Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Polly Bergen is 80 years old today

Happy birthday, ya old cunt!

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2014

Cool. I just watched "The Caretakers" on Hulu yesterday. That first scene where she goes nuts in the movie theater was awesome...classic 60's cinema where to show the not-yet-familiar-with the-subject public that you're mentally ill you must run through a public place tearing at your hair, crying, "I'm mad, I tell you! MAD!"

by Anonymousreply 107/14/2010

She was so lovely as Amy Locane's grandmother in "Cry-Baby."

by Anonymousreply 207/14/2010

Beauty! Brains! Breeding! Bounty!

by Anonymousreply 307/14/2010

To tell the truth, I didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 407/14/2010

A great old broad, who came out as a dyke in her 70s.%0D %0D LOVED her on Desperate Housewives as Lynette's mother.%0D %0D And in her prime, a great singer, with a whiskey voice and a great sense of drama.

by Anonymousreply 507/14/2010

Though she was a hugely popular singer and TV actress in the 1950s (my mother always swooned about her performance as Helen Morgan in a TV bio-pic), who then went on to some bigger fame as a sexy character actress in 1960s Hollywood films (The Caretakers, Move Over, Darling and Kisses for My President), I most fondly remember Polly as a ubiquitous and witty panelist on all those Goodson/Todman game shows.%0D %0D And, oh yes, the voice and face in all those Turtle Cream ads.%0D %0D Did she really come out as a dyke or was r5 joshing?

by Anonymousreply 607/14/2010

No, I KNOW Polly and can tell you she did finally come out a few years back. Meredith Baxter ain't got nothing on ol' Polly.

by Anonymousreply 707/14/2010

by Anonymousreply 807/14/2010

Took LSD many times in the 60s like Cary Grant did, for "therapy" purposes. %0D %0D Also did a nice turn in "The Sopranos" as Johnnyboy's old girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 907/14/2010

She was on Rosie's radio show today. She's still sharp as a tack and served up some entertaining dish. There was cake.

by Anonymousreply 1007/15/2010

So what was the dish?

by Anonymousreply 1107/15/2010

I know she is a dyke, I've met her partner Jan. But did she come out in the media?

Her kids are all adopted. The one time I know of her being preggers was the tubal pregnancy which got her out of FIRST IMPRESSIONS--was she actually pregnant?

It'd be interesting to see HER Mme. Armfeldt. She'd surely be someone you could believe was good at 'business' and gave birth to an actress.

Speaking of hysteria, listen to her rendition of WHEN THE WORLD WAS YOUNG.

Why didn't she get along with Judy Garland? I know she was singing at a party one time and Judy "accidentally" unplugged her mic by kicking the cord out of the socket.

by Anonymousreply 1207/15/2010

Did her son die of AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 1307/15/2010

Judy and Polly were friends - their MGM contracts had briefly overlapped. Freddie Fields (Polly's husband) was Judy's agent (along with the infamous David Begelman) at the time when Judy made the comeback that was "The Judy Garland Show" on CBS - in fact, it was Fields & Begelman who got CBS to spring for a Garland variety show. Of course, Judy thought she wasn't getting paid enough and blamed her agents (which given Begelman's later criminal activity was very possible). And since Polly was married to one of those possibly criminal agents (Polly swears she never knew), there was animosity between Judy and Polly.

by Anonymousreply 1407/15/2010

I love that story about her, Eleanor Parker and that jockey in the snowstorm when the truck went through the diner.

by Anonymousreply 1507/15/2010

Actually,R14, Judy was thrilled about the money from the show in the of the richest deals in the history of TV--plus SHE owned the shows (Kingsrow). At first, she thought that TV would bring her true financial security, as it had for many far less talented than she.

Thus the quote re: Begelman -- "so he stole a few hundred thousand; what's that when I'm going to make millions on the show?"

by Anonymousreply 1707/15/2010

I loved her in The Birds

by Anonymousreply 1807/16/2010

When Helen Hayes wanted out of a Broadway show because of pregnancy, the producers sued. She won the case claiming her condition was "An Act of God."

by Anonymousreply 1907/19/2010

What the hell does Helen Hayes have to do with Polly Bergen?

by Anonymousreply 2007/20/2010

Polly Bergen brings true meaning to the term "beloved cunt."

by Anonymousreply 2107/20/2010

Because Polly got out of her First Impressions contract due to her imminent pregnancy. Please keep up r20!

by Anonymousreply 2207/20/2010

I think "Happy Birthday, You Old Cunt!" would make a lovely birthday card greeting.

by Anonymousreply 2307/20/2010

polly did have a tubular pregnancy. this is from one who knew her when. being president of her fan club in the 1950 I knew quite a lot about her professional life.ane personal life. As far as being gay, this is news to me. Maybe all her troubles late in her life made her change.

I still remain her friend and admirerer.

by Anonymousreply 2410/10/2013

Polly is now 83

by Anonymousreply 2510/10/2013

She would have been a great Rose in GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 2610/10/2013

I knew Jeffrey Endervelt, her last (as in final) husband. He was absolute proof that the price of staying in the closet is too high.

by Anonymousreply 2710/10/2013

We turtles are just waiting for the old crone to kick.

