Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Congratulations You''ve Won The Lottery!

Now you have a choice $52 Million annuity or $28 Million cash. What do you do? Who do you take care of and who do you ignore?

by Anonymousreply 10211/26/2012

Take the money now. A dollar now is worth more than a dollar in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 107/24/2010

What are the conditions surrounding the annuity and who is it coming from? A fifty-year annuity from a bankrupt state like California? No way. But a twenty-year annuity with 20 equal annual payments from the federal government? Yeah, I'd probably take the $52 million.

by Anonymousreply 207/24/2010

But it's guaranteed income you can't blow.

by Anonymousreply 307/24/2010

Well, to start with--free Datalounge renewals for all active members. What's $1800 to a millionaire?

by Anonymousreply 407/24/2010

I'd take the cash - I'm 61.

by Anonymousreply 507/24/2010

I would on up to the East Side, to a deeeeluxe apartment in the sky.

by Anonymousreply 607/24/2010

annuity

by Anonymousreply 707/24/2010

I'd take the cash and invest it at a better rate.

by Anonymousreply 807/24/2010

Take the cash.

Pay off all debt, give nice annual gifts to family members, start a minimal little business, stuff as much as is legally allowed into a 401(k) and a self-employed defined benefit plan.

Hire manager for business, preferably family member who isn't too incompetent, too ambitious or greedy, or is about to retire and is unprepared to do so. Pay them a nice salary to keep the business afloat. Invest everything conservatively. Live somewhere nice and do something pleasant and creative for the rest of your days.

by Anonymousreply 907/24/2010

Take it now in one lump sum. I would MOVE, buy a new car, put some money away. And give 50% to charity.

by Anonymousreply 1007/24/2010

Take the cash now because taxes are going to go up.

(I know I sound like a Republican saying that, but fuck it, we're talking $28 Million.)

by Anonymousreply 1107/24/2010

Cash it in, help family, disappear for a while, travel, and settle down somewhere nice to enjoy life.

by Anonymousreply 1207/24/2010

Cash now. Bond-ladder half the after-tax portion, get a bigger apartment with outdoor space, get a beach condo, give cash gifts to friends. I would keep my job. My estate would include endowment gifts to my schools and gay-senior/gay-youth services. Though I've thought about it a lot, I am not sure what I would do about family.

by Anonymousreply 1307/24/2010

Cash now. Use a multimillionaire family friend's very trust money manager to invest in both conservative vehicles (e.g. muni bonds) and throw a few mil at a hedge fund for some risky business. Pay off all debt, obviously, and start a fund to put both of my nephews through college and grad school. Take my mom all the places she's wanted to see around the world while she's still able to easily travel (probably ten years or so). Donate generously to multiple charitable and arts organizations, as well as political campaigns.

by Anonymousreply 1407/24/2010

I'd take a small fraction of that to make off my debts, help family and friends, work part-time and take long holidays. And no, I did not win the lotto - when will I? I am a scorpio - we are having shitty luck at the moment...

by Anonymousreply 1507/24/2010

Take the cash. Immediately give 5% away to charity. Each family member gets a one time payment of $250K. That leaves me with about $26M. Of that remaining, take 3/4 of it and immediately invest, mostly aggressive with a couple of safe bets. Use the remaining $6M to set up the life I want--houses, cars, etc. The interest from the $20M I invested goes back into the largess to establish a foundation that gives money to LGBT organizations.

Yeah, I've thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 1607/24/2010

Same as R12. Plus I'd also give some to some friends and give some to try to help some people. And get some clothes.

by Anonymousreply 1707/24/2010

oh fuck you R10. you wouldn't give 50 percent to charity. why do you say some bullshit like that to try and impress a bunch of faceless strangers.

jus be honest bitch... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm k

by Anonymousreply 1807/24/2010

Definitely take the money now...what if you take the annuity and you die in three or four years?? All that money is GONE. %0D %0D At least you can will it to someone if you take the lump sum and you die.

by Anonymousreply 1907/24/2010

r16, when will you pay taxes?

by Anonymousreply 2007/24/2010

take the 28 million right now.

