Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It''s official, Ed Norton is a pain in the ass!

Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige:%0D %0D "We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. %0D %0D The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

by Anonymousreply 8705/29/2014

Ugh, he is incredibly self absorbed. The stories of him giving notes to screenwriters, directors and editors are well known in the business. And he has been like this for a long time. The director of American History X called him 'a narcissistic dilettante' and I personally heard the brilliant editor Alan Heim tell a story of how Norton came to the editing room of American History X and when Heim reached out his hand and introduced himself Norton stood back and said:"You missed every single nuance of my performance," and then pretended that Heim was not in the room. He had Heim fired from the film. I guess the producers woke up to the fact that Norton pulls this shit not out of some artistic purity, but because he is an asshole. A talented one, but still an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 107/11/2010

by Anonymousreply 207/12/2010

I heard he is grom a rich family. Entitlement issues.

by Anonymousreply 307/12/2010

Ouch! That was an extremely bitchy press release. Ed Norton must be reeling from that slap on the face.

by Anonymousreply 407/12/2010

After reading R1's post, Norton more than deserves that bitchy press release along with the public humiliation, what a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 507/12/2010

Norton's agent strikes back!!

by Anonymousreply 607/12/2010

And he's not that talented, either. %0D %0D Other than the repellent "American History X", has he ever given an outstanding film performance?

by Anonymousreply 707/12/2010

Oh, please--I have no doubt that MOST actors are this way. And we only have ourselves to blame as we (as a country) worship fame and Hollywood. %0D %0D BTW--Norton is a talented actor.

by Anonymousreply 807/12/2010

He still should have won the Oscar for Primal Fear over Cuba

by Anonymousreply 907/12/2010

I think he really is talented, R7. I grant that he's a dick, but I love his performances in lots of movies: Primal Fear, People vs. Larry Flynt, Fight Club, The Illusionist, Painted Veil...

I'd be disappointed if his dickishness prevented him from making more movies. But Marvel certainly doesn't need him.

by Anonymousreply 1007/12/2010

Not in any way defending Ed Norton, but didn't Alan Heim get fired from HBO's Grey Gardens too?

by Anonymousreply 1107/12/2010

Ouch.

I hope he had to buy out his contract, as Marvel Studios built franchise language into their contracts even before Incredible Hulk and Iron Man even were successful enough to launch a franchise.

Am I remembering wrong, or didn't he throw some trantrum about not doing publicity for Hulk unless it was edited to his exacting standards?

by Anonymousreply 1207/12/2010

Why is it the least interesting actors are always the most anal pain?

by Anonymousreply 1307/12/2010

Isn't it a bit bizarre for an actor to try to tell the editor how to edit?

Acting and editing are rather distinct and separate art forms.

Did Norton go to film school? How is it he knows so much about editing?

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2010

I heard he was a respected, sought after script doctor too.

by Anonymousreply 1607/12/2010

[quote]Am I remembering wrong, or didn't he throw some trantrum about not doing publicity for Hulk unless it was edited to his exacting standards?

I think he did a rewrite on the scrip, too. I don't understand why Norton doesn't make his own films instead of "fixing" other people's work.

by Anonymousreply 1707/12/2010

This stems from Norton refusing to promote "Incredible Hulk" because several scenes were cut to shorten the running time.

Why was Edward so upset that some scenes got left on the cutting room floor, as is wont of almost every picture? Well, because in order to bring Norton on board for the picture, the producers allowed him to REWRITE THE ENTIRE SCREENPLAY.

by Anonymousreply 1807/12/2010

I thought Norton was Executive Producer for Hulk. I know he was very involved with the making of it aside from acting. Norton needs to produce and direct his own movies. Period. %0D %0D Because he was very intimately involved with Hulk, he probablyv feels proprietary about it in a way Robert Downey, etc. wouldn't. Due to Norton's penchant for being overbearing and overreaching anyway, He probably had "ownership" issues and wouldn't play nice. %0D %0D They said he had a problem playing nice in the "ensemble setting" they were creating. As if they were making great art! What a fucking crock! He just wanted poor Hulk to get his props! %0D %0D Marvel will fuck this movie up like they did Iron Man II and Watchmen. It's all about special effects and Box Office. Norton's version of Hulk was a very good movie. He should make a sequel.

by Anonymousreply 1907/12/2010

He's not that great of an actor. He uses the same whiny inflection in every role.

by Anonymousreply 2007/12/2010

Finally! The stupid little bitch got what she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 2107/12/2010

[quote]Marvel will fuck this movie up like they did Iron Man II and Watchmen.

