Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I have Plantar Fasciitis. God Damn it.

Everyone, including my doctor sort of shrugs and says there are options for more comfortable shoes. I want a cortisone shot directly in my heel. Has anyone ever had this and taken cortisone for it? does it ever go away?

by Anonymousreply 12203/31/2013

I never got a cortisone shot. I did stretching exercises and got shoes with more support (not orthopedic, just with more structure) and it went away in a matter of a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 108/17/2010

My feet are totally and completely SHOT.%0D %0D It happens.%0D %0D The only shoes I can wear are athletic shoes (gym shoes)

by Anonymousreply 208/17/2010

I bought a Dr Scholl's heel pain relief orthotic insert. The problem eventually cleared up. Doctors normally won't give drugs for that.

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2010

Fuck you R5.

by Anonymousreply 608/17/2010

Make an appointment with a podiatrist. There are inserts that can be made for your shoes that will relieve this condition.

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2010

...well let your foot rot off then.

by Anonymousreply 808/17/2010

Actually R5 is right. Also rolling your heel on a cold soda can (but don't drink the soda LOL) I had one and it went away after about 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2010

Had it a few years ago. Switched to Dansko shoes at the suggestion of a friend and haven't suffered since then. Now that's all I wear unless it's a very formal event. They're ugly(ish) but very comfortable and add 2 inches to my height (I'm 6'4" but look even taller in them!) I have 7 pairs now, from very casual to polished black and brown semiformal. Bad news - it will take a few months for it to go away, no matter what, especially in the early morning, but the Dansko's will help you walk in the AM without major pain.

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2010

My doctor offered to give me a shot for mine today as the absolute last resort. I've worn orthotics in my shoes for years, and he just made me some new ones. They're not helping; nothing is. This is the worst I've ever had it, but I can't imagine getting a shot in my heel. He taped my foot today and said the only option now is to just wait for it to go away. We've tried everything else. My last round of it took two years to go away completely. Then I got it in the other foot. I'm about to come off COBRA and no insurance companies will take me because of Plantar Fasciitis, believe it or not. Fuck all insurance companies. And PF.

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2010

I have plantar fasciitis and exercises helped but the heel pain stayed for over 6 months. It wasn't until I started wearing MBT shoes (at the advise of a nurse friend), which have a rocking horse type of sole which keeps the pressure off of the heel, that my heel pain diminished markedly. It took 2 months of wearing them daily before the pain lessened, however. I also went to a Podiatrist who fitted me with an orthotic. It didn't help nearly as much as the MBT shoes. He also was going to give me Cortisone if the pain continued. Thankfully, I am nearly pain free and can walk now with regular shoes. If you have tried several types of shoes and orthotics and you still have pain, there is nothing wrong with getting Cortisone from a Podiatrist. It often stops the pain for a long time without any major side effects.

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2010

R11, you cannot even feel the shot. You feel nothing.%0D %0D I've had many cortisone shots in the knee, and you feel nothing. Just a very tiny pin prick.%0D %0D They numb the area and the pin prick is over in a second.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2010

r12, yes, but they have to be made of untreated redwood.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2010

It was most painful when I get up every morning and put weight on my heel. My sports medicine doctor told me to do calf stretches by standing on the edge of a step or use one of those platforms at the gym. It worked for me. He told me to stretch for 6 minutes every day, and it really felt better after a couple of weeks and then the heel pain went away completely.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2010

Yes, Dansko clogs. I've heard good things about MBT too, but thank god the Dansko's worked.

The calf stretches helped too, OP. Good advice, R16!

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2010

Do the stretches before you get out of bed every day. They really do help. %0D %0D And never go barefoot, ever. Any shoe or slipper you wear, put orthotics in them to support the arch and heel. They don't need to be the expensive custom-made ones.%0D %0D With time, it should get better.%0D %0D Sorry, toots, but your days of wearing flip-flops and jazz shoes are over.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2010

Yep ... keep spending money on all those shoes and inserts ...

by Anonymousreply 2008/17/2010

R14 is a delusional, cortisone injections hurt like hell. And they don't really do anything for you except temporarily mask the pain - someday when that cortisone wears off you will be in even worse shape because you didn't bother to stretch or get good inserts.%0D %0D The only things that really help are: %0D %0D Orthotics%0D %0D Stretching (3x a day)%0D %0D Ice%0D %0D Wearing a splint at night%0D %0D Wearing shoes at all times %0D %0D Check at the link, you will find all kinds of products. I really like the Cold One Plantar Fasciitis Wrap.

