Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Emma Thompson says Audrey Hepburn was twee and a bad actress!

Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 31805/24/2013

True. Hepburn was insufferable. Stupid voice, too.

by Anonymousreply 108/06/2010

This from the woman who stars in Nanny McPhee films.

by Anonymousreply 208/06/2010

Agree or disagree, I like Thompson's frankness and the fact that she has an opinion and is not afraid to say it. Can you imagine an American actress saying something like this about another actress (especially someone as highly regarded as A. Hepburn)?

by Anonymousreply 308/06/2010

If Hepburn's highly regarded, she's certainly overly regarded. While I don't think Hepburn was an entirely worthless actress, she got too much mileage out of having a thin, bird-like neck, and most of her movies are boring, romantic crap. My Fair Lady and Wait Until Dark are the only two I can think of I like. Anyway, nice to see a sacred cow like her get properly skewered.

by Anonymousreply 408/06/2010

Hepburn was a product of her time.

by Anonymousreply 508/06/2010

she's right. Thompson is flawless as an actress - she's a million times better than Hepburn, she has every right to think what she wants about another actress.

by Anonymousreply 608/06/2010

She's right. Audrey Hepburn was beautiful, but she was a horrible actress. If you want a good laugh, watch "Wait Until Dark."

by Anonymousreply 708/06/2010

Is that the one with the doll and the drugs?

by Anonymousreply 808/06/2010

Yes, R8.

by Anonymousreply 908/06/2010

[quote]Is that the one with the doll and the drugs?

Nope. You're thinking of the webmaster's home movies we stumbled upon in the DL attic.

by Anonymousreply 1008/06/2010

what the fuck is twee?

by Anonymousreply 1108/06/2010

i also like how serious and depressing she makes My Fair Lady sound...

by Anonymousreply 1208/06/2010

I love Emma Thompson but it really sucks that she said that. My punishment for Emma: tie her up and made to watch The Nun's Story until she eats her blasphemous words.

by Anonymousreply 1308/06/2010

Sorry, Emma, but almost fifty years later we're still talking about "Breakfast At Tiffany's" "My Fair Lady" and "Roman Holiday" to name a few. %0D %0D Most people can't even remember what film you won your oscar for. Or the fact that you even won an oscar.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1408/06/2010

I agree with Emma about Audrey's acting; but on the other hand, Audrey never visited onto the world ugly obnoxious derivative crap like "Nanny McPhee."

by Anonymousreply 1508/06/2010

This isn't the first time she said something like this. She's a cunt and I completely see why her husband dumped her%0D %0D %0D %0D I read an article about her foster/child/ adult (some young man from Africa who she has supported) and he is a very bitter asshole. He's a hater. When I read that I got a good insight into what she's really like because of who she surrounds herself with

by Anonymousreply 1608/06/2010

Flawless as an actress, R6? Too funny. You apparently missed her earlier work. And Carrington. Or saw the same character she has played over and over and over.

What does it say about her that her roles in Harry Potter and Nanny McPhee are the ones that have "stretched" her very much as an actress?

It's sad that she stooped to this level -- not classy at all. And not good for her karma.

Saying "I'm sure she was a delightful woman" will also come off as a dismissive slap against one of the greatest humanitarians to come out of Hollywood.

Eerie how much Emma sounds like Naomi Campbell in this. Arrogant. Bitch. British.

by Anonymousreply 1708/06/2010

Karma doesn't exist, moron.

by Anonymousreply 1808/06/2010

Has anyone ever noticed how Emma's struggled to suppress sobs are eerily similar in HOWARD'S END, REMAINS OF THE DAY, SENSE AND SENSIBILITY and LOVE ACTUALLY? Creepy.

She's an old maid and a cow on screen.

She's an old maid and a cow in Hollywood, writing for other better (or at least prettier) actresses.

And she's not even twee.

At least Audrey was twee.

by Anonymousreply 1908/06/2010

God, I wish Emma had said that stuff about Meryl Streep. It's wasted on a shrivelled corpse in switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2010

There was no need for Thompson to do this, except to grab attention. Hepburn had limitations, of course, but she epitomized a style, energized the business, thrilled people in the business (they fell over themselves to meet her, host her at parties, introduce her...), and did a wonderful job in many movies.

Her work in Roman Holiday, Sabrina, War and Peace, Funny Face, Charade, Two for the Road, Robin and Marian, Nun's Story and Love in the Afternoon may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I can enjoy her very much in all of them, plus My Fair Lady. In fact, I'll wager that Julie Andrews would not have acted any better, whatever her singing would have brought to it.

She's not my favorite, but she's iconic. It says a lot more about Thompson than Hepburn that Miss Emma went on about this. And I, for one, cannot remember what Thompson won an Oscar for. Was it Sense and Sensibility, or was that mess her screen work? Was it the one or other with Anthony Hopkins? Plus she's terrible in the Harry Potter movies. Arse twat.

by Anonymousreply 2108/06/2010

Emma Thompson who? Never remember any of her films. Yes that is a lie I do remember her in McPhee or something where the production saved a lot in make up by hiring her.

by Anonymousreply 2208/06/2010

It's about time the tide turned against Audrey - just an inoffensive angelic asexual in my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2308/06/2010

If I was as homely as Emma, I'd hate Audrey as well.

by Anonymousreply 2408/06/2010

This one scene pretty much BULLDOZES anything Hepburn ever put to film:

by Anonymousreply 2508/06/2010

All the roles R21 lists are roles Emma Thompson couldn't have pulled off if her life depended on it.

Emma in FUNNY FACE? Emma in THE NUN'S STORY? In the CHILDREN'S HOUR? In SABRINA? ROMAN HOLIDAY?

Audrey was and remains a star.

Emma is a clunky piece of space junk.

by Anonymousreply 2608/06/2010

Preach, Emma! I fucking hate Roman Holiday and Sabrina. And I will never forgive the way she massacred My Fair Lady. Bitch can't even sing!

......Or act her way out of a paperbag.

And she wasn't that pretty either, just vulnerable and frail looking which I assume was/is the appeal. Yes, I liked Breakfast at Tiffany's so what? It was fun not a masterpiece.

Emma you speak the truth!

by Anonymousreply 2708/06/2010

Jesus, that is the campiest "acting" any actor has put on screen, R25. Shaving your head and croaking like Margaret Schlegel waking up and needing a sip of water is not acting.

Eileen Atkins acts circles around her in that scene.

by Anonymousreply 2808/06/2010

Emma wouldn't WANT to play any of Audrey's roles, you ninconpoop. She'd rewrite Audrey's parts and cast better actresses, like Kate Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 3008/06/2010

Is Twee not a word in America?

by Anonymousreply 3108/06/2010

She also thinks Keira Knightley is a great actress.%0D %0D Just amuse the old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 3208/06/2010

Jeff Goldblum loves the word "twee".

by Anonymousreply 3308/06/2010

Kate Wislet always looks like she just smelled something bad. Very distracting. Emma's best work was in an indie who done it called Judas' Kiss. Other than that, she is the same character.

And Hepburn is a goddess, you cunts.

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2010

Audrey is DIRE in Roman Holiday. "ROOOOOOME. By aaaaaall meeeeeans... ROME."

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2010

I hate the way Audrey has become all icon-ish in recent years. Horrid books about her 'style'. %0D %0D She didn't age gracefully. That weird Paris version of the London Mod Look was hideous on her.%0D %0D Though was was gorgeous in her youth & up until Tiffany's.

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2010

Oh sure, R30. If that had worked for her, she would've turned down her twentieth old maid role in LAST CHANCE HARVEY, rewritten it into a hit and cast a better actress in the part. How many fucking times do we have to see her do the same schtick over and over again.

And yet Audrey's great films live on in film lover's writings, while Emma's great "writings" -- I mean, oops, editing of great authors -- not so much.

She's a classless, overrated cow who thinks too much of her own wit, or lack thereof.

No wonder no one really wants her to star in anything anymore.

When the only star you've got is the one you had to pay for, well, let's just say she deserves to be stepped on.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2010

[quote]And I, for one, cannot remember what Thompson won an Oscar for.%0D %0D Howard's End, and unlike most of the Best Actress winners in the past 20 years (Reese, Nicole, etc.), she deserved it!

by Anonymousreply 3808/06/2010

Twee is destined to become a word in America, thanks to Emma ... nah, like her other great "wit", it will soon be forgotten.

Though I do find it useful, as in "The British are twee. Whimsy without the wit."

by Anonymousreply 3908/06/2010

What the fuck is mumsy, and why are Mary Kate Olson and House in a picture with Emma Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 4008/06/2010

I agree.

Audrey was a star because of her beauty, charm, class and that tiny body that was perfectly in style in the 1950s and1960s.

Fortunately she did good works in her lifetime for UNICEF and others.

I suspect she knew she was limited and used her fame for charity work.

by Anonymousreply 4108/06/2010

I saw Howard's End. Not remarkable work at all.

by Anonymousreply 4208/06/2010

Funny how most of the replies defending Hepburn are about her star power (goddess etc.), which Thompson wasn't even talking about.

by Anonymousreply 4308/06/2010

Right, R38, that's why she keeps acting those same notes OVER and OVER and OVER.... the reason she won for it THEN is that we hadn't seen it before and thought it was fresh. Had she done that today, people would be saying, that's just her. "Sad old cow."

If you Emma defenders were right, we wouldn't have to be shat on with Nanny McPhee commericals and her CGI dancing pigs. Now that's great writing!

She's cutting songs and trying to make it more like Pygmalion. With Kiera Knightley singing.

God I hope this bombs.

by Anonymousreply 4408/06/2010

R25, I wish you hadn't linked that clip.

