Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Question about showing valid ID at the airport

I rarely travel and I'm flying to LA in the morning. My drivers license expired last week and I'm planning on going to the DMV next week.

I don't have a car, so I haven't been in a rush to get it renewed. I just realized I'm going to have an expired license to show at the airport when I pick up my ticket tomorrow. I didn't even think about it until now.

I work for the government and have a govt ID with a photo. Will that be enough? Any airline employees out there that can help me answer my question?

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2010

Govt id will be fine

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2010

r1 - even if it's not federal? I work for a county government agency.

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2010

In that case prepare to be strip-searched, finger-raped and put on a no-fly list.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2010

OP, do you have a valid passport?

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2010

you in danger girl

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2010

I think you'll be okay - they are checking to see that you are the same person who was issued the ticket. Not sure they are scrutinzing whether or not you've renewed your license.

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2010

r4 - unfortunately, my passport expired in March.

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2010

OP, you might want to consider calling to see if ID needs to be valid.

I did a search and there doesn't seem to be a consensus. It seems that it depends on whether or not the security person is in a good mood that day.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2010

OP, you will not have any trouble at all. They do not check to see if your drivers license is expired nor if your state issued id is expired (if you are a non-driver)%0D %0D Just hand over your drivers license and don't say anything. They do not scrutinize the date on it.%0D %0D They just care that your photo on your drivers license matches your face.%0D %0D Do not get out your work/govt id.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2010

I've had my driver's license checked to see if it was expired at the airport (it has a renewal sticker on the back).

The TSA website is pretty clear:

[quote] "Effective June 21, 2008, adult passengers (18 and over) are required to show a U.S. federal or state-issued photo ID that contains the following: name, date of birth, gender, expiration date and a tamper-resistant feature in order to be allowed to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight.

The list of other valid I-Ds is pretty narrow.

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2010

I called the airlines and found out I can use my government ID. Yay!

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2010

This was my recurring nightmare until I had my passport renewed.

Hope you get through, OP, good luck. If not, get that passport renewed ASAP. It lasts ten years.

p.s. to NYC folks %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%93 go to the Express center for DL renewal at 34th street. It took me 20 minutes on lunch hour.

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2010

They spend one second looking at the photo on your drivers license - never longer than one second - they are looking at the photo, not the expiration date.%0D %0D Even the TSA statement posted by R10 does not say it must not be expired.%0D %0D Do not worry. Just hand it over and they will hand it back in one second.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1307/22/2010

"to go through the checkpoint and onto their flight"

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1407/22/2010

Yes, but they say "valid" ID, and yours is expired, so how can it be valid?

by Anonymousreply 1507/22/2010

it doesn't say valid in what R10 posted%0D %0D I've used an expired license tons of times - they look at it for less than one second and hand it back.

by Anonymousreply 1607/22/2010

Have your mom come with you an vouch for your identity.

by Anonymousreply 1707/22/2010

[quote]p.s. to NYC folks " go to the Express center for DL renewal at 34th street. It took me 20 minutes on lunch hour.

We can renew DL subscription in person?

by Anonymousreply 1807/22/2010

R17, I'll excuse your misspelling if only because that made me smile.

by Anonymousreply 1907/22/2010

You're Driver's License, R18, you know what the thread is about. Unless you're making the same kind of joke you probably make about Defensive Linemen on the Down Low.

Another wit formed in the Datalounge matrix.

by Anonymousreply 2007/22/2010

You will be fine, OP. I flew with an expired state ID (it expired a couple of days before I flew) and I was fine. I also lost my wallet once (in 2008) and flew with a college ID from 2002 and my social security card.

They MIGHT perform an extra search, but I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2010

You can fly within the US with a recently expired passport as well, or at least, you used to be able to - I've had to do that.

by Anonymousreply 2207/22/2010

Expired driver's license. Check.

Expired passport. Check.

County government employee. Check.

And you wonder.

by Anonymousreply 2307/22/2010

"You're Driver's License,"

Rhymes with "low tier".

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2010

[quote] I think you'll be okay - they are checking to see that you are the same person who was issued the ticket. Not sure they are scrutinzing whether or not you've renewed your license.

I was behind an elderly couple at the Newark airport back in April. The man's DL had expired and the older, gruff TSA agent gave him a hard time but eventually let him through. But this agent was busting everyone's balls over one thing or another.

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2010

I've flown domestic with an expired license. The TSA, who quickly noticed the fact that it was expired BTW, told me that it wasn't really a problem within a year of expiration. After that I could be denied.

by Anonymousreply 2607/22/2010

so what happened OP?

by Anonymousreply 2707/25/2010

He can't hear you, R27. He's now the newest resident in GITMO.

by Anonymousreply 2807/25/2010

I used my expired drivers license and my government ID and it was no problem at all. I'm relieved it worked out and I had a good trip.

by Anonymousreply 2907/25/2010
Need more help? Click Here.