Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Smacking while eating.

What is this about? How can people not know they are doing it? Also, what is the psychological and/or physical motivation? Do you know anyone who smacks?

by Anonymousreply 8002/15/2015

Smack Their Faces! Smack Their Faces Viciously!!!

by Anonymousreply 207/11/2010

It is very uncouth and gross, and the sign of a very ill-mannered, poorly brought up person.

by Anonymousreply 307/11/2010

So gross, I have to get up and move away. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2010

People who aren't in the habit of breathing through their noses are forced to smack when they eat.%0D %0D Lots of people have nasal issues.

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2010

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2010

Why don't people around them keep at arm's length so they don't get slapped?

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2010

My step father does it. It's horrible. He has these weird lips that are totally flat where they meet each other, too. Every single meal, smack, smack, smack. It's revolting.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2010

I always make sure to smack vigourously when I eat, it simply makes the meal much more enjoyable!

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2010

r9, you deserved to be killed. Smacking or slurping, which is worse?

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2010

My dad does it sometimes. I visit my parents once a year and I often make an excuse not to eat lunch with them because of this. He also puts a lot of food on his fork, so he leans forward to catch all the food in his mouth before some falls back on the plate. I think the overloaded fork bothers me more than the smacking. I mean, it's not like the food will run away before he eats it.

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2010

R10, you deserve a better sense of self. You truly do.

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2010

I believe in smacking while I eat. I warn people who bruise easily to sit at the end of the table. And I never dine with hemophiliacs

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2010

R11 = typical ill-mannered gross bore

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2010

Let's all try it and see if it makes the food better.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2010

I feel that you all should really chill out. The obvious answer if the offenders are close or are family is, just ignore it. If in public, relocate to a different area/table. Simple...your neurosis is solved. Next!

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2010

My parents always insisted on no smacking. And "please" and "thank you."

And we were poor. What happened to "good breeeding," poor or wealthy?

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2010

I smacked and slurped until I was 16. I was never told any differently, had no idea I was doing anything wrong.

Similarly, I had never known that you're not supposed to sniff if your nose is running, that you're supposed to blow your nose instead. I had always assumed that sniffing was preferable to letting your nose just run.

Then I spent a year with a German family as an exchange student. I emerged from that experience with a fresh new set of manners.

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2010

Actually, R11, sometimes the food will run away before you can eat it.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2010

[quote]The obvious answer if the offenders are close or are family is, just ignore it.

Just. Not. Possible.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2010

People who smack their food while eating are disgusting pigs. They also chew with their mouth open and talk while eating....letting food fall out of their mouths. Ugh! It makes me want to vomit.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2010

My partner had lovely table manners in his twenties. Then, he spent three years on the road with an old blues gypsy. Now, he slurps soup from three inches of the spoon, vacuuming it up from a good distance away, smacks, and chews with his mouth open.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2010

R19, actually it's the other way around. Any ear/nose/throat doc would tell you to avoid blowing your nose unless absolutely necessary. It's traumatic to your turbinates.

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2010

My former best friend used to do this constantly. He sounded like a pig at the trough. I knew he knew better too because he wouldn't do this whenever we went to a restaurant. Only when in private. I could understand if he was some churlish teen but he was in his 30s for god's sake.

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2010

My roommate does this when drinking juice. I asked him why, and he told me it tastes better.%0D %0D Same thing when eating chocolate. So fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2010

My mother shovels huge pieces of food into her mouth to the point where are cheeks look like a blowfish and she also talks with her mouth full. It's so gross and my sister and I have chided her about it numerous times. I remember going to family holiday dinners and people looking at my mom like she was crazy. I find it even more bizarre because she is so well kept in everything else.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2010

I am as intrigued as I am repulsed by it. I feel like I am missing out on something by not smacking and yet it makes me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 2907/12/2010

I was sitting here trying to deal with the sound of my partner eating a salad, and I googled "smacking while eating," and here was this thread in which I complained about him nearly two years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3004/17/2012

People who smack while eating don't have any manners. It's obvious no one ever taught them how to eat properly. Give them a break, they don't know any better. They're trash

by Anonymousreply 3104/17/2012

Most people know they do it and I think they just don't care and actually do it because they want to annoy people. They smack their food like a baby and privately wish someone would say something so they can just smack louder. It's manipulation, plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 3204/17/2012

You're all such a bunch of delicate hothouse orchids.

by Anonymousreply 3304/17/2012

Are you published, R34? You should be.