20 million gets invested in a combo of real estate/stocks/safe funds. 1 million goes to fund/expand my business. 2 million to start a non-profit pet rescue foundation. 3 million gets divided amongst my family (and friends who i consider family), and the final 2 million stays liquid to blow however i like- hookers, earrings, caftans- whatever strikes my fancy.

by Anonymousreply 2107/24/2010

r20, it's 28 million AFTER taxes.

by Anonymousreply 2207/24/2010

Take the money now.%0D %0D Change my phone number.%0D %0D Not in that order.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2307/24/2010

[quote]Take the cash. Immediately give 5% away to charity. Each family member gets a one time payment of $250K. That leaves me with about $26M.

Um, no, that leaves you with about $15 million since you're well into the 38% upper tax bracket.

by Anonymousreply 2407/24/2010

They withhold the taxes when they give it to you, stupid.%0D %0D I think you are all being quite hasty. It is a danger to you and you cannot trust these professionals you would leave it with, can you? The lawyer you hire to advise you could steal it. The banker you go to for deposit purposes....and it's not insured at that level. These investments you make could be scams.%0D You are truly entering a world where you can trust nobody because all these "professionals" will be sorely tempted to rob you. Your lottery may have come in, but you may be theirs.%0D %0D The first thing I would do is mail a book showing the biblical case FOR homosexual marriage to every registered voter in Iowa.%0D %0D Next I would start a progressive magazine that frames economic issues in a different way than any of the current ones.

by Anonymousreply 2507/24/2010

I'd take the money now, then. Have an attorney work all the paperwork as soon as possible. I'd put $500,000 in account, pay off my and my parents' mortgages and instruct my professionals to only allow me $500,000 more after 3 months. I'd turn off all my phones, put a note on my social network profiles, shut down my house and take a luxurious trip to an undisclosed ex-US location to ward off freeloaders and scam artists. I'd plan my money and allocate everything remotely, and have all of the money spoken for in ironclad trusts before I returned home.

by Anonymousreply 2607/24/2010

Or better yet buy the Advocate and replace the editorial staff with talented progressives.

by Anonymousreply 2707/24/2010

Pay off all debt. Set up some kind of trust that would allow my immediate family to upgrade their lives. Grab my passport and go.

by Anonymousreply 2807/24/2010

R24, the lump sum payment from the lottery is always the after tax payment.

by Anonymousreply 2907/24/2010

Probably take the cash, pay off the mortages on my house and those of my siblings, put aside money for the nieces and nephews to travel or pay for college, continue to support a few charities that I currently do, and tell my boss to shove her job up her arse.

by Anonymousreply 3007/24/2010

Move to another country...

by Anonymousreply 3107/24/2010

I would give half to my parents, and have them be my financial advisors. They are smarter with money than I am

by Anonymousreply 3207/24/2010

I'd want to do as R31. So let me ask. If you win a large lottery in the USA and move to say Italy or France or even Canada, do you still have to pay taxes in the US and the state and city tax out of it for where you live and in addition pay tax in your new country?%0D %0D If willingly give up your US citizenship, do you still have to pay US taxes if the answer to the above is yes?

by Anonymousreply 3307/24/2010

mhb must be off her meds again

by Anonymousreply 3407/24/2010

Do... move and become my dream.

Take care of my mother.

Ignore every one else.

by Anonymousreply 3507/24/2010

Is an annuity subject to probate?

by Anonymousreply 3707/24/2010

[quote]But a twenty-year annuity with 20 equal annual payments from the federal government?

There is no federal lottery.

[quote]Each family member gets a one time payment of $250K.

Which is then subject to gift taxes. Not the right way to structure it.

[quote]it's 28 million AFTER taxes

No. Lump sums are quoted in pre-tax amounts.

[quote]the lump sum payment from the lottery is always the after tax payment.

No again.

by Anonymousreply 3807/24/2010

[quote]The first thing I would do is mail a book showing the biblical case FOR homosexual marriage to every registered voter in Iowa.

Don't do that. We don't like people mailing us unsolicited shit even if we do agree with it. Especially not religious-oriented unsolicited shit. So tacky. And ultimately counterproductive in Iowa. We don't like pandering or in-your-face intrusions, hence Mitt Romney's campaign going over like a lead balloon in the last caucus.

by Anonymousreply 3907/24/2010

I'd go on a 6 month bender.

by Anonymousreply 4007/24/2010

[quote]Then I would claim the $28 million cash prize using the blind trust. This way they cannot publicize my name.

