Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Terrible Companies

Places you have worked and found they are not good to their employees.%0D %0D I will start L'Occitane. They are not employee friendly, they have many strict rules that border ridicules, they cut you no slack, example getting a flat tire on the way to work which makes you late for work and you are written up. There is no sympathy for you and they want no excuses. If you clock in one minute late you are chastized. They want you to force a sale pitch on the customer to the point where customers actually have said "are you guys a cult or something" and " are you guys part of Hitler regime". I will start L'Occitane. They are not employee friendly, they have many strict rules that border ridicules, they cut you no slack, example getting a flat tire on the way to work which makes you late for work and you are written up. There is no sympathy for you and they want no excuses. If you clock in one minute late you are chastised. They want you to force a sale pitch on the customer to the point where customers actually have said "are you guys a cult or something" and " are you guy%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s part of Hitler regime". The pay rate is a joke for that amount of blood, sweat and tears they want from you, they will use you, make you acting manager while they are in the process of looking for a new manager and when you inquire about applying for an assistants position you are told you are not ready for the position, but yet you are good enough to be acting manager while they are pursuing a manager to run the store. They renege on offers, gifts and contests. One manager won a trip on a cruise and when it was time to collect they choose not to reward the winner with the trip. Plus much, much more.

by Anonymousreply 12509/28/2013

Sorry, not sure what happen with the post and it's repeating.

by Anonymousreply 108/12/2010

Everything about L'Occitane is fake, so ths doesn't surprise me at all. The phrase "it's ALL marketing" comes to mind.

How long did you last there?

by Anonymousreply 208/12/2010

They sound horrible OP. Isn't there some labor law or something they are breaking somewhere? It's a french company right?

by Anonymousreply 308/12/2010

this is a variation on why unions were formed.

it sounds like a horrible place to work. hope you quit.

by Anonymousreply 408/12/2010

I left for a better paying job with much better treatment and benefits.

by Anonymousreply 508/12/2010

I'll tell you one thing, those cinnamon-orange candles sure do smell good.

by Anonymousreply 608/12/2010

They are a French company. I hear that in Europe the company is run a lot better; it's the corporate over here in the states that needs to learn how to treat people. It's stereotypical situation with L'Occitane and I am sure many other companies, in Europe they know how to balance work and life and here in the states it's all about greed and being on top that counts. Not to say Europe has the market on how to make a better life. But...

by Anonymousreply 708/12/2010

Spread the word Lacky Tacky is cruel to humans.

by Anonymousreply 808/12/2010

[quote]They are a French company.

They are but they are also a franchise operation these days not a direct retailer.

Most companies are better to work for in Europe because of our far stronger employee protection.

by Anonymousreply 908/12/2010

For a company that deals in "natural" products they're incredibly wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 1008/12/2010

Frontier Communications.%0D %0D I worked in their Stamford office for several months and left in the Spring. Awful, awful place. Chaotic and unprofessional. And they burn people out. Turnover rate there is high. %0D %0D Avoid this place at all costs. There are some really f**ked up people working there.

by Anonymousreply 1108/12/2010

Comcast.

I canceled my service when I got DirecTV.

I've received eight calls (so far) asking me to rejoin.

I arranged for someone to pick up my DVR box. More than six of Comcast's independent contractors called me to pick it up, even after it was gone.

They turned my account over to a collection agency BEFORE they even sent me my last bill.

by Anonymousreply 1208/12/2010

r11, Citizens bit off too much when they bought Frontier. Then they bought Commonwealth, my locally-owned phone company in Pennsylvania. Since then the people you talk to in the Business Office and Repair service are a hundreds of miles away and they are clueless.

by Anonymousreply 1308/12/2010

R10 & R11 that is so true, they are big with their talk about eco this and natural that but the waste the cause is cancels out their eco this and natural that.

by Anonymousreply 1408/12/2010

GMHC has become a fucking nightmare under the current leadership. $5.7 million just taken in for AIDS Walk, but still they are firing people delivering services to clients, even as they hire more and more management. It's disgusting what this board and Executive Director have done to the agency.

by Anonymousreply 1508/12/2010

Arthur Andersen was a HORRIBLE place to work. No one was happier than I when they went down in the Enron scandal. They deserved it.

by Anonymousreply 1608/12/2010

"RGIS Inventory Services". The RGIS stands for Retail Grocery Inventory Service.

Yes, their name is "Retail Grocery Inventory Service Inventory Services." I should have taken that as a hint.

Here's how they worked: say you have two medium-sized cities 100 miles apart, named Town A and Town B (I am VERY creative). They took all the workers from Town A and bussed them to Town B to do a 3 to 4 hour inventory, and vice versa. Then they say they aren't going to pay for the first hour of commute time (EACH way). And they'll only pay minimum wage for the commute time they do pay for. Oh, but it's not the current minimum wage, it's a very old minimum wage rate, even though that's illegal, because they "haven't updated the system yet".

