Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Serious Request for Advice: New Neighbors Next Door Smoke

I'm allergic to smoke, and so is my partner (!) and we're sick for a day after a slight exposure. It's physical, not psychological. New neighbors next door moved in, who apparently like both to spend a lot of time outside and to do their smoking out of doors. It's close quarters between our houses, with their deck close to our property line. We have hollies planted for privacy between them. We haven't met them yet - they moved in last week.

My partner and I were out at 9 yesterday morning in our yard. At 9:15 the neighbors were out, smoking. We tried moving to the side yard on the other side of the building, but the smoke followed us. So we went in. We tried later, and out they were again. Same thing this morning. We went out this afternoon. The neighbors came out and started smoking.

What would you suggest? Do we wait until we know each other and try to cover the topic, somehow? It doesn't look hopeful - they look like suburbanites who have moved into the city and they appear to drink a lot. Party people. I wish smokers would understand that smoke doesn't just disappear outside where the air is still and people are close to each other.

After eight years living next door to the place as a drug hole where teen prostitution went on, and then eight years of sitting next to it empty and derelict, as we landscaped and mowed and did everything to keep it from looking like what it was, it would be nice to have an agreeable resolution.

The big problem is that given today's lack of common ground and fractured mores and anger and broken communities, there doesn't seem to be a basis from which to start . . .

by Anonymousreply 39404/19/2015

Move to Maine.

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2010

[quote]I'm allergic to smoke, and so is my partner (!) and we're sick for a day after a slight exposure. It's physical, not psychological. No, it's psychological. You and your partner suffer from Uptight Queen Syndrome. Symptoms include pearl-clutching at the sight of unruly children, and sphincter-clenching upon encountering a faint cigarette smell.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2010

You're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2010

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2010

You should make sure no cars drive by your house because the exhaust from cars is FAR more toxic than any cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 1506/30/2010

R12 is wrong on #1. I've been allergic to all kinds of smoke all my life -- it's hell during field burning season here in the semi-rural Midwest -- but had a slight resistance built up to it when I lived with my parents, both smokers. As an adult, I visited my parents for holidays, and twice after Thanksgiving I ended up in the emergency room because I couldn't breathe after being exposed to their smoky house for an afternoon.

That said, my pollen and smoke allergies are getting worse as the years go on, but even *I* don't have much problem with smoke outside, especially not if the smoking was done next door for Pete's sake.

If you're just overly irritated by the smell, then I suggest using a light outdoor fan to blow the smoke away.

by Anonymousreply 1706/30/2010

[quote]After eight years living next door to the place as a drug hole where teen prostitution went on, and then eight years of sitting next to it empty and derelict,%0D %0D Honey, second hand smoke is the least of your problems. Where do you live, exactly? Detroit?

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2010

Is this the same smoke monster that was on LOST?

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2010

[quote]As an adult, I visited my parents for holidays, and twice after Thanksgiving I ended up in the emergency room because I couldn't breathe after being exposed to their smoky house for an afternoon. That's asthma, and being locked up in your parents' smoky house all day is a FAR cry from becoming "sick for a full day" after a "slight exposure," as the OP claims he does.

by Anonymousreply 2106/30/2010

op, you mean to tell me none of those whores and druggies smoked?

The smell of burning crack didn't bug you?

How can you drive in traffic? What the fuck to you do if you are stuck in bumper to bumper highway traffic? You must want to blow your brains out.

You poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 2206/30/2010

I smell lesbian drama.

by Anonymousreply 2306/30/2010

There's an easy answer if you're allergic to secondhand smoke: Start smoking.

Firsthand smoke is much better anyway.

by Anonymousreply 2406/30/2010

Your breasts are jiggling, R2.

by Anonymousreply 2506/30/2010

I forgot how much I love Dr. Amy Bishop posts! Thanks Amy!

by Anonymousreply 2606/30/2010

Jesus Fucking Christ.%0D %0D You're NOT ALLERGIC TO SMOKE, OP.%0D %0D Christ, you anti-smoking nazis are just as delicate as porcelin butterflies. And you're passive aggressive too.%0D %0D Get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 2706/30/2010

I hope they throw peanuts at the OP while they're smoking. Just like he was a little pigeon. You just know the OP has a sensitivity to peanuts.

by Anonymousreply 2806/30/2010

[quote]we're sick for a day after a slight exposure.%0D %0D Oh, honestly. I'm not a smoker, but if you approached me with this bullshit I'd dismiss you as a loon.

by Anonymousreply 2906/30/2010

Thread not going as you had planned, is it OP.

by Anonymousreply 3006/30/2010

"We have hollies planted for privacy between them."

