Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Should I lie on my resume?

Does everyone really check every single little thing?

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2013

Go ahead. And after you get hired you can tell them about your Canadian girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 107/09/2010

It depends on what you plan to lie about.

by Anonymousreply 207/09/2010

Lie about what? Education? Employment? Skills - be careful.

by Anonymousreply 307/09/2010

What about dates of employment?

by Anonymousreply 407/09/2010

I lie about the year I graduated from college on my resume. I shave off 2 years. I also shave off two years of my age. You can always just say it was a typo or something.

by Anonymousreply 507/09/2010

How extreme a lie about dates? A few months or a few years?

by Anonymousreply 607/09/2010

A few months.

by Anonymousreply 707/09/2010

I paid the $35 to register a business with a friend under his name just so I could say that the 6 months I sat around the house this year were spent as in-house consultant at his business.

If you're gonna lie, do it right.

by Anonymousreply 807/09/2010

by Anonymousreply 907/09/2010

OP, why bother?

by Anonymousreply 1007/09/2010

I was a bookstore manager for about 15 years, jumping around to all the major chains. My career in that industry began and ended at a store that is now no longer in business... so according to my resume, I worked there all 15 years. I would prefer that nobody at my current job know about the middle years at the other company, still very much in business, where I was a less than stellar employee.

by Anonymousreply 1107/09/2010

If you do get hired and, at some future date, have an employment issue, it does give them a reason to fire you with cause.

by Anonymousreply 1207/09/2010

Lying on one's resume indicates a lack of confidence. Aren't you good enough as you are?

by Anonymousreply 1307/09/2010

I have had employment dates checked for applicants. There are a lot of peope who lie about thier employment dates. They don't get hired.

by Anonymousreply 1407/09/2010

A few months is unlikely to matter.

by Anonymousreply 1507/12/2010

I am filling out an online application for a job, and one of the questions is, "Describe your basic accounting and budgeting skills".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to answer that?

by Anonymousreply 1605/26/2013

In my Experience section I have:

"19th President of the United States" and no one has said anything about it yet.

by Anonymousreply 1705/26/2013

I was fired from my last job. What do I say? How do I explain that?

by Anonymousreply 1805/26/2013

R18/OP what did you do?

by Anonymousreply 1905/26/2013

As someone who has been working freelance for a while now, I have a section that says "selected clients', listing experiences with big clients I'd like to repeat, but I usually don't include dates unless asked. I drop some clients from this list where the result of the project (website, graphcs, etc) sucked or I'm embarrassed to include the work in my portfolio. What do any HR people think of this?

by Anonymousreply 2005/26/2013

r17, when my church applied for a credit card at "How long have you've been in business?" the pastor wrote "2000 years." The church got the card.

by Anonymousreply 2105/26/2013

(reply 18 here) Worked for a lunatic, for starters. The coke habit (his) did not help. My big problem: He was threatened by me. I was targeted from the minute I walked in the door. Really, not kidding, it was him , not me. What do I say?

by Anonymousreply 2205/26/2013

And so he fired you, or did you quit?

You can say you were let go due to changes in the company. And leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 2305/26/2013

Yes, lie. No one checks. I got my current job because I said I went to Yale and got my NBA from Harvard Businesss School. I only wnet to community college.

by Anonymousreply 2405/26/2013

No don't lie. Lying on a resume can get you fired.

by Anonymousreply 2505/26/2013

I like that reply 21. But will that do? What if they ask for details. Experts say not to bad-mouth your former company during an interview. What if they ask for more? Also, will being fired really count for much. I have a great resume, was only there for a year and never had a problem before. I appreciate your advice. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2605/26/2013

Um, excuse me! I was the one who dragged up this thread for some help, so get to answering my question, bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 2705/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 2805/26/2013

R26 if they press just keep repeating the same answer. I was let go due to changes in the company. They won't press, but if they do just keep saying due to changes, you were let go. And leave it at that.

