Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Katy Perry = Religious Nutbag

The California girl, who has "Jesus" tattooed on her left wrist, tells the magazine, "Speaking in tongues is as normal to me as 'Pass the salt..' It's a secret, direct prayer language to God." Perry, 25, adds that her dad usually speaks in tongues while her mom plays interpreter. "That's their gift," she explains.

by Anonymousreply 7811/01/2013

I knew her parents were religious nutjobs, but thought for some reason she was more intelligent. Guess not. What a shame.....

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2010

I thought she abandoned the pretensions of religiosity when she became a faux-lesbo secular heathenist devil-woman.

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2010

How long before she cracks under the strain of the double identity? Coming from a "Speaking In Tongues" church for the first 16 years of my life I can tell you that shit is hard to shake.

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2010

r5 = Mel

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2010

Wow. Even as a kid, I knew the whole "speaking in tongues" thing was a bunch of horseshit. It was always done by the people who needed attention, people who wanted to seem "special".

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2010

Hate her hair, too.

So there.

by Anonymousreply 808/02/2010

Didn't she try that holy Christian pop princess image first, failed and then did a complete image overhaul and then had her big success with "I kissed a girl"?

When she criticized Lady Gaga for the Christian themes used in her Alejandro video (= using Christian symbols in a mockery manner is as old as fart jokes) I was like "bitch, please! Like YOU have any credibility to speak up in that matter!"

by Anonymousreply 908/02/2010

She and Russell really belong together. Match made in *heaven*

by Anonymousreply 1008/02/2010

Somehow I can't see her and easy-going, fun-loving Brand staying together for long. I can see her getting bitchy and Jesusy on him after marriage. That's if it isn't another big old beard relationship.

by Anonymousreply 1108/02/2010

Yes--she started out as a "Christian artist." Whatever. I can totally see Snoop Dogg doing her, he'll do anything these days.

by Anonymousreply 1208/02/2010

Is a "speaking in tongues" church where they hold the rattle snakes to see if they'll get bitten by god or whatever? It sounds totally bizarre and alien to me.

by Anonymousreply 1308/02/2010

Sorry queens, but "speaking in tongues" is lesbanese braille.

by Anonymousreply 1408/02/2010

[quote]easy-going, fun-loving Brand

As if. His persona is as fake as Perry's is. Only if you're the kind of person that believes the Gagas, Reznors, and Marilyn Mansons of the world are real would you also fall for Brand's or Perry's act. Protip: Amanda Palmer is also fake, and Neil Gaiman is a closeted Scieno.

by Anonymousreply 1508/02/2010

If you haven't, you should read "Snow Crash". It mocks the whole 'speaking in tongues' thing in a sci-fi setting.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1608/02/2010

Yikes r15, bad night or something? %0D %0D Brand in interview: easy-going idiot: check%0D %0D Fun-loving: likes to play pranks: check.%0D %0D Erm, what am I doing wrong here Plato? If you want to believe a man who rang up Manuel from Fawlty Towers in a fit of giggles with Wossy to tell him he'd just had sex with his granddaughter is an uptight Mormon in disguise then by all means, go ahead. As a Brit we've all endured years of Brand's tomfoolery and it's for real. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1708/02/2010

Fakers don't speak in any "tongue"- just gibberish that a hillbilly would make up cuz they're too dumb. I think if we heard God talk it wouldn't be: bodaydaymasockolobodo!

by Anonymousreply 1808/02/2010

I second R17's observations about Brand. Like others, although I like her music (damnit!), I find her irritating, especially after the GaGa comment and her association with Perez Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 1908/02/2010

Bitch is lying -with her new and improved set of bolt on titties.

Note, both of Perez' hags have made it to the top, hmm.

BTW she is a tweeker, same as Gaga. Russ and she are in love ... with making more money with their showmance

by Anonymousreply 2008/02/2010

Who's his other hag, R20, Gaga?

by Anonymousreply 2108/02/2010

Morissey actually tried to talk her out of marrying Brand - according to Perry.

by Anonymousreply 2208/02/2010

Perry is incredibly smug and irritating.