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2010

OP, I had it along with a heel spur. It sucks because you can't even walk for more than 20 mins without pain.

I had two cortizone shots in the foot and they worked...for a bit. But the pain would always return. They tried the taping, inserts, stretches, etc. Finally, I relented and had the surgery. Plantar Fascitis Release. That was in 2000 and my foot has never given me pain since. Should have done it way sooner. They basically go in, slice your tendon and let it heal back. I was on crutches for about a week, then walking with a boot thing.

Is it your left heel? It is usually in the left foot.

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2010

Stop wearing Crocs and high heels and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2010

I work for a big Ortho clinic near Boston. The doctors always say the same things: Stiff-soled shoes and specific home exercises or brief physical therapy.

My partner had it, and the exercise where he squats down and keeps the entire foot on the floor (no raising the heel!) really helped, as did glucosamine.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2010

R5's method probably works a little bit like the nighttime taping of the foot, preventing a certain flexing position of the foot during the night. Still, I'd rather try the tape than stinky potatoes.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2010

It took 6 months for the pain to stop for me.%0D Do the exercises & be careful about the type shoes you wear. Make sure you have arch spport in all of your shoe. The pain sometimes is unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2010

go to a home depot and get a 3'-4' length of a dowel cut - make sure it has the diameter of a rolling pin - 3 inches or so. %0D %0D use it to roll your feet on when you are sitting at your desk, or watching television.%0D it hurts like hell at first, but it does stretch the bottom of your foot. %0D %0D also, do the stretches that all of the replies above indicate, they all help.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2010

We treat this everyday in our office.

It is very painful...indeed. You can have up to three shots spread out over time.

MY partner is excellent at giving the injections...that is what you need. someone who is an expert...many patients wonder when he is going to start the injection and he tells them it is over.

He uses a cold spray while injecting...then foot strappings...we teach patients how do this for themselves at home//anti-inflammatory meds...maybe some physical therapy and orthotics.

Make sure all other diagnoses are ruled out...a torn plantar fascia...or spurs ...may need an MRI if no relief from standard of care.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2010

I've had PF since April. Finally saw an orthopedic in June. He gave me a script for a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (nsaid), recommended that I roll my feet on a frozen water bottle regularly, and do some stretches. He also gave me inserts for my shoes.

And he said don't ever go barefoot. I'd been wearing house slippers around the house anyway because of the hard wood floors. He said to replace the slippers with Crocs.

It's a lot better, but still there. It hurts most in the morning. I'm down to taking one dose of NSAID instead of two, though. Hopefully I'll be able to start jogging again in September...

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2010

You guys are lucky. Dansko doesn't come in my size.

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2010

My doc said never go barefoot, roll my foot on the frozen water bottle and stretch. He also said that there is a binding for your ankle that can hold your foot at a ninety degree angle at night that some find helpful. He said lots of things help a little and if you do enough of them for long enough it goes away.

Both my parents and my older brother said the same thing and it wouldn't have cost me a copay. All three were in agony and don't remember when it stopped or how long it lasted but none have pain now.

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2010

R31

My doctor told me to go barfoot whenever possible. HMMM...could it be they don't really know?

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2010

I had it.

I switched to birkenstocks (something I swore I would never do) and it went away.

by Anonymousreply 3308/17/2010

It never goes away- it just ebbs and flows.%0D %0D I developed it when I had to take over for the mail delivery at work. I was wearing cheap shoes and pounding on hard surfaces delivering mail over four floors day after day. I wore my arch down and soon started limping when I walked. They finally hired a mail person but the damage was done.%0D %0D I went to a podiatrist and he was very dismissive (the only time (I've ever used my health insurance, which is $200/mo. because I'm part-time). Acted like I was trying to attain disabled status. But he recommended I go to this particular athletic shoe store and buy this expensive shoe. He was very emphatic and kept asking me to tell them he sent me.%0D %0D I instead went to CVS and bought a gel arch support for a lot less. It still pains me if I walk a lot but I can live with it.

