Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ama Adams signs to play Janis Joplin

Are they determined to get this film into the Miscasting Hall of Fame or something? First they tried to get Renee Zelleger and now this.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6801/26/2013

you've gotta fucking be kidding me. yeah, she has a couple of Oscar noms, but that doesn't mean she's THAT talented. isn't aa a little too old???

by Anonymousreply 107/17/2010

Did she change her name?

by Anonymousreply 207/17/2010

I think this might not be such a bad idea.....great actress who can sing, vulnerability to spare (which would be good since Joplin isn't the most sympathetic character in the world.) I will reserve judgment until I see it.

by Anonymousreply 307/17/2010

Janis Joplin = Amy Adams? Err, NO. I'm not getting the visual at all. An angelic looking Wasp playing wild disheveled looking junkie alkie Janis Joplin?

I've always thought the best actress to portray Joplin was always Mare Winningham. Unfortunately, she's not A List, people associate her with Lifetime movies.

Mare looks a bit like Joplin and is also a singer, though I don't know if she's a blues screamer as Janis was. I'm sure the original recordings will be used, so singing is probably not a prerequisite.

Jeez, what is the deal with casting people, producers and directors, these days not much thought seems to go into casting the right people, it's all about box office.

The best casting for a rock icon was Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison, many didn't like the film, but he was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 407/17/2010

Amy Adams must have an amazing agent/management team. Seriously. How did she become A list? She is a decent, even very good actress, but has ZERO charisma. She is even more bland than Laura Linney.

by Anonymousreply 507/17/2010

"Amy Adams must have an amazing agent/management team. Seriously. How did she become A list? She is a decent, even very good actress, but has ZERO charisma. She is even more bland than Laura Linney."

I agree. Solid actress but zero star appeal. On the other hand, there's not much happening in terms of younger actresses.

by Anonymousreply 607/17/2010

Shit, I thought it was going to be Joss Stone.

by Anonymousreply 707/17/2010

Whaaaaat???? Insane!

by Anonymousreply 807/17/2010

What is the point in having someone beautiful play someone who was labeled "the ugliest man on campus" at UT? It kind of makes light of some of the pain Janis went through. Pink or Stone would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 907/17/2010

Joss Stome will do well with the west end production that's planned.

by Anonymousreply 1007/17/2010

Dama dama DAMA!!!

by Anonymousreply 1107/17/2010

Joss Stone, isn't she like 6 feet tall?! Not to mention, way too attractive.

Janis, despite her larger than life image, was a very small woman.

Pink is too butch.

I this age of "American Idol", why can't the producers simply have an open casting to find some unknown who can sing and resembles Janis?

by Anonymousreply 1207/17/2010

I'll be very surprised if Amy Adams can pull off Janis' rough edges. My stepfather, a man who puts away a bottle of vodka and 3 bottles of wine on a slow day, described her as the most obnoxious drunk he'd ever met.

by Anonymousreply 1307/17/2010

As much as I dislike her, I think Zooey Deschanel would have done a better job if they're insisting upon casting a name.

by Anonymousreply 1407/17/2010

Please, lay off Janis Joplin's looks. She belongs to an era before female pop stars were required to look like pole dancers.

by Anonymousreply 1507/17/2010

Yes, Kilmer was amazing as Morrison, but I didn't like the movie. Oliver Stone sucks.

If they make a Kurt Cobain movie I really hope they go with an unknown. The only celebrity mentioned who resembles him is Taylor Hanson.

by Anonymousreply 1607/17/2010

Kurt Cobain was so pretty. But he also kinda looked like Jeffrey Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 1707/17/2010

R17, that is a funny observation. Strange, but funny.

by Anonymousreply 1807/17/2010

Ewan MacGregor would be great to play Cobain (except he already has, in "Velvet Goldmine.")

As much as Kristin Steward annoys me, wasn't she considered for this role?

Pink would be a very interesting choice (assuming she can act.) I'd actually pay to see that.

by Anonymousreply 1907/17/2010

R19 is the first person to confuse Iggy Pop and Kurt Cobain.

Other than their profession, did those two have anything in common?

by Anonymousreply 2007/17/2010

Even though Bette Midler admitted that she based her performance on Jim Morrison, I still think "The Rose" is the best representation of Janis Joplin.%0D %0D Amy Adams is too perky. Are these the same idiots that wanted Chenowith for Dusty?

by Anonymousreply 2107/17/2010

The character of Kurt Wild was based both on Iggy Pop and Kurt Cobain, R20.