A bit too elaborate.

by Anonymousreply 3106/30/2010

WE had a case about this in Stow, Ohio. You can search the archives in about it.%0D %0D The neighbor was allergic to smoke, the smoking neighbors went outside to smoke, the whiny neighbor sued the smoking neighbor, complained he could smell the smoke with all his windows closed- even during the winter, blah, blah, blah.%0D %0D The smoking neighbor won the case and the whiny neighbor was pissed. (I think he was professor at Kent State).%0D %0D All parties were straight and hateful.%0D %0D I'm an ex-smoker but sided with the smoker. It was her apartment and her patio.%0D %0D I think you should move, OP. Sell the shack for what you can get for it and head for the hills. I mean, if you live in a neighborhood that had teenage prostitution, how much could your property be worth now?%0D %0D And you are worried about smoke? %0D %0D %0D MARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY!

by Anonymousreply 3206/30/2010

As my sweet old dad used to say to me when I would complain about his cigarette smoke in an enclosed car, "Shut the hell up".

There really is something to be said about the old days.

by Anonymousreply 3306/30/2010

I haven't read the entire thread, but FUCK what R12 said. I am highly allergic to cigarette smoke. I will have a severe migraine for the entire day after breathing in secondhand smoke. My nose is extemely sensitive to it and I usually can smell smoke before anyone else around me can.%0D %0D I empathize with you, OP. I don't know what your set up is but is there anyway you could put an outdoor fan on your deck to blow the smoke out of your direction? Plant more plants? If I were in your situation I would seriously consider moving. Even if they smoked on the other side of the deck I'd be able to smell it. Is it even worth bringing it up?%0D %0D Wish I could help you, bro.

by Anonymousreply 3406/30/2010

I bet you're allergic to peanuts too, R34.

by Anonymousreply 3506/30/2010

R34 is full of bullshit.%0D %0D Much like this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3606/30/2010

I like how no one was "allergic" to smoke 50 years ago. Now, because smoking has been proven to be a health detriment, people have decided they're ALLERGIC to secondhand smoke. It's just people wanting to control the behaviors of other people. That's what this ALL boils down to.

by Anonymousreply 3706/30/2010

What R37 said. Oh, and I'll throw in another MARY for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 3806/30/2010

Tobacco smoke can be an irritant but it has not been proven to be an allergen. In fact cigarette smoke may have a beneficial effect upon people with allergies (see article at link).

by Anonymousreply 3906/30/2010

Allergic or not, you're not happy with the situation. Remain constructive. Think about how you'd want to be treated.

Outdoor fan, good idea.

Asking them what THEY think can be done might be a good place to start. Make it clear that the best solution is something that works for everyone.

At some point smoking is legal and that ends the discussion. You've got to work within that boundary.

by Anonymousreply 4006/30/2010

Move, you whiny little twerp. And move into a place where smoking is prohibited.%0D %0D There is no such thing as a "smoke allergy". Your body is merely responding to SMOKE. Breating in cigarette smoke does nothing to your immune system, and that's why it's not a real allergy.%0D %0D [quote]After eight years living next door to the place as a drug hole where teen prostitution went on, and then eight years of sitting next to it empty and derelict, as we landscaped and mowed and did everything to keep it from looking like what it was, it would be nice to have an agreeable resolution.%0D %0D Your first mistake was moving into a place like that. Of course your neighbors will be smokers in a trashy area like that.

by Anonymousreply 4106/30/2010

What R40 said. I can't stand cigarette smoke but I would take that any day over the kid who has been screaming for six fucking years, over the back fence and down two houses (I posted about this a few years ago. Yesterday the parents gave this terror a vuvuzela.%0D %0D %0D I could use suggestions, too.

by Anonymousreply 4206/30/2010

r42, I suggest the Paul Lynde approach on his parents.

"Are you the parents of this little shit who keeps playing the vuvuzela? Because if you don't shut him up..."

by Anonymousreply 4306/30/2010

I like the fan response.

I don't smoke and really hate it when people smoke outside my window (because they don't want to smoke up *their* homes).

My sympathies, OP, it sucks just like loud music that won't quit.