by Anonymousreply 3408/17/2010

I had it for 6 months not knowing what it was. Stumbled onto the answer while reading a Good Foot catalog. Did some research and statted with the exercises, hanging my feet over the stair and stretching. Gone within weeks and has never come back.

by Anonymousreply 3508/17/2010

It does go away, unlike what some have said. I had a bout with it years ago, so I started the stretching exercises and wearing better shoes and it hasn't bothered me in years. And I go barefoot or wear mocs all the time now.

by Anonymousreply 3608/17/2010

I started with an custom orthotic and then switched to Finn Comfort shoes, which I like better. My foot pain improved within a few days. I can now wear regular shoes for a day when I need to.

Cortisone is a temporary solution and you'll just keep having the problem. Get an orthotic or a proper shoe and you'll get better and stay there.

by Anonymousreply 3708/17/2010

My podiatrist said wear orthotics, stretch and never go barefoot. I bought Crocs' Relief shoes to wear around the house and they have helped the most.

by Anonymousreply 3808/17/2010

"R14 is delusional, cortisone injections hurt like hell. And they don't really do anything for you except temporarily mask the pain - someday when that cortisone wears off you will be in even worse shape because you didn't bother to stretch or get good inserts."%0D %0D R21 I can back-up R14's claim. I had 2 injections of cortisone in my foot over a period of several months; they did not hurt at all. %0D %0D The best solution is Orhotics with exercise - AND ALWAYS EXERCISE WITH YOUR ORTHOTICS - and I know they sell over-the-counter orthotics which are much cheaper, BUT get the customized ones for your own comfort. They last a long time and though my insurnace only paid for the first pair, if you have one of those Pre-tax Healthcare Savings plans you can use those funds to pay for them. I routinely run 4 and 5 miles in Central PArk now; I turn 46 next month.

by Anonymousreply 3908/17/2010

OP, it sounds like you are addicted to pain meds.

by Anonymousreply 4008/17/2010

going barefoot only makes it worse, imo.

by Anonymousreply 4108/17/2010

Last year I was having constant foot pain, and the heel pain was getting worse and worse, I was in the early stages of plantar fascitis.%0D %0D Then I started yoga for my backaches... and the foot pain totally went away! I was astonished, because nobody had told me that yoga was good for foot pain, but as it happens a lot of the exercises stretch the feet and achilles tendons enough to help plantar faschitis.

by Anonymousreply 4208/17/2010

Bitches, please.

I had shots in both feet six years ago and haven't been bothered by PF since.

No exercises, no orthotics, no constant bitching and moaning.

Injections = reduction in inflammation = no pain.

Christ what a bunch of cry-babies.

by Anonymousreply 4308/17/2010

Not everyone's feet are exactly like yours , you myopic asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4408/17/2010

I had problems back when I had no health insurance and was living on a fairly low income, so I treated myself.

First thing I did was throw away the shoes I was wearing most of the time. I was wearing some shoes that came in different colors and looked somewhat different, but they were the same basic shoe. I was walking about 3 miles a day in them, so that made a huge difference.

I bought Dr. Scholl's gel heel pads and Dr. Scholl's arch supports for all of my shoes.

Then I began doing exercises several times a day to stretch the backs of my calves.

I wear better shoes now, not any particular brand but nothing with much of a heel. I have never had problems again, but I still do stretching exercises every morning and evening.

by Anonymousreply 4508/17/2010

8 5 1

by Anonymousreply 4608/17/2010

My partner spent the money for the custom orthotics, and he says he's glad he did. They really work for him.%0D %0D NOT going barefoot around the house was the hardest thing for me to accept, because we take our shoes off at the front door. But it's worth it to keep the pain at bay.

by Anonymousreply 4708/17/2010

I'm a RN who works 13 hours a day on concrete ICU floors. I developed severe heel pain with a bone spur and PF of my right heel.%0D %0D My doctor tried NSAIDs and then we tried the custom built orthotics. No luck.%0D %0D I finally consented to the cortisone heel injection and I have not had any pain since. That was more than 5 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4808/17/2010