At least according to Todd Haynes, the writer and director of the movie.

But perhaps you know more about it than Mr. Haynes does?

by Anonymousreply 2207/17/2010

I do.

by Anonymousreply 2307/17/2010

The Rose was unwatchable because the music was so fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 2407/17/2010

Amy Adams, with the mousy helium voice, is going to play Janis Joplin, with the gruff, cigarettes, booze & drugs voice?

Can't fucking wait to watch this train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 2507/17/2010

R21, who knew that they could find someone to play a Janis Joplin like character who was actually much uglier than Joplin herself? Quite an achievement.

by Anonymousreply 2607/17/2010

[quote]Amy Adams must have an amazing agent/management team. Seriously. How did she become A list? She is a decent, even very good actress, but has ZERO charisma. She is even more bland than Laura Linney.

True. I really have no use for Adams but maybe she'll surprise everyone. I don't think much of Adams as an actress but maybe that's due to the boring material that's out there. She is being given a chance to show what chops she has with this.

by Anonymousreply 2707/17/2010

" Seriously. How did she become A list? She is a decent, even very good actress, but has ZERO charisma.

Completely agree. I admit I am looking forward to seeing this movie if only for the train wreck effect. Though most likely it will be as boring as it will be bad.

by Anonymousreply 2807/17/2010

Is this one actually going to get made? There have been Janis projects in development for decades and none of them ever get made.

by Anonymousreply 2907/17/2010

PLEASE use Miss Joplin's vocal tracks. Her voice was unique then, it's unique now.

by Anonymousreply 3007/17/2010

[quote]Joss Stome will do well with the west end production that's planned.%0D %0D Not really. She isn't very well liked in the UK. She'll be panned.

by Anonymousreply 3107/17/2010

pquote]If they make a Kurt Cobain movie I really hope they go with an unknown. The only celebrity mentioned who resembles him is Taylor Hanson.%0D %0D I think they already have. It's called Gus Van Sant's Last Days.

by Anonymousreply 3207/17/2010

[quote]Ewan MacGregor would be great to play Cobain (except he already has, in "Velvet Goldmine.")%0D %0D Erm...except he was playing Iggy Pop.

by Anonymousreply 3307/17/2010

Exactly R26. I think everyone thought she was playing Janis because she, herself, is so ugly. We were just being polite.

by Anonymousreply 3407/17/2010

Can that god talks to me chick who wrote a book actually act? She kinda looks like her.

by Anonymousreply 3507/17/2010

Jane Krakowski did as a good a job as anyone in her auditions for a Janis Joplin movie on "30 Rock."

by Anonymousreply 3607/17/2010

#5, You said what first popped into my head.

NO FUCKING CHARISMA. NONE.

Loved her in Junebug. She was decent in that nun flick.

But do I care if I ever seen her in another film again?

NO.

Terrible, terrible choice.

Pink would have been AMAZING. Charisma AND presence.

by Anonymousreply 3707/17/2010

She is kind of like a Debra Messing without the annoyingness or personality.

by Anonymousreply 3807/17/2010

"The Rose" was supposed to a fictionalized version of Janis Joplin but it was ludicrous. Bette Midler, with her Broadway voice and semetic looks, playing Janis Joplin? And the movie was so dumb; she does onstage stoned on heroin, belts out one last number and then drops dead. Stupid!%0D %0D There's been talk of a movie about Janis Joplin for years. Melissa Ethridge was going to play her, then Pink was mentioned, and then it was Renee Zellweger who was going to play her. And of course Courtney Love always thought she was perfect for the role. And now it's Amy Adams who's going to be Janis Joplin...Amy Adams!%0D %0D I doubt this movie will get made. There's been talk of a Joplin bio-pic for years, but it's never happened. I hope it never does. Janis Joplin was incredibly larger than life and much more complicated than people realize; no actress could do her justice. And God knows no actress OR singer could sing like her. Nobody has ever sung like Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 3907/17/2010

Welcome to the Annual _______________ Signs to Play Janis Joplin Press Release!%0D Going strong since 1970!

by Anonymousreply 4007/17/2010

I know it's hard for you youngsters to understand this but "Velvet Goldmine" depicts an era that was a full generation before Kurt Cobain and to which his very existence is completely irrelevant. It's not just about pop music but gay liberation and its betrayal.

