Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Cleveland, Ohio, a decent place to live?

I've received a job offer in Cleveland, Ohio. Is it a decent place to live.

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2013

Hell no.

by Anonymousreply 107/12/2010

Yes, in 1949.

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2010

I don't know from personal experience, but I recently read an article which set forth that Cleveland is one of the few cities in the country which never recovered from the Great Depression. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2010

Truly beautiful suburbs in the east. (There's a huge east/west division in the city).%0D %0D The winters are like something out of Dr. Zhivago.

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2010

Only if you can't get a better gig.

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2010

If you have a job in Cleveland, you're on your way to modest riches. Housing costs are among the lowest in the nation. the weather is crappy no matter what season, but that's just a years worth of adjustment. The northeastern 'burbs are the best.

Don't forget to ask for hazardous duty pay. Cleveland is very rough if you're white, supportive is you're moslem and just your cup of tea if you're black.

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2010

Taco Bell is hiring?

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2010

I heard it's Hot there.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2010

I's a lot bigger than I thought it would be.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2010

It used to be really big city, I'm not sure if the downtown shot even does it justice? I just look at that lake and think how frigid the winters are!

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2010

Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2010

Does the Cuyahoga River still catch fire on a regular basis?

by Anonymousreply 1407/12/2010

Is it safe?

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2010

If you live in the suburbs, it is a fineplace to live. The proliferation of independent restaurants and young chefs have led several food magzines to declare it an up and coming culinary city. The arts are very strong as are the health care facilities. weather-wise, living on the west side will shelter you from the huge snows of the winter. The summers are fine, much less humidity than cities farther south. Spring and fall are beautiful. Very affordable housing, especially if you are relocating from a large coastal city. Cleveland and northeastern Ohio is really the enclave of liberalism in the state; NBD if you are gay, whereas you would be strung up with Bible verses pinned to your chest if you were in southern Ohio. Don't listen to the stupid queens on DL - go visit and find oout for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2010

bump

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2010

Anybody out there actually live in Cleveland?

by Anonymousreply 1807/13/2010

no

by Anonymousreply 1907/13/2010

Which is why you are getting mostly snarky responses from the ignorant, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2007/13/2010

The northeastern 'burbs are nicest except for one thing: they are along a point in the Lake Erie shoreline that rises sharply north. Hence, the tend to get fully loaded lake effect snow dumped on them when storms move in from the west.

by Anonymousreply 2107/13/2010

Grew up there. Beautiful suburbs. SNOWY winters. Humid summers.Nice people.

by Anonymousreply 2207/13/2010

God, no!

by Anonymousreply 2307/13/2010

We lived in the halls of a certain concert venue for quite some time.

by Anonymousreply 2407/13/2010

I lived there for five years, in shaker heights, a great suburb just east of Cleveland. I miss it actually.

by Anonymousreply 2507/13/2010

Shaker Heights is absolutely beautiful--looks like a movie version of New England.

by Anonymousreply 2607/13/2010

Last time I was there (a year ago), there was a rather nice area that gays were gentrifying around downtown Cleveland, with the usual gay bars and restaurants. Not an ideal setting, and any New Yorker would sneer. But it seemed quite livable, if you lower your expectations some. The waterfront is often gorgeous.

And no, the Cuyahoga River does not catch fire. It's been cleaned up and is a real asset, with many parks.

by Anonymousreply 2707/13/2010

It's the Paris of Northern Ohio!

by Anonymousreply 2807/13/2010

Love Cleveland. Gay Games 2014, largest bathhouse in the world, gay suburb of Lakewood (well, sort of), nineteenth century shopping arcades, very cultured for the midwest, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2907/13/2010

