Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will a plastic owl keep squirrels and birds away?

Any people with experience with using the owl, and was it effective?%0D %0D They sell them at Home Depot for fifteen bucks.

by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2019 1:42 PM

Only the plastic ones.

by Anonymousreply 1July 18, 2010 4:27 PM

Squirrels and rabbits take a day or two to figure out it's not real and then ignore it. It works pretty well with birds, though.

by Anonymousreply 2July 18, 2010 4:29 PM

It works for a while, but once the birds get used to it they just poop on it and make fun of it.

by Anonymousreply 3July 18, 2010 4:30 PM

No, but this will. The moving eyes scare the shit out of squirrels and birds. NASA even used it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4July 18, 2010 4:31 PM

When I set out a plastic owl the birds and critters apparently thought it was hilarious. I had better luck with a plastic snake; it spooked them. %0D %0D You can also buy a mechanical owl that moves its head and - I think - hoots from time to time. More expensive, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5July 18, 2010 4:35 PM

What if you move the owl around--they still pick up that it is fake?%0D %0D Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6July 18, 2010 4:40 PM

Video of NASA using "terror eyes" to keep pigeons away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 18, 2010 4:43 PM

A plastic owl will also keep away any friends or family with an ounce of taste.

by Anonymousreply 8July 18, 2010 4:46 PM

You need an entire vignette which includes squirrels on the tree trunk, plastic Bambie, and a gnome family. A chicken with ceramic chicks following behind completes the look.

by Anonymousreply 9July 18, 2010 5:04 PM

Don't forget the pink flamingoes.%0D

by Anonymousreply 10July 18, 2010 5:19 PM

Make one yourself out of tempera paint, old panty hose and seeds.

by Anonymousreply 11July 19, 2010 6:29 AM

It works better if you can send the owl out on patrol in some kind of motorized cart. A model train can work if you attach the owl securely enough, and if the curves aren't too sharp.

by Anonymousreply 12July 19, 2010 7:06 AM

Daniel Bexton could help you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13July 19, 2010 7:09 AM

That thing at R7 scares me.

by Anonymousreply 14July 19, 2010 7:14 AM

The most effective plastic owl will have a blinking light and smell of alligator urine. Paint owl a different color every few days. Familiarize yourself with unpleasant color combinations and fugue-inducing patterns. Flap your arms wildly when placing the owl and on each subsequent visit.

by Anonymousreply 15July 19, 2010 7:15 AM

Have you thought about dressing up as an owl, in your own hand sewn costume of course, and patrolling the yard? There are websites which can teach you owl calls.

by Anonymousreply 16July 19, 2010 7:20 AM

[quote] Will a plastic owl keep squirrels and birds away? Away from what?

by Anonymousreply 17July 19, 2010 7:28 AM

NO! We have two plastic owls with bobble heads. Even when we move them around every day the other birds seek them out just to shit on them.

by Anonymousreply 18July 19, 2010 7:55 AM

Rub apple butter on your body and roll around in the grass.

by Anonymousreply 19July 19, 2010 8:00 AM

R18 Do they blink and smell of alligator urine?

by Anonymousreply 20July 19, 2010 8:00 AM

Plastic owls work best if you put them on the end of a rope so you can swing them and attempt to hit the offending wildlife. That seems to scare birds and squirrels quite a bit. Also, it works on coyotes and small children.

by Anonymousreply 21July 19, 2010 8:02 AM

Have you thought about getting a komodo dragon?

by Anonymousreply 22July 19, 2010 8:05 AM

I don't know but there adorable. Yes, I find them adorable, I always wanted one.

by Anonymousreply 23July 19, 2010 8:47 AM

What are you trying to protect from the birds and squirrels, OP?

Your trees?

by Anonymousreply 24July 19, 2010 9:49 PM

He's trying to protect them from themselves.

by Anonymousreply 25July 19, 2010 9:51 PM

Why not use one of your old caftans and a turban to make a scarecrow, OP? That would frighten off most sentient creatures.

by Anonymousreply 26July 19, 2010 9:56 PM

Try this, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27July 19, 2010 10:01 PM

Muggles, R17.

by Anonymousreply 28July 19, 2010 11:20 PM

I'm buying 1 of those terror eye things to put on the top of my roof.

