Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why do classic radio stations only play the same 5 songs from every band.

Yes, I understand the concept of singles but it's been 50 years, the Rolling Stones have way better songs than Satisfaction. It seems like the bands could reach bigger audiences and sell more records.

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013

"Sell more records"?%0D %0D Can you seriously remember the last time anyone sold a record, OP?%0D %0D It HAS been 50 years.%0D

by Anonymousreply 107/22/2010

Agreed,OP. I could live without ever hearing Foxy Lady again.

by Anonymousreply 207/22/2010

Most radio stations are owned by corporations, Clear Channel and the like, and the corporations lay down the format and the rigid, boring setlist, developed according to what focus groups decree people want to hear. It's pretty much an American tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 307/22/2010

It's called classic, not random songs by famous people.

by Anonymousreply 407/22/2010

Don't most commercial radio stations have tight playlists?

by Anonymousreply 507/22/2010

The oldies station where I live (Richmond, VA) plays music from the sixties and seventies. It would be nice if they added music from the fifties to the mix. %0D %0D They do tend to play the same songs over and over. I'm sick of hearing "I Can Dream About You" from that awful movie "Streets of Fire." I'm sick of hearing "Upside Down" by Diana Ross. I'm sick of hearing "Mr. Bojangles" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band" and "Piano Man" by Billy Joel. There is such a variety of music that could be played but it's the same ones over and over.%0D %0D Worst of all, that radio station seems to play a song by the Beach Boys and Chicago every hour! I never much liked the Beach Boys and Chicago sucked.

by Anonymousreply 607/22/2010

Have you ever called or written them, r6?

by Anonymousreply 707/22/2010

Just don't get me started on "classic" stations that don't play full versions of the songs.

by Anonymousreply 807/22/2010

I agree. It's so annoying and has been going on for years. It shows such lack of imagination.%0D %0D In the 80s when I lived in NY, it was always Baby Love, The Same Old Song (!), one or two songs by The Young Rascals, Shout...maybe it's now 80s music that are played on oldies stations, but I gave up listening a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 907/22/2010

It's so true. Exactly as R3 said.

The only way to hear more interesting playlists (on FM radio) is to hope that some college kid way on the left side of the dial might have an interest in old-school rock or soul/r&b.

by Anonymousreply 1007/22/2010

This is why god invented Slacker, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 1107/22/2010

In their defense, the new songs coming out these days are just garbage tunes. Where have all the good songwriters gone???

by Anonymousreply 1207/22/2010

Whatever station the radio in my gym is tuned to--it's some Sirius channel--plays "Nights In White Satin" over and over again.

What an awful, vile piece of junk that is....

by Anonymousreply 1307/22/2010

Have you ever called or written them, R6?%0D %0D No, I haven't. I suppose I could but I don't know if it would do any good. I should give it a try, though.%0D %0D That station I mentioned plays music from the sixties and seventies, but their playlist is so very limited! They almost never play any music by the Carpenters, one of the biggest musical acts of the seventies! I've always wondered why that was. They never play anything by Melanie or Phoebe Snow; they hardly play anything from the British Invasion and that includes the Beatles! They play music by the wretched Chicago a lot more than they play music by the Beatles.%0D %0D Oh yeah, I'm fucking sick to death of hearing "Build Me Up, Buttercup", too.

by Anonymousreply 1407/22/2010

Totally agree OP.

by Anonymousreply 1507/22/2010

It's a sign of the times we are living in today.

by Anonymousreply 1607/22/2010

The "best mix of the 80s and 90s" station here plays "Flashdance (What A Feeling!)" once an hour.

by Anonymousreply 1707/22/2010

R16, it gets to a point where people convince themselves they like something when in fact it's only that they are used to it.

by Anonymousreply 1807/22/2010

It's always been like that. Back in the 80s, I remember oldies station playing the same shit over and over.

by Anonymousreply 1907/22/2010

Sirius XM has a few channels specifically devoted to out-of-the-way tracks on classic albums. I normally listen to these channels when I'm driving, and it's amazing what their radio-jockeys (or whatever the word is) turn up. Deep Tracks (15) is especially good.

by Anonymousreply 2007/22/2010

Wow, R6, you just listed three of my least favorite songs ever

Still, there are thousands of interesting radio stations all over the world. Get the Rough Guide to Radio for a selection, or tune into FIP Radio, a French channel that plays a very good mix of pop, jazz and classical.

by Anonymousreply 2107/22/2010

[quote]The oldies station where I live (Richmond, VA) plays music from the sixties and seventies. It would be nice if they added music from the fifties to the mix.

