Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

When did the word "frau" first appear on DL?

Or was it an internet phrase before it arrived on here?

by Anonymousreply 203January 25, 2013 3:00 AM

I'm not sure since we don't have access to the old threads, but it might have been the "Sows(?) at the Trough" thread. It involved leftover bagels from a meeting and the ensuing carnage when certain employees (ahem) descended on said leftover bagels.

by Anonymousreply 1August 11, 2010 6:31 AM

shortly after 1 A.D. when fish was adopted into the vernacular.

by Anonymousreply 2August 11, 2010 7:04 AM

Denigration of women-as-women is not just anti-woman, it's anti-gay.

Stop the hate, it's killing us.

by Anonymousreply 3August 11, 2010 7:11 AM

what is the difference between denigration of women and denigration of women as women (I guess as opposed to women as horses or women as men; because God knows we see a lot of all that)? You lost me at the cultural studies registration desk, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4August 11, 2010 7:20 AM

"Hausfrau" has been a dismissive term for a very long time, at least since the 1980s when I first heard it. "Frau" is just a shortened version.

by Anonymousreply 5August 11, 2010 7:33 AM

It's caught on in the last two years or so, I would say. I started coming here in 2006 and I would hear the term hausfrau used, but usually towards women who fit that definition. Now, it seems like some posters use it as a catch all phrase that refers to any woman they find offensive.

by Anonymousreply 6August 11, 2010 7:37 AM

You're right, R6. It was the big go-to insult just before the horrible political stuff started in 2008 ("Freeper" was the insult then). After the political stuff died down "frau" made a little resurgence. You see "frau" as much as you used to 2 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 7August 11, 2010 7:47 AM

[quote]it seems like some posters use it as a catch all phrase that refers to any woman they find offensive.

I don't think that's so. "Frau" refers to a person of the female persuasion with a certain sense of entitlement, a skewed version of what "normal" womanhood is (aspirations of a perfect husband, perfect kids, perfect grandkids, McMansion), and a severely neurotic need to be perceived as successful, absent any evidence. It also implies a Stepford Wife vibe, whether or not she is married.

by Anonymousreply 8August 11, 2010 7:48 AM

That maybe your definition, r8, but some posters do use it as a catch-all insult. Go to almost any sex thread, and you will find someone called "Frau" and told "go back to ivillage" just because that person says something negative about the sex practice under discussion -- even when it is really just a gay man who just doesn't like rimming or whatever. And it happens in political threads too.

by Anonymousreply 9August 11, 2010 8:04 AM

"go back to ivillage" %0D %0D I will confess to delighting in the use of this phrase. Also, 'frau' is the perfect insult, regardless of the gender of the offender.

by Anonymousreply 10August 11, 2010 8:11 AM

[quote]Go to almost any sex thread, and you will find someone called "Frau" and told "go back to ivillage" just because that person says something negative about the sex practice under discussion

That goes back to the entitlement part of the definition. Fraus hate non-fraus, and fraus hate "weird" sex. They believe that no one has non-standard missionary heterosexual sex in the suburbs.

I still don't think frau refers to all women, just a certain sub-type.

by Anonymousreply 11August 11, 2010 8:12 AM

2008? No way... It goes way, way back on here. Back before the pedestrians took over.

by Anonymousreply 12August 11, 2010 8:23 AM

"Hausfrau" dates back at least to the 70s, probably the late 60s - it's used in the book "The Stepford Wives" from 1972. I assume it started with liberated women and their supporters using it to refer dismissively to those who chose to stay home and raise kids.

I think someone here started a thread referring to the "cubefraus" in their office and since then "frau" has been the derisive term of choice.

by Anonymousreply 13August 11, 2010 8:24 AM

There's always an R8 claiming that "frau" means a certain type of woman, but it's not true. I don't know if people are just delusional or are trying to defend the practice, but most people who use "frau" on DL mean all women. Go check out the lesbian threads, there's at least one person who thinks lesbians are fraus. (Everyone else thinks lesbians are mean or crazy. Oh, DL, you are almost as progressive as a bunch of old white guys in 1961 Alabama.)

by Anonymousreply 14August 11, 2010 8:26 AM

R14 you better be a humorless lesbian, or there's going to be trouble!

by Anonymousreply 15August 11, 2010 8:34 AM

There's always an R14 looking for malice that is not deserved.

Joan of Arc, aka R14, I bet you spend little to no time with actual fraus. I am certain that you do not have to work with them and listen to them every single fucking day.

Frau is specific, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 16August 11, 2010 8:35 AM

It certainly picked up usage after the Great EW Frau Invasion in Aught-five, or perhaps it was Aught-four, when the Datalounge received a mention in Entertainment Weekly. It was downhill after that.

by Anonymousreply 17August 11, 2010 9:00 AM

It is derivative of fraufish a phrase I coined in the early days of DL, but that for the tyranny of political correctness was chopped in half with only the first syllable remaining.

by Anonymousreply 18August 11, 2010 9:26 AM

It hit a peak last summer, I believe when you couldn't go a day without seeing a new "frau" bashing thread. It became very tiresome. I sometimes wonder if it was just one persistent, woman-hating troll.

by Anonymousreply 19August 11, 2010 9:33 AM

mhb get over yourself. Now you're taking credit for "coining" the word "frau"?!?