Hopefully, it will keep those mocking bird fuckers out of the big Oak in my yard.

by Anonymousreply 29July 20, 2010 12:08 AM

Mockingbirds sing at night. Unless there's a bright moon, the holographic eyes won't work in the dark.

by Anonymousreply 30July 20, 2010 12:32 AM

I don't know about squirrels or birds, but it will stop Kim Basinger dead and her tracks and she freezes, sometimes for hours.

by Anonymousreply 31July 20, 2010 12:44 AM

I put out my little figurine of Olivia. Works like a charm.

by Anonymousreply 32July 20, 2010 12:48 AM

A pair of nunchucks, a breast pump, and a biography of Rick Moranis.

by Anonymousreply 33July 20, 2010 12:48 AM

Will the plastic owls scare my plastic flamingos?

by Anonymousreply 34July 20, 2010 1:03 AM

During its first full moon, your plastic owl will turn into a real owl, and everything that touches it or passes through its field of vision will turn into plastic. The owl cannot breathe or move around in plastic, so its experience as a living bird is brief and probably horrible.

Nobody knows why this happens.

by Anonymousreply 35July 20, 2010 1:45 AM

Those little fuckers "sing" during the afternoon, at midnight, 4 at night, 7 in the morning...

They never shut the fuck up. It's 3 months of audible hell.

by Anonymousreply 36July 20, 2010 2:18 AM

My parents have a next-door neighbor with a barn/shed in her back yard that used to be a favorite roosting place for nasty-ass pigeons and grackels, which irritated anyone who was feeding songbirds on the street.

Two plastic owls, one on each end of the barn roof, seem to have worked pretty well. Grackels are still around, but they don't congregate on the barn like they used to. Pigeons have almost completely stopped coming by. Maybe they are especially stupid.

by Anonymousreply 37July 20, 2010 2:33 AM

R36, how many times do we have to post the datalounge mockingbird relief formula? Get one cheap drugstore fan. Plug in in front of bedroom window or on bedside table, facing fan away from you. Turn on fan. The sound of the fan motor drowns out the mockingbird. Use more than one fan if needed, one at window, one at bedside. It should be no problem, as we are talking cheap fans.

by Anonymousreply 38July 20, 2010 12:26 PM

Fuck that....

I'm scaring the little fuckers away. I'm not putting a fan in every 1 of my rooms.

by Anonymousreply 39July 20, 2010 6:33 PM

This owl won't scare them away, but he certainly will make them happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 20, 2010 9:20 PM

Put this on a permanent loop in your yard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41July 20, 2010 9:50 PM

OP? Buy a BB gun -- seriously.%0D %0D %0D Pigeons used to roost on my back porch and shit on it like crazy. So I bought a handgun-shaped air-powered BB gun, anticipating many happy hours of using them for target practice.%0D %0D %0D But only one day -- ONE DAY -- of shooting at the little fuckers, and they went away and never came back. I'm thinkin' they told their friends as well. Later, I gave the BB gun away.%0D %0D %0D Just sayin'.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 42July 20, 2010 10:22 PM

As a fat owl would I be useful on mice patrol?

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2010 12:20 AM

The caws are coming from inside the nest!

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2010 8:52 AM

[quote]It works better if you can send the owl out on patrol in some kind of motorized cart. A model train can work if you attach the owl securely enough, and if the curves aren't too sharp.%0D %0D R12, Juuuuuu Craaaadzzzzzyyyyy

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2010 8:17 PM

I have a mannequin in my basement that I'm going to dress up as the Virgin Mary and put it in my back yard. I wish I could figure out a way to rig it so it would cry blood...shoo...

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2010 9:22 PM

JohnEric, if you think of it as a water fountain with red-colored water...this could work!%0D %0D One of the submersible water fountain pumps, some hose (water, not panty), a basin for the statue to stand in and catch the water, some electricity to run the pump...yes!%0D %0D If I were there, I'd help you. This could be awesome!

