Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Mel Gibson the most bigoted Hollywood star ever?

Or are there any contenders to the title?

by Anonymousreply 6711/10/2013

I wouldn't trust anything Curtis says, either.%0D %0D That said, Mitchum was a contradictory character: both a lifelong Republican and a lifelong pothead.

by Anonymousreply 407/04/2010

Oh boy. Sammy went down on Linda's then-husband, Chuck Traynor, an abusive man and notorious racist and homophobe who, nevertheless, was enough of a hanger-on that he was psyched to spend time with a celebrity couple. When Sammy asked Linda if she would "teach me how to do that" she assumed, demonstrating how to give a blow job on Sammy so Altovise Davis learn deep throating. When Linda realized Sammy wanted to go down on Chuck, Lovelace, real last name Marciano, got her revenge. When Lovelace's "Ordeal" was released, Sammy's people said they refused to dignify the story with comments. Which means it was true.

by Anonymousreply 507/04/2010

From IMDb:%0D %0D Turned down Tony Curtis's role in The Defiant Ones (1958). Mitchum, a real-life veteran of a Southern chain gang, claimed to disbelieve the premise that a black and white man would be chained together. He said such a thing would never happen in the South. Over the years, this reason was corrupted to the point where many people now believe Mitchum turned down the role because he didn't want to be chained to a black man, an absolute falsehood. Curtis repeated the inaccurate story in his autobiography, but later recanted after Mitchum's real reason was explained to him.

by Anonymousreply 607/04/2010

Eugene Pallette was another actor who wouldn't work with black performers.

by Anonymousreply 707/04/2010

That is an impossible question to answer. Prior to the 1960s the social structure of America was built on bigtory. Segregation, restriction and open homophobia allowed true bigotry to thrive undetected.

by Anonymousreply 807/04/2010

Howard Hughes once refused to sit down on chairs previously occupied by the black cast of %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CPorgy and Bess." I've also read that even the mention of Dr. Martin Luther King drove him crazy.

I've also read some quotes attributed to Walt Disney that were pretty anti-semitic.

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2010

Howard Hawks was an anti-semite.

by Anonymousreply 1007/04/2010

Difficult, but not impossible, r8. When I was writing my Berle story, I was thinking of another old time, Jack Benny--who was quite the opposite of Berle when it came to relating to minorities. True bigotry would thrive undetected, but an open-hearted person would definitely be revealed.%0D %0D Just subtract one from the other.%0D %0D If you want to hear about self-loathing, how Merle Oberon, who was half-Asian? Not only did she lie about it, she introduced her Asian mother as her servant. And her mother played along. But do you blame Oberon (I would most definitely) or the British public whom would label her a "half-caste" if they knew. Not that the American public would be more forgiving. But I doubt Merle would have played Cathy in Wuthering Heights. Maybe she would've gotten Anna Mae Wong's roles.

by Anonymousreply 1107/04/2010

Was Walt Disney a bigot? Two words:%0D %0D Uncle Remis

by Anonymousreply 1307/04/2010

Look, people, you have to consider the generation of the star you're labeling bigoted. ALL of these old timers mentioned would be considered racists by today's standards, even those who were in favor of civil rights. Mel Gibson, born in 1955/1956, has no fucking excuse for his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 1407/04/2010

Wasn't it well known that Merle Oberon was half Indian and didn't her Irish/Indian heritage popularly add to her exotic allure?

by Anonymousreply 1707/04/2010

r1, in his autobiography, Woody Strode says Jimmy Stewart was racist towards him.

by Anonymousreply 1807/04/2010

Eugene Pallette??? He's dead to me now.

by Anonymousreply 1907/04/2010

>>Robert Mitchum refused to work with Sydney Poitier.>>

To think, Mitchum recorded a Calypso album!

by Anonymousreply 2107/04/2010

[quote]I heard John Wayne was notoriously bigoted.%0D %0D Of all the other names mentioned, this is the only one I've heard about for years.

by Anonymousreply 2207/04/2010

Darlene Love told a story in her autobiography where she was staying at a hotel with John Wayne. They ran into each other one afternoon in the hallway and Wayne started talking about how lousy the room service was and asked to her to tell the manager about it. He thought because she was black she was automatically a maid which pissed her off. But she admits, when he was clarified about who she really was he was gracious and apologized profusely.