Crying as I type... literally.

by Anonymousreply 4508/06/2010

I think Audrey was overzealous in her 'joie de vivre' persona because she had survived that terrible war. It distracted people from the fact that she was a severely limited actress. Let's also not forget that Audrey deprived Marilyn of the role she was born for - Holly Golightly. Truman Capote also couldn't stand Audrey.

by Anonymousreply 4608/06/2010

I will give you anti-Emma in Howards End bitches this much --- Miranda Richardson would have been even better as Margaret Schlegal.

by Anonymousreply 4708/06/2010

More importantly, though, Audrey Hepburn's two sons turned out delectably gay.

by Anonymousreply 4808/06/2010

I'm reading "Fifth Avenue, 5 A.M. - Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast At Tiffany's And The Dawn Of The Modern Woman." %0D %0D I haven't gotten that far into the book, but the young Hepburn had no illusions about her acting; in fact, she at first turned down Colette who wanted her to play Gigi on the stage. She told Colette she was a dancer, not an actress. Then after she got good reviews and her name went up in lights by the title she said, "Oh dear, and I've still got to learn how to act."%0D %0D At least give the lady points for a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 4908/06/2010

Miranda Richardson would have been better in ANY of Emma's roles.%0D %0D And I will still never forgive Mike Nichols for passing over Judith Light (who was a fucking revelation) in his "Wit" adaptation for television.

by Anonymousreply 5108/06/2010

[quote] Has Emma EVER played a sensual, passionate woman? Ever?

Yes, in Much Ado About Nothing, Imagining Argentina, The Tall Guy, Carrington...

by Anonymousreply 5208/06/2010

Hepburn existed in a realm where it wasn't necessary for her to comment on other actresses. Emma doesn't live in that realm nor can she ever hope to.

by Anonymousreply 5308/06/2010

[quote]amazingly nuanced, sensual and restrained pain Audrey exhibits in SABRINA

Are you sure you talking about the right version of Sabrina?

by Anonymousreply 5408/06/2010

Oh you poor cow, R52. Those women are not sensual. Carrington? Much Ado About Nothing? She was sexier when she was bald and dying in WIT.

And now we see where your taste is coming from.

We call this the bookish anglophile fetish. Let me guess: you orgasm when she says "scones" and "drooped glimmeringly" in Howard's End.

by Anonymousreply 5508/06/2010

R52 thinks THIS is sensual?

A virgin who dresses like a dyke?

Oh, I get it....

by Anonymousreply 5608/06/2010

Come on Emma lovers! The Audrey brigade are annihilating us!!! W&W for r56...

by Anonymousreply 5708/06/2010

Does ANYONE doubt that if Emma Thompson had done Sabrina, Breakfast at Tiffany's etc. she would have done that same cry so brilliantly parodied in VICAR OF DIBLEY...

by Anonymousreply 5808/06/2010

Bad video, but Dawn French doing the Emma blubber with more gusto and joy than Emma ever did it....even though she did in how many films?

by Anonymousreply 5908/06/2010

That was Marnie Nixon's voice in MY FAIR LADY, darling.%0D %0D And GOD I wish I could reach into 25's link and pull the plug on that ham.

by Anonymousreply 6008/06/2010

Well R55 I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. You, um, cow. I noticed you neglected to comment on the other two films I mentioned - you know, the ones that aren't anglophilic. How is The Tall Guy bookish? How does Imagining Argentina fit into to the whole alleged anglophile fetish?

Whatever, love. I quite like Audrey Hepburn, actually, and nothing Emma Thompson says will change that. I also like Emma. So fucking sue me.

You manage to quote pretty freely from Howard's [sic] End. Could it be that the heifer doth protest too much? Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 6108/06/2010

I tried to watch Thompson in Howard's End. But I came away from it thinking only of Vanessa Redgrave.

by Anonymousreply 6208/06/2010

[quote]Let me guess: you orgasm when she says "scones" and "drooped glimmeringly" in Howard's End.

That wouldn't make much sense.

When she says "drooped glimmeringly" in HOWARDS END, her character and Helena Bonham-Carter's are making fun of the prose of the late Victorian novelist George Meredith... they're quoting THE ORDEAL OF RICHARD FEVEREL only in order to mock its overwrought prose.

by Anonymousreply 6308/06/2010

jesus, R61, have YOU seen the Tall Guy?

Here's Emma -- short dykish haircut, Kate, british -- again, dyke-anglophile fetish...

by Anonymousreply 6408/06/2010

There's a scene in CARRINGTON when she says "Is there any chance he'll live?" to the nurse minding dying Lytton - I thought it was so poignant and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 6508/06/2010

Of course it wouldn't make much sense, R63.

And yet Emma lovers eat that shit up.

Point made.

by Anonymousreply 6608/06/2010

Emma Thompson is a nasty person.

by Anonymousreply 6708/06/2010

But she's hot.

by Anonymousreply 6808/06/2010

And back to R61, I haven't seen that fantastic star-making vehicle IMAGNING ARGENTINA, but if the trailer is any indication -- linked below -- we see how stunning Emma is as an actress when she tries to stretch herself.

What the hell kind of accent is that?

Uh, it's British, pretending to be Argentinian? And she still looks like a virgin who dresses like a dyke.

And by the way, my ex-boyfriend, who you'd never guess from looking at him had this hidden anglophile fetish, made me watch HOWARD'S END about 20 times. That's why I know it.

But You, "love", have your fetish oozing out of your post.

The point is the woman you think is sensual is the woman in these clips?

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 6908/06/2010

You've been hurt before, haven't you, R66?

by Anonymousreply 7008/06/2010

Nasty? Oh piss off r67 - She's a RIOT:

by Anonymousreply 7108/06/2010

FIrst let me say I like Emma tremendously, and I am deeply disappointed in her comments about Audrey. Second, let me say that I adore Audrey and I believe people underestimated her acting abilities. Here's why. I agree with Spencer Tracy who believed that the most difficult thing, was to "ACT" natural.%0D %0D I really despise the overwrought emoting, and the tragic gasps, coughs, and other devices actors traditionally use to say, "Look at me, I'm acting." %0D %0D Death scenes, terminally ill scenes, hospital scenes, scenes of anger or sorrow, sobbing, hysterically, etc. I hate it. I like Subtle. I like nuanced.%0D %0D Third, let me say, that as far as I am concerned, Audrey Hepburn could do no wrong. She is an Icon. She is in a class by herself. And she discovered the U.N. ambassador programs for developing nations, starving children,etc. long before it was fashionable. Long before an Angelina or a Princess Diana.%0D %0D Emma was always going to be the older, sensible sister. She did it for Kate Winslet and for Helena Bonham Carter.But she WAS that persn even before she was cast. %0D %0D Emma is very good, but she doesn't have a lot of range. Neither did Audrey Hepburn. Both of them see to be fearless. I am just sad for Emma who is truly unworthy of such comments.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7208/06/2010

I have to say that I didn't expect this thread to be one of the "crazy" ones.

by Anonymousreply 7308/06/2010

Audrey is an icon for a reason, so suck it Emma.

by Anonymousreply 7408/06/2010

r73

Doesn't surprise me. DL loves old Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 7508/06/2010

[quote] And by the way, my ex-boyfriend, who you'd never guess from looking at him had this hidden anglophile fetish, made me watch HOWARD'S END about 20 times.

I am beginning to understand.

by Anonymousreply 7608/06/2010

[R72] sums it up nicely.

You look at the clip in R69 where she tries to "act" like something other than an old maid, and well, we see how much range she has. Not much.

She could have limited her comments to the role and what Audrey, as Hollywood, expect her to do -- even though she couldn't have done the cockney Eliza Dolittle either. She's too posh for it.

Instead she dismissed her as an actress and in her haughty way as a person, as if "I'm sure she was lovely" would make her change her views on her performance.

No wonder she's taking leave from acting. All that "depression" is getting to her.

by Anonymousreply 7708/06/2010

"Death scenes, terminally ill scenes, hospital scenes, scenes of anger or sorrow, sobbing, hysterically, etc. I hate it. I like Subtle. I like nuanced."

Huh?!

by Anonymousreply 7808/06/2010

Emma is extraordinary in Howard's End, Wit and Angels in America. She can do comedy and drama and often she delivers both within a same moment. She's a damn good writer (to the poster who said she only does adaptations, well, it's very likely she'll write something original one day... there's plenty of time for that). Clearly, she has a strong opinion about the material she's working on and when asked about it she didn't do the phony thing and said what she thought everyone would like. Saying what you really think... has that become so out of the norm?

I like her even more now. At least I know she's a human with a brain. Unlike most of the opinion-less robots in the acting business.

by Anonymousreply 7908/06/2010

Right on, Emma! And congratulations to her for one of the only statements ever posted on DataLounge that actually deserved to be followed by "There, I said it!"

by Anonymousreply 8008/06/2010

Sheer idiocy and jealousy on Thompson's part. She only wishes she only had a smidgen of Hepburn's singular, nonpareil charm and ability. I defy ANYONE to watch THE NUN'S STORY, to name just one movie, and call Hepburn a bad actress. My esteem of Thompson just plummeted a few thousand notches.

by Anonymousreply 8108/06/2010

I feel I must defend Emma. She didn't come out of left-field with the Hepburn bashdown... she is currently consumed in redefining My Fair Lady for audiences and, as she delves deeper and deeper into Liza, must come away thinking Audrey did a great disservice to a potentially great cinematic character - giving her all style, zero substance. She perhaps begrudges Audrey for her lack of neurosis, who knows? I have no doubt that Emma has respect for the Viviens and Marilyns, with their demons and struggles. Audrey was just too darn perfect to stomach.

by Anonymousreply 8208/06/2010

Two words.

Dead Again.

by Anonymousreply 8308/06/2010

Emma has no class.

by Anonymousreply 8408/06/2010

Oh please, R82. You "feel" you "must defend" her"?

How twee.

No one forced Thompson to open her big mouth about Hepburn. She's "witty" enough to have said less, to have focused on the "missed opportunity" of not making it more Pygmalion like and left it at that.

She went after another actor's talent. When, if you look at the clips and her lack of range, is tacky.