You're delusional, cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 20August 11, 2010 10:23 AM

[quote]what is the difference between denigration of women and denigration of women as women

What is the difference betwen gay men designating themselves with female names like "MissHelenBedd" or "Mrs Patrick Campbell" and using them to denigrate "fish" and "cunts"?

by Anonymousreply 21August 11, 2010 11:07 AM

whar ru flappin your labyia majora about, R21?

by Anonymousreply 22August 11, 2010 12:32 PM

"fraufish" is an adjective to describe something that is a little fraufy.

e.g. "I think I'll go home; I'm feeling a bit fraufish."

by Anonymousreply 23August 11, 2010 12:52 PM

Let's replace "frau" with "fag" and see how that goes over. It's just a word, right?

by Anonymousreply 24August 11, 2010 3:16 PM

lol @ fagfish

by Anonymousreply 25August 11, 2010 3:24 PM

How can "frau" be a phrase? It's one word.

by Anonymousreply 26August 11, 2010 3:26 PM

you wanna know the truth, R24. nobody WOULD care. That is the difference with us and you. Guys would just shrug their shoulders and go on about their days doing the very simple things men do... Finding something to eat, something to fuck and a toy to play with (such as a remote control, computer or ball and stick of sorts.) WE wouldnt have a "community" or "conversation" or try and "listen to each other's feelings" over it. We just you know get along. So, go ahead... it IS just a word.

by Anonymousreply 27August 11, 2010 3:26 PM

David Dean Bottrell has clearly has AIDs dementia, poor fag.

by Anonymousreply 28August 11, 2010 3:30 PM

I think R8 is right about the actual definition of "frau" but it has been thrown around as a catchall to describe anybody who you disgree with. It's the same as freeper in that way.

by Anonymousreply 29August 11, 2010 3:35 PM

Oh, bullshit, r 27: Whenever I use the word "fag"; whenever I say, like, "You fags have got to stop with your hatred of women": I get called out repeatedly by HIGHLY insulted homos who take extreme umbrage, totally drop their sense of humor, and say, "How dare you use the word 'fag,' you are WAY WORSE than anyone who ever calls somebody a 'cunt,'" etc.

Here, I'll prove it:

You fucking faggots need to shut the fuck up with your "fish" and your "frau" nonsense, it's not just offensive, it's tacky, it makes you look like exactly the kind of vicious evil child-molesting faggots that godhatesfags.com pretends you are.

Hey, and as for the abuse of "women-as-women," I just mean: It's fine to say, like, Sarah Palin is a jerk, an evildoer, a Republican, a liar, a stupid-head, a simpleton, an agitator, a louse, a merchant of chaos, etc. But to trash her AS a woman, to say, "She's a cunt," that's fucked up. That's dismissing her not because she's a vicious hatemonger, that's dismissing her just because she's a woman. It's the difference between calling Clarence Thomas the N-word, and calling him a lying angry pandering little twit.

Get it?

Hatred of women is not just misogynistic, it's homophobic, and it's killing all of us.

by Anonymousreply 30August 11, 2010 3:36 PM

To clarify:

The c-word is meant to demean women, to control them, to characterize them as by definition irrational, angry, out-of-control, etc.

Just as the n-word is meant to demean and humiliate black people, and to characterize them as by definition less-than, easily subjugated, etc.

by Anonymousreply 31August 11, 2010 3:43 PM

it aint killin anybody...ugh

by Anonymousreply 32August 11, 2010 3:57 PM

see, not one man in the world every thought, "how can I control women more... I know... Ill make up a word and call them that... yeah, that will get them to do my bidding. They will be powerless to answer the phone on command if I just have a word to call them... what word do I want to make up to control an entire gender of humans... what word could that be that would be so powerful that simply by uttering it, they will lose all self determination and be putty in my hand." pssssssssst... hey buddy, how about "cunt"? YEAH... that is the ticket. I never heard that but it has magic power written all over it. NOW I DO RULE THE WORLD...

by Anonymousreply 33August 11, 2010 4:00 PM

This thread is making me yawn so much, I almost swallowed my cane...

by Anonymousreply 34August 11, 2010 4:00 PM

You don't think homophobia and misogyny have killed anyone, r32? Women and gays are killed everyday just for existing. Yes, it is killing people.

by Anonymousreply 35August 11, 2010 4:01 PM

Someone gas this thread. The PC is embarrassing. Fuck off, humorless cunts. You don't belong here. Frau can be lame when it's in overdrive like last summer but this has ceased to be an issue, it's just part of the DL lexicon.

Do shut up.

by Anonymousreply 36August 11, 2010 4:01 PM

[quote]Denigration of women-as-women is not just anti-woman, it's anti-gay.%0D %0D It may be stupid, but it isn't anti-gay (or pro-gay.)

by Anonymousreply 37August 11, 2010 4:03 PM

You're a pathetic faggot, MHB. You have the same mentality as the Phelps clan.

by Anonymousreply 38August 11, 2010 4:05 PM

Yes, it is r37. Homophobes hate gays because of their perceived femininity. Homophobes hate women.

by Anonymousreply 39August 11, 2010 4:09 PM

Btw, the correct plural of 'Frau' is 'Frauen'.

And NOT 'Fraus'.

Thankyouverymuch.

by Anonymousreply 40August 11, 2010 4:10 PM

Misogyny is absolutely anti-gay.

Little boys in grade school and high school who get trashed for being "different" are called sissys and girls and - I was called Sally, for instance.

Little girls in grade school and high school who aren't the right kind of little girls. . . I mean, have you read Leslie Feinberg's STONE BUTCH BLUES? About the abuse she got from her own family? Because she was acting like a boy? And then the cops dragging a bunch of women out of a gay bar in Buffalo in the '50s and taking them to the station house and raping them, to prove who the real man was?

Lesbians and gays and transgendered people are typically abused and violated because they don't fit a particular gender stereotype.

And one of the reasons the US is so fucked-up about homosexuality is because of the mass cultural hatred and denigration of women. A gay little boy is acting like a girl. A gay little girl has not learned her place, and is daring to act like a boy.

Hatred of women is one of the founding impulses of homophobia.

