Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patsy Cline

I just watched "Sweet Dreams" last night for the first time. How accurate was the portrayal of Cline's personality, anybody know? She seems like she would have been a fun gal who wasn't from some strict Christian family which informed her whole life.%0D %0D I hate that she died so young but at least she doesn't have a legacy of becoming a born-again or Republican in her later years. %0D %0D (And Ann Wedgeworth was great as her mother.)

by Anonymousreply 8610/19/2014

No love for Patsy. :(

by Anonymousreply 108/08/2010

I love Patsy Cline. And I love Jessica Lange. And Ed Harris is a friend of mine. But the movie sucks. Beverly D'Angelo did a better job with Patsy in her few scenes in A Coal Miner's Daughter.

by Anonymousreply 208/08/2010

D'Angelo was an amazing Cline, she even did her own singing. %0D %0D The curious thing about "Dreams" is it never has her interacting or meeting any other singers. The producers figured that the friendship with Lynn had been explored in "Coal Miner's Daughter" but what about Dottie West?

by Anonymousreply 308/08/2010

Beverly D'Angelo was great in Coal Miner's Daughter, but Jessica Lange was brilliant in Sweet Dreams.

The problem with Jessica was physical - D'Angelo had the same kind of fleshiness that Patsy Cline had - not really overweight, exactly, but full-figured. Lange was a completely different physical type.

"Sweet Dreams" is extremely well-made. Beautifully shot and acted, and Lange lip-synchs pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 408/08/2010

There are still old ladies in Harrisonburg Virginia who refer to Mrs. Dick as a whore.

by Anonymousreply 508/08/2010

I never saw "Sweet Dreams." I did really like D'Angelo in "Coal Miner's Daughter," her Cline seemed like such good friend and a fun broad to hang out with, you felt the loss keenly when she died.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2010

Mr. Dick was no saint either, R5. :)

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2010

My best friend's maternal grandparents lived down the street from Patsy and Charlie Dick in Virginia in the 1950s. One Sunday while my friend's grandmother was walking to church, she passed the Cline/Dick home and there was Patsy, passed out drunk on the front lawn. Her dress was hiked over her waist and she was wearing no panties. My friend's grandmother (now in her 80s) liked Patsy but to this day whenever she talks about her she will always say "she was a real party girl, if you know what I mean."

by Anonymousreply 808/08/2010

Beverly D'Angelo should have received a Supporting Oscar nomination for Coal Miner's Daughter. Her name was bandied about when Sweet Dreams was casting, but when the producers decided on Lange who was one of the hottest actresses of the time, it devastated D'Angelo and her career never really took off after that. Word is she, in fact, became a little crazy.

by Anonymousreply 908/08/2010

[quote]I love Patsy Cline. And I love Jessica Lange. And Ed Harris is a friend of mine. But the movie sucks. Beverly D'Angelo did a better job with Patsy in her few scenes in A Coal Miner's Daughter.

I love you.

by Anonymousreply 1008/08/2010

Now THAT is quality gossip, R8.

by Anonymousreply 1108/08/2010

She maybe would have liked the gays - as long as she didn't become a born again had she lived. (I'm looking at you, Wanda Jackson.)

by Anonymousreply 1208/08/2010

[quote]Beverly D'Angelo should have received a Supporting Oscar nomination for Coal Miner's Daughter.

You mean she didn't?!?

by Anonymousreply 1308/08/2010

"I don't wanna be rich, just live good."

by Anonymousreply 1408/08/2010

i love me some Patsy Cline! Her voice was incredible.

by Anonymousreply 1508/08/2010

supposedly I worked hard to have D'Angelo's role in Coal Miner's Daughter made smaller and her Oscar "for your consideration" advertising budget reduced.

It was MY film and award.

by Anonymousreply 1608/08/2010

"I Fall to pieces..."

Yes you did, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1708/08/2010

Beverly D'Angelo was fabulous in Coal Miner's Daughter. My favorite scene is her return to the Grand Old Opry after her big accident, where she stands onstage in her glitzy suit emoting on Sweet Dreams, and then winks at Loretta standing in the wings.

by Anonymousreply 1808/08/2010

Did Spacek really have D'Angelo's role reduced? If so, in the script or in editing or both?

by Anonymousreply 2008/08/2010

Why would Spacek care? Nobody would have seen D'Angelo as anything more than a supporting role, so no competition.

by Anonymousreply 2108/08/2010

by Anonymousreply 2208/08/2010

I read somewhere that Roger Miller ("King of the Road")went looking for the bodies and came across the crash. Horrifying. A great, great singer who could cross over effortlessly from country to pop and even jazz (listen carefully to some of her recordings--you can hear the jazz phrasing).

by Anonymousreply 2308/08/2010

I agree Ann Wedgworth is unbelievably good in that movie, OP. She was cheated out of an Oscar nomination: "Why, yerr jes' too mean to live!"

