Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paul Newman at the height of his beauty.

Goodness. How old do you think he is in this photo? 42 or 43?

by Anonymousreply 19404/20/2014

"can'" = "Would...someplace private." :>

by Anonymousreply 207/04/2010

Yum, the man was so hot

by Anonymousreply 407/04/2010

He must have been around forty in the OP's picture, his hair is grayish and he's got a few lines here and there - both of which made him hotter than when he was young. The gray hair he had for most of his career looked better on him than his original light brown, it brought out his brilliant eyes and perpetual tan. Oh, he was hotter at fifty than he was at twenty-five, and without any plastic surgery either!%0D %0D And how tall was James Dean? Newman was only about 5'7", but he towers over Dean.

by Anonymousreply 507/04/2010

Yeah surprising how much smaller Dean was. Hollywood magic. Newman NEVER photographed how slight he really was.

by Anonymousreply 607/04/2010

I think Ryan Phillippe is his secret love child with a full lipped Russian woman.

by Anonymousreply 707/04/2010

did he enjoy sex with Dean, or did Jimmy ask him to stub out cigarettes on him?

by Anonymousreply 807/04/2010

James Dean was maybe about 5'7" tops. In Giant he looks like a tiny little midget person next to Rock Hudson.%0D %0D %0D %0D Paul Newman was maybe 5'9"

by Anonymousreply 907/04/2010

I had that photo on my computer at work for the longest time. While most of the people loved it, we had one 20-something year old twink who had absolutely no idea who it was, even when I named most of Newman's most famous movies. It made me feel so old.

by Anonymousreply 1007/04/2010

Look at the clip from "The Long Hot Summer." You don't need to watch the whole thing (although you should); the shirtless scene is at the beginning.%0D %0D No actor today comes close to him in looks or in magnetism.

by Anonymousreply 1107/04/2010

Matthew McCounaghey(sp?) almost did around "A Time to Kill"

by Anonymousreply 1207/04/2010

Brad Pitt did for many years. To many he no longer does, but I actually find Brad Pitt to be sexier now (except for that awful Billy Goat beard)than he was at the height of his beauty.

by Anonymousreply 1307/05/2010

you have no taste r13

by Anonymousreply 1407/05/2010

Newman looks kind of bland to me. If you saw him on the street and he hadn't been famous, that face would not have stood out in any way.

I just do not get where this "beauty" is.

by Anonymousreply 1507/05/2010

Good lord, R11, are you trying to make me have a heart attack! I use to think Brando was hotter than Newman at his prime, but after looking at that clip, my opinion has now changed! Talk about sheer male perfection.

You're right: Not a single male actor today compares to Paul Newman at his prime.

by Anonymousreply 1607/05/2010

[quote]Newman looks kind of bland to me. If you saw him on the street and he hadn't been famous, that face would not have stood out in any way. Dude, you have to be kidding.

by Anonymousreply 1707/05/2010

"Oh, he was hotter at fifty than he was at twenty-five, and without any plastic surgery either!"%0D %0D His nose job is common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 1807/05/2010

When are people on DL going to realize that not everyone, no matter how erotic to millions, appeals to everyone. You would think that gay people who should understand what its like to be in the minority when it comes to sexual attraction, would understand that just because people share a sexual preference for a gender, doesn't mean that they share a sexual yen for a particular person.

Personally, I think Paul Newman is justifiably uber-eroticized. But that doesn't mean I would jump to the conclusion that anyone who didn't find him erotic was joking.

Now back to this screen test. Jesus, was that hot. Not that surprising that Dean, who exemplified maverick, would be afraid to ask Newman to kiss him. Somewhat surprising that Paul would answer "can't here" but then again I'm sure Paul was functioning in a Hollywood where it was known that such "private" candor would be protected from public consumption. Its a different world now.

I was skeptical clicking on to that link, but its very clear that these two men were extremely turned on by each other.

by Anonymousreply 1907/05/2010

by Anonymousreply 2007/05/2010

[quote]"Personally, I think Paul Newman is justifiably uber-eroticized."

[bold] MARY! [/bold]

Don't come in here trying to be pretentious, unless you have your umlauts handy, Miss R19.

by Anonymousreply 2107/05/2010

I don't think he ever had a true peak. You watch any of his movies for 10 minutes and you're convinced you're watching him at his peak. He kept it together into his 70's too, and that's an amazing feat considering the smoking and the drinking.

by Anonymousreply 2307/05/2010

No man over 40 can be "at the height of his beauty."

