Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When exactly did Dennis Miller lose his mind?

I try to avoid watching Fox News, but I switched to O'Reilly tonight just to see what he would say about Prop. 8. Dennis Miller is the guest. I remember when he was funny on SNL. I remember when he was angry and funny on HBO. Now he is screaming at the camera about Muslims and Mexican immigrants. (The gays don't seem to interest him.) Even if you agreed with what he had to say, it's disturbing to watch -- he's downright rabid.

by Anonymousreply 6904/21/2015

[quote] I remember when he was funny on SNL. %0D %0D You are unique.%0D %0D He was never funny.%0D %0D And you are way behind the times. Miller went neocon right after 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 108/04/2010

He was always nuts. When he was given a podium to preach from, people realized it.

by Anonymousreply 208/04/2010

He's the Mel Gibson of comedians - always cuckoo, but the mask finally slipped for good.

by Anonymousreply 308/04/2010

R1, I'm not way behind the times. I'm quite aware that Miller turned reactionary after 9/11 on national security issues. I heard his opinions back then. But back then he had not turned into a screaming streetcorner maniac. He has now gone beyond being someone with whom I disagree. He's berserk. It's disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 408/05/2010

Probably a blackmail victim.

by Anonymousreply 608/05/2010

very gibsonian in demanor. i think a lot of these rabid and paranoid right wing ragers are mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 708/05/2010

She's bananas, and dreary.

by Anonymousreply 808/05/2010

He's become the house comic for the Fox News crowd.

by Anonymousreply 908/05/2010

I saw him in Vegas. His show was all about anger and putting down others but not funny at all. Packed house and very few laughs. 10 minutes of monologue would go by and stone silence from the audience.%0D %0D I was embarrassed for him.%0D %0D His only funny line was about how to torture Martha Stewart: Fuck her on dirty sheets.

by Anonymousreply 1008/05/2010

9/11 made him go insane.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1108/05/2010

I thought he was sort of funny on SNL and his HBO show had its moments. Not that he was a comedic genius, but he was okay.

Never expected him to go batshit crazy.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2010

post it anyway, r12- we like inklings around here!

by Anonymousreply 1408/05/2010

Miller is an irrelevant asshole. He needed a job, so he became a right-wing whacko and a once-a-week water-carrying, ass-licker of O'Reilley.

by Anonymousreply 1508/05/2010

[quote] (The gays don't seem to interest him.) %0D %0D Dennis and Bill O'Reilly laughed it up and traded jokes before about how Barney Frank would love getting raped in prison because he's gay.%0D %0D Dennis has become nuts and horrible. I remember years ago flipping by his HBO show and being shocked when his serious response to a photo of a young brown skinned kid who had been grabbed by US authorities for no clear reason and imprisoned without trial was the dismissal "looks like a terrorist to me". Last time I saw Dennis on the Daily Show he said he'd lost all his friends in comedy and he also tried to claim some day George Bush would be viewed like Abraham Lincoln (or George Washington, it was one or the other).

by Anonymousreply 1608/05/2010

Hie appealed to my inner self- taught idiot when he was on SNL. I was so proud that I understood his references and 'word-a-day' vocabulary.

By the time of his NFL fiasco, I'd discovered scotch and he was riffing the same old shit faster and faster.

I just wish somebody would sit him down and tell him that we all get it; he really is smart and he really should apply himself and get a respectable job that does not require speaking, listening, or running with fiery objects.

by Anonymousreply 1708/05/2010

Before anyone tries to defend him by claiming at least he's pro-gay, let me remind you he got in trouble a few years ago making a prison-rape joke about Barney Frank on Faux. Basically he joked that Barney would enjoy a stay in prison. Juvenile, homophobic and grossly inappropriate to say about an elected official.

by Anonymousreply 1808/05/2010

I remember when he'd satirize both Dems and Repubs. Then I didn't see him for a while. Next time he popped up he was telling someone about his ride on Air Force One with George W Bush, or as he called him, "My guy." he should set up house with Victoria Jackson, they're perfect for each other.

by Anonymousreply 1908/05/2010

Actually, I don't think Miller ever liked himself that much. Smartasses usually don't, with that agressive humour masking deep insecurity and self-loathing. His humour was always steeped in sarcasm and cynicism, which was refreshing in the mid-to-late 80s. He didn't let anyone get away with crap, but there was something about his humour that was always a bit hateful, cutting someone to the quick and then quickly capping it off with a 'I'm just joking' attitude. 9-11 fed into a deep feeling of vulnerability and fear in an otherwise deeply insecure individual. Like the idiots who used 9-11 to bolster themselves up, Miller ran with it.

by Anonymousreply 2008/05/2010

Dennis Miller was vocally and extremely right wing way before 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 2108/05/2010

When he was fired from HBO and ABC Monday Night Football in the same week and had no where else to go but Fox.

