Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Your Nightmare City: Where and Why

What city in North America (your welcome, Canadian DLers) would you consider to be the worst possible place for you to have to live? Explain your choice.

by Anonymousreply 19405/21/2013

Camden, NJ. The reasons are obvious.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2010

NY - lived there seven years and felt alive again once I moved away. Crowded, noisy, dirty, smelly, expensive and full of superficial, soulless people.

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2010

Los Angeles. It's dirty, smoggy, filled with crime, high unemployment, high state debt, too many high residents, too many low residents. It's a scummy place with scummy peeps.

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2010

well, this thread should have just been called "Fatty Flyover Rage."%0D %0D Next.

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2010

Dallas would be in the Top 5, absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2010

Goodness. There are so many! But of the major cities, Dallas is also on my top-bad list: good art museum, otherwise visually boring and generally bland. Phoenix is awful as well.

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2010

R4, more likely the "New York is better than any other city" troll. All of the " worst" and "best" city threads are started by the New York troll.Only this time, he's disguising himself as a person with terrible grammar ( your).

by Anonymousreply 708/25/2010

Cue the Dallas-is-awful trolls. %0D %0D New arts center, new opera house, one of the better US symphony halls, great local and regional theater. "visually boring and generally bland"...ever been to LA?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 808/25/2010

What is Detroit?

by Anonymousreply 908/25/2010

what is Houston?

by Anonymousreply 1008/25/2010

LA. Stupid people, crime, immigrants, racism, traffic, expensive, no jobs, horrible layout.

by Anonymousreply 1108/25/2010

Barstow, CA. Our car broke down there during a road trip. It's a desert wasteland populated with paranoid people that will do everything and anything to rip you off.

by Anonymousreply 1208/25/2010

Unfortunately, my grammar slip-up was not part of some elaborate disguise. It was just me being a moron and compounding the situation by not proofreading.

Consider me suitably abashed, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1308/25/2010

Provincetown %0D %0D San Francisco%0D %0D Rehoboth Beach%0D %0D Chelsea, Castro, WEHO%0D %0D all gay ghettoes

by Anonymousreply 1408/25/2010

You need to make clearer rules OP. Can we live in the suburbs of said city? For example, I wouldn't like living IN Detroit or Cleveland, but their suburbs can be lovely and each area has some great cultural strengths.

Major metropolitan areas in which I would find little to no redeeming factors: Phoenix, Las Vegas, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, Nashville, Cincinnati, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Buffalo, and Salt Lake City.

by Anonymousreply 1508/25/2010

I was going to say Salt Lake City but I think Dallas would be worse. At least SLC has better weather. I've been to Dallas several times. I never want to go back. I'll probably have to though. My sister lives there.

by Anonymousreply 1608/25/2010

Oklahoma City, OK

Salt Lake City, UT

Fundie Christians or Mormons. Either way, a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 1708/25/2010

Atlanta -- traffic is horrible, crime is rising, the place has no charm, the people are fake, and once you leave the city limits you're in red neck hell. Besides relatively modest house prices, why people move there I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 1808/25/2010

You people know nothing. Stay away from anywhere in Arkansas, Utah, and West Virginia. Dallas and Houston will seem like paradise after those pits.

by Anonymousreply 1908/25/2010

I live about 40 minutes by train outside manhattan, I enjoy visiting, but I would never want to live there.

by Anonymousreply 2008/25/2010

Vegas. Everything about it is my nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 2108/25/2010

Most definitely Vegas.

by Anonymousreply 2208/25/2010

Anywhere in Mississippi or Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 2308/25/2010

Salt Lake City - too far from the ocean, a crazy cult religion in the majority, not enough cultural activities

by Anonymousreply 2408/25/2010

I'd go with (or rather without) Oklahoma City. %0D %0D Even neighboring Tulsa had a tiny bit of luster at one point, and has pockets of, if not civility, decent historic housing.%0D %0D Oklahoma City I associate with fundamentalism without the fun, Southern gothic without being Southern or gothic, the west without any of the strange beauty of the west... %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2508/25/2010

Houston God Damned Fucking Texas Forever and Fuck that Place, Amen.

by Anonymousreply 2708/25/2010

Oh Jesus, VEGAS. I just moved away from there after 8 years. EAT BLEACH, WHORES.

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2010

Indianapolis. A Hoosier cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2010

Amarillo TX, Oklahoma City, El Paso TX. I also don't think I could stand the gray skies of the rust belt.

by Anonymousreply 3008/25/2010

R25: You're right, Tulsa is a lot more liberal than Oklahoma City (comparatively.) %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3108/25/2010

I've lived in the worst parts of CA yet I agree with R12 - couldn't do Barstow.

by Anonymousreply 3208/25/2010

NYC%0D %0D not slamming it just could not handle being that packed into someplace or paying those prices for such small homes.%0D %0D Oh and I need trees and grass at my house not 20 blocks uptown.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3308/25/2010

[quote]You people know nothing. Stay away from anywhere in Arkansas, Utah, and West Virginia. Dallas and Houston will seem like paradise after those pits.

