Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What happened to the Concorde planes?

I am watching Sabrina with Harrison Ford.%0D %0D He takes the Air France Concorde. How much faster were they?

by Anonymousreply 9211/26/2012

They traveled at the speed of sound. Over 1000 miles per hour.

by Anonymousreply 107/06/2010

They got old and too expensive to operate post 9/11/01, OP. You can find them at air museums.

by Anonymousreply 207/06/2010

And to answer your question, twice the speed of sound.

by Anonymousreply 307/06/2010

One is sitting on a pier in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 407/06/2010

One is in a museum in the airport in Barbados (there was regular concord service from London to Barbados back in the day) Worth a visit. One of the contributing factors to the demise of the concord was the crash which killed more than a few of their frequent fliers.

by Anonymousreply 507/06/2010

Gosh, I didn't expect so many answers. Thank you.%0D %0D So no defects. Thanks guy/gals.

by Anonymousreply 607/06/2010

oh, how fast does a regular plane travel.. commercial plane.

by Anonymousreply 707/06/2010

There is one at the Intrepid museum in NYC.%0D %0D It flew at Mach 2.04 (1,350 mph), It set the record for the shortest flight between JFK and Heathrow...3 hours an 10 minutes.%0D %0D I grew up in the flight path to JFK. I happened to be mesmerized by planes. The Concorde was amazing...so graceful but very loud. There was a 3 o'clock flight out of JFK that would fly over Riis Park beach. The whole beach, hundreds of people, would just stop and stare at it flying overhead. It was an amazingly beautiful airplane.%0D %0D What put it out of business was parts. There were only 20 in existence and it became too expensive to replace basic parts.%0D %0D I love 747s more than the Concorde. The best and most beautiful flying machine man has ever created.

by Anonymousreply 807/06/2010

That crash in Paris didn't help things.

by Anonymousreply 907/06/2010

One of the British Airways Concordes is at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, where they let people walk through it.

by Anonymousreply 1007/06/2010

They burned as much fuel as a 747, but carried just a quarter of the passengers. Tickets cost up to $8,000.

by Anonymousreply 1107/06/2010

Also it flew 70,000 feet above the earth's surface...roughly more than double other commercial airliners.

by Anonymousreply 1207/06/2010

If British Airways hadn't been such a dickwad of a company and not refused to sell their Concordes to Virgin Atlantic, they'd still be flying.

by Anonymousreply 1307/06/2010

has anyone here every been a passenger? %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1407/06/2010

r12, is there a reason for them to fly so high?

by Anonymousreply 1507/06/2010

yes, less atmosphere and higher flying speed but enough O2 for engine combustion

by Anonymousreply 1607/06/2010

The Concorde flew twice as fast as a normal transatlantic jet. So crossing the Atlantic took three hours. On New Year's Eve, their champagne flight served bubbly at midnight in Paris, midnight mid-ocean, and midnight in Washington, D.C. The Good Life!

by Anonymousreply 1707/06/2010

A guy I used to work with told me this story. It happened back in the 80s. He and his wife were flying BA out of Boston via London to the Netherlands for Christmas. There was a big snowstorm in the midwest that grounded their flight before it could get to Boston. The waiting passengers went apeshit as the ground staff tried to reroute everyone. People were being sent off to catch connecting flights all up and down the east coast. My friend was a very laid back guy and just told the agent to do her best under the circumstances. She handed him two tickets to DC and told him to make the connection there.

She didn't tell him that their new flight to London would be on the Concorde. He and his wife were the only two from Boston that were rerouted onto the Concorde. They ended up getting to Holland earlier than their original flight.

by Anonymousreply 1807/07/2010

Yes R14. It was the best flight ever but too quickly over. %0D %0D "When we reach Mach 1 you will feel a slight bump"

by Anonymousreply 1907/07/2010

love it r19, please more description.%0D %0D What was take off like? and landing? %0D %0D In air, was there a difference? light headed.%0D %0D too cool r19.

by Anonymousreply 2007/07/2010

Yes, R14, I was a passenger three times. Twice JFK to Heathrow and once JFK to DeGaulle.

