Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Robert Osborne on TCM

I know there was a thread on here a few months ago asking if he had health problems, and the verdict was that he was just losing weight. That said, he's talking funny. He's having trouble enunciating his words. Maybe it's just a new set of false teeth, but whatever it is he's been doing it for weeks and it isn't going away. Are we sure there isn't something wrong?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18906/01/2015

yeah, i noticed he sort of fading away, isn't he

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 108/02/2010

R2, yes he is gay. Btw, not that long ago someone posted a clip of him in the pilot for The Beverly Hillbillies (he was an actor way back when). He was very cute when he was young.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 308/02/2010

I have already forgotten the timeline (and of course the thread where I mentioned this before was deleted) but the 2 people I know who worked with him briefly in 2009 said he didn't seem ill in the least. At some point in 2009, though, he was got thin and looked exhausted. I never could find out what was wrong, but I found this online:

[italic]"The New York Post reported in April that Robert Osborne had been having kidney problems. As such, TCM built a set in New York City to film his intros, instead of requiring him to travel to Atlanta as he has always done before."[/italic]

He looks fine now, especially since he's 78.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 808/02/2010

How old are all of you? %0D %0D He's simply ageing but he's not unhealthy.%0D %0D You would all probably be shocked to see him without the camera makeup and flattering lighting.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 1008/02/2010

Joan Crawford was still seducing her co-stars on the set of 'Trog'. Just because there's fire on the roof...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 1108/02/2010

"Someone claimed they were his friend and he was "just on a diet", but anyone who knows Bob Osborne knows his real friends wouldn't come here to gossip." And here you are...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 1208/02/2010

Robert Osborne is the best. He makes it happen at TCM.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 1406/29/2011

Where is TCM located. LA, NY, Atlanta?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 1506/29/2011

Did anyone make a booking for the TCM prisspot cruise?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2106/29/2011

Ben will be on that cruise, feets in flip flops.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2306/29/2011

Did you know Mr. Osborne actually lives at the Osborne in NYC? True.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2506/29/2011

I thought the TCM cruise sounded cool but I don't have the money for a cruise right now

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2606/29/2011

Who was he before TCM?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2706/29/2011

Here's the younger version of Robert Osborne

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2806/29/2011

Has anyone here been to the TCM Film Festival? On paper it should be a hotbed of faggotry, but I don't recall a thread about it.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 2906/29/2011

^ Thanks for the clip. Did any of you older guys tap that back in the day?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3006/29/2011

What a doll

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3106/29/2011

Osborne was one of Lucille Ball's "kids" in her Desilu Talent School.....he knows where lots of bodies are buried and will take the information with him when he goes.

As for the slurring - I think it's a combination of age, trying to say TOO MUCH in too short amount of time - and some really BAD writing....my guess is the idiots who write for him (even if he provides some of the information) never sit down and try to say what they've written out loud....looks good on paper, but some of those tongue twisters are impossible.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3206/29/2011

I hope that's all it is, but I started this thread because I remembered my father having the same sort of difficulty talking when he was on chemo or radiation (whatever it was that week), and I was afraid that was it.

Enough time has passed that I suspect it's just false teeth or something. He's put a little weight back on, and he looks Aces compared to 120 days ago.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3306/29/2011

Has anyone worshipped Ben's feet? Were they fragrant and big toed?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3406/29/2011

My partner's 80-year-old mom sports the affection for Robert Osborne. I think she has to know he's gay, but everytime we all watch TCM, she swoons like a bobby-soxer when he comes on.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3506/29/2011

Is that Max Baer as Jethro in the Beverly Hillbillies clip? Looks like him but I'm not so sure. Is that the pilot episode?%0D %0D Bob Osborne was very handsome if not much of an actor.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3606/30/2011

[quote]I lust for Ben too.