So you're in the bus or van for 3 hours to work 3 or 4 hours. For that 6 or 7 hours of work, you get paid the equivalent of about 3.5 or 4.5 hours, and the pay is shit to begin with. They do not tell you this is the pay/commuting situation up front. Then the supervisors complain about all the people they trained who quit after the first paycheck arrives. The only long-term employees are the ones who stay because the job never requires a drug test, and they literally have no place else to go. The district I (very briefly) worked for as a second job was overrun with meth addicts. Gee, I wonder why.

And why the fuck would you completely swap all the workers from two towns instead of letting them work in their own town? They seem so afraid of employees "casing" a local shop for a robbery that they'll burn through thousands of gallons of gas a year and deal with the constant nationwide lawsuits they get over unpaid/underpaid hours. Here's a brilliant yet simple idea, stop hiring meth addicts and, if the store to be inventoried is in Town A, HIRE THE CREW THAT LIVES THERE. It'll be okay. They won't burn the store to the ground just because they weren't bounced around in a backache-inducing van for 70 minutes without pay before they got there. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 1808/13/2010

"Citizens bit off too much when they bought Frontier."%0D %0D Well, Frontier just acquired a large chunk of Verizon's footprint in the midwest and a few other places, so I really wonder if they'll just implode. Would serve them right if they did.

by Anonymousreply 1908/13/2010

by Anonymousreply 2008/13/2010

Leapforce

They make you read about 150 pages a week and watch about 3hrs of video a week for "training" and training is of course unpaid, because you should "already know" these things before starting a task. the little snippets they place before a task are also unpaid and lower your productivity rate.

Then they give you two word performance reviews that leave you running in circles trying to figure out what they meant. Also, you have to track your own time-card because despite all the advanced tech software they make you download to work for them, they are incapable of clocking how long you've worked.

by Anonymousreply 2108/13/2010

"If you clock in one minute late you are chastised."

Right -- that's how it works. You're expected to be on time, lazy ass.

by Anonymousreply 2208/13/2010

SunTrust Mortgage in Richmond, VA. My husband was hired for one position in a newly-formed unit. Little to no training provided. Then they decided he should be placed in a different position (not what he was trained for). Put him on the phones right away. The rules for what you could say to customers changed almost hourly, sometimes when you were on a call. If you said the wrong (old) thing, supervisor was there immediately to reprimand you and write you up. Clocking back into the phones even one minute late from a break caused you to be written up. Husband put in for vacation time, which was approved, when a close out-of-town family member had to have very serious surgery. When family member had trouble coming out of anesthesia and it looked like he wouldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t make it, husband called supervisor to request extra days. Never heard back from supervisor and when he returned to work, was written up for taking unauthorized leave. Now each time he was written up, it meant he couldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t receive any bonus pay that his group qualified for, for 30 days to 6 months, depending on the reason. Thirty days after he returned from %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9Cunauthorized leave%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D (when he was finally able to receive bonuses), he was written up again because he didn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t use the current script on a call (this meant no bonus for 6 months). I begged him to quit because one more write-up would have resulted in him being fired, and he was working towards all his team members getting a bonus that he wouldn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t qualify for. He handed in his resignation, worked out his day, and left without the supervisor or manager saying one word to him. Most employees were treated this way, except for the supervisor%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s friends. Some employees ended up being carried out by EMTs. Turnover was unbelievable. Toxic environment much??

by Anonymousreply 2308/13/2010

MUCH???

by Anonymousreply 2408/13/2010

you all should write reviews on glassdoor.com

by Anonymousreply 2508/13/2010

Wow. This thread makes me realize how lucky I have it. I'm an admin. at a graduate school and it is pretty cushy - at least, compared to these stories.

by Anonymousreply 2608/13/2010

It's all just a little bit of history repeating.

by Anonymousreply 2708/15/2010

I was out of work for nearly six months this year and took a job that pays 8K less than I was making at the law firm that I was laid off from.

I'm glad I'm working again but I know I'll bail the second I land a gig that pays close to what I was making before.

by Anonymousreply 2808/15/2010

Borders. Borders is horrible and getting worse by the month.

by Anonymousreply 2908/15/2010

Its an employers market right now and they are being very stupid. The pendulum will swing back as as the poster before me put it, "I'm bailing the minute I find...." many people are feeling exactly the same.%0D %0D Also employers are being dangerous with employment law. Employers cannot NOT pay you for training time, its paid time. Nor can they not pay you for time spent on a commute in their company vehicles, you're on their time. Nor can they pay you less than the minimum wage either Federal or State whichever is GREATER. By the way folks, it costs you nothing to file a grievance with either a state or federal labor office. Look em up in your phone directory or on line. Sometimes you can file the grievance on line. But, don't let em get away with it. They trust in that its an employers market and everyone is just lucky to have a job.

by Anonymousreply 3008/15/2010

I'm sure they did hate you, R17. I hate you too, and I've never met you.

by Anonymousreply 3108/15/2010

Monsanto

by Anonymousreply 3208/15/2010

Huffington Post's paid moderators are now paid by the number of posts they delete. Ariana runs the shop with an iron fist. Writers and editors must anticipate conform to Ariana's frequently changing prejudices. Ariana makes Anna Wintour seem sane by contrast.