That isn't allowed. They require your real name to be used for any promotional purpose they please as an inescapable condition of accepting the money. Hopefully, you have a very, very common name or were already off the radar (pretty much impossible these days). Your name would absolutely get out, if you want to accept the money, so add to your cost considerations a huge umbrella insurance policy and a lawyer on retainer for the inevitable frivolous lawsuits most lottery winners have to field for a least the first couple years.

by Anonymousreply 4107/24/2010

Cash.

I'd take care of my mom first. Then my oldest sister. I have another sister and two brothers who can go to hell. I know my mom would pressure me to give them a share and that would be a problem. My other sister is(Julie) a lazy fucking cunt and I despise her. She's 54 years old, has never worked in 30 years, is about five feet nothing and weighs over 300 pounds. She lives with my mom and for the life of me I don't get why my mom enables her.

My oldest sister's been through a lot this year and I'd be sure to take care of her and her surviving son. Her older boy killed himself in March of this year and we're devastated.

I have some dear friends from a job I was at last year and I'd take care of them.

Besides quitting my job I'd then just take a deep breath and figure out what I'd do for the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 4207/24/2010

There's a poster at the other site who won the lottery. Ask him what he did.

by Anonymousreply 4307/24/2010

r41, couldn't I change my name after I receive the money? There has to be a way to have relative anonymity. I would not want anyone to know I won.

by Anonymousreply 4407/24/2010

r42, you have to take into consideration that your mother would probably give your lazy sister money anyway because you saw she's an enabler.

by Anonymousreply 4507/24/2010

There is something about R36's post that makes me hope he really does win the lottery.

by Anonymousreply 4607/24/2010

Take the $28M.%0D %0D Secure financial and legal advice.%0D %0D Make a few gifts of $50,000 to friends.%0D %0D Become an ex-pat.%0D %0D Buy: a country house ($4M); a city apartment ($2M); some paintings & furnishings ($4M).%0D %0D Set up modest annual charitable donations and provide for my estate to be divided among them at my death.%0D %0D Live quietly.%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4707/25/2010

I thought this all out during the two weeks that I played the lottery (I gave up because I hate paying out good money for nothing in return.) At that time there was a game in my state that you could play with the potential of winning millions plus the option of keeping your identity a secret. My plan was to take the lump sum, put it in a savings account at my credit union, and tell no one. I estimated I'd need to net three million dollars in order to have enough money after taxes to be financially independent, so if I cleared that much in the lotto, I'd give a month's notice at my job and just live quietly the rest of my life and let people think I was on disability.

by Anonymousreply 4807/25/2010

About the anonymity, Mega Millions requires your name and face but Power Ball, I didn't think it was required. I live in DC and we had a winner for the first time in forever. The winner(s) remain unknown and the money was accepted by some financial services company. I don't know about individual state lotteries.

by Anonymousreply 4907/25/2010

[quote]Mega Millions requires your name and face but Power Ball, I didn't think it was required.

I've read that this varies by State. Some states allow you to claim anonymously, and some take the view that it should be a matter of public record since it is a Government function.

You have 6 months or year to claim the prize. There was a case in Illinois years ago where the couple won, didn't tell a soul, quietly quit their jobs, sold the house, said their goodbyes, and dropped the ticket off at the Lottery Office with instruction on where to send the check on their way out of the State. They had about 30 days left before the ticket expired.

by Anonymousreply 5007/25/2010

[quote]That isn't allowed. They require your real name to be used for any promotional purpose they please as an inescapable condition of accepting the money.

No. It depends on the jurisdiction.

"On February 28, 2006 the $270 million dollar Jackpot was won by a ticket purchased in Ohio. The ticket was claimed anonymously under the name of the M & H Blind Trust. The winner elected to receive the lump sum and was paid $158.8 million."

by Anonymousreply 5107/25/2010

my possum stinks

by Anonymousreply 5207/25/2010

I'd take the cash. I'd buy a house on Sauble Beach for me, a house for my parents (their choice), pay off my depts, Give a bit to my brother (not sure how much), invest, and spend the rest of my days painting.

by Anonymousreply 5307/25/2010

Take the money, ignore every other human being on the planet, open a no-kill animal/wildlife shelter and buy the biggest fuckin' TV on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 5407/25/2010

I'd retain a lawyer and some good accountants and set up a trust to accept the money anonymously if possible, and try to keep it as secret as possible.