I'd rather live in Little Rock than Houston.

by Anonymousreply 3408/25/2010

Detroit sounds terrifying; like a city out of those Mad Max movies.

by Anonymousreply 3508/25/2010

I'm thinking Camden, NJ or something similar.

The American South has a lot of charm for me. I love the quaint towns, southern hospitality, beautiful geography, and rich heritage.

If I had to live in LA or NYC, I would surely make the best of it.

There's a peacefulness to the isolation of the midwest. Some of the towns are cute. It would be a simple life.

Vegas would be wretched for me. But somewhere like Camden would be worse...I imagine it being industrial and cold. And then one would have to deal with their people & culture...yuck.

by Anonymousreply 3608/25/2010

Detroit's fine, we just say that stuff to keep away the pretentious social snobs.

by Anonymousreply 3708/25/2010

Scranton, PA

by Anonymousreply 3808/25/2010

Miami, especially in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 3908/25/2010

LA, because until 20 years ago it was one vision of the future and how it was sucking the life out of humanity. Now of course 25 cities in China and India have soared way past it so LA now is a nightmare because it is irrelevant and nasty.

Detroit. If you've been there you know. Pick the Motown Museum up and move it to Las Vegas, split the art collection, and then let nature take its course.

Houston. If you've been there you know. The climate, the people, the pointlessness and lack of culture and chaos and did I mention the people?

by Anonymousreply 4008/25/2010

In the past I've said this about Nashville and Detroit and I ended up in both, so I have to be very careful about this choice or next thing you know.... In general I was most put off by El Paso because I just couldn't fathom how I would survive there, but then someone on datalounge posted a youtube video about some married (to a female) gay guy who died of drugs, and the filmmaker followed around all the guy's nearest and dearest in the bleakest environment I had ever seen in America. Somewhere in Broward County, Florida I think. It was so bleak because it was just overwhelming scenes of poverty, violence, and misery, just mile after mile after mile.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4108/25/2010

And St. Louis. No energy except the self-devouring kind. This is a town where the natives consider Chicago an upstart competitor that will fall flat and the natural order will be restored. Nearly everyone is alcoholic or comes from an alcoholic family, and/or is a depressed Catholic. Race issues have been a simmering stink for 250 years but it's expressed with passive-aggressive snubbing, vandalism, and coded language. If you fall in the street 10 people will tell you how you should have avoided falling but no one will call 911. The historic housing stock is tremendous - absolutely stunning and affordable - but suburbanites spurn the city and now park themselves 60 miles from the urban core because they're afraid of - uh - you know. Why is it a nightmare? Because I'm here owing to work and it looks like I'll be here a while.

by Anonymousreply 4208/25/2010

Is Atlanta an actual city? I thought it was just a large ring of exurban sprawl.

by Anonymousreply 4308/25/2010

New Orleans has to be #1. All I can think of is rot and decay and dead bodies floating in the water and rotting in abandoned houses. I seriously believe that Once you get past the French Quarter and a couple of habitable neighborhoods, the city is really gone. I would never go there again. It has the stench of death about it.%0D %0D Detroit has to be a close second. I lived in Suburban Detroit for 18 years. Horrible place. It is post apocalyptic scarey. Lots of vacant, ruined burned out residential AREAS (plural). Lots of abandoned rotting warehouses and factories. No decent shopping areas. The entire city is "ghetto" supermarkets with recycled meat and "update" dairy products. No real downtown area. Just a "pseudo-entertainment district."%0D %0D Gary, Indiana has to be a close 3rd. No need to describe it. Ugh!%0D %0D Anyway, those are my top three. I'm sure New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, Ohio, and the Dakotas have something to contribute to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4408/25/2010

[quote]the Dakotas have something to contribute to this thread%0D %0D The Dakotas would need to build a city to qualify for this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4508/25/2010

The worst town in America I've ever been in, hands down, is Aberdeen, WA. It is singularly without charm and the most depressing place in the US: you see instantly why the music of Nirvana was so depressing and why Kurt Cobain was such a miserable person.

The worst American city I've been in is Gary, IN. Other horrible American cities I've been to: Amarillo, TX; Midland-Odessa, TX; Fort Worth, TX; Detroit, MI; Sacramento, CA; Phoenix, AZ; Las Vegas, NV; Charlotte, NC

I should note there are a lot of places others of you have listed or that people would often list that I think have their charms: Oklahoma City, OK; Birmingham, AL; Duluth, MN; Syracuse, NY; Buffalo, NY

by Anonymousreply 4608/25/2010

[quote]The Dakotas would need to build a city to qualify for this thread.