Until I was hopelessly distracted by R34, I was going to say that slurping (slightly different than smacking but no less offensive) must be customary in Korea. I've known several people who came to America from Korea who do this at every meal, formal & casual, unless someone kindly & privately explains that this is not our custom. They also tend to tuck their napkins in their collars, like lobster bibs.

by Anonymousreply 3504/17/2012

I live in Scandinavia now and for all the vaunted social welfare and progressivism, they have the most appalling food habits. Smacking, chomping, clanging cutlery on plates, scraping, hovering. You'd think they were a bunch of heathen Vikings.

by Anonymousreply 3604/17/2012

r19, I think you hit the nail on the head. The offender might not be aware. Who would feel comfortable telling someone that? One of my old friends does it. He was raised upper middle class and attended an Ivy League university. He's skinny, too. I've never been able to tell him - too uncomfortable. One would have to rely on a family member/spouse/partner. It's somewhat annoying, but I can live with it.

by Anonymousreply 3704/18/2012

I had a roommate who used to do this. He told me that it made food taste better. He was my last roommate...

by Anonymousreply 3804/18/2012

Bravo r34!

by Anonymousreply 3904/18/2012

I had an elderly co-worker who would eat at his desk and smack away. He also would snort when he wanted to clear his nose. That happened at least a few times a week. So. Fucking. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 4004/18/2012

>>> You're all such a bunch of delicate hothouse orchids.

No, we're just not trash. We just don't understand why you INSIST on eatting like an animal. Your parents must be really primitive if they didn't teach you the most basic table manners when you were a child, but just because they are low class doesn't mean you have to be. Learn from this. Civilized adults don't eat like this

R34 must work at the same company as I do. He/she is telling the truth

by Anonymousreply 4104/18/2012

This is concerning "smacking food". My reply is to the person that says to smack their faces, smack their faces viciously. There is a solution to almost everything and that's not the way to do it. If it's your child smacking their food you certainly don't smack them in the face. We can talk to our children about this type of mannerism and make it better from there. I have never smacked my child in the face for anything that he has done and I never will. Smacking someone in the face is totally inappropriate!!!

Sharon in Arkansas

by Anonymousreply 4206/18/2012

Of course I know someone who does that….

by Anonymousreply 4306/19/2012

r35 I live in Korea and Koreans are simply uncouth. They also push and shove, spit everywhere, and drive like maniacs. We call them peasants in suits. I'm sure they have some choice names for us, too - but at least I can eat like an adult, not a toddler! (I have lived all over Asia and this has not been a common occurance. Thais especially have great table manners.)

by Anonymousreply 4506/19/2012

My mother was rigid in her teaching of table manners and sitting up straight. NO SLOUCHING EVER. I'm grateful now too. She was poor when young but her family at least had good manners and grooming.

by Anonymousreply 4706/19/2012

R42, I think you are on the wrong board. You might be better off on a Million Moms board or something. There's a lot of hyperbole on this board, and you clearly can't discern it.

Worse than smacking to me is chewing (and especially crunching) with one's mouth open. I have a co-worker who eats carrots during meetings and crunches away with his mouth open. It is disgusting. He also has bad allergies and hocked a loogie once into a garbage can during a meeting! I couldn't believe no one said anything, particularly the team leader. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 4806/19/2012

I hope Sharon in AK is not real. No one could be that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 4906/19/2012

R34, you made me weep with laughter! Thank you!