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2010 10:19 PM

i use my kids diaper with pee to keep squirrels away from my tomatos

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2012 2:43 AM

I use a blow up snake and move it every other day or so. The birds scream at it from a safe distance but they don't come close.

I have also used discarded CD/DVD discs strung up on fishing line. The flash does scare the birds away. I know it looks real trailer trash but the flashes are scary to squirrels and birds.

I also buy plastic Xmas apples on a string and put gooey inssect killer stuff on them and that takes care of a lot of insect vermin.

I am a true killer when it comes to anything that will harm my crops.

Today two turkey vultures were doing the old mating thing and I think I may have them and their family around this spring and summer. I am really happy. Had a hawk family once and had so much fun watching them.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2012 6:14 AM

This thread is full of so much psychosis, it isn't even funny.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2012 7:07 AM

What about Racoons? My friend has a family living under his deck and causing a ruckus at night.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2012 12:34 PM

The owls worked for us. We had crows that kept pooping on our outdoor furniture. The day we put out those owls, the crows stayed away and haven't been back.

One falcon spent an hour screaming at the owl, but eventually moved on as well.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2012 1:33 PM

switch its perch regularly

by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2012 1:44 PM

Plastic owls are very effective at keeping plastic squirrels away.

by Anonymousreply 54July 19, 2012 5:03 PM

The moving Owls work wonders, or make sure that the Owl is on a swinging branch.

by Anonymousreply 55July 19, 2012 5:15 PM

R49, turkey vultures are fascinating (though ugly), but they only eat carrion. They're not predators like the falcons, so their presence won't deter other critters (who all seem well versed in natural history).

I used to work in a government building that was plagued by pigeons roosting on the window ledges with poop flowing down the walls. So the maintenance dept installed plastic owls on each corner ledge. Next day, more pigeons than usual showed up to roost & the early birds got the corner seats, where they snuggled up right next to the owls, some of them even putting their heads on the owls' shoulders (so cute!). Your tax dollars at work!

by Anonymousreply 56July 19, 2012 5:25 PM

My friend read that shiny, moving and spinning thins as well as a bowl with booze would keep the pigeons away from her balcony. She put up several silver glittery pom-poms that rustled around, several brightly coloured pinwheels and a bowl with amaretto. Did they leave? No because she had created a freakin pigeon disco!!

by Anonymousreply 57July 19, 2012 6:27 PM

Christ, this explains the enormous (18 inch tall) hideous plastic owl I found in my parents basement when I was cleaning their house up. Both were quite old and couldn't remember procuring it. It scared the shit out of me when I opened the cupboard it was in. I could see the effect would wear off very quickly.

My parent's neighborhood went through a craze of putting water-filled plastic milk jugs out on lawns as a means of keeping dogs from pooping on them. How or why people thought this worked...

by Anonymousreply 58July 19, 2012 6:41 PM

You know what will work? Set your house on fire.

What? You're saying 'but where am I going to live?'? Really, do I have to figure out EVERYTHING for you?

by Anonymousreply 59July 19, 2012 7:07 PM

They don't work.

Most birds can detect ultraviolet light, polarized light, and even magnetic fields. Their vision is really remarkable. Birds will quickly realize the plastic thingy isn't a real bird and will ignore it. They might be scared at first but only because it's a new object in their environment.

BTW, birds' feathers reflect UV especially well and in unique patterns. So, while all the bird of a particular species might look pretty much alike to us, birds use their UV vision to recognize each other. To other birds, each bird is just as unique as other people are to us.

by Anonymousreply 60July 19, 2012 7:09 PM

The US Postal Service spent thousands of dollars putting up plastic owls at the Hillcrest station in San Diego. It didn't work. Now the pigeons have another place to make their nests, right behind the owls, within the corners of the building.

by Anonymousreply 61July 19, 2012 8:51 PM

Costume suggestion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62July 19, 2012 9:05 PM

[quote]I used to work in a government building that was plagued by pigeons roosting on the window ledges with poop flowing down the walls. So the maintenance dept installed plastic owls on each corner ledge. Next day, more pigeons than usual showed up to roost & the early birds got the corner seats, where they snuggled up right next to the owls, some of them even putting their heads on the owls' shoulders (so cute!). Your tax dollars at work!