So, yes, it is killing us, it is killing gay teens every day.

by Anonymousreply 41August 11, 2010 4:14 PM

hausfrau is simply an old word in German for a housewife. I mother would use it back in the seventies to refer to someone who filled the traditional role of caregiver at home.

It is hardly a neologism.

by Anonymousreply 42August 11, 2010 4:20 PM

The original meaning of the word and what it's used to imply on this site are two very different things.

by Anonymousreply 43August 11, 2010 4:26 PM

I remember when "cubefrau" was coined.

That one still makes me laugh.

It was in the "sows at the trough" thread.

One poster called the women in his office "housefraus" and the next poster, obviously in a mood, went on a harangue about how it was impossible for women who worked in an office to be called "housefraus." The pos6t went on for paragraphs about it.

So the original "housefrau" poster just jotted back, "Fine. Cubefraus. Is that better?"

Well, it was funny at the time...

by Anonymousreply 44August 11, 2010 4:28 PM

It was never funny. Faggots at the trough. Housefaggots. Cubefaggots. Shit Licking Pedophiles at the trough. All in good fun.

by Anonymousreply 45August 11, 2010 4:36 PM

Like 'frau' is remotely comparable to the evil homophobia being 'played with' by the pathetic R45. 'Cubequeen' gets used here often enough, of course, and would have the same jokey feel as 'cubefrau', but she had to go the extra inappropriate step into vile abuse. And despite the claims, frau is overwhelmingly used here to mean a specific type - you don't see the word on the Michfest threads, do you?

by Anonymousreply 46August 11, 2010 7:34 PM

Oh, for God's sake, will the hyesterical "frau=misogyny=homophobia=killing us" Cassandra shut the fuck up already. Really, honey, you need get a sense of humor.%0D %0D Frau (here on DL) is a specific term. Like "flyover states." Are they insults? Yes. Is frau contributing to the killing of gays and lesbians? Hardly.

by Anonymousreply 47August 11, 2010 7:59 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the frau craze on DL may have been started with a thread titled "Things Midwestern Hausfraus Love" or something like that. It included such items as Precious Moments figurines, the Dress Barn, Bedazzled sweatshirts, goopey Campbell soup casseroles, so on and so on.

by Anonymousreply 48August 11, 2010 8:02 PM

r46, r47 are in denial mode.

by Anonymousreply 49August 11, 2010 8:06 PM

Okay, r 47, how about this: "Oh, god, you queens just have to hear this, I was in line at Target, buying myself a double-headed dildo, because I accidentally dropped the last one in the dishwasher, and this nigger in line in front of me was all, 'What's that?' And I had to explain to this clueless nigger what a dildo was! Get her! Can you believe it?"

Is that all in fun? Is my objecting to the n-word me "not having a sense of humor?"

by Anonymousreply 50August 11, 2010 8:12 PM

@R1, you mean like gay was and still is the chosen sobriquet for anyone perceived as a stupid or a loser in a younger demographic??

by Anonymousreply 51August 11, 2010 8:30 PM

Wow, R50, you're really not that smart, are you?

by Anonymousreply 52August 11, 2010 8:38 PM

I have been here since 1997 and I think it started being used just a few years later. Someone used the word 'hausfrau' in a thread, which some others thought was incredibly witty, so at first 'frau' was just a shortened version (and some DLers still stick to that definition). Then some DLers claimed it referred only to conservative and/or homophobic women (and some DLers still stick to that definition as well), but I have seen many posters use it to refer to all women, or all straight women, or any woman whose existence they decide they resent for whatever reason.

I would have no problem with the use of this word if DLers were equally as critical of straight males.

by Anonymousreply 53August 11, 2010 8:38 PM

Is it just me or am I hearing the clippety clopping of hooves in here?

by Anonymousreply 54August 11, 2010 8:38 PM

r52 are you retarded or just a diseased faggot? You need start making common cause with the niggers and cunts.

by Anonymousreply 55August 11, 2010 8:42 PM

Back to the original question:%0D %0D [quote] When did the word "frau" first appear on DL?%0D %0D UD has an entry from early 2007

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 11, 2010 9:17 PM

I always thought that a frau was also in need of Jenny Craig.

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2010 10:17 PM

Frau has been around since at least 2001, probably longer. It has specific connotations, as does "freeper." It's not just someone you disagree with, although the freepers never seem to get that. Frauper happened in 2007/2008 around election season. That, too, has specific connotations.

by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2010 10:26 PM

One of the strangest mass-delusions I've noticed on DL is the idea that "Datalounge" invented or popularized certain words or phrases.%0D %0D I've been hearing "hausfrau" as a putdown of sheltered, dull-witted, unwordly women since...well, forever. I'm 41. "Frau" is just a shortened form of that. I've been on DL since 2004 and it's always been a staple.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2010 10:29 PM

Can we retire frau please? Since some of you are so ancient that you remember it being used before the inception of DL, it has run its course. Time to get a little more creative ladies. And it's time to let ivillage go too.

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2010 10:36 PM

This thread is awash in yellow. Thanks, R45.

by Anonymousreply 61August 11, 2010 10:39 PM

[quote]Since some of you are so ancient that you remember it being used before the inception of DL%0D %0D Are you really this stupid? It's a German word, and still in regular use today.

by Anonymousreply 62August 11, 2010 10:40 PM

R62, the datalounge frau is a term of art. It means more than just the german word for married woman. The poster who has heard it in real life to refer to dull, unworldly women has given as close a definition as you can get without actually browsing a Christmas sweater catalog.

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2010 10:54 PM

[quote]Are you really this stupid? It's a German word, and still in regular use today.%0D %0D Yes dear, I know. But its roots are not derogatory in Germany. You really ARE that stupid if you dont know the difference.

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2010 11:00 PM

R#44 has it right. Frau may have been used on and off here, but it did not become frequent until "cubefrau" was coined. It was soon shortened to "frau" and became a common DL term.

by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2010 11:23 PM

I like "frau."