Stay away!

by Anonymousreply 3308/15/2010

Any airline that is unionized. They all have lazy employees who don't give a shit about their customers

by Anonymousreply 3408/15/2010

I'll fly with a unionized airline that pays its employees well before I'll fly with a non-union airlines that only pays its pilots $27,000/year

by Anonymousreply 3508/15/2010

Have to agree about Borders. I worked there for 10 months and quit.They treat their employees like crap. I will not elaborate. Bad for my blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 3608/15/2010

Bronx Zoo. Minimum wage for seasonal help. Crappy management and supervisors who are far too young to be supervisors and let it get to their head. Write-ups if you even breathe funny.%0D %0D No wonder at a recent after-party from the zoo's annual staff party, the seasonal help were doing drugs, hooking up and getting blitzed with reckless abandon. You would too.

by Anonymousreply 3708/15/2010

Fuck you 31. You are a fucking ignorant pig, that I'm glad I'll never meet. YOU SUCK, and I'll bet your IQ is as pathetic as your post. You are the ignorant bigot. CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 3808/15/2010

R31, if you don't like the true personal experiences that people on this board are posting about....LEAVE!

by Anonymousreply 3908/15/2010

OP, you're right about L'Occitaine. I know someone that worked there and they have an electronic counter at the door that the corporate offices can moniter. ...she would get calls from the corporate office scolding her because they could see that 20 people had been in the store in the last hour or two and why did she only have 3 sales... but it would be groups of 3 or 4 people at a time.

by Anonymousreply 4008/16/2010

...monitor

by Anonymousreply 4108/16/2010

I would say 90% of them.

In this country, especially these days, companies will do whatever they can get away with as unions have become so weak.

by Anonymousreply 4208/16/2010

Making run fast shoes for America is clouds of bliss! Even when moon shine silver on late shift, bright dawn soon shines its rays on my whirring Singer. Happy joy everlasting!

by Anonymousreply 4308/16/2010

Not me, but my then boyfriend. He worked for Sprint back in the late 90's and early 00,'s they were running manager training classes that specifically taught managers how to screw people out of their sick days, keep them from filing workman's comp, how most easily and efficiently to fire people, and how to prevent unions from coming in.

About that time too, they hired Mike Stout from GE to be the hatchet man while they started off-shoring their IT departments. They used IBM to hide the personnel moves, somehow, I didn't understand it at the time. It was basically to do the actual off-shoring so they could escape criticism.

Six months later they'd decimated all the programmers they had, the code they were getting from their off-shored "employees" was shit, and it didn't work. So then they couldn't understand why all the people they'd screwed and fired, wouldn't come back when asked to.

Miserable, evil fuckers. By the time the BF finally gave up and left, he had an ulcer, high-blood pressure, and migraine headaches.

by Anonymousreply 4408/16/2010

Cerner. Creepy creepy creepy. "Campus" is more like jail - they even put in sleeping quarters for their employees and expect them to sleep there.

by Anonymousreply 4508/16/2010

The Advocate (LPI Media). Passed down from one crazy owner to the next. The most tense, cliquish place I've ever worked, with employees all hating management but still watching each other, 1984-style, for any perceived disloyalty to the boss.

I had thought (oh foolish me) that it might be a good break to get out of the sinking ship of mainstream journalism and into a more progressive environment. By the end of three months I was applying for jobs somewhere, anywhere else, and when I got one and gave my notice the same people who would sit around and bitch about wanting to get out of there cut me dead.

I don't know how the women took it -- as a guy, I saw up close what true gay-male misogyny looks like and it was painful to hear the way women were discussed when they weren't around. I'm not talking about the Michfest kind of thing, either...there was just vicious hatred for perfectly nice people because they had vaginas

by Anonymousreply 4608/16/2010

i heart r31.

by Anonymousreply 4708/16/2010

And you're an idiot passive-aggressive hick R47.

by Anonymousreply 4808/16/2010

Corporations by their very nature are disfunctional and antihuman entities. I loathe corporate culture with a passion, but it's gotten far worse and more regimented in recent years as the power of HR departments and their fucked-up frau micromanagement mindset and methodologies have grown like a cancer. Things were MUCH easier and more free wheeling in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 4908/16/2010

Some corporations work; I am lucky to be in one now. SO glad I moved into the corporate world from the non-profit world, where most of the time, they fuck with your mind.

I worked for the YMCA (I'm a woman) which is essentially a cult. It's a worldwide Christian missionary movement, and if you have a management level position, you sign a "letter of call" which basically says God called you to work there.

Using that as a whipping stick, you're expected to work long hours with few resources and take any kind of treatment your branch director doles out. Many of the managers are "lifers" in the Y who were recruited early and went to Springfield College (MA), where they were groomed to be Y leaders.