But I wish you luck with your tragic self-delusion, Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 2407/05/2010

r24, many men look their best b/w 35-45. That is common knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 2507/05/2010

[quote]you're convinced you're watching him at his peak.

Newman was very good at sticking to age appropriate roles, a lesson many of toady's stars should learn.

And yes, I'm talking to you. Mr. Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 2707/05/2010

now, THIS pic is hot!

by Anonymousreply 2807/05/2010

I bet that [r24] is only in his twenties and already looks like shit

by Anonymousreply 2907/05/2010

He must have had very good genes. He liked his beer, but never looked bloated or paunchy. And he did take good care of himself.%0D %0D Looking at pictures of him as he aged, it's obvious he never had plastic surgery. Considering everything that is known about him, I doubt seriously that he ever had a "nose job." %0D %0D Richard Burton commented on Newman in his diary:%0D %0D "At one time Paul Newman came in. Paul is what I call a real actor. A nice man, extraordinarily youthful looking with a complexion so peaches and cream that at first I thought he had makeup on. Every move he makes is like one practicing--with no need to look anymore--in a mirror. I don't mean that unkindly. He doesn't even know he's doing it. He is a keep-fit fanatic and my God the results are remarkable. He must be at least my age and yet with a little care around the eyes and a dye-job on the hair he could still pass for 24 or so. I would hate to look like him. I did once before acne re-mapped my face and I hated it. I abhor mere prettiness."

by Anonymousreply 3007/05/2010

%0D He was the ideal man. His looks of course. But it was also his voice, his sense of humor, his caring and philanthropy, his politics. All of it. No one matches him.

by Anonymousreply 3107/05/2010

"Cary Grant looked better in his 50's than he did in his 30's, that's just a fact."%0D %0D %0D %0D Cary did keep his looks a long time. There is a scene in An Affair To Remember where he wears a bathing suit and his body looks great. He would have been about 53 at the time!%0D %0D %0D "But it was also his voice, his sense of humor, his caring and philanthropy, his politics."%0D %0D %0D Agreed. In addition to being super hot he was also proudly liberal and pro-gay.

by Anonymousreply 3207/05/2010

Add Sean Connery to the list of men who were better looking as they aged. The Sean Connery of The Man Who Would Be King makes the Sean Connery of Dr. No look like a punk. Although to be fair he did go through an ugly phase for a few years in between.

by Anonymousreply 3307/06/2010

by Anonymousreply 3410/10/2010

R15 is Helen Keller.

by Anonymousreply 3510/10/2010

I've always admired and have been attracted to older men (I'm early 30's). With that said, I think that he was sort of ugly in his early years but seemed to blossom later in life. IMHO, Paul was hot looking up until his death in his 80's.

by Anonymousreply 3610/10/2010

R15 I did meet him in CT one Sunday morning in the mid-1980s. I wasn't a fan before that but I was a fan after. He was otherworldly. I was next to him and he looked at me, smiled and politely nodded.%0D %0D He was not some regular schmo actor. I know what "star quality" is and that man had it. It was more than just his eyes, or his face.

by Anonymousreply 3710/10/2010

I agree that not everybody has the same taste. What appeals to some - does nothing for others.

But to make the comment that if you saw him on the street you'd never really notice him is patently absurd. The eyes alone would make him stand out.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2010

He was magnificent. No other adjective can describe his beauty.

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2010

"They seemed really hot for each other."%0D %0D Oh, please! They were obviously both nervous and were joking to ease the tension. %0D %0D Dean was bi. Newman was straight. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4010/10/2010

Did people understand the removed subtext of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at the time the picture was released? What did they think had Brick so fucked up?

by Anonymousreply 4111/25/2012

Why they 'killed' the other Paul Newman thread?

by Anonymousreply 4211/25/2012

Talk about erotic, wow. Why can't men as hot as that make romantic gay movies? (I understand the politics of why they don't - but let's get beyond that already, and that there are few men as hot as that.... but still) I'm sure neither of them thought that would ever be shown outside the studio!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4311/25/2012

Paul at his most beautiful

by Anonymousreply 4511/25/2012

Paul at his most beautiful again

by Anonymousreply 4611/25/2012

Gorgeous Paul with sweet and kind Joan

by Anonymousreply 4811/25/2012

R47 i totally agree with your point of view.