Unfortunately, I think trying to direct the smoke away from you is the best solution. It's your property, you have control over what you want to do. It won't stop it, but I think it will help limit the smoke coming your way, and that's what you want to stop.

by Anonymousreply 4406/30/2010

Have sex in the front yard. They already have the cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 4506/30/2010

[quote]At some point smoking is legal And outdoors on your own property, it is likely to remain that way. Assuming you are sincere, OP, you may have to move to a place where your nearest neighbor is acres away. I know a young woman who gags at the smell of cooking meat and can't be near people eating meat. She can't go to parks where people are cooking out. She avoids most restaurants. But she realizes it is her problem, not others'. If I were her next-door neighbor and she asked me not to barbecue steaks on my deck because the smell drifts into her yard, I would have to find a polite and civil way to ask her to fuck off. But this would never happen, because she seems to understand there are some things she can't control. She jokes about, actually.

by Anonymousreply 4606/30/2010

In some California towns, it is illegal to smoke outdoors. Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 4706/30/2010

Or the kid who rides his Big Wheel up and down the driveway on Saturday mornings.

by Anonymousreply 4806/30/2010

Heaven forbid if your neighbors like to grill over charcoal.

If that happens, call 911.

by Anonymousreply 4906/30/2010

As if they'll make it to the phone in time, R49. Both OP and his partner will puff up and turn blue before the neighbors even flip their burgers.

by Anonymousreply 5006/30/2010

grow up and toughen up you obnoxious queens. People smoke and no you're not allergic to it... you just don't like the smell.

i don't smoke but i have bigger things to worry about than breathing in a little smoke now and then. Maybe they hate the pollen from your fucking holly trees

by Anonymousreply 5106/30/2010

I grew up, as did most everyone under 45 or so, in a household headed by parents of the WW2 era, most of whom smoked constantly and with great vigor. I'm amused by my contempories, who now act as if the faintest scent of smoke is equivalent of exposure to mustard gas.%0D %0D OP is a troll, but a very amusing one.

by Anonymousreply 5206/30/2010

Should read: "OVER 45 or so"

by Anonymousreply 5306/30/2010

But we are such delicate hothouse orchids! We positively break out into a major RASH if a cigarette is smoked within a mile of us!

by Anonymousreply 5406/30/2010

Before I quit smoking, a neighbor lady asked me to stop smoking on my deck, because she could smell the smoke when she was gardening.%0D %0D We lived in a rural subdivision in Washington state, and each of us had a quarter acre lot.%0D %0D I suggested that she garden on that side of her before 10 a.m. %0D %0D She later brought me some strange Swedish fish as a peace offering. The fish stank to high heaven, but every one in that are loved it.

by Anonymousreply 5506/30/2010

"that side of her house"..sorry.

by Anonymousreply 5606/30/2010

It's called lutefisk R55.

by Anonymousreply 5706/30/2010

But are they gargoyles?

by Anonymousreply 5806/30/2010

OP here, amused, abashed, disgusted and appreciative with perhaps the same predictable proportions as the posts. I suppose we'll wait, seek rapport and see if some understanding can be reached, if that's possible. I don't know if trying to blow a fan at people will work. That I didn't like them on sight betrays my biases, but I don't care for smokers, beyond the sensitivity I have to their stink - they are, after all, drug addicts under legal cover, and have all the traits of same.

As for the posts here, I suppose the deniers, the gay homophobes, the smoking enthusiasts, the usual thugs (yeah, everyone with a respiratory problem is a hot-house flower, assholes, and of course not wanting to breathe a person's funk is the sign of a controller) are all part of the colorful DL anonymous party.

I understand about the people with lousy neighbors. I've learned to live with the city-dwellers, and have faced down the drug dealers and gay-bashing teens, but the suburbanites moving in who contribute nothing except - well - their tobacco smoke, they're a different kind of pest.

Oh, charcoal smoke isn't a problem. Like I said, it's an allergy. Peanuts are fine. In fact, the only other thing that makes us sick is shithead losers, so I'm very grateful so many of the posters here are nowhere close to us, or we'd be in the ER. But thanks to the decent people for their suggestions and thoughts!

by Anonymousreply 5906/30/2010

Despite R21's claim, I don't have asthma. Originally it was assumed I had non-allergic rhinitis, but nasal sprays didn't work for me on smoke or perfumes; however, antihistamines do help when I'm having symptoms. Nasal sprays help with the pollen allergies I have as well as the allergies from field burning.