One exercise is to roll a can of vegetables or something under your foot.%0D %0D I gotta tell ya, I had it bad about ten years ago. I never had orthotics made but I bought over the counter inserts. I got some relief. Eventually, I happened upon Ecco shoes. Bought some sneakers and then some dress shoes. I never had to put the inserts in them and I no longer have the pain. I do have about five pairs of Ecco shoes and sneakers now.%0D %0D My BF, who is a tall thin guy, also ended up getting Platar Fasiitis. He did spend the money on orthotics. Which his puppy chewed up about a year ago.%0D %0D He since bought some Ecco shoes and sneakers and no longer complains about PF.%0D %0D I realize everybody is different and results may vary, but I recommend looking at Eccos.

by Anonymousreply 4908/17/2010

The coritzone shot hurt a tiny bit in comparison to the years of pain I had from PF. So don't let the fear of the pain of the shot stop you. Seriously, it didn't really hurt me at all when I got the shot.

by Anonymousreply 5108/17/2010

Anyone ever try these ?

by Anonymousreply 5208/17/2010

I must add that the boot (suggested by another poster) that holds your foot at an angle is a nightmare and a romance killer. Trust me, no one wants to fuck you while you're wearing that boot. Plus it doesn't work.

No one else has mentioned a great massage therapist, which is what cured me. I see an old school Russian woman who does a deep tissue massage for me regularly. She worked my foot like crazy for several weeks until I felt better.

By the way, PF is a form of nerve damage so difficult to treat - it also requires treating the entire nerve so full deep tissue massage is necessary for relief.

Good luck, PF sucks but is treatable with patience.

by Anonymousreply 5308/17/2010

I've had it, OP.%0D %0D You probably don't need a cortisone shot.%0D %0D What you probably need are custom orthotics that you can put into your shoes.%0D %0D A cortisone shot isn't going to keep it from happening again. Wearing orthotic footwear should prevent reoccurence and greatly improve your exercise and health.

by Anonymousreply 5408/17/2010

I think r5 thinks you have plantar warts, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5508/17/2010

Look for an orthopedic MD who is familiary with a machine called the Ossitron. I know it sounds kind of Jetson-y, but this is a machine that delivers a jolt of electricity to the heel (also used for elbows and shoulders). I am a workers comp nurse, and I went to a seminar on this thing. It is used on pro athletes a lot. The body can only tolerate so much cortisone, and unfortunately cortisone usually has transient effects. All the other advice here is good, too, but check out Ossitron treatments.

by Anonymousreply 5608/17/2010

Sorry, it's spelled Ossatron. Google it and start reading. Good luck--

by Anonymousreply 5708/17/2010

I had/have? it, too.%0D %0D I tried tennis ball under the arch exercise.%0D %0D The thing that worked for me, though, was the blue Dr Scholl arch inserts (about $20 in Canada - I assume it is less in the US). I wear them all the time in my Clark's desert boots and converse sneakers and I feel ok now.

by Anonymousreply 5808/17/2010

Exercises and heel cups worked for me, and shoes that are solid that provide a lot of cushioning when you walk. I had them is 2005 and these things worked for me. I didn't get the orthotics, just the heel cups, which you should buy at a surgical supply place. Make sure you get the right ones for your body weight.

by Anonymousreply 5908/17/2010

Sorry to ask a somewhat OT question but any tips for flat feet? I have flat feet (one foot is flatter than the other) and it hurts me to be on my feet too long no matter what shoes I wear. I've tried expensive shoes, orthotics, still nothing works.

by Anonymousreply 6108/17/2010

I don't know anything about the cortisone shot. It was incredibly painful some days to walk and I could only go so far without sitting down back in March. I bought some Dr. Scholl's inserts, took Advil, started exercising and lost some weight. I have occasional pain but nowhere near what I had several months ago. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6208/17/2010

do the stretching exercises.... it works wonders, and don't wear shoes with hard heels... got to do the exercises before your first steps in the morning.... damn hard to do when i had to pee like crazy... but doing the stretching exercises solved my pain problems.

by Anonymousreply 6308/17/2010

A daily Fish oil or Flax oil capsule helps to alleviate the problem. Add that to your diet along with the physical therapy and the footwear that works for you.

by Anonymousreply 6408/17/2010

R52, I'm a VFF/barefoot convert. But that's a concept most people obsessing with orthotics have a hard time wrapping there heads around, and too many get hung up on how it looks, rather than how it works.