Smallish cabin, but the experience was so exciting you didn't care. And only slightly over three hours long. The two most memorable images I have are of the speedometer on the forward bulkhead keeping track in "mach" increments and looking out the window in daylight and seeing the beginning of the darker atmosphere above.

I did not get the chance, however, to fly the other direction. Always wanted to do that so I could arrive before I left.

And to answer another question, modern airliners fly up to, but not over, the speed of sound. Don't want to leave a boom behind them.

by Anonymousreply 2107/07/2010

They were very cramped and noisy, weren't they?

by Anonymousreply 2207/07/2010

I wish Boeing had gone ahead with it's SST, the Boeing 2707, it was three times larger and might have been more economical to operate had they ever been able to build it.

by Anonymousreply 2307/07/2010

R18--- Lovely story, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 2407/07/2010

I didn't find it cramped. The grey leather seats were very ergonomic. Not too noisy. It was interesting to watch the sunset from the Concorde/1st class lounge at Heathrow and then fly so fast the sun was no longer set on the way to NYC. The wine and food service was incredible. I was really surprised at how many people slept all the way and didn't even take the free gift (leather day/date planner with the Concorde logo embossed on it). They just left them in the seat back pockets!%0D %0D By far the most exciting travel experience I've had.

by Anonymousreply 2507/07/2010

There's one at the Museum of Flight here in Seattle, along with Air Force One. Neither is for the even slightly claustrophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2607/07/2010

Threads like this are fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 2707/07/2010

love those planes

by Anonymousreply 2807/07/2010

On 7/25/2000 Concorde 203 outbound from Paris to New York. It crashed 60 seconds after take off after suffering tire blow-out that caused a fuel tank to rupture. This started a sequence of events that caused a fire which eventually lead to 2 engines failing and the aircraft crashing.%0D %0D All 109 people (100 passengers and 9 crew) on board were killed. 4 people in a local hotel on the ground were also killed. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2907/07/2010

[quote]didn't even take the free gift (leather day/date planner with the Concorde logo embossed on it). They just left them in the seat back pockets!

For $5000 a ticket, free it ain't.

by Anonymousreply 3007/07/2010

[quote]One of the contributing factors to the demise of the concord was the crash which killed more than a few of their frequent fliers.

None of the people on that flight were frequent fliers. They were German retirees on a charter flight to catch a cruise ship in New York.

by Anonymousreply 3107/07/2010

I just looked it up, and 18 of the 20 planes built are preserved in museums. That's an amazingly high number.

One crashed, and one was taken out of service with less than 6000 hours of use--I wonder what the story was on that one?

by Anonymousreply 3207/07/2010

Does anyone remember that plane crash thread from last year where Plane Crash Death Troll (or whatever his name was) posted plane crash pictures?

Should we do it here?

by Anonymousreply 3307/07/2010

I visited the Concorde that's housed at the Intrepid museum in Manhattan. It's a shame that the plane is treated as an afterthought by the museum--no signage or indication of what it is or its importance. If you didn't know, you'd think it was just a funky looking airliner sitting on the pier. %0D %0D Anyway, you enter the plane in the middle and are able to turn left down the aisle towards the cockpit. The aisle to your right as you enter is glassed off. As you walk towards the cockpit, the seats on either side are glassed off but not all the way so idiots are able to push candy wrappers and whatnot through the cracks. Lovely.%0D %0D The cockpit is also glassed off so you can see into it but can't enter it. You have to turn around and go back down the aisle to go out through the door you came in. This is a drag as you have to push past people and they have to push past you.%0D %0D I was struck by how narrow the seats were. But they do look comfy.%0D %0D Maybe other museums have better displays of the Concorde. Still, it's fun to sit at one of the patio tables on the pier next to a 6' high tire while sipping a Diet Coke.

by Anonymousreply 3407/07/2010

[quote]For $5000 a ticket, free it ain't.%0D %0D My partner and I paid $450 each to upgrade our one-way British Airways flight through a special deal being offered to QE2 passengers at that time (when BA and Cunard were owned by the same corporation before Carnival bought Cunard.)%0D %0D Best $450 I ever spent.

by Anonymousreply 3507/07/2010

[quote]I love 747s more than the Concorde. The best and most beautiful flying machine man has ever created.