Metropolitan population of Fargo, ND-Moorhead, MN: 200,102

Sioux Falls, SD: 187,093

Bismarck, ND: 106,286

All three are larger than either Barstow or Scranton, both posted already as choices for cities on this list.

by Anonymousreply 4708/25/2010

Winnipeg looks very grim. By down-sun, the streets are empty.... a little, cold ghost-town.

by Anonymousreply 4808/25/2010

CT has some pretty bad cities.

by Anonymousreply 4908/25/2010

Waco, Texas without a doubt. The most soulless, depressing shit-hole in the country.

It is hard to believe that the same species responsible for building Venice, Paris, Rome and Florence regressed so far that it created Waco.

by Anonymousreply 5008/25/2010

Washington DC. Because the people are all freaks.

by Anonymousreply 5108/25/2010

r48 - Syracuse, NY is completely void of charm/ Have you ever been there?

by Anonymousreply 5308/25/2010

Branson, Missouri

by Anonymousreply 5408/25/2010

What is wrong with Charlotte and Cincinnati?

by Anonymousreply 5508/25/2010

People from Washington DC are NOT freaks. We are very normal!

by Anonymousreply 5608/25/2010

[quote]Rehoboth Beach%0D %0D %0D %0D Why? I just visited there for the first time and saw Dave Grohl standing in line for ice cream. %0D %0D I'd like to hear your reason. I do have my suspicions as to why you would choose this place.

by Anonymousreply 5708/25/2010

Hey R47 - he/she meant that you only said "the Dakotas," you dorky hipster, rather than actual city names. Unclench the pearls, babe.

by Anonymousreply 5808/25/2010

Las Vegas tops the list

by Anonymousreply 5908/25/2010

Branson, Missouri

Fundamentalist Republican inbreds singing kuntry music. Is there any worse combination?

by Anonymousreply 6008/25/2010

So, pretty much every city is somebody's hellhole. That's what I've gathered.%0D %0D I have this terrible feeling that many of the cities upthread will cease to exist at all in the next 50 years. Just as the middle-man has become obsolete in the last twenty years, I think the middle-sized city will become obsolete as well. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6108/25/2010

Syracuse is not devoid of charm it is a bit of a shithole but the Armory area is quite fun, at least the countryside and Finger Lakes are beautiful So thank you R46 for considering the long suffering cities of Upstate NY. It's a lovely place.

by Anonymousreply 6208/25/2010

Well some of these cities will come back because they have access to water. A lot of these Western and Plains areas are going to be dried up shitholes.

by Anonymousreply 6308/25/2010

Derry, Maine.

by Anonymousreply 6408/26/2010

My two week stay in Phoenix was the worst time I've ever spent in an American city. People are unfriendly and rude; the town is hot as hell.

by Anonymousreply 6508/26/2010

St. Louis, MO. Everything you hate about the south without any of it's charm.

Any major Utah city because of the sterilizing, Stepford effect of Mormons (although I hear SLC has a lot of non-Mormons).

by Anonymousreply 6608/26/2010

Omaha, NE. Small-minded people, excruciatingly boring town. Living there is a life sentence.

by Anonymousreply 6708/26/2010

Orlando. Only interesting if you're into amusement parks.

Charlotte. Orlando without the amusement parks.

by Anonymousreply 6808/26/2010

Any cities that aren't:

NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago or New Orleans.

by Anonymousreply 6908/26/2010

My husband is on the market for academic jobs each fall so we may have to go wherever he can land a tenure-track teaching position. Last year the options were Memphis or Detroit. Talk about depressing, decrepit cities that time has forgotten. Luckily for me he didn't get either of those and we were able to stay put. Just today the first opening of the season has posted - in Waco, Texas. It's going to be a long fall.

by Anonymousreply 7008/26/2010

For me the worst would be places that aren't just awful but remote, so that even if you wanted to get away for a weekend it would be difficult. Places like Salt Lake, El Paso, Anchorage and Casper, Wyomming.

by Anonymousreply 7108/26/2010

Have any of you been to Augusta? It's the second-largest city in Georgia.

Humidity to make New Orleans seem temperate, fundamentalists everywhere, downtown as dead as Detroit, a sewage treatment plant at one end of town and a papermill at the other.

The sewage plant (open pools!) is right next to the airport, so you get the full sight and smell as soon as you arrive. The town really smells like God shit His pants.

It's even in the Urban Dictionary:

[quote]A miserable, boring ass medium sized city in Georgia. Also sometimess called Augusta. Perpetually stuck in 1972. Extremely ghetto for a city its size. Kind of like a little Southern Detroit with more white trash. A place so boring, that teenagers still cruise the parking lots of fast food restaurants. The air smells like farts. Has some of the ugliest and fattest women anywhere. A complete shit hole. Best avoided.

by Anonymousreply 7208/26/2010

Kansas City, MO. Cesspool. The whole city is dying. It's hot humid and miserable all summer, and is full of mosquitos, fleas, chiggers, - ugh.

by Anonymousreply 7308/26/2010

Who looks for tenure-track positions in August?

by Anonymousreply 7408/26/2010

Worcester, MA.

