Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Walmart CEO Pay: More in an Hour Than Workers Get All Year?

By Ed Smith's math, the CEO of Walmart earns more in an hour than his employees will earn in a year.

Smith, an alderman in Chicago, presented posters at a city council meeting showing that Walmart CEO Michael Duke's $35 million salary, when converted to an hourly wage, worked out to $16,826.92. By comparison, at a Walmart store planned for the Windy City's Pullman neighborhood, new employees to be paid $8.75 an hour would gross $13,650 a year.

Smith's numbers could be a bit off. Equilar, an executive compensation research firm, calculates that Duke earned just south of $20 million in 2009 and $28 million in 2008, not counting millions of dollars in potential performance awards. But the alderman argued that there's still a "sad" contrast between Duke's compensation and the wages of his employees.

"How can you go to bed at night and sleep knowing you make this kind of money and the people working for you can hardly buy a package of beans and rice?" he asked in an interview with

Walmart, meanwhile, said that its wages across the country are competitive in local markets and that on average, hourly employee pay -- which includes more experienced workers but not managers -- ranges from $10 to more than $12.

The retail giant made no apologies for Duke's salary.

"I don't think Mike Duke needs, as the CEO of a Fortune 1 company, needs me to defend his compensation package," said Walmart director of community affairs Steven Restivo, referring to Walmart's status as the largest company on the planet.

The debate over Walmart wages has been a thorny local issue in Chicago, where city aldermen on Wednesday reluctantly approved plans for a new Walmart store. It also speaks to continued concerns nationwide over the pay gap between top executives and their rank-and-file employees.

A study last fall by the Institute for Policy Studies, a liberal Washington D.C. research group, found that CEOs in the country's S&P 500 companies make, on average, 319 times more than the average American worker.

IPS associate fellow Sam Pizzigati said that in the 1970s, that ratio was 30 to 1.

"We've seen, over the past three decades, a tenfold-plus increase in the gap between top executives and average American workers," Pizzigati said. "That Chicago alderman is putting his finger on a very real problem in American economic life."

Why the Pay Gap Has Grown

Pizzigati said the reasons for the yawning gap are two-fold. Declining top-bracket tax rates over the last half-century, he said, took away a strong disincentive for company boards to keep a lid on CEO pay.

The top marginal tax rate, he said, dropped from 91 percent in the 1960s to 28 percent in 1980s. It stands at 35 percent today.

"If you look at historical record, executive pay really started exploding in early 1980s," he said. "That's when the top rate started precipitously falling."

On the worker side, Pizzigati said, wages have been hurt by the declining power of U.S. organized labor. When it represented more than one-third of the American workforce, unions could influence wages -- and force them higher -- throughout the labor market. With just seven percent of Americans represented by unions today, Pizzigati said, that's no longer the case.

Paul Hodgson, a senior research associate at the executive compensation watchdog group The Corporate Library, attributed the gap to another factor: the use of stock awards in CEO pay. Notwithstanding the recent financial crisis, stocks have seen tremendous gains since the 1980s and that, he said, has been reflected in CEO compensation.

As a result, he said, "CEO pay has been growing exponentially while everyone else's wages have been growing arithmetically."

Companies that shell out blockbuster salaries and benefits maintain that high compensation is necessary to attract the best talent to top positions.

In Chicago, in recent years the compensation issue has centered largely on so-called big box stores like Walmart. In 2006, the city's mayor vetoed a resolution by the city council to raise minimum hourly pay by giant retailers in the city to $10 plus $3 worth of benefits.

Chicago Labor Leaders Wanted Higher Pay at Walmart

This week's approval of the new Walmart store came despite demands by labor organizers that Walmart, a non-union company, should pay at least $11 an hour to new employees. Walmart countered that the $8.75 it plans to pay -- which is 50 cents above Chicago's minimum wage -- is more than the starting hourly wages of unionized grocery store workers in the area.