That.is.hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 63July 19, 2012 9:09 PM

Best thread ever!!

by Anonymousreply 64July 19, 2012 9:16 PM

Blast from the past! This thread came up on google when I searched for plastic owl keep birds away.

I need to keep owls and hawks off my roof to stop the pooping on my deck. The hawks man it during the day and the owls land with a loud thump about 2a.m. I have all these furry turds on my deck and have found a half-eaten snake there too.

At first I was all nature lover about it, but now it's just messy and disgusting. I'm thinking the Terror Eyes might work! Anyone ever have success since this thread started?

by Anonymousreply 65May 31, 2013 6:38 PM

If you armed the plastic owls with plastic guns that shoot rubber bullets, I think it would work.

by Anonymousreply 66May 31, 2013 6:57 PM

Crows have taken all the pebbles I put on hubby's grave only three weeks ago.. It's a big double grave .. Black pebble stones. None left . I'm going to replace.. But wondering how I will deter the pesky birds. Your replies are so funny!!!! Any other ideas.. Might get a spray!!

by Anonymousreply 67November 9, 2013 8:22 AM

r67 Two words: electrified chicken wire

by Anonymousreply 68November 9, 2013 9:26 AM

[quote]As a fat owl would I be useful on mice patrol? by: Owleen Eaglefeather

ROFLMAO!

by Anonymousreply 69November 9, 2013 8:50 PM

Will it keep the ferret out of the dishwasher?

by Anonymousreply 70November 9, 2013 9:37 PM

Try the Courtney Stodden blow up doll! Even I would not dare myself near that. At least not without a magnetic shield and lots of penicillin...

by Anonymousreply 71November 9, 2013 9:45 PM

Get a load of R60 aka Mrs. Grundy, with her smart beret, sitting on her barstool at the Tides Cafe in Bodega Bay.

"I don't know about their brain pans, madame, but these birds ATTACKED!"

by Anonymousreply 72November 10, 2013 1:58 PM

Owls do not work. I bought one at home depot to keep the starlings from crapping all over and in my pool and they land right in front of it and crap anyway. waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 73May 22, 2014 1:58 PM

set something up that attracts bird, shot one, leave it there, let the other birds know whats up

by Anonymousreply 74April 19, 2015 3:06 PM

terroreyes are confidential and shoudnt be veewd except under utmost confidents. forget uve seen it.

by Anonymousreply 75April 19, 2015 3:19 PM

I agree with a couple of the posters. You need to get yourself a gun!

by Anonymousreply 76April 19, 2015 3:24 PM

[quote] My parent's neighborhood went through a craze of putting water-filled plastic milk jugs out on lawns as a means of keeping dogs from pooping on them. How or why people thought this worked...

That is the weirdest, stupidest thing I've read all day.

How/why the fuck would that work?!?!?

Unless you shot one of the water jugs, while a dog was right beside it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77September 19, 2015 9:44 PM

Holy crap, this thread is still open!

Now THIS, dear children, is what DL used to be like -- hilarity with every post!

by Anonymousreply 78January 5, 2016 8:16 AM

My stomach hurts from laughing.

by Anonymousreply 79January 5, 2016 8:40 AM

One thing's for sure, plastic owls won't deliver the mail! (I tried them)

by Anonymousreply 80January 5, 2016 9:16 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2017 11:40 AM

I used to have a pigeon problem they would land on my terrace and crap on it to mark their territory. A friend who works for the NYC dept of buildings told me that birds and animals don't like human smells. I put Renuzit air fresheners on my terrace to keep pigeons away. Works great but you have to replace them every 2-3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2017 11:53 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2017 12:49 PM

Why not get a real owl?

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2017 3:31 PM

It works for exactly 24 hours, then they start sitting on it.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2017 7:17 PM

Get the little boy from the Korean BBC TV show in that motorized chair and have him zip around the yard.

That'll scare everyone.

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2017 7:23 PM

Is op, Donald Trump or Paul Ryan?

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2017 7:30 PM

Why anyone would want to keep squirrels away is the real question.

by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2019 1:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!