Join the club.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 3806/30/2011

[quote]Joan Crawford was still seducing her co-stars on the set of 'Trog'. Just because there's fire on the roof...%0D %0D Oh, dear.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4006/30/2011

R35, that's adorable. My mom swoons over the guy in the Celexis ad.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4106/30/2011

Who's feet will I worship on the cruise first? I would drink gimlets from between Ben's toes!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4306/30/2011

I think Ben is sexier than hell, too!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4406/30/2011

He does look like he is fading away. Sad really

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4606/30/2011

[quote]Ernest Borgnine, Eva Marie Saint, exciting screen personality 'Tippi'Hedren and director Norman Jewison are joining the TCM cruise

If the boat capsizes, it will be one hell of a "Poseidon Adventure" remake.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4706/30/2011

But what did Bob do between that Beverly Hillbillies pilot and TCM? Alll those years in between?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4806/30/2011

Ben is not as appealing as Osbourne as a host on TCM.%0D %0D I guess he's sexy enough, but not what I want when I'm waiting to see a grand old film.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 4906/30/2011

Ben's uncle Joe was a famous Hollywood womanizer bedding Liz, Gene, Linda and so many others. He also wrote and directed All About Eve.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5006/30/2011

I lust for Ben - and I love his politics.%0D And Robert is so darn likeable. Love them both.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5106/30/2011

No mention of Robert Osborne and Alec Baldwin doing the Essentials? They have a nice chemistry with Alec often asking intelligent questions and Robert giving his encyclopedic knowledge of film.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5206/30/2011

R48 wrote for Hollywood Reporter, contributed to that Oscars book.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5306/30/2011

[quote] They have a nice chemistry with Alec often asking intelligent questions and Robert giving his encyclopedic knowledge of film.

Did you catch it the other week when Robert sort of bitch-slapped Baldwin? Baldwin was talking about some movie and he said something to the effect that "maybe you'll appreciate it more now, and show it more often," and Robert just looked at him and said, "No, that won't happen."

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5407/01/2011

re R45. Ooooh, that BITCH!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5507/01/2011

I also like the respect that Alec has for Robert. You can tell that while Alec is secure in his opinions and really knows quite a bit about old movies, he defers to Robert and asks him great questions. I also like the look of delight Alec gets on his face when Robert starts talking about when he met/knew/ran into so-and-so in the old days. I have that same look of delight on my own face at home.

I record quite a few movies from TCM; I am always disappointed when my movie doesn't have an RO intro/outro.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5607/01/2011

Anyone else ever fantasize about Robert and Alec having sex?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5707/01/2011

ROTFLMAO@r47!!!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5807/01/2011

"But he is so non-gay. He more sexy because he knows about film and is straight. That makes him even hotter."%0D %0D %0D %0D Ugh, the straight guy troll is back%0D

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 5907/01/2011

Has anyone seen Ben's feets? Are they clean and hairless, with long, thick toes? I hope they're hairless. But looking at Ben I think they might be hairy. I hate hairy feet. Couldn't even watch Lord of the Rings.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6107/01/2011

i have adored tcm and robert osborned since its inception. i couldnt imagine one without the other

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6207/17/2011

I kinda miss Bob Dorian and George Clooney's dad from when they used to do the intros on AMC, back when AMC actually showed American Movie Classics.

Whatever happened to Bob Dorian? He wasn't in the same league as Robert Osborne, but he was pleasant enough.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6307/17/2011

I love Robert Osborne. He's so classy and good-natured, and he inspires such utter confidence. He's one of the best television hosts working today.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6407/17/2011

I'm jus a lowly TCM fan and whatever is the problem with Bob Osborne Iwish him a speedy recovery. I would also strongly encourage him to go public with his "alleged time off "a la vacation". I have absolutely NO knowledge but it just makes no sense he would take a sudden unplanned vacation unless something unfortunate happened. Just a guess and i hope a bad one but i think a stroke is a possibility which would explain his sudden absence. Another possibilty is a cancer requiring chemo which is weakening and wld explain why he needs time to get back. Whatever the reason, i along with millions of others miss this great "TCM Chairman" who in simple words a real calss act. Get well soon and get back to work Bob - everyone misses you !!!!!!!!!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6507/25/2011

I'm hoping the fact that he still intends on attending the TCM Cruise means it truly is just a vacation...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6607/25/2011

What did we think of Janie Powell and The Tipster? Poor Jane's lookin' older, but she did a great job. Tip looked SMASHING, but was so dour and serious, trying a bit to hard to add portent to the subject matter of injustice at the hands of vigilantes.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6707/26/2011

The old gals are doing a good job, but I hope that 40 second "Robert is taking some time off . . . " intro before ever single movie isn't part of the plan for the next several months.