Agree completely!

by Anonymousreply 3607/07/2010

I was surprised at how small they are compared to the jumbo jets that usually fly transatlantic.

by Anonymousreply 3707/07/2010

I flew it several times. Always intersting passengers. Once I sat behind Woody Allen and Soon Yi, another time across from Andre Leon alley to Paris. He was completely swathed in brown leather, a brown fur hat, and was jammed against the window. He looked like a Disney Character.

by Anonymousreply 3807/07/2010

Airplane pilot here (NGPA Member-ck us out). The Concorde was too expensive to maintain/fly by the major air carriers. The engines also emitted too many hydrocarbons by today's standards. Add to all of this ticket prices were too steep for most of the travelling public (Estimated at around $3500 one way on Air France to NYC). Nice concept though. I think that Airbus/Boeing is designing a 2 times sound a/c that is more economical and emits fewer noxious hydrocarbons.

by Anonymousreply 3907/07/2010

"I was struck by how narrow the seats were."%0D %0D That's because rich people are thin, unlike the fatassed hoi polloi.

by Anonymousreply 4007/07/2010

I think John Travolta ate them.

by Anonymousreply 4107/07/2010

[quote]One is sitting on a pier in NYC.

The Concorde is an insatiable bottom!

There's also the fact that the internets have made really-high speed business travel unnecessary.

by Anonymousreply 4207/07/2010

[quote]That crash in Paris didn't help things.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 4307/07/2010

I'm surprised a rich Saudi hasn't purchased one and put it back in the skies.

by Anonymousreply 4407/07/2010

I flew Concorde about 35 times, mostly on British Airways.

To correct a previous poster, it only flew as high as 60,000 feet which was supposed to be enough to see the curvature of the Earth. I only saw that a couple of times. What was remarkable the darkness of the skies above during daytime. Bluish-black. You could imagine the edge of space...

Others can comment on the technical aspects of the plane. The really cool things for me were:

1) the roar of the engines and feeling pushed back in one's seat during take-off

2) the slight bump as the plane broke the sound barrier and the shift in the center of gravity as the fuel was redistributed for supersonic cruise

3) the heat of the windows...there were quite hot to the touch

4) the fact that the plane actually stretched six to ten inches in flight as the airframe heated

5) the engines were throttled back over Jamaica Bay due to noise abatement restrictions and there was pleasant feeling of floating and relative quiet as they did

6) the Concorde flight attendants on BA were part of the 757 crew and you would sometimes see one on a short-haul European flight and say hello

You didn't have to fly that often to be recognized. It was all about where you sat on the plane.

The plane was split into two cabins. There were ten rows in front and 15 in the back. VIPs and very frequent fliers sat in the front and even then there was a bit of a pecking order. If you sat consistently in the first few rows, the cabin crew learned to recognize you.

The back of the plane was generally considered more for the "once-in-a-lifetime" travelers. In general, the front cabin was a bit quieter, had better views as those in the back were obstructed by the wings.

It was also the cabin where sandwich consumption was highest.

Sandwiches? Yes. For those who did not the fancy meal and wines, Concorde service included plates of sandwiches. A lot of frequent fliers and executives opted out of the main meal.

A surprising number of people traveled without luggage, especially in the front of the plane. On one flight, I was off the plane, through immigration and in my car service in less than 10 minutes.

I'd say at least a dozen people on a full flight did the same thing.

There were dedicated lounges in both London and New York with direct access to the plane.

Very VIPs had a lounge within a lounge. These were heads of state, mega-stars, etc..

Finally, there was a time when you could check in 30 minutes before departure. And it wasn't unusual to have a BA representative whisk you through security and into the lounge.

They were all very pleasant.

One last thing: on most flights, Concorde was given take-off priority. This was as much because of the fuel it burned as it was a concession to the importance of speed.

Boarding to take-off took ten or fifteen minutes sometimes.

I have lots of other memories, but those are the ones which stand out.

by Anonymousreply 4507/07/2010

P.S. Corporate supersonic aircraft are a few years away. They won't fly at Mach 2 but they will fly at Mach 1.6 and may be able to reduce sonic boom on domestic flights. In any case, flying at Mach .98 or thereabout cuts an hour out of a NY-LA flight.

by Anonymousreply 4607/07/2010

As folks used to say of BA's Concorde, 'Breakfast in London, lunch in New York and baggage in Bahrain'

by Anonymousreply 4707/07/2010

[quote]I just looked it up, and 18 of the 20 planes built are preserved in museums. That's an amazingly high number.