OP,%0D %0D Live in Akron and love Cleveland. University Circle is gorgeous during the summer especially near the Wade Oval and Severance Hall. The burbs are more Mew England than New England. Great architecture all around the Northeast. Great Museum and an important one with so much to do year round with a membership. Lakewood is full of caring and really bright gay folks, too. The restaurants between Cleveland, Akron and Canton are getting the recognition they deserve. %0D %0D It didn't take me long to forget Boston when I moved back here. Everyday more and more people are so accepting of people. %0D %0D Crime is crime. If you look for trouble, you'll find it. Haven't been to the baths in years but always found cute boys to have fun with.%0D %0D Little Italy in Cleveland and the West side Market are my favorite places. Tremont District, Ohio City, the Flats are all fun and interesting. Very large black and hispanic community, but well mixed and I've never had a problem with crime. The cops are really cool with law abiding citizens, too. %0D %0D The theater district is the country's second largest. Always a show to see. Plenty of good Universities with the night life to complement as well. We like to think we are liberal but in reality, the democrats are still conservative. The kids today are changing a lot of old habits.%0D %0D With the internet, you van get anything delivered to your door and you can find some of the country's best antiques in Northeast Ohio. Need to get away? A Sunday drive through the Cuyahoga Valley Recreational Area will cure what ails you. A trip on route 303 will show you some houses you thought were only built during the Guilded Age. Plenty of flea makets, farmer's markets and grocery stores with everything.%0D %0D Get a car, though. You will need it to truly enjoy Northeast Ohio. Lots of festivals in the summer, too with some of the best county fairs in the country.%0D %0D Oh and we have water and plenty of it. It stays cool in the summer, too. You might see the sun over the winter but don't count on it.%0D Good road crews for snow removal and awful pot holes in the spring. Have good tires and prepare to have them replaced every two years.%0D %0D I'm from Ohio. I can live anywhere and like it.

by Anonymousreply 3007/13/2010

My Shaker Hts apt didn't have AC and I didn't really miss having it.

by Anonymousreply 3107/13/2010

The call it "The North Coast".

by Anonymousreply 3207/14/2010

It's a short drive to Ontario, Canada, where you can legally MARRY your partner!

by Anonymousreply 3307/14/2010

Very nice, seriously. Not as bad as many would think. No, it's not NYC, but it's got a lot going for it.

by Anonymousreply 3407/14/2010

Yes

by Anonymousreply 3507/14/2010

It's no Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 3607/14/2010

[quote]It's the Paris of Northern Ohio!

And I'm the Paris Hilton.

by Anonymousreply 3707/14/2010

[quote]It's no Pittsburgh.

lol

by Anonymousreply 3807/14/2010

Shaker Heights is great, with lots of sprawling Stockbroker Tudors and Colonial Revival piles (ripe for a Joan Allen film).

by Anonymousreply 3907/14/2010

Thanks r39, it looks nice. So is that where all of the rich people live?

by Anonymousreply 4007/14/2010

There's an amusing 30 Rock episode about how wonderful Cleveland is.

by Anonymousreply 4107/14/2010

I have a friend who lives in Hudson, south of the city. It's very much like a New England village, even a town square. John Brown once preached there. Very nice area.%0D %0D Case Western Reserve University is there, and so is the Cleveland Clinic, one of the best in the country.

by Anonymousreply 4207/14/2010

I live in metro Cleveland in Lake County. I spend lots of time in downtown Cleveland. Playhouse Square for plays, Severance for the Cleveland Orchestra, tons of high quality museums.

Housing is great in the burbs - Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Lakewook, Rocky River, and in the counties just east and south (Lake and Geauga). You can get HUGE homes for some of the lowest prices in the nation.

Local taxes are also low - at least outside the city proper. Food prices are great.

The weather is typical for the Great Lakes - hot and muggy in the summer, cold and blustery in the winter. The "snow belt" east of the city can get tons of snow.

Lake Erie is perfect if you like boating. The Cuyahoga river is very clean and they have cruises on it now.

Lots of parks in the metro area, some of the best public parks in the country.

Sure, the city has big city problems, but for your money, it's a perfect place to live. Also very gay friendly, maybe more so than any other big city.

by Anonymousreply 4307/14/2010

Why no love for Lakewood, the historic gay suburb? For the splendid old arcades? For the largest bathhouse in the world and the gay games 2014? For congressman kucinich?

by Anonymousreply 4407/14/2010

r44, we love all that too and as for Kucinich, one of the last great Progressives who actually marches down the street with his constituents and does things for the little guy.%0D %0D Dennis is OK in my book.

by Anonymousreply 4507/14/2010

"Also very gay friendly, maybe more so than any other big city."

Maybe indeed.

by Anonymousreply 4607/14/2010

h

by Anonymousreply 4707/15/2010

Not too many cities have front page coverage and politcal figures coming to the opening of a gay bathhouse. Of course, Republican politicians go on the sly, but these guys came to the opening ceremony. I though there would be pickets, etc. but the surrounding businesses welcomed it as another business taking over an abandoned bus terminal.

