Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Annals of Terrible TV Performances

Name an actor on a popular or acclaimed TV series whom you think was guilty of really bad acting.

I'd offer David Schwimmer on "Friends." Not so much a performance as a collection of tics, hangdog expressions and occasional bursts of mania ("WE WERE ON A BREAAAAAAAK!"). It was never a good performance but it grew increasingly wretched in the last season or two of the show, where the Ross character increasingly seemed like a borderline psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 20112/03/2013

Neve Campbell and. her. halting way. of. talking.

by Anonymousreply 108/24/2010

Julianne Moore was bloody awful on 30 Rock last year.

by Anonymousreply 208/24/2010

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2010

And what ugly looking hangdog expressions he gave, OP. He was unbearably annoying.

by Anonymousreply 408/24/2010

Jerry Seinfeld. On.every.single.episode.

by Anonymousreply 508/24/2010

I agree with Seinfeld. Also the annoying voiced sidekick lady on Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 608/24/2010

Kyra Sedgwick on The Closer. It's a bad southern accent, similar to Heath Ledger's bad cowboy voice. Stupid hollywood nonsense that is embarrassing to watch.

by Anonymousreply 808/24/2010

Jack Coleman on Dynasty. I was but a wee lad, but I knew horrid acting when I saw it. Made Joan Collins look like Streep herself.

by Anonymousreply 908/24/2010

Lauren Bacall was over the top in the TV version of APPLAUSE. She was wonderful when she created the role on Broadway and won the Tony. On the small screen, she was just too much. The director needed to reel her in.

by Anonymousreply 1008/24/2010

But David Schwimmer was/is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1108/24/2010

DL favorite Bonnie Franklin owns this thread. Probably the worst long-running series actress EVER.

by Anonymousreply 1208/24/2010

Everyone on "Welcome Back Kotter" sucked. Gabe Kaplan was smirking at his own jokes the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 1308/24/2010

The two leads on Law and Order SVU. I know they're favorite topics here but honestly I have never seen them give a decent performance on that show between them. She huffs and puffs and squints and tries to act like one of the guys - unconvincingly - and then sweet-talks a kid or rape victim. Then she uses the word "balls" with a sophomoric sneer in a scene with a rapist.

He swaggers and tries to pretend like he gives a shit about anyone else on the screen with him, which he doesn't. His tics and facial expressions number precisely three, and one of them is a smile that you see every fifth show, so you can guess what the other two are.

It doesn't help that the scripts have always been absolutely terrible, 100% of the time, year in and year out. And the hand-wringing intensity of the direction - eek. But those two are so bad the show never had a chance. It stays on because people like to see stories about sex crimes.

by Anonymousreply 1408/24/2010

[quote]It doesn't help that the scripts have always been absolutely terrible, 100% of the time

Agreed. So over the top, ham fisted, and preachy. And incredibly boring.

by Anonymousreply 1508/24/2010

David Schwimmer isn't/wasn't hot in the slightest.

by Anonymousreply 1608/24/2010

The kid who played DJ on Roseanne was semiretarded.

Malcolm's Muniz sucked. I don't understand the quasi-deaf voiced delivery that passed for his exasperation.

Mush-mouthed Rohme on Law & Order. (Whereas I loved Angie Harmon, that foxy dyke.)

by Anonymousreply 1708/24/2010

r12, I'll see your Bonnie Franklin and raise you "Murphy Brown" herself, Candice Bergin. Just awful.

Currently, I love "Modern Family" but the little chubby Hispanic kid is very consciously "acting."

by Anonymousreply 1808/24/2010

R17, I was going to post about DJ from Roseanne(Michael Fishman), too. He was terrible. It became more of a problem in the show's later years, he was so awkward.

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2010

Candice Bergen seems like the stereotypical humorless lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2010

Seems?

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2010

Bergen wasn't nearly as bad as Franklin, who I have to fully agree with R12. I remember someone saying that she even overacted doing something as simple as answering the door!

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2010

Okay, I guess you got me there.

Murphy Brown was one of the most boring TV shows of all time. I cannot imagine any person enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2010

Irene Ryan, Nancy Kulp, and Donna Douglas

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2010

Surprise Annal!

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2010

"I'd offer David Schwimmer on "Friends." Not so much a performance as a collection of tics, hangdog expressions and occasional bursts of mania ("WE WERE ON A BREAAAAAAAK!"). It was never a good performance but it grew increasingly wretched in the last season or two of the show, where the Ross character increasingly seemed like a borderline psychopath."

Why do you think they introduced the monkey?

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2010

None of you ever watched The Love Boat? Lauren Tewes as Cruise Director Julie McCoy

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2010

I thought Irene Ryan (Granny) was brilliant on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES. Nancy Kulp and Donna Dixon played their parts well, too.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2010

Tiffany Brissette in SMALL WONDER gives not only the worst, but most ANNOYING performance in the annals of TV performances.

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2010

Linda Lavin

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2010

Nobody. Has mentioned. Horatio Caine?

