Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Frances Farmer

Victim or crazy bitch?

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2013

cocksucker

by Anonymousreply 108/07/2010

I'd like to see the Susan Blakely TV movie about her. Anyone know where to find it?

by Anonymousreply 208/07/2010

Do you expect me, for one moment, to believe you have greater insight into my per%C3%82%C2%ADsonality than I do?

by Anonymousreply 408/07/2010

The lobotomy has been disputed. Lots of Electric Shock Therapy, though, and the asylum rapes did happen.

by Anonymousreply 508/07/2010

R2, that is a much better version than the version with Jessica Lang. The Susan Blakely TV movie explains much more about Frances Farmer's life and her mental illness than Jessica Lang's version.

by Anonymousreply 608/07/2010

The structure of the Lange movie was lousy as were the production values and the bizarre Sam Shepard narration. Is Blakely's performance on par with Lange's?

by Anonymousreply 708/07/2010

[quote]Frances Farmer was gang rapped by the asylum orderlies and wardens. %0D %0D They had rap music back then?

by Anonymousreply 808/07/2010

Absolutely R4. If you were more analytical, it might be different, of course.

by Anonymousreply 908/07/2010

[quote]Frances Farmer was gang rapped by the asylum orderlies and wardens. I thought that bit was debunked.

by Anonymousreply 1008/07/2010

FRANCES FARMER WAS ABDUCTED BY ALIENS!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1108/07/2010

Here is an essay called "Shedding Light on Shadowland" which debunks a lot of the myths that were created for "Shadowland" (the book on which the movie is based.)

by Anonymousreply 1208/07/2010

I read her book, "Will There Ever Be a Tomorrow?" or something like that, and in the book she describes the first moments when she was put into the asylum. She was taken to a holding cell with another woman and inside was an old man. Soon the old man began farting, and then SPLAT! He shit his pants. She began choking and gagging. It was HELL.

Years later, a stray cat somehow got into the ward and those fucking crazy dames ripped this poor cat apart.

And then after she was out she lived with this woman and it pretty much seemed like they were a couple. She never said they were, but it pretty much seemd that way.

by Anonymousreply 1308/07/2010

The lobotomy never happened.

However, Kenneth Anger wrote in 'Hollywood Babylon' that Frances's mother "wiggled her fat ass down to Hollywood, had her daughter declared mentally incompetent and signed the commitment papers." Pretty accurate on that front.

by Anonymousreply 1408/07/2010

She'll come back as fire, And burn all the liars, leave a blanket of ash on the ground

by Anonymousreply 1508/07/2010

FRANCES FARMER WILL HAVE HER REVENGE ON SEATTLE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1608/07/2010

[quote]Soon the old man began farting, and then SPLAT! He shit his pants. She began choking and gagging. It was HELL.

Sounds hilarious to me!

by Anonymousreply 1708/07/2010

r4 is quoting the movie r9.

by Anonymousreply 1808/07/2010

momma drew up the contract...so I'm here

by Anonymousreply 1908/07/2010

Not revenge at all.

by Anonymousreply 2008/07/2010

"Terribly, terribly sorry; I overslept. What's the name of this fine tentertainment we're all so involved in? Oh yes. "No Escape." That's it. tThere's no escape."

by Anonymousreply 2108/07/2010

Susan Blakely Clips

by Anonymousreply 2208/07/2010

i just watched FRANCES streaming on netflix yesterday. how topical.

by Anonymousreply 2308/08/2010

Little sister. Little sister, this is going to be out of my hands.