Went to college there. Couldn't leave fast enough. Their brochure said "Seven glorious hills, like Rome." Our brochure said "If the world ever needed an enema, they'd put it in through Worcester!"

by Anonymousreply 7508/26/2010

The LA hate is so odd here. Citing crime and smog as reasons to hate LA means you haven't been to LA in the last decade. Is it just NYCers that are saying they hate LA? Because I know when I lived there, NYCers HAD to hate LA. It was just part of that culture. That must be it.

by Anonymousreply 7608/26/2010

[quote]But somewhere like Camden would be worse...I imagine it being industrial and cold.

I don't think you have quite the right idea about Camden.

by Anonymousreply 7708/26/2010

Another vote for St. Louis.%0D %0D St. Louis City and St. Louis County are two, entirely separate political entities. People in the county have always trashed the city because of the huge amount of abandonment (as a percentage, St. Louis has lost far more of its population than any other American city) and urban blight (code for we hate the coloreds). Now, large swaths of north St. Louis county are blighted, the airport is vastly underused and 3/4 empty, and what were two of Missouri's largest shopping malls are now almost totally abandoned (Jamestown and Northwest Plaza). %0D %0D The amazing thing about St. Louis is the "let's stick our heads in the sand and pretend our problems don't exist" attitude and the "at least we aren't Detroit or Cleveland" complacency. Little do these yokels realize that both Detroit and Cleveland at least have functioning airports where you can get a direct flight to just about anyplace in the world.

by Anonymousreply 7808/26/2010

Camden lost most of its industry decades ago and now looks like this:

by Anonymousreply 7908/26/2010

Why did we come to Camden, Donald? Oh, God. This neighborhood's hideous. I'm scared rats are gonna come out and bite my new nylons.

by Anonymousreply 8008/26/2010

My heart said Scranton upthread, but my head says Camden or Gary are better answers. Gary is particularly insane.

by Anonymousreply 8108/26/2010

[quote]Who looks for tenure-track positions in August?

Political scientists, for one. Their national convention (where people get interviewed) is in late August-early September.

by Anonymousreply 8208/26/2010

Tampa fucking Florida.%0D %0D God fuckin awful. You can actally smell death there. The average age is 90. No shoping. No nightlife.%0D %0D The thickest section of the paper is the Obits. The Depends isle at the market always had a cart jam... q-tips driving on the freeway - going 30. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8308/26/2010

I don't know anyone who likes Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 8408/26/2010

I like Orlando, KC, & St. Louis.

The bungalows in downtown Orlando have character. The oak trees are quite beautiful. They have Lake Eola plus a few other nice lakes.

The Nelson Museum in KC is great for a mid-sized city. Shopping on the Plaza isn't as grand as it once was, sure, but the Art Institute & symphony stand the test of time.

I haven't spent as much time in STL, but the short times I was there were thoroughly enjoyable.

I guess it depends on what one is looking for in a city.

by Anonymousreply 8508/26/2010

It's charming that r11 is against both immigrants AND racism.

by Anonymousreply 8608/26/2010

I too would like to put a word in for Kansas City. It has some very beautiful residential neighborhoods, and some fine public buildings. Nothing could be worse than west Texas!

by Anonymousreply 8708/26/2010

I thought the same thing, R86. Do you suppose the poster thinks that because immigrants are actual people whereas racism is a concept, despising immigrants is not being racist?

by Anonymousreply 8808/26/2010

You know KC is not bad. It's a pretty cool mid-western city. Probably ranks behind Minneapolis for arts and culture, but I thought it would be dreadful and was pleasantly surprised.

by Anonymousreply 8908/26/2010

The one thing I will say for a lot of rust belt cities, which are pretty dumpy on the whole, is that they have infrastructure. Everything has been planned for the population for the most part and they have some character unlike a lot of the Sunbelt wastelands.

by Anonymousreply 9008/26/2010

I appreciate the poster who explained why St. Louis is his nightmare city. He actually lives there. I get the feeling that a lot of people haven't even been to some of the cities they're nominating. "Oklahoma City because it's in super-religious Oklahoma" doesn't tell us much. Anyone could come up with that reason, even if they had never been there. The specifics are much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9108/26/2010

I have been to Dallas many times for business and to visit friends over the years.

No, I have never lived there. I don't have to live there to form this opinion: it sucks, for all the reasons listed by various poster up thread.