I lost a lot of respect for her. I used to think she was classy, but I guess because Audrey's dead, she didn't feel that she had to be.

by Anonymousreply 8508/06/2010

Audrey Hepburn was a beautiful lady inside and out. There will never be anyone like her ever again. She was truly unique and one of a kind like so many movie stars of her era were and are. Also, I disagree with Emma Bitichson 100%. Audrey was a very good actress. Her film Wait Until Dark really shows her acting abilities in one of its zenith periods in her acting career. R14, you hit the nail on the head. These people like Audrey Hepburn transcend time. They were and are timeless. Audrey Hepubrun is one of those people who are unforgettable, and many of her films are unforgettable. Her beautiful dress from Funny Face recently sold at auction for 60,000 dollars. That alone should say something about the public's view still on Audrey Hepburn's acting career and persona how it still thrives. Towards the end of Audrey%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s life I think she was coming full circle in her life when she was trying to help the children in Somalia. When Audrey Heperub was a child, she went through the war starving, and ill. She understood what suffering was like as a child. Audrey was honestly dedicated to the children in Somalia, and she said no one should have to endure starvation like that. I hear it effected her so deeply and she was outraged that something wasn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t done. She was using her fame for a good purpose which was to get the attention on this issue way before these famous phonies did it because it is %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9Cthe in%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D thing to do. She was there way before Emma Crapson went to Africa for a sort period and split. Audrey was really dedicated to the children of Somalia to the point she went to Hollywood to ask for donations from various people she knew and they turned her down. She said, these people are millionaires, and I was just requesting a donation but they wouldn't do it.

Emma Thompson's acting is not all that great she is just mediocre. Before this article was listed on DL I have always felt that way about her. She must have such an enormous ego that really needs to be in check. She probably drove her husband to become an alcoholic. Living with that haughty bitch would turn anyone to dirking. Btw, she looks like a total slob getting her star on the Hollywood walk of fame. It is amazing many of these people in Hollywood today are dull as hell, and they act like they are hot stuff. I remember reading one time that Will Smith saying he was bigger and better than Jimmy Stewart, please! And Will Smith said, he could be president, but he isn't interested he wants to stick to acting, uh? what? These people today in Hollywood look like the average person walking down the street, nothing special about them. Yes, there are many very good actors and actresses, but other than that that%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s it. There is no mystic no star quality to them they are just boring. I%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99m sorry for being so infuriated by this cheap shot ,but out of all the people why did she pick Audrey Hepburn? Emma Thompson sounds like a miserable person ,and a complete looser.

by Anonymousreply 8608/06/2010

R86

tl;dr

by Anonymousreply 8708/06/2010

She thinks that Keira Knightley can do a better job in My Fair Lady than Audrey Hepburn did? Obviously she doesn't have an eye for talent.

by Anonymousreply 8808/06/2010

Emma's best work? As Nanny Gee, Frasier Crane's ex-lover on "Cheers."

Sorry, dear, not even making outrageous statements about a fine actress like Hepburn will make you relevant again. But perhaps you can get a spot on "Two and a Half Men."

by Anonymousreply 8908/06/2010

Well, anyway, bad-mouthing a dead and rather beloved actress is a nasty bit of business. There's no purpose served except publicity and looking like a nasty smug cow.

She has done a good job on the latter in other ways, although she then has managed to cover it up. People want to believe Thompson is all class and dignity and smarts and contempo-feminist wisdom. But she's actually smart but confused and angry, rather mean-spirited and pretty damned hollow.

by Anonymousreply 9008/06/2010

[quote]But she's actually smart but confused and angry, rather mean-spirited and pretty damned hollow.

How about some anecdotal 'evidence'? Even better, post a link. I'm surprised to hear that her reputation is so bad and I am curious to hear why.

by Anonymousreply 9108/06/2010

Who gets excited when a Emma Thompson movie comes on? It was only her relationship with Kenneth that lent her any femininity at all. I'll take note of the latest Helen Mirren project, or even Judy Davis. I don't know why Emma never did much for me. If anything I just think 'well, good for her' when I hear she's been cast in something. She's a real heroine for homely girls.

by Anonymousreply 9208/06/2010

r92

Your homely jibes betray your bias.

by Anonymousreply 9308/06/2010

[quote]While I don't think Hepburn was an entirely worthless actress, she got too much mileage out of having a thin, bird-like neck%0D %0D %0D LMAO

by Anonymousreply 9408/06/2010

In the actual article Thompson's tacky comments are based solely on Audrey Hepburn's performance in My Fair Lady. Arguably it was not here best work. Does anyone really think this remake is going to surpass the original? Why bother?

What's more ludicrous is scores of dizzy queens here chiming in agreement trashing a REAL Golden Age movie star of many classic films that the public and critics in that era loved and are STILL watched, admired and enjoyed. Audrey Hepburn's image is used in advertising today!

What the hell is wrong you? You think you're so fucking cool.

by Anonymousreply 9508/06/2010

R95

You can be a great star and not a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 9608/06/2010

oh r96 when you queens start expounding about "great acting" everyone else should run for the hills!

Have another Mai Tai in honor of Kim Stanley!

by Anonymousreply 9708/06/2010

What are some saucy British words that one would use to describe Emma Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 9808/06/2010

Thompson is a very good actress, but she's never really done anything in film on the level of Hepburn in "The Nun's Story."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9908/06/2010

No one gives a very good performance in "My Fair Lady." The movie itself isn't much, and the fault can largely be laid at the feet of George Cukor and Rex Harrison, who plays his part charmlessly. (You can see why Jack Warner wanted Cary Grant.0 It's supposed to be a romance, regardless of the source material, and that's never made evident until the last reel. %0D %0D If only Vincente Minnelli had directed it...

by Anonymousreply 10208/06/2010

Homely may have been the wrong word. I think she's a testament that a plain woman who provides consistent, yeoman like work in dreary films can have a solid career in England.

by Anonymousreply 10308/06/2010

R103

Digging a hole.

by Anonymousreply 10408/06/2010

Audrey Hepburn could sing actually and she had a beauty that Thompson realizes she doesn't approach. In her mind that became, "She's a terrible actress".

by Anonymousreply 10508/06/2010

The 'uglifying' of Nancy McGee by way of heavy makeup and prostethes is the most unnecessary effort since the mole on Roseanne in 'She Devil'.

by Anonymousreply 10608/06/2010

Hepburn is iconic, for Breakfast at Tiffany's, if nothing else. Flighty, birdlike, photogenic.

Thompson seems heavy and morose by contrast. Smart but oh so self-regarding and serious.

Not iconic.

by Anonymousreply 10708/06/2010

As usual, DL "discussion" come down to potshots at physical appearance. Lame.

by Anonymousreply 10808/06/2010

That wasn't a pot shot. Emma is a good enough actress not to need that type of makeup. From what I understand, when Nancy feels loved she bocomes beautiful. This could be achieved with combed hair, a little lipstick and a kleig light in her face. Add some violins and you have movie beauty.

by Anonymousreply 10908/06/2010

I cannot abide anything bad said about Emma Thompson because of her outstanding performance in "Wit." She was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 11008/06/2010

Thompson defended Polanski and tried to worm her way out of it when it was pointed out that at the same time she was promoting a UN campaign against the sexual trafficking of young girls. Vile, closeted woman in a phoney marriage. The comments about Hepburn reveal her true nature.%0D %0D Hepburn on the other hand was stunning on screen and off. In an industry riddled with bitchery and malice, she was beloved. There must be something about Hepburn that upsets Thompson on a personal level. Perhaps she can't stand the fact that Hepburn was a beautiful, chic and talented woman who used her fame to serve the less fortunate.

by Anonymousreply 11108/07/2010

[quote]Emma Thompson sounds like a miserable person ,and a complete looser.

Oh [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 11208/07/2010

[quote]my ex-boyfriend, who you'd never guess from looking at him had this hidden anglophile fetish, made me watch HOWARD'S END about 20 times.

And yet you never learned through all those viewings that there was no apostrophe in the title.

by Anonymousreply 11308/07/2010

Emma Thompson announced this afternoon that she will be taking a break from acting all of next year to focus on herself. She released a statement explaining her decision:%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D "I find the job I do emotionally very demanding. I suffer from occasional mild depression, which I think is a very common thing %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 it's fantastically common in my country and probably in yours, too %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 and it's a very much hidden thing people don't talk about. I think it should be discussed%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%A6 Next year, I'm going to take a sabbatical. I'm not going to fundraise or perform or travel, except in pursuit of new vistas with my family. I've been meaning to do this for a long, long time, but it's been like putting the brakes on a large ship because there is so much going on." %0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 11408/07/2010

I think Emma is a brilliant actress and I always enjoy seeing her on the screen. But to come into Hollywood and accept an accolade while belittling a beloved legend of the movies who was also a model of a world citizen is just stupidity on her part. Her "politically correct" rewrite of My Fair Lady sounds just ghastly - the original is a big fake Broadway musical and a pastiche -with over the top images and costuming - on film and that's the fun. And dubbing screen stars' singing voices was a convention of musicals of the time - it shouldn't be seen as some kind of failing on Hepburn's part. Emma's new version sounds about as fun as the leaden remake of The Women which was, as we all remember, so dreary it was unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 11508/07/2010

Judith Light was much better in Wit.

by Anonymousreply 11608/07/2010

It all boils down to this, people now a days are running out of script ideas, so what do they do? they bad mouth and vandalize iconic, monumental, movies of the past and they make a bogus case that they need to be remade with of bunch of contemporary actors that are as interesting as a white wall with a small crack.

I own a book full of pictures of Audrey Hepburn. She loved animals, and she had a pet fawn. She took the fawn to the super market with her as if she was taking her pet dog and she was wearing pants. At the same time she just exuded class. She was just amazingly unique, and a very special presence on and off screen. Who can really pull all that off today in such a manner? NO ONE.

by Anonymousreply 11708/07/2010

"It was only her relationship with Kenneth that lent her any femininity at all"

Ah yes, the first time I ever saw Emma onscreen was in Henry V, and my friend and I kept giggling over Emma's very obvious moustache.

By the way, DL must be slipping; NO ONE has mentioned the GREAT basket shot of Hugh Laurie in the OP's link. Yes, it may just be the folds of his pants, but nonetheless, it looks like Hugh is carrying something with some real heft down there... :)

by Anonymousreply 11808/07/2010

I imagine Emma and Stephen Fry in dressing gowns in the throes of depression bitching out Audrey at the kitchen table.

by Anonymousreply 11908/07/2010

[quote]Thompson defended Polanski and tried to worm her way out of it when it was pointed out that at the same time she was promoting a UN campaign against the sexual trafficking of young girls.