The group itself was started by a titled Englishman to provide "safe harbor" for sailors in port. It's always had that aspect brought front and center in the song YMCA (guys getting laid).

I knew plenty of decent programming people at the Y, who truly felt they were meant to be helping people. That attitude generally vanished when they got to the upper echelons of branch management, and they either sold their ethics for a high position, or the corporate office installed second-class Masters of the Universe wannabes.

Ugh. 10 years later, I still have bad dreams about it.

by Anonymousreply 5008/16/2010

r50, does that go for summer camp counselors and staff?

by Anonymousreply 5108/16/2010

R16, I used to work for another company that contracted AA. They had an entire floor in our building. We used to call them the Arthur Androids. They would all start arriving to work looking like identical clones to each other. Did they have a uniform they were encouraged to wear?

by Anonymousreply 5208/16/2010

[R50] Sometimes it does go for the summer camp staff...if a kid seems promising as an older camper or Counselor in Training, he (it's usually a he) will get a bit more attention, offers of part-time jobs, start hearing about Springfield College, told that a counselor position will be waiting for them the next summer, etc.%0D %0D The whistle-blowing mouthbreather as coach/counselor is also present as a younger, and sometimes older adult.%0D %0D I went to a training once (in Springfield!) where they praised our group from NYC, because we weren't weird, like they thought we'd be. %0D %0D Also, I once approached a midwestern Y about an arts program (I was a staffer for a literary arts program), and was told: no, we're not interested in that, we're a NORMAL Y.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5308/16/2010

more please.

by Anonymousreply 5408/16/2010

What's wrong with Restoration Hardware? They advertise very frequently for all positions here in Toronto, almost every day on Craigslist. My feeling is that they cannot keep staff, and I wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 5508/16/2010

Macy's

by Anonymousreply 5608/16/2010

R55 I'm not an employee of Restoration but I think retail especially high end retail is pushing employees to be pushy in order to make sales. For some reason management seems to think the salesperson being in your face will make a sale.%0D %0D I went into West Elm and was about to slap the salesperson but decided to ask her to allow me to look around and if I needed anything I would find her. After she left so did I.

by Anonymousreply 5708/16/2010

"Did they [Arthur Anderson] have a uniform they were encouraged to wear?"%0D %0D Pretty much. A friend interviewed for them before they went bust, and they outlines their insane dress code. She couldn't wear anything but conservative suits in dark colors, and they had rules for necklines, skirt length, heel height, hairstyles, jewelry, etc. %0D %0D She is still happy that she turned down their offer.

by Anonymousreply 5808/16/2010

Disney employees don't call their place of employment "Mauschwitz" for nothing. I only worked there briefly but a good friend was a corporate attorney who planned on retiring from there. Her psychologist told her to quit and she's never been happier.%0D %0D Not sure if they still do this, but Disney doesn't fire people. It's just not who they are, you see. Instead, if they want you gone, they will reduce your hours and give other people your responsiblities. You'll come in one hour a week and be given nothing to do. Pretty soon, you're getting written up for not doing anything in order to earn your paycheck. Clever, eh?%0D %0D MetLife insurance treats their employees like crap. You come in in the morning to find a colored piece of paper turned face down on your chair. When you flip it over, you read all about the new task(s) you're responsible for due to downsizing in other departments. No where on the memo does it mention an increase in compensation of course. I used to dread coming in and seeing those colored sheets of paper on all those chairs--you could spot them from the elevator. What a way to start a day.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5908/16/2010

Earthlink was terrible. Especially b/c I saw what it was like as MindSpring before Earthlink bought them. It's true, the founder is a Scientologist and while I never saw anything Scientology going on it did seem like appearances were everything including the fact that promotions seemed based solely on how good looking someone was. There were gorgeous supervisors who were stymied by the absolute basics of computers.

They also spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on complete bullshit and new product roll outs and big pageants to tell us that our jobs weren't going anywhere and then a few weeks later when everyone was comfortable we received word that all of our jobs were headed to India. There was a lot of other bullshit but I started drinking at lunch and have blocked a lot of it out.

by Anonymousreply 6008/16/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 6108/16/2010

Back in the 90's, I worked for Crate & Barrel as a department manager. I really enjoyed my job, the people I worked with, and the store itself. After working there for two years, I had been a manager of all the departments (they rotate you every six months). At my review, they told me I needed to move into an office or store manager position. At the time, I lived in downtown Chicago and did not own a car, relying on public transportation. They said there were no positions in any of the Chicago stores but there was a position in a store in the far north suburb. I explained my situation with not having a car. They suggested I buy one and then went and told me that I could take a train, transfer to a bus, and then walk 7 blocks to the store. When I told them no, they said I either had to take one of those positions or consider finding a job elsewhere. When I asked them why they wouldn't want someone who knew the merchandise, displays, etc. to return to an old department in the store, they said they only wanted people in those positions who were interested in moving into office or store management positions. I was so flabbergasted, I went home and never returned.

by Anonymousreply 6208/17/2010

I was so flabbergasted!