I will not see Iron Man II until it is released for home viewing, so I can't comment on that part, but since Marvel had nothing to do with Watchmen, a DC comic, I don't quite follow.

Additionally, Watchmen wasn't made by DC either. Marvel's film production is in-house now.

by Anonymousreply 2207/12/2010

[quote]And he's not that talented, either.

Not to mention that fugly, fugly face of his. His body is okay when he works out. That he managed to get work with that sneering, dopey, chinless, slightly inbred-looking face is a mystery to me.

And he's completely overrated as an actor. He's okay, but he certainly should not be counted among the greats.

by Anonymousreply 2307/12/2010

Iron Man II was fine for what it was. They certainly did not "fuck up" any sort of premise: it was incredibly true to the spirit of the comics (other than Robert Downey Jr.'s performance, which is not the Tony Stark of the comics--in the comics he has about zero sense of humor--but was still vastly entertaining).

by Anonymousreply 2407/12/2010

I forgot to say that years ago I saw an audition tape with Norton and his then girlfriend Courtney Love. He was approached to do this film and he was going to do it only if Courtney played his love interest. Courtney was awful, by the way, and the producers went with different actors altogether.

by Anonymousreply 2507/12/2010

The Incredible Hulk doesn't need to be in The Avengers film, anyway. I'm not sure if he was a charter member, but the roster of Avengers changed many times over the years.

Obviously, you need Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor. Are they planning to have Vision? Wasp? Scarlet Witch? Was Medusa the Inhuman ever an Avenger? How about Silver Surfer?

by Anonymousreply 2607/12/2010

His response

by Anonymousreply 2707/12/2010

[quote]I'm not sure if he was a charter member, He was. Cap was not.

by Anonymousreply 2807/12/2010

Norton is an egotistical, self- absorbed, full of himself prick. I could care the fuck less how "alledgedly" talent the guys is, nor does it matter. An asshole is an asshole. I like how everybody keeps using that as a crutch, too. %0D "Oh, so he is talented???" My bad - I guess it makes it ok to be a total douchebag to the entire production crew and cast then, fucking up production 6 ways from sunday, all under the misconstrued illusion that the movie is all about YOU . . . . . And yeah - the guy is NOT good looking enough, (nor talented enough), to make it as a Hollywood "A list" actor. Sorry fanboys . . . . .

by Anonymousreply 2907/22/2011

I knew Ed a long time ago, before he got famous. And I liked him. So the way I'm inclined to read all this is, yeah he's not a typical Hollywood type obsessed with the bottom line above all other considerations. And while I'd concede that what is described is unprofessional, that's also refreshing. He's more of the old-fashioned, well-rounded type. I barely knew that he was acting in college, because he was involved in so many other things (Japanese language classes come to mind) at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 3007/22/2011

Someone here years ago posted that they saw Norton in NYC acting the fool, ie, talking with a black ghetto accent and just b

by Anonymousreply 3107/22/2011

"Someone here years ago posted that they saw Norton in NYC acting the fool, ie, talking with a black ghetto accent and just b" R31, did Ed Norton just break into your place as you were typing your post? Are you safe?

by Anonymousreply 3207/22/2011

My post got cut off for some reason but you get the gist of it.

by Anonymousreply 3307/22/2011

Funny, R32

by Anonymousreply 3407/22/2011

Ed Norton is known to give notes to fellow actors and staff on how to do things.

by Anonymousreply 3507/22/2011

Another star with an inflated ego, this why they never last long in the business.

by Anonymousreply 3607/22/2011

R36, he's lasted quite a long time. It's the ones who can't act or are only known for their looks, that don't last long (like Meagan Fox).

by Anonymousreply 3707/22/2011

Y'all don't know him, r32. Y 'all just slammin things, dude.

by Anonymousreply 3807/22/2011

Russell Crowe is another example. By all accounts, he's an absolute pain in the ass, but the man can act.

by Anonymousreply 3907/22/2011

His only official directorial effort was that piece of shit movie where he played a priest fighting over Jenna Elfman with trogoldyte Ben Stiller. Dreadful movie. He's hardly one to criticise others.

by Anonymousreply 4007/22/2011

How many drugs was he on back in his Courtney Love days?

by Anonymousreply 4107/22/2011

I would assume that actors like Ed Norton and Russell Crowe will get pardoned for bad behavior, but someone like Jessica Alba? Ah, no.

by Anonymousreply 4207/22/2011

Ed Norton is the male equivalent of Ashley Judd. Both seem incredibly smug and insufferable and have an inflated sense of importance. In fact, they should make a movie together and have David O. Russell direct. Just imagine all the horror stories that would come from that set!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4307/22/2011