Physics concepts - easiest way to destabilize an arch is to give it support.

by Anonymousreply 6508/17/2010

Me too R65. Over a period of a few years I went from Birkenstocks, to Dansko clogs, to New Balance sneakers with inserts, back to Birks and then I tried VFFs.

I can't stand anything else on my feet now and my feet never hurt anymore. My knees and hips are in much better shape too. Constantly having to explain my footwear to strangers can get annoying though.

by Anonymousreply 6608/17/2010

R56 nurse here...to my knowledge Ossatron treatments are used primarily for plantar fascitis and lateral epicondylitis of the elbow. Only recently have they started some trials for tendonitis of the shoulder. %0D SynVisc injections might be a good option for the knee. 3 injections spaced over 3-6 months.%0D %0D Ossatron treatments have a pretty impressive success record, with something like 90% of patients reporting relief after only one treatment. And it isn't really electricity, it's high energy shockwaves that they hit you with...it makes kind of a loud noise and they give the patients headsets to wear.

by Anonymousreply 6708/17/2010

I had the shot, and it works - not permanent but definitely lasts a long time. I now wear orthotics from Costco (they're great and so much cheaper than my old leather one). The pain can go away, OP. Mine's essentially all gone (right foot is flat, left is ok).

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2010

None of that changes the fact that "Dr" Laura is a cunt. That word, foul as it is, was practically invented for her! Her picture should be next to "cunt" in the dictionary! It's not a controversial opinion. The Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. "Dr" Laura is a cunt. If it doesn't apply to her then WHO, for God's sake, does it apply to?! Either wipe that word out of all human memory or admit that "Dr" Laura Schlessinger is, in fact, a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6908/17/2010

Hardly, r3. That will help but OP's going to have to actively seek relief or it will take a long time to "heel" on its own (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

I have had plantar fasciitis for years. Once you have it, you are prone to flare-ups. Inactivity is your worst enemy. You need to start stretching your feet and calves, OP.

Probably the easiest and best thing you can do is get a tennis ball and a golf ball. Roll your feet on them (while sitting, obviously). It may hurt at first but you're loosening up the tissue and stretching the fascia. Start with the tennis ball and roll the feet until it stops hurting or your feet feel loose. Then used the golf ball and do the same. Use the balls every day, first thing in the morning and just before bed at night. After a couple of weeks, you should begin to feel relief.

I find the ball therapy to be enough for me but you can also do towel stretches. Basically, sit on your ass with legs stretched in front of you. Loop a towel around the ball of your foot and pull back, stretching your calf. Any movement that stretches your calf will help.

All of that will be moot if you keep wearing the same shoes, though. You need orthotic inserts. I know that when my shoes start to wear out, my plantar fasciitis starts acting up. How long has it been since you bought new shoes? You should rotate between wearing two pairs of shoes, OP, and wearing different kinds of shoes when you can. For instance, dress shoes one day and comfortable, casual shoes the next.

Also get plenty of exercise. I have problems with my P.F. when I start skipping my workouts. I know it hurts like a mo-fo but do the ball therapy and it will make all the difference in the world. And it's cheap.

by Anonymousreply 7008/17/2010

R66, I actually have fun with the fact that VFFs are conversation starters. I'm too shy otherwise. I'm the same as you, can't stand to have anything else on my feet now. I love the ground feel, and much improved sense of balance I get from it. I've had knee surgery, and this helps me feel way less wobbly.

by Anonymousreply 7108/17/2010

Oh and do NOT inject cortisone into your heel. That shit is temporary and doesn't address the underlying problem: your foot and leg mechanics. Cortisone also builds up in joints and can eventually crystallize and cause a whole other set of problems for you. Just don't do it!

by Anonymousreply 7208/17/2010

How the hell can one wear these in public? At work?

Out to dinner?

by Anonymousreply 7308/18/2010

You stop sweating the small stuff, or what people think, and enjoy life.