Tender Paul

by Anonymousreply 4911/25/2012

R48? My name is Joanne, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5011/25/2012

Lol, i know Joanne it was a speed error sweetie, don't get pissed off. Love you!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5111/25/2012

So, was Paul gay or bi? That video of his screen test with James Deen shows a clear sexual chemistry between the two, and we all know that James was reportedly bi.

by Anonymousreply 5211/25/2012

R52 there are rumors that want Paul to be bisexual. Some of these rumors want him to have slept with Robert Wagner, i don't know if they are true or not though, how could i know...?

by Anonymousreply 5311/25/2012

I agree with you R13.

by Anonymousreply 5411/25/2012

There are also rumors that want him to have slept with the writer Gore Vidal.

Below there is a photo of Paul from the movie 'The Left Handed Gun'. This movie's script was an adaptation of a teleplay written by Gore Vidal.

by Anonymousreply 5511/25/2012

I was just watching this vid yesterday. He was around 34 here, and so beautiful. Someone correctly commented that it looked like Daly wanted to jump him.

by Anonymousreply 5611/25/2012

Watch My Line, nice R56.

by Anonymousreply 5711/25/2012

Joanne is watching Paul...

by Anonymousreply 5811/25/2012

Paul and the love of his life Joanne Woodward

by Anonymousreply 5911/25/2012

[quote]I agree that not everybody has the same taste. What appeals to some - does nothing for others.

[quote]But to make the comment that if you saw him on the street you'd never really notice him is patently absurd. The eyes alone would make him stand out.

You contradicted yourself. If one doesn't find certain features attractive, one is less likely to give notice, regardless of how amazing the features may appear to somebody else. Not "really" noticing Newman due to his eyes is not "patently absurd". I don't find blue eyes attractive, and don't focus on people who have them. That would have likely applied if I had seen Newman on the street.

by Anonymousreply 6011/25/2012

Paul and two puppies on his lap

by Anonymousreply 6111/25/2012

Look at that bicep. He was always in good shape but I never knew that he worked out.

by Anonymousreply 6211/25/2012

Small story.

Woman in her 50's lives in small town in Connecticut. It's a hot summer day and she is doing some shopping in the little shops, when she decides to have an ice cream cone.

She enters the ice cream shop, which is empty of customers except for a man in the very back who is eating a dish of ice cream. She goes up to the counter and orders her ice cream cone. As the shop lady is scooping her ice cream she looks to the back the shop again. And OMG - it's Paul Newman. She is trying very hard to remain cool, not shriek, he slightly nods and smiles at her.

Still telling herself over and over again that she has to remain cool -she calmly pays for her cone and exits the shop. When she gets to her car she realizes she forgot her cone. She goes back ino the shop and says to the lady, that she forgot her cone.

From the back of the ice cream shop, comes THAt voice, as he chuckles and tells her -"you put in your purse."

Indeed. She had.

by Anonymousreply 6311/25/2012

He was a really beautiful man

by Anonymousreply 6411/26/2012

There was character before his beauty and charm and a certain warmness.

by Anonymousreply 6511/26/2012

Until the very end Joanne and Paul stayed as one. Their marriage worked out and lasted until Paul's final death. Joanne was of course by his side.

by Anonymousreply 6611/26/2012

Paul was a gentleman. If he ever did something naughty, he always cared not to hurt the people he loved the most and he was very discreet and had the courage to keep his secrets deep inside him without needing to 'get rid of them'.

by Anonymousreply 6711/26/2012

Ryan Lochte looks just like him, but w/ none of the charm.

by Anonymousreply 6811/26/2012

R68...uh? Ok, maybe in the colour of eyes...

by Anonymousreply 6911/26/2012

*the eyes...

by Anonymousreply 7011/26/2012

I already believed Newman was bi. There was always a homoerotic edge to his acting and the parts he played. He wanted to produce and star in The Front Runner with Tom Cruise. Some of his scenes in Cool Hand Luke, in fact the whole movie, seemed to be geared to the gays.

by Anonymousreply 7111/26/2012

R71, yes i believe that strongly too. There was certainly something homoerotic in Paul. You can see it in the posture of his body and in many of his photos. If you asked me i would say with an almost unbeatable conviction, that he was certainly bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 7211/26/2012

[quote]Until the very end Joanne and Paul stayed as one. Their marriage worked out and lasted until [bold]Paul's final death[/bold]. Joanne was of course by his side.