by Anonymousreply 4807/15/2010

I grew up in Cleveland and visit occasionally. It has it's up and downs, and more recently I would say it's in a DOWN period after having been voted the worst city in the country by Forbes?%0D %0D It's sad kind of. It has all the makings of a great city, but can never seem to quite pull it's act together. %0D %0D I grew up in Shaker Heights. The homes are quite breath taking. When I was a little kid we would drive Shaker Blvd pointing out all the "million dollar" homes. This was in the early 80s. Now some of those homes are going for HALF! that price. It's a great bargain if you can keep up with the taxes.%0D %0D Cleveland does have more of an east coast sensibility than a midwestern one. I would stick to the suburbs though. If you're in Cleveland proper, and driving at night, I would cruise through the red lights. Car jacking seems to be a favorite pass time there.%0D %0D Just FYI, most of my family has moved from Cleveland after having spent their entire lives there. None of them miss it. So that is telling.

by Anonymousreply 4907/15/2010

Whatever you do, do NOT move to the west side. Enclave of the Religious Right. If you must go west of the city, the Lakewood/Rocky River border has to be your stopping point.

by Anonymousreply 5007/15/2010

I love Shaker Heights.

by Anonymousreply 5112/21/2010

You'll shoot your eye out, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5212/21/2010

What was it about that city that attracted so many Lebanese people? With the winter snow and summer humidity, it seems the antithesis of Beirut.

by Anonymousreply 5312/22/2010

This is there and it's a blast!

by Anonymousreply 5412/22/2010

And to think that R55 wrote that enlightening missive so eloquently, despite having no teeth and a hood on his head. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 5612/22/2010

glad not to be anywhere near r55

by Anonymousreply 5712/22/2010

Any other Clevelanders (Clevelandites?) with information to share?

by Anonymousreply 5808/13/2011

You can't live IN the city, but if you like the burbs, you can survive. It would not be my first, or even tenth choice on a list to relocate, but there are cultural events and in any city you will have an enclave of smart, sophisticated people with good taste. Whether or not you're one of them remains to be seen, but they ARE there. The winters are harsh, the city is depressed and the wealth gap is so huge that it's like living in a time bomb. But fuck it, it's a job, right?

by Anonymousreply 5908/13/2011

OP you still haven't accepted that job offer?

by Anonymousreply 6008/13/2011

The Severance Gym is a hothouse of good-looking men in the showers, reason enough to live in Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 6108/13/2011

There was a bad smell but it turned out to be a serial killer's victims.

by Anonymousreply 6208/13/2011

What r43 said all those suburbs are great and beautiful and have amazing homes. Also just a little out into the countryside is Chagrin Falls.

It really does feel like the East Coast in those suburbs. Not mid western at all and it is kind of a disconnect from the Westside where you will feel the influence of the folks that have more sensibilities from Kentucky, West Virginia and other "Southern" states.

Don't know about what the one poster said about White people not being happy there unless he was talking about Cleveland in general. From my experience the Blacks and Whites in the suburbs mix effortlessly. One point of history is that Shaker Heights never had to go through a period of integration. The people that chose to buy homes there naturally integrated themselves and it has stayed that way.

I spent part of my childhood in Shaker then moved to NYC. I still have family there and I visit occasionally. But I unless I wanted to raise a family and have a selection of really top notch college prep schools to send my kids to, I wouldn't encourage anyone to move there. But the upside is you are not far from a bunch of great East Coast cities to visit when you need more stimulation.

The city of Cleveland has never risen to its potential because it is infested with corruption. The mafia is strong there and unlike Chicago which has grown and blossomed with all the bullshit that goes on, the crooks in Cleveland just suck all the money out to line their own pockets. They are small time thinking crooks and the city continues to languish.

by Anonymousreply 6308/13/2011

OP, as long as it's NOT East Cleveland, you should be ok.

by Anonymousreply 6408/13/2011

no, the winters alone.......

by Anonymousreply 6508/13/2011

Op, as someone said, you gotta take a trip there. If you actually have the money to buy a home, check on-line and connect up with a realtor. There may even be gay realtors there that advertise on the internet. This is a good way to go because a realtor will not only show you the best places to live that are commutable from where you would work, but he/she can also give you a whirlwind tour of what Cleveland has to offer you. Pictures don't mean much. For example, there's lots of pictures of downtown LA with crystal clear blue sky and snowcapped mountains in the distance. Guess how often it really looks like that? Usually only after 1 hell of a storm that pushes all the smog out to Pomona and Riverside (east of LA).

by Anonymousreply 6608/13/2011

"For example, there's lots of pictures of downtown LA with crystal clear blue sky and snowcapped mountains in the distance. Guess how often it really looks like that?"

I live in LA and chuckle every time I see that photo. LA almost NEVER looks like that and I've lived here for 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 6708/13/2011

I'm from there (Northern Ohio) and miss it somewhat. sure, there's the occasional ick factor in the outlying areas of strip malls, etc.