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2010

Yeah, don't diss Granny and Miss Jane, especially.%0D %0D I offer Laura Prepon(?), who played Donna on "That Seventies Show."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2010

David Mendenhall, as the Webber kid, on the mid-1980s "General Hospital." Sylvester Stallone cast him in one of his late-1980s movies, "Over the Top" (I think), and he just didn't have discipline and was very annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2010

Oooh I forgot to add Tori Spelling to my list of bad Donnas.

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2010

"I was but a wee lad, but I knew horrid acting when I saw it. "%0D %0D Oh, but you are so very special.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2010

Any kid with a bowl or dutch boy haircut, esp. if the child was brought in later in the series...

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2010

How can no one have mentioned me yet? Or me?

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2010

I've always thought Gavin MacLeod was a weak link on The Mary Tyler Moore show.

by Anonymousreply 3808/25/2010

"Why do you think they introduced the monkey?"

The monkey (Marcellus, I think his name was) was only in the first season R26.

by Anonymousreply 3908/25/2010

I am enjoying watching the dvds of "The Waltons" that I bought. Judy Norton Taylor, who played Mary Ellen, is pretty bad.

by Anonymousreply 4008/25/2010

David Duchovny in The X-Files was a revelation in one-note, emotionless acting.

by Anonymousreply 4108/25/2010

The first place in emotionless acting belongs to Julianna Margulies. She's a terrible actress and it doesn't help that she uses so much botox that her face looks like it's set in stone.

by Anonymousreply 4208/25/2010

I always find it strange that people are always bagging on Elizabeth Rohm, but no one ever notes that Ice-T is the worst actor to ever appear on any of the Law & Orders ever.

by Anonymousreply 4308/25/2010

Andrew Shue in Melrose Place. Awful.

by Anonymousreply 4408/25/2010

Ali McGraw anytime she "livened" up a tv drama special

Worst.

Actress.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 4508/25/2010

#44 is correct (the rest of you just have axes to grind). Andrew is the worst 'actor' to ever appear on a television program. In fact, he didn't work for 10 years after the show ended.

by Anonymousreply 4608/25/2010

Candice Bergen! Beyond bad in every single performances she's given.

by Anonymousreply 4708/25/2010

[quote]Ice-T is the worst actor to ever appear on any of the Law & Orders ever.

I think he was outdone by Adam Beach.

by Anonymousreply 4808/25/2010

Katharine Ross in, well, anything.

But I recall her wooden line readings from The Colby's.

by Anonymousreply 4908/25/2010

Gavin MacLeod on "The Love Boat."

by Anonymousreply 5008/25/2010

David Caruso owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 5208/25/2010

Hands down Jorja Fox is THE worst actress ever to be cast in a television series. Whose pussy was she licking to be cast on E.R., The West Wing and C.S.I.?? And to see her try to portray a heterosexual woman in love with the series' lead was the ultimate bad joke!

by Anonymousreply 5308/25/2010

"huge snob and proud of it"

Yes, it's such a badge of honor to allow your insecurities to render you absolutely insufferable. Well done!

by Anonymousreply 5408/25/2010

Wrong, R42!%0D %0D %0D Develop [italic]taste[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 5508/25/2010

"David Schwimmer was/is hot."%0D %0D David Schwimmer was/is ugly. And a bad actor. But he has the look that television writers, directors and producers identify with.

by Anonymousreply 5608/25/2010

You're the one that is wrong, R55. Margulies is a wooden actress. The only thing saving her is the rest of the cast that hides her incompetence. She's lucky she got a second shot at a tv series.

by Anonymousreply 5708/25/2010

The Greenbush sisters who played Carrie Ingall's on LHOTP.

by Anonymousreply 6008/25/2010

I'd vote for the guy who just played Lt Cable on that South Pacific broadcast.

by Anonymousreply 6108/25/2010

Any of the actors involved in the new TV version of The Deep, particularly James Nesbitt.

by Anonymousreply 6208/25/2010

Katherine Heigl, hate her with a passion and her breath stinks from all the smoking.%0D %0D Candace Bergen was awful on the unfunny "Murphy Brown" - Roseanne shoud've won more than one Emmy but she kept losing to this privileged witch. %0D %0D Jayne Mansfield's daughter is very wooden (yet she has a sympathy Emmy). %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6308/25/2010

Melissa Gilbert is terrible on "Little House" and the remake of "Miracle Worker."

by Anonymousreply 6408/25/2010

DYNASTY remains a yardstick by which to measure atrocious TV acting. Some of it was what made the series fun. And some of it was just.... atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 6508/25/2010

Nancy Kulp only played one character no matter if she was in "Love That Bob," "Beverly Hillbillies," "Mr. Ed," "The Jack Benny Show," and every other "acting" job she managed to get.

by Anonymousreply 6608/25/2010

Disagree about D.J. Conner - Mike Fishman - he was very natural, funny and believable as a "special" child, he's semi-retired from acting and married, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 6708/25/2010

Richard Deacon is the male version of Nancy Kulp - the same boring character over and over and over and over.

by Anonymousreply 6908/25/2010

The guy who played Chakotay on "Star Trek: Voyager" was excruciatingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 7008/25/2010

Another vote for Andrew Samonsky (Lt Cable) from the Live From Lincoln Center South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 7108/25/2010

I never could understand why Candace Bergen won all those Emmys for Murphy Brown. I figured they cast that bald guy who played Frank Fontana because he was the only actor in Hollywood who was worse than she was.