by Anonymousreply 6308/17/2010

By: R17- "IBM was awful. Overall, they have some good benefits for gay couples, but in the area that I was in, it was PITTSville. Worked with a black woman who hated me. (I am fair, blonde) Her & her black friend did nothing but try to cause problems for me. I left & have never looked back. IBM sucks. As with most corporate companies, alot of the management that is hired is the bottom of the pit."%0D %0D Your awful exprience at IBM was reduced to your bad relationship with 2 black female co-workers? Are you serious? Do you realize how often as a beautiful black woman ( think Paula Patton) I am ostracized, criticized and sabotaged by jealous white women co-workers? That is not about my company; that's about assholes that I work with. If I left a job everytime I experience this, I probably would never work.%0D %0D Please, that part of your experience had very little to do with how much IBM sucked. Keep you rant against IBM to their corporate actions vis-a-vis workers (which was the point of the thread) not your own petty greivance as the put-upon poor "don't hate me because I am a pretty blond white girl".%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6408/17/2010

I don't work there but for some fascinating insight into the bizarre culture at Netflix, check out glassdoor.

by Anonymousreply 6508/17/2010

Anything owned by GE is the devil.

by Anonymousreply 6608/17/2010

"Instead, if they want you gone, they will reduce your hours and give other people your responsiblities. You'll come in one hour a week and be given nothing to do. Pretty soon, you're getting written up for not doing anything in order to earn your paycheck. Clever, eh?"%0D %0D Does anyone know how to fight back against this sort of thing? I've heard of other companies pulling this, and it seems quite effective against the worker... Someone must have devised a way to counter it, though, right?

by Anonymousreply 6708/17/2010

Most states are "at will" states which means an employer can fire a worker for whatever reason (not counting illegally firing someone due to race, etc). Of course, there ways around even firing 'protected' classes.

Other than a forming a union, I'm not sure what options are available. It's very, very hard to fight the corporate beast. And as most people know, HR is there for managers, not the average worker.

Strikes, worker walkouts - all those seem so quaint now. Thanks fuck-face Reagan for firing the traffic controllers which pretty much ended those practices.

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2010

R68:

You nailed it. A union is the only thing that will protect you -- it will get you a contract that will protect against stuff like the Disney B.S.

When Reagan busted PATCO it was his first act in office -- an important symbolic occasion. It was his message that corporations were free to bust unions.

And how about his speech opening his first campaign for the Presidency? He chose Philadelphia, Mississippi, just miles from where Chaney, Schwerner, and Goodman were murdered. He lauded states' rights in his speech. Sweet guy, huh?

That's the Republican hero.

by Anonymousreply 6908/18/2010

R17 - my cousin worked for IBM and got treated pretty badly. He got a new manager who seemed interested in hiring young talent, so she created all kinds of shit for my cousin in order to get rid of him. He also suspected that they wanted to find ways to fire him before his pension would kick in. He was straight out harassed. I remember he took a scheduled vacation to fly to a family reunion with his daughters, and she tried to make him cancel it for some really bullshit reason. She wrote him up for still going, and used excuses such as he wasn't a team player, blah, blah, blah. After that particular incident, he took stress leave and named her in all sort of official complaints, and even had emails from her to back up what a beyotch she was - none of that helped or mattered. I suppose he could have gotten a lawyer to defend himself, but it probably wouldn't have been worth it in the end. He rode it out for a couple years taking stress leaves until he could take an early retirement package.

by Anonymousreply 7008/18/2010

Fuck you 64. You don't know the how to's of the experiences and how blatant it was..by the way, YOU SUCK. The black girls were treated better and were not sabotaged, and by the way, I never caused problems with anyone.%0D %0D Did I mention you are an ignorant bitch? %0D %0D IBM does SUCK and SO DO YOU. %0D %0D You're a smart & pretty black girl. Yep, sure you are. Next time keep your rant to yourself. If you can't take it, cunt, don't dish it.

by Anonymousreply 7108/18/2010

R70, I'm sorry for what your cousin had to endure. IBM is really the pits, their management really is mostly scum.

by Anonymousreply 7208/18/2010

[quote]Her & her black friend did nothing but try to cause problems for me. I left & have never looked back. IBM sucks. As with most corporate companies, alot of the management that is hired is the bottom of the pit.

Her and her friend? Alot? They probably were sick of working with someone whose grammar and spelling is so atrocious. The hair-trigger temper's not a great quality in a colleague, either.

by Anonymousreply 7308/18/2010

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR RACE WAR. SHUT UP, BOTH OF YOU.%0D %0D Now, back to the topic, please.

by Anonymousreply 7508/18/2010

CMP Media in San Francisco: I gota job at a video game magazine called Game Developer in 2000 right out of grad school as a production editor - immediately the giant corporation starts buying up magazines left and right and consolodating them in a new building, so overnight we go from bohemian loft space and Friday afternoon Quake marathons to seventh floor cube farm hell. We had all these new regulations and key cards and meetings with marketing - it was just ridiculous. Then the layoffs happened and everything went to hell; it was the worst working experience of my life. I quit after just one year.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7608/18/2010

NO ONE cares about your snark R75.%0D %0D I didn't start it. SO YOU CAN SHUT UP BITCH. Follow your own advice and post regarding your company experiences instead of preaching.

by Anonymousreply 7708/18/2010

Such a charmer, r74/77etc. Hard to imagine why you had problems getting along with your colleagues.