Really? What an utter fail.

by Anonymousreply 12008/07/2010

Can't wait to see this new version of My Fair Lady. Emma's stupid words will come back to haunt her.

by Anonymousreply 12108/07/2010

Incredibly Tacky of Thompson. But Audrey does nothing for me. She sounds like a sweet lady, but her status as a 'style-icon' inspired all those millions of grotesque stick-figured lollipop-heads.

by Anonymousreply 12208/07/2010

*slowly tip-toes away from r18*

by Anonymousreply 12308/07/2010

Audrey was a better person than she was an actress - I understand Emma's point. Audrey wasn't in it for the work. Anyhow, the REAL work came later, with Unicef.

by Anonymousreply 12408/07/2010

"twee" seems like the kind of word that only a twee person would use.

by Anonymousreply 12508/07/2010

"There must be something about Hepburn that upsets Thompson on a personal level"

I don't think so. Audrey Hepburn doesn't upset me on a personal level but I totally share Thompson's opinion. It's generally gay men and stupid straight women who idolize Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 12608/07/2010

Audrey sings MOON RIVER pretty good.

she mostly nails the guitar chording, too.

by Anonymousreply 12708/07/2010

There are two types of women that rule film and the whole fantasy of movie making:

the brilliant ones, the geniuses at it, like Redgrave or Streep.

or

the beautiful, the ephemeral who just are, like Ava or Audrey.

And then there were the rest, where you can find Emma Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 12808/07/2010

What about Lea Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 12908/07/2010

Emma Thompson is up there with Streep and Redgrave.

And she's right about Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 13008/07/2010

movie star and actress are two different occupations. Some do one, some do both. %0D %0D Seems senseless to air your grievances about a successful movie star/icon's perceived lack of acting chops as a way to promote your alledged superior version of " My Fair Lady"%0D %0D The only thing I could think to ask her is if you prefer Pygmallion, then why don't you just do Pygmallion?%0D %0D I think it is in bad taste, Audry Hepburn was an iconic movie star with a certain charm that some get and clearly some don't.%0D %0D Was somebody outside of the conversation in Emma's head asserting Audry Hepburn was a great actress? %0D %0D The woman who played the part of the Angel in Angels in America was a zillion times more effective than Emma was, but nobody is sticking a microphone in front of her face...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 13108/07/2010

[quote] Emma Thompson is up there with Streep and Redgrave.

See, the deluded always reveal themselves.

by Anonymousreply 13208/07/2010

Almost 50 years after BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S there was a book written about the movie and Audrey Hepburn.%0D %0D How many books will be written about HOWARD'S END and Emma Thompson a half century from now?

by Anonymousreply 13308/07/2010

Howards End? Isn't that a pornographic film?

by Anonymousreply 13408/07/2010

Some stupid girls and old queens do not worship Emma Thompson in Howards End, don't want to buy the posters or dress like Margaret Schlegel, does that mean that her performance is worthless? That Breakfast at Tyffany's is a better movie? give me a break!

I like Audrey Hepburn (love her in Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Two for the Road), but I can see why Thompson said that. I like Thompson too, and just because she made a stupid comment doesn't mean that she's a POS when it comes to acting, or that Audrey Hepburn is some kind of genius.

by Anonymousreply 13508/07/2010

But how?! HOW does Emma's condition depreciate Audrey's legacy? Will you give Emma leave? Will you forgive her... as you, yourselves, have been forgiven? Why can you not be honest for once in your lives and say to yourselves, "What Emma has done, I HAVE DONE!!!"?!

by Anonymousreply 13608/07/2010

R135 It's pointless bitchery. People taking their frustration, anger etc. and letting it out through outrage over shit that doesn't matter.

by Anonymousreply 13708/07/2010

Well done R136

by Anonymousreply 13808/07/2010

Duh, Audrey Hepburn's "twee-ness" was part of her gamine-like appeal. It is the very thing that made her a MOVIE STAR, something Thompson will never be. Movies can be magical and the true stars carry a little bit of that magic about themselves and project it onto the camera.

Audrey the woman also had class and grace, which Thompson is clearly losing in her post-menopausal years, if she ever had it to begin with. And to the posters who mentioned her, I agree Miranda Richardson can act rings around Emma as can Tilda Swinton, Imelda Staunton, Fiona Shaw, and even Juliet Stevenson to name a few British actresses of a certain age. They just weren't married to Branagh when he was the second coming of Olivier in Hollywood.

And just imagining Thompson in my favorite Hepburn film, Two for the Road, makes me gag. She would be great in the Eleanor Bron role however.

by Anonymousreply 13908/07/2010

Boy, Emma Thompson sounds INCREDIBLY stupid. I mean to say Audrey Hepburn "couldn't really act" when it is obvious from her movies that she COULD and very well, too...God, she must be retarded.%0D %0D Thompson also sounds more than a little bit jealous. She sounds quite jealous of Hepburn, jealous of Hepburn's beauty, her talent, her icon status. And no doubt she is jealous of how beloved Hepburn was and still is. %0D %0D Hepburn was superior to Thompson in EVERY way. Thompson can't even speak English!%0D "Twee?" "Mimsy-mumsy?" "Chocolate-boxy?" Those aren't even words! Was Thompson stoned or drunk when she made her idiotic comments? Maybe that's it. Or maybe she really is that astoundingly stupid, that much of a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 14008/07/2010

Twee isn't a word?!

by Anonymousreply 14108/07/2010

The bottom line here is that both are good enough to have made memorable performances on screen, but when one clearly has less range than the actress she's attacking... it just comes off as if she forgot to take her meds. Uptight Emma has boxed herself out of being able to do much than what she's famous for, uptight dowdy "intellectuals." Can anyone doubt that if Emma had tried to play Eliza it would have come off like a bad variety show version of lower class? I don't. Audrey was more than "twee." She was real. And she would have made a better Angel in Angels to boot.

The fact that Emma let herself continue with that ridiculous crap coming out of her mouth in Imagining Argentina just goes to show she doesn't have much room to criticize or much insight to judge. She was probably too arrogant to have a dialect coach and thought she could mimic her way through it.

And this is why she's not in Meryl's league.

Or Audrey's, especially when it comes to dignity.

by Anonymousreply 14208/07/2010

Hugh's speech at Emma's induction:

by Anonymousreply 14308/07/2010

Hepburn can't sing very well, but she can totally act a song. Her voice is thin throughout "How Long Has This Been Going On?" and yet her performance is emotionally effective and she puts the song across charmingly. (Same with "Moon River," as noted above.) Someone who isn't extremely talented couldn't manage this.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 14408/07/2010

"She's an old maid and a cow in Hollywood, writing for other better (or at least prettier) actresses."

Yes. Because an anorexic like Audrey Hepburn who wasn't creative enough to write material is definitely superior.

Odd how men resort as insults for women first and foremost to comments on their appearance.

by Anonymousreply 14508/07/2010

I like Thompson but it comes across as sour grapes. The times are different but Emma will never be an silver screen icon.

by Anonymousreply 14608/07/2010

When does Thompson write original material?%0D %0D Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all of her "screenplays" adaptations of literary works? Just because she can condense a novel or play into two hours doesn't exactly make her a writer.

by Anonymousreply 14708/07/2010

Oh please, R145.

First of all, it's Emma who went on the attack first, against another WOMAN, and for her overall appearance, not just her acting talent.

Second, Emma has made her CAREER out of playing dowdy women uncomfortable with their looks. She's personally mocked her own appearance in public, but of course that's internalized sexism.

And most important, first and foremost, the comments were directed at her lack of CLASS as well as her own questionable range as an actor.

For you to take one sentence out of context and read it as men going after a woman's appearance "first and foremost" is ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 14808/07/2010

Adaptations, R147, try "edits."

She's cutting My Fair Lady down, just like she did Sense and Sensibility.

by Anonymousreply 14908/07/2010

Good screenplays are not easy to write.

by Anonymousreply 15008/07/2010

Doesn't mean we're using an old homophobe's templates to write one.

And when you have classic dialogue and structure, it's still about editing, not "writing," Bill.

by Anonymousreply 15108/07/2010

I like both actresses. The difference is, I can't imagine Audrey Hepburn using the opportunity of a public ceremony honoring her to criticize another performer, one admired by millions, for a lack of talent.

by Anonymousreply 15208/07/2010

Oh please, r47, Miranda Richardson would have ruined Howards End (the title is spelled without an apostrophe).

Richardson's acting is MANNERED to the hilt. Which works for some roles (see the neurotic Viv in Tom & Viv). But not for Margaret Schlegel, who is a rich, emphatic, joyful human being.

Emma Thompson is on the exact other end of the spectrum: she is a natural, and LIVED inside that role. As someone else has posted, it may be the single most deserving Oscar win of the past twenty years (a tie with Marion Cotillard, imo).

And Emma is highly versatile: her excellent work in Stranger Than Fiction is wildly different from her performance in Love, Actually - which is nothing like Primary Colors or her various period pieces, all different in themselves.

The haters conveniently ignore that she is a hardcore FEMINIST. She's not being 'bitchy' for the sake of it, but is delineating her upcoming work from Audrey's legacy, who was revered by a male society for 'all the wrong reasons', according to her. Audrey's acting, meanwhile, does not justify that misguided reverence.

by Anonymousreply 15308/07/2010

"Emma Thompson is the only English actress with a higher international profile at present, but some think Miranda Richardson is the more luminous talent. "Emma may be more acclaimed because she's more reassuring, less challenging," says one leading British film producer. "To me, that was the problem with The Remains of the Day [in which Thompson played a resignedly lovelorn housekeeper]. Miranda would have wanted to start a trade union on behalf of the character. Even with the same script, she would have signalled something that burst through all those cardboard period propositions about repression."

by Anonymousreply 15408/07/2010

Funny Emma whining that Audrey can't sing. Anyone who's ever suffered through the Original London Cast album of "Me and My Girl" knows that Emma can't sing, either.

by Anonymousreply 15508/07/2010

Would someone be kind enough to explain what mannered acting is?

by Anonymousreply 15608/07/2010

Gamin envy.

by Anonymousreply 15708/07/2010

Audrey fans chime in please --- would you say this is twee?

by Anonymousreply 15808/07/2010

[quote]Vile, closeted woman in a phoney marriage.

Of course, you just made it all up. There is no reason whatsoever to believe that Thompson is gay and that her husband is bearding for her.