Then I'd go about figuring out the best way to reduce taxes, including charitable donations and, if possible, setting up inflation-adjusted charitable annuity trusts from multiple charities for each relative. Meaning, for example, my niece could be getting a lump sum of (tax-free?) cash from a few different charities each year for the rest of her life, the amount would increase each year, but the charities hold on to the principal and put it to use. I don't want to give (or leave) any relatives a huge amount of money all at once because that seems to cause more problems than it solves, but giving a steady, predictable stream of money from a few different sources while benefiting charity is a good compromise to me.

After the taxes and the charitable trusts are figured out, I'd make some very diversified and conservative investments with most of the remainder, and use a chunk of money to just go crazy: quit my job, travel wherever, throw out most of my stupid shit and buy new, even stupider shit, etc.

by Anonymousreply 5507/25/2010

[quote]Take the money, ignore every other human being on the planet, open a no-kill animal/wildlife shelter and buy the biggest fuckin' TV on the planet.

My therapist has an opening on Thursday night from 7 - 8.

Run, don't walk.

by Anonymousreply 5607/25/2010

I know if you give someone $100,000 they have to pay taxes on it. But if you pay off their mortgage, and credit bills, is that OK?

by Anonymousreply 5707/25/2010

Lump sum; I'm 47, that kind of money would last me the rest of my life. I might play around with investing a very small amount of it just for shits and giggles, but I'd feel safer if it were just sitting in the bank. %0D %0D I would buy a piece of rural land so big I couldn't see the end of it on the horizon. Perhaps several, with huge lakes. Keep them pristine as sort of wildlife sanctuaries.%0D %0D I hate valuables and trinkets. I'm not buying paintings, jewelry and cars.%0D %0D I'd like to help poor people achieve positive things, because I've been very poor at times and know what a difference a couple hundred dollars can do when you have zero. Something as simple as an outfit to go to an interview in, or the money to take some classes.%0D %0D I'd definitely have a will, because I'd want to travel and I could go down in a plane or something.

by Anonymousreply 5807/25/2010

I'd take the cash, change my identity and relocate. Poof!

by Anonymousreply 5907/25/2010

Cash please!

Willingly care for: Mother, Step-Father, nieces

Begrudgingly care for: Brother, Step-brother

Can go rot: Father, Step-sister

by Anonymousreply 6007/25/2010

You gotta take the cash... God knows if the state will declare bankruptcy over the next 30 years!! Mary!!

by Anonymousreply 6107/25/2010

A great tax attorney and wealth manager can effectually maneuver all the tax issues that could possibly arise.

If you didn't live in New York already I'd suggest you'd take a trip there and start consulting with major money handlers who've been in the game of protecting millionaires' assets for many years.

Don't let them actually have access to your money but just let them advise you on what to do with it. NEVER give anyone access to your accounts, not even family.

by Anonymousreply 6207/25/2010

[quote]you have to take into consideration that your mother would probably give your lazy sister money anyway because you saw she's an enabler%0D %0D I have, R45. I suppose it's like taxes, we can't say how the govt. uses our tax money but we have to pay them anyway. Big fat IF I were to win I'd address it then.

by Anonymousreply 6307/25/2010

[quote]If you didn't live in New York already I'd suggest you'd take a trip there and start consulting with major money handlers who've been in the game of protecting millionaires' assets for many years. %0D %0D As if all 8 million U.S. millionaires (or one million people in the U.S. with more than $5M) live in NYC, or that that outside NYC "major money handlers" work part-time to augment their real jobs banjo-pickin' on the front porches of tumble-down shacks.

by Anonymousreply 6407/25/2010

An attorney I worked with once told me a blind trust is the way to go if you come into money.

by Anonymousreply 6507/25/2010

[quote]I know if you give someone $100,000 they have to pay taxes on it. But if you pay off their mortgage, and credit bills, is that OK?