Same as I don't need to move to Gary or Detroit to know they suck.

by Anonymousreply 9208/26/2010

After 7 years in LA I moved back to LV. LA ate me alive. LV is home to me.

by Anonymousreply 9308/26/2010

Centralia, PA is the worst city hands down. So bad everybody had to evacuate - tho there are a few that stayed behind.

by Anonymousreply 9408/26/2010

St. Louis is the largest city in the United States from which you cannot get a direct flight to Europe (or any other international destination, including Canada).%0D %0D Speaks volumes about the people and the economy of the place.

by Anonymousreply 9508/26/2010

Montreal. The people there are haughty and rude.

by Anonymousreply 9608/26/2010

I don't mean all immigrants. I mean the illegal immigrants in LA contributing to the gang and crime issues. I don't think that's racist.

by Anonymousreply 9708/26/2010

New York, Boston and Chicago incorporated their suburbs as they grew, thus keeping all tax revenue in the city. Detroit and L.A. didn't and got poorer and more decrepit as their suburbs got nicer and richer.

by Anonymousreply 9808/26/2010

LA is like a third world country. Many people defending LA can't even afford to live there properly. They're flyovers who feel like living in LA gives them a sense of self-worth. It's all they have at an attempt to feeling special. They live in crappy apartments, drive crappy cars, or worse, they finance or lease crappy cars, and don't have a dime in the bank. Probably late twenties-early thirties still thinking they're going to "make it" in the biz. A tragic species.

by Anonymousreply 9908/26/2010

R96, I've been to Montreal over a dozen times and have met one rude person. Something you're doing is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10008/26/2010

No nominations for cities in Mexico? It is in North America, too. (Too polite to add geographically challenged gringos.)

by Anonymousreply 10108/26/2010

I agree r99.

by Anonymousreply 10208/26/2010

Washington DC is like a third world country too.%0D %0D I wonder which is more third world - Los Angeles or Washington DC?%0D %0D After living in Washington DC for 5 years, I found it to be a cesspool.

by Anonymousreply 10308/26/2010

Oklahoma City by a mile.

The closed-minded fundies speak for themselves, but more to the point the City is a disaster. Everything looks dirty because of the red clay dust, and there's a total lack of zoning, so you see a strip club next to a bodyshop next to a church, and you spend your life behind an endless collection of pickup trucks with trashy ignorant bumper stickers.

by Anonymousreply 10408/26/2010

Defensive much, R100? Get back to us when you're less of a solipsist.

by Anonymousreply 10508/26/2010

I'd like to nominate Kentucky as a whole state, since every city I lived in there over the course of 20 years was an absolute hell hole. The weather is awful and so are the people. Never in my life have I been to a place more full of ignorant, racist, homophobic people in my life. I went to school with people who proudly flew confederate flags, hung nooses from the trees in their front yard and my bus driver was proudly married to her first cousin. Sadly, I'm not making this up. They also still hold KKK meetings in Louisville near city hall from what I hear. That place can implode and fall into the center of the earth for all I care.

by Anonymousreply 10608/26/2010

My father's side of the family moved from Italy to Camden in the 1910s.%0D %0D Once when I was a kid, we visted the remaining relatives who didn't move up to northern NJ, and I found the city to be a creepy, desolate place. And that was back in the 1960s.%0D %0D I haven't been to the area since, but the visit left an indelible mark on me.

by Anonymousreply 10708/26/2010

R70, Memphis is definitely preferable to Detroit. It's actually quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 10808/26/2010

So what do DLers think of the following cities:

Columbus, Ohio

Louisville, Kentucky

by Anonymousreply 10908/26/2010

R109: Louisville has an amazing stock of historic houses.

by Anonymousreply 11008/26/2010

R109 I lived in Louisville for several years. Do. Not. Do. It. They do have several nice historic houses as R110 mentions, but nothing breathtaking... just a bunch of hundred year old houses crammed together (not the sprawling mansions of the real south).

There's no nightlife there, it's not gay friendly, not culturally diverse, very little to do in general. I know quite a few people who still live there (old high school classmates) and the ones who love it are the repug fraus who shop at Walmart that everyone loves to hate.

The only thing that city has "goin on" for it is the derby. The residents get all worked up and excited over the one day a year some celebrities come to their town. It's quite a joke.

by Anonymousreply 11108/27/2010

Disgusta (aka Augusta, GA) is a God-forsaken hell hole full of christian fundamentalists. In that shit hole, they are still trying to convert Catholics and still write letters to the editor in the local paper about "The War of Southern Independence/Northern Aggression", as they call it, that you'd still think it was 1865.. well by the looks if the town, you'd think it still was. Everyone is fat, and is missing half their teeth. Lots of mean drugs, ghetto thugs, and just human debris in all forms.

by Anonymousreply 11203/13/2011

How many of these per week are there going to be?

by Anonymousreply 11303/13/2011

Atlanta - worse than Detroit

by Anonymousreply 11403/13/2011

New York City...if Datalounge represents the NYC gay attitude, I'd rather live in Buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 11503/13/2011

Anywhere in Utah. Basically a theocracy right here in America. Pain in the ass to buy alcohol and unless you are Mormon you will not succeed well in business. They only care for their own.

by Anonymousreply 11603/14/2011

Houston. I just can't take the heat and humidity, it's like nothing I ever experienced before. It makes me very ill and dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 11703/14/2011

R117 I live in Houston and, yes, the summers are horrible but the last time I went to New Orleans I almost passed out in the street from their heat and humidity. Worse than Houston if you can believe it.

by Anonymousreply 11803/14/2011

Las FUCKIN Vegas -a wasteland of stucco homes! Every resident wants to be a bartender, valet, or cocktail waitress instead of going to college. No matter what locals say, everything does revolve around the strip.

by Anonymousreply 11903/14/2011

R118, I should have added I've only been to Houston during the summer. I should visit another time; I have friends there. Yes, NO is another place that I can't visit May-Sept.

by Anonymousreply 12003/14/2011

In Canada, anywhere between Calgary and Winnipeg. Including Calgary and Winnipeg.

by Anonymousreply 12103/14/2011

Indianapolis, for me. I stayed for a round of interviews that ended up feeling very much like a vertical marketing opportunity.

