Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Vivien Leigh was a dirty girl

The Daily Mail has this breaking news:%0D %0D "Her marriage to Olivier was a sham, with both cheating on one another within months of becoming lovers in 1937, according to unpublished memoirs and witness accounts. At least three of the Oscar winner's lesbian conquests are revealed in 'Damn You, Scarlett O'Hara', to be published in the U.S. And, according to reports, the biography describes her insatiable appetite for 'rough trade' - male prostitutes picked up at Scotty's, a Los Angeles brothel that masqueraded as a petrol station. %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98In the 1940s the world%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s most recognisable star would drive down to Scotty%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s with her friend George Cukor, the initial director of %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98Gone with the Wind%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99, and they would pick out young men for the night,%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99 a publishing source said.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98They would pay the men with gifts such as cigarette cases, jewels or even stocks and bonds. She depended on the professional discretion of men not to boast they had just serviced Scarlett O'Hara,' Miss Leigh was apparently even kicked out of an Italian hotel for bringing back too many 'street boys'. %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98Today, she would be diagnosed as bipolar and there are drugs that would help, but in those days people did not know how to deal with a star who tore off all her clothes and ran out of her house,' the source added. The memoir is by Darwin Porter, who knew the British actress in the 1960s, and Roy Moseley, Olivier's former assistant. 'They were both beautiful and both wanted more,' the authors say. %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%98Vivien loved to torture Olivier with her affairs, especially after she grew more mentally ill, depressed and manic.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99 In addition to flings with British actress Isabel Jeans and two other women, Miss Leigh also cheated with co-stars Marlon Brando and Rex Harrison, they add."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5001/16/2014

This sounds like made-up bullshit about people who have long been dead. If true, it would have come out long ago. The same with the constant "revelations" about Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2010

Congrats on thread #3.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2010

Consider the source, OP. Darwin Porter. Nothing he writes is true.

And why start yet another thread?

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2010

I have read that her greatest love was her husband Laurence Olivier. Do you believe that she had lesbian tendencies and she was in the closet though? What's your opinion about Vivien?

by Anonymousreply 411/22/2012

Oh Jesus, another thread about "scotty" and his fake "brothel" bullshit. How gullible are you idiots?

by Anonymousreply 511/22/2012

R5 what do you mean dear? You care to explain sugar?

by Anonymousreply 611/22/2012

[quote] The Daily Mail has this breaking news:

Oh yeah, where the link?

by Anonymousreply 711/22/2012

Vivien Leigh loved Sir Laurence Olivier, didn't she...? She was just doing other things too when she was not stable...that's all, uh? Anybody knows?

by Anonymousreply 811/22/2012

Ok, Vivien Leigh was a saint according to you, ok gays! Whatever!

by Anonymousreply 911/22/2012

Darwin Porter's biography on Merv Griffin was laughable . . . he had Merv bedding down with just about every well known male of the day . . . even Frank Sinatra!

by Anonymousreply 1011/22/2012

Read the book "Full Service" by Scotty Bowers.

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2012

"Today, she would be diagnosed as bipolar and there are drugs that would help, but in those days people did not know how to deal with a star who tore off all her clothes and ran out of her house,'"

Actually, lithium was used to treat bipolar disorder as early as the 1940s. I wonder if anyone ever tried to get her to use it?

by Anonymousreply 1311/23/2012

R4 why did you revive a thread that died over two years ago? No one cared then, no one cares now.

by Anonymousreply 1411/23/2012

IF THEY DIDN'T CARE THEY WOULDN'T ANSWER, INCLUDING YOU BITCHY R14

by Anonymousreply 1511/23/2012

Who 'killed' the Paul Newman thread? This thread does not exist any longer. Who did that and why? Mean people you are!

by Anonymousreply 1611/23/2012

I watched The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. I wonder if that film inspired her attraction to rough trade Italian boys. It's implied in the film that she's ultimately killed by one.

by Anonymousreply 1711/23/2012

Why are all these threads fr0om 2010 being bumped? God, I hate this fycking site sometimes; it really does have some absolutely insane people. I wish it were paying members only so these freaks could be banned.