Nope. The person who gifted the money has to pay the taxes, if the amount is over $13,000 in 2009.

by Anonymousreply 6607/25/2010

If you've never had money and never had any experience hiring lawyers, accountants, money managers, etc. how do you find ones that won't rip you off? I mean they will know the second they speak with you that you know nothing about finance and that you are an easy mark. These days with all the crooks out there in all these professions I'd be scared to death to even tell any of these people I have a winning ticket.%0D %0D I heard the first thing you do is sign the back of the ticket and then cash it in for either the lump sum or the annuity and then once the money is yours and no one can take the ticket or even kill you for it then you try to find the lawyers and such. %0D %0D Is this true or are you screwed if you turn in the ticket without first getting the lawyers and accountants to tell you what to do.%0D %0D I mean I should only have that problem and actually be a big winner but honestly, if I was I'm so ignorant on money matters or how to find honest people I'd be scared to death to trust anyone.%0D %0D I have no family and only have one friend that is struggling almost as much as I am and that's the only person I'd want to give a million or two, but I'd want to do it in such a way that I could pay the taxes so he would get the full amount I want him to have. %0D %0D Except for that all I want is a little home somewhere in the country where I could have a vegetable and fruit garden and a few chickens for pastured eggs and one dairy cow. I'd need someone to tend them for me since I'm a city person and maybe a car, a safe one, not a showy one and that's about it. Oh and the fortune I'd have to pay for medical insurance since I have many preexisting conditions. I'd set up will to leave most of it to my one and only friend and to some animal charities and to some homeless charities. I'm in my 50s so I guess I'd do better to take the lump sum. I'm not in good shape so I don't think I'd have too many years to enjoy it. My friend is reasonably healthy but no spring chicken either. %0D %0D I think I'd most like to move to someplace in Europe. I can't take what this country has become. I guess if you take the lump sum once you pay the tax on it if you move to another country and become a citizen of that country you no longer have to pay taxes in the US. I'd rather pay more tax in a country that actually uses that tax to help the poor. I don't mind paying taxes that go to social programs but not to corporate welfare and the war mongers.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6707/25/2010

Cool story, bro.

by Anonymousreply 6807/25/2010

One of the advantages of living in Canada is lottery winnings are tax-exempt! But, I don't think you can claim your winnings anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 6907/25/2010

OMG, everything is better in Canada. I wish I had been born and raised there and still lived there. %0D %0D How is it that one country, Canada, does everthing to help it's people and another, the USA does everything to hurt all but the top 1 or 2 %.%0D %0D Fuck! I wish I had the means to move to Canada. I'd be proud to become a citizen of that country.%0D %0D I'll bet you even have labels telling you which of your foods are GE franknfoods.

by Anonymousreply 7007/25/2010

I would give some to my family, then I would donate a bit to charity.

Start a business (not sure what kind, I would love to open a cafe somewhere). Buy a great huge house with a few pools and killer view.

Vacation, vacation and more vacations.

Also, I really want to get a Porsche. I've been seriously thinking about buying one for months but I can't seem to rationalize the expense (I already have a great car) - so I would buy one for sure, if I won the lotto.

by Anonymousreply 7107/26/2010

I'd take the cash. I think financial experts recommend taking the cash if you win the lottery. At least, that's what I remember from all those "I won the lottery and it fucked up my life" shows.

First, I'd set up a trust to receive the money (again, I saw that on the lottery shows). Then I'd pay off all my bills. Pay off my best friend's bills. Give my sister and brother some money. Pay off my dad's house, set him up with an allowance. Set up my two half-sisters with an allowance, too. Give my ex some money.

After everyone is taken care of, I keep my job for at least a few months. Experts recommend you don't make any major changes for three months after you win. I'd buy a big house with a basketball court and a trampoline room. After that, I don't know. Find someone special to share it with. Finish my PhD. Live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 7207/26/2010

Of course, I would seek expert advice before collecting my winnings. My state doesn't have a lottery but we do have casinos. When people win big jackpots, like Megabucks, they can remain anonymous. The biggest Megabucks payout was $63 mil or something like that. The woman was a cocktail waitress who was playing slots one night and bam! She hit it big. A few months later, she was sitting at a red light in her dream car, which she bought with her lottery winnings, when a drunk driver drove over her in his giant truck. She was paralyzed. I think her boyfriend/husband was killed, don't recall.

by Anonymousreply 7307/26/2010

I'd take the cash but tell all my friends that I took the annuity. That'll keep them from putting their hands out too much. Then I'd split it up into many, many federally insured accounts bearing at least 5% interest and protect it from future bank failings. The I would give about 20 of my friends $13,000 each avoiding the gift tax issues, and tell them that will happen every year, and that'll keep them polite to me. And loyal, (as you see I have had trust issues arise in the past.)