Maybe, maybe not. I mean, prior to the Paris crash, it had never been in an accident, so arithmetically, it was significantly safer than a conventional jet. But anytime you get something moving exponentially faster than something else, the possibilities of something wrong that quickly turns very, very wrong is higher.

As to why no wealthy private citizen has put it back in service, besides the fuel consumption, maintenance of the thing has to be astronomical. And even most big airports probably don't have enough runway for something that needs to lose that much speed that quickly.

Plus, for the pilots, I bet it's a bitch to fly. I mean, the cockpit is probably fly-by-wire, but EADS had to build it so the nose would swing down turning take-off and landing, because you couldn't see anything.

by Anonymousreply 4807/07/2010

Some seats from one of the later BA Concordes are in one of the First class lounges at Heathrow. I never flew on Concorde, would have loved to. My dad flew it (for business) a few times, he always brought me back the Concorde goodies another poster mentioned upthread, once he sat next to Chris Evert.

by Anonymousreply 4907/07/2010

R48, Concorder pre-dated fly by wire. I've read that they were actually not difficult to fly.

by Anonymousreply 5007/07/2010

I've tried to post this thrice, so let's just stick to basics:

-Private citizens' groups in Britain and France

-Retired Air France Concorde purchased by same

-Returned to service for 2012 Olympics

by Anonymousreply 5107/07/2010

We'll see VOTN.

It would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

by Anonymousreply 5307/07/2010

[quote]Also it flew 70,000 feet above the earth's surface...roughly more than double other commercial airliners.%0D %0D It should also be noted that by flying that high, passengers were exposed to significantly more radiation than regular trans-Atlantic passengers, who are already getting more than a chest x-ray's worth of additional radiation exposure.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5507/07/2010

BA's flagship Concorde is located at Manchester airport. I'm sure they used to have it displayed outside, but now it's in a hanger.

by Anonymousreply 5607/07/2010

There is a Concorde at the Air and Space Museum in DC (the one out by Dulles Airport). %0D %0D That museum is AWESOME--it also has a Space Shuttle.

by Anonymousreply 5707/07/2010

[quote]It should also be noted that by flying that high, passengers were exposed to significantly more radiation than regular trans-Atlantic passengers

No, that's simply untrue.

Please see link.

by Anonymousreply 5807/07/2010

I never flew the Concorde, but I'm convinced that several of my flights were really on a converted Greyhound with wings.