As a descriptor, it evokes something very specific that no other term signals so clearly or instantly. In that sense, I would equate it with "queen," "redneck," "cougar," "nerd," etc. It's a descriptor of a Type, not an instant slur. To me, it's far more colorful and versatile than either "faggot" or "nigger," and can be said with affection as well as it can be said with disdain or outright hate.

When I hear the word "frau" used, the first person to come to mind is an Edie McClurg type -- unhip and unworldly, but rosy-cheeked and probably bearing a casserole -- a stereotype, yes, but not an unpleasant one to me. Just like "queen" used to evoke a Michael Greerish stereotype. I personally find neither word offensive unless they're specifically used with offensive intent.

I'm also against ANY kind of censorship. Banning a word is one step away from banning a book, and also one step away (in the opposite direction) from banning an idea. Giving a word so much power that its use -- or even a HINT of its use -- has to be banned is absolutely ridiculous. Remember in 1999 when the aide to the mayor of DC was forced to resign for using the word "niggardly?" That's the height of dangerous idiocy to me.

Oh, and while we're on REAL slurs, if you can call someone a prick or an asshole, you can call them a cunt in my book.

But that's also just my opinion. We're all allowed one, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2010 11:47 PM

Well put, R66, but brace for the victim troll to swoop in and tell you what you REALLY think the word means, because she knows you better than you know yourself.

by Anonymousreply 67August 11, 2010 11:57 PM

r65 hasn't been here long enough to know.

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2010 12:14 AM

r65 and r67 are being intentionally obtuse to justify their bigotry. A slur is a slur. And you're both actively contributing to homophobia with your misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2010 12:24 AM

[italic]it did not become frequent until "cubefrau" was coined. It was soon shortened to "frau" and became a common DL term.%0D [/italic]%0D %0D Um, no. Frau came first. "Hausfrau", in fact, but it was soon shortened to frau. Someone began referring to the women he worked with as "fraus", and someone else pointed out that that made no sense, since a frau or hausfrau, by definition, "worked" in the home, and THEN "cubefrau" was born.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2010 12:25 AM

Why don't you fucking leave DL if you hate it so damn much, R30?

You're the one "killing" something, not the words 'cunt' and 'frau'. You're killing every thread you post on.

When I decided I couldn't stand what DL was turning into, I left for a while. You could do the same, but you'd rather wag your finger at everyone instead.

by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2010 12:29 AM

[R61] i would hope that you recognize the difference between making fun of gay stereotypes HERE, and the same 'making fun of gay stereotypes' on freerepublic.com.

You're that same freeper making fun of 'those other people' because putting other people down makes you feel superior, and your laughs tell you: Sure I'm a fag, but it could be worse, I could be ghetto trash.

It's hateful. Stop being like them.

by Anonymousreply 72August 12, 2010 12:33 AM

I'm not R30 but I'm going to continue fighting about this until it stops because it needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2010 12:42 AM

r 73 is totally right, the use of terms like "frau" and "fish" and the c-word, in a tone that is specifically meant to express contempt for women, is offensive, politically retrograde, sexist, misogynistic, foolish, tacky, and stupid.

Really, it's shocking to me that so many gay men are willing to sound exactly like the cliches that homophobic Hollywood films make us out to be. If you went to a Hollywood movie where Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio played lovers, and they went to the supermarket, and had a queeny hissy fit about all the "fraus" and "fish" in the checkout line, you'd complain and complain and complain that the movie stereotyped gay men as "queens with mom issues who are afraid of women."

Yet that's exactly what you sound like when you use those words in these threads.

If you cannot figure out that homophobia and misogyny are inextricably intertwined, and that hatred of gay men and lesbians will never go away until our culture recovers from its contempt for women, then you are really very very very very very very stupid little faggots and you do not deserve your rights.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2010 2:43 AM

i don't even know how to pronounce it, is it frow or froy?

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2010 2:57 AM

Rhymes with cow.

Mooooooooooo.

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2010 3:02 AM

Then what's a froyline Maria?

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2010 3:09 AM

"Fraulein" is like "Miss," and "Frau" is like "Mrs." There's an umlaut over the "u" in "Fraulein," but I don't know how to get DL to register umlauts. "Fraulein" is pronounced "froy-line," and "Frau" is pronounced as if it rhymed with "now." It's amazing that you don't even know the meanings and pronunciations of the insults you hurl. To call someone a "hausfrau" is the same as calling him or her a "housewife" - the translation is literal. As far as I can tell, "frau" is used on DL specifically to denigrate women, all women. DL posters who claim they are using "frau" in the same way that you'd call somebody a "jerk" are not paying attention to the tone and context in which "frau" is repeatedly used on this board. It is meant to express contempt for women, BECAUSE they're women.

Really, your contempt for women is sickening.

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2010 3:51 AM

[quote]There's an umlaut over the "u" in "Fraulein,"

No, it's over the "a."

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2010 4:11 AM

Yes, you're right, it's over the "a."

By the way, I think the reason you all like "cube frau" so much is because it reminds you of "cube steak" - and that's how you see women, as meat. As a body that you revile.

Really, you women-hating gay guys are exactly like the straight men whom you mock and loathe: You have exactly the same relationship to women that Mel Gibson has.

You are Mel.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2010 4:42 AM

The 'It's Killing Us' Troll (R3,30, 31, 41, 74, 78, 80) is completely loopy.

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2010 7:57 AM

[quote]I have seen many posters use it to refer to all women, or all straight women, or any woman whose existence they decide they resent for whatever reason.

Of course they do. I can't imagine why anyone would deny this. If enough DLers use "frau" to mean any woman they hate at that moment, that's what the word means on DL, regardless of a few people who insist that the word is legitimate and important.