Patsy REALLY worked hard during her short career... the movie doesn't make clear just how many recordings she made and performances she gave over such a comparatively short span of time. I think the movie doesn't make that clear enough.

by Anonymousreply 2408/08/2010

Some of her songs even have a rockabilly feel. Damn, wish she'd lived.

by Anonymousreply 2508/08/2010

Another hand for Wedgeworth as Patsy's mother - who would have thought this was same woman who played that horrible neighbor for awhile on "Three's Company."

Anne and Jayne Mansfield went to school together and were friends for quite awhile.

Ann won the Tony Award for Best Featured Actress in a Play for Chapter Two.....and looking like Elvira Mistress of the Dark, fell running up the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 2608/08/2010

r20, r21 That was the scoop according to an old Movieline magazine I remember reading.

It was some article about how even the nicest of actors (Spacek) have had their diva moments. I think it was in the editing. Everyone was making such a fuss about D'Angelo that Spacek got scared she'd steal the film so she convinced people to reduce her role.

Spacek was sort of more worried about criticism since Loretta Lynn was such a more familar face and voice than Cline (at the time) and there was worry that she wouldn't pull off the impression. (it was a big film for Spacek since she was kind of typecast after Carrie and she had a lot to prove.)

by Anonymousreply 2708/08/2010

Anne = Ann.....sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 2808/08/2010

And who knew Patsy Cline looked just like Frances Farmer?

by Anonymousreply 2908/08/2010

Wedgeworth was apparently treated very badly by the cast of "Three's Company" and was more than happy to leave after 13 episodes.%0D %0D Thing is, I didn't like her on "Company" but have liked her on everything else she's done. Apparently, she was great on "Another World" and "Somerset" as Lahoma in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3008/08/2010

Wedgeworth was also robbed for "Handle with Care"

by Anonymousreply 3108/08/2010

Loved Lahoma!

by Anonymousreply 3308/08/2010

Sweet Dreams soft-pedaled the story in some areas.

Patsy Cline had one of the most beautiful voices and, flame away, I believe it was just as beautiful as Judy Garland's voice.

First of all, the ending. The plane didn't crash into a mountain. The engine died and the plane just crashed to the ground.

Jessica Lange was too skinny for Patsy. Patsy was a chunky woman. And yes, Beverly D'Angelo was brilliant as Cline.

Those women of the Grand Ole Opry had hard lives. Both Patsy's and Loretta's husbands would be around the corner in the bar while their wives were onstage bringing in the money. They would be drinking, gambling and coming on to other women.

And the movie didn't show the reality of touring. Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and June Carter Cash did some touring of the county fairs together. The schedule was so grueling that they regularly took "uppers" so that they could perform. Fortunately, they didn't become as addicted as Judy Garland had.

And one thing to know about the Grand Ole Opry was that they paid all their singers exactly the same. One flat fee each performance. There was no way a country music artist could make a living off the Opry. Selling records and touring were the way they made their money.

I used to work in the Country Music Association office. I knew all the gossip.

And by the way, Minnie Pearl was as funny offstage as she was on. But believe it or not in real life she was a very sophisticated and intelligent woman.

by Anonymousreply 3408/08/2010

Patsy was the best.

by Anonymousreply 3508/08/2010

Here's Patsy Cline speaking during an Ol' Opry performance.

by Anonymousreply 3608/08/2010

At the time Coal Miner's Daughter was made, I seriously doubt that Sissy had the clout to get anyone's role reduced via editing. If that indeed did happen, it sounds like it was the director's decision.

by Anonymousreply 3708/08/2010

Love Patsy. What a voice...

by Anonymousreply 3808/09/2010

Loretta has been open about using 'uppers'.

BTW this was one of two movies that Meryl Streep was turned down for.

Streep had even worked with the director of Sweet Dreams (Karel Reisz on French Lieutenant's Woman)

But the producers (who had also produced "Coal Miner's Daughter) were concerned about Streep ability to lip-synch. They asked her to do a screen test, in full wardrobe and make-up, as Patsy Cline.