That's why I assume there's something I'm allergic to that burns in cigarettes beyond the actual tobacco, and it's probably true for others as well. That said, there is so much diffusion of the smoke in OP's situation that I can't imagine it's even possible to have an allergic reaction in that instance.

by Anonymousreply 6006/30/2010

Thanks, 57.

by Anonymousreply 6106/30/2010

OP, are you from the beef-curtained tribe?

by Anonymousreply 6206/30/2010

Oh dear god, OP you've proven yourself to be an uptight, judgmental asshole with that "they're drug addicts" comment. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 6307/01/2010

OP is there something else bothering you in your life that has provoked you into fixating on the smokers? They have the right to smoke on their property. When smoking becomes illegal, then you can do something about it and stop with the allergy stuff, nobody apart from some wilting petals is buying it. %0D %0D It is interesting that crack addicts, gay bashers etc don't upset you as much as the smokers. Maybe therapy would help.

by Anonymousreply 6407/01/2010

I am a smoker, and am not sure how I would feel if someone asked me to stop smoking in my own backyard.

I am VERY respectful of other people, and their desire not to be around cigarettes. I smoke in my own apartment, and don't smoke around people I don't know unless I ask if they mind. I would never in a million years think to smoke in someone else's house, or even on THEIR balcony, unless they were a smoker. So I wouldn't be outside on my deck smoking unless I was outside on my desk anyway, I wouldn't be using my deck as my ashtray.

If a neighbor had come over and asked me very nicely not to do it, I keep thinking that how I reacted would really heavily depend on the person and the circumstances. And to be honest, if the story was "a sniff of smoke makes us both sick for a day," I'd say sure, I won't smoke anymore, and light up the moment you left. Sorry, but the hypochondria is screaming through the interwebs on that one.

Now, if it was that your great-grandma was on oxygen and you were terrified a spark was going to start a fire, well, then...I'd stop.

So, uh, lie? Or get an air filter. If a good air filter can make it so MY apartment doesn't smell like smoke (to other people, I would never trust my own sense of smell), I'm sure it can help yours.

by Anonymousreply 6507/01/2010

I hate the smell coming from my neighbor's house at dinner time. Every night, there is the stench of meat cooking. I literally get nauseous. Should I ask them to stop? I know it's not illegal but my partner and I are vegans and we literally get sick for DAYS when we smell that roasting flesh! They're meat addicts!

by Anonymousreply 6607/01/2010

Here's a good article, OP, which explains why it is medically impossible to have an "allergy" to cigarette smoke.

by Anonymousreply 6707/01/2010

You could try asking them really nicely OP, without being a basket case over it while all the time understanding that if they choose to treat you like the overly dramatic hothouse orchid that you are that they are well within their rights - legal and social.%0D %0D And chalk it up to living in the world with, you know, people.

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2010

Find an indoor hobby or wear simple face mask when out in your garden. As the neighbours are not breaking the law, I would say it is up to you and your partner to adjust.

by Anonymousreply 6907/01/2010

OP, do you also ask people on a plane to switch seats with you so that you and your partner can sit together, even though you have a middle seat and they have a window seat?%0D %0D Because it really is all about you, you know.

by Anonymousreply 7007/01/2010

Good grief OP- get a medium to large size box fan, put it on a table or stand, (on your deck), face it toward your neighbor's yard, and the smoke won't make it to your deck. Problem solved for $20.

by Anonymousreply 7107/01/2010

I'm a smoker, and if anyone asked me to stop smoking in my backyard, I'd struggle not to laugh in their face. I'd have to compose myself though, to tell them politely that I don't intend to stop smoking on my property any time soon. I'd love to quit, but sure as hell not for that reason.

I'm not a crazed "smokers rights" advocate. I support bans in bars and I hate smokers who stand right outside entrances, or who walk down the street trailing smoke. I'm extremely conscious of where I smoke in public, and how it affects others around me. I'm a considerate smoker.

I'd be willing to adjust where in the yard I smoked, within reason, but I wouldn't just stop for an overly sensitive neighbor. Sorry, it's my right, I'm practicing it on my own property, and there's really no logical reason to believe it has any lasting or oppressive effect on someone more than 20 feet away and behind a fence, too.

by Anonymousreply 7207/01/2010

[quote]Good grief OP- get a medium to large size box fan, put it on a table or stand, (on your deck), face it toward your neighbor's yard, and the smoke won't make it to your deck. Problem solved for $20.

But that doesn't provide the OP with the satisfaction of telling someone else what to do on his own property!

by Anonymousreply 7307/01/2010

Run your sprikler, it helps knock down the smoke and it may just soak them

by Anonymousreply 7407/01/2010

Can't you hang out in your front yard, OP?

by Anonymousreply 7507/01/2010

I work for a chainsmoker. The good news is that he's also an alcoholic, so I rarely see him. And his equal at the office is a non-smoker (like me), so when he does show, he has to step outside. I often go with him to speak and it doesn't seem to bother me too much, the smoking outdoors. Not any more than the thousands of other pollutants I'm exposed to daily. But I was laid up for three goddamn days after having dinner with him last week, at which he consumed an entire pack of cigarettes, blown back into my face. I woke up in the middle of the night with my throat closed up, and the next morning feeling like my head was filled with cotton. I stayed in bed all day feeling like utters shit. It was like the worst pollen allergy I've ever experienced times a thousand.