She's also becoming a flabby, fat thin person. I know she likes to brag about being "milk fed," but she'd better be careful.

by Anonymousreply 2408/02/2010

You guys are daft. Don't you notice tongue in cheek comments when you see them? She's not a religious nutbag. I mean, have you ever heard any of her lyrics???

by Anonymousreply 2508/02/2010

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't "speaking in tongues" also include being miraculously understood even while babbling.

The charismatic churches always seem to forget that part.

by Anonymousreply 2608/02/2010

R25, tongue in cheek? That might be believable if she didn't have a Jesus tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 2708/02/2010

i find the very idea of Morrissey actually speaking to Katy Perry utterly unbelievable. in his prime he wouldn't have been caught dead anywhere near a dumb whore like Perry!

by Anonymousreply 2808/02/2010

"Hate her hair, too. So there."

That's not her hair, she has hair loss, she's always in different types of wigs.

by Anonymousreply 2908/02/2010

She's not Jewish? I understand she's the niece of edgy 1970s filmmakers Frank and Eleanor Perry. I'd always assumed they were Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 3008/02/2010

Her real name isn't Katy Perry, it's Katy Hudson.

by Anonymousreply 3208/02/2010

Her mother's maiden name is Perry.

by Anonymousreply 3308/02/2010

wow. now I really do hate everything about her.

by Anonymousreply 3408/02/2010

It's unbelievable, but even Russell Brand is too good for her.

by Anonymousreply 3508/02/2010

never thought I'd see Amanda Palmer mentioned on this board. dear god how I loathe that cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3608/02/2010

I always thought the people speaking in tongues were a little, um, imaginative with a touch of crazy.

The ones who interpret the messages from God, however, I believed to be full-blown, batshit loopy.

by Anonymousreply 3708/02/2010

who's amanda palmer?

by Anonymousreply 3808/02/2010

Lesbian backlash much, hmm? She was your lipstick heroine when she was singing about cherry chapped lips or whatever. Now because she's not letting her armpit hair grow and going to Michfest with her galpal- you're all hatin.

by Anonymousreply 3908/02/2010

I wouldn't doubt one day if she goes back to being a fundie and starts singing gospel.

by Anonymousreply 4008/02/2010

Lesbians never liked I Kissed A Girl, it's pure stripclub music. Anyway, I salute her bodacious tatas but I look forward to the inevitable epic meltdown of her relationship with Russell Brand. Or at least the sex tape

by Anonymousreply 4108/02/2010

What's wrong with Amanda Palmer?

by Anonymousreply 4208/02/2010

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2010

Lesbians never liked I Kissed A Girl, it's pure stripclub music. Anyway, I salute her bodacious tatas but I look forward to the inevitable epic meltdown of her relationship with Russell Brand. Or at least the sex tape%0D %0D That's so true, r41.

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2010

r39=Visitor from another planet

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2010

[quote]Katy Perry believes that all celebrities search online for stories about themselves. 'Any artist who says they don't Google their name is a big fat liar,' she said. In an interview with Rolling Stone, the singer told of trawling the web and finding comments she allegedly made about Miley Cyrus. She took to Twitter to make things right, posting, 'I never said shit bout my girl Miley. I love that ho.'It's a little gross,' the 25-year-old admitted. 'I'm sure no one knew or cared about that line about Miley. When you look at other celebrities' Twitter feeds and see them posting about something they read about themselves on a Google Alert, it's like, 'Uh, maybe you should stop Googling yourself every day, the world does not spin around you.'

[bold]That's right, it revolves around Katy Perry herself.[/quote]

by Anonymousreply 4608/04/2010

by Anonymousreply 4708/04/2010

by Anonymousreply 4808/04/2010

Her new single "Teenage Dream" from the album of the same name SUCKS. What an aweful song with no climax or anything interesting. I wonder how it made in onto an album with so much hype around it. Too bad cause I likeed kissed a gurl and hot and cold.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4908/04/2010

I've always wondered how much post production went into her MTV Unplugged special. There's clips of it on Youtube - her voice sounds good there, but it is one of the few examples of her singing without assistance (when she performs usually it's all lip synch.) [/bold]

by Anonymousreply 5008/04/2010

Jesus fucking christ, turn off the bold type, you fucking tard. and while you're at it, go back to ivillage, where they actually give a shit about the skank whore that is Katy Perry.

by Anonymousreply 5108/04/2010

Well, the bold type is off now, Mr. Anger Management.