I love Robert Osborne, but I'm already telling the TV, "I know, I know, can we talk about the fucking movie already."

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 6807/26/2011

We love Robert in Dallas. I believe he had an extra part in Scruples miniseries. He was a guest at a cocktail party. (great miniseries by the way). We have prayers coming your way Robert and best wishes for a speedy recover. Your replacements are adequate, but there will never be another you. You have introduced us to so many movie treasures that would have gone unnoticed. Thank you, and hurry back.%0D You million fans in Dallas, TX

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7007/26/2011

I didn't realize how much I missed Robert Osbourne until Tippy took over. She needs to get a rhythm going or something. I have noticed that RO slurs words and was losing weight, and I would imagine he is having health issues, which no, he shouldn't share with the public, if he doesn't want to! I wish him well, and like many here, I hope he has a speedy recovery. As for all the others on here obsessed with sex and with saying mean things, you are never anonymous. Eventually we all have to answer to someone or something somewhere, so try to be kind. Doing so is much easier than you think, and it really will make you happier. It also has the added benefit of making the world a better place.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7107/29/2011

I also love how Robert Osborne and Alec Baldwin spar with each other a bit. It's all very respectful, but I like that they don't pretend to agree with each other just to keep things nicey-nice.

Melanie Griffith seems very trashy and low-rent, but her mother was glorious. Still is.

I remember Bob Dorian on AMC and liked him a lot. There was also a younger, gray-haired guy who used to host AMC for a while, he was cute, but now he does commercials.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7207/29/2011

I told you people years ago not to trust that Tess McGill. She stole Jack Trainor right out from under me. Trailer Trash.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7307/29/2011

r72, do you mean Nick Clooney, George's dad and Rosemary's brother?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7407/29/2011

No R74, it was a much younger guy.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7507/30/2011

R72, I remember that guy and I thought he was not only bright, charsimatic and appropriate for the channel (then), but also dead sexy!!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7608/01/2011

It is clear Robert drags his leg, he slurrs his words and his face is expressionless. I pray his minor surgery is a fact. I would hate to learn he is experiencing symptoms of ALS. Actor David Niven was just like that. ALS i also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 7908/08/2011

I do enjoy seeing Ben wearing a suit in the evenings, although he has poor taste in neckties--they tend to strobe and not photograph well.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8008/08/2011

LOVE Ben. And he looks like he has a big dick. I don't know why he doesn't return my calls...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8108/08/2011

%0D On tonights TCM Orsen Wells night - somebody else subsituted in for Robert Osborne.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8208/08/2011

That 'somebody else' is Ben Mankiewicz, R82.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8308/08/2011

whatever the problem is I think his audience should know the the real issue instead of wondering and hearing everyone's stories as he has been in our living rooms for years, we know of many other actors and host and their problems ,why not him,I've always enjoyed the wway he did the intros,A class act.Whatever it is I hope the best for him tcm lover "D" P.S Still waiting for the movie "The Key " to play again.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8510/15/2011

TCM ran a promo this morning w/Robert in a sweater, looking fabulous.

He announced he'll be back in December.

YAY!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8610/15/2011

Is Robert Osborne gay? I do not want to bash him, just want to know. Love his knowledge of movies, seems like a very nice man.

Just that I find it so strange that all the bios have no mention of marriage, or that he never married, no children etc.

It`s not easy to find a bio of a guy from his generation that does not have any mention of his private life, not even just the simple line stating...that he never married.