I think he's a talented actor. From what I understand he likes movie productions to be done the HE wants them to be, and he can be pushy about it. No doubt that's a pain in the ass for a lot of people.%0D %0D His relationship with Courtney Love was just plain bizarre. He's educated, disciplined, intelligent and came from a stable, well-to-do family. She's the product of hippie parents, a psychotic, ugly, druggie whore who glommed onto Kurt Cobain and drove him to kill himself. Or maybe she had him killed; she seems to be capable of anything. What did he SEE in her? Love's mother said that he "made a project of her." I guess that was it; he thought he was Professor Higgins and she was Eliza Dolittle. He tried to make a lady out of her. He failed miserably. %0D %0D After an unflattering article about Love was published in The New Yorker Norton wrote a shrill, mildly hysterical letter defending her. I guess that was during his "project."%0D %0D Love tried out for the role of Marla Singer in "Fight Club" but didn't get it, even with Norton in her corner. I guess it seemed right; Marla Singer is an insane slut and Courtney Love is an insane slut, so she should have been perfect, right? Nope. She wasn't talented enough. The role required ACTING, and Love was never an actress. She would just be herself in whatever role she was in. %0D %0D To this day Love continues to associate herself with Norton, even though their relationship ended years ago. She said he is the love of her life, not Kurt Cobain. She said he was more of a father to Frances Bean "than Kurt ever was." She claimed he stole $300,000 from her. Her most recent babbling was that is engaged to his girlfriend (his publicist said not). Of course it was all about HER; she said "I wonder what kind of ring he gave her? He gave me a ruby." Sure he did, Courtney. I think getting involved with her is one of the biggest regrets of Ed Norton's life.

by Anonymousreply 4407/22/2011

[quote]His only official directorial effort was that piece of shit movie where he played a priest fighting over Jenna Elfman with trogoldyte Ben Stiller. Dreadful movie. He's hardly one to criticise others.%0D %0D That WAS terrible. But he did it as a favor to a college classmate of ours who needed a start in the industry and wound up writing The Kids Are All Right.

by Anonymousreply 4607/22/2011

go away yaley

by Anonymousreply 4707/22/2011

I get the feeling that Ryan Gosling is going to start getting the parts that would've gone to Norton if he was younger.

by Anonymousreply 4807/22/2011

The only thing I've liked him in was Down In The Valley. But he's incredibly hard to look at and sounds impossible to work with. Maybe he should just put on solo shows off-off-Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4907/22/2011

Hm. A friend of mine is working on it, but won't be back in town until October. I"ll get the scoop when they're back. They did say that the actor playing Loki was quite lovely.

by Anonymousreply 5007/23/2011

R45, it's confirmed that it's Mark Ruffalo, right?

by Anonymousreply 5107/23/2011

I used to like Norton him until I found out from reliable sources about him being a major douchebag when working with others. No wonder Hollywood hates him and he hasn't done a decent movie since the late 90's.

by Anonymousreply 5205/23/2013

[quote]Or maybe she had him killed;

You lost me there.

Dumbest "conspiracy theory" ever.

by Anonymousreply 5305/23/2013

Tom cruise as the hulk!

by Anonymousreply 5405/23/2013

Mark Ruffalo was a much better (and hotter) Bruce Banner.

Norton has really nosedived his career, huh?

by Anonymousreply 5506/03/2013

The only thing I want Mark Ruffalo to do is get in my bed naked.

by Anonymousreply 5606/03/2013

But I've heard his ass is still very pale, and his tight little hole (he must do exercises) is silky-smooth all the way up. But he only does doggy style, because he doesn't like eye contact during sex.

by Anonymousreply 5706/03/2013

No sane person wants to work with that control freak Norton, he's a nobody.

by Anonymousreply 5806/03/2013

A whole thread full of Ralph Kramdens!

by Anonymousreply 5906/03/2013

It was so odd last year when he went on The View talking about "his" off-Broadway theatre. He said it was like a 34 million dollar complex with three spaces or something like that. Finally after a while of making it all about him...Barbara said something like now this is YOUR theatre and he was like well the Signature Theatre of which I'm a member.

by Anonymousreply 6006/03/2013

He was the best thing in the Avengers, faint praise though that may be.

