Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scientists study Gayface

Gay men are most attracted to the most masculine-faced men, while straight men prefer the most feminine-faced women, according to the results of a new study by a Harvard researcher.%0D %0D The findings suggest that regardless of sexual orientation, men%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s brains are wired for attraction to sexually dimorphic faces %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%94 those with facial features that are most synonymous with gender.%0D %0D The research is published online in the journal Archives of Sexual Behavior, and was led by Aaron Glassenberg, while completing his master%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s degree in the Department of Psychology at Harvard. Glassenberg is a doctoral student in organizational behavior in Harvard%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Harvard Business School. Glassenberg%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s co-authors are David Feinberg of McMaster University in Ontario, Benedict Jones and Lisa DeBruine of the University of Aberdeen, and Anthony Little of the University of Stirling, both in Scotland.%0D %0D %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9COur work showed that gay men found highly masculine male faces to be significantly more attractive than feminine male faces. Also, the types of male faces that gay men found attractive generally did not mirror the types of faces that straight women found attractive, on average,%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D says Glassenberg. %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CMen, gay or straight, prefer high sexual dimorphism in the faces of the sex that they are attracted to. Gay men and straight men did not agree on the types of male faces they considered attractive.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D%0D %0D The study is the first to examine the facial feature preferences of gay men and lesbian women. Women%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s preferences are more complex than men%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s, as indicated by prior research demonstrating that ovulation, contraceptive use, self-perceived attractiveness, and sex drive all affect face preference. In this particular study, straight women preferred more masculine-faced men than lesbian women, while lesbians preferred slightly more masculine female faces than straight women or men.%0D %0D Participants viewed images of faces that were digitally manipulated to be more masculine or feminine, and then indicated which face they considered more attractive. The study was conducted online, and included more than 900 men and women.%0D %0D Sexually dimorphic features in male faces include a broad jaw, broad forehead, and more pronounced brow ridge. A sexually dimorphic female face has a more tapered chin, larger lips, and a narrower forehead.%0D %0D Prior research has also shown that women prefer more masculine male faces when ovulating, indicating an evolutionary function for facial attraction. Men who have faces that are higher in sexual dimorphism (masculinity) have been shown to have better health and dominance but lower investment in offspring.%0D %0D Although it is difficult to make substantial evolutionary claims from this study, Glassenberg%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s work supports the idea that male attraction operates differently from female attraction, regardless of sexual orientation.%0D %0D The research project was supported by Harvard University.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2010

Can someone please make a thread entitled 'Nighttime posts are the best posts!'

Thank you, I will take over from there. I appreciate it.

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2010

Interesting article, but OP's title is misleading. There is nothing about "gayface" in this article

by Anonymousreply 207/13/2010

How stupid.%0D %0D As a gay man, I find very masculine faces to be a turnoff...and I know I'm not alone. %0D %0D Most gay men I know love boyish/soft faces on men. Which means, feminine.

by Anonymousreply 307/13/2010

"Most gay men I know love boyish/soft faces on men"%0D %0D %0D %0D You are confusing gay men with teenage girls. They like boys who look like girls like Justin Bieber.

by Anonymousreply 407/13/2010

"Gay men are most attracted to the most masculine-faced men, while straight men prefer the most feminine-faced women, according to the results of a new study by a Harvard researcher."

Help me here. Why would there be a study needed to show this.

Straight men are attracted to the females, and gay men to males, right.

Femininity is an adjective qualifying the state of femaleness. Masculine is an adjective qualifying the state of maleness.

Therefore, isn't it just common sense that gay men would be attracted to masculine faces on men and straight men to feminine faces on women.

Hello?

by Anonymousreply 507/13/2010

[quote]Men who have faces that are higher in sexual dimorphism (masculinity) have been shown to have better health and dominance but lower investment in offspring.%0D %0D Why would this be?

by Anonymousreply 607/13/2010

[quote]Gay men and straight men did not agree on the types of male faces they considered attractive.%0D %0D I wonder what type male face straight men consider attractive. It has to be softer looking males, since gays have dibs on the uber-masculine faces.

by Anonymousreply 707/13/2010

This study seems like a huge waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 807/13/2010

LOL, R8. I know, you keep hearing of these stupid studies, and they're being paid for by our tax dollars, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 907/13/2010

They had higher testosterone during a formative period, R6 - this produces the traditionally masculine features, but also gives them the impulse to screw and run. Check out this article on r/K selection theory... As a species, humans seem to be K-strategists, but many men adopt r-strategy instead.

by Anonymousreply 1007/13/2010

Explain the popularity of twinks, Mr. Glassenberg.

by Anonymousreply 1107/13/2010

Luckily there is nothing gay about my face. I save the "gay" for my sweet, tight hole and my luscious mouth, oh and my lack of gag reflex.

by Anonymousreply 1207/13/2010

What r3 and r11 said.

by Anonymousreply 1307/13/2010

R11, twinks aren't necessarily feminine-looking. They may be young but that doesn't mean they don't look masculine.

by Anonymousreply 1407/13/2010

[quote]Explain the popularity of twinks, Mr. Glassenberg.

The study is just saying that gay men as a whole are attracted to masculine faces, not that no individual gay men are attracted to something else.

And, like someone said, twinks don't always necessarily have feminine faces.

by Anonymousreply 1507/13/2010

R3, you may know you're not alone now, but you will be, and you'll know it.

by Anonymousreply 1607/13/2010

Thank you, r10.

by Anonymousreply 1707/13/2010

I don't like men with "masculine" faces but I am one of the Men with Feminine Features trolls.

by Anonymousreply 1807/14/2010

This sorta explains a lot. I have a very finely featured, cute/pleasant face. Gay guys are not attracted to me. No takers acres, thats me. And I'm around new and varied gay guys all day, every day. Yet straight guys and women tell me I'm gorgeous and a great catch. All of my relationships with men have been with sexually ambiguous "straight" guys, or bisexuals...and I don't really understand that mentality so my whole love life has been a mindfuck.

It used to bother me that I was so feminine looking, but now that I'm older I realize having a feminine face means that at age 36 I appear to be much, much younger than I actually am.

by Anonymousreply 1907/14/2010

I hope they were not baking cookies anywhere near the interview rooms!

by Anonymousreply 2007/14/2010

R19 that stinks because I would like someone just like you.

by Anonymousreply 2107/14/2010

"...teenage girls... they like boys who look like girls like Justin Bieber."%0D %0D It's true. Takes years for their pussies to get wet looking at this. But they do.

by Anonymousreply 2207/14/2010

I always thought guys who's photograph appeared to have had the dick that had been in their mouth erased, were the guys with gay-face.

by Anonymousreply 2307/14/2010

If they wanted gayface, they could have checked in with mhb.

by Anonymousreply 2407/16/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!