Are you saying he died more than once? I've never heard that before.

by Anonymousreply 7311/26/2012

Paul reached death more than once with his illness, that's why i wrote that sugar R73.

by Anonymousreply 7411/26/2012

He came close to death, or he was pronounced clinically dead, R74? I was upset enough by his death that I never read any accounts of the end so this is news to me.

Please don't call me sugar, Flo.

by Anonymousreply 7511/26/2012

I would agree with that r12, but he certainly has not aged like Newman.

by Anonymousreply 7611/26/2012 are impossible but i guess you already know that. Lol! Can you relax and be less tight and superficial? Jesus! I think i've made my point pretty clear, stop ridiculing everything you see written.

Why i shouldn't call you sugar? Are you bitter?

by Anonymousreply 7711/26/2012

[quote]I would hate to look like him. I did once before acne re-mapped my face and I hated it. I abhor mere prettiness.

Poor Richard Burton, quoted at R30. The grapes were especially sour that year.

He never looked as good as Paul Newman, not even before his face got pitted. Burton was a fine-looking man when he was younger, but Newman was always better looking because he looked like he had a well developed sense of humor and his face was simply more interesting.

They were both drunks and Newman smoked (don't know about Burton but I assume he did too). Newman seems to have spent a lot of time in the sun, but for some reason none of that damaged him the way alcohol ravaged Burton. Burton was a miserable unhappy man and I haven't ever heard anyone say that about Newman.

by Anonymousreply 7811/26/2012

Burton realized he'd compromised his career after he left his wife Sybil and went Hollywood. His career deserved a better trajectory. Burton ended up a spendthrift alcoholic with everyone living off of him. His was a rather sad slide of epic proportions. In a life of material splendor, his artistic growth stunted, and the Welsh guilt over his own soul pushed him further into the bottle.

by Anonymousreply 7911/26/2012

Newman with first wife Jackie Witte and their young son Scott in 1955. Scott tragically died of a drug overdose in 1978. Newman started the Scott Newman Foundation to help others recover from drug addiction.

by Anonymousreply 8011/26/2012

Behind those blue eyes...and funny sunglasses

by Anonymousreply 8111/26/2012

Joanne Woodward: “Being married to Paul is being married to the most considerate, romantic man.”

by Anonymousreply 8211/26/2012

“He has good character, and not many people do. I think he would rather not do anything wrong, whether on a moral or an artistic level. He is what you call a man of conscious- not necessarily of judgement, but of conscious. I don’t know any other actors like that.” -Gore Vidal on Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 8311/26/2012

Paul Newman's letter to his wife on their wedding day...

“Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created. In the Art of Marriage, the little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say ‘I love you’ at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry. It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon; it should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family. It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have the wings of an angel. It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is finding rooms for things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful. It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.”

by Anonymousreply 8411/26/2012

Paul and Joanne set a marriage benchmark in a number of ways.

1. They lasted when most Hollywood couples don't.

2. They lasted for 50 years. (Which is remarkable, because nowadays only five percent of couples make it to that anniversary.)

The pair's marriage lasted 50 years but began as an adulterous affair. But Newman wasn't cheating so much as he was recognizing that he'd found his ideal partner.The divorce from his first wife Jackie Witte went through, but it remained one of the strangest things about Paul's entire life. He danced gingerly around questions about his time with Jackie: 'I was probably too immature to make a success of my first marriage,' was all he would say. When pressed, he replied: 'What happened to us during that period is nobody's business.' He did, however, confess to one emotion. 'Guilty as hell' was how he described himself about his first marriage, adding: 'And I'll carry it with me for the rest of my life.'

by Anonymousreply 8511/26/2012

Paul was hot! Nice sixpack.

by Anonymousreply 8611/26/2012

Paul was a beautiful human being

by Anonymousreply 8711/27/2012

Paul with his wife and Robert Wagner

by Anonymousreply 8811/27/2012

is it true Paul fucked James Dean?

by Anonymousreply 8911/27/2012

R89, there are rumors but only Paul and James know for sure.

by Anonymousreply 9011/27/2012

R77, you didn't make your point clearly at all; that's why I was asking. I wasn't making fun of you or anyone else.

Never mind, I googled and got the answers.