I think he is gay, but just wondered what the secret was about. If he is gay it`s very clear he is still in the closet

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8810/29/2011

R88 is the epitome of obtuse.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 8910/29/2011

Lorraine Bracco is subbing for him tonight. What is wrong with her? She can barely get a whole sentence out, even though it's obvious that she's trying to read a teleprompter. I don't know whether Osborne had a stroke, but she sure acts as if she did.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9010/29/2011

Lorraine looked and acted quite heavily drugged, R90.

I wanted to cheer her for getting all those words on the teleprompter out.

But the poor thing had no clue where she was or what she was doing. Perhaps she thinks she's still in 2002, doing press junkets for The Sopranos.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9110/29/2011

R91, my first thought was that she must be drunk or high, because that's exactly what she seemed like. But she's a professional actress, surely she wouldn't show up for a job stoned? So I wonder if she is or has been sick?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9210/29/2011

WTF? Bracco is actually pausing at the end of the line on the teleprompter. You can see her eyes shift to the next line and she starts talking again.

I thought you guys were exaggerating, but it's even worse than you described.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9310/29/2011

Is he gay? This would ruin my last 10+ years of watching TCM. If it's true where is my Beretta 9 Millimeter, I will not go on.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9411/05/2011

He's old.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9511/06/2011

Oh, Jesus, who cares about this nobody who did nothing? Get a grip, girls.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9611/06/2011

Who was that black man (the one with the dirty ring of hair around his mouth) who subbed for Robert recently? He was so pretentious.

It's like the fill-ins are only capable of two things - dear in the headlights discomfort and zombiedom or overly dramatic, hyper-sincere ham.

What Robert brought (brings!) is a wealth of knowledge and insight, but all presented in a casual, conversational way, with very little pretense. He made this job look so easy and it obviously is anything but!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9711/07/2011

I wish they had filmed three or four spots instead of just that one with him in the blue sweater. They're beating it to death.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9811/07/2011

I adore Robert Osborne. When asked who I would liked to be seated with at a dinner party I always answer Robert Osborne. I hope he is in good health and in the event he has any problem, I hope he trusts his fans to stand by him and love him through any issue.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 9911/08/2011

Bracco needs glasses to read..was she wearing her glasses when she had trouble with the TelePrompTer?

(The iPad provider the above spelling.)

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10011/08/2011

No, she was NOT wearing her glasses. I watched The Razor's Edge last night, recorded from days ago when she was hosting, and she looked and acted like a Lorraine Bracco pod that had been taken over by the brain of Melanie Griffith. Childlike, halting speech with inexplicable pauses and presposterous delivery. It was really SAD.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10211/08/2011

The night I saw her, she was wearing glasses and she looked great in them.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10311/09/2011

Ran into Robert twice this week. Looks well, if a bit thinner and a bit more frail. He said he did almost nothing during his absence--no traveling, etc.--and loved it.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10411/24/2011

Was anyone else on the cruise? I couldn't find any event for gay people to meet and that was surprising. Robert Osborne was amazing and it was mesmerizing watching his talks. I just wish he had talked more about being gay and his relationships since that is such an important part of life.

The only real shock was on the first night when Wink Martindale was hosting a trivia event and then introduced that Republican/FoxNews pollster and propagandist Frank Luntz. That guy is a professional hate spin doctor for the right-wing and it really made me almost puke to think he was on the ship.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10512/14/2011

Robert Osborne is awesome. Nice to know he was doing well enough to participate in the cruise.

Too bad they invited a hatemonger!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10612/14/2011

R105- Did Ben wear flip flops? Did you see him in a swim suit?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10712/14/2011

Robert gave a big detailed story about his time off. He wasn't sick at all but said it was his first vacation in years. He needed time to get dental work, some minor surgery, and do personal stuff. Usually he travels a lot but said he wanted to say in NYC the whole time. He also said he was actually back taping shows last month - with Drew Barrymore who is taking over for Alec Baldwin. Robert also said super complimentary things about Baldwin and says he loves working with him.