I'd point out that none of the homophobic women I've known come close to the "frau" definition, anyway, but I'm sure that would just confuse people further.

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2010 8:19 AM

#80, you're not meat- you're fish.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2010 8:56 AM

[quote]Can we retire frau please?

If DL was Facebook, I'd be voting "Like" right now.

"Frau" hatred on DL has plummeted to absurd extremes. Basically, any straight woman with a child is now a "frau." This screams to abject jealousy on the part of a) DL bottoms who get fucked daily but can never produce such spawn and b) coupled DLers envious that their straight counterparts can have a child so easily when the gays must go the surrogate or adoption route. GET OVER IT QUEENS!

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2010 9:31 AM

....and c) seething, white hot envy over the fact that...%0D %0D WE GET ALL THE STRAIGHT DICK!!!!!!!!!!!%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 85August 12, 2010 11:27 AM

I use it as a derisory almost-affectionate term for that kind of woman who feels entitled as she is a parent and has "normal" views and is overweight and has bad dress sense - as I am sure we all do here. Ditto Cubefrau for women at work !

by Anonymousreply 86August 12, 2010 11:45 AM

lol @ brunhilda R85 FOFLMAO

by Anonymousreply 87August 12, 2010 11:50 AM

r 81, you're right, I'm loopy, but it's true that hatred of women is a giant component of homophobia. Maybe you were not abused as a teenaged boy because you reminded everyone of a girl, but I was, and I had learned by about age 12 that our culture hates girls, and it will go out of its way to punish: 1) boys who act like girls; 2) girls; and, 3) girls who have the audacity to forget that they are just a bunch of fucking girls.

I think a lot of the response to Hillary Clinton's Presidential campaign also proves my point.

You'd have to be in a lot of massive and foolish denial not to see how women are devalued in our society, and how hatred of women leads to violence against women, and violence against transgendered people - did you not see BOYS DON'T CRY, duh? - and violence against adult homos, but especially violence against gay teens.

Jesus, get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 88August 12, 2010 3:00 PM

if you fish would man up and stop the whining people would respect you more and probably stop walking all over you - - ever think of that?

by Anonymousreply 89August 12, 2010 3:23 PM

OMG, they must be serving Popsicles in Hell, because, for once, I sort of agree with MHB.

by Anonymousreply 90August 12, 2010 3:26 PM

MHB, choke on a razor blade, you necrotic faggot.

by Anonymousreply 91August 12, 2010 3:27 PM

Missed Bed, we're talking about 13-year-old kids, okay? Who kill themselves. Or try to. That's what we're talking about. Kids whom it is our responsibility to protect! Do you get that?

by Anonymousreply 92August 12, 2010 3:29 PM

I'm so sure some little 13 y.o. read the word frau and went in and blew her brains out. COME ON... *thanks for the laugh, hohn*

by Anonymousreply 93August 12, 2010 3:33 PM

Shits The Bedd (David Dean Bottrell) wouldn't be abusing 13 year old kids if they'd just stand up to him, it's their fault he rapes them.

by Anonymousreply 94August 12, 2010 3:35 PM

[quote]necrotic Well, I've been called a lot of things on here, but THAT is a first. (I thought I was the only one cleaver enough to make up words here.)

by Anonymousreply 95August 12, 2010 3:37 PM

I'm just saying, Messy Bed, that kids learn their prejudices from adults, and there are clearly a lot of adults on this board who hate women. And if little baby gay kids figure out that even gay men are contemptuous of women, then they know they're in trouble.

And I suspect that there are a lot of 13-year-olds posting on DL. By the way.

by Anonymousreply 96August 12, 2010 3:38 PM

Open a dictionary, shit for brains.

by Anonymousreply 97August 12, 2010 3:39 PM

wikipedia says:

Necrosis (from the Greek %C3%8E%C2%BD%C3%8E%C2%B5%C3%8E%C2%BA%C3%8F%C2%81%C3%8F%C2%8C%C3%8F%C2%82, "dead") is the premature death of cells and living tissue. Necrosis is caused by factors external to the cell or tissue, such as infection, toxins, or trauma. This is in contrast to apoptosis, which is a naturally occurring cause of cellular death. While apoptosis often provides beneficial effects to the organism, necrosis is almost always detrimental and can be fatal.

by Anonymousreply 98August 12, 2010 3:43 PM

I can't decide whether to LOL or just yawn @ dramadyke at R96 - - and her suicidal preteen who is ready to buy the farm by hooking up a gas hose and running the car in the garage because she went online and read "frau."

by Anonymousreply 99August 12, 2010 3:45 PM

well, then you arent as smart as i thought you were.

by Anonymousreply 100August 12, 2010 3:47 PM

"I would have no problem with the use of this word if DLers were equally as critical of straight males."

Dream on. Straight males are worshiped on this board by a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 101August 12, 2010 3:47 PM

Sounds like an apt description of rotting dinosaurs like MHB, R98

by Anonymousreply 102August 12, 2010 3:49 PM

You're so fucking untalented.

by Anonymousreply 103August 12, 2010 3:50 PM

Hey, motherfucker, I'm a gay guy, okay?

Here is where your stupidity expresses itself: The assumption that the only people who care about the abuse of women are other women.

And you can joke and camp about whatever you like, but teen suicide is an epidemic in the US, and plenty of those teens are dealing with anxieties about their gender-identification and their sexuality.

And DLers who say "frau" online are clearly DLers who go out into their day having contempt for women.

And teenaged kids are very savvy, they are very perceptive, and they pick up vibes very easily.