And Katy Perry is a hypocrite and an idiot. Her parents make money off of speaking engagements where they discuss what a lost soul she and Russell Brand are. Christians sure pay big bucks for some shit entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 5208/04/2010

[quote]Lesbians never liked I Kissed A Girl...%0D %0D All the dykes I know loved it, actually.

by Anonymousreply 5308/04/2010

"Lesbian backlash much, hmm? She was your lipstick heroine when she was singing about cherry chapped lips or whatever. Now because she's not letting her armpit hair grow and going to Michfest with her galpal- you're all hatin."%0D %0D ----------------------------------------%0D %0D %0D %0D 1.) No lesbian liked her for it.%0D %0D 2.) No lesbian liked her for it.%0D %0D 3.) Fuck off, tard face.

by Anonymousreply 5408/04/2010

[quote]What's wrong with Amanda Palmer?

There's nothing wrong with Amanda Palmer. She's cool. There's just a major Amanda Palmer hater on the web these days, who's taken it upon himself/herself to diss Amanda at every opportunity.

And for the person asking who she is, she's a music artist and quite smart and talented. She's part of the musical duo, the Dresden Dolls. They do a style of music called Dark Cabaret. She also does solo work.

Amanda is currently engaged to the writer, Neil Gaiman. I think she wound up with so many haters because Neil's got a gazillion crazed fangurls who are in love with him.

by Anonymousreply 5508/04/2010

I keep getting her mixed up with Amanda Warner of the duo MNDR...who did the vocals on Mark Ronson's latest project.

by Anonymousreply 5608/04/2010

Chica seems more and more confused ... I mean, there's no coherent way to carve out a niche that's 50% Lady-Gaga-lite and 50% Amy Grant.

by Anonymousreply 5708/04/2010

Favorite story about Katy and her parents:

[quote]Rev Keith Hudson spoke about wife Mary%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s op from his pulpit and said the results were so good he%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s worried she will be mistaken for Katy%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s sister. He said: %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CMy daughter, little Katy Perry, bought my wife a facelift. Hallelujah! My Lord, does she look good. It is amazing what they can do. They took 25 years off her. I am serious - it%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5808/04/2010

So what. People in my family speak in tongues, they aren't making anyone else do it. Having a tattoo or belief in Jesus (which I have neither) doesn't always mean X or Y. Neither does not having those things make you a better person or X or Y, either.

by Anonymousreply 5908/04/2010

"People in my family speak in tongues, they aren't making anyone else do it."

However, those who do often have a way of making you feel really, really bad if you don't receive the same gift from the Holy Spirit.

by Anonymousreply 6008/05/2010

Rev Keith Hudson spoke about wife Marys op from his pulpit and said the results were so good hes worried she will be mistaken for Katys sister. He said: My daughter, little Katy Perry, bought my wife a facelift. Hallelujah! My Lord, does she look good. It is amazing what they can do. They took 25 years off her. I am serious - its amazing."%0D %0D %0D %0D Yeah isn't it amazing that suddenly science is the fundie's best friend when it's working for them!

by Anonymousreply 6108/05/2010

The only person that should be allowed to speak in tongues is Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 6208/05/2010

Unsurprising, R61. Religious people have a pick-and-choose mentality with EVERYTHING. Surely the Lord made her in his own image and set the human life span to be a certain length and for the body to change accordingly. Basically he's saying he doesn't approve of God's work. Hypocrite yet again.

by Anonymousreply 6308/05/2010

She's revolting and talentless. I can't wait for the her coke pants moment, cause I'm sure it's rapidly approaching.

by Anonymousreply 6408/05/2010

Katy Perry needs to leave the music business and become a fundie. She can not sing worth a crap.

by Anonymousreply 6508/06/2010

[quote]There's nothing wrong with Amanda Palmer. She's cool. There's just a major Amanda Palmer hater on the web these days, who's taken it upon himself/herself to diss Amanda at every opportunity.

Wow. Do you really believe that there is just one person going from webpage to webpage on a crusade against some "artist"?