Robert had two sessions on the cruise where he answered questions from the audience for over an hour. It was totally fascinating and his stories were endless. He made the whole cruise worth it.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 10812/14/2011

I was thinking that his absence, the slurred speech, etc. are indictive of having had a minor stroke somewhere along the line...but apparently no one is talking or revealing that information, so who knows if my assessment is true. At any rate,I hope he is in good health now, as I love TCM and Mr. Osborne as the host.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11005/15/2012

ROBERT, IS NOT GAY, HE IS CHRISTIAN AND HIS WIFES NAME IS SARA. YOU WHOM DOESNT WANT TO SHOW YOUR NAME!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11109/30/2012

If Robert Osborne is sick, or not my Prayers go to him and his family. It shouldn't matter if he is gay or not. He is a very special man. And I am looking forward to when he does come back to TCM he seems to be a very kind and caring person.He makes the channel going back to no matter what is playing.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11210/10/2012

Is Robert Osborne gay? That's like asking if the Pope's a cocksucker.

OF COURSE HE IS!!!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11310/10/2012

Tonight on TCM, Bob interviewed by Alec Baldwin who is no longer coloring his hair. Who is his bf? Alec is getting pretty queeny.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11401/06/2014

r114, I saw the show. Bob was really hot when he was young!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11501/06/2014

Looks like they are going to run off somewhere and have a little affair!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11601/06/2014

What's with Robert Wagner in the background in all those old photos? Are/were Osborne and Wagner an item?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11701/07/2014

I saw that show tonight, too. Robert is so beloved by so many. Carole Cook was dear friends with Lucille Ball so it is no wonder she and Robert are pals. Osborne knows everyone from old Hollywood who is still around.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 11801/07/2014

R119, Dick Kallman, who was a DL topic not too long ago (linked below). Kallman was a good friend of another DL fave, Dolores Gray.

Bob, Dick and Majel Barrett (later Roddenberry) were all memebers of The Desilu Revue.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12001/07/2014

[quote]Dick Kallman, who was a DL topic not too long ago (linked below).

Upon checking that link I posted, I discovered it was created over 2 years ago. I thought it was fairly recent. Oh well.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12101/07/2014

How's his health?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12201/07/2014

I Luuuuuuuuuuv Elizabeth Taylor!!! She's my favorite actress of aaaaal time!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12301/07/2014

Wikipedia states that he is married to "Sara Osborne" from 1965-present. During the Alec Baldwin interview, his wife was not mentioned at any time during the segment. (I could be mistaken.) There were no pictures of her, either. This is odd. Even if "Mrs. Osbourne" prefers to stay out the spotlight, she should have been mentioned in someway. His mother, father and sister are mentioned, but not his personal life. It was all focused on "career." Doesn't this sound familiar?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12401/07/2014

I know Robert. There is not, nor has there ever been, a "Mrs." Osborne.

Anybody can post into Wikipedia but without verification from an outside source, that information will be deleted.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12501/07/2014

I saw him several years ago on a Sunday afternoon walking through a Sargent show at The Jewish Museum (Sargent had a number of Jewish patrons and painted them). Bob's tall, and he looked natty in a blazer. I was glad to see that he has interests other than old movies. He seemed to be alone, reading the wall notes and taking everything in very slowly.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12601/07/2014

I was impressed with the fact that he stated that he wanted to maintain a life outside the industry; life in New York enables him to do that whereas LA wouldn't have. He is a born New Yorker (although he wasn't born there).

I was also impressed with the genuine love of an art form without it being tainted with neuroses or creepy puerilism (like James Lipton). I think that's why so many actors love him and call him a friend - they've all been made jaded in some way and he reminds them that movie making is an artform and they are all in some form or other artists.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12701/07/2014

That Mickey Rooney clip they showed was funny, disturbing, awkward, embarrassing, frightening and sad all at the same time.

I could have listened to Osborne talk for hours about his encounters with stars.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12801/07/2014

I wanted to barf after seeing Baldwin and all of those grizzled "waxworks" fawn over him. I like Osborne, but they made him sound like the patron saint of film.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 12901/07/2014

I remember there's a story about how he got his apartment. Didn't some old movie star leave it to him or give him a sweetheart deal on it?

Also, he said that when came to NYC he was given the theater beat. I assume this included Broadway. Was he respected as a theater critic?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13001/07/2014

How Osborne got his apartment at link.