And you call Thompson vile.

by Anonymousreply 15908/07/2010

"She's not being 'bitchy' for the sake of it, but is delineating her upcoming work from Audrey's legacy, who was revered by a male society for 'all the wrong reasons'"%0D %0D If this is an accurate representation of Thompson's thoughts, then it's more than a little condescending.%0D

by Anonymousreply 16008/07/2010

Girls, girls, you're both pretty.

by Anonymousreply 16108/07/2010

From her quote, I take it Emma is great friends with Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 16208/07/2010

lol r157.

by Anonymousreply 16308/07/2010

"She would be great in the Eleanor Bron role however."%0D %0D Oh MEOW.%0D %0D Love it.

by Anonymousreply 16408/07/2010

Emma's going to regret saying this. I have no problem with her thinking this (or saying it among her nearest and dearest), but it was unwise of her to say this to a reporter. It's going to haunt her for years since Audrey Hepburn is such a widely beloved screen icon.

I'm sure Thompson's saying it has to do with her depression and exhaustion... I doubt she would be saying something so likely to cause her later grief if she felt happier or more on top of her game.

by Anonymousreply 16508/07/2010

Frump Emma Wider than a mile I'm crossin' you in style Someday

Oh star hater, you old matron, wherever your goin' it won't be my way

From England off to see LA There's such a lot of praise for me We're after the same rainbow's end Waitin' round the bend My spinster playing friend Frump Emma and me...

by Anonymousreply 16608/07/2010

I thought Emma Thompson was just homely, but apparently she's bitter, too. No wonder Kenneth Branagh dumped her.

by Anonymousreply 16708/07/2010

And now she has gorgeous Greg Wise.

by Anonymousreply 16808/07/2010

"revered by a male society"

But Audrey is always cited as an example of a "woman's woman." Like another poster said, it's women and gay men who adore her. Straight men of that generation lusted after Sophia Loren and Brigitte Bardot, NOT Audrey.

by Anonymousreply 16908/07/2010

For years at the Gare de Lyons in Paris there was a larger than lifesize Longines ad featuring Audrey Hepburn. (It was still there two years ago.)%0D %0D I never noticed a lifesize ad featuring the stunningly beautiful Emma Thomas who is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 17008/07/2010

166, that's brilliant.%0D %0D More brilliant and original than anything Frump Emma could ever write and will ever write.%0D %0D Thanks for making me laugh and making my day.

by Anonymousreply 17108/07/2010

Have you seen Greg Wise lately, R168? You might be surprised. He latched on to her when she was hot in Hollywood and everyone's darling. Things aren't so rosy these days, according to those in the know.

by Anonymousreply 17208/07/2010

Let's face it. In a 60 years Audrey Hepburn will still be an icon and no one will know who Emma Thompson is

by Anonymousreply 17308/07/2010

That might be true, r169, but while Loren/Bardot embodied the sexual female, Audrey represented the demure, pretty, vulnerable, immaculate woman - one that appealed to straight men who dreamed of the perfect wife, after they were done fucking the curvy seductress. She was Jackie Kennedy on screen.

Just like the First Lady, she was a 'woman's woman' for style, and a 'man's woman' for wifely qualities.

In this sense, it's no wonder post-feminists like Thompson take issue with blind reverence of Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 17408/07/2010

Jesus, R174. "Blind reverence"? That's not what she's "taking issue" with.

She attacked her ACTING skills (and even her looks and charm by calling her "twee" which everyone in Britain knows means "cute" and not much more). She didn't attack "male society's" idealization of Hepburn. Can you read? She said that about the MUSICAL and the play on which it was based.

Maybe she's as confused as you are.

And P.S., everyone knew she was no Jackie Kennedy, much less what we saw on screen. Rumors of her affairs and news about her marriages were well-known. She was that popular. And even on screen, she didn't play ideal women.

People have reason to admire her talent and persona, and all "reverence" for her is not "blind."

by Anonymousreply 17508/07/2010

I say this as a devoted fan of Emma Thompson, but girl has done lost her mind! I fear she has single-handedly with these unfortunate commments destroyed any slim hope of success her My Fair Lady remake had in the first place.%0D when this gets picked up by the mainstream media, there will be a tsumai of controversy and public outrage. You simply don't trash an icon as beloved as Audrey Hepburn. I wouldn't be surprised if the studio now pulled funding for the ill-cnceived film.

by Anonymousreply 17608/07/2010

They should cast Martine McCutcheon. She was brilliant at the National Theatre in London. I can't imagine the ever so middle-class Julie Andrews was better.

by Anonymousreply 17708/07/2010

Emma Thompson's writing skill has always been questionable.The script adaption for Sense and Sensibility went through several writers before her name was put to it. Jeanette Winterson for one.Ang Lee is also a writer who no doubt had a big input into the script structure. They get paid for their work and bought out and Emma Thompson gets an Oscar.

Emma Thomspon is a very privilaged woman who is as out of touch as anyone can be. She didn't have to work hard to get into acting as both her parents were very successful actors.

There is simply no comparison between her- a very lucky bland plain actress and Audrey Hepburn an actual movie star who is still popular and making new fans 50 years after Breakfast at Tiffany was made.

Saying Audrey Hepburn is twee just makes her seem as thick as I think she is.

That Oscar doesn't fool me.

by Anonymousreply 17808/07/2010

I haven't read this whole thread, but Audrey Hepburn was a "limited" actress. There's nothing wrong with that most of them are limited. But how this bitch got into the top five greatest screen actress of all time is fucking absurd.

by Anonymousreply 17908/07/2010

R179 that's only your fucking opinion and not worth anything.

by Anonymousreply 18008/07/2010

It's a PUBLICITY STUNT. Emma who?

by Anonymousreply 18108/07/2010

Emma is pretty enough to play Hillary Clinton in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 18208/07/2010

R179...What's even more absurd is that the AFI list had Katharine Hepburn as #1 and Bette Davis as #2! It should have been reversed. A travesty.

by Anonymousreply 18308/07/2010

Miranda Richardson is a terrific actress. But she entirely without humor and charm.

On those rare occasions when she has done comedy she approaches it like it is something entirely different from acting. (Have you seen her destroy any scene she was in in Blackadder?)

What Thompson had was humor and warmth, which was much needed in Howard's End. Maybe if she was older she could have played Redgrave's part, but NEVER Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 18408/07/2010

I'm like Thompson but this is disappointing. %0D %0D I don't get this "Audrey couldn't act" idea. Most stars "can't act" outside a certain specific range. They have a certain type of character or personality they can do very well but if you miscast them then they're bad. Within her range Hepburn was very good. %0D %0D Just as within her range Thompson is good. But Thompson is not a chameleon-type actress any more than Hepburn was, so really, her comments are stupid and unjustifiably condescending. Also, Thompson was great in both Howard's End and Remains of the Day, but Hopkins was better - he is a far greater acting talent - in both films.%0D %0D And Kate Winslet is not a particularly versatile actress either. They're all the same: very good within their range, very bad outside it.

by Anonymousreply 18508/07/2010

So R185 Emma should have said miscast rather than a bad actress, right? I so agree with your opinion.

by Anonymousreply 18608/07/2010

Thompson wouldn't have made it under the old Hollywood studio system; she simply isn't distinctive enough. At best, she might have carved out a career as a second-string Deborah Kerr.

by Anonymousreply 18708/07/2010

I love Emma, but I think she's wrong here...Audrey seemed to get better as she went along. She's great and heartbreaking in Robin and Marion, and Two For the Road.

by Anonymousreply 18808/08/2010

Hepburn was a fine actress. She gave a beautiful performance in Roman Holiday and took the world by storm. She had a lovely presence on screen and displayed great range in films as disparate as The Nun's Story and Two for the Road. Compare Robin and Marion to Wait until Dark or Sabrina to Breakfast at Tiffany's. Hepburn was utterly unique and it seems she was a wonderful lady to boot. %0D %0D Thompson does herself no favours with this nonsense. She sounds bitter and stupid, not a good look for a lady who prides herself on her intelligence. BTW Wise was fucking Stephen Fry for a while, he obviously likes the uglies.

by Anonymousreply 18908/08/2010

Since when does giving an opinion make her "bitter and stupid"? You're just a bitter fanboi

by Anonymousreply 19008/08/2010

[quote]BTW Wise was fucking Stephen Fry for a while, he obviously likes the uglies.

Say WHAT?

by Anonymousreply 19108/08/2010

I read the text of Thompson's remarks. They reminded me a lot of Camille Paglia's work.

by Anonymousreply 19208/08/2010

I think Emma Thompson has to remember My Fair Lady is a musical. It wasn't meant to be on the level of Shakespeare nor it wasn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t meant to be a production for the Old Vic Theater. Also, it wasn't fully based on Pygmalion. Again, it was just a musical that was meant to be charming, light, fun, and entertainingly cleaver. The music form this production alone was big when it first came out in 1964 in the theaters. Also, this was a monumental production. It%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s considered one of Hollywood%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s A-list classic musicals. That is what the directors wanted. Again, it was a musical Emma! Let me guess? You belong to the Mensa Society, right Emma? Jeesh. There is one thing to have an opinion, and there is another to cut someone down. The Emma was cutting Audrey down, and most people on DL know the difference. From observing other comments people have expressed on this thread and on other threads, I think DL%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s have the brains to decipher the difference between constructive opinions and blatant, catty remarks.

by Anonymousreply 19308/08/2010

R193

I think you miss the point. Thompson has said that she felt the earlier film was ponderous and slow and lacked the lightness needed. She (like most film lovers) thinks the film was leaden and dull when it needed to be light, fun and clever.

No one considers the film a classic. It is a film of a classic musical with classic performances---but few would ever defend the film. It pales beside the film Pygmalion, which is lively and bubbly--and short! Thompson says she feels the new film needs to be much shorter and sharper to the point.

Don't forget, Thompson first rose to prominence in musicals and sketch comedy. When she was cast in Henry V, she was thought to be an odd choice to play a classical role.

by Anonymousreply 19408/08/2010

Link to pictures of Greg Wise fucking Stephen Fry with Fry photoshop blurred, please.

by Anonymousreply 19508/08/2010

Audrey Hepburn consistently received great reviews from the critics. An Oscar and several more nominations show the high regard her peers had for her. She is, if anything, greatly underrated. She was an original. Thanks to showings of her films on TV and their availability on DVD, she will remain a favorite of the public.

by Anonymousreply 19608/08/2010

I HATE Emma Thompson. I don't know what it is about exactly but there is something in her pompous, oafy manner I cannot stand.

by Anonymousreply 19708/08/2010

Emma Thompson signed the Polanski petition.

by Anonymousreply 19808/08/2010

I remember one UNICEF clip of her assisting poor malnourished African children. She went to embrace one child who ran off screaming in terror - Audrey was skinnier than he was!

by Anonymousreply 19908/08/2010

R165 did Thompson talk about her depression during or after her comments about Hepburn? I pretty much agree with you, but if the depression announcement came after the Hepburn comment, I think she may have made it just because she realized how much hot water she was in.