by Anonymousreply 5907/07/2010

[bold]*** FREEPER TROLL ALERT ***[/bold]%0D %0D ^ Beginning at [[R55]] ^%0D %0D "Gallup has the big Os approval at 44%": beginning at r-39. @ r-77: "[r-73] generalizations will get you no where. I am a proud Republican and come from a long line of good Republican stock and lineage. Your insults only show you for what you are. I am not a racist, a homophobe or a sexist. I love my country as all good Republicans do and we just want to take this country back to where it should have stayed. That is all."%0D %0D "The Nations Worst Church Lady? Yvonne Moore Demands Donations Back When Church OKs Gay Marriage": beginning at r-11. @ r-16: "At least I dont take it up the ass [r-13], you sick freak."%0D %0D "At a party last night we were all talking about how bad movies are lately.": beginning at r-19. @ r-19: "[italic]Brokeback Mountain[/italic] was a piece of trash that deserved to fail and thankfully the Academy recognized it for the trash it was."%0D %0D "Ronaldo becomes a father": beginning at r-17. @ r-50: "[r-48] Ricky Martin is still popular with many in Latin America and Europe even after falling out of favor here in the States. You all really need to leave Ronaldo alone and let him live his life. Its pretty despicable that you would taint this moment and taint his relationship with his child with your disgusting smears that hes a gay or a man-whore. While he may be much more sexually active than you diseased queens, that is his prerogative and has nothing to do with you."%0D %0D "Opposite sex marriage supporter Carrie Prejean gets married": beginning at r-26. @ r-36: "Are gay men so vindictive and jealous that they would wish harm on this woman? Granted, she made some ignorant comments but let it go and give her your well wishes. There is such a thing as Karma."%0D %0D "Anderson Cooper and Ben Maisani visited David Barton Gym": beginning at r-34. @ r-89: "Its quite obvious that Ben has a large contingent of defenders on [italic]DL[/italic]. Who knows what the true story is but its VERY obvious that either Ben or Andersons peeps have infiltrated this website."%0D %0D "Tea Party Jesus!": beginning at r-18. @ r-18: "Real Christians believe in love, service to others, non judgment, patience, hope, faith and truth. Thats what Jesus taught. So please dont blame Jesus for the hateful stuff you see and hear all over the place by people pretending to represent him."%0D %0D "Democrats push for new Internet sales taxes": beginning at r-23. @ r-23: "[r-20] if you hate this country so much then I suggest you fucking leave you piece of shit. Those soldiers are fighting for your right to mouth of on this site. You deserve a bullet to your head for your disrespect."%0D %0D "The Danger of a GOP Controlled Congress": beginning at r-86. @ r-86: "Sorry, OP. Not all of us are frothing at the mouth loonies. Many of us are moderates working to ring the party in line with Mainstream values and sensibilities. Obama and the Dems are on their way out and our country is better for it. Go sell crazy to someone else - its not wanted here."%0D %0D *** FREEPER TROLL ALERT PART II ***%0D %0D "God Bless America": beginning at r-10. @ r-10: "Agreed [r-9], atheists and fundies are just wo sides of the same coin. And some fucked up pansy atheist will scream FALSE EQUIVALENCY like the fucked up pansy it is but most thinking people realize they are both assholes."%0D %0D "Texas GOP wants to make marrying gays a felony, reinstate sodomy ban": beginning at r-54. @ r-54: "why do you and people like you pretend that Texas is some anomaly in a country of shining enlightenment? | The US is a bigoted and fucked up country and its conservatism is DEEP. It aint just Texas."%0D %0D "Gloria Allred Sends Mel Gibson Open Letter": beginning at r-57. @ r-59: "Allred needs to have a knife jammed deep in her cunt and have her body slit from her cunt up to her throat." %0D

by Anonymousreply 6007/07/2010

[bold]*** FREEPER TROLL ALERT PART III[/bold]%0D %0D %0D "Rep. Michele Bachmann: More Madness, More $$$": beginning at r-3. @ r-3: "We live in a Democracy [r-2]. Perhaps you need to leave."%0D %0D "Obama And The Economy" beginning at [r-23]. @[r-32]: "The great thing about this country is that in November we will have a chance to vote in people that have new ideas about where to take this country (like Rand Paul in KY) and that is what is beautiful about Democracy. It's pretty funny just to sit back and watch Obama and the libs run around with their heads cut off like fucking chickens. | YOu are going down in November and you deserve it and deep down you know you deserve it. | This country is crying out for change and a new beginning after the last 2 years of disaster after disaster. | It's time to take this country back and become what we know we can become and that is GREAT. | After Obama - I don't know what country I'm in. He's destroyed this country."%0D %0D "Today's youths have been praised so much that some flail at their first taste of criticism or failure, experts say" beginning at [[r-55]]. @ r-55: "[[r-23]] is a moron of the highest order." %0D %0D [bold]"What happened to the Concorde planes?" beginning at R55. @ R55: "Why is VOTN such an asshole know-it-all?"[/bold]%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6107/07/2010

LMAO@r61 and r62.

Troll-dar is amazing!

by Anonymousreply 6207/07/2010

r19 and r45, it sounds like it was a fabulous ride. %0D %0D I'm so jealous! %0D %0D Thanks for sharing your memories. %0D

by Anonymousreply 6307/07/2010

R59... actually sorta true. You were vunerable to solar flares, but yeah, halving the flight time while doubling the rate of exposure did sorta balance out in general.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6407/08/2010

It all sounds so luxurious and exclusive! I bet that instead of peanuts they handed out macadamia nuts or some other fancy shit

by Anonymousreply 6507/08/2010

Speaking of luxury, I would have liked to cross the Atlantic on one of the German airships (not the Hindenberg's last flight of course).%0D %0D The airships carried over 30,000 passengers across the Atlantic.

by Anonymousreply 6607/08/2010

Just ask them to fill it up with helium first.