by Anonymousreply 1811/23/2012

R18 you have a nasty streak. What's your problem? You seem to have issues with the past. Stop diffusing your negativity in this room. Start Yoga, maybe. Just stop making idiotic remarks. I bet you are of these types that don't really give a damn about the content of a thread but they stuck on the date. Please, do me a favour and get your head out of your constipated ass. Grow up!

by Anonymousreply 1911/23/2012

Vivien Leigh was BRILLIANT, how on earth can she be bipolar? I don't believe it!

by Anonymousreply 2011/23/2012

"You seem to have issues with the past. Stop diffusing your negativity in this room. Start Yoga, maybe. Just stop making idiotic remarks."

Please, by all means. . .you first.

by Anonymousreply 2111/23/2012

Actress Sara Miles spills it in the DM today that VL was bipolar, nympho, etc & that SM had an affair with LO for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 2208/18/2013

Sarah Miles is broke.

She was on British TV the other night, trying to sell a painting because she needs the money.

This isn't the first time that she's told this story - she'd just doing it because she needs the cash.

by Anonymousreply 2308/18/2013

That's too bad about Sarah Miles. I thought she was wonderful in Ryan's Daughter and Lady Caroline Lamb.

by Anonymousreply 2508/18/2013

Sarah Miles was in a film with Sarah Jessica Parker about drug smuggling.

Maybe she could hit her up for a loan.

by Anonymousreply 2608/18/2013

I have never understood the appeal of Laurence Olivier. He's very "stagey" in his acting and he comes across as a big queen onscreen. He always looked like he was wearing nose and chin putty as well.

by Anonymousreply 2708/18/2013

When LO is good, he's great. But he did give bad performances, e.g., cold fish Prince in "The Prince and the Showgirl." I thought he was also a bit too remote in "Rebecca" as well.

by Anonymousreply 2808/18/2013

"Rough trade" is a gay male thing.

I think this is another one of those "gay men paint the histories of their divas/stars with how they would have lived their life".

Vivien was mentally ill though.

by Anonymousreply 2908/18/2013

Aren't you guys getting your panties in a twist only because the work lesbian was in the same sentence as Vivien Leigh? Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3008/18/2013

if anyone was a gift from the gods for Tennessee Williams, it was Miss Vivien.

by Anonymousreply 3108/18/2013

My parents wouldn't let me go see Sarah Miles in "Lady Caroline Lamb." There is a clip on youtube, however, and it's dull beyond imagining.

by Anonymousreply 3208/18/2013

[quote]I watched The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone. I wonder if that film inspired her attraction to rough trade Italian boys. It's implied in the film that she's ultimately killed by one.

The film was inspired by the author's fondness for rough trade. And was written AFTER Leigh had done likewise.

It is implied in the film that she invites one up to kill her.

by Anonymousreply 3308/18/2013

I can't believe anything this author writes. Pity as some of his info may be correct. But he really piles on lots of crap that is transparently false. Credibility gone forever.

Is Scotty B still alive? Isn't he the queen who said Judy tricked with women?

by Anonymousreply 3408/18/2013

"I hate this fycking site sometimes; it really does have some absolutely insane people. I wish it were paying members only so these freaks could be banned"

The most vicious crazies are more than willing to pay their $18, if it gives them the right to be openly venomous. Limiting the place to paying members drives away the kind of casual posters who are more fun.

Anyway, if Porter is basing his book on the crap Scotty Bowers wrote, I won't believe a fucking word of it. Yes, it's long been said that Leigh would screw anything while manic, but sharing rent boys with Cukor while she was still young and stable? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3508/18/2013

I've read a lot about Vivien and she was bipolar, frequently out of control and in very delicate physical health (she had TB) and was often bedridden (alone, presumably). There is a lot of corroborating evidence out there that she had affairs (with men) throughout her marriage to Olivier, notably with Peter Finch. I think it's also fairly well documented that Olivier was bi- and wasn't faithful to her either. I never figured out why he married Joan Plowright though. He was the one who had the affair with Sarah Miles, not Vivien, Sarah Miles ratted him out long ago. She must really be short of cash. She's got mental problems of her own.