There is a lot out there criticizing Amanda Palmer. Her "performance art" where she pretends to be disabled conjoined twins, or the time she made fun of disabled women and went on Australian television to make fun of disabled women AGAIN, her homophobic comments, the time she said Lady Gaga was "like the Klan" because of product placement in videos, or the song with the "SO HELP YOUR BLACK ASS" lyrics?

It's all on Google. There are thousands of comments about Palmer being racist, sexist, and homophobic, because it's kind of what she does to get attention. And you think one single person is writing all this? Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 6608/10/2010

I happened to catch Ms. Perry while watching a bit of the Teen Choice Awards last night. Before I realized who she was, i said to myself, This woman cannot sing a lick--and what is that dreadful song. Good God. Are teenagers that tone deaf?

by Anonymousreply 6708/10/2010

I try to like her but can't. Shes like the Jennifer Anniston of pop music. She won't go away.

by Anonymousreply 6808/10/2010

Whew. I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand her. I'm only familiar with that 'I Kissed a Girl' song which is meh and 'Hot n Cold'. I'm surprised the writers of Pink's 'U Ur Hand' didn't sue her for that one. %0D %0D She just doesn't seem like an exciting performer and the music is not very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 6908/10/2010

Bumping because Katy Perry is the musical guest tonight on SNL. I wonder if there will be a backing track accident like there was when Ashlee Simpson was on the show.

by Anonymousreply 7009/25/2010

TC has a clear as glass blind item about Russell Brand cheating on Katy left and right in big hotels all over, just a matter of time till the rumors start and worse, no prenup! WHY do str8 cheaters marry without prenups?

by Anonymousreply 7111/15/2010

Is there a thread on DL that DOESN'T mention Jennifer Aniston?

by Anonymousreply 7211/15/2010

She seems obsessed with selecting herself out as the "good girl pop star" while those evil hussies are taking all their clothes off.

In a new Entertainment Weekly interview, Perry remarks, "There's times when you see other people who, the only reason why they have success is because they're just shock jocks, which works for a period of time. I haven't really taken off all my clothes yet, so I still have that card to play if I want to. I think when you play that card first, then you're like [groans]. Yeah, I've done my fair share of 'naked on a cotton candy cloud' situation, but everything is with a wink. It's not like, 'Here's my vagina.' Rihanna has a fantastic body. Same with Miley – she's got an amazing body, and they get away with so much more stuff because it looks so great. Me, honestly, I've got cellulite. I'm just hiding it."

Other recent comments In another interview with NPR, she admitted she feels herself "becoming this inspiration out of default right now because it's such a strange world. Like females in pop - everybody's getting naked. I mean, I've been naked before but I don't like to feel like I have to always get naked to be noticed. But it's interesting to see. I'm not talking about anyone in particular. I'm talking about all of them. I mean, it's like everybody's so naked. It's like, 'put it away!' We know you've got it. I got it too. I've taken it off for - I've taken it out here and there. And I'm not necessarily judging."

Perry also recently told Le Grand Journal that she likes "all of my focus and attention to be on my music. I admire those ladies and I know that they're all doing their own thing in their own way. But for me, I want people to understand that I'm here to entertain them through music. And I don't necessarily like to abuse the attention of the viewer or the listener - not that I'm saying they do!"

by Anonymousreply 7311/01/2013

She's trying to talk out of both sides of her mouth. (Or whatever that expression is.)

by Anonymousreply 7411/01/2013

Good girl my ass. She drinks like a fish, does tons of drugs. Worst of all, she fucks John Mayer - douche extraordinaire.

by Anonymousreply 7511/01/2013

I don't get her appeal anymore. she has a nice voice, but her gig on SNL had me laughing and scratching my head. I could see the 40 and above set thinking shes great, but that's it.

by Anonymousreply 7611/01/2013

Over 600 million Christians speak on tongue or attend churches that believe in it. Moreover, it is a biblical practice that is part of not only the fastest and most dynamic segment of Christianity, but also the fastest major religious movement on the globe today. Charismatic and Pentecostal Christianity is solidly the mainstream of current Christianity, and is within every major denomination, including Roman Catholicism,Lutherans, and Anglicans.

by Anonymousreply 7711/01/2013

I wouldn't mind her so much if the bitch could sing. She was fucking AWFUL on Good a Morning America recently. Her success is completely fraudulent.

by Anonymousreply 7811/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!