It isn't in your hands mother.

by Anonymousreply 2408/08/2010

r9, had Frances' lobotomy for her. Way to be a fan!!

by Anonymousreply 2508/08/2010

R13, In 1960 my mother was a 19 yr old nursing student in NJ. she had to work a few weeks at a mental hospital/asylum as part of her training. She said it was truly like a snake pit. Old ladies sitting in their own waste all day. Big recreation type rooms full of seriously, seriously mentally ill people. There were patients that were talking to themselves,talking to the walls,screaming, rocking back and forth all day long. Half of the patients were put in chairs and tied down with restraints for the whole day.%0D %0D %0D %0D My mom cried and told me she felt so bad for the little old ladies. A lot of the patients were dumped in there by their families or didn't have families. A person could go to the asylum with minor problems but by being exposed to all of that day in and day out it turned them completely insane.

by Anonymousreply 2608/08/2010

And now we just turn them loose and let them wander around our cities. We've come so far...

by Anonymousreply 2708/08/2010

awesome

by Anonymousreply 2808/08/2010

Well....

by Anonymousreply 2908/08/2010

That is awful r26.

by Anonymousreply 3008/09/2010

I have an old video of the movie "Frances." I watched it again recently, and it's pretty bad.%0D %0D Lange's performance was incredibly overrated. Her whispery, lisping voice is terrible and frequently barely audible. Her acting is adequate, nothing more. But roles like this one are almost a shoo-in for an Oscar nom, and Lange got one. %0D %0D The best performance in the film is Kim Stanley's as Lillian Farmer. Stanley too was Oscar nominated for her performance. I think she should have won. %0D %0D Probably the worst thing about the movie was Sam Shepard as "Harry", a lovesick reporter who follows Frances around like a puppy dog her entire life, popping up throughout the movie to spring Frances from the nuthouse periodically. "Harry" never existed. If only Frances Farmer HAD someone like that in her life. There were many fictions in the movie, but "Harry" was the worst. The movie's director said by way of explanation "we didn't want to nickel and dime people to death with facts."%0D %0D As for Farmer herself, well, she was probably her own worst enemy. As a teenager she wrote an essay about how she found out that God was dead and wondered why other people didn't realize that; that didn't make her too many friends. And she went to Russia at a time when Russia and Russians were considered evil incarnate. When she came back she claimed that Russia was a facinating place and that "my sympathy and support are all for Russia." That got her labeled a Commie. When in Hollywood she refused to play the Hollywood starlet (she was ahead of her time in that regard) was said to be "uncooperative." She was not exactly stable emotionally and was prone to lash out verbally and or physically when agitated. She was really a mess. And due to her own behavior, some very, very bad luck and a wacko mother she ended up in an asylum that was a true living hell.%0D %0D She wasn't lobotomized. But after being released from the snake pit she was never really the same again. She had a couple of awful marriages. She had a drinking problem. She hosted a local tv show for a while; after than ended she and her "friend (lover?)" Jean Ratcliffe tried to start a small business but that went kaput. She died in her fifties of throat cancer. A very sad, tortured life.%0D %0D You can talk about people like Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe and Dorothy Dandridge and how tragic their lives were, but none of them came anywhere close to the tragedy that was the life of Frances Farmer.

by Anonymousreply 3108/10/2010

I don't think Lange's performance was lousy at all in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3208/10/2010

[quote]I have an old video of the movie "Frances." I watched it again recently, and it's pretty bad.

[quote]Lange's performance was incredibly overrated. Her whispery, lisping voice is terrible and frequently barely audible. Her acting is adequate, nothing more. But roles like this one are almost a shoo-in for an Oscar nom, and Lange got one.

I agree. Lange's performances are usually what you described which is why I don't understand why she is so highly regarded in some circles. I can name dozens and dozens of other actresses who are better.

by Anonymousreply 3308/10/2010

She was a victim of her time for sure

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

Bipolar & borderline - so yeah cray

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

Frances Farmer was a bi-polar, maybe schizo, sometimes lesbian. It's very simple.

by Anonymousreply 3602/20/2013

Lol 36!

So simple?

