney%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s fees to file for divorce. Now, legal aid only handles issues dealing with illegals of all kinds or Latinos who feel mistreated by their landlords. That is it. The community that is poor as a whole, regardless who you are, are screwed. I think more and more this is an issue of the poor who are struggling getting by, and that extra help that used to be available is no longer accessible as much as it used to be. Things are becoming much more rough out there.

by Anonymousreply 5208/30/2010

There was no excuse, when a private flotilla of 300 boats appeared at the Jeff Parish line, for the National Guard and police to prevent entry into the city to help people. This was the major cause of deaths, and it was the result of racist security paranoia and a desire to empty the entire city out instead of letting people fight to save their things. There was this arrogant, nobody can live here for months or they will need humanitarian assistance themselves. Oh, and they didn't need it in Shreveport and the Astrodome? There was a definite hate and bias in the actions of the USG that led to the deaths of thousands.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5308/30/2010

12. Would the weakest people in the hospitals who died from lack of advanced medical care have survived 12 hour trips on non-airconditioned buses without basic medical machines or treatments? Of course not. How about those that failed to even leave their flooded neighborhoods? Well, they would not have gotten on the buses either - they were unwilling to leave their homes. So buses would not have saved them. And the weakest people at the SuperDome? Would they have been able to force their way to the front of the line once people realized that the number of buses was incapable of evacuating even a quarter of those left in the city? Remember, with all the buses, hundreds of them, that the Governor was able to amass, they still only got 15,000 people out. There were at least 60,000 at the Convention Center and the SuperDome, and about 100,000 or more in the city who did not evacuate. %0D %0D Getting 80% of a city's population to evacuate is a very high number. If a few poorly built flood walls had not collapsed, those 20% of people left in the city would have been okay IF they had gotten help from FEMA in a timely fashion. There were 360,000 meals ready to eat delivered to the SuperDome, and trucks full of water on Sunday and Monday. They had supplies for several days. FEMA should have been planning on a city flooded with toxic waters that needed to be evacuated as of Saturday. FEMA has told local emergency preparedness officials for years that they should be prepared to hang on by their fingertips for 48-72 hours until FEMA can provide significant help. That 2-3 day window of time, starting from Saturday, would have been over on Tuesday. But obviously FEMA was NOT there, in any great numbers, on Tuesday. The buses they promised Nagin and Blanco would be provided did not arrive until Thursday. They should have had those buses there before then. They should have planned on this need beginning on Saturday. In fact New Orleans was hit with a less powerful storm, and had much less wind damage than what FEMA should have been preparing for.%0D %0D These accusations of failure directed towards Nagin and his dealings with the buses appear to be an effort to deflect criticism from the Bush Administration. Nagin and Blanco were NOT perfect in the way they managed this disaster. There is plenty of blame for almost everyone involved. However, Nagin really does not deserve blame for not using the buses.%0D %0D 1. After the Hurricane Pam disaster drill, and after Hurricane Ivan the year before, and after reading about how the city's evacuation had problems before Hurricane Georges, the Mayor insisted upon the creation of a disaster plan that would be sent out to the residents of New Orleans. They were looking to recruit local churches to organize small groups that would help those without cars to evacuate, among many other initiatives. This plan that Nagin had initiated was almost complete when Hurricane Katrina hit. Governor Blanco and the state of Louisiana had created a plan that called for a phased evacuation of low-lying parishes first, allowing those people to get off the delta and past New Orleans before the Mayor of New Orleans would be allowed to call for the mandatory evacuation of the city. This protects thoses people who live in areas not protected by levees and floodwalls to get out in time, and not be stuck in dangerous areas by gridlocked highways out of New Orleans. This Statewide evacuation plan also called for contraflowing the three major evacuation routes out of town - something that Louisiana had NOT had in effect for previous storms. The Mayor could NOT cooperate with the Statewide evacuation plan and call for a mandatory evacuation of his city too early. The parishes south of New Orleans did not demand that their residents evacuate until Saturday morning or early afternoon, and so Mayor Nagin had to wait until Sunday to demand that New Orleanians leave. There was not time THEN to assemble people at gathering points, find bus drivers, extra police, crowd control and medical help and get map directions to those drivers to evacuation sites in safe areas. The best idea was to encourage everyone they could to leave, and to provide a safe place for those that would not or could not leave. Nagin did that. I am really sorry that so many people refuse to look at the facts and come away with reasonable conclusions about his actions regarding these facts.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5408/30/2010

verbose

by Anonymousreply 5508/30/2010

Please if anyone was to blame for the Katrina mess it's the people of New Orleans. It's not up to the federal government to bail people out;it's up to the state and local governments, along with the people.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5708/30/2010

I might agree with you, R57, except that the Army Corps of Engineers, which is supported by federal tax dollars, was responsible for maintaining the levee that broke. I've seen some documentaries that said the Corps was well aware the levee was weak and likely to rupture under stress. It was probably a budgetary issue, and the Corps decided it had more bigger fish to fry than NOLA.