Oh, and coordinate your shoes to the outfits.

by Anonymousreply 7408/18/2010

I wanna be on the thread R69 is on!

by Anonymousreply 7508/18/2010

OP is MHB. Don't help him.

by Anonymousreply 7608/18/2010

You certainly couldn't wear those toe-shoes out to a nice restuarant....

by Anonymousreply 7708/18/2010

You just wear them R73. You get stares and comments, but most people are curious. Some have seen them on TV.

If you're living in comfort shoes/sneakers because of your feet already it will be an easy transition. My colleagues know I wear "ugly" shoes to save my feet. My lifestyle is pretty casual anyway so they work for me.

If your office is very formal and you dine out in fancy restaurants I suppose the snobs might make you feel bad. If you're into shoes as fashion, no, they won't suit your lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 7808/18/2010

You must be a man, r66.

by Anonymousreply 7908/18/2010

How on earth would a woman be able to wear those shoes at work? Or out to dinner???!!

by Anonymousreply 8008/18/2010

Great info, r70 / r72. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 8108/18/2010

"Among non-athletic populations, it is associated with a high body mass index."

OP is a fattie.

by Anonymousreply 8208/18/2010

R79, I agree with what R66 said, and I'm a woman.

by Anonymousreply 8308/18/2010

SO what do you wear those with?

Pants?

Jeans?

Shorts?

A skirt?

by Anonymousreply 8408/18/2010

No-one blinks at those funky looking shoes in my neck of the woods.

Have flat feet and had the start of Plantar Fasciitis mainly from stamping up and down San Francisco hills in cheap shoes-for years and years. No more Vans!! Young people wear good looking awful shoes that WILL wreck your feet.

Agree with many. Rolled the heels on cold cans, icing and elavating works self massage foot soaks. Over the counter inserts for every pair no more cheap kicks currently enjoying Clarks and New Balance.

Now no foot pain I go barefoot at home or wear orthonic house slippers; for the rest of my life have to pamper my feet ... youth is wasted on the young.

by Anonymousreply 8508/18/2010

I've had Plantar Fasciitis for the past year and a half. I tried everything, but nothing worked. I finally purchased some arch supports and a brace that stretches the muscle overnight. Both seem to be working. The pain is completely gone, I can walk around normally again. However, I do I still need to ice down the foot, if I do a lot more walking than normal. But I've only been wearing them for about 2 months. Hopefully after 6 months I won't need them anymore. You can purchase the arch and night brace over the internet.

by Anonymousreply 8608/18/2010

R84, I'm usually in jeans or semi-formal pants. My workplace is pretty relaxed about the dress code. My co-workers have mostly reacted with a combination of amusement and interest. There have even been a few people who have been intrigued enough to try it out, but mostly for gym use.

by Anonymousreply 8708/18/2010

I am glad they help, but damn do they ever look like 'monkey feet'!!

by Anonymousreply 8808/19/2010

And...

by Anonymousreply 8908/20/2010

Picture MHB in those toe-shoes.

by Anonymousreply 9008/20/2010

I had a cortisone shot in my heel (for a bone spur), and it was about the worst thing I've ever had done to me awake (worst than an arterial gas blood test where they went thru a nerve to get to,.. That WAS the worst thing ever done to me awake)

Did work however for the pain caused by the spur.

I had horrible Plantar Fasciitis... My problem was my shoes. I changed to a better supporting shoe for daily wear, and the problem went away. Took a few months, but it's gone.

by Anonymousreply 9108/20/2010

SHots are bad/

by Anonymousreply 9208/22/2010

j

by Anonymousreply 9309/16/2010

On the subject of feet - Does having a positive Babinki sign in my right foot means I'm screwed?%0D

by Anonymousreply 9409/16/2010

How's the PF, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9509/18/2010

I developed PF and was miserable. I got the custom orthotics and they didn't work all that well for me. I eventually started wearing Finn Comforts all the time and their support system worked quite well.

I have bought Drew Shoes for dress and can wear them for an evening. I can occasionally wear my old shoes at work for a day at a time. The link for men's therapeutic shoes at Drew is below.

by Anonymousreply 9609/18/2010

I know of 2 people who swear by those Skechers Shape Ups for PF. They said it takes the pressure off the heel and was the only way they could find relief.

by Anonymousreply 9709/18/2010

I blame Mr. Peanut

by Anonymousreply 9809/18/2010

Troll-dar reveals that OP is misshelenbedd.

