Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remember when "Rachel Getting Married" came out and you all said it was great?

Well, you were fucking wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013

I never said so. I thought it was a steaming pile of shit.

by Anonymousreply 108/07/2010

But wasn't the dishwasher scene great?

by Anonymousreply 208/07/2010

Wasn't it the worst? The only good moment in the *entire* film was when Anne Hathaway shouted at the omnipresent musicians to stop playing.

"Oh, I'd *love* to go to that wedding!" they said. As if. If that was my family, I'd be a drug addict too.

by Anonymousreply 308/07/2010

I must be having memory problems, did someone say something about this when it came out? I don't even remember it being a blip in the conversation here.

by Anonymousreply 408/07/2010

Hathaway looked fat in it

by Anonymousreply 508/08/2010

Actually, we had at least three long threads about the film. I know, because I contributed to them.

by Anonymousreply 608/08/2010

I didn't say that, OP. I said it was tiresome, annoying, and made me so motion sick that I almost threw up. We left 30 minutes after it started and snuck into a showing of Milk. If nothing else would have been showing at the time (the Milk showing was pretty late), I would have asked for my money back, and I have never done that.

by Anonymousreply 708/08/2010

When did we all say it was great? Some people liked it, others didn't.

by Anonymousreply 808/08/2010

I hated every single person in that family. They all should have died in that car wreck that Kym caused because she was high on pills and killed her little brother and caused those issues!

by Anonymousreply 908/08/2010

Demme has been in a slow decline for years. "Crazy Mama" was light-years better than "Rachel," and I'm not being deliberately lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 1008/08/2010

The musician friends their constant smug words of 'wisdom' during toasts and the like made the movie unwatchable. And the actual music was like torture.

by Anonymousreply 1108/08/2010

Jonathon Demme's son was in the 'band', which may explain the shit music. %0D %0D The faux-'PC' vibe was vomitsome. The trite back story (oh hey guys, I killed my baby brother while hopped up on pills!) was the worst part.

by Anonymousreply 1208/08/2010

"We left 30 minutes after it started and snuck into a showing of Milk."%0D %0D Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire.%0D %0D I thought the actors were terrific in their roles. The real problem was that several scenes just went on and on. I think if they had shortened them (especially the wedding at the end) it would have made quite a difference. %0D %0D I still think the Hathaway/Winger confrontation is powerful. And scoff at Hathaway all you want, but the bitch more than held her own with Winger.

by Anonymousreply 1308/08/2010

I don't recall anyone here saying the film was great. In fact, I don't recall any discussion at all.

by Anonymousreply 1408/08/2010

I quite liked it. I espcially liked the chick who played the sister getting married. Wonderful actress. I loved Winger as well.

I attempted to watch a second time recently on Demand, and I could barely stand it.

It is a one shot deal. I think this is what they call a character study?

Does not hold up like Five Easy Pieces.

by Anonymousreply 1508/08/2010

Was Rachel played by the same actress who played Midge the beatnik on Mad Men?

Was the groom supposed to be autistic?

I know a lot of selfish drug addicts but Kim was the worst kind of caricature of selfish I've ever seen.

The ambiguous ending after nearly two hours of that Blair Witch, puke your seat camera work was crazy making.

Debra Winger isn't that great an actress.

Who the hell is paying for all that fucking rehab.

by Anonymousreply 1608/08/2010

My friend Julie, the cunt, loved it. That's all I needed to know.

by Anonymousreply 1708/08/2010

love it.

certainly better than 'devil wears prada'

by Anonymousreply 1808/08/2010

The movie was brilliant. The whole point was it wasn't suspossed to feel like a movie. It was supossed to give you that fly on the wall feeling.%0D %0D It is one of the most brilliant pieces of cinema I've seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 1908/08/2010

r16 -- yes. same actress. She was very good in both roles.

I actually liked the moments of confrontation between the family members, and the way they spoke to each other. It was the pretentiousness of the side characters that killed the movie.

I also though that Debra Winger was horrible in it. She's almost always interesting in movies, but in this one it was like she didn't even understand the role. She just looked drunk.

by Anonymousreply 2008/08/2010

The diswasher scene made me want to mainline heroin and then hack the family to bits with a machete.

by Anonymousreply 2108/08/2010

I don't know what was so great about it either. Margo at the wedding wasn't great either

by Anonymousreply 2208/08/2010

R19: It was supossed to give you that fly on the wall feeling.

Well, it gave me that fly on shit feeling. There was nothing about that movie that felt like real life. That family was awful the way people are awful in movies, not real life. They were caricatures of "real people with issues."

Overrated. Piece. Of. Crap.

by Anonymousreply 2308/08/2010

I'd have enjoyed being a fly on the wall if the editing had been better. That rehearsal dinner was interminable. And boring. The wedding guest and family were aggressively quirky. I found it infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 2408/08/2010

Why do you feel the need to have your opinion validated?

I loved the movie, as did the person who went with me. Even if everyone else in the whole wide world hated it, it would not have lessened my enjoyment. Perhaps you will find a movie you enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 2508/08/2010

Was Anne dating the black nurse?

by Anonymousreply 2608/08/2010

This is you, right, R25?

by Anonymousreply 2708/08/2010

I can hardly remember it, but I think at the time I thought the movie was so-so, but Hathaway was quite good.