But that '30 Rock' episode is almost true.

An aside; I hooked up with a hot Clevelander on a visit home last year. His condo was HUGE, spacious, with a view, and a third of the price of mine in LA. I was envious.

Check out the Ohio gay newspaper; cute, up to date and a thriving scene in Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 6808/13/2011

I'll take that job if you don't want it OP. I'd love to live in Cleveland.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6908/14/2011

NO. DO NOT DO IT, OP.

Cleveland is where the crust of the earth broke open and hell jutted up into the physical world.

And the last time I was there, a homeless man was walking around downtown carrying a machete.

Just don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 7008/14/2011

Love those great Cleveland weekend getaways - Erie, PA & Buffalo!

by Anonymousreply 7108/14/2011

I'm being transferred to Cleveland from the East Coast.

Is Lakewood a good area to find a gay friendly condo and atmosphere?

What about a loft in the Warehouse district?

by Anonymousreply 7208/14/2011

Lakewood is a gay haven; extremely diverse city. Thw Warehouse District is fine, but doesn;t have a lot of the conveniences ( grocery stores, etc), since it is mostly restaurants and bars.

by Anonymousreply 7308/14/2011

Where did "The Mistake on the Lake" originate?

by Anonymousreply 7408/14/2011

"Anybody out there actually live in Cleveland?"

Yes! Well, I DID ( live in the' burbs now) Cleveland is a hidden gem! Does it have its issues? Yes---crime, industrial base is gone, strong ethnic / cultural divide ( West side vs. East side) but what major city DOESN'T have flaws? I was born & raised in Slavic Village, which is anything BUT Slavic now, unfortunately. You can still hear Polish / Slovak / Ukrainian and Russian still spoken occasionally. The cost of living is very low. You can buy / build a nice home in a great location for a fraction of what you would pay in many other metropolitan areas---NY, Chicago, parts of VA---and basic items such as food and clothing cost a LOT less! Cleveland is also home to first class museums and art galleys, the world famous Cleveland Orchestra, and---I know many of you will sneer and snark---many WONDERFUL cultural opportunities! The gay community is incredible, although most of it is centered in Lakewood, Ohio City, Tremont and Oberlin ( the nearby college town) I live in a beautiful house in a Western ' burb of Cleveland----on the shore of Lake Erie. My husband and I paid $210,000.00 for a waterside home. Bargain? Yep! Ok......the weather DOES suck in the winter ( thinking "Ice Age" is putting it nicely! ) but in the summer, you can swim, boat and jet ski on the lake. There several nice beaches to visit and some type of festival / event almost every week! Soooo, darlings.....you can HAVE NY, LA, Miami, etc! Me and my friends will stay in the "Best Location In The Nation" Well....we DO have The Browns, too! * hangs head in shame*

by Anonymousreply 7508/14/2011

Minneapolis is better.

by Anonymousreply 7608/14/2011

Minneapolis is in the heart of Republicanism. Praise Jesus that the people of Minnesota are God-fearing and know where true family values lie.

by Anonymousreply 7708/14/2011

That's one thing we can agree on, Michele. Minneapolis is a great place for God-fearing Republicans. BTW, Jesus told me to drop out of the presidential race.

by Anonymousreply 7808/14/2011

only if your preference is to be bored and to spend 4 months of the year inside an igloo.

by Anonymousreply 7908/14/2011

One thing that other posters haven't mentioned, and is a huge plus, is the people. Clevelanders have very little sense of civic superiority like New York, insecurity like Chicago or Philadelphia and weird jingoism like Pittsburgh. So a LOT less attitude (although a little from the East Siders. Even the Clevelanders who have emigrated to NY or Florida (and there are a bunch in both places) stay nice and unpretentious.

The Cuyahoga River is really the cultural Continental Divide between an East Coast and Midwest sensibility. Live in Shaker, you look to New England and NY. Live in Berea, you look to Chicago and Detroit. As a West Sider, I found the East Siders a little snobby. But we're surrounded by hillbilly trash from Pennsyltucky, so I guess their tendency to look at you like you just farted our your mouth when you say you're from Middleburg Heights or *gasp* Parma is warranted. This disappears when you are outside the city because everyone looks at us with the pity and amusement normally displayed toward Special Olympics participants.

There's absolutely no style to speak of, anywhere. One recent Christmas I was unable to find anything with a cashmere fiber in it in any store (although I didn't go to Beachwood Place). But that's great because it takes the pressure off. The food is pedestrian. But it's cheap and plentiful, and the Italian, Polish, and Slavic is wonderful. Brush up on your Polka, OP.