:)

Below there is a charming photo of Frances Farmer from the movie 'Son of Fury: The Story of Benjamin Blake'

by Anonymousreply 3702/20/2013

I remember the Susan Blakely TV movie"Will There Really Be a Morning?", watching most of it. It was on around the same time that the film came out, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 3802/20/2013

A little of both.

by Anonymousreply 3902/20/2013

Neither. She was all rebel.

by Anonymousreply 4002/20/2013

I found this link interesting

by Anonymousreply 4102/20/2013

Wow, I had no idea that Frances Bean Cobain was named for Frances Farmer.

by Anonymousreply 4202/20/2013

Totally agree, R33. I like her, but I don't see why some on DL going into hysterics over her.

by Anonymousreply 4302/20/2013

I am posting the sad and disturbing and smarmy "This is You Life" episode that was done with Fraces Farmer in 1958.

I love Jessica Lange and will leave if for some other time, but in Frances she does this small head gesture, a turning and looking away with a reretful or perhaps bitter smile. The gesture is so unique, touching and disturbing.

You can see that exact movement in the real Frances Farmer here, trying to maintain her dignity, going through some motions of glossing over memories... it is sad and fascinating.

You can also see her troubles and her suppressed anger at the chiding presentation of her illness, and the condescending judgement of Ralph Edwards.

Her sisters seem to have loved her and she was diagnosed as schizophrenic. The complexities of her life are all glossed over of course she must renounce her rebellious intelligent spirit and embrace god and be given a BRAND NEW CAR!

It is kind of disgusting. Can't help but feel her humiliation and sadness, and be fascinated by the fleeting emotions that cross her face. Defiance, amusement, practiced composure, and it appears that she would like to call bullshit.

She tries to advocate for better Mental Health care and goes along with the tale of redemption and being cured. So Americans can better sleep that night. She is not lobotomized, but she has been sanitized and dirtied at once.

Yeah, she was a bit of both.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2013

I love Farmer in COME AND GET IT and it's a shame she never had a chance like that again.

I haven't seen FRANCES in years but I recall that the whole thing seemed to lack good lighting and looked cheap. I think Lange got the nomination because she came back after the disaster that was KING KONG. And she had some critical success the year before in THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE but wasn't nominated.

by Anonymousreply 4502/21/2013

Uh ... no, r45, Lange got the nomination because she was brilliant in FRANCES. If Streep hadn't been pre-ordained the winner for Sophie's Choice, Lange would have won.

by Anonymousreply 4602/21/2013

I love Lange's performance in "Frances". I think she was incredible.

The biggest tragedy was her psycho mother having so much legal control over her life. I can't imagine what a hell that would be. She had the power to send her back to the bin whenever she wanted and lorded it over her.

Frances must have been such an interesting person. I love her essay she wrote as a high school girl (linked) I believe the film starts with it?

So much beauty and talent that was never properly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 4702/21/2013

Life is cruel

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2013

Frances Farmer and her pitbull dog, Karl Marx (1937)

by Anonymousreply 4902/22/2013

Oscar Homolka, Frances Farmer and Ray Milland between scenes of 'Ebb Tide'

by Anonymousreply 5002/22/2013

That "memoir" of hers called "Will There Really Be A Morning?" is bogus. Originally Frances had been collaborating with a writer in order to create an autobiography, but the writer had to stop work on it due to being sent on some other assignment. After France's death her roommate Jean Radcliffe took up the task; "Will There Really Be A Morning?" is mostly a lot of lurid tales thought up by Jean Radcliffe. She even dedicated the book to herself! The writing is REALLY bad, and the book contains an unbelieveably repulsive scene describing a bull dyke attendant's lesbian rape of a helpless mental patient.

by Anonymousreply 5102/22/2013

Lol R51

Alright!

by Anonymousreply 5202/22/2013

Beautiful women often have a tragic and sad ending.

by Anonymousreply 5302/22/2013

France Farmer, 1930s

by Anonymousreply 5403/13/2013

victim

by Anonymousreply 5511/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.