The most horrible child actor in the history of television was whoever/whatever played Dodie on the last seasons of "My Three Sons." I can't even remember whether it was a he or a she it was so horribly androgynous--it was just creepy. It made both the Greenbush twins and the Olsen twins look like Lunt and Fontanne.

by Anonymousreply 7208/25/2010

Charlotte "Mrs Garrett" Rae from Facts of Life was consistently awful.

by Anonymousreply 7308/25/2010

That bitch Lassie was a one-note performer!

by Anonymousreply 7408/25/2010

[quote] no one ever notes that Ice-T is the worst actor to ever appear on any of the Law & Orders ever.%0D %0D Because he hardly has any lines.

by Anonymousreply 7508/25/2010

Most child actors were horrible. Strangely Ron Howard was excellent as Opie on Andy Griffith, yet horrid in "Happy Days."

by Anonymousreply 7608/25/2010

Michaela McManus as Kim Greyleck

by Anonymousreply 7708/25/2010

Bonnie Franklin: "... I remember someone saying that she even overacted doing something as simple as answering the door!"%0D %0D She "ran" into every scene with this fake slo-mo jog. And then there was the matter of that sassy chin-lift whenever she was being adorably stubborn. %0D

by Anonymousreply 7808/25/2010

r78, YES! She fucking RAN to answer the door in that tiny apartment every time there was a knock. It was, what, like TEN feet? Bizarre as hell. And everything was soooooo important and dramatic. "Dammit, Julie. Dammit Barbara." The worst TV actress of all time, not to mention her penis head hairdo and that gaping maw of a mouth.

by Anonymousreply 7908/25/2010

Plus she had a vagina chin, r79.

by Anonymousreply 8008/25/2010

Candice Bergen won all of those Emmys because she's beautiful and because she's Hollywood royalty. Roseanne, by contrast, was a fat, unattractive outsider, and behaved like a tyrant behind the scenes of her show. Hollywood just couldn't get past that, even though Roseanne was a far superior show and Roseanne could act circles around Ms. Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 8108/25/2010

James Lafferty of One Tree Hill is Andrew Shue for a new generation.

by Anonymousreply 8208/25/2010

But if Roseanne didn't behave like a ham-fisted tyrant on her show, it would've remained twee like the pilot and first few episodes. Instead, she demanded better scripts and got 'em, thus making the show one of the best sitcoms of all time. Who cares in retrospect? No one runs "Murphy" repeats, but "Roseanne"'s on all the time, and remains hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 8308/25/2010

George Clooney, always angry, ready to defend himself as a rebel, even in the middle of surgery.

David Duchovney? Really? Anyone with eyes can see his talent...oh wait, that's him naked. Sorry

by Anonymousreply 8408/25/2010

I think Roseanne would have won in 92, had Quayle not opened his stupid mouth and attacked Murphy Brown. That win was nothing but a sympathy vote for Murphy Brown. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8508/25/2010

Timothy Hutton is the worst of the second rate actors in Leverage

by Anonymousreply 8608/25/2010

WANT TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY COMEDY?%0D %0D SCREAM ALL YOUR LINES!%0D %0D THAT'S HOW TO PLAY COMEDY!

by Anonymousreply 8808/25/2010

I always thought Isabelle Sanford from the Jefferson's was a terrible actress. And so was most of the supporting cast.

I think this is what got Marla Gibbs noticed even more than she really deserved to be. She was decent and had good comic timing, but compared to the rest of the buffoons on that show she became nearly epic.

by Anonymousreply 8908/25/2010

Yeah, Isabelle Sanford sounded like she was taking an elocution lesson every time she opened her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 9008/25/2010

Roseanne's a great actress, can do seriously good work - did you ever see the episode where her dad died? Very touching and understated scene in the funeral home. She WAS Roseanne Conner and she's very funny and sympathetic in "She Devil" and will delight critics and audiences in her new play coming to Broadway this fall.

by Anonymousreply 9108/25/2010

But that's what made Isabel so HOOPY!

by Anonymousreply 9208/25/2010

r45! I was waiting for that response. I think Ali MacGraw is so beautiful but she is a terrible actress. Seeing her on Dynasty years ago, and although I was young(!), I realized i was watching one of the most wooden and dead performances I'd ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 9308/25/2010

Child star Danny Pintauro as Jonathan Bower on "Who's the Boss?"%0D %0D Contrary to DL popular opinion, showing off his shitter was decidedly a step up:

by Anonymousreply 9408/25/2010

Roseanne really matured as an actress as her series progressed. And I remember seeing her in She-Devil when it came out and be pleasantly surprised. The critics fell all over themselves praising Meryl Streep, as per usual, but Roseanne gave the better performance.

by Anonymousreply 9508/25/2010

"Ali MacGraw is so beautiful but she is a terrible actress"%0D %0D Marrying Robert Evans and Steve McQueen were good career moves for her, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 9608/25/2010

I loved Roseanne, Scottina. Well, I should say I loved the first five seasons. But I wouldn't call Roseanne a "great" actress. You said it yourself, she WAS Roseanne Conner -- the part was essentially an idealized version of herself.