And I hope that God or Jesus or Buddha or Cher or some omnipotent deity has put a restraining order on you to keep you away from all teenaged kids, but if not: Well, those kids are very aware of how you despise women.

by Anonymousreply 104August 12, 2010 3:51 PM

R104 = frau in camouflage culottes.

by Anonymousreply 105August 12, 2010 3:56 PM

Shits The Bedd's current project is :

[quote] An adaptation of Jessica Hendra's controversial memoir "How to Cook Your Daughter."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 12, 2010 4:01 PM

Hi mhb @ R106!!!

by Anonymousreply 107August 12, 2010 4:11 PM

OMG! Read some of MHB's testimonials on his site:%0D %0D COMMENTS FROM FORMER STUDENTS:%0D %0D "David is a breath of fresh air. A working actor with no ego or bitterness....."%0D -- John Patterson%0D %0D %0D Bwahahahahah! Oh, my sides.

by Anonymousreply 108August 12, 2010 4:19 PM

His twitter feed is really sad. He apparently had his first audition in eons yesterday. You just keep trying, shit head, you'll be a star one day.

by Anonymousreply 109August 12, 2010 4:24 PM

The 'It's Killing Us' Troll is getting madder and madder - you can almost see her wiping the spittle from the screen.

by Anonymousreply 110August 12, 2010 5:24 PM

Here's a blog for a all the self-loathing homophobes on this site:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 12, 2010 5:34 PM

[quote] "for a all the.."

Oh,dear.

by Anonymousreply 112August 12, 2010 9:14 PM

I've been here since 2000 - maybe 1999 but I can't remember now. I do remember the influx of straight females coming here after that damn EW mention. It seems that it was sometime after that we experienced the term frau. And it was very much in response to the feeling that straight females were trying to turn DL into "their" site with us as their latest trendy pet. The term and its usage here did not just spring out of nowhere. %0D %0D Unfortunately the straight females would often use DL and us as part of their various agendas as in "see even the gays hate/agree/etc with us" and then provide a link to the thread they created at DL on their various home sites. %0D %0D The use of the term frau at DL has little to do with gay feelings about females in general or in real life. But it does accurately reflect a frustration and disgust at the behavior of straight females here and, sometimes off site vis a vis behavior that impacts negatively on the gay community.

by Anonymousreply 113August 12, 2010 11:28 PM

Moses muttered it about Ramses II after R2 said, "So let it be written. So let it be done."

by Anonymousreply 114August 12, 2010 11:59 PM

Divide and conquer, that's how the patriarchy solidifies and maintains its power, dude. Get the fags to hate the cunts and vice versa, and there'll never be a reasonable challenge to straight white male supremacy.

It's just astonishing how desperate you are to be slaves. And not in a fun way.

by Anonymousreply 115August 13, 2010 12:00 AM

[quote]The 'It's Killing Us' Troll is getting madder and madder - you can almost see her wiping the spittle from the screen. so is my troll, honey, with her tired DBB tea.

by Anonymousreply 116August 13, 2010 1:28 PM

You need to give up sweetie you won't change anyone here!All that anger & negative energy is bad for your health.

by Anonymousreply 117August 13, 2010 6:42 PM

You actually degrade women & girls by saying society hates them.Where do you live Iran? Gay boys & girls are not the same & straight men are not the enemy. You need to stop generalizing, it's far too simplistic,you cannot change anyone but yourself so you need to end this crusade.The people who anger you are enjoying your rage.

by Anonymousreply 118August 13, 2010 6:51 PM

"Frau" is the most innocuous "slur" imaginable. I can't imagine getting up in arms over it. Cunt, bitch, etc, sure, those are bad, and there is some pretty vicious misogyny bandied about routinely here. But "Frau"? It's like comparing "sissy" to "faggot", or "homie" to the n-word. It's far more laughable and absurd than it is offensive or hurtful. If you are offended or hurt by this, you really need a thicker skin.%0D %0D Pick your battles. Knee-jerk cries of "---ism!" are petty, and diminish your argument when real bigotry occurs.

by Anonymousreply 119August 13, 2010 7:02 PM

Most people don't find the word "fag" offensive. There are much worse slurs than fag. It's stupid to be offended by it.

by Anonymousreply 120August 13, 2010 7:07 PM

R115 "Divide & conquer,thats how the patriarchy solidifies and maintains it's power"

You have as big a problem with men as these guys do with fraus,do you really think straight male supremacy depends on getting gay men to hate women or "cunts to hate fags"as you so eloquently put it.You should stop trying to shame people into respecting you, & stop insulting peoples intelligence.

by Anonymousreply 121August 13, 2010 7:07 PM

>>well, then you arent as smart as i thought you were.%0D %0D Nor as "cleaver," fishfaggot.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 122August 13, 2010 7:19 PM

Gay men hating women doesn't effect the patriarchy,women hating gays will also do nil we are both powerless if they disrespect us.This may sound strange to you but I don't see men as the enemy.Only on DL could you take part in such a lame argument. Am I guy or a girl?

by Anonymousreply 123August 13, 2010 7:29 PM

[quote] Am I guy or a girl?