The whole city felt like a dying office park. I've lived in much poorer areas and nothing was as soul crushing as Indianapolis.

by Anonymousreply 12203/14/2011

New York City. Too many people, too congested with cars and buildings and attitude.

by Anonymousreply 12303/14/2011

This place.

by Anonymousreply 12403/14/2011

Agree with several others in this thread:%0D %0D NYC is tops, with LA being second. Chicago and Atlanta not far behind. Then pretty much any northern ice-bound city, like Fargo or Buffalo.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12503/14/2011

Augusta, GA. Or as I call it Disgusta. Wonder why CBS never shows you what's outside the Augusta National golf course during their Master's coverage? A tsunami would probably make improvements to the city. Much of it needs to be pressure washed or bull dozed. The downtown looks like some creepy backlot for a zombie horror film. Never have I seen so many Waffle Houses crammed into one place. Maybe that's why the people are so fat. Georgia should give the city to South carolina as a gag gift, but even SC wouldn't want it. People are uneducated (can barely speak recognizable English.. I can understand the characters in Trainspotting better). One of the most intolerant populations I have ever encountered. Truly a miserable place.

by Anonymousreply 12603/17/2011

Hands down - Chicago, IL. One of the absolute worst cities in the world.

Perhaps Emmanuel can change things but he seems to be in the Daly mold.

There's even several websites devoted to how horrible Chicago is.

The only ones who like are those who have never been out of the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 12703/17/2011

Definitely Disgusta, Georgia. I was there for all of 4 hours and that was WAY too long. The smell of the place makes you want to vomit. Paper Mill, Sewage, and lord knows what else stinks up the whole town. Plus, there was just nothing there worth seeing.

by Anonymousreply 12803/17/2011

No Name City

by Anonymousreply 12903/17/2011

Memphis, TN

Memphis has some of the highest crime rankings in the nation. It also has one of the highest unemployment rates in the nation.

Their school system is one of the worse in the nation and is about to be taken over by the state. It has an almost billion dollar budget and yet most of the schoolchildren haven't so much as books.

I just could never live there at all.

by Anonymousreply 13003/17/2011

Chicago rocks! People who "hate" it are not happy ANYWHERE.

by Anonymousreply 13103/17/2011

Thank god for r127! I was so worried that the 'anti-Chicago troll' had left us!

P.S. I used to love to hate all your old threads. Come back!

by Anonymousreply 13203/17/2011

I like Chicago. It's a great city. Food is fantastic. people are kinda fat but that's ok. Now I also agree with the Augusta, GA nomination. I was stationed there years ago when I was in the army. Total shit hole. Not much else to say about it other than I am glad I don't live there.

by Anonymousreply 13303/17/2011

Why are Chicagoans fat but New Yorkers are thin?

by Anonymousreply 13403/17/2011

r134 Rents are so high, they can't afford to eat.

by Anonymousreply 13503/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 13603/17/2011

Las Vegas. terrible place to live.

by Anonymousreply 13703/17/2011

Agree with Aberdeen, WA. Yes, it's a town and not a city but incredibly bleak, gray and depressing.

I like LA, but downtown is depressing because it looks like it was quite beautiful at one time.

by Anonymousreply 13803/17/2011

Crawford, TX.%0D Don't want psychopathic war criminals for neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 13903/17/2011

Decatur, IL.%0D %0D There is a nice old restored movie house downtown and the people try so hard to make it not horrible, but it's just... ugh.%0D %0D First of all, there's the cat urine smell from the agribusiness plants that permeates everything and makes it so you can't even enjoy their one nice bit of nature on the lake because you're downwind from it. And these plants are so secretive and corrupt they made a movie about one of them (ADM) and their price fixing scandal with "The Informant!".%0D %0D There's the endless parade of abandoned factories that have left thanks to our post-NAFTA economy and tied to that an endless parade of abandoned homes like a mini-Detroit where at least 20,000 people in what was a 100,000+ person city have left in the last 20 years or so.%0D %0D There's no direct train to Chicago and no large university (just one private religious college) around to ensure its residents have access to any sort of culture or intellectual basis.%0D %0D The people there are so earnest about trying to sell themselves on a comeback that they come up with things like the slogan "Decatur... we like it here!" and at the same time the anti-violence folks have to put up billboards on the main drag through town reminding folks not to shoot each other.%0D %0D That said... the one good thing about the place is that it's so isolated that it does seem a place where small business has a better chance of thriving because few of the big chain stores bother to set up shop there in what they see as a dying market.

by Anonymousreply 14003/17/2011

Riverside, CA is another shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 14103/17/2011

Is there a cold version of Los Angeles somewhere? There.

by Anonymousreply 14203/17/2011

Oh. My. God. R140, you are spot on.