I asked you not to call me sugar because it's both vulgar and a put-down. Well, unless you're chomping a couple of sticks of gum and you're a red-headed waitress in a diner.

by Anonymousreply 9111/27/2012 frustrate me so with your lack of tenderness and kindness. I should put you on ignore immediately, because i feel that you are a creepy and a nerdy jerk. In other words, you behave like a big swollen asshole. If you think that calling someone sugar is vulgar, then you are vulgar yourself and nobody needs you if you are like that. At least not a woman in her right mind.

by Anonymousreply 9211/27/2012

r84 brought a tiny tear to my eye.

by Anonymousreply 9311/27/2012

Paul with Clint Eastwood, yes that photo!

by Anonymousreply 9411/27/2012

Paul Newman's senior picture in 1943 at Shaker Heights High School. He is 18 years old in this photo and he looks so much younger!

by Anonymousreply 9511/27/2012

That's a hot pic at R94. I think Clint was probably the top.

by Anonymousreply 9611/27/2012

Did he and Redford ever make wild passionate man love?

by Anonymousreply 9711/27/2012

R97 are sweet. I personally don't know the answer of your question.

by Anonymousreply 9811/28/2012

A gayish photo of Paul with Robert Redford

by Anonymousreply 9911/28/2012

That link R2 posted broke my computer. When I clicked on it all the color went away. Virus alert!

by Anonymousreply 10011/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 10111/28/2012

His son Scott was beautiful. What a waste.

by Anonymousreply 10211/28/2012

Oh, this is Paul's son? The one who died? What a pity, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 10311/28/2012

Paul with Frank Sinatra

by Anonymousreply 10412/02/2012

Sugary Newman.

by Anonymousreply 10512/02/2012

Beautiful and as nice as a human being can be. Nobody has a flawless character but Paul tried not to hurt others much.

by Anonymousreply 10612/02/2012

Paul with his daughter Susan

by Anonymousreply 10712/04/2012

Am I imagining the subtext in "Harper", or was it just Paul's sexuality/real chemistry with men bleeding over into the work?

by Anonymousreply 10812/09/2012

TCM queen, some others too have detected homosexual subtext in 'Harper', however i didn't view it. Maybe Paul and Robert Wagner had something intensely bisexual in them (personally, i think that both Paul and Wagner was very bisexual-looking, in general) and they made some people thought about it in the movie. Nonetheless, 'Harper' as a movie is not homoerotic at all.

by Anonymousreply 10912/11/2012

Paul Newman and Robert Wagner in a car together for the movie 'Harper'...

by Anonymousreply 11012/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 11112/14/2012

Guys, you two were terrific together. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 11212/14/2012

In Darwin Porter's book on Newman he cliams they had an affair and Newman was bi and when he first came to hollywood, he had many affiars with both men and woman.

by Anonymousreply 11312/14/2012

James Dean says "kiss me" Paul newman says "can't here" lol

by Anonymousreply 11412/14/2012

by Anonymousreply 11512/14/2012

He was like a kid too. Look at him!

by Anonymousreply 11612/14/2012

Paul had charm and beauty and i have reasons to believe that he was a truly good person. It's rare to see male actors so beautiful, sweet, humorous and tender like Paul.

He made some mistakes with his first marriage, but everyone makes fucking mistakes and Paul did so many good things in his life!

by Anonymousreply 11712/14/2012

Puppy face

by Anonymousreply 11812/14/2012

A big kid

by Anonymousreply 11912/14/2012

With Anthony Perkins!

by Anonymousreply 12012/14/2012

Paul was awesome. You know that!

by Anonymousreply 12112/16/2012

To know him is to love him

by Anonymousreply 12212/16/2012

He fell for Joanne

by Anonymousreply 12312/16/2012

I think that Paul with Joanne opened up many cool and positive sides of himself

by Anonymousreply 12412/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 12512/16/2012

In that pic with Robert Newman and Joanne, him and Robert both have that 'we just fucked' guilty look. Joanne looked so much older than him.

by Anonymousreply 12612/30/2012

I love that Paul Newman and Gore Vidal were super-close bosom buddies all of their adult lives.

by Anonymousreply 12712/30/2012

Vidal & Newman did this same pose with Woodward many times throughout their lives.

by Anonymousreply 12812/30/2012

R128 supposedly Joanne had a romantic affair with Vidal and not Newman. Have you got anything to say on this?

by Anonymousreply 12912/30/2012

Paul as a father

by Anonymousreply 13012/30/2012

r128 you fail at posting links.

by Anonymousreply 13112/30/2012

CBS This Morning Saturday had a long clip of Paul and Joanne very early in their marriage. He was stunningly gorgeous and looked like a model.