[quote]Your grammar sucks like you.

If there's a grammar error in my post, I invite you to point it out.

[quote]How long did it take for you to look up "atrocious"?

Oh, honey, the fact that you apparently think of "atrocious" as a "big word" says much more about you than me.

[quote]If you don't like it, stay off the board, bitch.

If I don't like what? Your abysmal writing skills? Au contraire, they give me something to jab you about and then I can have the fun of watching your overly sensitive head explode.

by Anonymousreply 7808/18/2010

I like L'Occitane products but only buy them online now. The salespeople are way too pushy and aggressive for my liking. Plus you get more free samples when you order online than they give you when you buy in the store.

by Anonymousreply 7908/18/2010

Borders. Borders Borders Borders. Doesn't matter much now, they won't be around much longer anyway, but damn, if that's not the shittiest company in the US.

Both Borders and Barnes & Noble are being killed by 1)Amazon and its Kindle and 2)Wal-Mart/Target/Costco. Both companies have become obsessed with marketing their own e-readers and ebook stores (B&N's is good but an afterthought; the Borders ereader is sub-See 'n Say) and are sinking into the morass of madness to discover they're too little too late.

by Anonymousreply 8008/18/2010

Wow! Retail sucks!

Who knew?

Oh, that's right. We did.

by Anonymousreply 8108/18/2010

I currently work for IBM and it sucks donkey balls. I 100% believe r70 post.

It use to be one of the BEST companies to work for, now it's one of the worst. It's truly a nightmare. They've off-shored everything that wasn't nailed down (including U.S. employee payroll) and have yearly/sometimes quarterly lay offs. I would NEVER recommend IBM to a recent college grad.

For realistic view of IBM, go to the Alliance website (scroll down to job cuts button) or glassdoor.com website and search on IBM (HR shills write the good review to keep the overall score high)

by Anonymousreply 8208/18/2010

There is no R77, there is only Zhul.

by Anonymousreply 8308/18/2010

I worked for a county-wide library system in cataloguing for 4 1/2 years. Despite survey after survey that said that people (esp. those who vote in millages) used the library system for the personal customer service, the management bought every piece of equipment that they swore would cut costs by automating the system and take the personal customer service out of the equation. Of course that meant constantly changing expectations on the patrons, frustrating them, especially those of a certain age who aren't comfortable with computers and related systems...again, those who vote for library millages.

While I was there they kept the head of the cataloguing department too busy with surveys and projects so that he had no time to actually teach or oversee the cataloguing. For my own use, I put together a handbook on how to catalog. They now give my handbook to all new hires in that dept.

And yet when I applied for a job recently in that very department, they didn't even interview me. And whoever got the job was handed my handbook when they started...

by Anonymousreply 8408/18/2010

[quote]someone whose grammar and spelling is so atrocious.

Well, you asked for a grammar check.

by Anonymousreply 8508/18/2010

Lord & Taylor

aka

Lord & Trailer Trash

by Anonymousreply 8608/18/2010

Oh, 78 is so witty. Just an ignorant, passive-aggressive wanna-be who injected herself into something that she knows nothing about. %0D %0D She's probably an HR shill for IBM. Since you've already posted how smart & great looking YOU ARE , GO peddle YOUR crap somewhere else.%0D %0D Welcome to the DL BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 8708/21/2010

r78 is just an unwelcome troll. IDIOT.

by Anonymousreply 8808/21/2010

Sheesh, r88, you're making even less sense than you did three days ago.

by Anonymousreply 8908/21/2010

Poor R89 doesn't retain the written word. Read the posts; yet again someone posting about something they know nothing about.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9008/21/2010

L'Occitane gave me $200 worth of products back in 2003 when i was a poor student. Their best is the shea butter hand cream.

by Anonymousreply 9108/21/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 9208/21/2010

The worse companies to work for a top law firms. They are soul destroying and will steal all your waking hours.

In retail, the most terrible company I've dealt with is Ikea: returning items to them is like venturing into the ninth circle of Hell. Apart from the fact their customer advice went against consumer laws, they advised me that before buying a product I should locate all the exchange and return policy documentation of the store in question and read it: all Ikea staff do this whenever they buy ANYTHING apparently. They parrot off memorised scripts and will not deviate.