I couldn't wish plantar fasciitis on a more deserving person.

by Anonymousreply 9909/18/2010

The shots don't work. Get ready to wear crocs all the time. I do.

by Anonymousreply 10009/18/2010

Are crocs hard or sort of cushiony?

I've never tried a pair on.

by Anonymousreply 10109/18/2010

Cushiony, with wonderful arch supports. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 10209/18/2010

I think PF is related to arthritis. It's like an unwanted painful inflammation of the feet usually in or around the arches. I'm just speculating but the pain can be intense, and the feet are usually fucked up in the morning, cold surfaces, hard surfaces, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10309/18/2010

R102, crocs look like they are made of hard plastic - but they are actually cushiony??

How can that be?

by Anonymousreply 10409/18/2010

OP, get your affairs in order, your gonna die........ eventually! Sorry, but this was kinda funny reading through. I know its very painful for you, but it is kinda chuckly.

Anyway, I swear by the Sketchers. I have nine deteriorating disks in my back from neck all the way down. I cannot stand up for more than 5 mins. Walk? Most times I need support just to walk. But those sketchers really make it easier on my nerve system. The pain is always there and I am on Fentanyl and Ocycontin on a daily basis along with other medications for my condition. The sketchers are inexpensive and deliver on their promise.

by Anonymousreply 10509/18/2010

WHICH Skechers??

They have, like, a hundred different styles!

by Anonymousreply 10609/18/2010

R104, they're made of some sort of rubbery foam-like material. They are truly the most comfortable shoes ever, just not exactly fashionable.

R106, probably the Shape-Ups.

by Anonymousreply 10709/18/2010

R99 = Alice Marple

by Anonymousreply 10809/18/2010

OP/ MHB just go to the store and try on a pair of crocs. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 10909/18/2010

I aint no fuckin lexbon and I aint wearin no croks.

by Anonymousreply 11009/18/2010

It's not like we're telling you to use a cane.

by Anonymousreply 11109/18/2010

It's probably a tumor.

by Anonymousreply 11209/18/2010

You are a maroon, mhb.

by Anonymousreply 11309/19/2010

A sad, lonely, bitter maroon.

by Anonymousreply 11409/20/2010

It's insidious. I was fine until 1992, when I bought a pair of K-Swiss shoes that looked good. I got PF within a day, and I still have it.

Three rounds of cortisone injections, streching, NSAIDS, custom made arch supports...all for nothing. It continues to this day. All from swtiching shoes.

by Anonymousreply 11509/20/2010

What shoes do you wear now?

by Anonymousreply 11609/20/2010

A lot if people are giving some pretty absolute answers here "gone on a few weeks with insoles!" Which is bullshit. I've had it for 9mths now, done everything(insoles, cortisone, rest, ice, acupuncture, trigger point, exercises) and its never come rely went away. Now it's flaring up again!

by Anonymousreply 11703/07/2013

I think I had this a few years ago. I did some,exercises i looked up online and also lost a bit of weight. it seemed to help because it went away.

by Anonymousreply 11803/07/2013

I threw away the shoes I was wearing when mine flared up. That was the #1 problem.

I got excellent insoles with arch supports.

I bought walking shoes with a lot of support and cushioning. I wear them on my way to and from work.

I rolled a very soft ball around and under the arch of my foot and I spent a lot of time stretching out the muscle in the back of my calf/ankle.

That took care of the problem, but I continue to wear only comfort shoes with good arch support and cushioning. I also stretch the backs of my legs whenever I'm sitting. It's been more than three years without a recurrence.

by Anonymousreply 11903/07/2013

March 9, 2013

Plantar fasciitis. If you haven't had to deal with it personally, just ask around. Chances are you know lots of people who can describe it in great detail: stabbing heel pain and agonizing steps followed by a frustratingly slow recovery. Plantar fasciitis — an inflammation of the plantar facsia, a thick band of tissue that runs along the arch from the heel to the toes — has become so ubiquitous that podiatrists can practically make the diagnosis before a patient even sets foot in their office.