Did anyone post the famous Cleveland tourism viral video? Get's the entire cultural sensibility and sense of humor dead right. Here is part one:

by Anonymousreply 8008/14/2011

Yes, my brother does, and he loves it.%0D The people here are wonderfully friendly and very sports-minded.%0D %0D The Feds have camped out and are carrying out the corrupt party leaders to the tune of two a month. It is a huge scandal and people are excited about getting them out and propsects. Casino is being built, we have the Rock Hall of Fame, nice warehouse district of bars and restaurants. Housing is very nice and very affordable. Various wineries around the area, and if you have a boat, people live on them in the summer time. %0D %0D If you have a good paying job, there isn't anything you can't do. We are also within driving distance of Niagara Falls, which is awesome any time of year.%0D %0D I suggest you visit first and drive around the Eastern suburbs, as suggested.%0D %0D How much were you offered?

by Anonymousreply 8108/14/2011

My late partner, Frank, was from Cleveland, and the son / grandson of Polish immigrants. His "baba" ( grandma) was quite possibly the most open minded and coolest old lady ever.

About 30 years ago, when his aunt passed away, we attended her funeral together. Now, mind you, we weren't exactly out, but we weren't cowering in the closet either. I remember this tiny, wizened lady wearing a babushka and rolled down stockings who chain smoked Pall Malls. She came up to us at the funeral luncheon, reached up to pinch my face and said "You good boy, Teddy. You love Frank. Frank love you. Is ok! Is good! No every people for to marry, have baby. Is ok! You--EAT! Too skinny boy! No is good skinny!" We considered that a blessing and I cried as hard as Frank at her passing.

by Anonymousreply 8208/14/2011

What amount is considered "good paying"?

by Anonymousreply 8308/14/2011

Nowhere in Ohio is a "devcent place to live."%0D Living anywhere in Ohio is like living in the Dakotas...or Indiana. Why would you?%0D %0D If you've found a job, then go there. But remember, "decent" depends on what you can afford.

by Anonymousreply 8408/14/2011

amount for Cleveland anyway?

by Anonymousreply 8508/14/2011

[quote]And to think that [R55] wrote that enlightening missive so eloquently, despite having no teeth and a hood on his head. Well done.%0D %0D LOL! This is exactly how I pictured R55 while I read his post. %0D %0D No worries, Tea Bagger R55, no one wants to live anywhere near your smelly pig ass anyway.

by Anonymousreply 8608/14/2011

You can live quite nicely on $45K a year.%0D Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8708/14/2011

Oh, they also have Cedar Point and islands called Put-In-Bay where people party like Key West in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 8808/14/2011

Cleveland had one of the best car chases EVER on C*O*P*S.

by Anonymousreply 8908/14/2011

Why has no one mentioned Betty White?

by Anonymousreply 9008/14/2011

Betty and the girls live in Lakewood.

by Anonymousreply 9108/14/2011

Lakewood is the gay capital of Ohio.

by Anonymousreply 9208/14/2011

Had to Lol about the Mafia reference......yes maybe in the 60's and 70's..the are no more in Cleveland or maybe you mean the Russian Mob?

by Anonymousreply 9308/14/2011

R93, all the gays knew who Reuben Sturman was.%0D

by Anonymousreply 9408/14/2011

For the Cleveland mobster scene of the 60's and 70's, watch the movie about danny Greene, "Kill the Irishman". On the DVD there is a bonus of a documentary about cleveland in the 1960's and 1970's-mostly the 70's.%0D That said, Cleveland has some AMAZING museums.

by Anonymousreply 9508/14/2011

Reuben Sturman was a flat out hero to the gay community during the oppressive times which were also the golden era of porn and Steve Hirsch is carrying on with Vivid Video. So much so that they have come to the attention of antisemitic Arab propagandists (see link).%0D

by Anonymousreply 9608/14/2011

What would be that "decent salary" in Cleveland?

Does the depressed economy make it seem like $45k is actually a "decent" amount.