Buy a good winter home (not too big, don't want to attract too much attention,) and a nice but smaller summer home and a really good car. Travel for six months. Hire a friend to look after my home and animals.

Then I would live off the interest. Say, keep 25 million at five percent interest would yield, $1,250,000 a year. The other money left over after the gifts and houses and cars and vacations deducted from the 3 million not set aside, I would immediately donate to charities. Anonymously.

by Anonymousreply 7407/26/2010

r39, it's because of idiots like you that I would need to do it. I guarantee you there are not 100 people in iowa who know what the bible really says about gay people, and the fact that you aren't even willing to address these people is why they will kick your ass in every election.

by Anonymousreply 7507/26/2010

R39 is living in reality; no one reads that shit that gets mailed. IF junk gets sent to me, I dump it in the garbage, like the vast majority of people.

by Anonymousreply 7607/26/2010

I just got $1 million in inheritance. I'd rather have my parents alive and healthy.

by Anonymousreply 7707/26/2010

I used to think I'd take care of my family right away, but then after thinking about it, realized they wouldn't do the same for me. So fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 7807/26/2010

There's so little I want, such a windfall would be wasted on me.

I'd sure enjoy the security of knowing there's money in the bank if I did want something, though.

I think I might buy a lot, hire an architect to design a small, efficient house, and have it built. I'd enjoy landscaping the back lawn area into a place appropriate for candlelight suppers, and if I were fortunate enough to find a lot with a creek running through, riparian entertainments.

by Anonymousreply 7907/26/2010

These people live in Iowa. They have nothing better to do than read their junk mail.

by Anonymousreply 8007/26/2010

r79, I will bet that you already live a wealthy life. You have a great attitude.

by Anonymousreply 8107/26/2010

R79, they have already desinged your dream house for you. Think of how many of these you could buy with your windfall.

by Anonymousreply 8207/27/2010

The first thing I would do after receiving my check would be to buy a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. Preferably in fire engine red . I would then delight in driving it through inner city neighborhoods while pointing and laughing at all the poor people.

by Anonymousreply 8307/27/2010

[quote]it's because of idiots like you that I would need to do it. I guarantee you there are not 100 people in iowa who know what the bible really says about gay people

Right, because you're the expert on what people in Iowa know, r75. Be sure to include a statement of such in your mailings. Iowans love to be called idiots and to have out of state people barge in and assume the worst about us while lecturing. That's how you win hearts and minds. Lead with condescension, then spice it up with some religious junk mail. And if anyone suggests this is counterproductive, lash out while insulting the entire population of the state. Flawless strategy.

by Anonymousreply 8407/27/2010

(1) I'd take $28 million.

(2) I'd find ethical, expert financial consultants and set up monthly budget and stipend and investment plans.

(3) I'd take care of my two brothers', mother's, and my major bills, e.g. mortgage, student loans, credit cards, and car payments. I'd also pay for some renovations to Mom's house.

(4) I'd travel for a bit. A chunk of money would be set aside so I could visit places I've always wanted to. Financial advisor would devise and set up budget that would allow pleasurable but not overly extravagant traveling around the world.

(5) I'd go back to law school in August 2011 and find a nice but not too extravagant house, apartment, condo, or whatever in that city. Said dwelling would be as green as possible.

(6) I'd buy an environmentally friendly car.

(7) I'd buy a stylish, green wardrobe. It wouldn't be over the top or anything.

(8) Above all, I'd learn how to handle money and guarantee that I could live comfortably for the rest of my life and take care of Mom. This would enable me to practice the kind of law I want without stressing about bills. Money would be a tool to help people and change lives.

by Anonymousreply 8507/27/2010

In the UK lottery winnings are tax exempt and you can claim your winnings anonymously.