I moved here a couple of years ago and soon came to the realization that I simply cannot spend the rest of my life here. Ugh.

I've never witnessed so many people comfortable in their ignorance.

I'm outta here in five years.

by Anonymousreply 14303/17/2011

Atlanta, GA: Camden, NJ -By-The-Chattahoochee River

by Anonymousreply 14403/17/2011

r144 = too racist to get by in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 14503/17/2011

why five years r143?%0D %0D I landed there out of college because I didn't want to leave the state but man... it was just so soul-crushing I had to get out after about 3 years on the dot.%0D %0D I'm in Chicago now though... so I guess I'm just living someone else's nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 14603/17/2011

R147, you don't know who any dataloungers are. The person who started that thread could well by a paid republican operative stirring up the minorities against each other. For that matter, you might be one too. In fact, you are almost certainly just that.

by Anonymousreply 14803/17/2011

Lol. I moved here from Chicago, R146. I did it for career and familial reasons; everything should be in place in five years.

by Anonymousreply 14903/17/2011

I think I found the nightmare city (cities?) for most DL'ers. In Shreveport, LA their favorite restaurant is Olive Garden and favorite store is Sam's Club.

Page through the other cities to see some other gems like Applebees and Wal Mart!

by Anonymousreply 15003/17/2011

Miami Florida. Ugh - unbearable in the summer and I don't know the language.

by Anonymousreply 15103/17/2011

Then you shouldn't have moved there, LeBron.

by Anonymousreply 15203/17/2011

by Anonymousreply 15305/30/2011

Saskatoon. Minot, ND. Rockville, IL. Indianapolis. El Paso (as noted upthread). Monroe, LA. Anywhere in Arkansas or Missouri. Fresno.

by Anonymousreply 15405/30/2011

Palm Springs - not because the gays are old, but because they are are still walking around in lycra YMLA shirts and chewing on glow sticks

by Anonymousreply 15505/30/2011

Thunder Bay - Canada. I was considering a job there - fuck no.

by Anonymousreply 15605/30/2011

Dallas = nastiest bitches to ever to don Prada

by Anonymousreply 15705/30/2011

Any flyover city, really.

by Anonymousreply 15805/30/2011

Phoenix. Talk about your hell hole heat, corrupt and toxic politics and paranoia, Vegas has nothing on the Valley of the Sun.

And now...with extra SARAH!

by Anonymousreply 15905/30/2011

The Cleve.

The only normal guy I've ever dated and his hot wife live there.

by Anonymousreply 16005/30/2011

Manchester, NH.

Not a major city but it is where all the do-do birds from small town New Hampshire go to live "in the big city"

Ugly, boring, devoid of any charm or history, simply a non entity like the entire state of New Hampshire.

by Anonymousreply 16105/30/2011

In Canada............

1. Burlington, Ontario: Home of Canada's Christian Broadcasting Network who broadcast the the anti-gay show "100 Huntley Street" and The Michael Coren Show, a long time anti-gay TV personality.

2. London, Ontario: Where anti-gay Mayor Diane Haskall refused to allow Gay Pride and instructed her Police Chief (Julian Fantino) to focus his efforts on harassing Gay men in the area, as a way to turn them away from the city.

3. Surrey, BC: The City Council has a long history of anti-gay initiatives, in the last 10 years, including removing all Gay books from the public Libraries, prohibiting Gay teachers from being hired and banning the rainbow flags from being shown in windows downtown. Several citizens this year complained to the city council that Gays are deviant and should not be allowed "special rights". It is the current hub of anti-gay Canada.

4. Truro, Nova Scotia: The Major refused to allow a Gay Pride ceremony in a city park in 2007. He said it would be like flying a flag for Pedophiles.

by Anonymousreply 16205/30/2011

Salt Lake Shitty, UT wins.

by Anonymousreply 16305/30/2011

DC and NYC do not belong on this list.

I do agree with Rehoboth Beach: a ghetto that charges $700 psf.

disgusting since it's A- trash (since they don't realize they're trash).

And Miami, also, does not belong on this list. For South Beach alone.

by Anonymousreply 16405/30/2011

Galveston, TX

by Anonymousreply 16505/30/2011

Tallahassee, FL%0D %0D %0D Lived there for 6 years for a job. It's very close to what I would imagine hell would be. Horrid weather at least 90+ degrees with 90% humididty April thru November, no culture, no intelligence, people who are ugly thru and thru. Only good thing was the food.

by Anonymousreply 16605/30/2011

Any city in the desert (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Salt Lake), the Great Plains (Omaha, OKC, Wichita), or Deep South excluding Atlanta and maybe New Orleans. Also, those crazy cities in the California interior.

by Anonymousreply 16705/30/2011

Ciudad Juarez

by Anonymousreply 16805/30/2011

[quote]New York, Boston and Chicago incorporated their suburbs as they grew, thus keeping all tax revenue in the city. Detroit and L.A. didn't and got poorer and more decrepit as their suburbs got nicer and richer.