It can't possibly be a liveable wage.

by Anonymousreply 9708/17/2011

$45,000 is not a great salary, but you can live.The cost of living (real estate, etc) is relatively low, even in the suburbs. We sold a 750 sq ft. bungalow in LA and with that money bought a four-bedroom, three bath house on the lake with a large garage, WBFP, and hot tub.

by Anonymousreply 9808/17/2011

I find it so quaint when people mention museums and symphonies as a reason to move somewhere; as if y'all ever go more than once a year.

by Anonymousreply 9908/17/2011

Quaint as it may seem from the view down the nose, the presence of strong arts institutions in a city indicate a progressive presence in the otherwise conservative midwest.%0D %0D Cleveland has some significant arts organizations, The Cleveland Playhouse, The Cleveland Orhestra for example. The Cleveland Playhouse is the oldest professional resident theater in the country and has a national reputation. The Orchestra is an international presence and one of the worlds top orchestras.%0D %0D I have traveled to Cleveland many times and while the downtown is a total bust, their are pockets of the areas surrounding the downtown that are definitely survivable.

by Anonymousreply 10008/17/2011

I grew up in the burbs and haven't been back since the late 80s. Question for current (or recent) Clevelanders: How do you rate Michael Symon's restaurants, Lola and Lolita? Is the neighborhood where Lola is located (Tremont?)considered a decent place to live?

by Anonymousreply 10108/17/2011

You might consider Solon. It's in the SE corner of Cuyahoga County and frequently appears in those Top 100 places to live lists.

by Anonymousreply 10208/17/2011

Has anyone been to the Cleveland Fart Museum?

by Anonymousreply 10308/30/2011

"their are pockets of the areas surrounding the downtown that are definitely survivable."

But your illiteracy ain't.

by Anonymousreply 10408/30/2011

R103, the museum was closed and relocated to NYC, close to Wall Street, where gaseous excretions are a way of life.

by Anonymousreply 10508/30/2011

"Cleveland" meaning Cleveland proper or the metro area? No and yes, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 10608/30/2011

R106, Ohio City and Tremont are nice; they are in the city.

by Anonymousreply 10708/30/2011

My friend grew up there and said the trash people factor is second to West Virginia's and Florida's.

by Anonymousreply 10908/30/2011

As someone who lived in and around there....

It's not a bad place. There's a lot of nice places in the burbs, Lakewood is decent. It's not the gay mecca someone described it as above, but there does seem to be a generally friendly vibe in the bars and clubs there (versus Pittsburgh, which still seems to have this underground cloak of shame feel when you go out).

There's some nice places near the lake, and some great places to visit around. Erie is 90 minutes away, you're 2 hours from Columbus and Pittsburgh, and Chicago can be a nice 3 day weekend destination (quick flight, 5 to 6 hour drive).

There are parts that are a real dive. The Flats are showing their age, and big chunks of downtown office buildings are vacant. In the ever-continuing Pittsburgh vs Cleveland rivalry, Pgh has a more dynamic downtown and was able to switch from steel to tech years ago and stay in the game. Downtown Cleveland's suffered a bit since Standard Oil (now BP) moved their HQ out of town. It's not Detroit or Buffalo, though, and they're working on making things better.

Lakewood is a great area and the most gay friendly, though you do have to watch out for safety even there. You might also want to check out the lakefront area. Depending on your willingness to drive, there are some really nice areas around the city that are a 20-minute drive.

by Anonymousreply 11008/30/2011

[R97] The cost of living is very low in many eastern-time-zone industrial cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

45K Cleveland = 70K many other places.

My friend bought a beautiful house in Pittsburgh for 70K. The same house in Minneapolis would be at minimum 350-400K. In Chicago, 600K easily.

Yes, cost of living varies a LOT from city to city. Compare real estate and tangible items, not the price of a cocktail, and see.

by Anonymousreply 11108/30/2011

I spent part of my youth there. Got out as soon as the college acceptances came in.%0D %0D If you raise children there, and you're at least middle class, they will be insufferable. They will think Ohio is the center of the universe. They will have the most annoying accent known to man.%0D %0D I guess it depends where you're moving from, but if you're coming from an actual city, Cleveland will bore the hell out of you. %0D %0D A poster upthread was correct - you'll need a car, and you'll use it more often than you'd expect.%0D %0D Unless you have a major $$$$$ offer, I'd pass.

by Anonymousreply 11208/30/2011

Lived there for 10 while got PhD at Case... it's interesting in this add the place they recommend you visit is the Football Hall of Fame in Canton - over 1 1/2 hours away ...tells you something

by Anonymousreply 11308/30/2011

R113...The Football Hall of Fame is an hour drive from Cleveland, located at an exit directly off of I77. Well worth the visit. And yes, if you live in Cleveland, you'll need a car but that's part of the adventure...you'll get to see some of the most beautiful countryside throughout the whole state...great towns and cities and friendly people. Come with a positive attitude...you just might like this fly-over state.