I'm surprised about her Hepburn comments because she used to be bright and upbeat and witty, but now she's none of that and seems to be fairly unaware of it.

by Anonymousreply 20008/08/2010

The thing about Audrey Hepburn is that you couldn't take your eyes off her. You went to a movie because she was in it. I like(d) Emma Thompson but she never lit up the screen. She strikes me more as a character actress than a leading lady and does well in ensemble films. Nothing wrong with that, but she was really off the beam criticizing Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 20108/08/2010

Oh, big deal. So Thompson expressed her opinion. So what? Hepburn lived her life in the public eye and her work was for public consumption. That means people get to express their views about AH's work publicly as well!! The only people who care and are offended are old fat queens.

by Anonymousreply 20208/08/2010

Thompson isn't exactly a great actress herself, or a great comedienne. She's just another average Footlights alum, who hit the big time playing English stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 20308/08/2010

I agree with you, r202. I was trying to say the same thing upthread. By the way, there is no backlash whatsoever about her statement.

If you ever worked around famous filmmakers and actors... they say these things in private all the time.

by Anonymousreply 20408/08/2010

Fangurl @R202 Thompson also chooses to live her life as a public figure, therefore everyone is free to criticize her statements.

by Anonymousreply 20508/08/2010

Hardly 205/fat old queen. I haven't seen or have any desire to see either of these women's work; however, I'm glad you Hepburn fangurls got the point. Now go cry.

by Anonymousreply 20608/08/2010

We got the point that Thompson's a bitter bitch.%0D %0D Now beat it, trash.

by Anonymousreply 20708/08/2010

"I haven't seen or have any desire to see either of these women's work."

And thank you for your invaluable contribution to this thread.

by Anonymousreply 20808/08/2010

Has anyone pledged to give Thompson a vicious slapping yet?

by Anonymousreply 20908/08/2010

Ah, no.

by Anonymousreply 21008/08/2010

I'm officially boycotting Emma Thompson, and any film she stars in. Shameful, that she would make a horrendous comment about Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 21108/08/2010

Twenty years past her prime at this stage. Oblivion awaits.

by Anonymousreply 21208/08/2010

If you were a twee, what kind would you be?

by Anonymousreply 21308/08/2010

The Daily Heil (UK) - home of god-bothering manic neurotic straight women with six kids and a goat, are churning out the same bra-burning 'how DARE Emma Thompson' nonsense.%0D %0D It's about time someone said something that made the couch potates sit up and think if nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 21408/08/2010

Listen BITCH, you wanna know who the real "twee", "not talented" actress is: your good friend Miss Hugh Grant. That bitch gives the same unconvincing, dithering, intellectually posturing and smug pap "performance" every time. As do you, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 21508/08/2010

What an unpleasant thread. So much vitriol over nothing, really.

by Anonymousreply 21608/08/2010

Audrey had something can't be bought or learned in drama school -- charm.%0D %0D She was glamorous at 25 and 60.%0D %0D Emma was frumpy at 25 and will remain so the rest of her life -- as well as charmless.%0D %0D (And if it weren't for her parents -- in the same field -- she wouldn't be attractive enough to sell cosmetics in Harrod's.)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 21708/08/2010

There's no real need for plain actresses, as they simply frump up the beautiful ones. Rebecca Hall, who is quite a good-looking woman in real life, played a frump in her two last movies. She's getting very good at it.

by Anonymousreply 21808/08/2010

Put Emma Thompson in Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy clothes and no one would give her a second look!

by Anonymousreply 21908/08/2010

This thread has nearly as many replies as "BREAKING - PROP 8 OVERTURNED"

by Anonymousreply 22008/08/2010

Emma makes an ass out of herself on the Tonight Show

by Anonymousreply 22108/08/2010

I want her head on a plate.

by Anonymousreply 22208/08/2010

[R184] Everyone's sense of humor isn't the same, I guess. Jennifer Saunders and Rowan Atkinson are pretty good judges -- and I loved Miranda in AbFab and Vivienne Vyle (when she said "You touched my muff" in VV it was the first huge laugh I had in months).

But back to our lunatic of the day....

Love the link [R222]. If Nanny McPhee tanks, this won't be her bouncing on Oprah's couch, but Kenneth Branagh must me laughing his ass off.

When MY FAIR LADY does come out, I hope they let this dolt all over the press so she can embarrass herself even more.

Brits, please link as much mockery of Emma on British TV as possible. This is gonna be good.

by Anonymousreply 22308/09/2010

"True. Hepburn was insufferable. Stupid voice, too."

I think you are confusing AUDREY with KATHERINE Hepburn. Katherine was the old bat in the movies with Spencer Tracy, even when she was a young woman Katherine sounded old, she seemed like a real crab. I could never stomach Katherine Hepburn, her acting or her real persona.

Audrey Hepburn had a lovely speaking voice. She will always be the epitome of high fashion, pixie-ish and sweet. She was also a wonderful humanitarian, working with Unicef and other organizations.

I don't understand why Emma Thompson would say awful things about an actress who has been dead for many years, WHY the bitterness?

Audrey Hepburn is no longer around, they wouldn't be competing for the same roles, her statement seems very odd. If she's are going to put down bad actresses, there are so many current ones to choose from! From Julia Roberts, Cameron Diaz to women like Madonna who couldn't act even if she took acting lessons everyday for 10 years.

Emma, take your meds!

by Anonymousreply 22408/09/2010

"Thompson isn't exactly a great actress herself, or a great comedienne. She's just another average Footlights alum, who hit the big time playing English stereotypes."

You've got that right, I've always found her very homely, no sex appeal at all. Talk about not jumping off a screen, she's a supporting actress, if that much.

The movie where she was having sex on a piano, I forgot the name, I think she was having sex with Jeff Goldblum?! That scene had to be one of the most unappealing sex scenes I'd ever seen in a mainstream film. Sure, it was supposed to be funny, not arousing, but it wasn't even humorous! It was un-watchable, mostly because of Emma Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 22508/09/2010

The British comments on the dailymail piece are hilarious.

One calls Emma a national treasure -- the bulk describe her as "irritating" "desperate" "cringe"-worthy, and "tacky."

It's almost as if we can see Audrey, glowing, looking down from heaven, saying "poor, dear Emma."

And sobbing when Emma keeps hanging herself.

by Anonymousreply 22608/09/2010

Audrey Hepburn was a lovely actress and person, Alas, her status as a 'style icon' inspired generations of skeletal, malnourised socialites, models and actresses.

by Anonymousreply 22708/09/2010

r224, you are my hero! Everyone else on DL thinks that Katharine Hepburn is the second coming. I feel about her exactly as you do:%0D %0D "Katherine was the old bat in the movies with Spencer Tracy, even when she was a young woman Katherine sounded old, she seemed like a real crab. I could never stomach Katherine Hepburn, her acting or her real persona."

by Anonymousreply 22808/09/2010

I'm enjoying Kate's reading of her autobiography on youtube:

by Anonymousreply 22908/10/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 23008/10/2010

Hey r224 Audrey loved Julia.

by Anonymousreply 23108/10/2010

This bitch. Now Thompson claims that "fags" killed her father. I could plotz. See 12:05

by Anonymousreply 23208/13/2010

She knew that fags had that meaning "in America" -- where's her "wit" now?

And Craig Ferguson's mocking angry gay men with a lisp is even more offensive.

More disappointed in her by the minute.

by Anonymousreply 23308/13/2010

Yeah and she put on a mock-Cockeney accent. Another stab at Audrey's Eliza.

by Anonymousreply 23408/13/2010

Emma Thompson is just plain so boring.

by Anonymousreply 23508/13/2010

Beauty surpasses talent every time,who wants to watch a bitter dowdy self important bitch anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 23608/13/2010

She is totally plain so boring.

by Anonymousreply 23708/13/2010

She doesn't have anything interesting to give the world so she insults a beautiful women loved by millions.We Probably wouldn't of heard of her if she wasn't married to the ultra gay & ultra sexless Kenneth Brannagh.

by Anonymousreply 23808/13/2010

That Branagh gives British Queers & or luvies a bad rep...yuck

by Anonymousreply 23908/13/2010

BOTH of the Hepburns were great actresses and were and have remained icons. When Audrey started slogging through the hell holes of Africa to help children she unwittingly transformed herself to a level above mere celebrity. She was a remarkable woman and actress. There will never be anyone like her.

by Anonymousreply 24008/14/2010

[quote] The script adaption for Sense and Sensibility went through several writers before her name was put to it. Jeanette Winterson for one.Ang Lee is also a writer who [bold] no doubt [/bold] had a big input into the script structure.

(Emphasis added)

Link?

by Anonymousreply 24108/14/2010

What is it with British actors that they all try so hard to try to show everyone that they are sooooooo funny? ha ha ha hee hee hee ha ha ha

by Anonymousreply 24208/15/2010

Not funny, R242, "witty." Such pressure to be British.

Now funny is how Emma and Cojo are starting to morph into each other.

THAT's funny.

by Anonymousreply 24308/22/2010

This sour bitch has nerves to talk about Audry.%0D %0D In 6 months no one will give a fuck about that Nanny Mc Phee bullshit she keeps making.%0D %0D No one really gives a fuck about the shit shes made so far.%0D %0D Like it or not Audry has made some classics.%0D %0D To shit talk her now comes off as bitter & delusional.%0D %0D Does Emma even have fans.

by Anonymousreply 24408/22/2010

Always liked her and always will. She's done some great stuff as an actress and kudos to her for making her mark as a screenwriter.

by Anonymousreply 24508/22/2010

I must say, she once had a lovely slender body, but now she has a huge ass and it looks like she's developing jowls. Middle-age can be so cruel to some.

by Anonymousreply 24608/22/2010

She looks like Nanny McPhee on the inside.%0D %0D Soon the outside will catch up.%0D %0D How dare she criticize an eternal screen icon!

by Anonymousreply 24708/22/2010

I've always been irritated by Audrey Hepburn because it was an insult to the real Hepburn to have to share the same name with her.