Otherwise, you're sitting in luxury under a very, very large bomb, even before you get to Lakehurst.

by Anonymousreply 6707/08/2010

The plan was to fill them with helium but the US wouldn't sell it to them what with those Nazis running around and all.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6807/08/2010

I was one of the "once-in-a-lifetimer". Flew it from CDG to JFK. I, too, could feel the thrust of the plane as it took off and definitely watched the Machometer as it approached Mach 2. Once airborne, the flight was similar to others. The pitch wasn't great. I'd say a 40" pitch but the service was impeccable. Of course, I did this in the mid-80s and service in general was much better then today, even in First Class. I also remember seek v the curvature of the earth. Pretty cool. My recollection was that it flew at 54,000'. My initial thought was that if time was an issue, it's the only way to go. For pure luxury, a First Class 747 was much roomier. I believe the price difference was about $300 in 1986. The cabin was small. I'm 6'4 and almost hit the ceiling when standing erect (stop laughing, Jack). I'm so glad I did it. I had gotten sone money from an Uncle who past away and plunked down the $2100 and never looked back. Best thing I ever did! My latest once-in-a-lifetime is to do the 380 in First. I'm torn between Singapore and Emirates. Until that decision is made, I'm not going to worry about the cost ;)...

by Anonymousreply 6907/08/2010

cool story r70.%0D %0D If you pay for my ticket, I will be more than happy to accompany you on your latest adventure. %0D %0D ok.... I have to at least try. ;)

by Anonymousreply 7007/08/2010

[quote]I was surprised at how small they are compared to the jumbo jets that usually fly transatlantic.

I was too, R37. I landed at Dulles once in the early 90s and I saw one parked at a gate and thought the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 7107/08/2010

Considering how far first class seats have progressed, I wonder if people would still pay a premium for the Concorde even though the flight is so much shorter.

I mean, Air France's Airbus fleet's first class cabins usually have fewer than a dozen pods.

by Anonymousreply 7207/08/2010

[quote]You were vunerable to solar flares, but yeah, halving the flight time while doubling the rate of exposure did sorta balance out in general.

Concorde was equipped with a radiation detector. If it detected elevated levels, the plane descended to around 45,000 feet.

[quote]Considering how far first class seats have progressed, I wonder if people would still pay a premium for the Concorde even though the flight is so much shorter

Most downgraded to business class as BA had a flat-bed product by the time Concorde retired from service.

Demand on Air France for first class between New York and Paris also dropped.

It was all about speed. Comfort was secondary.

It was not unusual, however, for an executive to leave London or Paris on Concorde in mid-morning, arriving in New York between 8:45 and 9:20 am. They could the spend a full day in meetings in New York including drinks and an early dinner and be on one of the last flights back, arriving the next morning.

It made for a long day, but there were people who did it routinely once or twice a month.

[quote]I mean, Air France's Airbus fleet's first class cabins usually have fewer than a dozen pods.

Only the A380s have first class. There are nine first class seats.

[quote]I'm torn between Singapore and Emirates.

Well, Emirates has showers but Singapore service and food is usually amazing.

Emirates has 14 suites vs. Singapore's 12.

And if you're traveling with a partner, you can have your two suites made up as a double bed. No sex allowed.

by Anonymousreply 7307/08/2010

How do they know if you're having sex?

by Anonymousreply 7407/08/2010

The 727 was the best designed commercial plane of all time.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7507/08/2010

I love that museum r58. I didn't even get to stay long since we were on our way out and I was with family. I wanted to look at everything but the only thing that got to them was the massive McDonald's, they loved that.

by Anonymousreply 7607/08/2010

"How do they know if you're having sex?"%0D %0D %0D There's a flight attendant hiding under the bed with a taser gun, just in case

by Anonymousreply 7707/09/2010

[quote]How do they know if you're having sex?

Voice recognition software.