That being said, she definitely grew as an actress during the run of the show, and was fortunate to have actual great actors (John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf, Estelle Parsons) to play opposite and terrific scripts (in the early days) to work with.

Jerry Seinfeld also had terrific scripts and an excellent supporting cast, but he never managed to become half the actor Roseanne did.

by Anonymousreply 9708/25/2010

Dylan McDermott on The Practice. Every single episode was him screaming in righteous indignation. It was like it was the only emotion he knew how to play.

by Anonymousreply 9808/25/2010

Bonnie Franklin closing her eyes every opportunity she got while expressing disagreement with Barbara, Julie, and especially ....Schneider!!%0D %0D The wife on Major Dad shaking her head in disapproval always trying to pull off Mary Richards when she damn well couldn't even come up to Mare's toes.%0D %0D Neve Campbell and her short gasps before every line in "Party Of Five"%0D %0D (notice all three bwere ex-dancers, hmmmm, all trying to imitate another dancer who could REALLY act, Mary Tyler Moore!)%0D %0D But the worst by far:%0D %0D Is this the [italic] ethics [italic/] committee? Cuz I have an [italic] ethics [italic/] complaint.

by Anonymousreply 9908/25/2010

Robert Wagner on Hart to Hart

by Anonymousreply 10008/25/2010

Ah FEEL...awl the TIIIME...lak a CAT on a...%0D %0D HOT. TIN. ROOF!!

by Anonymousreply 10108/25/2010

Lucille Ball in both "Here's Lucy" and "Life with Lucy." I caught one of these episodes recently and could not believe how terrible it was.

by Anonymousreply 10208/26/2010

You like me!! You REALLY LIKE me!!

by Anonymousreply 10308/26/2010

Mr. Roper, mugging at the camera right after any punch line having to do with Jack's gayness.%0D %0D But the muggers' award goes to - all the extras on Saturday Night Live throughout the show's 35 year history. %0D %0D They always make a point to be noticed. %0D %0D French and Saunders had two characters who were also mugging extras.

by Anonymousreply 10408/26/2010

[/italic]Jeeze, r99, learn how to use italics.

by Anonymousreply 10508/26/2010

"Rin Tin Tin could act circles around Roseanne. Francis the Talking Mule could act circles around Roseanne. Car 54 could act circles around Roseanne. Mister Ed could act circles around Roseanne."

And this, my friends, is how to identify yourself as a crotchety old queen, stuck in the past and out of touch with even decades-old pop culture, when posting.

Class dismissed.

by Anonymousreply 10608/26/2010

I think in the course of a long run, some actors do get better. Roseanne acquired some technique by the end of her series (it helped that she was surrounded by Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman, two of the best actors out there).

Sela Ward was kind of awful in the first show she was in (Sisters), but by the end of the run, she was fairly respectable and got praise for that other show she was on (Once and Again? Time and Again?)

Ice-T has also turned into a decent actor. He's got to the point where he can carry an episode.

On the other hand, I've never seen any real improvement in Juliana Margulies, and I've never really thought Chris Noth gave a damn in any of the shows I've seen him in.

I feel bad for awful kid actors, because I assume they're not there by choice, but I can't wait until they grow up a little and leave the business. (Though that didn't work with Scott Baio, who can play a little comedy, but still takes himself WAY too seriously).

by Anonymousreply 10708/26/2010

[italic]testing[/italic] [bold]one, two, three[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 10808/26/2010

[/italic] [/italic] [/italic/]One more time.[/italic] [/italic] [/italic] trying to end 99's italics [/italic] [/italic/]

by Anonymousreply 11008/26/2010

I can't believe no one has mentioned. . .drumroll, please. . .ANNIE POTTS. I'm watching the first season of "Designing Women" and she is horrible, shouting all her dialogue as if she's in a theater (you have a mic over your head, Annie. No need to shout), uses these huge arm swings (your in a close-up, subtle works better) and stamps and stomps in a way that makes Bonnie Franklin--yeah, I'm about to say it bitches--look refined.

by Anonymousreply 11108/26/2010

r110 WTF????????? Italics ended right after r100. Mine was a typo, yours is, well, just ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11208/26/2010

R106, the ubiquity of old TV shows on cable/in the cosmos seems to have passed you by. Also, if someone is referring to decades-old pop culture, how does that show he or she is out of touch with it. Doesn't it prove the opposite? Poor thing. Is that a class of dead mice lined up in the basement you're talking to?

by Anonymousreply 11308/26/2010

I agree with those saying Roseanne Barr can act, although I don't agree with the person that said she out-acted Meryl Streep in She Devil. Puhleeze! It's a bad movie but Streep is the highlight, Roseanne did grow as an actress but she was still quite stiff when she filmed She Devil.