He was never a critic, R130, he was an "entertainment reporter" - sort of a higher-toned version of those idiots on Entertainment Tonight and the other shows of that ilk.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13101/07/2014

Great article about Bob's 3 apartments at The Osborne! Thanks for posting r131.

So was Bob lying in 2006 when he said he was in his mid-60s?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13201/07/2014

I loved the Private Screenings episode on Bob but wish it could have gone on for 2 more hours with him letting loose with some really good reminiscences about all the stars he's known.

Why hasn't he written a book about them all? I feel as though he could enlighten us with lots of new info but coming from him it wouldn't be malicious or catty.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13301/07/2014

For some reason, I found it very cool that Lucille Ball and Marlene Dietrich were friends. I didn't know that.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13401/08/2014

Bob was close friends with all the ladies of Hollywood but, apparently, few of the men, Robert Wagner being the one exception.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13501/08/2014

The kinds of relationships Osborne had with the men of Hollywood are usually not long-lasting, Dotty.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13601/08/2014

"I could have listened to Osborne talk for hours about his encounters with stars."

Someone needs to get him drunk so he'll spill the dirt!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13701/08/2014

What does that tell you, r135 ...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13801/09/2014

He tells a great story of having been a seat filler at the 1970 Academy Awards, where he found himself sitting next to Elizabeth Taylor when Richard Burton left to present an Oscar.

Burton took his sweet time returning to his seat and Elizabeth, which made her more furious by the minute.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 13901/09/2014

Bob also tells a funny story about Lucy, explaining she'd only accepted the role of Mame when Angela passed on it.

Angela said, "Oh no, that wasn't true, I wanted to play Mame in the worst way!"

Bob replied, "Well, isn't that funny, that was just how Lucy played it."

I can't think of anyone I'd rather have for a dinner companion than Bob Osborne.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14001/09/2014

Marlene Dietrich's friendship with Luiclle Ball began when "I Love Lucy" became an enormous hit. Dietrich enjoyed making friends with people who suddenly became very famous. Two other example: Rosemary Clooney and Yul Brynner from the 1950s.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14101/09/2014

Robert is probably the last real hollywood insider. The gossip he knows must be remarkable

He'll never tell thošŸ˜³

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14201/10/2014

Another Osborne story, when a number of celebs found themselves on the same plane flying from Los Angeles to DC for the 1987 Kennedy Center Honors.

Bette Davis, Lucille Ball, Angela Lansbury, Diahann Carroll, Vic Damone, Sammy Davis, Jr., all seated in First Class.

At one point, Bette stood and asked aloud, "I wonder if this plane crashes, who would get the biggest headline?"

Everyone laughed and Lucy said, "It would be you, Bette."

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14301/10/2014

"Robert is probably the last real hollywood insider. The gossip he knows must be remarkable

He'll never tell thošŸ˜³"

Wish he'd write a tell-all that would be published after his death, like the Ava Gardner book that was published last year.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14401/10/2014

I wonder whose Tony Award Osborne has in his NYC apartment.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14501/10/2014

I loved Bob's story on Private Screenings of his youthful experience working with Jane Darwell in a regional theater production of Night Must Fall.

He told her he wanted to establish himself as a serious actor in NY but she advised him to go to Hollywood instead. I wonder if she knew he wasn't a good enough stage actor for Broadway or if she felt his looks, which were rather pretty and callow were better suited for Hollywood.

Lucy also apparently discouraged his acting career and urged him to become a writer.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14601/10/2014

I'm shocked at how messy and cheap his apartment looks in that Times article,

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14701/10/2014

Oaborne has promised, like Roddy McDowell before him, to never spill the tea. Which is why every old girl in Hollywood confides in him, and loves him. He knows where all the bones are buried and has sworn to secrecy.

And like Roddy, who wouldn't allow his "memoirs" to be published until 100 years after his death, Osborne will take his secrets to the grave and never reveal what he knows.

