Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Last Dinner Theater Production You Saw

And how does that work? Are people seated and eat during the play or musical?

by Anonymousreply 4902/20/2013

Eat before the show. Dessert during intermission.

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2010

So what if people walk in during the middle of the production? They don't get served? They are turned away at the door?

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2010

I went to one in college because my roommate's girlfriend was in the cast. Rainbow Dinner Theater in Lancaster, PA.

It was billed as the "all comedy" dinner theater because a lot of people complained that dramas and musicals were too irritating with dinner.

Therefore, they would perform the most innocuous sub-high school theater group comedies, most of them from England for some reason.

She was in the supporting cast in every show. Sometimes she would have a line or tow, but she would also have to wait tables.

"Hi...I'm Jenna, your waitress. I will also be playing 'gossipy secretary' in tonight's production of 'Mr. Tindersloot Finds a Wife.' Can I start you off with an appetizer tonight?"

She had no sense of humor about it, and took the whole thing very seriousuly. But we got free tickets and free meals out of it. He stopped dating her as soon as the season was over.

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2010

I've only been to one - The Oregon Cabaret Theatre - about 5 years ago because a friend was in a show there. I believe they began seating for dinner 90 minutes before the show so everyone had plenty of time to eat and have their tables cleared by the time the show started. Dessert was served at intermission (you had to order before the show so they could bring it out right when the intermission started).%0D %0D I was suprised at how good the food was. I was expecting something on the level of a diner but it was actually quite good.

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2010

mine was a striptease

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2010

Our local one is called "Luke's Brisket and Broadway Dinner Theater," which might make more sense in a Jewish retirement village in Florida, but this is New Orleans.

Example of the "Broadway"-caliber production, "Chef's Surprise," at link. Too bad for you it's sold out!

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2010

Helen Lawson in The Women at the Lawn Jockey in the Square Dinner Theater at the Port Plaza Mall, Manitowish Landing, Maine, also starring Polly Bergen, Theresa Wright, Anne Revere, Benay Venuta, Spring Byington, Marge Champion, Butterfly McQueen, Evelyn Varden and a very young Penny Fuller. Boffo! %0D %0D We feasted on deviled eggs, rumaki, veal Prince Orlof, spinach soufle and rice pilaf with olive chutney before curtain, and at intermission, a lovely floating island was served with our sanka.

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2010

"The Unsinkable Molly Brown" in Denver.

She sank.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2010

[quote]Helen Lawson in The Women at the Lawn Jockey %0D %0D Who is the person who thinks anything about Helen Lawson is cute, funny, or even slightly clever? I'd rather have a dozen threads about the price of gas at Half Moon Bay.

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2010

The only people who eat and watch a show at the same time are in Broadway theaters.

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2010

R2 - when you buy your tickets or make a reservation, they tell you: Dinner is served at 6, the show starts at 7:30. So you won't be late.%0D %0D My favorite is the estimable Beef 'n' Boards Dinner Theater in Indianapolis. An EQUITY house! Dinner is a buffet ON THE STAGE before the show. At half-hour, the buffet is removed from the stage and the show goes on.%0D %0D Dessert and beverages are brought to you by a waitperson.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2010

Does Moulin Rouge "Feerie" count? If so, we ate/drank before and during the show.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2010

I saw Karen Mason who is my good friend at the Westchester Dinner Theatre. I had the half-baked chicken which I higly recommend. That and desert and Karen Mason for $30 and the train you can't beat it.%0D %0D Matryann

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2010

Burn Brae Dinner Theater, in Maryland, near DC, had some fantastic shows. In Northern Virginia there was Ardith Cavallo's Lazy Susan Dinner Theater - absolutely wretched shows.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2010

Went to one of those 'mystery theater' things. It was so loud it made digestion difficult. All the corny lines and jokes would make a vaudevillian cringe.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2010

MAME at the Mark Two Dinner Theatre in 1998. We were served dinner before the show and dessert at intermission like everyone else's did. Btw, the production seriously sucked. They used canned music, cut entire songs from the score, and I even I remember the set almost collapsing during "Bosom Buddies".

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2010

More dinner theater stories please!!!

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2010

[quote]Eat before the show. Dessert during intermission.

By your definition, the last dinner theater production that I saw was Der Fliegende Holl%C3%83%C2%A4nder at the Met.