Audrey Hepburn was nothing compared to Katharine Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 24808/22/2010

BRAVO, R248!

by Anonymousreply 24908/22/2010

I haven't seen an Audrey Hepburn film since I was a child, but I remember her as a charming presence.

However, I can't believe some of her uber fans are defending her vocals, thankfully not used in the film of My Fair Lady

by Anonymousreply 25008/22/2010

I wonder if Julie Andrews used to play Audrey's vocals for laughs at dinner parties, the way Merman used to do with Roz Russell's tracks.

by Anonymousreply 25108/23/2010

She could laugh all she wanted, Marni (R251). Perhaps she felt better, but that didn't change the fact that Roz made the movie and was a better actress.

by Anonymousreply 25208/23/2010

I find it amusing that film sites all agree with Emma about her assessment of Audrey. Not that they don't appeciate her and love her but just that they are realistic and objective about her acting.%0D %0D Emma was talking specifically about her acting in My Fair Lady, a movie which besides the songs is so unworthy of that source material.%0D %0D When I finally saw Pygmalian decades ago I realized just how great was Bernard Shaw's screenplay. My Fair Lady unfortunately cannot compare. %0D %0D I also loved Audrey but I never thought she was a great actress at all. There were some roles in which I felt she was very good but overall she was more a wonderful presence than a really fine actor. And there's nothing wrong with that but it easy to confuse the two.%0D %0D Emma Thompson is far more talented on various levels than Audrey was.

by Anonymousreply 25308/23/2010

Helped my niece move into her dorm over the weekend at a famed NY fashion school. All over the place there were posters of Audrey Hepburn - but not one of Emma Thompson. Hmmm?

by Anonymousreply 25408/23/2010

R254 Were there any posters of Meryl Streep?

by Anonymousreply 25508/23/2010

Touche, R255.

by Anonymousreply 25608/23/2010

The point, r255, is that Audrey is a legendary presence.

In 30 years, no one anywhere will have posters of Emma Thompson up. At the bottom of birdcages or litter boxes, maybe, but not adorning any walls.

by Anonymousreply 25708/23/2010

Karma is going to bite Emma in the ass big time for these stupid remarks. People are already fed up with Hollywood feeling the need to remake everything as it is. And here she comes and insults a movie that regardless of how good or bad it may be, is beloved by a lot of people. And it's star.%0D %0D And her "well, I'm sure she's a lovely person" remark is mean spirited and nasty. Audrey dedicated her life to helping impoverished children and traveled the world. She wasn't sitting around editing books into two hundred page screenplays so she could have parts to play. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 25808/23/2010

R257

Yes, but will people still have posters of Meryl Streep on their walls in 30 years?

by Anonymousreply 25908/23/2010

[quote] And it's star

Do I have to say it?

by Anonymousreply 26008/23/2010

I think even Audrey would agree with Emma's comments. I never got the impression that Audrey cared that much about acting; she pretty much gave it away in the last two decades of her life. %0D %0D She is iconic, not because of her acting ability, but because she was a beautiful, skinny woman who represented a new type of elegance in Hollywood after the bombshells the were typified by Marilyn Monroe. That's why girls have posters of Audrey on their walls. Nothing Emma has said detracts from the reason Hepburn is remembered today.

by Anonymousreply 26108/23/2010

R258, there is no need for exaggeration. I appreciate that you like Audrey. I loved Aufrey. But she did not dedicate her life to the cause. After she retired she spent the last four years of her life working for UNICEF as a Goodwill Ambassador making country visits. Before that she did pretty much just public service announcements beginning in the 1950s and an occasional fund raiser or event.%0D %0D Her work with UNICEF was wonderful and to be admired. She truly believed in this cause and she deserves our respect.%0D %0D But none of this has anything to do with what Emma Thompson said about her acting in My Fair Lady. It doesn't make Emma some UNICEF, child hating ogre.

by Anonymousreply 26208/24/2010

And yet, R262, Nanny McPhee is a flop. Opening in 8th place.

So much for flopping all over Leno's couch. And no one cared.

Cow.

by Anonymousreply 26308/26/2010

Technically she's right. Hepburn was limited as an actress. Yes, she gave some decent performances but on the whole wasn't a great actress.%0D %0D But Hepburn had glamour, star power, the IT factor. She was a movie star and an icon.%0D %0D Emma is just another very good British actress. One of many.

by Anonymousreply 26408/26/2010

No worries, and no damage. Audrey Hepburn's beautiful light will always live on.

by Anonymousreply 26508/26/2010

This reminds me of exactly how I felt when Stephen Sondheim, whom I admire greatly, trashed Ira Gershwin, whom I also like very much, as a lyricist.

by Anonymousreply 26608/28/2010

[quote]That's why girls have posters of Audrey on their walls.

And who would these girls be that have pics of AH on their walls?

by Anonymousreply 26708/28/2010

It does look like Hepburn is doing nothing in her movies. So why don't other people copy her more successfully? Thompson is a good technical actress, but not particularly distinctive. (And she's certainly capable of performances far worse than any Hepburn ever gave, e.g. her dull turn in "Angels in America.") %0D %0D In the last decade or so, the ability to charm has been minimized; "talent" is defined largely as having chameleon-like qualitites.%0D %0D And yet people long for the movie stars of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

by Anonymousreply 26808/28/2010

Style, grace and beauty. All of it adds up to being an icon.

by Anonymousreply 26908/28/2010

Without having to read all the other hundreds of posts on here, surely Emma is only trashing Audrey because she is now writing a new version of My Fair Lady so the previous version has to be rubbished - no doubt she expects anoter oscar or two for her downstairs toilet.

by Anonymousreply 27008/28/2010

The film of My Fair Lady in 64, like the one of Oliver in '68 were popular and successful and scooped up awards - but were simplified versions of the source material: Shaw's Pygmalion and Dickens's Oliver Twist - as most musicals simplify and eliminate to streamline the material. If Emma ignores Cukor's film and goes back to Shaw it might be a more realistic movie.

by Anonymousreply 27108/28/2010

Long after Emma Thompson is gone, she will soon be forgotten. (God willing, her career will be gone before she is.)%0D %0D Audrey is long gone, but will live on in film forever.

by Anonymousreply 27208/28/2010

[quote]Long after Emma Thompson is gone, she will soon be forgotten.

Long after she's gone, it's too late for her to soon be forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 27308/30/2010

Emma's latest film NANNY MCPHEE bombed. If anyone discovered an unknown film with Audrey and posthumously released it -- it would probably do better box office than a living Emma!

by Anonymousreply 27408/30/2010

It doesn't surprise me that this bombed - if I were a kid, Nanny McPhee would scare the shit out of me. %0D %0D Emma is writing another one too! This time based in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 27508/30/2010

Have to disagree about the quality of both My Fair Lady and Oliver as film adaptations; both are directed by masters of cinema, Cukor and Reed, who had great rhythm and power and knew how to make movies move. Oliver is a masterwork. My Fair Lady is a splendid adaptation and Hepburn was lovely in it in every way, except, of course, that they should have cast an Eliza who could sing it, because, it is a musical requiring great singing.

Also have to disagree with the many who don't consider Hepburn a great actress. From Roman Holiday to The Nun's Story to Two for the Road she showed that she was a vivid and memorable leading lady, possessed of irony, wit and depth (watch the Nun's Story and tell me she lacked depth) in addition to being one of the most stylish, loveliest women to ever take the screen.

by Anonymousreply 27608/30/2010

To quote from MY FAIR LADY's Mrs. Higgins, "Bravo, Eliza!" and "Bravo, r. 276!"

by Anonymousreply 27708/30/2010

[quote]And who would these girls be that have pics of AH on their walls?%0D %0D %0D Half the nelly bitches on this thread, for a start.

by Anonymousreply 27808/30/2010

Use of the word "frau" is rampant all over DL, and it is meant to abuse, belittle, objectify, mock, disempower, threaten, and demonize women.

Your contempt for women is killing queer teens.

by Anonymousreply 27912/14/2010

I despise Emma Thompson. Audrey is my idol. she started a trend with Breakfast at Tifanny's, My fair Lady is everybody's favourite film and Roman Holiday is super funny. when you all earn an oscar and start a trend, then judge Audrey.and also when you get the perfect looks: thin, tall and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 28005/23/2013

[quote]It does look like Hepburn is doing nothing in her movies. So why don't other people copy her more successfully? Thompson is a good technical actress, but not particularly distinctive. (And she's certainly capable of performances far worse than any Hepburn ever gave, e.g. her dull turn in "Angels in America.") In the last decade or so, the ability to charm has been minimized; "talent" is defined largely as having chameleon-like qualitites. And yet people long for the movie stars of the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Exactly.

by Anonymousreply 28105/23/2013

I think Emma's a very good actress, not a great one though - her range is rather limited too. And I wish she'd get a few teeth pulled - those horrible teeth distract me whenever she does one of her trademark "smiling through my tears" poses. The fact that she thinks Carey Mulligan is a good actress speaks reams about Emma's tastes. Mulligan's trademark is "winsome" and she - like her fan Emma - does a lot of "smiling through my tears".

I met Hepburn back in the 70s. I was walking my dog and she stopped to pet her. We had a chat. She was as lovely in person as she was on screen. Extraordinary eyes and a gentle, fragile way about her. Anyone who thinks she can't act hasn't seen the Nun's Story.

Funny thing about Emma (who knew she was such a bitch?) - her husband. He's a dumb, formerly pretty dolt, and any acting work he gets she has to hustle to get him. And he can't act his way out of a paper bag.

by Anonymousreply 28205/23/2013

[quote]My fair Lady is everybody's favourite film

Please don't say things like this, R280. First of all, it's not true and second, you have no way of knowing if it's true.

I love Audrey Hepburn, but My Fair Lady is not by far my favorite of her movies.

by Anonymousreply 28305/23/2013

I remember the first time I saw Emma Thompson on screen, as the love interest in Henry V. In the close-ups, on the big screen, the first thing that became hilariously apparent is that she has a facial hair problem! Seriously, it was distracting. Hopefully after she hit it big, she had that taken care of.