My old college friend was brilliant with bad companies. She has been sent flowers, monetary compensation or a box of products. Her best swag was a huge box of YSL products, when a snotty saleswoman offended her. In the two years I knew her, she had two people dismissed from their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 9308/21/2010

Royal Carribean has a call center here and the few I know who have worked there say it is like being a slave. Only three days off to be sick in a rolling year, one minute late after break and you get a mark too many and it is bye bye and if you are late too work bye bye. Scary.

by Anonymousreply 9408/22/2010

I stopped shopping at IKEA 12 years ago when, after having spent $2K within the same week, went back two weeks later to drop another $500, and the clerk said that the address on my check had to match what was on my driver's license. I'd just moved cross-county (and was furnishing a new place), so of course I didn't have a license with the current address because the new one was still in the mail.

I pointed out that, besides the sign at the register with all of the store policies on it not saying anything about an address, the military IDs that they would also accept had no address on them. Managers were called. I even showed them the receipts for the previous $2K in purchases I'd paid by check just two weeks before. Everyone just kept insisting that their signs said that the address on my check had to match what was on my ID when there was clearly no wording about an address of any type anywhere on their sign. I didn't want to use a credit card and this was before the widespread use of debit cards, so I would have had to pay a bank fee to use my check card at that time. I finally just walked out, fuming and bewildered at the banality of their arguments.

The corporate office responded back to my complaint letter that, though their management team was mistaken about the specific policy, it was their right to request address information "when necessary." I promptly took everything back and got a refund on all of it. Of course, they had to pay me in cash, since I'd written a check. Dicks.

I mailed the refund receipt to the corporate office with a copy of my original letter, their first response, and a short note that said I'd never buy anything from them again. I then included a copy of the receipts from other stores that showed the $4K I'd paid them (it was a big place). I got a second apology letter that sounded more sincere, and a phone message from the store manager asking me to call him so we could "discuss a resolution." I never called back, and they've never gotten another dime from me since, even for a fucking $1 candle.

by Anonymousreply 9508/22/2010

"MetLife insurance treats their employees like crap."

That's interesting info, as my dad worked there for nearly 40 years! He worked at the main office on Madison Avenue, where there were two buildings. He was an electrician, until they started using outside contractors.

He loved his job. Met Life was a company which encouraged their workers to advance, they also paid for college classes, they had a gym and so many other perks. They also had free lunches for all employees. I never remember my father complaining about his job.

I guess you worked there over the past 15-20 years? Around the time my dad took early retirement, MetLife had bought the Pan Am building and they were also beginning their massive downsizing. Then there was the move to Long Island City, which didn't last very long, talk about a waste of money!

From most of the complaints here, I feel lots of their bad treatment of employees is mostly due to the recession, especially where there's no unions, companies today can and do get away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 9608/22/2010

The now defunct Endeavor Talent agency, headed by one DL loves, Ari Emanuel. Acts like a great humanitarian in public, treats his employees like Walmart employees. Plus he believes in that typical CEO behavior - My company, my money, I don't care if I got it through others' broken backs....

by Anonymousreply 9708/22/2010

IBM used to be a great company to work for in the early 80's in the UK. It paid well over the going rate for programmers, respected talent and innovation, was well managed and had no problems with race or sexuality. Yes, it did like tech staff to wear suits, which is unusual in the industry, but I loved working for them.

It's quite sad to hear they aren't a good employer now.

by Anonymousreply 9808/22/2010

IBM is a soul-sucking outsourcing sweatshop.

by Anonymousreply 9908/22/2010

More, please

by Anonymousreply 10008/22/2010

I would suspect with unemployment so high these days that lots of companies are treating their employees like shit. Workers are easily replaced right now.%0D %0D Costco is one of the best companies to work for. They are wonderful to their employees.%0D %0D I wonder what it's like to work for Apple? The employees don't have to give sales pitches because the products sell themselves. All they have to do is ring it up...one right after another. Are they commission-based? Must be the cushiest job in the world.

by Anonymousreply 10208/22/2010

more.

by Anonymousreply 10308/27/2010

HSN (Home Shopoing Network). Infamous for its "churn." It was so bad that when they hired me they put me in a cubicle and told me, "We're so sorry -- this is only temporary. You'll have your own office by next week." I asked around; I mean, all the offices in the department were occupied. People were cagey about answering my inquiry, so I was perplexed. But by Friday afternoon, one of the women with an office was being escorted out of the building. Monday, I got her office.%0D %0D %0D I also used to muse that the people who advanced crawled over dead bodies to get their positions. Employees curried favor by "ratting out" other employees, thereby receiving coveted privileges, like coming in two hours late every morning. Others who wrote SAS code (part of my job as well) would go out of their way to tell us false information about the code and the variables, making sure none of the new people could ever steal one of their jobs.%0D %0D %0D I quit, without another job, after six months.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10408/27/2010

H&R Block. It's just as bad as you might imagine. They want their "valued customers" to sit for hours all crammed into a small space - kids running amok around the office. They want that! I worked at the reception desk for a couple of weeks last season. I tried to organize the schedule so people wouldn't have to wait like cattle and I was yelled at in front of everyone by a lunatic office manager! She exclaimed that I was to keep people in those chairs, no matter how long it took. Horrible place. Never get your taxes done at H&R Block.