When an agency of the U.S. government fails so miserably in its mission to protect citizens, it behooves the federal government to step in and clean up its own damn mess.

I don't believe there is any way to prove one way or the other that a poor white population would have fared as badly at the hands of the piss-poor emergency response.

What I saw were a lot of overpaid and incompetent white bureaucrats doing nothing but blowing smoke up our asses while a big bunch of people (who on my TV appeared to be nearly all black) were suffering.

When I pay my federal income taxes each year, I consider that part of that money should be going to pay for programs that protect people when they need it most. Of course I know the reality is that I'm mostly supporting the biggest welfare institution in the world, the U.S. military, but I keep hoping.

by Anonymousreply 5808/30/2010

Needs to be said. Poor black people can't afford children, so they need to stop having them. Anyone who is poor and not working should NEVER have children.

And that goes for everyone, no matter what color. Don't ask the government to give you money for your children. Pay for them yourself or don't have any.

by Anonymousreply 5908/30/2010

48% of Katrina deaths were African Americans and 41% were white. So it's really not about race, you miserable bunch of whiners.

by Anonymousreply 6008/30/2010

I have a modest proposal about just that problem, r59.

by Anonymousreply 6108/30/2010

What do you people have against paragraphs?

by Anonymousreply 6208/30/2010

[quote]There was another WHITE person in a wheel chair who died because she couldn't last any longer.

The famous pictures are of black women. One was outside the Superdome, another was found decomposing outside her house. The 2nd victim was named Ethel Freeman, but I don't know the name of the 1st.

I suppose you think there's no such thing as racism because you saw a picture with a dead white woman, and that's just really sad. Educate yourself a little.

by Anonymousreply 6308/30/2010

R63 you are a thick head who just doesn't get it. Again, many on this thread are not denying that there were many, many black people that died in Katrina. Any fool can see that, and it was horrifying. What many are pissed off about is some people claim the absurdity that the government turned their back on Katrina because there were mainly African Americans who perished, and if it were white people in the same situation, the government would have acted very swiftly. That is a load of crap because there were many, many white people who died as well.

So, if the government acts swiftly when white people are suffering, why didn't they let many white people in Katrina die in a horrible death? That argument is completely bogus and it is reverse racism.

by Anonymousreply 6408/30/2010

It was an issue of class AND race, OP.

by Anonymousreply 6508/30/2010

No drivers, r46.

by Anonymousreply 6608/30/2010

"However, on our screens constantly were images of helpless, vulnerable black people, most of whom were poor."

In the beginning, yes. But then the narrative changed and the media focus was on the "criminal and violent blacks, raping women and children and shooting at the police" storyline. They repeated rumors which were simply not true and managed to make the Katrina victims less sympathetic.

Black people looted, white people found stuff. Remember?

by Anonymousreply 6708/30/2010

[quote]When they tell you to leave, you leave!

hahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

omg. too funny. can you imagine the hysteria that would ensue if the government told some tea baggers "to leave?"

lol. they would probably start firing weapons. since they have the right to bear arms and all!

no guvmint's gonna tell [italic]them[/italic] what to do! no sir

by Anonymousreply 6808/30/2010

A- Spike Lee is an asshole.

B- Poverty and racial animus were obvious factors in the handling of Katrina's devastation and aftermath.

C-Spike Lee is a racist.

D- NOLA blacks are among our nation's poorest populations.

Conclusion: Even a racist asshole can comment accurately on the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 6908/30/2010

Thank you R47, R50 and R54. At least there is some reality-based thinking here.

OP, you and your fellow Cuyahoga Community College dropouts in this tread are predictable. Keep blaming the poor people who didn't have cars, couldn't afford/weren't able to evacuate, for being too poor or stupid, or deserving to die or see their homes swept away. Go right ahead.

Whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better after folding sweaters all day and saying "May I Help You?"

by Anonymousreply 7008/30/2010

Bump!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7102/19/2013

To make it clear, I am bumping this just to aggravate the asshole who keeps complaining about "ancient" threads being bumped.

by Anonymousreply 7202/19/2013

Why didn't the poor just book a flight out of town during the storm?

by Anonymousreply 7302/19/2013
Need more help? Click Here.