Does your brain touch the top of your spinal cord? Los Angeles is infamous for ruthlessly annexing the San Fernando valley suburbs. Seriously, have you not seen "Chinatown"?

Additionally, Boston DID NOT succeed in incorporating it's wealthy suburbs into the city - that's why it's only about forty square miles, smaller than the Walt Disney World resort. Boston is TINY!

by Anonymousreply 16905/30/2011

Downtown Los Angeles hands down. It's like the Camden NJ of the west R1.

by Anonymousreply 17005/30/2011

Anywhere from Oklahoma to Florida because it's extremely violent towards gays.

by Anonymousreply 17105/30/2011

Um R162 get with this millennium.

by Anonymousreply 17205/30/2011

r170 what a curious post. Most Angelenos would say East L.A. or Compton. Downtown L.A.? Really? It's just your typical downtown. It's quite clean. The only thing I hate about downtown is there's absolutely no free parking anymore.

by Anonymousreply 17305/30/2011

Baker, California. The zombie apocolypse starts there.

by Anonymousreply 17405/30/2011

Damn, 174 posts and no one has mentioned the boring and bland city that is Pittsburgh!

by Anonymousreply 17505/30/2011

Olivehurst, Ca, just north of Sacramento. Meth and wellfare trash capital of California.

by Anonymousreply 17605/30/2011

Denver. It's filled with people who couldn't/can't make it in a real city. And it shows.

by Anonymousreply 17705/30/2011

LA. Feel like everything and everyone there is fake and willing to stab you in the back to get ahead.

I'll take New York, where at least people have the dignity to punch you in the face.

by Anonymousreply 17805/30/2011

R173, I've never been to Compton or East LA. I lived very briefly in downtown LA - it's good for 2 square blocks and no more. The rest of it is very seedy, I left asap for a better area.

Sorry, I find nothing desirable about downtown LA. It's also not your typical downtown (in relation to other cities). It's like a 3rd world country in downtown LA.

by Anonymousreply 17905/31/2011

then I can only assume that you've never lived in a third world country, r170/r179.

by Anonymousreply 18005/31/2011

I have not R180, but I've been to Tijuana at the border - and the resemblance to downtown LA is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 18105/31/2011

Toronto, aka "Calcutta North"

by Anonymousreply 18305/31/2011

R179 you're far too kind.I live in one of the beach cities not far from L.A. L.A. is like a malignant collection of useless 3rd world suburbs forming the world's ugliest refugee camp.

by Anonymousreply 18405/31/2011

the whole damn I.E. .... in fact most southern California .... the I.E. is full of failed businesses, ghetto high-lifers ... and my all time favorite .... tweekers....and they are EVERYWHERE.... I have lived in many states and areas... yeah Atlanta has crappy traffic but just outside of the city there are nice areas... l.a. will never be what it once was ...Seattle is overall nice if you can deal with the constant marine layer.... Vegas depends on your own self discipline ...Tampa...ughh... not the best... better love humidity ... but every place I've been looks like a little slice of heaven compared to the giant toilet I.E. ...... Riverside San bernardino ...hemet ..throw the high desert in there too......I think the earth forgot to flush its toilet.

by Anonymousreply 18506/08/2011

I think Phoenix would be a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 18606/08/2011

I second Augusta (aka Disgusta), GA. It is hot and sticky shit hole supreme. Crappy restaurants, Dead downtown, corrupt government, and ugly fat intolerant people. People are so fat there are actually fights over who gets to use the scooters in the Wal-marts. It's a one mall town too. Trash is everywhere. Most violent city I have ever lived in. Nasty, Nasty, Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 18705/21/2013

Moore Oklahoma, duh.

by Anonymousreply 18805/21/2013

I love R150, !51 and 164. This thread has me laughing.

Phoenix Vegas Orlando OK City Waco

All horrid places.

by Anonymousreply 18905/21/2013

My ex (a Brit) had these two books about horrible towns in England.

We need this for America.

by Anonymousreply 19005/21/2013

R104 must be experiencing a bout of schadenfreude today.

by Anonymousreply 19105/21/2013

We should have qualifiers here. Obviously none of us would move to Camden, NJ. Even if you worked for Campbells Soup or whatever, you would live in Philly or someplace else. I also have never met anyone who had to move to Centralia, PA. C'mon, the coal mines aren't recruiting these days.

by Anonymousreply 19205/21/2013

L.A. All that smog, traffic, heat, sunshine and faux-tropical desert. And the huge chasm between the Haves and the Havenots. Ugly.

by Anonymousreply 19305/21/2013

Orlando has to be a contender.

by Anonymousreply 19405/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!