Many of the Roseanne episodes leaned towards soap opera and they showed Roseanne could act, I'm surprised she has pursued more dramatic acting roles. She Devil killed her movie career, so that's part of it.

by Anonymousreply 11408/26/2010

"It doesn't help that the scripts have always been absolutely terrible, 100% of the time, year in and year out"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D It sounds like you watch the show on a regular basis. Kinda funny since you claim to hate the show.

by Anonymousreply 11508/26/2010

And yet no one has thought of Raven Symone. If you think Bonnie Franlin over acts check the low life of an act. I don't get why kids like the show. Her eyes pop with every word and she's a bad actress really bad.

by Anonymousreply 11608/26/2010

That's why kids like her, the bugged eyes make her look like a cartoon. BTW, why are there no cartoons on Sat. mornings on ABC or any decent ones on the other channels? God, just show some vintage Hanna-Barbera, like "Frankenstein Jr. & The IMpossibles!"

by Anonymousreply 11708/26/2010

R116, all of those Disney "actors" are wretched. Just look at those damned Sprouse twins. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 11808/26/2010

We have the winners.

Unlike Roseanne, neither Candace Bergen, nor Jerry Seinfeld could manage to improve over nine or TEN seasons! They both give horrible, loud, wind up toy performances in every episode. Even as a young adult, I noticed how embarrassingly lousy Bergen was the first time I saw the show. Sadly, the rest of the cast had to act even WORSE to make Murphy look good! How did it ever run!?

by Anonymousreply 11908/26/2010

It was the 80s and it was considered timely and Candice had never done a t.v. series before. "Roseanne" holds up so much better.

by Anonymousreply 12008/26/2010

Hey guys, lighten up on Shanna Reed aka the wife from "Major Dad" she happens to love reading the DL.

by Anonymousreply 12108/26/2010

Maybe I looked through this thread too quickly, but I can't believe no one has yet to mention Fran Drescher.

by Anonymousreply 12308/28/2010

r122 - yes, among many others. They are recurring characters in different sketches. My favorite is one in which they are extras in a huge live production of Carmen, the opera.

by Anonymousreply 12408/28/2010

Here we go

by Anonymousreply 12508/28/2010

Susan Crough of "The Partridge Family" and Dee Thomas of "What's Happening." Awful.

by Anonymousreply 12608/28/2010

Should be Suzanne Crough. She was so bad, I've been trying to forget her name.

by Anonymousreply 12708/28/2010

Debra (The New Lucille Ball) Messing....refined the Marjorie Lord acting method.....say something funny and then pull the corners of your mouth down to let us know you just broke yourself up by being HIGH-larious.%0D %0D Of course, Marjorie was attractive which helped...Messing not so much.

by Anonymousreply 12808/28/2010

While I enjoyed Murphy Brown while it was on (it seems pretty bad to me now), I'll have to admit that Bergen was a pretty bad actress. Somehow it didn't bother me at the time. Her character was a loud-mouthed journalist, so I just pretended I was watching the day-to-day goings on of an actual journalist, who would, naturally, not be a good actress. But, again, she was bad.

Sort of the same thing for Seinfeld, but even more so. Bergen is an actual actress (well, sort of), Seinfeld isn't. With the strong scripts and the great supporting cast in an ensemble effort, it never bothered me that Seinfeld himself couldn't act. It just worked. He seemed to be playing it completely tongue in cheek and it worked for me. I still find Seinfeld funny, no so Murphy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 12908/28/2010

Terrible performances all around!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13008/28/2010

"Pot makes you so creative.."

by Anonymousreply 13108/28/2010

One. Hundred. Thirty-one replies..and. NO ONE..mentioned..ME?

by Anonymousreply 13308/28/2010

Because Billy C, honey, you are very lovable, you don't take yourself seriously, and the first one to ridicule your acting is ... you.%0D %0D How can we bitch on about the bitchiest butch bitch of them all? Or let alone be mad at you?

by Anonymousreply 13408/29/2010

I don't know, R130. I think Hilary Horan did a fine job as "Tumpy".

by Anonymousreply 13608/29/2010

I could not watch "Three's Company" because of John Ritter's performance. His ham fisted constant mugging was beyond irritating.

