Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Calling DL True Crime Aficionados!

It's been a long time since I've read Helter Skelter. Who was the actress who was supposed to go to dinner at Sharon Tate's house that fated night but had called off earlier? Were there other celebrities who sent their regrets?%0D %0D Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2012

I think it was Candice Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 108/19/2010

And if you believe all the stories, it was just about EVERY single actor or actress within a hundred miles of Cielo Drive! It seems like EVERYONE was "supposed" to be there that fateful night. It makes a good story.

by Anonymousreply 208/19/2010

Just finished reading Quincy Jones' autobiography. One of his best friends had asked him to go to the party that night, but Q was tired and decided to go to bed instead. The friend, Jay Sebring, was killed.%0D %0D He also says that he nearly bought the house a couple of years before.

by Anonymousreply 308/19/2010

But I think R1 is right, in the book the author says it was Candice Bergen.%0D %0D Can anyone else corroborate?

by Anonymousreply 408/19/2010

Jullianne Moore. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 508/19/2010

I don't know why I thought Bergman was Cameron, I'm like, "wouldn't she have been way too young". Then it occurred to me, what I actually read. Yes, I need to go to bed. Good thread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 608/19/2010

After the murders occurred it was very fashionable to say, I was supposed to be there that night, but something came up and I couldn't go. Now, Steve McQueen was a friend of Sharon Tate%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s, and I think he truly was supposed to be there, but he couldn't make it. Everyone else is BS from what I have heard.

Candice Bergen lived there with her boyfriend who was Doris Day's son before Sharon and Roman Polanski bought the place. Candice Bergen loved the house and thought it was adorable. Apparently Doris Day's son was supposed to be Manson's target. Manson wasn't aware he didn't live there anymore. Sadly the murderers broke in through the window of the soon to be babies nursery.

by Anonymousreply 708/19/2010

There was NO party. It firmly states in "Helter Skelter", the definitive book on the Manson murders, that there was no party planned that night. Of course that didn't stop dozens of celebrities and writers from saying they were invited to a party in the Tate house that fateful night. I have no idea why anyone would make up a story about being asked to party that night. There wasn't any party!%0D %0D Tate was planning a big party for Roman Polanski's birthday when he returned from England. Maybe that's how the party rumor got started. But there was no party at 10050 Cielo Drive on August 9, 1969. Far from it.

by Anonymousreply 808/19/2010

[quote]pparently Doris Day's son was supposed to be Manson's target. Manson wasn't aware he didn't live there anymore.

Manson was perfectly aware that Terry Melcher didn't live there anymore. A few weeks prior to the murders, he showed up to harass the house's owner Rudy Altobelli, who at the time was living in the guest house while Sharon was in the main house and Gibby Folger was staying with her while Roman was in Europe filming something. He actually approached the main house while Sharon was out on the porch, but her friend and photographer, whose name is escaping me at the moment, shooed him away.

The following day, she and Altobelli flew to Europe together (she was joining Roman, he was going for business) and she asked him if he'd seen "the creepy guy."

by Anonymousreply 908/19/2010

There was no party. Sharon was very pregnant and it was the hottest day of the year. She asked the housekeeper if she wanted to stay the night because it was cooler up there, but she declined. The only person who was suppose to stop by was Robert Evans, as he had been doing so to check on Sharon for his friend Roman. Instead he chose to phone that night. All of the others who say that they were suppose to be at the "party" are the same type who were suppose to be at the World Trade Center.

by Anonymousreply 1008/19/2010

What was the Beach Boys' connection? I vaguely remember reading, ages ago, that Manson had actually been to that house and knew Terry Melcher, who he hated,but I forget why, and he'd written songs and did drugs, with the Beach Boys, or hung out with them at that house, before Roman and Sharon ever rented it.Point being, he knew the house and the layout.

by Anonymousreply 1108/19/2010

Dennis Wilson had allowed the Family to crash at his house for a good period of time during their time before they started planning for their escape to the desert, and had given Manson Beach Boys gold records for some reason or another. He also paid for numerous treatments of syphilis among the Family woman (and believe referred to it as "the most expensive case of the VD ever), and they also wrecked his very expensive car.