Never heard she had an affair with Brando, I'd always read they hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 3608/18/2013

[quote]but sharing rent boys with Cukor while she was still young and stable? Bullshit.

She was bipolar. Who said she was ever stable?

Some of you queens have far too much vested in disbelieving the Bowers book.

by Anonymousreply 3708/18/2013

So tired of the bi-polar label. Who the hell isn't bi-polar given this definition:

Sometimes the mood switches from high to low and back again are dramatic and rapid, but more often they are gradual and slow, and intervals of normal mood may occur between the high (manic) and low (depressive) phases of the condition.

I knew a French actress who was labeled bipolar after her death. She seemed normal enough to me. A bit melancholy, but certainly never exibited any manic phases.

by Anonymousreply 3808/18/2013

[quote]So tired of the bi-polar label.

I bet you're tired of that cancer label, too. It's just so gosh-darn tedious.

by Anonymousreply 3908/18/2013

Darwin Porter is full of shit. So is Scotty Bowers. Both are liars. But there are silly people in this world who believe anything they read, so they do have an audience.

As for Vivien Leigh...she was a beautiful, talented woman who loved sex. She left her nice but ordinary husband and their baby daughter to run off with Laurence Olivier (he left his wife and baby to be with her). Apparently those who knew the pair remarked on their "sexual greediness" for each other. They seemed like the perfect couple; both very accomplished, talented actors and both gorgeous. But her mental illness did her in. She'd go absolutely bonkers and fuck anything. Olivier couldn't take it anymore so he left her for the plain but very stable Joan Plowright. Leigh never got over losing Olivier. She died at only 53 of tuberculosis. For all her success, she was a very tragic figure.

by Anonymousreply 4008/18/2013

R40: Like Olivier's love of the taste of dick didn't have anything to do with their marriage not working . . .

by Anonymousreply 4108/18/2013

2 of the greatest performances in film history.

by Anonymousreply 4208/21/2013

r27, I read in a biography of LO that indeed, his nose WAS putty; or rather, he never performed without make-up to hide his disliked natural nose.

by Anonymousreply 4308/21/2013

"Like Olivier's love of the taste of dick didn't have anything to do with their marriage not working . . .'

It was Leigh's increasing lunatic episodes that drove Olivier to divorce her. Dick sucking played no part in it. Olivier said it in an interview: he had to leave to save himself. Arthur Miller said the same thing about Marilyn Monroe; he had to get away from her to preserve his own sanity.

by Anonymousreply 4408/21/2013

Snake charmer Vivien Leigh

by Anonymousreply 4501/15/2014

[R:29] Gay boys can't claim a monopoly on liking a little "rough trade". What a funny little thing to say.

by Anonymousreply 4601/15/2014

Leigh was bipolar, and later in her life and marriage to Olivier, I wouldn't be surprised at all if she was sexually promiscuous. But Olivier was the love of her life, and Darwin Porter can't write anything I believe. He makes up conversations, incidents, and pairings that are ridiculous.

Scotty Bowers is another one and I remember a series of newspaper articles where they went through the book, and even the geography was wrong, forget the names and situations.

Olivier at one point wrote that Leigh told him that from that point on, they would be "brothers and sisters" and he added, "but sometimes, the brother and sister relationship became downright incestuous."

by Anonymousreply 4701/15/2014

[R27] If you want to see the great Laurence Olivier, I suggest "Sister Carrie," probably his best performance, and "The Entertainer" which he also did onstage. I also love him in "Wuthering Heights" - I thought he was gorgeous.

I liked him in Rebecca. I think Maxim is supposed to be remote.

He has a line in Sister Carrie I've never forgotten. He's in a loveless marriage and he yells at his wife, "I will have some happiness before I die." Such a gut-wrenching movie.

And what is with Sarah Miles - she had an affair with Olivier, not VL.

by Anonymousreply 4801/16/2014

[R27] Orson Welles did that, he was known for it. What is the source for Olivier?

by Anonymousreply 4901/16/2014

R45 why the FUCK did you bump an ancient thread? What an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 5001/16/2014
Need more help? Click Here.