Also, any program with Sammy Davis Jr as a guest star. He made many appearances in everything from "All in the Family to Kojack. Always playing himself with the grace of a paper shredder.

by Anonymousreply 13708/30/2010

Finding a good performance on TV is harder than finding a terrible one.

by Anonymousreply 13808/30/2010

Funny how a lot of shows from the 1990s are still in syndication, but not "Mad About You."

by Anonymousreply 13908/30/2010

[quote]and I've never really thought Chris Noth gave a damn in any of the shows I've seen him in. %0D %0D You're so right, R107. The ONLY time I've thought Noth didn't come off as smug and self-satisfied (or plain bored) was in S1 of L&O, when he was partnered with George Dzundza (a very good actor who clearly started hating his gig midway through the season). Noth and Dzundza had chemistry I've never seen Noth have with any other actor, male or female. They may have hated each other, but I thought they clicked onscreen.%0D %0D And R48, ITA about Beach. The worst part for me was he always sounded like a person with bad denture problems. Taryn Manning has the same issue. Positively painful to watch/listen to.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14008/30/2010

[quote]I could not watch "Three's Company" because of John Ritter's performance. %0D %0D How pathetic that that's the only reason you couldn't watch that awful show.

by Anonymousreply 14108/30/2010

Where did that Danny Pintauro nude pic come from?

by Anonymousreply 14208/30/2010

Manhunt, R142.

by Anonymousreply 14308/30/2010

Has no one heard of the Franklin Award? The eponymous honor was given one time only and then retired as the likelyhood of finding a more deserving winner was less than a positive paternity test.%0D %0D La Franklin (with McKenzie Phillips frisking at her heels)invented her own jandra.

by Anonymousreply 14408/30/2010

r144, does jandra = genre? Is this a new DL malapropism (a la pron, cak, WHET et al) that I missed?

by Anonymousreply 14508/31/2010

There is and was nothing hot about David Schwimmer. And not only is he ugly and untalented, but he's also an asshole. The trifecta.

by Anonymousreply 14608/31/2010

Yes, 145----"jandra" is an adopted malapropism that stretches waaay back to Bo Bice's season on "American Idol."%0D %0D A posted typed "jandra" instead of "genre," and hilarity ensued.

by Anonymousreply 14708/31/2010

Agggggh. I meant "poster," not "posted."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14808/31/2010

"Randy Harrison on QAF. Surprising he landed a series. Could not hold his own with the other players"%0D %0D %0D %0D He held his own just fine, since most of the other actors were equally bad. Gale Harold and especially Hal Sparks were awful.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14909/02/2010

John Lithgow in 3rd Rock from the Sun owns this thread.

I still can't believe he won Emmys for a "performance" that showcased more mugging than Central Park at night.

by Anonymousreply 15009/02/2010

The funny thing about Danny Pintauro is he would qualify for "Annals of Terrible TV Performances," as well as "Anals of Terrible TV Performances."

by Anonymousreply 15109/02/2010

Surprise Annals?

by Anonymousreply 15209/02/2010

Worst ever is ANY line ever uttered by Elizabeth Rohm on Law and Order

by Anonymousreply 15312/01/2012

Kristin Kreuk in anything

by Anonymousreply 15412/01/2012

Holly Marie Combs. Wooden.

by Anonymousreply 15512/01/2012

Jack Coleman in Dynasty, and Andrew Shue in Melrose Place. They made their co-stars performances seem award-winning in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 15612/01/2012

I now own this thread, bitches!!

Gotta go now, those vodka bottles are not gonna drink themselves!

by Anonymousreply 15712/01/2012

Jaclyn Smith, thread closed. She's played an angel, saint and hooker on Tv and they were all uniquely Jaclyn.

by Anonymousreply 15812/01/2012

150, he acknowledged his own mugging, but, really, how else was he supposed to play the character?

by Anonymousreply 15912/01/2012

I agree with R159. John Lithgow was great on 3rd Rock.The characters were aliens who were completely clueless about normal human interaction, so his interpretation of the character was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 16012/01/2012

[quote] I always thought Isabelle Sanford from the Jefferson's was a terrible actress. And so was most of the supporting cast.

The guy who was on that show who'd been the painter on Sesame Street was also horrid. He was creepy looking and was supposed to be Australian. They turned his character from an Australian to an Englishman because he couldn't do an Australan accent. He just managed to scrape by with what sounded vaguely like a British accent to American ears.

by Anonymousreply 16112/01/2012

It's a new day of bad TV acting.

Whitney Cummings, in her sitcom, has mastered the art of telegraphing "funny" before and after every line she delivers. The brunette chick on "Two Broke Girls" does the same thing, but at least manages to pretend to act.

And people are actually watching "Two Broke Girls," unlike "Whitney."

by Anonymousreply 16212/01/2012

[quote]WANT TO KNOW HOW TO PLAY COMEDY? SCREAM ALL YOUR LINES! THAT'S HOW TO PLAY COMEDY! by: Candace Bergin, TV comedy legend

Oh c'mon, the screaming started with All in the Family and didn't let up until those cheap Lear-inspired sit-coms went to the big TV set in the sky.

by Anonymousreply 16312/01/2012

Hilarie Burton in a One Tree Hill episode written by Chad Michael Murray. Yes, imagine that.

The whole episode, which was set in the 1930s for no particular reason, was execrable. Just a compendium of cliches and vanity.