by Anonymousreply 2307/04/2010

Sarah Silverman said that an entertainer she admired approached her after one of her shows and said that he (or she, she didn't specify the sex of who it was) just "loved" her "nigger jokes." Silverman said she was offended by the entertainer's bigotry and was amazed that anyone would actually think that she really WAS a racist, despite doing jokes about how Hispanics don't bathe and how blacks are are inferior to whites and calling Martin Luther King Jr. a "loser."

by Anonymousreply 2407/04/2010

Oh, that Sarah! She's quite the 'edgy' one, isn't she?! %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2507/04/2010

This quote from a John Wayne interview says it all:%0D %0D "I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to the point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people."

by Anonymousreply 2607/04/2010

Another John Wayne gem:%0D %0D "[on Frank Capra] I'd like to take that little Dago son of a bitch and tear him into a million pieces and throw him into the ocean and watch him float back to Sicily where he belongs."

by Anonymousreply 2707/04/2010

More from John Wayne: "I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them if that's what you're asking. Our so called stealing of this country was just a question of survival. There were great numbers of people who needed new land the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

by Anonymousreply 2807/04/2010

Finally:%0D %0D "[on Native Americans:] I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves."

by Anonymousreply 2907/04/2010

High-fiving you, #28.%0D %0D Though not racist, I'll end on this one:%0D %0D [on the studios' blacklisting of alleged "subversives" in Hollywood] "If it is for the FBI, I will do anything for them. If they want me to I will even be photographed with an agent and point out a Communist for them. Tell Mr. Hoover [FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover] I am on his side."

by Anonymousreply 3007/04/2010

"But she admits, when he was clarified about who she really was he was gracious and apologized profusely."

Like that justifies it.

by Anonymousreply 3107/05/2010

from IMDb%0D re Walter Brennan:%0D %0D During the 1960s he was convinced that the anti-war and civil rights movements were being run by overseas Communists - and said as much in interviews. He told reporters that he believed the civil rights movement, in particular, the riots in places like Watts and Newark and demonstrations in Birmingham, Alabama, were the result of perfectly content "Negroes" being stirred up by a handful of "troublemakers" with an anti-American agenda. Those on the set of his last series, "The Guns of Will Sonnett" (1967) - in which he played the surprisingly complex role of an ex-army scout trying to undo the damage caused by his being a mostly absentee father - said that he cackled with delight upon learning of the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, and several crew members recalled how he actually danced a spontaneous jig when he heard of King's murder.

by Anonymousreply 3207/05/2010

It's too bad to hear that about Brennan. It sounds like he was a sick fuck (if that's all true).

Very unfortunate since I think he is one of only 3 actors (the other 2 being Jack Nicholson and Ingrid Bergman) to win 3 Oscars

by Anonymousreply 3307/05/2010

These quotes are disgusting, but you must realize that most actors are not well-read intellectuals. We place way too much importance on what actors & musicians say -- most of them are uneducated, working class bozos who gain money and prestige from being successful only as actors. Most are plenty dumb, why would they be smarter and less prejudiced than the average Joe?

by Anonymousreply 3407/05/2010

Charlton Heston:%0D %0D "Why should I be ashamed of white guys? Why is "Hispanic pride" or "black pride" a good thing, while "white pride" conjures up shaved heads and white hoods? %0D -- Speech by National Rifle Association First Vice President Charlton Heston Delivered at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala%0D %0D "Gay rights should extend no further than your rights or my rights..."%0D -- From Heston's speech 'Winning the Cultural War,' delivered Tuesday, February 16, 7:30 pm, Ames Courtroom, Austin Hall %0D %0D "I find my blood pressure rising when Clinton's cultural shock troops participate in homosexual-rights fund-raisers but boycott gun-rights fund-raisers... and then claim it's time to place homosexual men in tents with Boy Scouts, and suggest that sperm donor babies born into lesbian relationships are somehow better served and more loved."%0D -- Speech by National Rifle Association First Vice President Charlton Heston Delivered at the Free Congress Foundation's 20th Anniversary Gala%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3507/05/2010

Scott Baio, but he's not a star.

by Anonymousreply 3607/05/2010

Maria Riva touches upon her mother's bigotry in her Dietrich biography. Dietrich, brought up an aristocratic Prussian, found black people relatively unattractive, and was disgusted by their hands, which she deemed "dirty-looking." When an adult Maria confronted Marlene over it, an aghast Marlene responded "But some of my best maids have been black!" %0D %0D She did, however, think Lena Horne was one of the most beautiful women in the biz, because her skin was light and she looked great in white.