I arrived to this forum while trying to figure out why my wonderful husband has this marriage-threatening flaw.

Whoever chalked up smacking to an inability to breathe through the nose while eating....have you ever considered coming up for air? Try it sometime, it is quite simple. Pause the chewing, part your lips barely to let air in, inhale, and resume chewing quietly after closing your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5007/14/2012

My Korean coworker does slurp his soup. And never flying Korean air again. Even grandmas elbows and shoves.

by Anonymousreply 5107/14/2012

I'm some countries, such as Japan, slurping in a noodle house is to show the chef their appreciation for the food. This only applies to noodle house, not in other settings. So, each Japanese gets turned into a Hoover vacuum cleaner sitting in the noodle house. If you close your eyes, you think you are at the ocean.

But smacking is just utterly disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 5207/14/2012

[quote]hocked a loogie once into a garbage can during a meeting!

OMFG that is disgusting!

If someone did that in front of me (especially at a business meeting), I think I would barf, I really do.

by Anonymousreply 5307/14/2012

Remember on I Love Lucy when Fred said, Ethel smacked her lips like a cow. And then Lucy said, "Yeah you do chew like a cow." And then Desi said "Mia ca-knee-ah..." and they all ganged up on Ethel.

Then as they pulled into Albuquerque Ethel decided to get her revenge.

by Anonymousreply 5407/15/2012

People who smack and slurp while they're eating sound like dogs licking their own genitals.

by Anonymousreply 5501/29/2013

I was recently at a sushi bar and was completely surprised as I watched a guy, in his early-twenties, and in college (I gathered this from his sweatshirt and conversation) who not only smacked his food, slurped his soup, talked with his mouth open, and regularly had food drop from his mouth to his plate.

I couldn't understand how someone gets to be that age and is completely unaware of how disgusting his eating habits are.

I was also confused by why the person he was with, looked like a father or an uncle, did not tell him to stop.

by Anonymousreply 5601/29/2013

R50 & R54 you are my two new besties!! My hubby does this and had a nasal passage injury. I agree that there is a way to learn not to smack food via this breathing method. I know BC when I was a kid I had enlarged adnoids and also had a hard time breathing thru my nose. After my mother chided me relentlessly I learned this method. Eventually my face grew into my adnoids but I still know this is something that just takes the desire and effort to learn.

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2013

A woman at work does this..... LOUDLY. And clips her toe nails over the waste basket. She brings in left over KFC and it is like the 7circles of hell.

by Anonymousreply 5906/02/2013

"She's my mother!" *Pish!* "She's my sister!" *Pish!* "She's my mother!" *Pish!* "Please pass the peas!" *Pish!*

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2013

My best friend does it,and is aware and doesn't give a shit,his kid does it too. When we go out for dinner it sounds like someone stirring chowder in a rubber boot.

by Anonymousreply 6101/19/2014

One of the administrative assistants in my office did this for years with gum, chewing it and smacking out of the side of her mouth. I found it beyond gauche. I don't know if someone finally said something to her, but she doesn't chew gum in the office anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6201/19/2014

I know all about smacking while eating? It's guaranteed to happen to me on rare steak night.

by Anonymousreply 6301/19/2014

I worked with a guy - the manager, actually - who ate like this. It was a furniture store and he would do this just out of sight but not beyond hearing. The sound was unbelievable, slurping and smacking. Customers would ask what that sound was, and I would just shrug. I never said anything to him because I think anyone over the age of 6 should know better. But he was an asshole anyway so I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 6401/19/2014

There is no excuse for this kind of thing. Anyone who does this knows exactly what they are doing, have been told by others to please stop but they continue doing it. People who do this are passive aggressive, inconsiderate and ill mannered. They don't deserve to eat with other adults. I'm an American living in the middle east. Don't even ask. I refuse to eat out anywhere, ever. A pig is a pig is a pig.