But there was one scene on a bridge that manages to stand out for the most wretchedness. While twirling around on a bridge, Burton delivered a line that made me burst into laughter. It was a line reading worse than anything I had ever heard in community theater.

by Anonymousreply 16412/01/2012

CW shows do not count. If you allow that, we may as well start including elementary school productions.

by Anonymousreply 16512/01/2012

R165 How droll.

by Anonymousreply 16612/01/2012

Everyone on "3rd Rock From The Sun". God, I hated that show.

by Anonymousreply 16712/01/2012

I enjoyed Kirsten Johnston and Jane Curton on 3rd Rock; Lithgow I wanted to smash with a brick.

by Anonymousreply 16812/01/2012

I mostly agree with R168. Jane Curtin was fairly good, as was Kristen Johnston. Lithgow, French, and yes, Joseph Gordon-Levitt were totally execrable.

by Anonymousreply 16912/01/2012

No love for the great Ms. Paz de la Huerta? That counts as acting, right?

On the subject of John Lithgow, I remember reading some article grousing about his Emmy win, saying, "It's supposed to be an award for the best acting, not the most acting."

by Anonymousreply 17012/01/2012

David Caruso not only owns this thread but gets a Life Achievement Award for every godawful performance he's ever given.

by Anonymousreply 17112/01/2012

Although I am a big fan of the show, sometimes Vincent D'Onofrio's acting on "Law & Order: CI" bordered on the hammy. It was almost as if the director could not rein him in.

by Anonymousreply 17212/01/2012

[quote]Jaclyn Smith, thread closed. She's played an angel, saint and hooker on Tv and they were all uniquely Jaclyn.

You are so right sir. She was horrible in pretty much everything that she did. She had the gall to portray Florence Nightingale in an NBC miniseries. Her English "accent" came and went and she was about as emotive as an algae-covered rock.

by Anonymousreply 17312/01/2012

The entire cast of Full House

by Anonymousreply 17412/01/2012

Howard Rosenberg of the LA Times did a column about Jaclyn Smith years back that was so bitchy, you'd have thought he was a regular on DL. His headline: "A Clone Again, Naturally."

by Anonymousreply 17512/01/2012

LOL R175. Great read.

[quote]She had been only slightly less cool and composed in 1983 as the besieged hotshot lawyer of NBC's "Rage of Angels," a role she reprised three years later in "Rage of Angels: The Story Continues." Undoubtedly, she would have come across as even more inert in these miniseries had she not been hindered by lines ("Please, don't hurt me") that required movement of her lips.

by Anonymousreply 17612/01/2012

[quote]Neve Campbell and. her. halting way. of. talking.

...and the mini gasps before each sentence. Used to drive me crazy. Eyes closed for half of her line deliveries didn't help either.

Moving on.

The woman who played Major Dad's wife would constantly "vibrate" her head in exasperation - perhaps in a feeble attempt to channel Mary Richards, Anne Romano, and every cocky character Tom Cruise has ever played? In any case, it did her no good. She was awful.

by Anonymousreply 17712/01/2012

There are sooo many. Threes Company sucked out loud. Full House, and any other show that had a studio audience that gave a collective Auhhhhhh, blew chunks.

by Anonymousreply 17812/01/2012

Has no one mentioned William Shatner?

by Anonymousreply 17912/01/2012

Marc Copage, Diahann Carroll's son on Julia. Could not understand a single word he said.

by Anonymousreply 18012/01/2012

[quote]Law & Order SVU... It stays on because people like to see stories about sex crimes.

No, it stayed on initially because people liked to tune in to see Chris Meloni's hot ass

by Anonymousreply 18112/01/2012

[quote] more mugging than Central Park at night.

Well if this in itself isn't a throwback to eighties-type punchlines!

BTW, here in the 21st Century, Central Park is pretty lit and secure - while it's still open - at night. You probably think anything above 86th street is poverty -stricken and dangerous.

[quote]Has no one mentioned William Shatner?

Yes. Over two years ago, when this thread started. Not to worry, you're not the only one wandering about confused - I thought it was a fairly new thread and found myself answering the very exact same thing I answered two years ago, and not even remembering I had done so. It was only when I decided to dig back for cute answers that everything started clicking.

by Anonymousreply 18212/01/2012

Bonnie Franklin - I get that she was a stage "actress" before being cast on ODaaT, but all that over emoting, arm swinging, finger snapping, UGH.

Candice Bergen - She was the weakest link on Murphy Brown

Elisabeth Rohm on Law & Order - Obviously sucked a few dicks to get (and keep) the job

Miley Cyrus - No comments needed

David Caruso - He must have video of an NCIS producer blowing a goat

Roseanne - OMG, the way she would LAUGH AT HER OWN LINES

Bob Saget and idiot on Full House who made the "funny" voices.

by Anonymousreply 18312/01/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 18412/01/2012

"Full House" was the television equivalent of a root canal.

by Anonymousreply 18512/01/2012

[quote]Roseanne - OMG, the way she would LAUGH AT HER OWN LINES

She got much better as the show went on. In later seasons she was very good in fact, able to bring the drama as well as the comedy when needed. An episode that sticks out in my mind is the one where DJ stole a car, and she hit him out of anger. Roseanne had to confront her own demons from being hit as a child, and the scene where she apologizes to DJ at the kitchen table is heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 18612/01/2012

"No love for the great Ms. Paz de la Huerta? That counts as acting, right?"

