Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

30 Day Shred

I can't move today. WTF? Thank goodness I didn't try PX90 first if 20 min of this leaves me limping and quivering.

Anyone else doing this?

by Anonymousreply 3302/28/2014

If you're talking about the jillian michaels workout, it's a tough one. My legs were killing for about 3 days after I first started it, but then i worked through it. After that, I got a lot out of it and loved the results I was getting in toning and endurance. Had to stop though, as all the jumping was killing my knees. (now i do elliptical at best friend's house 5 days a week)

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2010

I tried this, and it was a good work out, but JM is so annoying I don't think I'll be trying it out again.

by Anonymousreply 207/13/2010

No shit R2, I can still hear her annoying voice in my head. "BUTTKICKS!" "I'D DO ANYTHING GET THOSE ABS!"

by Anonymousreply 307/13/2010

It's really inexpensive, R4. I believe I paid under $10 for it on amazon. %0D %0D I did it for about 3 months. Although I hurt like crazy the first week and I could feel myself getting tighter within about 2 weeks, I didn't start to actually lose weight until about 5 weeks in, but then it started dropping quick. I didn't have that much to lose, so that's probably why it took so long to jumpstart. I only lost about 15 pounds, but it looks like i dropped more since i got a little muscle out of it. %0D %0D I've also done P90X and this is much lighter. I've been swamped between my kids and my partner and all our goings on, so I couldn't commit the time to P90x that was required. For a 30-min workout, this one was very effective. Certainly more effective than 30 at the gym or 30 on an elliptical or a bike (although 30 min of straight running would probably have it beat).

by Anonymousreply 507/13/2010

Thanks, r5. Do you think this would be a good workout for someone who is NOT looking to lose weight? I just lost about 25 lbs and am now at my ideal weight, however, I'd like to be a bit more firm/toned in my abs, arms, shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 607/13/2010

Some of the exercises are really old fashioned and downright bad for the body.

by Anonymousreply 707/13/2010

R7, link please

by Anonymousreply 807/13/2010

R8, I can't link to my trainer's tirade but the one I remember him specifically hating on was "The Lumberjack." The workout is designed for those fat fucks that they abuse on The Biggest Loser.

by Anonymousreply 907/13/2010

Actually, R6, I think it's great for that. Like I said, I didn't readily lose weight, but since I had a little excess to lose, it finally came off. I imagine I wouldn't have lost any on this workout if I didn't need to. %0D %0D As far as being bad for you, I don't know. I have always been in halfway decent to great shape (never in poor shape) and no physical issues of any sort (one isolated pulled back muscle years ago, but no bad ankles, knees, etc.). This has only served me well, but I can't speak for anyone else.%0D %0D I think the obese people who do it lose a lot, because they are throwing around a lot of excess weight, so in addition to getting a harder workout than me or anyone else who is in pretty good shape, they also have the chance to hurt themselves worse.

by Anonymousreply 1007/13/2010

I bought this DVD on for less than $9 and am now on Day #8. I've been on Level #2 for three days now and it is like hell, but sweatier. For a 20 minute commitment, I am getting a hell of a workout and have been sore as hell. It works with my schedule. I only have about 10 pounds to lose, and some toning up to do, so this is perfect for me. It is HARD!

by Anonymousreply 1107/13/2010

Like other posters said, it took several weeks, but it really did work. I did level one for about a month, basically to get strong enough for level 2 and 3. I lost about 25 pounds over 6 months and got some muscles, especially in my arms and abs and obliques. %0D %0D Now, I do the shred three days a week (level 3(x2) and level two once) and the "No more trouble zones" twice a week. Then cardio one day. The "No More trouble Zones is 40 minutes, less cardio, more "body sculpting." I like the combination. I completely recommend both.

by Anonymousreply 1207/13/2010

Jillian is not as mean as she is on TBL, but is firm with you and a good motivator.

I had to laugh at R3 mentioning that comment about the abs---the last day I did Level #1 I was so happy I didn't have to hear that again.

Today is the first day that I felt like my clothes are loose - I am starting to tighten up. And if my quads are ALWAYS sore, they must be shaping up.

I have heard good things about the No More Trouble Zones but I also bought Jillian's Yoga Melt and I am using that too. Somehow she has figured out how to make yoga hard.