An organizer for Local 881 United Food and Commercial Workers declined to comment on wages for union members, citing ongoing contract negotiations, but said that, overall, members receive better health insurance and retirement benefits than Walmart employees. (In its defense, Walmart said its health insurance plans offer "a wide range of options" and trumpeted its 401k and profit sharing plans.)

Smith said he ultimately decided to join his fellow aldermen in unanimously voting to allow the Pullman store because of the jobs the store is expected to create and its addition to the city's tax base.

He, too, would have liked to see the retailer pay at least $11 an hour to new employees, but added that he's glad Walmart's $8.75 starting pay is above minimum wage.

"As Kenny Rogers says, 'You gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold 'em,'" Smith said. "So that's what we did."

by Anonymousreply 4610/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 107/03/2010

Years ago, I worked at a financing company and one afternoon, my coworkers and I had some downtime and we wound up discussing how much money the CEO made, and converted that into what he'd make hourly and it was more than what we made on a yearly basis. This was 15 years ago.

My point is that most corporations have overpaid CEOs. But it never used to be like that until the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 207/03/2010

by Anonymousreply 307/03/2010

Unbridled capitalism is just as evil as communism, IMO.

It is morally wrong for these CEOs to be making that sort of money. Garish and disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 407/03/2010

If labor unions represent only 7 percent of US workers, how can Repubs, Libertarians, talk radio hosts, and the MSM get away with the Big Lie about unions killing the economy and controlling the Democratic Party?%0D %0D And don't tell me it's about how powerful unions USED to be.

by Anonymousreply 507/03/2010

Judging from the posts on the 'Arnie cuts CA workers pay to minimum wage thread' right here on DL, I'd say most of America and 99 per cent of DL is just fine with America becoming the land of the very wealthy 1 percent and the dirt poor 99 percent.

by Anonymousreply 607/03/2010

A few years ago a woman wrote a book about working minimum wage jobs (Nickel and Dimed-?): nursing home aide, cleaning houses, waitressing, etc. in which she worked a month or two at each and tried to live on the salary she was earning. She could barely do it. Then the last one was working for Walmart and she threw in the towel. It was the most horribly depressing book you'll ever read.

by Anonymousreply 707/03/2010

It's always funny when you hear people defend this and say that the rich support the economy by providing jobs for others... as though we live in a fucking fiefdom and we all want to work in service of them.

by Anonymousreply 807/03/2010

Yes, r7, Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich.

by Anonymousreply 907/03/2010

If this upsets you, do not shop at Walmart. Free enterprise just works like this. If enough people don't shop there they will close down.

by Anonymousreply 1007/03/2010

I've never shopped there, nor do I ever plan to.

by Anonymousreply 1107/03/2010

Walmart is the new center of evil in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 1207/03/2010

i think the new feudalism is simply fantastic. i'm glad i thought of it.

by Anonymousreply 1307/03/2010

I guess he makes 10 times the salary of all the 9 year old Chinese girls who make the stuff Walmart sells.

by Anonymousreply 1407/03/2010

People should print out the story, shop for an item in Walmart and give the story to the cashier. That's one way to spread it around.

by Anonymousreply 1507/06/2010

I'm sure this happens with most large American Corporations too.

by Anonymousreply 1607/06/2010

r18 - He may be doing a good job at turning profits, but he's also doing a damn good job at impoverishing a whole class of people. This in turn places stress on state governments. In many states, Wal-Mart workers are a huge percentage of working poor on public health assistance.

by Anonymousreply 1907/06/2010

I think he's tremendous!

by Anonymousreply 2007/06/2010

R18, Aside from the US and England, I meant to add China%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D And look the wonderful products that are exclusively sold in their stores in China

by Anonymousreply 2107/06/2010

This man is a piece of shit human being who is not worth this sort of money. NO ONE is!!

by Anonymousreply 2207/07/2010

Forbes has very different figures. Qccording to them Duke is only the 65th best paid CEO and his annual salary and benefits isn't what is quoted above.