I don't have any debts, or any really close family so I'd take the cash and use it to support all those causes I've wanted to help for years.

by Anonymousreply 8607/27/2010

R84=reason why gay rights have not advanced materially since 1977. If you aren't willing to bother people, nobody will ever take you seriously. I can't take you seriously, you're just a loser with a capital 'L'.

by Anonymousreply 8707/29/2010

Isn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t a blind trust something where you can%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t control your own money? No thank you.

What about Incorporation?

Why aren%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t taxes mentioned more? Are we assuming 28 million is after taxes? Because 52 million would be closer to 18 million lump sum after taxes.

Oh, name and picture doesn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t matter. Most people share your name and you can wear a burka and they can%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t do anything about it. I wonder if you can say photographing yourself is against your religion.

by Anonymousreply 8807/29/2010

I'm with R88.%0D %0D Usually how it works:%0D %0D If annuity (standard win) is $52m, then lump sum is a bit over 50% of that (I don't know why, but it seems that lump sum is more like 54%.)%0D %0D THEN you take your lump sum of $28m and owe the taxes on that. By taking a lump sum payment, you are agreeing to take a smaller payment. They don't just take the taxes and hand it to you. 28m is what you won today; if you leave it with them, it accrues to 52m over the years, they figure.

by Anonymousreply 8907/29/2010

[quote]Most people share your name%0D %0D What makes you say that, r88?

by Anonymousreply 9007/29/2010

r87, if you're going to agree with yourself while insulting me, at least do it from a different IP so all of your posts don't go yellow when I click the troll-dar.

by Anonymousreply 9107/29/2010

For R25 & R75: A link to a thread you may find interesting (or then again...)%0D %0D More than people hate junk mail -- much, much more -- religious people resent outsiders trying to disaude them of their beliefs. Facts don't count for much generally, and least of all when it comes to faith and belief, not even "facts" of the Bible.

by Anonymousreply 9207/30/2010

Winning the lottery is something that I've not only thought about but researched on how my state handles winners. So here's my spending.%0D %0D 1.Seek out the best accounting firm and hire the Sr. partner, same for the law firm. I figure these guys are already racking in doe so my chances of a rip off lessen. %0D %0D 2. I have a couple of friends that have had my back so it would now be my turn to help them. As to how much well, that would be determined after I find out the tax cost on my end.%0D %0D 3.Keep my job until the money is in my account and all is well. From my research I figure I would be working for at least 2 to 3 months. Why so long? After winning I would not tell a soul. I would give myself time to get use to the idea and then put my financial team together. I think it takes about 3 to 4 weeks before any money is given and then I would give 2 weeks notice to my job.%0D %0D I've thought about moving but can't make up my mind where so until I do I would continue to live in my 495 sq condo and redecorate. Travel yes, go back to school for fun not a degree, and enjoy the rest of my life however long that may be. %0D %0D one last thing because I do not trust banks I would always have a stash hidden somewhere for backup. Yes cash.

by Anonymousreply 9307/30/2010

yum

by Anonymousreply 9411/24/2012

Pucker up the 28th is the night.

by Anonymousreply 9511/26/2012

Anyone who choses the annuity is too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 9611/26/2012

I'd take the annuity. It's a guarantted fixed income no matter what happens. This is the worst time to go into a roller coaster market. Or any other double-your-money investments. Or worse, schemes. I could live comfortably on my annuity and not have to worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 9711/26/2012

Ms. Frugal, build a house for a couple hundred grand and you could live in Spain and not have to worry about the idiots here.

by Anonymousreply 9811/26/2012

Hookers, pizza, and beer!!!

by Anonymousreply 9911/26/2012

I'd take the cash, buy whatever I wanted but didn't have, then invest the rest.

by Anonymousreply 10011/26/2012

To add, I'd take the cash, maybe have $15 million after taxes, which can yield about $300k a year in income, and I could use that extra money touching the principal.

Never touch the principal, they say.

by Anonymousreply 10111/26/2012

Why are you idiots talking about Iowa!? They already legalized same sex marriage in Iowa. It was the second state to do so. They have plenty of fundies, but they also lead the nation in marriage equality.

by Anonymousreply 10211/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.