He also came across as bi.

No link as I couldn't find one.

by Anonymousreply 13201/06/2013

by Anonymousreply 13303/04/2013

I wonder how he and Brandon got along on off and on the Hud set?

by Anonymousreply 13403/04/2013

R134, sorry, personally i don't know the answer of your question

Below there is a gorgeous photo of Paul

by Anonymousreply 13503/13/2013

On set...

by Anonymousreply 13603/22/2013

During read-throughs of The Long, Hot Summer (1958)

by Anonymousreply 13703/22/2013

Paul in dark

by Anonymousreply 13803/22/2013

His beauty peaked at about 17, same as yours OP.

by Anonymousreply 13903/22/2013

Paul & Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

by Anonymousreply 14003/22/2013

Paul’s Navy portrait pt. 3.

How gay!

by Anonymousreply 14103/22/2013

Paul and Scott Newman

by Anonymousreply 14203/22/2013

with Joanne and four of his six children

by Anonymousreply 14303/22/2013

by Anonymousreply 14403/22/2013

Paul Newman at the Actors Studio in New York City circa 1950s

by Anonymousreply 14503/22/2013

A photograph of film stars Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward features on the poster for this year's Cannes Film Festival. Organisers said they chose the image, taken during the filming of 1963 movie, A New Kind of Love, to pay tribute to Newman, who died in 2008. The festival runs from 15 - 26 May.

by Anonymousreply 14603/22/2013

Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 14807/13/2013

During read-throughs of The Long, Hot Summer (1958)

by Anonymousreply 14907/13/2013

Why he got to drinking?

by Anonymousreply 15007/13/2013

Paul Newman photographed at home, 1958.

by Anonymousreply 15107/13/2013

Paul Newman photographed by Gene Lesser on the set of Cool Hand Luke

by Anonymousreply 15207/13/2013

(When a photo seems cache or forbidden, color the address of the link which is at the top of the page and then press the button ENTER. Then the photo will appear.)

Paul Newman photographed by Roddy McDowall, 1965

by Anonymousreply 15307/13/2013

Paul Newman was a class act; smart, sexy, generous and kind. He was committed equally to justice and pranks. He was something you don’t hear mentioned often these days; a good man. —Susan Sarandon

by Anonymousreply 15407/13/2013

Aside from being gorgeous and and all around great guy. His mouth/lips are perfect. Damn!!

by Anonymousreply 15507/13/2013

Is it true about Newman and the buckets of ice water thing?

by Anonymousreply 15607/13/2013

In 1978, Paul Newman's son Scott Newman, who was an aspiring actor in his own right, was found dead in a hotel after overdosing on pills and alcohol. He was 28.

by Anonymousreply 15712/03/2013

He has a perfect mouth

by Anonymousreply 15812/03/2013

Paul Newman and Barbara Bohnet, Kenyon College, 1947

by Anonymousreply 15912/03/2013

Paul Newman, Kenyon Alumnus, visiting campus, with R. Edwin Moore and Richard Taomas

by Anonymousreply 16012/03/2013

Paul Newman, 1949

by Anonymousreply 16112/03/2013

The Interim Committee, 1948, Paul Newman is the second boy on the right

by Anonymousreply 16212/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 16312/03/2013

by Anonymousreply 16412/04/2013

Dude looks like a lady

by Anonymousreply 16512/04/2013

Now what if Paul Newman in that first pic looked like that today and wanted to date Tom Daley? Would would still be up in arms??

by Anonymousreply 16612/04/2013

Loool R166!