Certain phrases, like "Mama like," "Yeah, baby!" or "Oh, England!" will set off a klaxon horn and alert the steward.

by Anonymousreply 7807/09/2010

This reminds me of that TV movie "SST - Death Flight" with Bert Convy, Robert Reed, Tina Louise, and Billy Crystal.

by Anonymousreply 7907/09/2010

I love these sorts of DL threads. What was the difference in service between the BA and AirFrance flights?

by Anonymousreply 8007/10/2010

The French service was better than the British one. The Concorde was a French inventionand it was a question of national pride for them. Nothing was spared to make it the ultimate luxurious experience: best champagne, best food, French perfumes and gifts. The Brits were more down-to earth, less refined but still excellent.

by Anonymousreply 8107/11/2010

Another difference between Emirates and Singapore is that there is a lounge on Emirates as well as showers. That said, I did have an opportunity to fly Singapore from Sydney to Singapore in First. One of the bes flights I ever took. I preordered Lobster Thermador for my meal and ot was amazing vthey offered a choice between Dom and Krug. They had leather bound menus as well as their own stationary in the desk. The on demand videos were on a 14" screen (larger ones are now available). As for the service, it was impeccable. Overall, Singapore truly has an amazing product which is why it is regularly chosen as the flying public's favorite airliner...

by Anonymousreply 8207/11/2010

The Concorde was clearly a special way to fly, but the all-time champion remains the old Pan Am Clippers.

Imagine crossing the Pacific or following the coast of South America down to Rio and landing in the harbor.

by Anonymousreply 8307/11/2010

Tell me you wouldn't have loved to follow the route of the Clipper around South America:

by Anonymousreply 8407/11/2010

Well, speaking of the Clipper, Pan Am Flight 6 DITCHED in the middle of the Pacific in October 1956.

During the flight leg from HNL to SFO, two of the engines lost power and it was determined that the plane would not make it to either airport.

However the US Coast Guard maintained a ship called an "ocean station" between Hawaii and California--don't know why--and the plane headed for it.

Circled until daylight while it burned off all its fuel and ditched. The tail broke off but all 31 aboard evacuated into the life rafts before the plane sank and were picked up within 10 minutes by the Coast Guard.

-sorry Wiki says it was a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser; it was *called* Clipper Sovereign of the Skies. The story is very dramatic, much better than what I've written here.

by Anonymousreply 8507/11/2010

"However the US Coast Guard maintained a ship called an "ocean station" between Hawaii and California--don't know why--and the plane headed for it."

Damn, they found out where I got my idea for a floating fortress.

by Anonymousreply 8607/11/2010

Never. Flew but went to a cocktail party on one when it was at the intercontinental airport in Houston years ago. So beautiful. Always wanted to fly it New Year's Eve where you could have several celebrations as you flew thru different time zones What a beauty

by Anonymousreply 8711/25/2012

Geez, guys - thanks for such a fascinating thread - never flew the Concorde - would have loved to - grew up with the Wichita aviation tradition - went to PUBLIC schools with the Beech and the Wallace (Cessna) kids, and of course, Boeing families from all strata. Thanks for your great personal Concord stories.

by Anonymousreply 8811/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 8911/25/2012

Here's video of Pan Am Flight 6 ditching into the Pacific with the Pontchartrain picking up the survivors.

by Anonymousreply 9011/25/2012

[quote] It was not unusual, however, for an executive to leave London or Paris on Concorde in mid-morning, arriving in New York between 8:45 and 9:20 am. They could the spend a full day in meetings in New York including drinks and an early dinner and be on one of the last flights back, arriving the next morning.

We had a heart surgeon from France who used to do that. He had invented a certain procedure and our chief surgeon idolized him. He would come over, scrub in, observe surgery, sometimes take part in the operation, then have late lunch/early dinner and go home.

by Anonymousreply 9111/25/2012

I love these geek threads. That is some incredible footage at R90. Thanks for posting.

[quote]the fact that the plane actually stretched six to ten inches in flight as the airframe heated

Could someone please explain this a bit more? I don't understand how this stretching could occur without damaging the structural integrity. Why don't windows pop out of their frames, etc.?

Wasn't the Concorde crash caused by debris left by the plane that had just used the runway? IIRC, the tire puncture was caused by this debris.

by Anonymousreply 9211/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.