"I see 18 to 20 patients a day with plantar fasciitis. Heel pain is epidemic," says Michael King, a podiatrist practicing in Fall River, Mass., and the immediate past president of the American Podiatric Medical Assn. He can only guess how many more cases are out there. "Some people just tolerate the pain and try to get by."

Like Pau Gasol, perhaps. The L.A. Laker had been bothered all season by plantar fasciitis in his right foot, but in a game last month he tore the plantar fascia and was expected to be out of play for about two months. "It's not uncommon for it to occur for a patient who has had plantar fasciitis in the past," said Keith Feder, a Manhattan Beach orthopedic surgeon.

Plantar fasciitis has become a mark of modern life, but it's far from inevitable. According to King, heel pain could become a relative rarity, assuming we are willing to take better care of our feet.

It's definitely something you'd rather avoid given the choice. If your plantar fascia gets inflamed, you'll probably feel knife-like heel pain as soon as your feet hit the floor in the morning. The pain generally eases throughout the day, but some people wince with practically every step.

Blame the shoes

Elizabeth Kurtz, a podiatrist who practices in Chicago, says that many people punish their feet with flat, flimsy shoes that don't support the arch. "Flip-flops seem to be a major source of foot pain," she says. Worn-out shoes that have lost their cushioning are another culprit.

"People walk into the office wearing shoes that they should have replaced months ago," she says.

King has noticed similar trends. "I see a lot of people with pain in the fall because they've been wearing cheap flip-flops all summer," he says.

Plantar fasciitis often strikes runners and serious walkers, especially if they've recently started going much faster or farther than their feet were accustomed to, says Jay Hertel, professor of sports medicine at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville. It also shows up in a lot of sedentary middle-aged people carrying a little extra weight, he says.

Whether they took the hard or easy road to plantar fasciitis, people are desperate for relief. Many try wearing heel cushions under the sore spot, but that misses the point, King says. "Heel cushions have little effect," he says. "It's an arch problem, not a heel problem."

Insoles ease pain

Orthotic insoles that support the arch can definitely help ease the pain, Hertel says. You could buy over-the-counter versions at any drugstore (Dr. Scholl's is one popular brand) or get a custom-made device from a doctor. But a prescription-strength insole may not be a real upgrade. A 2009 study published by Hertel and colleagues in the journal Physical Therapy and Sport found that people with plantar fasciitis enjoyed similar levels of relief no matter where their insole came from.

"It didn't seem to matter if they were over-the-counter or custom-made," Hertel says. "The results were the same. And over-the-counter products are a lot cheaper."

More than anything, King says, people with plantar fasciitis just have to give their feet a chance to recover on their own. He has a few simple guidelines. First of all: no going barefoot, and no flimsy flip-flops. (Flip-flops or sandals with arch support are fine.) He encourages patients to put on footwear with some arch support before even getting out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 12003/09/2013

Runners or walkers with plantar fasciitis should definitely make sure their footwear is up to the task. "If you exercise regularly, you need to change your shoes every three or four months," King says. "Even if they look great on the outside, the support on the inside can wear out."

For treatment, stretching is frequently recommended, but there are other options. A growing number of foot doctors offer to treat plantar fasciitis with "shock wave" therapy, which involves blasting the heel with a high-intensity ultrasound beam. King says that the technology — which, when pointed elsewhere, can also be used to break up kidney stones — can reduce pain and inflammation in the heel, although nobody's quite sure why. Likewise, some doctors treat plantar fasciitis with low-level lasers. Some say it works, but King notes that the procedure hasn't been thoroughly studied and the evidence behind it is very slim.

Some people resort to an operation that cuts away overly tight parts of the fascia. But King says very few of his patients ever end up going under the knife. "Almost nobody needs surgery," he says.

In other words, if you suffer from knife-like heel pain, you probably won't need a real knife in your heel. Now that's a relief.

by Anonymousreply 12103/09/2013

I've been using Sketchers Shape-ups and my feet are 100% better. I've been purchasing several back up pairs as sketchers stopped making them.

I think there is a similar shoe made MBT sold by the walking company. They don;t look great on the gold course but they allow me to walk 18-27 or 36 holes in a day and I'm 58.

by Anonymousreply 12203/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.