Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Most Inflammatory Remarks Made By Camilla Paglia

Name a few!

by Has-beenreply 1805/09/2014

That should be "Camille".

Sorry.

by Has-beenreply 108/25/2010

What is it that has so many OPs screwing up the title of their threads? Some days it's like an epidemic.

by Has-beenreply 208/25/2010

Open purse on a park bench.

by Has-beenreply 308/25/2010

That woman is nuts!

by Has-beenreply 408/25/2010

[bold]The Most Inflammatory Remarks Made By Camilla Paglia[/bold]%0D %0D %0D ...Her fawning over [italic]The Greatness that Sarah Palin[/italic]. For a woman in her 60s, regardless of sexual identity, it's beyond sad or pathetic. It's comtemptible.

by Has-beenreply 508/25/2010

[bold]By the way:[/bold] I've questioned whether Camille Paglia was actually writing those [italic]Salon[/italic] columns. When it was announced she was taking a break, I thought, "Make it a [italic]permanent[/italic] 'break'!"

by Has-beenreply 608/25/2010

How's this for inflamatory (and stupid):

"Homosexuality is not normal. On the contrary it is a challenge to the norm...Nature exists whether academics like it or not. And in nature, procreation is the single relentless rule. That is the norm...Our sexual bodies were designed for reproduction...No one is born gay. The idea is ridiculous...homosexuality is an adaptation, not an inborn trait.

Is the gay identity so fragile that it cannot bear the thought that some people may not wish to be gay? Sexuality is highly fluid, and reversals are theoretically possible. However, habit is refractory, once sensory pathways have been blazed and deepened by repetition-a phenomenon obvious with obesity, smoking, alcoholism or drug addiction--helping gays to learn how to function heterosexually, if they wish is a perfectly worthy aim. We should be honest enough to consider whether or not homosexuality may not indeed, be a pausing at the prepubescent stage where children band together by gender....Current gay cant insists that homosexuality is not a choice; that no one would choose to be gay in a homophobic society. But there is an element of choice in all behavior, sexual or otherwise. It takes an effort to deal with the opposite sex; it is safer with your own kind. The issue is one of challenge versus comfort."

Camille Paglia, Vamps and Tramps, (New York: Vintage Books, 1994)

You're most likely to find the above quote on homophobic Christian sites, nice going Paglia.

Paglia also said something about how gay men became gay due to rejection from their fathers, or something like that, but I'm still looking for that quote.

by Has-beenreply 708/25/2010

Wait till you get a load of this homophobic crap, and on Salon.com too, where she still is permitted to write!:

"No one is born gay. The mere idea that that is possible is a flimsy fabrication of sloppy journalists and amoral queer activists. Any person, male or female, who cannot feel the sexual allure of the opposite sex has been traumatized by some early combination of social circumstances.

I have seen again and again how a sensitive young boy, rejected by a brutal or distant father, makes a secret pact with his mother, who bonds to her son as a blissful, emotional haven from her rigid or uncommunicative husband. Such boys may end up idolizing their mothers yet feeling strangled and suffocated by her unflagging attentiveness and neediness. Adult men who avoid women as sexual partners have a subliminal fear of entrapment, physical and psychological. Throughout my work, I have argued that gay men's agonizing struggle with universal female power has led to enormous artistic achievements that have defined civilization.

Since I don't know you personally, I can't begin to suggest a diagram of how you came to be gay. But I think that every gay man, as he seeks sexual contact, is somehow questing for the masculine, from which he feels he has been unjustly excluded. In male homosexuality, the penis -- pursued, flattered, stroked, seized, vanquished, then abandoned -- is the beckoning but forbidding totem of an atavistic cult of ancestors, a lost world of heroic men."

Offsite Link
by Has-beenreply 808/25/2010

The idiot is also apparently a global-warming denier. Well anything to be a contrarian, right Camille? Contrariness has been berry, berry good to Paglia. Pays the rental on her humble flat and helps her at the automat.

Scroll down a little more than halfway at the link if you want to read her retarded diatribe on global warming. Too long and stupid to reprint her.

Offsite Link
by Has-beenreply 908/25/2010

Paglia is motivated in the same way as an internet troll. If she wrote about ideas in a civil and rational manner, there is no one who would care to read her. There is no market for a writer who is an acolyte of Harold Bloom, nothing more or nothing less.

So, like a troll, she is forced to be incendiary in order to get people to pay attention to her. She's similar to Ann Coulter, except while Coulter imagines herself to be humorous, Paglia imagines herself to be an intellectual.

She, like Coulter, then profits from the fact that there are suckers born every minute.

by Has-beenreply 1008/25/2010

I've been wondering why, as an Italian-American and an Authority on All Such Things, she hasn't seized the opportunity to hold forth on [italic]Jersey Shore.[/italic] Something tells me she thinks it's the single greatest achievement of postmodern culture or some shit.

by Has-beenreply 1108/25/2010

"Anna Nicole Smith has died!"

by Has-beenreply 1208/25/2010

r12, you forgot the whole quote she delivered to the worker in the Philadelphia Popeye's drive-thru:

"Anna Nicole Smith has died! Quick, tell everyone!"

by Has-beenreply 1308/25/2010

R13, that was great. Camille Paglia at a Popeye's. What if she waited on by non-whites? And she's telling them about Anna Nicole Smith.

by Has-beenreply 1408/25/2010

I remember she called Urvashi Vaid a dog in a rant about how queer activists were unattractive physically. Completely inadvertantly using the word most frequently used by British imperialists to describe Indian people, I'm sure. Totally coincidentally.

by Has-beenreply 1508/25/2010

Didn't Paglia devote an entire chapter in one of her books to the idea that Elizabeth Taylor was the best actress in the history of cinema, and making a point of trashing Meryl Streep in the process.

Her dismissal of Streep as an actor seemed to be entirely on the basis that Streep wasn't an ultra-femme sex kitten with brown hair (ie. the type of chick Paglia wants to fuck).

by Has-beenreply 1608/25/2010

My all-time favorite comment she ever made may be when she said that Jodie Foster would have been so much smarter to have gone to a small arts college in a large metropolitan area on the Eastern seaboard (presumably the one Paglia teaches at in Philadelphia, though she wouldn't admit it) than to Yale!

I also like when she said that Coleridge's "Kubla Khan" was all about female ejaculation.

by Has-beenreply 1708/25/2010

The comments are funny. They all decry Camille for being opinionated in one manner and then merely expose themselves as being opinionated. No facts, merely opinion with a closed mind, exactly what they claim those with opinions different than themselves are. Sad state of affairs this world has come to.

by Has-beenreply 1805/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!