Streep's representatives declined a test, feeling that would be insulting for someone of her stature. The part went to Jessica Lange, who had no problems testing.

Streep went on to work on her second choice for a film that year, Out of Africa.

The other role was Miss Keaton in 'Remains of the Day'. Mike Nichols was even producing, but Emma Thompson was WHITE-HOT after her Oscar win and had more clout at the time, while Meryl had three flops in a row.

Meryl was pissed and fired her management company and didn't talk to Nichols for a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 3908/09/2010

The problem I always had was that the Coal Miner's Daughter portrayal of Patsy was dead on accurate, down to how she looked and talked (that was Sissy's strength in the film too). No doubt because it was based on Loretta's book.

Jessica, who wasn't bad, was the physical beauty of the time Sweet Dreams was made and that just always rankled. Far too "pretty" and I could just never by her as the loud mouthed, nearly vulgar Patsy Cline. Not to mention, Patsy had a beautiful full voice and could belt out a song in a way that you just cannot imagine Jessica Lange doing.

by Anonymousreply 4008/09/2010

Sweet Dreams is an incredible film and while I wish they would have explored her relationship with other singers, I didn't feel like I was missing any part of her story at the end. %0D %0D Brilliant movie, Lange deserves all the endearing accolades she's received for it. It's one of the very few films I could watch over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 4108/09/2010

Loretta named one of her daughters after Patsy, that is how much she loved Patsy, She really owes her career to her, as she she always says Patsy took her under her wing and taught her everything she knew.

The only thing Loretta objected to in the film (about Patsy) was the scene where Charlie brought Patsy beer in her hospital room. She said that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 4208/09/2010

[quote]There are still old ladies in Harrisonburg Virginia who refer to Mrs. Dick as a whore.%0D %0D That would be Winchester, Virginia, more likely, as that was her home town. I don't recall that she had many ties to Harrisonburg, 70-some miles down the road. %0D %0D The story of well-heeled Winchester sorts turning up their nose at wrong-side-of-the-tracks Patsy is a bit overblown, one of those stories that had more than a kernel of truth -- at one time -- and which has been repeated with wholesale laziness in endless news stories. %0D %0D Given that she moved away more than a half-century ago, any grudge has lost its edge so that now, those few who would remember her by chosing to overlook her, don't so much have to bother.%0D %0D In Winchester the attention to Cline is largely from outsiders. A local pharmacy where she worked at the lunch counter has a dinky display of memorabilia, but one that pales against the window display of bedpans and walkers. There are occasional pilgrages and events held at suburban hotels (where Charlie Dick may appear as honored guest), but it's not a big local thing. Similarly, efforts to turn her childhood home into a museum have been led not by locals but by fans from afar. She's not forgotten: her name turns up in the local Cherry Blossom Parade and on a few streets, but it's not exactly Patsy Cline Town. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4308/09/2010

Beverly D'Angelo was much better as Patsy Cline than Jessica Lange was. Lange was incredibly miscast in the role.%0D %0D Ed Harris was not the right type for Charlie Dick. Harris as Dick was sexy and masculine. Pictures of Charlie Dick show that he was a skinny, goofy looking guy. And supposedly he was a "dick" in more ways than one. I heard he was a jerk who loved to spend Patsy's money.%0D %0D Patsy Cline was a good ol' country girl. She was talkative, good-natured, fun, down to earth, robust and very likeable. She liked to have a good time, but I never heard that she was ever seen passed out drunk with her dress pulled up to show that she wasn't wearing underwear.%0D %0D I think she was one of the greatest singers of all time.%0D %0D It's funny the way country music stars are portrayed in movies. The actors who play them are frequently the opposite physical type from the person they are playing. Skinny, small-featured Lange was pretty ridiculous as Cline. While watching the movie all I could think was "that's Jessica Lange up there." I never thought the character was Cline, just Lange. And the same went for Reese Witherspoon as June Carter. June Carter was a big-boned, buxom country girl with a deep voice and a face that was atttractive but coarse featured. Witherspoon is tiny like a little bird, with small cutie pie features and a high-pitched twittery voice. I thought she was totally unconvincing as Carter, but she won an Academy Award. What a crock!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4408/09/2010

