Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The View

Why do they always have to have obnoxious and loud queens like Alec Mapa and Mario Cantone on to represent gay men?

It is disgusting to see them scream, squeal and prance about.

Don't we have any normal gay representation?

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013

Where's Perez Hilton when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 108/03/2010

Short answer: because the show leans homophobic, especially after Rosie left.

by Anonymousreply 208/03/2010

Alec Mapa is less obnoxious than Cantone anyway. And he's usually funny. The problem is, as the OP points out, there's no diversity. They're both screaming queens and we never see any other kind of representation, not as guest hosts.

by Anonymousreply 308/03/2010

You make it sound like The View only books the screaming queens and never more masculine gay men. Is that true? Or are you just clutching your pearls at this one instance?

by Anonymousreply 408/03/2010

Yesterday Cantone kept screaming about the Ramrod sex club. It was gross and not funny.

by Anonymousreply 508/03/2010

I LOATHE Mario Cantone.

by Anonymousreply 608/03/2010

Yeah I saw that too, r5. He screamed "Ramrod" at the top of his lungs about 10 times. Way to dispel the notion that all gay men are crude and only care about sex.

by Anonymousreply 708/03/2010

When Mario walks around Chelsea, he is not loud, almost as if he wants to sink back into the sewer. Rather ugly.

by Anonymousreply 808/03/2010

Anyone watching this morning? Similar stuff.

by Anonymousreply 908/03/2010

Apparently Elisabitch is worried about her husband's online activity. She was touting some service where you and a buddy or spouse sign up to get reports of what sites your buddy or spouse has been viewing. I bet hubby has another computer with another ISP address for all his fun online time away from her! The others were asking her why you want to start out not trusting someone like that and she got quiet - I bet she had a reason for signing up with that service!

by Anonymousreply 1008/03/2010

I think Catone and Mapa where both very funny and while they are both "queeny" they have very different styles of comedy. Mapa is very sweet and pretty innocent- he had pictures of his partner and their adopted son at Disney! While Catone is the bitter, slutty type. And to be fair, it was Joy who brought up the Ramrod in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 1108/03/2010

They also have that Ross The Intern on the show

by Anonymousreply 1208/03/2010

Coming up, more minstrel show gays on THE VIEW!

by Anonymousreply 1308/03/2010

Why is the Radar Online guy in such a shiny suitjacket?

by Anonymousreply 1408/03/2010

Make that mince-tral show!

by Anonymousreply 1508/03/2010

Oh God, now they have a lovely Jewish mother who started a parental dating fix-up site trying to find a wife online for her adorable gay son who she doesn't seem to realize is gay. Pinging, pinging, pinging.

by Anonymousreply 1608/03/2010

They had that CNN guy who showed his cock on some cruising site and he was God damned boring, and probably won't be back. Give me Mario and Alec anytime. You sissies are just embarrassed to see yourselves truly represented on TV.

by Anonymousreply 1708/03/2010

Now say "such a shiny suitjacket" three times fast!

by Anonymousreply 1808/03/2010

"Yesterday Cantone kept screaming about the Ramrod sex club. It was gross and not funny."

As R11 said, it was Joy who brought up the Ramrod. She said it was a gay bar in The Village, Mario then corrected her, said it was not in The Village blah, blah, blah....

Whoopi was so bitchy to the Radar guy today, I can't believe she's still taking sides with that nutjob Gibson, she's definitely smoking too much ganga!

by Anonymousreply 1908/03/2010

Doesn't matter if Joy brought it up first. Did that mean that Cantone should have screamed it like 10x later?

by Anonymousreply 2108/03/2010

Whoopi sat there like a pissy little bitch with a scowl on her face when the Radar guy was introduced.

I hope she is on Gibson's payroll, cuz that sure is a lot of whorin' she is doing.

by Anonymousreply 2208/03/2010

And if anything we should applaud the View and Mapa for being so open and honest about his partner and their foster/adoption. I think he came off as very caring and a good parent.

by Anonymousreply 2308/03/2010

They should have Ricky Martin as a host. He is handsome beyond belief and a father.

by Anonymousreply 2408/03/2010

Now I'll have to see it, r20. I had just told myself I didn't need to see Whoopi bitch him out, but if he stood up to her, I want to see it. I normally can't bear the show and will only watch the occasional clip on YouTube, if they had a good guest or a cat fight.

by Anonymousreply 2508/03/2010

Agreed, Whoopi ought to be getting paid for defending him. She's like an irrational fan on the internet defending her favorite celebrity, the guy's PR people ought to give her presents.

by Anonymousreply 2608/03/2010

The show is supposed to be a bunch of shrieking harpies gossipping and talking over each other. Mario and Alec fit right in. It's a show for women by women.