Having said all that, I have often enjoyed her onscreen, but she doesn't exactly have RANGE, does she? (as others above have mentioned)...

Audrey was a STAR, perhaps not the best actress, but a true cinematic star can elevate a lot of so-so material, and often that's all they're asked to do. Having said that, I think she has left quite a few film performances that will endure long after Emma is dead and gone. I can't think of one Thompson film performance that would qualify as great. Sorry, Emma. I do have the hots for your man Greg Wise, though, so kudos for that!

by Anonymousreply 28405/23/2013

I hate the movie version of "My Fair Lady". Hepburn [italic]is[/italic] awful in it.

by Anonymousreply 28505/23/2013

She's quite right.

one of the worst actresses in film is Mia Farrow She's terribly stilted and always plays Mia Farrow. But I love Rosemary's Baby because it was perfect for a Mia Farrow type. In the book Rosemary is more substantial; tall, dark haired, good figure, lots of friends. I think the Mia Rosemary is a better representation of a woman who is transitioning into a woman's new role in western society ... but she doesn't quite get there at the end.

by Anonymousreply 28605/23/2013

Emma Thompson originated the female lead in Me and My Girl in London on the West End.

When it came to cross the Atlantic, Actors Equity refused to allow her to recreate her role for Broadway.

They said it would deny an American actress the chance for a star-making role.

Actors equity was justified when Maryann Plunkett replaced Thompson, and walked off with the Tony Award.

by Anonymousreply 28705/23/2013

Would anyone agree that most of the roles Hepburn played would've been just as good, if not better with a different actress?

by Anonymousreply 28805/23/2013

Emma who?

by Anonymousreply 28905/23/2013

Thompson, R289. Her name's in the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 29005/23/2013

[quote]Miranda Richardson is a terrific actress. But she entirely without humor and charm.

I take it you have never seen Blackadder.

by Anonymousreply 29105/23/2013

Thompson's a fat ugly cow, of course she's jealous of a classier gamine!

by Anonymousreply 29205/23/2013

[quote]Thompson's a fat ugly cow, of course she's jealous of a classier gamine!

Her comments seem perfectly reasonable to me. Hepburn definitely did lack bite.

by Anonymousreply 29305/23/2013

I see we have a DLer as bright as Emma at R290.

It was a joke.

She's as forgettable as can be while Audrey remains a classic.

Does that spell it out for you R290?

by Anonymousreply 29405/23/2013

I realized it was supposed to be a joke, R289. The "___ who?" has been done a million times over, and it wasn't even funny the first time.

I've noticed everyone defending Hepburn isn't discussing her acting abilities, but rather her "icon" status.

by Anonymousreply 29505/23/2013

Nice try, R290. You'd be a lot more convincing if your last response was your first. You're as much of a bore as Emma.

And if the joke is done a lot for Emma, it's because it rings true.

She does the same schtick in all her most successful roles, the blubbering brain from Howard's End / Remains / Sense and Sensibility / Love Actually / Wit (even working it into Shakespeare) and then the dull whiner in ... everything else. The script in Wit and the cancer makes her seem more than she delivered.

Who do you believe more as an angel? Can you imagine Emma playing a shy chauffeur's daughter turned sexy chef? A princess or a nun? As Holly in Breakfast at Tiffany's? As Eliza in My Fair Lady?

No, because her "big brain" gets in the way. She's Meryl without the range, depth or technique.

There's your answer.

by Anonymousreply 29605/23/2013

I'm not a fan of either Hepburn of Thompson. But, I do agree with Thompson's comments on Hepburn.

[quote]Who do you believe more as an angel?

Oh, dear.

[quote]Can you imagine Emma playing a shy chauffeur's daughter turned sexy chef?

Twenty years ago, why not?

[quote]A princess or a nun?

Thompson would be more believable as a real princess or nun, Hepburn as how Hollywood imagines princesses and nuns.

[quote]As Holly in Breakfast at Tiffany's? As Eliza in My Fair Lady?

These don't help prove your point. Hepburn was miscast and awful in both. Thompson probably would've been better in the latter, but not the former.

by Anonymousreply 29705/23/2013

[quote]I've noticed everyone defending Hepburn isn't discussing her acting abilities, but rather her "icon" status.

You must have missed R282's post regarding Hepburn's work in "The Nun's Story."

Too bad about Thompson's comment. I would've thought she was a bigger person than that.

by Anonymousreply 29805/23/2013

[quote]You must have missed [R282]'s post regarding Hepburn's work in "The Nun's Story."

No, I didn't. But, a good part of this nearly three hundred post thread was filled with people talking about: how no one will remember Thompson once she's died, how Hepburn is regarded as an icon, how some fashion students have posters of Hepburn, yet none of Thompson.

There has been little actual discussion of Hepburn's acting ability, just people declaring Thompson wrong, because Hepburn's "an icon". I agree with Thompson's comments. Hepburn did have no bite, and her reputation exceeds her ability.

by Anonymousreply 29905/23/2013

[quote] I'm sure she was a delightful woman

No, she was boring. A former work colleague's father was head of a certain nonprofit and Hepburn would appear at their galas. He had to find her a "walker" every time. She didn't seem to have friends. He made sure to find the gayest of gay walkers who would find just being around Audrey Hepburn a delight.

by Anonymousreply 30005/23/2013

Emma, I love you but this time you are so wrong!

by Anonymousreply 30105/23/2013

And now we see why R290/R297 is such a defender of Thompson. His / her inflated appraisal of Thompson's acting ability and trashing of Audrey is beyond laughable.

Emma Thompson couldn't play an innocent, sexy, or regal if her life depended on it. Even 20 years ago -- when she was in her 30s when she was trying to play someone in her 20s -- Emma wasn't believable. But for the costumes and the goofy crying, she is the same in every film as she is in her interviews.

In contrast, the performances of Audrey's just scoffed at was rightly praised then and is widely appreciated now.

R296 is right. Emma has a few ticks that she milks over and over. She's a ham, not a great actress.

R297, your Anglophilia / Emma-love is fine if that's what you like. But to compare her to Audrey is laughable.

by Anonymousreply 30205/23/2013

[quote]And now we see why [R290]/[[R297]] is such a defender of Thompson. His / her inflated appraisal of Thompson's acting ability and trashing of Audrey is beyond laughable.

Why don't you read the first line of my post at R297, where I state I'm not a fan of either.

[quote]Emma Thompson couldn't play an innocent, sexy, or regal if her life depended on it.

Hepburn couldn't play sexy. Thompson couldn't play innocent.

[quote]she is the same in every film

Hepburn isn't?

[quote]In contrast, the performances of Audrey's just scoffed at was rightly praised then and is widely appreciated now.

Her casting in "My Fair Lady" over Julie Andrews was regarded as an embarrassment in 1964. Many believe Andrews won an Oscar because of that debacle.

by Anonymousreply 30305/23/2013

I think Hepburn has the IT factor and that she was a beautiful human being. But she was NOT a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 30405/23/2013

[quote]I think Hepburn has the IT factor and that she was a beautiful human being. But she was NOT a great actress.

Hepburn is far better and less actressy in, say, "The Nun's Story" than many of Meryl Streep's highly praised, gimmick-laden performances.

by Anonymousreply 30505/24/2013

How are Streep's performances "gimmick-laden", R305?

by Anonymousreply 30605/24/2013

I think by "gimmick" he means Streep's impersonations (Child, Thatcher) and some of the stuff she did in Angels in America ("look, I'm an old Jewish rabbi! now I'm a Mormon matron! now I'm Ethel Rosenberg!")

Anyway, when did it become unacceptable for an actress to have an opinion about another actress? I'm sure she was asked, and she answered honestly. Why does everyone have to toe the same ridiculous line about everything? Audrey Hepburn wasn't a fucking saint, and she was usually more about charisma than acting. A lot of stars were and are.

by Anonymousreply 30705/24/2013

[quote]I think by "gimmick" he means Streep's impersonations (Child, Thatcher) and some of the stuff she did in Angels in America ("look, I'm an old Jewish rabbi! now I'm a Mormon matron! now I'm Ethel Rosenberg!")

Maybe that is what he meant. But, that's what actors are supposed to do. I have a feeling he has no actual reasoning to back it up, much like the people on the "click-click-click" (whatever that means) bandwagon.

by Anonymousreply 30805/24/2013

Hepburn's nosejob was excruciatingly bad. Wonder what her real nose looked like?

by Anonymousreply 30905/24/2013

Audrey Hepburn had great charisma on the screen. You couldn't take your eyes off her. I have enjoyed watching Emma Thompson in various productions but would not see something just because she was in it.

by Anonymousreply 31005/24/2013

Pot meet kettle.

by Anonymousreply 31105/24/2013

R305, I understand what you mean. Streep performances now are largely caricatures.

by Anonymousreply 31205/24/2013

R18, I don't think karma exists either.

I think some crappy things happen to some bad people but they happen to good people, too.

When they happen to the bad people, everyone says: see? Karma!

But when they happen to good people, then some day: "Wow. They must have been Hitler in another life."

by Anonymousreply 31305/24/2013

"Audrey Hepburn had great charisma on the screen. You couldn't take your eyes off her."

I could and I have.

by Anonymousreply 31405/24/2013

[quote]I understand what you mean. Streep performances now are largely caricatures.

How so, R312? Could you expand on this please?

by Anonymousreply 31505/24/2013

[quote]"Audrey Hepburn had great charisma on the screen. You couldn't take your eyes off her."....I could and I have.

Are you suggesting, r314, that someone might have charisma and still fail to appeal to every single person on Earth? I've never heard such nonsense!

by Anonymousreply 31605/24/2013

Audrey may have been a movie star rather than a great actress but her films and roles are still remembered today? Who's going to remember any of Emma Thompson's movies? She's as limited as Audrey. She can only play one type of role: a middle or upper middle class Englishwoman. Emma stinks up the joint in every other type of role.

by Anonymousreply 31705/24/2013

[quote]Audrey may have been a movie star rather than a great actress but her films and roles are still remembered today? Who's going to remember any of Emma Thompson's movies?

Being well-remembered is no indicator of quality.

by Anonymousreply 31805/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.