Kurt Wild is definitely supposed to be Iggy (who like Kurt is a wild man from Michigan) while Brian Slade is clearly Bowie, who flaunted his homosexuality during the 1970s but discreetly went back into the closet when bisexuality went out of fashion.

by Anonymousreply 4107/17/2010

[quote]but discreetly went back into the closet when bisexuality went out of fashion.

or maybe he just preferred pussy.

by Anonymousreply 4207/17/2010

I think Denzel Washington should play Janis.

by Anonymousreply 4307/17/2010

Kurt Wild? Is he doing legit acting now?

by Anonymousreply 4407/17/2010

Adams is wrong for this part for so many reasons. She is also ten years too old to play Janis. Janis died at 27. Adams looks like she's in her 30s.

by Anonymousreply 4507/17/2010

I'm going wilding!

by Anonymousreply 4607/17/2010

I agree Adams is wrong for the role but regardless of her actual age Janis looked about 40 when she keeled over.

by Anonymousreply 4707/17/2010

Hollywood would never cast a 25-year-old in this role. Of course, Janis looked way older than her actual years.

by Anonymousreply 4807/17/2010

Drunk & disorderly

by Anonymousreply 4907/17/2010

Am I the only one who sees no problem with this? Adams is a good actor and with the right makeup she should be able to pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 5007/17/2010

Amy Adams!

by Anonymousreply 5107/17/2010

I think this is tremendous casting! And may I suggest Adam Lambert in a cameo as Janis' buddy Grace Slick?

by Anonymousreply 5207/17/2010

She's got to pull off the singing. Joplin without the voice is just pointless.

If Lohan had gotten herself together, I think she could have had the chops for the part.

But for this to work, like Marian did in Piaf, the music must work.

by Anonymousreply 5307/17/2010

This is all press & PR and Hollywood bullshit.%0D Unless a studio & a director is attached and the film has a green light, all this chatter is horseshit. If and When this happens, Amy will certainly have to sing before anything is signed...and she may be able to pull it off, who knows? I've only seen her play the same role...Hollywood makes an actor do that, too.%0D Films cost too much money & Amy Adams has yet to open a film.

by Anonymousreply 5407/17/2010

The plot description is weird. The entire film takes place during one day.

by Anonymousreply 5507/17/2010

Maybe they should go the I'm Not There route and forget about finding someone who resembles her directly. Have Tom Waits play her in one segment.

by Anonymousreply 5607/17/2010

Man. For a second there I thought that was Sara Gilbert in R51's post.

by Anonymousreply 5707/17/2010

Might I suggest Jessica Simpson as Mama Cass?

by Anonymousreply 5807/17/2010

[quote]Can that god talks to me chick who wrote a book actually act? She kinda looks like her.%0D %0D What are you talking about? %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5907/17/2010

Amber Tamblyn?

by Anonymousreply 6007/17/2010

Grace Potter was robbed...

by Anonymousreply 6107/17/2010

I'd screen-test Crystal Bowersox.

by Anonymousreply 6207/18/2010

"Kurt Wild? Is he doing legit acting now?"

YIIKES. Kurt Wild was the name of a CHARACTER in "Velvet Goldmine".

Iggy Pop, David Bowie and Angie Bowie were depicted in the film under different names, apparently the director didn't want to be sued.

Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Ewan MacGregor and Toni Collette starred, rent it, it's great!

by Anonymousreply 6307/18/2010

The guy who is supposed to direct this has said it isn't happening.

by Anonymousreply 6407/19/2010

R59, I think the poster is referring to Anne Heche, but I'm not sure.

Can Pink even act?

Musical biopics usually suck because most people's lives don't have the right structure to make a satisfying film. "Walk the Line" was an exception because the final act was getting clean and getting the girl, not dropping dead.

by Anonymousreply 6507/19/2010

I think Joplin kind of resembles Tracy Ullman.

by Anonymousreply 6607/19/2010

Most biopics sucks because their lives get whittled down to a "greatest hits" version of the most notorious events instead of exploring the psyche of the person.

Janis was an avid reader and she's the reason I started getting into the writers of the 1920s; in a bio of her she was on a tour bus reading a bio of Zelda and waxing about what an interesting character she was. She, also, dropped out of the whole scene after having some success and cleaned up and tried to play it straight living back in Texas and getting engaged to a boring guy. Complicated lady.

by Anonymousreply 6707/19/2010

Amy Adams as Janis Joplin?

Maybe next Brad Pitt should play Woody Allen, or Truman Copote.

Janis Joplin was an amazing artist, but a beauty she was not.

Oh, here's a thought, maybe Scarlett Jo should play Patti Smith. Yeah, that's believable.

by Anonymousreply 6801/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.