by Anonymousreply 6106/03/2013

I thought Norton was fantastic in 25th Hour. I know nothing of his "difficult" reputation, but chatted with him in a group at the annual Enterprise Community Partners gala a few years ago. Enterprise is an affordable housing/community development organization founded by his grandfather, James Rouse. They do great work and Norton, who is on the Board and worked there when he was younger, was thoroughly well-versed in, and dedicated to, their mission. He's donated a lot of money to their developments and influenced their adoption of environmentally sustainable construction as a operational tenet. He was completely approachable and interested in chatting with gala attendees, many of whom were far from wealthy or glamorous. I've liked him ever since, and give him the benefit of the doubt in this instance.

by Anonymousreply 6206/03/2013

But Trixie always seemed so sweet and nice.

by Anonymousreply 6306/03/2013

I'd give him a pain in the ass, just like the way he got one in the American History X shower.

by Anonymousreply 6406/03/2013

I get him mixed up with Ed Burns.

by Anonymousreply 6506/03/2013

[quote]I know nothing of his "difficult" reputation,

Then you clearly don't live in Hollywood. Very few people will cast him anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6606/03/2013

Raving prima donna. I know someone who was a grip on one of his films--"The Painted Veil"--and said he was impossible. EVERY scene he was in was life and death, and you would have thought that the screenplay was written by Proust.

From what I have been told despised in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 6706/03/2013

Bullshit. Meticulous and difficult, but nobody in the business hates people like that - they hate idiots that blow in and out, reading their lines with stupid winks. Obsessives at least care.

Marvel fucked him over and it's well documented. He wanted to retain some pathos in the character and all Marvel wanted was big smashing fights. Later Iron Man would mine this to the tune of billions.

by Anonymousreply 6806/03/2013

He's a loser that's why nobody wants to work with a bossy drama queen like Norton. Plus he's a shitty actor.

by Anonymousreply 6910/05/2013

He's a dream to work with! We play golf all the time at Polo Lounge. He lives on a cul de sac!

by Anonymousreply 7110/18/2013

I like his acting more than I would like viewing yet another comic book movie.

by Anonymousreply 7210/18/2013

He's a pain in the ass. End pf story.

by Anonymousreply 7310/18/2013

He and Val Kilmer = Biggest douchebags

by Anonymousreply 7410/19/2013

Kilmer is a bigger douchebag and has no legacy to show for his silliness.

Norton has been able to parlay a tiny frame and a pussy voice into some memorable performances, at least.

by Anonymousreply 7510/19/2013

Kilmer has no legacy? If nothing else, he is genuinely hilarious in 'Real Genius' - some unusual line readings and interpretations there.

by Anonymousreply 7610/19/2013

He could have been one of the best actors of his generation. Pity. God knows why Wes Anderson keeps casting him. Maybe he used to masturbate to the shower rape scene in AMERICAN HISTORY X.

by Anonymousreply 7710/19/2013

I love to hear insider scoop from the People magazine set. It's hilarious.

You couldn't be more wrong about Ed Norton, his work, or how he is viewed. I'll just leave it at that, you adorable muffin queens.

by Anonymousreply 7810/19/2013

I think there's less tolerance in general for "artistic temperament" these days. The younger generation has been raised in a much less authoritarian manner with better self-esteem, and they're as not conditioned to put up with bullshit from people just because they situationally have higher status than them. If you've got a problem with anger management or paranoia, you're expected to go get it professionally treated, not just take it out on whoever is unlucky enough to have to work with you.

by Anonymousreply 7910/19/2013

He won't go down as "one of the best of his generation" unless he starts working again, and in good roles. And he sure isn't going to find any in Wes Anderson movies. I saw him in "Moonrise Kingdom" and he was completely wasted in that movie, as was the rest of the cast. That piece of shit was one of the worst movies I ever saw. I will NEVER go to see another Wes Anderson movie again. Never!

by Anonymousreply 8010/19/2013

Kill yourself r80. 'Moonrise Kingdom' and Wes Anderson are awesome.

by Anonymousreply 8110/19/2013

Go fuck yourself, R81. You're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8210/19/2013

We are on a plane right now and all he is worried about is himself

What a jerk

Seems like a complete A- - W------

I wouldn't hire him to run a car wash

by Anonymousreply 8305/29/2014

Did he try to fuck the flight attendants r83? Some recent blinds said he had tried to do so recently.

by Anonymousreply 8405/29/2014

[quote]No one here knows shit about acting. About the actual craft. It's all subjective opinions about what they THINK is shitty or boring or that he isn't attractive or a "movie star".

I studied acting. Yes, the "actual craft". So have lots of other DLers. Get off your high horse and shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 8505/29/2014

I thought he was really good in The 25th Hour and The Painted Veil.

by Anonymousreply 8605/29/2014

Don't you dare talk to me like that, idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8705/29/2014
Need more help? Click Here.