This is my routine:

3 days of 30 Day Shread (20 minutes each) 1 day of Yoga Melt (30 minutes)

and repeat. So far, so good. My dog gets very concerned to hear me breathe like I'm dying and keeps bringing me tennis balls. By the end of the 20 minute shred, I usually have 5 or 6 tennis balls at my feet.

I can't imagine what Jillian has in store for me on Level #3--maybe I will chop off my leg with an axe? That sounds like a good cardio-compound strength move...

It's just 20 minutes!! I tell myself every day.

by Anonymousreply 1307/13/2010

Started again as i felt like the elliptical ( treadmill and stretching) wasnt doing everything i needed, and damn does it kill the front of my thighs. I do feel like I need to stretch properly for about 5-10 minutes before doing the workout though as her little warmup just doesnt do it for me. I only have about 15-20 pounds to lose; have lost about 30 since march, but these last few are being quite stubborn, so hopefully, this will kick start things a bit again. Thinking to do this 3 times a week and then the elliptical and treadmill 2-3 times week, alternating days. Does that sound reasonable?

by Anonymousreply 1407/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 1507/15/2010

Do you need any equipment to do the Shred?

by Anonymousreply 1607/15/2010

R14. The Primal Blueprint diet is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1707/15/2010

R16 just handweights and maybe a mat if your floor is hard.

It's a hard workout, but easy to implement.

by Anonymousreply 1807/15/2010

Thanks, R17...checked it out, and that is pretty much how I eat already, except I probably eat too much cheese. I don't really snack or eat large portions, but I could probably stand to fine-tune my diet a bit more, so that seems like a good guideline to look at.

I gained my extra weight after a really bad breakup, and I took to drinking and not moving around enough and gained about 45-50 pounds in 2 months.

Right now, I am 5'9" and a size 10/12. I need to be more like an 8/10, as that's the size where my body looks healthiest.

by Anonymousreply 1907/15/2010

For those of you who've done 30 day shred and p90x, do you think the former would be a good way to ease into the latter? I have about 25lbs to lose and need to tone up, but I'm worried I'm not quite in good enough shape for P90x.

by Anonymousreply 2007/15/2010

I've only done the Shred, but the P90X routine sounds like a huge pain in the ass. The schedule is so rigid, and the time commitment is considerably larger. I know people who do the P90X and they look great, but they grumble about the schedule and the grind.

To me, if you have the discipline to handle the P90X routine, you shouldn't be someone who needs it. Does that make sense?

by Anonymousreply 2107/15/2010

Bob Harper also has a series of exercise DVDs that just came out, something called the "Inside Out Method."%0D %0D I think he's a less annoying trainer, I but don't know how good these vids are. They look advanced. He has his own Yoga one as well. Link below.%0D %0D Anyone know when the hell he's going to come out, or when NBC will have an openly gay contestant on Biggest Loser. It's getting a bit ridiculous.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2207/17/2010

I can always use a good chest Y in my life.

by Anonymousreply 2307/18/2010

For all the love P90X gets, I really really like my old original P90 from like 2000 or 2001. A half hour a day--light weights/bands one day, cardio/calisthenics the next. Some basic yoga stuff too. Last time I got too heavy, this (and eating better) got things back on keel in a couple months.

by Anonymousreply 2407/18/2010

OK, you guys have convinced me to order it. Now I'm scared Jillian's going to hurt me. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2507/18/2010

I want to start this soon. I have 5, maybe 7 pounds to lose, and some toning to do.

by Anonymousreply 2604/04/2012

I have it and I haven't watched it at all. You guys have encouraged me to start tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 2704/04/2012

[quote]My dog gets very concerned to hear me breathe like I'm dying and keeps bringing me tennis balls. By the end of the 20 minute shred, I usually have 5 or 6 tennis balls at my feet.

That is an adorable story. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 2804/04/2012

Do it without weights to start and go easy the first week.i hurt my foot from the butt kicks and jumping jacks, now I've gotten let it heal.

I think even a slowed down 20 minutes is better than not doing it.

by Anonymousreply 2904/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 3009/08/2013

I need to shred some fat.

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

FYI- it's on YouTube, or at least it was the last I knew.

by Anonymousreply 3209/28/2013

I love the shred. But sometimes Jillian get really annoying.

by Anonymousreply 3302/28/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!