by Anonymousreply 2208/05/2010

I remember he was on Leno before 9/11 and he ripped Bush but after 9/11m he was into the whole "ill them before they kill us" idea of the conservatives. Sad but whatever, just goes to show how mentally weak he is.

by Anonymousreply 2308/12/2011

Back when [italic]Mystery Science Theater 3000[/italic] was on, the MST3K guys met Miller and apparently Miller acted like an asshole, telling them that some of the movies they made fun of on their show were actually good movies that did not deserve to be made fun of. They also described Miller as weirdly agitated and looking pale and unnaturally sweaty and basically implied that he had a huge drug problem.%0D %0D Mike Nelson is an extremely conservative rightwing Christian, however, so perhaps he and Dennis get along swimmingly now.

by Anonymousreply 2508/12/2011

He was funny in the early 90s, and went crazy after 9/11. I can't say whether 9/11 was the trigger or it was happening before. The early 90s miller would have called this Miller an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2608/12/2011

Is Miller really still socially liberal?

by Anonymousreply 2808/12/2011

"When exactly did Dennis Miller lose his mind?"

All afternoon, doing every little chore....

by Anonymousreply 2908/12/2011

[quote]"When I went to college, I lived on campus, and the guys I hung out with made me do some things I'm not proud of, although they made the characters in Revenge of the Nerds look like the Rat Pack in 1962. I myself made that kid Booger look like Remington Steele" (I Rant, Therefore I Am). Miller graduated from Point Park University in 1976.

The fuse was lit when he didn't go to the high school prom

by Anonymousreply 3008/12/2011

Who gives a shit about this hasbeen? He hasn't been relevant in a decade.

by Anonymousreply 3108/12/2011

He used to have such pretty hair.

by Anonymousreply 3208/12/2011

I think he did it for the $. He use to be entertaining and I even felt fine about him on MNF. He was always a screamer and made political observations but, didn't get real partisan. Then, Rush and other Rt. wing radicals on radio and TV started getting the lions share of the ratings and enjoyed the fruits of the proceeds that went with it. That Crazy MF sold out. Now it gets me sick to see his face.

by Anonymousreply 3310/01/2012

I saw someone claim online a few years ago that a lot of Dennis' funniest SNL material was written by Al Franken. I totally believe it.

by Anonymousreply 3410/01/2012

Take a look at Dennis Miller's Facebook page for a clue as to just how lowbrow and anti-intellectual he has become. He courts the ignorant bottom-feeders of the Fox viewing crowd. Anti-science, anti-intellectual, anti-progress. But hey, it's a living.

by Anonymousreply 3512/16/2012

R34 - I totally believe that. He would go on some really funny long intellectual ramblings - but I've never seen him make these types of observations since then.

He didn't write the stuff he became famous for. That's pretty much clear at this point.

by Anonymousreply 3612/16/2012

Dennis Milled changed, like so many middle of the road guys, when he had kids. He doesn't care about anyone else but HIS family and HIS children. It all boils down to guys get really afraid when they have children.

by Anonymousreply 3712/16/2012

[quote]Miller graduated from Point Park University in 1976.

The Harvard of the Monongahela Valley!

by Anonymousreply 3812/16/2012

I loved Dennis Miller back in the day. And he was always a BIG Victoria Jackson fan. He had a little thing for her it seemed at times. I'm so disappointed in how he is now. Seems like a night and day difference to me.

by Anonymousreply 3912/16/2012

Point Park University was a 'school for profit' when it started in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 4012/17/2012

Miller also said gay marriage should be put to a national referendum. He said that around 2004 when it was obvious it would've lost. Miller didn't care, he was just annoyed that so much was always being made of it in politics. He wanted it out of the way even if it that meant that gays would lose. That's how shallow his "support" for gay marriage is.

He also showed his true colors joking on O'Reilly about 5 yrs ago, that Barney Frank, being gay, would really enjoy a stay in prison. Oh isn't that hilarious and "pro-gay."

by Anonymousreply 4212/17/2012

He's perpetually playing the Catskills of Faux "News". Rug-wearing beard-dying phony twat. If we all thought like this douche, our time would seriously be numbered on this planet. Tries to validate himself by playing Cream on his specials. Total asshat.

by Anonymousreply 4308/18/2013

I don't ever recall him being funny. Was it for one night only?

by Anonymousreply 4408/18/2013

[quote]Dennis Miller was vocally and extremely right wing way before 9/11.

I remember watching one of his standup specials from the late 80s or early 90s and he was talking about saving America and he said the way to do that was to "get rid of the Arlen Specters of the world."