She pretty much owns this thread.

"Hilarie Burton in a One Tree Hill episode written by Chad Michael Murray. Yes, imagine that"

She's on White Collar now and hasn't gotten any better

by Anonymousreply 18712/01/2012

[quote]But David Schwimmer was/is hot.

Shit, that's disgustingly low even by the usual DL white queen standards.

by Anonymousreply 18812/02/2012

Please say someone mentioned that Fez creature from "That 70's Show". Actually, all of them are unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 18912/02/2012

From the kids' archives, that Rodriguez kid in "Modern Family" is like nails on a chalkboard. No matter what the mood or tone of the conversation is SUPPOSED to be, he sounds like he's reading from an instruction manual.

He must have good memorizing/retention skills and maybe that's why they give him such lengthy material. It can't be because he delivers it well.

His "partner in crime" (the other boy in the show - a natural slurrer who always sounds drunk or high) is not that much better but at least he doesn't get monologues assigned.

by Anonymousreply 19012/02/2012

Laura Prepon. Just awful.

by Anonymousreply 19112/02/2012

A-men, {181} ! Personally, I'd tune in to watch him walk around the set and read the phone book.

Is it too late to enter Estelle Getty ? I can't find ANYthing that she was ever in that you couldn't practically see her reading her lines from cards.

by Anonymousreply 19212/02/2012

R186 - I watched that clip; Roseanne wasn't half bad and she looked great! A lot slimmer and her face - plastic surgery? Part of the reason I never watched that show was because I found it depressing and because I loathe John Goodman (I met him once IRL and he was an utter PRICK).

by Anonymousreply 19312/03/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 19412/03/2012

There are people whom you dislike on TV, and there are people who can't act. I think a few of you are mixing the two up. You may hate Wilmer Valderrama ("Fez" on THAT 70s SHOW), and God knows I'm not too fond of that smug little prick myself; but he _can_ act. So could most of the kids on THAT 70s SHOW (with the exception of Laura Prepon), although their TV characters' personae were often unlikable, and some of them are similarly unlikable offscreen (like Topher Grace).

People on TV who genuinely couldn't act:

*Candice Bergen. She actually can be funny, but she can't act. Those are two different skills.

*Roseanne on the first season and a half of ROSEANNE. She was absolutely godawful: she cheated too much to the camera, and smiled during her punchlines and John Goodman's. To her credit, she learned on the job FAST and was terrific by the year she won the Emmy.

*The Olsen twins, and also Stephanie Sweet on FULL HOUSE. To the Olsen twins' credit, they were under five when they were asked first to deliver lines on TV; but they were no better as they got older and did that show with Chris Siebert (and also, Raven-Symone was an accomplished child actress when she was under 5 on THE COSBY SHOW).

*Melissa Gilbert on LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE during its first five or six years. Both Allison Arngrim and Melissa Sue Anderson were, in comparison, accomplished child actors from the beginning, and Matthew Laborteaux was genuinely terrific from the outset of his stint on the show; Melissa Gilbert only got better the year they brought in Manly and Eliza Jane. Her brother Jonathan Gilbert (as Willie) was always unable to act.

*Jerry Seinfeld. The other three actors and the fabulous guests stars could actually act, but he couldn't. Like Candice Bergen, he can be funny though.

*Sarah Michelle Gellar. She couldn't act during her BUFFY years, and, to compensate, she picked up this. Annoying habit. Of putting pauses. In unexpected. Places in her speeches that. She learned from Alyson. Hannigan who could. Make it work. Even if. SMG couldn't.

*David Duchovny. He just can't act.

by Anonymousreply 19512/03/2012

I think the trophy should be split between Andrew Shue of "Melrose Place" and Dawn Lyn of "My Three Sons."

by Anonymousreply 19612/03/2012

[quote][R186] - I watched that clip; Roseanne wasn't half bad and she looked great! A lot slimmer and her face - plastic surgery? Part of the reason I never watched that show was because I found it depressing and because I loathe John Goodman (I met him once IRL and he was an utter PRICK).

Yeah, I think that was the season after she'd had a face lift and a boob lift. She did look good, and the long dark hair suited her.

So Goodman was a dick, eh? He seems to be a very...intense guy.

by Anonymousreply 19712/03/2012

SMG is awful on that new sitcom with Robin Williams. Dunno who told her to try comedy, but they should be shot!

by Anonymousreply 19812/03/2013

Michele Lee on Knots Landing. Especially the season they had her fighting with her daughter and hooked on the pain pills. Someone needed to talk that woman out of the rafters. She made Joan Van Ark look understated and downright naturalistic within her character's nuttiness.

by Anonymousreply 19912/03/2013

The acting on "Ozzie and Harriet" was jaw droppingly awful, especially by David, Ricky and their wives, June and Kris.

by Anonymousreply 20012/03/2013

"I think the trophy should be split between Andrew Shue of "Melrose Place" and Dawn Lyn of "My Three Sons.""

Are we certain Dawn Lyn didn't grow up and change her name to Debralee Scott?

by Anonymousreply 20112/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.