by Anonymousreply 11408/30/2011

Cleveland Rocks (errr sucks)

by Anonymousreply 11508/30/2011

A good thread to remind folks there are good things about almost any place in the country IF you are adaptable to the weather. I've learned from hiring for big law firms that geography is a very hard thing to conquer - some people are open minded and seek a good time where they live or work, and they tend to be happy. Others always look for the shadows.%0D %0D From the outside perspective, Cleveland is an "old" city with many beautiful suburbs and a well-endowed infrastructure. But nothing lasts forever, and it's suffered economically from the downturn and is now a part of the Rust Belt. %0D %0D Ohio seems to vacillate between Republican and Democratic control, which may be nice for balance, but it's hard on businesses trying to predict what will happen next.%0D %0D So, OP, I'd say a lot depends on your other options, where you are now, and where you want to wind up. My sense is that Cleveland could be a very nice place to settle but might be hard to jump from there to another location later.%0D

by Anonymousreply 11608/30/2011

Solon was nice 20 years ago.....how it is now is disgusting, empty stores, homes and trashy people .

by Anonymousreply 11709/11/2011

R112, thank God you moved out. We've been a better place since that day.As far as thinking that it's the center of the universe or having annoying accents, you have never been to New York, have you?

by Anonymousreply 11809/11/2011

What is Case Western like?

by Anonymousreply 11909/11/2011

I was just in Cleveland for a conference at the Cleveland Clinic. Didn't get to see much of the city, but my overall impression was definitely mixed. The people I met were all very nice, friendly, and easy to chat with. But the city seemed very depressed, with lots of vacant lots and empty storefronts. The locals all warned me not to walk anywhere, just take a cab to specific destination and back. It sounds like there are a few pockets of decent neighborhoods surrounded by horrible areas with high crime. I think many US cities are struggling now with the recession, but Cleveland seems to be worse off than most. On the other hand, if we keep telling people not to move there, then the decline will surely continue. And, in spite of everything, while there, I kind of felt that Cleveland is worth saving.

by Anonymousreply 12009/11/2011

bump for Case Western

by Anonymousreply 12109/13/2011

Any cities is what u make it! I have lived here all my life im 40 yrs old making 82,000 per year and I have a beautiful historical home in the the hood as they say. My children are well round n are exposed to all the beauties of Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 12206/27/2012

I grew up in Cleveland all my life. An from east to west it's ghetto it's all about respect an how u make it be. Jus going off statistics were in the top ten most dangerous cities in America but there are some quiet areas in Cleveland eastside is mostly blacks Westside hispanics an blacks an whites. The westside is were the latin kings reside. theres alot of gangs on the east but l.k. Being nationally noticed is the most notorious gang on the west If I was a tourist I wouldn't waste my time coming here not much to see but abandoned buildings an homes it's similar to Detroit feels good not to be the only ones living like this.

by Anonymousreply 12310/12/2012

I lived in Erie PA (horrible, dumbass, ugly, homophobic place) in the 80s and went to Cleveland often on weekends for the gay life there. At that time it had some interesting places in the Flats and nearby was the absolutely great gay bar The Vaults with the cute bartender Big D with his fabulous ass which I smacked and pinched on numerous occasions. Next door was the Club Baths which was also a great place for wanton sex. I know the Vaults is no longer there and doubt if the Club baths are too but perhaps someone who lives there now can tell me if there is any scene left at all on West 9th St. The West Side Market was wonderful too with all the Jewish and Eastern European foodstalls.

by Anonymousreply 12410/12/2012

Chagrin Falls. Better than Shaker Heights.

by Anonymousreply 12510/12/2012

Does anyone know what happened to the Vaults?

by Anonymousreply 12610/13/2012

I've known the city for over twenty years, went to school there.

the city is indeed going down the tubes. BUT, if you must love there a neighborhood that is on the up is the Ohio City area, the near westside. A great brewery, the finest public market in the US and walkable within and without. I'd live there happily if I had to move back.

by Anonymousreply 12710/13/2012

PS--Does anyone know what happened to the Arcade downtown?

by Anonymousreply 12810/13/2012

R128 which arcade? Euclid or Colonial?

by Anonymousreply 12910/13/2012

[quote]the city is indeed going down the tubes.