I quit on the eve of the biggest tax prep day of the year. Just left my badge on the manager's desk, and walked out into the fresh air. And laughed all the way home.

by Anonymousreply 10508/27/2010

Try being a cashier at the Datalounge cafeteria. I couldn't tell you how many days I go home with Jello salad in my hair.

by Anonymousreply 10608/28/2010

Apple store employees don't get commission.

by Anonymousreply 10708/28/2010

Company bump

by Anonymousreply 10808/30/2010

Any classical music management agency. You name it, it's a bad place to work.

by Anonymousreply 10908/30/2010

Are there any former city, state or federal workers here. Has anyone ever worked at city hall or at a local post office in management?

by Anonymousreply 11008/30/2010

interesting article

by Anonymousreply 11109/01/2010

I worked for a world famous artist. I ended up in therapy and still take medication. Stuff you wouldn't think of.

by Anonymousreply 11209/06/2010

Darvin Furniture in Orland Park, Illinois.%0D %0D If it's location in Orland Park isn't enough to send you screaming, the anti-gay, sexist, ageist slime running it will. %0D %0D Never, ever shop there.

by Anonymousreply 11309/06/2010

I cannot agree more that L'Occitane USA is a terrible company, particularly in NYC. The company is run truly by favoritism and friendships. You do not need the proper qualifications to work at a management level at any store or for any corporate position for that matter. All you need is to be friends with the right people. It is no wonder that their sales throughout the country have dropped significantly. Because you do not have qualified people who know what they are DOING!!!!! The company is not what it used to be.... it focuses on pressuring their employees to make illogical sales from very unlikely business plans. This only creates space for insurmountable returns because YOU are teaching employees to PRESSURE to buy rather than LOVE the product. The aprons are childlike and is far from luxurious! The company has no discretion and it is full of gossip at the corporate level. If it's rotten from the core--- that's how it spreads on through to the outside.

L'Occitane USA you are a joke. I hope that Mr. Geiger sees the mess the company is under with that failed leadership.

A sinking ship.

What a shame.

by Anonymousreply 11409/28/2013

I work for a state agency. Great benefits. Pay could be better. Been there 38 years. Easiest job I've ever had. Spend most of the day surfing the net. This is why I have stayed so long. Will retire in 2 years with a Fantastic retirement package.

by Anonymousreply 11509/28/2013

I haven't worked there, thank god, but Wal*Mart owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11609/28/2013

[quote] I got a second apology letter that sounded more sincere, and a phone message from the store manager asking me to call him so we could "discuss a resolution." I never called back, and they've never gotten another dime from me since, even for a fucking $1 candle.

LOL. That'll show IKEA! You should have called and asked for a store credit - why not profit from them first, then refuse to buy there again?

by Anonymousreply 11709/28/2013

There is a L'Occitane store not far from where I work. I occasionally pop in and browse (though I am not as fond of their products as many others are), and there is always different staff working from the last time I visited.

The staff always seem nervous and uneasy....not a pleasant place.

by Anonymousreply 11809/28/2013

Staples.

They make all kinds of promises that they never keep.

Their "tech training" was a joke. I was hourly and found myself having to train online on my days off with no compensation. The manager scoffed when I approached him with an assistant manager's advice to have me spend a few days to a week in a branch store with less foot-traffic and a designated trainer of new-hires in the tech department.

I would have even made do with paid online training. I think they broke the law, but I desperately needed the money.

Thank God I'm out of there.

by Anonymousreply 11909/28/2013

Halliburton

by Anonymousreply 12009/28/2013

I worked for large companies, 20,000 employees+, for 20+ years, and in every case, it completely depended on who my manager was. I had a great 5-year run at Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics; 1-year at Metcalf & Eddy; and 10-years at Fidelity Investments. Managers would come and go, and if I had one that wasn't good, I'd just keep my head down, and wait, and s/he'd be gone in 12-18 months. Perhaps the most interesting, and annoying, was that I was sexually harassed by a bear at Lotus Development, now part of IBM. It was during the Anita Hill testimony at congress, too.

by Anonymousreply 12109/28/2013

Amdocs. It is an Israeli based company with about 5,000 US employees.

Burn and churn, lots of yelling is common, completely fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants environment.

It was not uncommon to be asked to hire 200 people in two months, work day and night (and weekends) to meet the request only to have it all fall apart a few weeks before the deadline.

It is also 100% a reactionary culture with most employees putting out fires all day long and getting beaten up by upper management.

They finally had to implement an English-only rule because meetings would often devolve into managers speaking in other languages so the Americans could not understand what was being discussed.

It's a great place if you're a masochist.

by Anonymousreply 12209/28/2013

x

by Anonymousreply 12309/28/2013

[quote]Amdocs. It is an Israeli based company

You could've stopped right there.

by Anonymousreply 12409/28/2013

L'Occitane? Of course they have strict rules. If there is anyone quick with an excuse or lie it is a retail fairy.

by Anonymousreply 12509/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.