I don't know if this has actually been mentioned, but the one person who apparently actually did dodge a bullet the night of the Tate murders was Joanna Pettet, with whom Sharon had had lunch on the day of the murders,

by Anonymousreply 1208/19/2010

[quote]I don't know if this has actually been mentioned, but the one person who apparently actually did dodge a bullet the night of the Tate murders was Joanna Pettet, with whom Sharon had had lunch on the day of the murders%0D %0D That's because she's secretly Isis.

by Anonymousreply 1308/19/2010

"It was later reported that one or more of Manson's girls had a list of celebrities they wanted to kill and McQueen's name was on the the list. It is not known if Charles Manson even knew about this list.'%0D %0D While in jail the talkative Susan Atkins told a fellow prisoner a lot about the murders, bragging about it really. She said the Family planned on killing more famous people like Elizabeth Taylor and Frank Sinatra. Atkins said that she would heat a knife white hot and put it against Taylor's face and that would more or less leave her mark. Then she'd cut out her eyes and gigglingly said she would send them to Eddie Fisher. She said with Frank Sinatra they would skin him alive and use his hide to make purses that they would sell in hippie shops. %0D %0D Atkins also talked about killing Sharon Tate. She said that Tate begged "please don't kill me, please don't kill me. I don't want to die. I want to live. I just want to have my baby. I just want to have my baby." Atkins said she told Tate "look bitch, I have no mercy for you. You're going to die and I don't feel a thing about it. And in a few minutes I killed her and she was dead." Atkins had Tate's blood on her hand and she sampled some of it, saying it was "warm and stick and nice."%0D %0D You think I'm making this stuff up? It's all from "Helter Skelter." Anybody who wants to know everything about the Manson murders should read it. It will tell you everything.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2010

The entire Helter Skelter movie with Steve Railsback as a very convincing Charlie Manson, used to be on You Tube, but I haven't been able to find it lately.

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2010

Joanna Pettet is like a true crime Forrest Gump. Her two close friends were killed by the "Career Girl Killer" in New York in 1963. She moves to London; when she vacates her apartment, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones moves into it and is famously busted by the police, who find drugs hidden in a ball of wool. Jones denied the wool was his; Pettet denied it was hers.

Then on to LA and a Manson near-miss.

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2010

It was going to be Candice Bergen, but fortunately at the last minute she sent her adopted brother Charlie McCarthy along instead.

Leslie van Houten apparently blunted three knives entirely trying to stab him to death him, and then gave up and went to work on Abigail Folger instead as Charlie looked on from the sidelines and made witty sarcastic comments.

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2010

I thought they said they wanted to behead Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton? Also, I heard Charles Manson was aware of the list because he wanted to take an all out revenge on all of Beverly Hills?

by Anonymousreply 1908/19/2010

[quote]I thought they said they wanted to behead Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton?

That was Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 2008/19/2010

[quote]That's because she's secretly Isis.%0D %0D No she's not!%0D %0D She's Wonder Woman and she used her magic bracelets to knock the bullets away!

by Anonymousreply 2108/19/2010

[quote]That was Debbie Reynolds.%0D %0D We ALL wanted to behead Debbie at one time or another.

by Anonymousreply 2208/19/2010

Manson music -

by Anonymousreply 2308/20/2010

The book said that there were several children of cult members at their ranch, who were taken in by social services. I've always wondered what happened to them and if they ever found out who their bio parents were.

by Anonymousreply 2408/20/2010

There is of course the nutcase who calls herself Rosie Tate Polanski and claims to be the child cut from Sharons womb. Now nevermind the fact that the baby was not cut from Sharon's body, nor that the baby was a boy. This case attracted more nutjobs and hangers on than any other.

by Anonymousreply 2508/21/2010

IIRC, Dennis Wilson invited the Manson family members to stay in his house after he picked a couple of the girls up when they were hitchhiking in Malibu. After a time, he became scared to death of the Family members. He liked some of Manson's music (I think one of Manson's songs is actually on a Beach Boys album) but when they moved in to the house, they basically took it over and Dennis couldn't get rid of them. %0D %0D They were so creepy and threatening to him, that he actually sold the house and had his manager tell them they had to leave. That's how he finally got them out of there and away from him.