DO NOT EVER bad mouth your last experience.

by Anonymousreply 2905/26/2013

R26, how long were you with the asshole?

by Anonymousreply 3005/26/2013

just show them this video

by Anonymousreply 3105/26/2013

Basic accounting skills: bank reconciliation (you balance your checking account, right? That's bank reconciliation), Accounts Payable (you know when your bills are due and you pay the fuckers on time), and Accounts receivable (you know when you're getting paid, by whom, and how often). If you've ever been a cashier, you know reconciliation (x,z totals).

You shouldn't lie about budgeting skills if you have none. Some departments must spend the budget to get the same or higher budget the next year. Some departments are expected to improve ratios each year.

by Anonymousreply 3205/26/2013

A year with the company, 7 months with the asshole. Was fine until him. Evidently, it took them at least 4 months to replace me. And he fired him 4 weeks later. The boy's not normal. I did not quit because we were short staffed and i did not want to leave them in the lurch. No good deed... Some people have no business being in business.

by Anonymousreply 3305/26/2013

Never lie on a CV or resume. Not only are people here mistaken about verification not being done, the fact of a lie offers permanent grounds for termination at any point in a person's employment.

The OP may get by if filling in her GED date wrong on the McDonalds' application. For any job worth having, falsification is death.

Our firm and every firm of merit I know have upped their scrutiny. Not only are the facts of a resume verified, additional measures are applied to ensure the quality, integrity and relative "safeness" of an applicant being considered. While I have not stooped to credit checks and drug tests (now standard), I do arrest, legal and residence checks, additional to citizenship/legality, education, employment, publication and salary validation.

And I have had three employees terminated for dishonesty on application forms in the past, which led to this added care. We find that, especially among those under 35, who seem to lack fundamentals of integrity and truthfulness as a consequence of poor education, poor parenthood and cultural ambivalence.

It ends up costing too much to deal with liars and cheats.

by Anonymousreply 3405/26/2013

Again R33/OP DO NOT say anything negative. Talk about it in minimal terms, and focus on your current skills and what you can bring to the position.

by Anonymousreply 3505/26/2013

There's no easy answer. Some employers go over resumes with excruciating detail, some hardly confirm anything at all. And, then there are all points in between.

by Anonymousreply 3605/26/2013

R32 Thank you for the tips. Also, in a past job, I used to do invoicing and processing payments from customers - does that have anything to do with "basic accounting"?

Also, what does a "Budget Officer" do? They said this position will be budget officer for the department but you just need basic budgeting skills.

by Anonymousreply 3805/26/2013

R24. You work for simpletons. Any normal person can tell the difference. Proud?

by Anonymousreply 3905/26/2013

R33, for interviews or applications simply state that "a new manager built a new team. It was a surprise that you were not one of the people chosen for this new team." This implies that you were not the only employee terminated.

Also? Look up and use the name of the manager who hired you, not the cokehead. Contact him/her and ask to use him/her as a professional reference.

Potential employers will still contact your old employer, but you'll be able to provide a contact that liked you enough to hire you.

by Anonymousreply 4005/26/2013

by Anonymousreply 4105/26/2013

Don't lie about money. They will check how much you made and the dates you worked. Unofficially and off the record they can find out anything else. I used to check this stuff all the time and you'd be surprised how many people lie about stuff that is really easy to verify.

by Anonymousreply 4205/26/2013

[quote]got my NBA from Harvard Businesss School. I only wnet to community college.

And it shows. All of it.

by Anonymousreply 4305/26/2013

it depends, do you have a bubble butt?

by Anonymousreply 4405/26/2013

I've been at the same job for 7 years. I don't want my current employer to know I'm looking for a new job. Is it ok to not have a reference for the last 7 years?

by Anonymousreply 4505/26/2013

R43, please. WNET is a wonderful organization. And the NBA always gives street cred.

Although there is no excuse for three s's in businessssssss. In hissing, the key is not to lose your nerve.

by Anonymousreply 4605/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!