'From the Terrace' (1960)

by Anonymousreply 16712/04/2013

I wonder if...did he swing both ways? I think he did!

by Anonymousreply 16812/04/2013

Not that it would make any difference, just wonder...

by Anonymousreply 16912/04/2013

Look out or you will awaken the ghost of DAVID EHRENSTEIN.

by Anonymousreply 17012/04/2013

Oh, ok...

by Anonymousreply 17112/04/2013

The cast of "The Towering Inferno"

by Anonymousreply 17201/15/2014

On the set of 'Exodus'

by Anonymousreply 17301/31/2014

Paul Newman speaks during a democratic television telethon circa 1960’s.

by Anonymousreply 17401/31/2014

"Ever since “Slapshot” I`ve been swearing more. I knew I had a problem one day when I turned to my daughter and said: `Would you please pass the fucking salt?`." - Paul Newman

by Anonymousreply 17501/31/2014

Paul Newman take his dogs for a walk in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 17601/31/2014

Tres gay

by Anonymousreply 17701/31/2014

Very beautiful indeed.

by Anonymousreply 17801/31/2014

Those eyes...

by Anonymousreply 17901/31/2014

Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, and Faye Dunaway Photo

by Anonymousreply 18001/31/2014

With a can of beer on his hand and Joanne Woodward on his side

by Anonymousreply 18101/31/2014

The color photograph is from a series used for a 1968 feature in LIFE MAGAZINE so NEWMAN would have been 43 at the time. He was beautiful, wasn't he ?

by Anonymousreply 18201/31/2014

Yes KELT, Paul certainly was gorgeous at almost any age!

by Anonymousreply 18301/31/2014

1962 Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman Vintage Press Photo

by Anonymousreply 18401/31/2014

'The Sweet Bird of Youth'

With Geraldine Page

by Anonymousreply 18501/31/2014

1970 Press Photo Actor Anthony Perkins, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

by Anonymousreply 18601/31/2014

He truly was blessed with a lot: those blue eyes, great skin, handsome face, fine body. His only flaw, if you can call it that, was that he wasn't tall. But who cares? He was so beautiful that it almost hurt to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 18701/31/2014

Hands down, one of THE most talented actors of any American generation & definitely among the best-looking, ever.

His roles in "Hud" & "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" were especially amazing, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 18801/31/2014

He and Tom Cruise were pretty good friends.

by Anonymousreply 18901/31/2014

Redford and Newman eventually became fairly good professional friends, although it could not be said that they were terrible close. For one thing, their temperaments were very different. Although Newman could be quite political in his own way-Joanne was the catalyst in this-he was not quite as committed as Redford, who occasionally found Newman to be rather frivolous.

Paul Newman said that he admires Redford:'He's not been sucked in by fashionable things and he keeps his life to himself, and he's very comfortable in his own skin, i think.' But he admits that when the two try to have a conversation there are always long pauses because they are both very private people. 'We both look at the floor', said Newman. On another occasion, Newman said, 'I have known the man for over forty years and i don't know him, not really.'

For his part, Redford said of Newman that he admires the way acting came naturally for Newman when it didn't for him. When Newman toyed with the idea of filming the gay novel 'The Front Runner', which delineated the affair between a coach and a younger athlete(he dropped in order to do 'Slap Shot'), some people believed the stories that Redford would play Newman's younger lover. It is unlikely Newman approached Redford about the film-although not impossible-primarily because there was a much greater age difference between the characters in 'The Front Runner' than there is between Newman and Redford; the coach is middle-aged and the athlete he falls in love with is in his twenties.

In any case, it is doubtful that Redford who fretted so over his gay/bisexual role in 'Inside Daisy Clover', would have had the courage to even consider playing a part in 'The Front Runner'. Newman certainly lost his courage when he opted for the less controversial 'Slap Shot'.

While Newman and Joanne Woodward seem to be supporters of gay rights, Redford has never stood up for gays in any strong public manner, although he has allowed many gay-themed films to be shown at his Sundance Festival and openly supported them.

(excerpts from the book 'The Sundance Kid: An Unauthorized Biography of Robert Redford')

by Anonymousreply 19002/04/2014

Home video of Paul with Natalie Wood and others (including Jane Fonda) at a backyard BBQ in Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 19104/20/2014

I think he looked even more gorgeous a deade later when he was fully grey and a had a few more lines. Absence of Malice and The Verdict was when he looked the best. What was he, mid/ late 50s? Impressive. No one has aged better, ever.

by Anonymousreply 19204/20/2014

I've read that Redford wasn't interested in any participation of THE FRONT RUNNER. Also that Redford claims that he hadn't known the Wade Lewis character in INSIDE DAISY CLOVER was bi-sexual and that he felt tricked when they had edited in dialogue in scenes where he was not to fill in the audience on Wade's true nature. Redford, typically for men and particularly so for that era didn't like being perceived in such a way.

by Anonymousreply 19304/20/2014

Joanne Woodward = HOME-WRECKER

by Anonymousreply 19404/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!