by Anonymousreply 2307/07/2010

[quote]i think the new feudalism is simply fantastic. i'm glad i thought of it.%0D %0D Bill and I have done quite well through Wal-Mart too.

by Anonymousreply 2407/07/2010

I'm not sure of the compnay in Australia but I think it's either Woolworths or Harvey Norman but the rule is that the CEO can only make 30 times more than the lowest paid employee.

by Anonymousreply 2507/07/2010

That makes a lot more sense to me R25.

by Anonymousreply 2607/07/2010

[quote]If labor unions represent only 7 percent of US workers, how can Repubs, Libertarians, talk radio hosts, and the MSM get away with the Big Lie about unions killing the economy and controlling the Democratic Party? And don't tell me it's about how powerful unions USED to be.

I'd like to know this too. (Where did you get the 7% number though?)

by Anonymousreply 2707/07/2010

Barbara E. also wrote a book "Bait & Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream" -about how impossible it is for educated middle-aged people to ever get re-hired after losing their jobs. Good book, equally depressing.

by Anonymousreply 2807/07/2010

Thanks Shitt! But we already know your views on the 47%!

by Anonymousreply 3010/09/2012

[quote]If this upsets you, do not shop at Walmart. If enough people don't shop there they will close down.

The problem is, with all these employees now making only $8.75/hr (and Walmart squashing all the competition out of existence), people HAVE to shop there! They can no longer afford to shop anywhere else. It's a self-feeding race to the bottom.

What I don't get is, Walmart is always forcing their suppliers down in price...why don't they do the same with this guy??

by Anonymousreply 3110/09/2012

But, but he deserves it! He works hard! Those lazy employees are losers.

by Anonymousreply 3210/09/2012

[quote]OP, you wouldn't want the government to limit the amount of money you make, so don't wish it on others.

Actually, through federal tax policy, that is exactly what I want, just as it was for decades. And the reason I want it is that it's better, overall, for the entire country, including that CEO, as it makes for a stronger middle class who are better able to purchase the items he's selling.

by Anonymousreply 3310/09/2012

What employees need to do is bring back strong unions and strike when necessary. Yes, I know some unions went overboard back in the day - but in our current state of employee/employer relations there is absolutely NO ONE looking out for the working stiffs anymore. If all of the U.S. employees in WalMart went on strike - maybe some changes would be made.

All this time wasted cursing out the CEO for making too much $$$$ is useless.

Organize and fight for rights. It's truly the only way that has EVER worked.

by Anonymousreply 3410/09/2012

If people would stop shopping at Walmart until they paid their wokers a reasonable would be nice. Then if Walmart shaped up, we could work on Target...they are really involved with the master/slave dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 3510/09/2012

by Anonymousreply 3610/09/2012

Who actually shops there? If it were the last store on earth, I would learn to make my own soap and detergent.

by Anonymousreply 3710/09/2012

This is increasingly true of most Major US Corporations today.

by Anonymousreply 3810/10/2012

If Romney wins this will only get worse

by Anonymousreply 3910/10/2012

If America cared about workers...there would be laws to protect workers, instead there are laws to protect corporations.

by Anonymousreply 4110/10/2012

[quote]Sorry, what does what he's paid have to do with anything?

by Anonymousreply 4210/10/2012

America is run by the Corporations.

Elections are pure theater of illusion.

by Anonymousreply 4310/11/2012

If we could get our country back...many CEOs should be sent to the guillotine. This is a serious problem and needs to be dealt with in a very serious way. They are robbing us of our lives, turning us into slaves, they should pay a very heavy price for what they have done. And the congress that allowed it? They should be rounded up wherever they are and they should be tarred and feathered.

by Anonymousreply 4410/11/2012

Why don't company shareholders have a bigger say in what these CEOs are paid?? I can't imagine they'd be for salaries this big.

by Anonymousreply 4610/11/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!