[quote]They do tend to play the same songs over and over. I'm sick of hearing "I Can Dream About You" from that awful movie "Streets of Fire."

"Streets of Fire" came out in 1984.

by Anonymousreply 2207/22/2010

Each generation has a desired demographic of people in their 30's and 40's that advertisers in radio and TV target. In the 80's it was the Big Chill generation so oldies stations played a lot of Motown, British invasion. The next generation in the 90's and early 2000's it was 70's pop and Disco. Now today its the generation that grew up with late 70's classic rock and 80's New Wave. In New York, much was made when oldies station WCBSfm came back but some people complain that it got rid of all 50's music and much of 60's music. Its very strange to hear a radio station thats supposed to be oldies playing Cyndi Lauper and Huey Lewis. I don't think they even call them oldies now.

by Anonymousreply 2307/22/2010

Try this station. You can stream it online. Definitely not your run of the mill classic rock radio.

by Anonymousreply 2407/22/2010

People only like hits! A song is a hit if you've heard it before! Or why else would you be listening to it again?

by Anonymousreply 2507/22/2010

What about ol' school funk stations?

by Anonymousreply 2607/22/2010

With the millions of songs out there from all over the world waiting to be downloaded and discovered, you can pretty much create your own radio station.

by Anonymousreply 2707/22/2010

My guess is that they've done market tests and those are the songs that keep people listening. The fact that the vast majority of these stations are automated combines to make them even more boring, and, no, it doesn't reflect what was really played on the radio at that time. Even Top 40 stations tailored their playlists to the tastes of local listeners, including songs that were hits locally but not necessarily nationally.

by Anonymousreply 2807/22/2010

Great point, r28.

by Anonymousreply 2907/23/2010

WCBS-FM calls itself the "greatest hits" station.

by Anonymousreply 3007/23/2010

"Streets of Fire" came out in 1984."%0D %0D Their ad says "the greatest music from the sixties and the seventies" but it sounds like they've thrown a few eighties tunes in there now and then because they have been playing "I Can Dream About You" a lot lately. I seem to recall they also play some Michael Jackson eighties stuff now and then, "Rock With You" and "Billie Jean." But the station still mostly sticks with the same tired old oldies that have been played a billion times.

by Anonymousreply 3107/23/2010

Move to Satellite or Internet Radio. period. Everything else is owned by Clear Channel (See the Dubya Years for more info), or CBS.

by Anonymousreply 3207/23/2010

Satellite radio is just as bad.

by Anonymousreply 3307/23/2010

R26 if you find one, let me know.

by Anonymousreply 3407/23/2010

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 3507/23/2010

Did you know the guy who wrote "I Can Dream About You" died of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 3607/23/2010

You are all forgetting "Suite Judy Blue Eyes," which has been a required 6 times a day song on "classic" radio for 35 years.

by Anonymousreply 3707/23/2010

Commercial radio is such a debacle.%0D %0D The people criticizing modern country music think modern country music consists only of the minimum repetitive low-ranged selection heard on commercial country radio.%0D %0D You need to get Sirius-XM radio to get an enjoyable wide-ranged maximum selection of modern pop music and modern country music.

by Anonymousreply 3807/23/2010

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 3907/24/2010

They need to pay revenue so they can stay on the air. Plus, for the DJ's to play the same 5 songs from every band will draw older listeners.

by Anonymousreply 4007/25/2010

"Oldies Statations"? How could songs like "Can't Help Myself" or "Satisfaction" be called oldies? I could bet my life that if I turn on the radio, Scott Shannon will be playing these songs along with the same play list that he played a day before. The reason people started listing to old music was because it took them back to their younger days. I no longer remember what I felt like when I first hear songs like "Brown eyed Girl" or "Everyday People" These songs know remind me of turning off the radio in frustration. What I have started doing is looking up the forgotten oldies on Youtube and only listen to the oldies on the weekend or at night or just listen to today's top 40!

by Anonymousreply 4106/24/2012

It seems like each station has a contract with the few producers to play those few songs but they play hundreds of different songs durring a holiday proveing that they do have practicality all the old hits ...so maybe durring the holiday time they rent the right to play more than the same few songs that they keep playing for the last 3 decades ..so I think it/s got to be a permission situation because no one in their right mind would play the same few songs for 30 years!! Signed mr.Sick pf it too

by Anonymousreply 4204/03/2013

This has little to do with the thread (well, a little), boy these pictures are wonderful

by Anonymousreply 4304/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.