I do seem to remember that the wedding dancing scene would not fucking end...

by Anonymousreply 2808/08/2010

Well R27. I can see you can't be fooled.

by Anonymousreply 2908/08/2010

I don't care. Thanks to that movie, I discovered TV on the Radio, a band fronted by the guy who plays the groom.%0D %0D I like this kinds of movies, with the quirky characters by the way. I can relate with most on some level.

by Anonymousreply 3008/09/2010

The acting was good, but the writing, direction and editing were down right painful. I think I've blocked almost all of it from my memory.

by Anonymousreply 3108/09/2010

I loved Anne's performance in it.

by Anonymousreply 3208/12/2012

I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 3308/12/2012

It was okay, but it wasn't great and I certainly didn't get all the press chatter about how great it was. The same with the film Nicole Kidman was in, Margot at the wedding. The way these were reviewed I thought something great happened in the films. Nothing happened. It was just standard family drama. Tepid family drama. Most of the movies on the Lifetime network are more interesting than these were

by Anonymousreply 3408/12/2012

R34 - nothing has to happen. Both movies are character studies.

by Anonymousreply 3508/12/2012

I agree that the movie could have used a much more effective editor. But Anne was wonderful in it. I was more than satisfied with "nothing" happening, as it was a character study. But the scenes, however small in dramatic scope, just dragged on and on and on... that's inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 3608/12/2012

R23, loved your comment. For a 'character piece' ensemble, none of them seemed anything more than defined by their obnoxious one 'quirk'.

by Anonymousreply 3708/12/2012

I really like pretty much everyone who was involved with this thing but I didn't think it was such great shakes either. In particular I think Anne Hathaway is generally delightful but I didn't get the raves for her here at all. But Rosemarie DeWitt was great, I liked seeing the guy from TV on the Radio do ok for himself for whatever reason, and it makes for pretty indie background noise if it's on cable.

by Anonymousreply 3808/12/2012

Haven't seen it. I must have missed the bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 3908/12/2012

I never said it was great. Have you stopped beating your dog, OP, or still not talking about it?

by Anonymousreply 4008/12/2012

It's a fine movie. Not great, not awful. Anne is OK, the woman who plays the sister is shit.

HATE the dishwasher scene.

HATE that the TV On the Radio guy was cast (though I would fuck him if given the chance).

Fine. Forgettable. Next.

by Anonymousreply 4108/12/2012

This is the only movie that STILL makes me mad to have spent $10 and 2 hours of my life sitting through it. Pretentious, trite, tedious and a critical darling. What a nightmare!

by Anonymousreply 4208/13/2012

You spent ten dollars on a 2005 movie?

by Anonymousreply 4308/13/2012

Whatever, R43. My point is, even $1 would have been too much.

by Anonymousreply 4408/13/2012

The only two good characters in the movie were the stepmom who is Mrs. Akalitus on NURSE JACKIE and the dumb bitch who said "Didn't I see you on COPS?" in the 7-11 at the beginning.

I saw this with a friend who was shouting "End! End, dammit! Just fucking end!" at the screen. People agreed and applauded him.

by Anonymousreply 4508/13/2012

I liked the diversity in the wedding party, but it got a bit too "hipster precious" for me at times. The dishwasher scene was just embarrassing and weird. Tunde Adebimpe (the groom) is also in a cute indie called Jump Tomorrow that plays on IFC a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4608/13/2012

The actors got great reviews, but reaction to the film among critics was pretty mixed. I wouldn't call it overrated at all.

The film is hard to relate to, IMO. It deals with a very small subsection of 2% society, albeit one that is racially inclusive, artistically bent, and liberal. But R46 is dead on labeling the film "hipster pretentious," LOL. You know you're trying too hard with a white bride, black groom, and Indian food as the wedding feast.

by Anonymousreply 4708/13/2012

Embodiment of hipster pretentious is Sam Mendes' "Away We Go". What a fucking dreadful film.

We should pick a movie once in a while to overhype to everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4808/13/2012

I liked it. You people have no taste. But what do I know? I liked Margot At The Wedding.

Have 'em both on Blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 4908/13/2012

I thought Winger stole the movie in her one (maybe two scenes? it's been a while) her essaying of a emotionally unavailable narcissistic mother was eerily effective. You could see the part both "nurture" and "nature" played in making Hathaway's character the way she was.

by Anonymousreply 5008/13/2012

They showed it on Channel 13 here in NYC last night.

It's pretty bad. Really, really hard to sit through. Faux-documentary style is so lazy, and Demme is already a pretty lazy, self-indulgent filmmaker.

I understand that Rachel was marrying an African-American man. But what exactly was the rationale for the Bollywood Indian wedding trappings? Cause Demme liked the music? Liked the saris? Cause Bollywood became really hip within the past decade?

Aging white hipsters wrapping themselves in ethnic realness is really, really offensive, I think.

by Anonymousreply 5106/23/2013

[quote]The only good moment in the *entire* film was when Anne Hathaway shouted at the omnipresent musicians to stop playing.

I Wiki'd it when it was on a while ago and that exchange wasn't scripted.

by Anonymousreply 5206/23/2013

One of my favorite scenes was a deleted scene of Kym in the receiving line. She has a black eye from the accident and looks like she doesn't want to be there. This bratty girl comes up to her and yells, "What happened to YOU?" It's fucking hilarious. There's also a woman who comes up to her and says in this snarky faux-polite way, "Hi! Do you remember me? You don't remember me, do you? You owe me eight hundred dollars."

by Anonymousreply 5306/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!