Give me a fucking break. Cleveland isn't what it used to be. There are certainly worse places to be.

by Anonymousreply 13010/13/2012

I'm not sure r129, I think I remember it had the year 1894 on the keystone in its facade so I'm guessing Euclid (?).

by Anonymousreply 13110/13/2012

R131 Euclid arcade was converted to a hotel years ago. Beautiful building where I actually have lunch several times a month. Colonial arcade is still there but not as fab as the euclid arcade.

by Anonymousreply 13210/13/2012

Has anyone who doesn't have friends or family there, ever taken a vacation in Cleveland? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller. Bueller.

by Anonymousreply 13310/13/2012

I live in Cleveland, and it's absolutely amazing. I love it here, it's a great place to live, the weather is beautiful in the summer and there are some really nice towns just outside of the city.

by Anonymousreply 13411/27/2012

Me, I have R133. It's a cool place to visit, lots to see.

by Anonymousreply 13511/27/2012

Truth be told, Melbourne Australia is the best place to see Victorian shopping arcades. Not so grand as Italy's perhaps, but much more numerous.

by Anonymousreply 13611/27/2012

And not so ridiculously expensive as London's.

by Anonymousreply 13711/27/2012

No lived downtown all my life and I'm movin ASAP but if you are going there stay out of the east side

by Anonymousreply 13802/18/2013

Kisses to you, R82.

by Anonymousreply 13902/19/2013

[quote] The burbs are more Mew England than New England

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. By someone who lives in Akron, Ohio, and defends Cleveland while avoiding saying he lives there. This is without a doubt the most pretentious phrase ever uttered on datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 14002/19/2013

I lived in New England for 20 years. Moved to Cleveland a few years ago. I can't imagine ever going back to stay. This town has it.

by Anonymousreply 14102/19/2013

Cleveland is a great town with wonderful people. Very gay friendly. The 2013 Gay Games will be in Cleveland.

Cleveland is also a center for world class medical care. The city re-inventied itself long ago, realizing that the steel mills were on the way out and the area needed another industry to take it's place. Medicine took it's place and if you are looking for any career in that field, Cleveland is THE place to be.

Wonderful museums, wold class orchestra, the largest theatre district in the US outside of NYC.

Winters are tough weather-wise but the other seasons are fabulous, esp. summer by Lake Erie.

Cost of living here is very low and one can get a lovely home for a fraction of what one would have to pay in places like NY, Chicago, or LA.

Come to town for the gay games, everybody!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14202/19/2013

One of the main training centers for Olympic caliber figure skaters.

by Anonymousreply 14302/19/2013

Well, it's getting better, since Marvel seems to like to shoot movies there.... something to watch burn and explode, besides a house on Cleveland's East Side. And the big movie set ups don't cause many traffic jams, since there's not much traffic during normal rush hours there... The city keeps making the start of a come back, and getting almost to the top of the hill, and then something seems to happen and knock it back down again... if you want cheap nice housing, any $55,000 a year job will get you a decent place to live there, no traffic, and a Lake Front in the summer (only if you own a boat) as there seems to be few lake front parks, it will do.. Like some else already put it "if you don't have any better gig to go to, it'll do... Does seem to have great music events and venues though.. great concerts of all types...

by Anonymousreply 14405/22/2013

Don, are you here for the Captain?

by Anonymousreply 14505/22/2013

those three woman kidnapped and held in a house for 10+ years LOVED cleveland!!..so did that guy who murdered and burried prostitues in his back yard! Jeffery Dahmer s childhood home is here too, it might be for sale!.

by Anonymousreply 14605/22/2013

For the sort of person who would inquire about it here, Cleveland is a very good place to live.

by Anonymousreply 14705/22/2013

Jeffrey Dahmer was born in Wisconsin. When he was young, his parents moved to Bath, Ohio, which is close to Akron. Akron is not Cleveland.

by Anonymousreply 14805/22/2013

There is a fairly lively gay area downtown, as I know from visiting. They've reclaimed a fair number of blocks.

by Anonymousreply 14905/22/2013

Back in the 80s Cleveland had the best gay nightlife in the midwest. Better than Minneapolis or Chicago, and even better than Madison or Ann Arbor.

It's sad that the city has jumped limped along, gutted by corporate masters.

by Anonymousreply 15005/22/2013

Driving through Ohio, I always passed the North side of Cleveland and decided it was a shithole. It served as an appetizer for the long long journey of bland hell that is the Ohio highway system.

Then, a distant cousin died. In Cleveland. Somebody had to lead me through a gated subdivision wherein every identical house backed up to the golf course.

It was a supposedly better part of Cleveland and it looked like Lutherans had designed every house - brick & siding exteriors, lots of meaningless windows, orange wood interiors, and berber carpeting.

To me, Cleveland is Indianapolis without the peel&stick vinyl flooring.

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.