He lives around the corner from Angela Lansbury and I've had the pleasure of their company on several occasions. Great stories told, but only told with the understanding that they would never be repeated outside the room. So many names were dropped it was like reading the Beverly Hills telephone book, circa 1968.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14801/10/2014

I hope Robert Osborn has had more of a life beyond hanging with famous older show business women, escorting them to plays and benefits and gossiping.

During his interview with Baldwin, I heard the names of a lot of men mentioned (perhaps not famous) but people who led Osborn to one of his many breaks.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 14901/10/2014

Huh! I can't say I remember him mentioning any men who helped him in his career.

Who were they?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15001/10/2014

I love Osborne.

I wonder how he was so well-fixed in the 80s to spend half a million dollars on an apartment. He said he got the smaller Bernstein apartment for $300k in the 90s. Then there's the third apartment as well.

Mind you, these are all worth many times what he paid for them now. But before TCM came along, how could an actor turned entertainment reporter (in print, no less) enjoy this kind of lifestyle?

Was there a sugar daddy? Or a mommy?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15101/10/2014

It seems to me Bob could fill a book with fascinating and funny stories about old Hollywood that wouldn't ruin anyone's reputation.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15201/10/2014

While he was an "entertainment reporter" before landing on TCM, Osborne was very highly respected and well paid - he wrote for Variety (which is the best place an entertainment reporter can work) and he was the author of several best-selling books, including his book (updated every five years, including this November) that is considered the main go-to reference book about the Oscars...

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15301/10/2014

Wasn't there something about Bette Davis leaving him the first of his Osborne apts in her will?

While the Osborne is a gorgeous old building, it's in the Carnegie Hall neighborhood which is not very residential friendly unless you are a billionaire with servants or a tourist in one of the many huge hotels. There are no supermarkets nearby and all the restaurants are tourist traps or over-priced coffee shops.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15401/11/2014

I adore him. He is handsome and charming. I love to watch him introduce the movies on TCM. I love classic movies and he always has such great stories about behind the scenes. As to whether or not he is gay, I could care less. I love him and his private life is his business. He is a classic himself. Perfect host for TCM.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15501/14/2014

Bette Davis was not ectremely rich; my memory is that she left everything to her son and the woman who was her assistant in the last years of her life.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15601/14/2014

Sat next to Osborne twice at Town Hall Broadway concerts. He knew plenty about theatre.

The second time it was a salute to 1978, and we both had seen most of the original productions and had a lot to talk about. A great memory.

I agree that I'd pay big bucks to hear him really dish the dirt, but in this day and age, he and Roddy are such exotic creatures of discretion it makes me love them even more.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15701/14/2014

"Bette Davis was not ectremely rich; my memory is that she left everything to her son and the woman who was her assistant in the last years of her life."

Bette left many of her personal possessions to Boston University, where they were placed on public display after her death in 1989.

Her furniture, artwork, scrapbooks, photo albums, correspondence, awards, etc.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15801/14/2014

R154, Bette Davis never owned an apartment in the Osborne. There are, incidentally, two supermarkets within a three block radius of the building.

What DO you know about?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 15901/14/2014

A rat jumped out of the drain of the toilet in his guest apartment. This was even before the construction next door led to a mouse infestation in the building.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16003/08/2014

What you neglect to mention, R160, is that his guest apartment is on the ground floor of the building, behind the main lobby, so it's not a stretch for a rat to show up.

It's also the apartment where his dear friend Diane Baker stays when she comes to town - which ties into that other thread about the "Deluded 1960s Starlet" - that's Diane.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16103/08/2014

Yes, Millie, the lobby location was mentioned on the starlet thread. But the collapsing ceiling in the guest apartment has not come up. (It was a separate incident, a flood.)

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16203/08/2014

I live in a small apartment building in a decent Philadelphia neighborhood, and that happened in the ground floor apartment. I once lived in that ground foor apartment before moning upstairs, but had a cat.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16303/08/2014

A cat jumped out of your toilet?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16403/08/2014

Have any DLers been to the TCM film festival? Pros and cons to it? I am thinking that I should have gone this year.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16504/11/2014

Gig Young lived at the Osborne. On October 19, 1978, three weeks after his marriage to Kim Schmidt, the couple were found dead in their apartment. Police theorized that Young shot his wife and then turned the gun on himself. No motive for the murder-suicide was never made clear.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16604/11/2014

Osbourne's hiatus from TCM may have been illness related, but I did notice his skin was a lot tighter when he came back.