Wrong thread for trans issues

by Anonymousreply 124August 13, 2010 7:31 PM

It doesn't matter if you're a guy or a girl, R123. Your idiocy trumps your biological sex.%0D %0D Are people really this stupid/ignorant about gender politics?

by Anonymousreply 125August 13, 2010 7:36 PM

Gender politics yawn..yawn yawn.. boring,sad & humorless.

by Anonymousreply 126August 13, 2010 7:47 PM

You're a man, r126. You don't want to discuss it because you're clinging to your male privilege hoping it's enough to compensate for being queer. You don't want women to be equal because in your tiny mind that would demote you.

by Anonymousreply 127August 13, 2010 7:58 PM

Dear angry,I only asked if I was a guy or a girl to prove a point.If you care so much about gender politics start a campaign,your wasting your time responding to my idiocy.

by Anonymousreply 128August 13, 2010 7:58 PM

You make me feel like a natural woman..

by Anonymousreply 129August 13, 2010 8:03 PM

r128 has necrotic foreskin

by Anonymousreply 130August 13, 2010 8:09 PM

R125 Their point is you cannot tell who you are aiming your comments at,you could be hating on women or men,this place could be overrun with trolls.You won't change the world raging against assholes here.

by Anonymousreply 131August 13, 2010 8:15 PM

r131, if you decide to change, there will be one less asshole in the world.

by Anonymousreply 132August 13, 2010 8:20 PM

Some of my best friends are women.

by Anonymousreply 133August 13, 2010 8:41 PM

127=Homophobia

by Anonymousreply 134August 13, 2010 8:48 PM

Today

by Anonymousreply 135August 13, 2010 9:24 PM

OP why do you care when it first appeared do you need the exact date.

by Anonymousreply 136August 13, 2010 9:25 PM

You can say frau all you like it don't bother me.

by Anonymousreply 137August 14, 2010 2:36 AM

You aint no woman honey nice try.

by Anonymousreply 138August 14, 2010 3:00 AM

Our misogyny troll:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 14, 2010 3:08 AM

That guy in the suit looks like David Walliams you could have warned me.

by Anonymousreply 140August 14, 2010 3:16 AM

Could I also off you a comma, R140?

Or -- dare I say it -- a period?

by Anonymousreply 141August 14, 2010 3:30 AM

R140 No you can't OFF me a comma.

by Anonymousreply 142August 14, 2010 3:38 AM

Peiople whoi crittisize speeeling & gramur r laime

by Anonymousreply 143August 14, 2010 3:48 AM

Ah, mea culpa, mea culpa.

But lighten up a degree or two. You missed the intent of that post.

by Anonymousreply 144August 14, 2010 3:52 AM

A little lol would have gone a long way 144

by Anonymousreply 145August 14, 2010 4:04 AM

I don't do emoticons, R145. I understand their use, and I understand their liability.

by Anonymousreply 146August 14, 2010 4:10 AM

R14: But some lesbians ARE fraus.

by Anonymousreply 147August 14, 2010 4:12 AM

"...see, not one man in the world ever thought, "how can I control women more..."%0D %0D %0D %0D You've got to be fucking kidding me, MHB.

by Anonymousreply 148August 14, 2010 4:16 AM

I thought Frau started with the thread about the women lining up to eat goodies brought into work - Pigs at the trough. To me, a frau is not a wealthy youngish suburban housewife, a frau is a middle aged, overweight woman who works full time but who has no life - someone who just goes home and watches TV - who is interesting or exciting, etc., whose biggest idea of the day is what to make for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 149August 14, 2010 4:24 AM

Who is MHB?

by Anonymousreply 150August 14, 2010 4:25 AM

149 here - meant to say is NOT interesting or exciting.

by Anonymousreply 151August 14, 2010 4:28 AM

r149 Shows again that the meaning of Frau is not really tangible.

by Anonymousreply 152August 14, 2010 4:33 AM

[151]No need to correct yourself darling your among friends!

by Anonymousreply 153August 14, 2010 4:37 AM

He should use correct spelling & Grammar.

by Anonymousreply 154August 14, 2010 4:42 AM

cubefrau = EPIC

by Anonymousreply 155August 14, 2010 4:47 AM

I'm a straight guy,I hate you both,I only come here to see who I fucked.

by Anonymousreply 156August 14, 2010 4:56 AM

Who said they were wealthy or youngish? Fraus exist across the age and socio-economic spectrums. They are uniformly white and Christian, though, and concentrated in suburban and rural areas.

Frau comes from hausfrau, which is basically German for housewife. A true frau doesn't work outside the home, which is why the term cubefrau was coined, to differentiate the working fraus from the stay at home fraus.

The defining characteristic of all Fraus is a sort of dull-witted, unwordly point of view. They are unsophisticated, un- (or under-) educated women with low-brow, common denominator tastes. Their lives revolve around pictures of children (theirs or other people's), holiday theming, mass entertainment offerings that don't require critical thought, Oprah, Wal-Mart and fattening foods.

by Anonymousreply 157August 14, 2010 5:43 AM

[quote]Who is MHB?

A gay male who has assumed "MissHelenBedd" as his nom de troll, and who thinks his brilliant repartee and ironic insight will reveal how fucked up many of DLs posters are. While he is correct that many DL posters are supremely fucked up, he is massively self-deluded as to the weight of his "satire," as was DanielBexton, the troll who tried the same thing before him. Both are intellectual lightweights who give themselves FAR too much credit and kudos for "unlocking" the general mental deficits of DL's most extreme posters, most of which are obvious to all of us with a three-figure IQ.

by Anonymousreply 158August 14, 2010 5:45 AM

[quote]Their lives revolve around pictures of children (theirs or other people's), holiday theming, mass entertainment offerings that don't require critical thought, Oprah, Wal-Mart and fattening foods.