See the link to see what Specter was about.

by Anonymousreply 4508/18/2013

probably when he got fired from NFL football and cancelled by HBO in the same week

Two firings can do terrible things to the ego.

by Anonymousreply 4608/18/2013

Diversity does not include political diversity, which is poisonous and wrong. Sounds like you subscribe to an inferior ethical system.

by Anonymousreply 4808/18/2013

When he realized the only way to get a paycheck anymore was to join the wingnut club. He's the closest thing they have to an actual comedian. As opposed to the many unintentional comedians they currently employ.

by Anonymousreply 4908/18/2013

Dennis Miller goes on tour with Bill O'Reilly. Two douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 5108/19/2013

To answer the original question, a long long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 5409/16/2013

I loved when Howard Stern and Robin goofed on his book signing when he said nobody showed up.

by Anonymousreply 5509/16/2013

[quote]I saw him in Vegas. His show was all about anger and putting down others but not funny at all.

I feel like that was always his schtick, even before 9/11. A really smug bastard.

by Anonymousreply 5609/16/2013

I never watch anything he is on anymore, he's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 5709/16/2013

"Eh, I'll stick with George Orwell and Christopher Hitchens ( another one that the partisans savaged and issued fatwas against for the sin of apostasy), CDR"

Yet, despite being allegedly "savaged" and threatened by illusory fatwas, Christopher Hitchens, Dennis, Miller and others who adopt their particular form of "apostasy" (grasping for security security in middle age by settling in as the preferrred lapdops of the 1% under the guise of political courage) live out their lives in wealth, privilege and complete safety, protected by their patrons from the discomfort of facing down actual challenges to their bankrupt ideas and corrupt abandonment of anything resembling real political character. At least Hitchens had the decency to drown his weak character in booze. Miller is too lacking in insight to even recognize what a buffoon he is.

Orwell, for all his showy anti-Pinko hysteria, has become the literate Ayn Rand, toted about by pretentious middle school students and community college English Lit. Majors. He's who your ilk points to when you become desperate for someone with talent and integrity to wash off the stench of the Limbaughs and O'Reilly's, but he died a scared old man begging for an Anglican burial. He never trusted any of you, only your promise of a God on the other side--the closet to true greatness he found on this earth were the Spanish Republicans. And you hate that, don't you? Too bad you can't change it.

by Anonymousreply 5809/16/2013

Miller was always the guy with the angry diatribe. Hard to make an angry rant and have it be funny and hold liberal values, by not attacking people. I think he just got lazy and went to the dark side, it would be easy path to no enlightenment.

by Anonymousreply 5910/20/2013

I think it's a case of a guy who doesn't really believe the ideology he supports, nor does he understand a lot of the things he says. So he comes off as an unfunny asshole. Come to think of it, he is an unfunny asshole...

by Anonymousreply 6012/22/2014

9/11 made him crazy. he's still crazy. He's a selfish, self-absorbed, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6112/22/2014

I've been watching many of the VH-1 SNL reruns from that era. He was the best - and his HBO show was even better. It really is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 6202/10/2015

I believe Miller became more conservative and partisan after 9/11.

But his entire act, on stage and especially on the radio, is a concerted effort to appeal to the right wing fanatics who embrace Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Miller has purposely decided (correctly) that there is more money in being an entertainer for that crowd than a comedian for everyone. He's got a radio show, he appears on Fox as a contributor and tours as a comedian and also with Bill O'Reilly. He's arguably making more money than any other comedian who was on the scene during the same time he was out there.

On that note, there's some evidence over the years that both Limbaugh and Hannity are in that vein as well. They make so much money appealing to that crowd that they don't really care what they're saying, they simply know what they need to say (like mentioning the IRS scandal or Benghazi every ten minutes) to keep the audience agitated and the dollars flowing in.

by Anonymousreply 6302/10/2015

never ever thought he was remotely amusing or talented in anyway.. smug jerk of a "comedian".

his fox gig? the more rabid he comes off, the more attention (bad or good), thus the more ratings? he's no dummy in that way.

besides he probably needs the work.

by Anonymousreply 6402/10/2015

I liked Miller when I was younger but in revisiting his 1994 HBO special I see even his "good" jokes were awful. That show was the special with the famous joke about the average American "has the attention span of a ferret on a double espresso," but I swear, he says "ex-presso."

Not exactly the genius he pretends to be, is he?

Miller was already conservative by 1996. Watch "Citizen Arcane" - right around the 10 minute mark, he flirts with homophobia. About the 15 minute mark, he's bitching about the ACLU and pissed at liberals because they don't like the death penalty.

He's fucking lying when he says 9/11 is what changed him.

by Anonymousreply 6502/10/2015

Does anyone under 55 or so know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 6602/10/2015

Rush Limbaugh spawned a legion of wannabe right-wing political entertainers.

by Anonymousreply 6702/10/2015

r37 gets it.

by Anonymousreply 6802/10/2015

I agree with most all of the poster's here. Miller has gone and lost his mind. Just a jackass Poster boy for a bunch of Right-Wing Lunatics. Ask his old buddies how they feel about him now. You get the picture. Buh Bye Dennis(whoever) you were, Miller.

by Anonymousreply 6904/21/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!