He and Robert Wagner may be more than just friends.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16706/05/2014

I hope Bob isn't sick again

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16806/05/2014

Robert Osborne is NOT gay....he has been married to his wife, Sarah, since 1965.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 16909/16/2014

[quote]he has been married to his wife, Sarah, since 1965.

Has he seen her since 1966?

I have known him for 25 years, and have never met or heard of his wife, Sarah. Not that I doubt you, of course. It just seems odd.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17009/16/2014

I've always wondered where the Sarah rumor comes from. Some old publicity or a simple mistake?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17109/16/2014

Does he have a wife locked up in the attic a la Jane Eyre?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17209/16/2014

Where can i get that mosiac maroon tile on his set?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17301/05/2015

Dude, he's way over 80 years old. Give the old guy some slack!

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17401/05/2015

He has cancer. That time he was away was for chemo.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17501/05/2015

From the TCM Facebook page:

TCM host Robert Osborne posted today on the TCM Classic Film Festival website that he will not be in attendance at the festival, which begins in Hollywood on March 24. Osborne writes that he has been putting off a minor health procedure and planned to take care of it after his hosting duties at the festival. But his doctor said "'enough, already Osborne. Let's get this done now so that sooner than later you can get back to introducing movies on TCM.' So that's what I am doing right now-taking care of that medical procedure. Rest assured that the many talented hosts at the Festival, including Ben Mankiewicz, will be helping you have the very best festival-going experience."

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17603/18/2015

Any news? He's been MIA for weeks.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17705/09/2015

Love him! I hope he can pull through

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17805/09/2015

He is everything Andy Cohen could only dream of being. He's the Anti-Andy Cohen.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 17905/09/2015

R179 Puh-LEEZE! Has he ever had Lance Bass?

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18005/09/2015

I love Osborne and I always look forward to him introducing movies. As much as I like him is about how much I dislike Ben Mankeiwicz (sp?). I know he tries, but I find him quite unlikeable. I don't like his speaking voice and I don't think he's funny, though he tries.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18105/09/2015

He now speaks with a pronounced lisp. I figured it was dentures. He's probably on a restricted diet.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18205/09/2015

He was good friends with Roddy Mcdowall I read somewhere a while back.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18305/09/2015

Mankeiwicz is "Hollywood royalty," though. His great uncle Joe directed some of the best of the classics, including All About Eve and A Letter to Three Wives. I, too, find his voice irritating and his demeanor offputting, although he does try. I much prefer his brother Josh who, although rather "schlubby" is still kind of cuddly and has a more pleasant style.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18405/09/2015

Osborne has been looking so poor lately I expect he will have to retire very soon. Unfortunately nobody has come close to him in his appeal, charm and love for classic film.

And there is nothing that is obviously charming about the guy. He just has 'it.'

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18505/09/2015

He hasn't been on in quite some time now, at least regularly. Ben has been saying each night that he is "standing in for Robert Osborne." I wonder if this is already the slow transition to a new host? Or if there are health problems that are being kept under the radar? Funny that so many just have a "feeling" that Osborne has health issues and not just because of his age. Sort of a "psychic" thing or whatever. Not sure why. Other people are older and healthier and you don't think about that.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18606/01/2015

He canceled his appearances at the TCM Film Festival at the last minute. He said it was for surgery, and he laughed it off, but the silence since then has been deafening.

Interestingly they're still promoting him as one of the hosts on the upcoming cruise.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18706/01/2015

He's back! He's doing the intros tonight, and he's carefully announcing the fact that it's the first day of June so we know it's a current intro.

He looks a tad thin and he's wearing a lot of face makeup, but all in all not bad.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18806/01/2015

He should've come back as Caitlyn Osborne.

by Love the man, just wondering.reply 18906/01/2015
Need more help? Click Here.