by Anonymousreply 6501/19/2014

I hate smacking, especially when it's accompanied by those moaning notes of pleasure many women seem to associate with the acme of life's satisfactions. Meaning fast food and sugar.

by Anonymousreply 6601/19/2014

My roommate does it and it is one of the most obnoxious things in the world. Especially since she is always eating. But after living with her for a year now and meeting her parents I know why she smacks. She eats, as my grandfather would say, like a cow. And shovels food. What I mean by "eating like a cow" is she eats with her mouth open so the person with her must watch the horrible show of her food and listen to it. What I find the best things to do are to ignore it in public, try not to eat alone with her in a quiet place, don't watch, and lastly and most importantly is to put headphones on and just listen to music.

And as for slurping, I tend to ignore it anymore as it is a socially accepted thing in some culturessuch as asian cultures. But again if it annoys then the best remeby is headphones and music.

by Anonymousreply 6705/21/2014

People don't mean to do it and other people need to be more polite when responding to smackers. As one who does and does not mean to it really hurts to see comments like this. I hate that I do it and I honestly don't know how not to do it, why don't you people saying "Smack those who smack" have some MANNERS YOURSELF?!

by Anonymousreply 6802/15/2015

It's repulsive and regressive. In civilised societies only infants get away with slurping and smacking and oohing and aahing as they are consuming food or drink. From the age of about 2, a child should be trained by its parents to eat in a dignified way that is considerate of others. They are called 'table manners' and people who don't possess them should be challenged.

by Anonymousreply 6902/15/2015

R68 that's like claiming someone 'doesn't know' they are coughing loudly or spitting. Of course a person damn well knows they are slurping or smacking as they eat, unless they are learning disabled or deaf. The world is simply divided into people who exercise restraint and show consideration for others, and those who do not.

by Anonymousreply 7002/15/2015

[quote] The offender might not be aware

When I first met my husband I told him that his table manners were appalling to me. He cleaned it up a little. But as the years went by, he got messy again. I politely asked him not to make grunting noises when he eats and to be aware of food smeared on his face. His response; "It's not important. What's important is that I am a good person."

I said, "You can be a good person who has good table manners. The two are not mutual,y exclusive."

"You make a big deal out of nothing."

"Manners aren't nothing. They're behaviours we adopt so we don't offend others."

He didn't care. Also refused to teach his son table manners. "It's not important. He's a good person."

I don't eat with them.

by Anonymousreply 7102/15/2015

I could not go on a second date with a slurper/smacker, let alone marry one.

by Anonymousreply 7202/15/2015

R44, one can shoot meth, too. You might like to try it.

by Anonymousreply 7302/15/2015

Like when people fart at the dinner table...just ignore it.

by Anonymousreply 7502/15/2015

I worked in a furniture store...oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 7602/15/2015

For the people complaining about the Vicious Face Slappers:

The Slapper is one or more people who occasionally post this message, perhaps to highlight how inconsequential the OP's (or others) complaints are. I think it's quite funny, even though my e-face was slapped viciously on one occasion. I hope I don't get my face slapped viciously again by writing that this post is usually not meant to be taken seriously.

Likewise, the grease fire thing is also not to be taken literally, nor is the "I wish you get cancer" comment.

by Anonymousreply 7702/15/2015

i think it's almost like a tic, a form of a seizure specifically a petit mal type. As many are unaware they are even doing it. Don't be mean to them. My pa pa did it, when i was a child, and hewas diagnosed with end stage renal disease secondary to metal toxicity from Rheumatoid arthritis treatment. I miss him every day.

by Anonymousreply 7802/15/2015

OP, look up the word 'misophonia'.

by Anonymousreply 7902/15/2015

Go to an old school Jewish Deli and you can't avoid liver lipped old people eating egg salad sandwiches with their mouths open. I once broke up with an other-wise great boyfriend because he smacked his lips while eating. He was a mouth breather and had sticky saliva too. I just couldn't over look it.

by Anonymousreply 8002/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!