I had never seen a picture of Charlie, so you can imagine my disappointment at learning that he looked nothing whatsoever like the divine, yummy Ed Harris.%0D %0D Beverly played a better Patsy.

by Anonymousreply 4508/09/2010

R44, you recall that George Hamilton played Hank Williams? Same thing. Made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4608/09/2010

Funny how everyone comments about Lange being too skinny for the role. But my memory of her character in the movie is that of a big-hipped, goodtime gal. How hippopotamic did she have to get to approximate the real Cline?

by Anonymousreply 4708/09/2010

Beverly D'Angelo was pretty much my introduction to Patsy Cline. Or Miss Patsy Cline as Spacek calls her in CMD. She was fantastic in that role and it made me what to listen to more of Cline's music.

by Anonymousreply 4808/09/2010

Beverly D'Angelo is not exactly big, either.

by Anonymousreply 4908/09/2010

Love Bev, but have you seen Entourage this season?

by Anonymousreply 5008/09/2010

"I used to work in the Country Music Association office. I knew all the gossip."%0D %0D R34 - Come sit by me and I'll buy you a cocktail or 12.

by Anonymousreply 5108/09/2010

Since being passed out on the lawn with her skirt pulled up and her panties off would be a pretty good indication that she'd been raped, the neighbors would have been heartless assholes for just leaving her there and gossiping about it afterwards. Except it never happened, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5208/09/2010

[quote]They would be drinking, gambling and coming on to other women.%0D %0D Not just coming on to, R34. Sleeping with as many as they could.%0D %0D My dad grew up in Springfield, Missouri, back when it was a contender for the country music capital. My grandfather worked for a HUGE sponsor of the Springfield country radio shows, so my dad as a kid and teen got to hang around at the radio station KWTO. Also, my great uncle was Slim Wilson (link below), so dad got to hang around the musicians a lot since he was related to a big name performer.%0D %0D He hated the Carter Family. Said they were rude, pretentious, pretended to be holier than thou but would drink and cuss like sailors. He specifically disliked June Carter, as they were the same age and I guess she was a very snotty preteen. She wouldn't talk to anyone who wasn't "someone".

by Anonymousreply 5308/09/2010

Geena Davis would have been the ideal Patsy Cline on film. Now there's a big girl.

by Anonymousreply 5408/09/2010

[quote]a pretty good indication that she'd been raped

That didn't cross my mind at all when I read the post. And there is really no need to call someone a liar just because YOU don't like their story.

by Anonymousreply 5508/09/2010

"Not just coming on to, [R34]. Sleeping with as many as they could."%0D %0D Well yes, but they wouldn't be sleeping with women while their wives were onstage. They had to wait around for their wives to finish so that they could collect that night's cash receipts. They would chat up the women and arrange to sleep with them after the show or at some more convenient time.%0D %0D And I didn't think Reese's portray of June Carter Cash was realistic. Every time I've met her, she seemed a bit on the spacy side. A nice woman, but not really present in the moment, kind of like someone who has just awakened from a very deep sleep.

by Anonymousreply 5608/09/2010

[quote]He specifically disliked June Carter, as they were the same age and I guess she was a very snotty preteen. She wouldn't talk to anyone who wasn't "someone."

So Reese Witherspoon wasn't as miscast as I thought she was.

by Anonymousreply 5708/09/2010

[quote]Since being passed out on the lawn with her skirt pulled up and her panties off would be a pretty good indication that she'd been raped%0D %0D What if she had to take a whiz on the lawn and then passed out afterward?

by Anonymousreply 5808/09/2010

Patsy could be a real scream. Once on a airplane, after the captain made an announcement for the passengers to fasten their seatbelts, Patsy got up, straddled the aisle and shouted, "You heard the captain ladies! Fasten your sanitary belts!" On a road trip with Faron Young and some other Opry stars to a concert, Patsy told the driver, "Hey, hoss, pull off at the next filling station. I gotta change my firecracker!"

I highly recommend Margaret Jones's biography if anyone wants to learn more.

by Anonymousreply 5908/09/2010

Meryl has said that this role was the one (next to Sophies Choice) that she most wanted.

by Anonymousreply 6008/09/2010

Lange may not have been a Cline duplicate, but I think she did a good job. %0D %0D But D'Angelo... wow.

by Anonymousreply 6108/09/2010

Loretta Lynn said in her second autobiography that she couldn't understand why they didn't get D'Angelo to play Patsy in the "Sweet Dreams" film--she stated that it was spooky interacting with Beverly on the set of "Coal Miner's Daughter" because Beverly was so much like Patsy in mannerisms and speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 6208/09/2010

[quote]Not to mention, Patsy had a beautiful full voice and could belt out a song in a way that you just cannot imagine Jessica Lange doing.