It'll be a happy day in the pond!

by Anonymousreply 2810/10/2013

"I know she is a dyke, I've met her partner Jan. But did she come out in the media?"

"As far as being gay, this is news to me. Maybe all her troubles late in her life made her change."

WTF, r24??? Did you change into a homo because of all of your troubles?

by Anonymousreply 2910/10/2013

I saw she was turning 80 and thought - this must be a very old thread. Sure enough it's 3 years old. I really have no idea what she is famous for. Broadway? I remember seeing her on commercials or telethons or something when I was a kid in the late 70s.

by Anonymousreply 3010/10/2013

She also did a great job on one of the Sopranos episodes. She played Tony's Father's Mistress.

by Anonymousreply 3110/10/2013

At Kitty Carlisle Hart's memorial service, Polly was overheard complaining that none of the old "To Tell the Truth" clips shown included her.

by Anonymousreply 3210/10/2013

Her closest NYC friend is Rex Reed.

by Anonymousreply 3310/10/2013

I will never be able to get the thought out of my head that Helen Hayes actually has sex.

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2013

Though still active in show business, it is quite interesting to note that, in her Who's Who entry, Miss Bergen lists herself as a business executive first, an actress second. This is certainly justified; over the last 40 years, she has undertaken such successful business ventures as Polly Bergen Cosmetics, Polly Bergen Jewelry, and Polly Bergen Shoes; she has also been active as part-owner of and pitch person for Oil-of-the-Turtle cosmetics.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2013

I think R24 was brought here by google. Then again, what's gayer than a Polly Bergen fan club?

Her performance in Chris Colfer's film Struck by Lightning is very touching.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2013

Polly and gay writer:

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2013

She played Geena Davis' mother and that Presidential sitcom and Fleicity huffman's mom on Desperate Housewives. She is a very fine actress and was by far the best thing in the unfortunate 2001 Roundabout Follies. She made some decent films once upon a time and was considered beautiful in her day. She made a number of records - her singing style is dated - reflective of the period - but she has a fine voice.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2013

PS: She is Rex's neighbor in Connecticut and she is a lovely person. Rex however, is a CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2013

[quote] her singing style is dated - reflective of the period

Yes. Someone should hook her up with Christina Aguilera on The Voice...

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2013

Her scenery chewing performance in the original "Cape Fear" is thankfully overshadowed by multiple scenes with Robert Mitchum shirtless and sweaty.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2013

Just watched her in my copy of her old TV musical drama spectacular "The Helen Morgan Story."

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2013

The turtle comments refer to Polly Bergen's cosmetic line of the 1960's, "Oil of the Turtle"

by Anonymousreply 4310/10/2013

Who remembers the movie she did called KISSES FOR MY PRESIDENT? Polly played the President of the United States.

by Anonymousreply 4410/10/2013

She needs to get an endorsement deal with the "Perfect Polly."

by Anonymousreply 4510/10/2013

Though Gore Vidal was a friend of Bergen's (some kind of south of the Mason-Dixon line connection), he used to makes jokes for years about those turtle oil commercials.

A younger Jane Wyatt in appearance. Must have been the turtle oil!

by Anonymousreply 4610/10/2013

She has the second most sparkly eyes after the late Colleen Dewhurst. She was very dykey in Move Over Darling. And she was wonderful as Carlotta in the awful Roundabout Follies on Broadway. Gorgeous woman.

by Anonymousreply 4710/10/2013

Rex Reed is a total cunt. and witless. And light fingered.

by Anonymousreply 4810/10/2013

Jeff Endervelt was my best friend's cousin, my friend has since passed away. But every time Polly's name came up anywhere he'd yell MY COUSIN.

by Anonymousreply 4910/10/2013

[quote]I will never be able to get the thought out of my head that Helen Hayes actually has sex.

If it's any consolation, she probably doesn't have it any more.

by Anonymousreply 5010/10/2013

Why all the Rex Reed hate?

by Anonymousreply 5110/10/2013

So is Polly a dyke or not?

by Anonymousreply 5210/10/2013

r 151 Because Rex is a tiresome, vindictive cunt. r152 She has bee in an LTR with a woman named Jan for some years. They seem quite happy.

by Anonymousreply 5310/11/2013

Was Polly known as bisexual in her Hollywood years? Or is this a late-in--life conversion?

by Anonymousreply 5410/12/2013

Were you converted to homosexuality?

by Anonymousreply 5510/12/2013

Polly was probably always gay and acted on it late in life -- or acted on it throughout her life only the public didn't know about it.

Rex Reed is a narcissistic asshole, sure, that's how he made his name going back to the 1960s. I don't see why this is news to some of you.

by Anonymousreply 5610/12/2013

"Why all the Rex Reed hate?"

When was there ever Rex Reed love?

by Anonymousreply 5710/12/2013

[quote] Freddie Fields (Polly's husband) was Judy's agent

Is this the Freddie Fields that was married to Corrinna Tsopei?

by Anonymousreply 5805/21/2014

I like it when she's say "Kiss my Tits"

Like anyone would want those saggy milked out thangs.

by Anonymousreply 5905/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!