by Anonymousreply 2708/03/2010

Finally someone said it. Thanks, R27.%0D %0D Can anyone suggest appropriately masculine gay hosts for THE VIEW? And Rosie doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2010

All the names I am coming up with happen to be closeted.

by Anonymousreply 2908/03/2010

Well who the hell is Cantone aside from someone Joy Behar decided to put on the map? He wasn't a "star" even to the minor extent he is now, until she made him a regular guest on The View. There has to be some funny gay comics that aren't a completely over the top minstrel show. The show just needs to decide to put them on.

by Anonymousreply 3008/03/2010

[quote]Can anyone suggest appropriately masculine gay hosts for THE VIEW? %0D %0D Thomas Roberts could be considered "appropriately masculine" as a gay host.

by Anonymousreply 3108/03/2010

R30, FYI, Mario was a comedian for years before his role on SATC. Joy knew Mario from the Manhattan comedy club circuit, many forget or simply don't know that Joy was a comedienne before her TV gigs.

Mario also hosted a kid's Saturday morning show called "Steampipe Alley".

Get your facts before commenting!

by Anonymousreply 3208/03/2010

So the facts are that Mario's a big star and always has been? Riiiight.

by Anonymousreply 3308/03/2010

[quote] Mario also hosted a kid's Saturday morning show called "Steampipe Alley".

Hey, that alone makes him a superstar!

by Anonymousreply 3408/03/2010

I think Mario Cantone is a perfect representation. You may not like that he is, but he IS.

by Anonymousreply 3508/03/2010

Cantone hosted the 4th hour of "Today" with Hoda Kotb. It was a disaster. The poor woman looked like she was ready to run out of the studio. She has done reporting from war zones, but nothing else was as bad as dealing with a Cantone disaster.

by Anonymousreply 3608/03/2010

[quote] Joy knew Mario from the Manhattan comedy club circuit, many forget or simply don't know that Joy was a comedienne before her TV gigs.

Yes of course he was one of her friends from her stand-up days. But dear, are you aware of the fact that simply being a stand-up comedian doesn't make you a "star"? There are plenty of virtually unknown stand-up comics. Mario was not a particularly well-known comic and hadn't, and still hasn't, achieved true stardom.

by Anonymousreply 3708/03/2010

No r37, all working stand-up comics are big stars. At least as long as they're friends with Joy and end up on my favorite show ever, The View!!!

by Anonymousreply 3808/03/2010

Cantone just isn't funny. Mapa is. It's ok to be effeminate. However, being effeminate doesn't mean being loud and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 3908/03/2010

Thomas Roberts is about as funny and entertaining as a board of wood.

by Anonymousreply 4008/03/2010

OP = self-loathing queen.

by Anonymousreply 4108/03/2010

[quote]But dear, are you aware of the fact that simply being a stand-up comedian doesn't make you a "star"? There are plenty of virtually unknown stand-up comics. Mario was not a particularly well-known comic and hadn't, and still hasn't, achieved true stardom.

He had his on one man Tony nominated Broadway show that was taped for HBO, you idiot. How many "virtually unknown stand-up comics" have achieved that? He replaced Nathan Lane in "Love! Valor! Compassion and costarred with Patrick Stewart in The Public Theater's "The Tempest" in Central park and then the Broadway transfer. Plus a frequent guest star on "Sex & The City" enough to be in both movies. Just because YOU don't know him doesn't mean others don't.

by Anonymousreply 4208/03/2010

...and he was in "Assassins."

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2010

Yes, I remember. His segment was called "Bathroom Break".

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2010

I hate how Whoopi kept on disregarding the fact that most victims of domestic violence don't seek out help straight away all because it refutes her skepticism on the situation. She completely embarassed herself and acted like a baby.

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2010

Entertainment requires extremes.

by Anonymousreply 4608/04/2010

It sure does. Pass me the burnt cork, willya?

by Anonymousreply 4708/04/2010

I loved Alec Mapa on the View. He made a big splash his first visit, a couple of weeks ago on the all comedian day, and they already asked him to come back and cohost. There is a lightness to him and his comedy that Mario doesn't have. Everything about Mario's comedy is broad and heavy.

The only time I was bugged with Mapa's appearance was when they paired him with Elisabeth to talk about women's clothes, but then I ended up enjoying him in that too, pulling out a ruffly pirate shirt and saying it would be something Elisabeth would wear and mocked her with, "Who's the pretty girl?".

by Anonymousreply 4808/04/2010

Mario Cantone is totally obnoxious. He's not funny. He's just loud and obnoxious.

by Anonymousreply 4908/04/2010

I liked Thomas Roberts when he was on. Eat me if you disagree.

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2010

Since the old cows like to talk about everyone else's personal stuff, do you think they'll talk about Barbara's daughter being drunk off her ass and getting arrested for DUI?

by Anonymousreply 5105/21/2013
Need more help? Click Here.