Well, Lange 'sang' to Cline's recordings.

by Anonymousreply 6308/10/2010

R62 Loretta never said or wrote that. I too read the second bio, and it is no where in there. In fact she never even visited the set of Coal Miner's Daughter after she finished coaching Sissy.

by Anonymousreply 6408/10/2010

Patsy really was a scream. She had a filthy mouth and a bawdy sense of humor. I read somewhere that she was on the road with a bunch of Opry guys, and was the only woman in the group. One night Patsy and the men were gathered in a hotel room and drinking like fish. Patsy, three sheets to the wind, shouted "alright boys, get your rubbers out!" The men handed Patsy their condoms. Patsy went to the sink in the bathroom, filled the condoms with water, then threw them out the window, one by one, on the other hotel guests as they were entering/leaving the building.

by Anonymousreply 6508/10/2010

You're probably right, R64. I've read tons on both Loretta and Patsy and I may have gotten my sources mixed. But Loretta DID say that about Beverly D'Angelo in an interview or article somewhere, or possibly another book.

by Anonymousreply 6608/10/2010

I get culture shock every time I watch Coal Miner's Daughter. Remember the mother's poor dentistry and the father's migraines?

"Taka baby out and rock'er Loretty!"

It's just... bleak.

by Anonymousreply 6708/10/2010

I don't think the "Sweet Dreams" producers had anywhere near enough money to pay Streep or D'Angelo, especially the back-end percentages they'd have wanted which were already committed elsewhere. Cline and Harris were more reasonably priced -- plus the producers were know-it-alls, not knowledgeable about country music (despite "CMD" being out there for all to study.) If Reisz hadn't directed, "SD" would have sunk like a stone.

by Anonymousreply 6808/10/2010

Reese Witherspoon must read Datalounge as she has now made the announcement that she is in negotiations to play...%0D %0D Peggy Lee.

by Anonymousreply 6908/10/2010

The evidence that Patsy was a "scream" has, in both cases, convinced me otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7008/10/2010

R70, were you once hit by a condom water balloon?

by Anonymousreply 7108/10/2010

bump for dear Patsy

by Anonymousreply 7201/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 7304/01/2013

Gene Siskel gave Jessica a unique, backhanded accolade for this film.

He voted her as the worst Oscar nomination for 1985. He said she only got the nom because she was popular in H'wood.

Do you think she was hurt?

by Anonymousreply 7410/18/2014

wouldn't anyone be?

by Anonymousreply 7510/18/2014

Wait until I get a hold of this part!

by Anonymousreply 7610/18/2014

I liked her videos. One had her singing away while ironing.

Was she the first to do them?

by Anonymousreply 7710/18/2014

[quote]He voted her as the worst Oscar nomination for 1985. He said she only got the nom because she was popular in H'wood.

How is that a backhanded compliment?

by Anonymousreply 7810/18/2014

The scene of Lange as Cline onstage singing "Sweet Dreams" is visually gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 7910/18/2014

Isn't it obvious?

by Anonymousreply 8010/18/2014

Patsy would have been a great friend of the gays; too bad they didn't invent gays until the 1970s though.

by Anonymousreply 8110/18/2014

They wanted Lucy for the part but Gary insisted on her singing the songs instead of lip synching them. The producers balked on that point so Gary talked her out of it.

We'll never to what heights Lucy could have taken that role to.

by Anonymousreply 8210/18/2014

Tennessee Ernie Ford helped Lucy with the audition.

by Anonymousreply 8310/19/2014

I like her but wouldn't want to meet her. She knew many of her songs were stolen from people. That's a Grade A cunt. Perhaps her death is a bit of the old karma since her fame was acquired via theft.

by Anonymousreply 8410/19/2014

I heard Lucy wouldn't do it because they wouldn't cast Gale Gordon as Charlie Dick.

by Anonymousreply 8510/19/2014

What do people know about Minnie Pearl?

She was married to a guy but no kids. She was a friend to KD Lang when she was trying to sing country...and Chely Wright visited her when Pearl was ailing after a stroke.

by Anonymousreply 8610/19/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!