by Anonymousreply 3707/05/2010

I think I'll take Marlene Dietrich over Charlton Heston any day.

by Anonymousreply 3807/05/2010

I'm a black guy and I usually look at the context and the time period in which some of those statements were made. I guess I cut slack to those people born before 1950. I don't excuse it, but I take into account when they were born and the time period in which they were raised. I will say that I appreciate blatant racists. At least you know where you stand with them.

by Anonymousreply 3907/05/2010

R37, Marlene was hoping to get Lena into the sack. I don't think she scored, but I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4007/05/2010

Jane Russell

by Anonymousreply 4107/05/2010

Interesting info about Marlene D., especially considering the age-old rumor about her lesbian affair with Hattie McDaniel.

by Anonymousreply 4207/05/2010

I think you're confusing Dietrich with Tallulah Bankhead, r30.

by Anonymousreply 4307/05/2010

R43, did you mean to address your comment to me? Because if so, you're right and thanks for the correction.

by Anonymousreply 4407/05/2010

R31 If I had a quarter for every person in a store or restaurant (black white brown et al) I've confused for staff, I'd crumble under the wait.

I still hate John Wayne

by Anonymousreply 4507/05/2010

by Anonymousreply 4607/05/2010

Merle Overon claimed she was from Tasmania, Australia. Which Errol Flynn, who was really from there, found highly amusing.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4907/06/2010

It's Oberon, R49.

by Anonymousreply 5007/06/2010

Wasn't Glenn Ford also a wife-beater?

by Anonymousreply 5107/06/2010

Who isn't, R51?

by Anonymousreply 5207/06/2010

A few of these actors are in some of my all time favorite movies, Jimmy Stewart (Rear Window) Glenn Ford (The Big Heat) John Wayne (Stagecoach) Robert Mitchum (Cape Fear) and Angela Lansbury (Manchurian Candidate - is it REALLY true about her?). Marlene Dietrich always looked like a man in drag and her movies have never been of any interest to me so fuck her. The talk about the other actors being racists has really ruined everything for me although I shouldn't be surprised about this. How do you enjoy movies knowing that the actors in them are despicable racists? I really love those movies, it's the same with Robert Duvall and Jon Voight, they're in movies I love too but they're far-right wing assholes and I can't stand to look at them now.

by Anonymousreply 5307/06/2010

No, Angela Lansbury is one of the nicest people you'll EVER meet. It's not true about her.

by Anonymousreply 5407/06/2010

Julianne Moore. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 5507/06/2010

That's good to know R54.

by Anonymousreply 5607/06/2010

I assume the Angela Lansbury comment was meant as a joke, but that poster should still be ashamed of himself.

by Anonymousreply 5707/06/2010

Mark Wahlberg is racist and homophobe. He threw rocks at and caused injury to Black children on an outing. He attacked and blinded a Vietnamese man in one eye with a stick. I wonder how ant minority actor can bring themselves to work with this turd.

by Anonymousreply 5811/10/2013

Jamie Foxx is a racist piece of shit, but most people here don't like to talk about that.

by Anonymousreply 5911/10/2013

I'm surprised Charlton Heston name hasn't showed up yet in this thread. Also president of the NRA on top of all the bigotry.

The funny thing is that anyone deserves a bit of redemption and he deserved it when he played the very gay Ben Hur, unbeknownst to him. According to the movie the Celluloid Closet.

by Anonymousreply 6011/10/2013

I'm surprised at R50's reading comprehension.

by Anonymousreply 6111/10/2013

R60, meet R35.

by Anonymousreply 6211/10/2013

a teen-aged Angela Lansbury sat next to Lena Horne in Make-up at MGM when others refused.

Her response was "I'm from London, I wasn't taught to hate black people"

Love. Her. Madly.

by Anonymousreply 6311/10/2013

R24, she later specified that it was the lead singer from Journey who said that.

by Anonymousreply 6411/10/2013

I know Michael Richards from Sienfeld is not a big star, but I'm surprised Kirstie Alley picked him up in her new series. His racist rant was over the top.

by Anonymousreply 6511/10/2013

Shelley Winters marched for civil rights back in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 6611/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!