That's way too narrow a description. True frauen revolve their lives around ALL of their childrens' activities (soccer or ballet practice, Mathlete training, whatever) while sacrficing their own happiness for their kids. It is their sole goal to raise children who not only appreciate school but score well on exams, at least well enough to gain admission to a college that isn't a total embarrassment. The frauen will run fundraisers for whatever cause as long as it makes them look good. They might have to answer questions if they deviate from the frau norms, e.g. breast feeding beyond the age of two or having a nanny past the age of about 10.

by Anonymousreply 159August 14, 2010 6:04 AM

Fraus also tend to be germophobic and by anti-bacterial everything.

by Anonymousreply 160August 14, 2010 6:14 AM

Thanks for the hot tip, Noah Webster.

by Anonymousreply 161August 14, 2010 6:16 AM

Oops, I misspelled "buy." Sorry, Miss Grundy.

by Anonymousreply 162August 14, 2010 6:20 AM

I was referring to R159, who seems to be crafting a wikipedia profile.

by Anonymousreply 163August 14, 2010 6:28 AM

Fraus think we "went down the wrong path" They believe we can change though with gods help,bless them.

by Anonymousreply 164August 14, 2010 6:39 AM

Their overriding feature is usually their narrow mindedness,they love routine & have a very limited range of interests.Most are bossy & controlling too,clean freaks,control freaks & generally just boring boring boring.

by Anonymousreply 165August 14, 2010 6:47 AM

Sounds like most of the gays, R165.

by Anonymousreply 166August 14, 2010 7:57 AM

MHB is gonna get himself stabbed to death one of these days

by Anonymousreply 167August 14, 2010 8:04 AM

[quoute]who is R158 some faceless loser fish who stalks a nonexistent avatar and diludes herself into thinking she is striking some blow for social justice by denouncing some make-believe bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 168August 14, 2010 8:16 AM

you're pathetic

by Anonymousreply 169August 14, 2010 8:22 AM

I always thought the genesis of the word as an archetype had more to do with Frau Bl%C3%83%C2%BCcher. I almost always hear the whinny when I read the word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 15, 2010 9:07 AM

Let's dial that rage back a bit, r167.

by Anonymousreply 171August 17, 2010 12:11 PM

You guys KNOW you want some of this. Don't hate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172August 17, 2010 2:46 PM

Don't confuse fraus with soccer moms. Two very different entities.

by Anonymousreply 173August 25, 2010 6:16 AM

Calling women frau is killing us!!!

by Anonymousreply 174September 3, 2010 8:59 PM

[R85] Nails it!

by Anonymousreply 175September 4, 2010 4:41 AM

by Anonymousreply 176September 4, 2010 4:46 AM

It's one of those words that seems to change definition depending on who's using it.%0D %0D My personal definition is genderless and not exclusive to any sexual orientation. I use it very carefully and specifically and don't apply it based on superficial qualities such as age, looks, weight, dress sense, or external attributes like marital or parental status. %0D %0D I use it to refer to a certain personality type only - narrow-minded and close-minded, catty, judgmental, can't conceive of anything outside of their own experiences, prejudiced and bigoted. The kind of person who gets a thrill out of picking others apart and putting them down. %0D %0D By my definition many males, both straight and gay, are fraus.

by Anonymousreply 177September 4, 2010 5:10 AM

For all the fraus....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 7, 2010 8:18 PM

I skipped to the end because the overly serious posts were tiresome. IIRC, "Frau" on DL caught on four or five years ago as part of threads about faghags and cubefraus. It crossed over from a few threads and became part of DL lore. I'm a lesbian, and it doesn't offend me because I realize it describes a specific stereotype. Anyone who uses "Frau" to describe all women is doing it wrong, at least on the DataLounge.

I j

by Anonymousreply 179September 7, 2010 9:23 PM

Sexism is killing queer teens. Stop the violence.

by Anonymousreply 180December 14, 2010 5:58 AM

Stop hating women. Hatred of women is killing our lesbian and gay children.

by Anonymousreply 181December 14, 2010 6:02 AM

Our children are victims of anti-gay violence because of your misogyny.

Stop the hate.

by Anonymousreply 182December 14, 2010 6:04 AM

Stop the hate.

by Anonymousreply 183December 14, 2010 6:07 AM

Stop the hate.

by Anonymousreply 184December 14, 2010 6:08 AM

Hard to call DL anti-misogynist when you notice the number of threads that feature "frau" and the c-word in their titles.

Stop the hate.

Misogyny is killing us.

by Anonymousreply 185December 14, 2010 6:11 AM

Hard to call DL anti-misogynist when you notice the number of threads that feature "frau" and the c-word in their titles.

Stop the hate.

Misogyny is killing us.

by Anonymousreply 186December 14, 2010 6:16 AM

Stop the hate.

Misogyny is killing us.

by Anonymousreply 187December 14, 2010 6:18 AM

Stop the hate.

Misogyny is killing us.

by Anonymousreply 188December 14, 2010 6:20 AM

Stop hating women.

Hatred of women is why fags get bashed.

Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 189December 14, 2010 6:21 AM

J'adore MissHelenBedd (authenticated)

by Anonymousreply 190December 14, 2010 6:24 AM

Stop hating women.

Get a clue.

(I'm not MHB - I don't hate women, and I don't hate gay men.)

by Anonymousreply 191December 14, 2010 6:25 AM

'Frau' always makes me think of Mimi from the Drew Carey Show.

by Anonymousreply 192December 14, 2010 6:25 AM

Stop hating women.

Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 193December 14, 2010 6:25 AM

Stop hating women.

Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 194December 14, 2010 6:26 AM

Stop hating women.

Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 195December 14, 2010 6:28 AM

[quote]You lost me at the cultural studies registration desk%0D %0D LOL

by Anonymousreply 196December 14, 2010 6:32 AM

DL use of the c-word, and the word "frau," must be stopped - not just because they are offensive, but because they are making it possible for people to harm queer teens.

Stop the violence.

by Anonymousreply 197December 14, 2010 7:53 AM

Stop your fucking spamming, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 198December 14, 2010 7:59 AM

Your misogyny is killing you.

by Anonymousreply 199February 8, 2011 7:19 AM

Homophobia is just another version of misogyny.

Violent language against women is a form of queer self-loathing.

by Anonymousreply 200February 8, 2011 7:28 AM

How now, Frau cow?

by Anonymousreply 201February 8, 2011 12:28 PM

and?

by Anonymousreply 202March 1, 2011 3:16 PM

well?

by Anonymousreply 203January 25, 2013 3:00 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!