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2010

Eat before the show. Dessert is offered and served at intermission.%0D Funny Girl at the New Theater Restaurant in Overland Park, Ks. A professional state of the art equity dinner theatre that did take liberties with the script adding songs from the movie "Roller Skate Rag" and "My Man" that are not licensed for the stage production.%0D This was reported to Tams Witmark but they didn't do anything so the show continued using the movie songs.%0D Their production of Driving Miss Daisy with Michael Learned was actually pretty good.%0D Most of the shows they do are puff .Lots of Church Basement Ladies type comedies and never Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2010

LOL r11- A friend just did a production of Hello, Dolly! at that theatre. He played one of the leads. You go where the work is, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2010

When vegan and DL fav Bonnie Franklin did a show at the New Theatre in Overland Park she insisted that all food plates be removed before the show began. She did not want to smell the baron carved roast beef or the chicken spendini.%0D She asked management to not allow food to be served in the first three rows closest to the stage but her pleas were ignored.%0D %0D and she's a bitch to boot.

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2010

Not a fan of New Theatre but I do give them props for producing a production of the Tom Sawyer musical that flopped on B'way a few years ago. The one that starred Kristen Bell and Joshua Park.

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2010

Westchester Broadway Theatre just outside NY, has a pretty good rep.

by Anonymousreply 2308/02/2010

When I was in college, I worked on two dinner theatre productions (Springfield, Mo) that starred college theatre student Kathleen Turner. This was way before she moved to NY got cast in the soap, The Doctors and the lead in Body Heat. The plays were The Owl and the Pussycat and Goodbye, Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2010

I want to go to the annual "A Beef 'n' Boards Christmas."

The website says it's in a "traditional variety show format."

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2010

Carole Cooke as Mame at The Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater in 1986 with Lorna Luft as Gooch. Dinner was before the show.

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2010

A wretched sex farce titled THE SENSUOUS SENATOR at the Quincy Dinner Theater in Quincy, Massachusetts. (A co-worker was in the cast.) The space was like a large church hall, with a flat floor and raised, proscenium stage at one end. The hall was filled with round tables that seated 8 people each. There was a walk-up, cash bar. The staff were all elders from the community. Everyone on the staff and in the audience seemed to know one another and we were greeted with interest, as we did not have white hair and bi-focals. We chose our entrees when we made the reservation and we were served dinner before the production. I had the "Roast Beef,' served with scalloped potatoes and glazed carrots. I bought a glass of red wine, served in one of those odd, plastic wine glasses with the stubby stem. we ate dessert before the show began. Ice cream cake roll and tea or coffee. The show was LOUD more than anything else. The actors enunciated within an inch of their lives. Gestures were semaphore signals. No one in that crowd was going to say that they couldn't hear or understand those actors! Lots of women in bras and men in boxers running around, screaming. I linked to the Samuel French description of the show, which (btw) is by the same author as THE AMOROUS AMBASSADOR

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2010

I can't remember the name of the show but it starred Elinor Donahue of Father Knows Best fame. This was 1990 at The Waldo Astoria in Kansas City.

And IIRC the salads were already at your table when you sat down and then dinner was buffet style.

by Anonymousreply 2808/02/2010

Picture it: Miami. 1985. John Forsythe as Hamlet at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater. He made me moister than the Broiled Red Snapper entree.

by Anonymousreply 2908/02/2010

[quote] Their production of Driving Miss Daisy with Michael Learned was actually pretty good.

Ellen Pompeo, your future is calling.

by Anonymousreply 3008/02/2010

[quote]Picture it: Miami. 1985. John Forsythe as Hamlet at the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater%0D %0D Difficult to picture it in Miami when the BRDT was in North Palm Beach.

by Anonymousreply 3108/02/2010

I don't know the story behind the mlop parody posts -- and don't really want to know -- but when done well, as R13 has done, they make me laugh more than almost anything on DL.

Thanks, R13.

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2010

R28- I think Elinor did 40 CARATS but I could be mistaken. And the salads are at the table when you arrive at New Theatre. However, the food is really good. Much better than what they served at the old Waldo Astoria and Tiffany's Attic Dinner Theatres.%0D Can you believe that there is a waiting list just to buy season subscriptions??! That theatre out there in OP Kansas has really found it's group. No we will never get productions of Cabaret, Into the Woods or%0D Evita but any feel good musical is considered.