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2010

I always wondered what became of Linda KAsabian and her kid. That baby was Charles Manson's kid, you know. Wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2010

No, Linda had two children with her husband, Robert Kasabian. Her daughter Tanya was a toddler when she moved in with the Family, and she was already pregnant with her second as well.

by Anonymousreply 2808/22/2010

Returning to the thread, Ten Rillington Place is one of the greatest true crime stories ever.

It has everything: a monster as the serial murderer, a botched criminal investigation, a suspenseful plot, and an ending that changed Great Britain law.

It was written by Sir Ludovik Kennedy, an investigative journalist. He was a professional researcher and writer, and it shows. Unlike many of these books, written by D.A.s or hacks who turn out dozens, he knows how to lay out a true story.

His account was turned into a movie with Richard Attenborough and John Hurt in 1971.

He also wrote The Airman And The Carpenter, a re-examination of the Lindbergh kidnapping. Both are riveting.

by Anonymousreply 2908/22/2010

Wasn't it Joanna Pettet who played Kay in THE GROUP? Or she might have been to the Polanski Tate home for lunch earlier in the day. I can't remember exactly but I do recall that Pettet visited Tate the day before or the afternoon of the murders.

by Anonymousreply 3008/22/2010

bump for more. Interesting thread.

by Anonymousreply 3108/22/2010

Patty Duke has said she was invited to the house that night but backed out because she had headache.

by Anonymousreply 3208/22/2010

what does mean IIRC mean?

by Anonymousreply 3308/22/2010

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

by Anonymousreply 3408/22/2010

R6, OP openly admitted he hates women at R2, which is rather amazing for DL. Shameless misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 3508/22/2010

Thanks r34

by Anonymousreply 3608/22/2010

IIRC = If I recall correctly

by Anonymousreply 3708/22/2010

Was there gay stuff going on in the Mason family? Vincent Bugliosi said the men had sex with one another very often. Is there any truth to that?

R25, that woman is a nut case for sure. I saw the autopsy photos of Sharon's body, and she was not cut open. She had many, many stab wounds.

by Anonymousreply 3808/26/2010

"Was there gay stuff going on in the Mason family? Vincent Bugliosi said the men had sex with one another very often. Is there any truth to that?'%0D %0D I've never heard that Charles Manson liked sex with men, although he had homosexual experiences in prison. %0D %0D The Manson family did whatever Charlie told them to do, and that included sex. During their orgies Charlie would direct the action, and he probably had some of his male followers have sex with other men.%0D %0D There were a lot of outlandish claims about Sharon Tate, that her baby had been cut out, that one of her breast's had been cut off, that she had Xs carved into her body. None of that was true. I have no idea why people would make up shit like that. The truth was bad enough. She was stabbed 16 times, five of the wounds being in and of themselves fatal. Her death certificate states that she died of "multiple stab wounds of chest and back, penetrating heart, lungs, and liver, causing massive hemorrhage."

by Anonymousreply 3908/26/2010

Funny, I am actually reading Helter Skelter right now. %0D %0D According to the book, Sharon Tate's teenage sister phoned that day, asking if she could drop by with friends that evening -- something she apparently did from time to time -- but Sharon begged off, saying she was tired, and suggested her sister come another time.

by Anonymousreply 4108/26/2010

steve mcqueen killed sharon tate and the babies he impregnanted her with. where is roman polanski? killed his ass too! neile adams hiding gory truth to protect her investments. more about faget mcqueen to come out

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2012

Well I see R42 has lurched out of the grave this morning.

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2012
Need more help? Click Here.