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2010

A friend dragged me to a dinner theater production one of his (non-mutual) friends was in. Auntie Mame. We had prime rib - badly prepared - before the show. Ten minutes before curtain, a kindred spirit who was also there and I ordered a second carafe of cheap red wine. To fortify us for what was to come.

A portion of the stage was hydraulic and rolled out, making so much noise it nearly covered up the music, which was a good thing, come to think of it. When the cast danced, the echo of their weight on the partially hollow stage extension was deafening. The performances were middling.

At intermission, my spiritual sister began to hastily gather her things to get out of the theater, ASAP. When I told her it was only intermission, she ordered another carafe of red wine. I can't remember if there was dessert.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2010

I remember the date - January 26, 1986. The day the Bears won the Super Bowl. We were transplanted Chicagoans living in Orange County, CA. I was in the high school band and the director wanted us to go to a dinner theatre production of "My Fair Lady" which we were doing later that semester as our musical. I wore a Bears pin in the lapel of sports coat and got plenty of thumbs up from the poor husbands who were dragged there by their wives instead of watching the game. Can't remember the dinner or the production. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2010

Check the menus at the dinner theatre in Westchester in Elmsford.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2010

At Westchester you get half baked chicken, ptoatpes that are mashed, vegetable coffee or tea and a roll. Oh, and desert.%0D And Karen Mason had audiences with their heads in there hands her voice had them it was so good.%0D %0D Maryann

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2010

In Syracuse, NY there's a group that does a "dinner theatre" at the local Spaghetti Warehouse, only with old movies from the 1930's, 40's and 50's instead of live shows.%0D %0D Dinner's before the show, then the M.C. gives background info about the film (sort of a Robert Osborne-type intro), then the first half of the film. After the first half there's an intermission where dessert is served. Then the second half of the film.%0D %0D The shows are fun, but I notice that nothing TOO heavy is screened. Comedies, musicals, romantic dramas and mysteries are favorites, and every October they have their big Halloween horror show.

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2010

A couple of years ago, I attended a dinner/theater event in a Minneapolis suburb. I don't recall the play, but I recall having enjoyed the evening. Dinner was served first, then the play started after most has stopped eating.

Stage plays seldom work for me. Watching actors at close range isn't very convincing to me. In the case of my Minnianoplace experience, it was better than most. Live theatre works for me in London, but even in NYC, I seldom click with any of the plays I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2010

r39 - Chanhanssen?

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2010

Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater:

Ruth Buzzi in Evita

Mr. Jamie Farr in The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2010

Chanhanssen is where film actress Amy Adams got her equity card.

by Anonymousreply 4208/03/2010

Didn't Earl Holliman own a dinner theater?

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2010

I'd love to work at a dinner theatre!!

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2010

[quote]Burn Brae Dinner Theater, in Maryland, near DC, had some fantastic shows.

I saw a production of "1776" there. Superb. The music was taped, but good.

My favorite dinner theater in the area, though, was the Harlequin, in Rockville. Closed in 1992, but really top-notch acting. And a six-piece orchestra for musicals. I remember a production of "Ain't Misbehavin'" that was amazing, even better than the Broadway version. And every week they'd have a cabaret show featuring a number of the actors from whatever show was playing, just doing sort of a night club cabaret act. Lots of fun.

There's also Toby's Dinner Theater in Columbia and Baltimore, but while I went to Toby's once, I honestly don't remember much about the production, so I'm guessing it wasn't exceptional.

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2010

More discussion!

by Anonymousreply 4602/20/2013

Does the Hoop De Doo Revue count?

by Anonymousreply 4702/20/2013

Karen Valentine in 'Night, Mother.

by Anonymousreply 4802/20/2013

Toby's actually does good work. Lots of Helen Hayes (DC Theatre Award) nominations. Saw a truly great Evita there many years ago. Seriously.

A surreal dinner theatre like experience is the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede. The audience is served the full dinner with no utensils- including soup- so you can constantly stuff your face while you watch a live rodeo and stunt show that also tells the story of the Civil War! At the end Dolly is projected on a giant screen wearing a red white and blue sequin gown singing America the Beautiful

If you're in Pigeon Forge, TN, I highly recommend it!! Camp Heaven. And the cowboys are really hot!

by Anonymousreply 4902/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!