That said, I'm sorry, but a next door neighbor's smoke wafting across the begonias? What do you do when they park their car in their own driveway? Call the fire department?

by Anonymousreply 7607/01/2010

Fascinating, OP, that you and your partner have the exact same exceedingly rare allergy. What are the odds?

by Anonymousreply 7707/01/2010

[quote]OP, do you also ask people on a plane to switch seats with you so that you and your partner can sit together, even though you have a middle seat and they have a window seat?

The logistics of this analogy make no sense.

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2010

I have a very similar situation, OP.%0D %0D I was more irritated by the jabber jabber of these two queens than the fact that they were smoking cigarettes.%0D %0D I was cleaning one afternoon, and they were out there talking on the porch and smoking, and I was cleaning near the window.%0D %0D I simply looked out the window at them, and said "Hey."%0D %0D They said "OH, is the smoke bothering you?" The look on their faces was so sincere and calm, it totally diffused my anger. I said "Actually, no. I'm just saying 'hey'".%0D %0D They then started talking to me through the window, and I ended up taking a break from cleaning to have a glass of wine with them.%0D %0D Guess what? I don't care when I hear them talk or smell the smoke. I know they are nice people.

by Anonymousreply 7907/01/2010

R67, that article was written by some guy named "webdan65" and the first sentence reads "your nose drips like a facet". That's not a good sign.

Anyway, the theory is that smoke doesn't cause allergic rhinitis, only nonallergic (vasomotor) rhinitis, but it is JUST a theory. From the article linked below:

[italic]there is insufficient evidence to reliably differentiate between allergic and nonallergic rhinitis based on signs and symptoms alone. The minimum level of diagnostic testing needed to differentiate between the two types of rhinitis also has not been established.[/italic]

Anyway, the article is just from the American Academy of Family Physicians. I'm sure it doesn't compare to what "webdan65" said.

by Anonymousreply 8007/01/2010

So, OP, you have had as neighbors, drug dealers, teen aged prostitutes, derelicts, and now this partying crew? Have you considered perhaps moving to an environment that is more in keeping with your particular brand of airs and sensitivities?

by Anonymousreply 8107/01/2010

I would go out and buy a big sprinkler that went backwards and forwards across their lot and whenever they came outside, just turn on the sprinkler to get them wet and scare them away.%0D %0D After all, based on all of the advice here, if the source of irritation originates on someone else's lot, it is fully their right to irritate you regardless of any discomfort or inconvenience. If it works with smoke, why not water?

by Anonymousreply 8207/01/2010

I agree with many of the posters here. I don't smoke, but you know what? With all the problems and troubles in this country right now (the world, actually), someone smoking in their own yard would be the last thing I'd worry about.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2010

[quote]WE had a case about this in Stow, Ohio. You can search the archives in about it. Gee, I'd love to but I'm still plowing my way through "Foucault's Pendulum."

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2010

This threads proves one thing I've already suspected: Most DLers are obnoxious smokers who don't give a fuck about other people and who'll mock and taunt you for even suggesting their gross puffing causes someone else discomfort.

Get crazy on them OP, Put a fence up, mount an outdoor fan on your back patio which points towards them and will help divert their shit back at them... Make some unpleasant odors of your own.. If that doesn't help, step it up. If people think you're a crazy motherfucker, they'll leave you the fuck alone. It's the only way to deal with assholes like that.

by Anonymousreply 8607/01/2010

I've never smoked a cig in my life, and I still think OP is being ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 8707/01/2010

[quote]If people think you're a crazy motherfucker, they'll leave you the fuck alone. It's the only way to deal with assholes like that.

It clearly works for you. It may not be terribly effective for adults, however.

by Anonymousreply 8807/01/2010

"OP, do you also ask people on a plane to switch seats with you so that you and your partner can sit together, even though you have a middle seat and they have a window seat?"%0D %0D Hey, R70 - Last month someone actually did ask me to swap seats - for the 1st time ever! She was in the middle seat in my aisle and I was in the aisle seat. And her partner was in the aisle seat ahead of us. They were watching out for me and as soon as I appeared (and before I sat down), they asked me whether I would mind swapping seats with the partner - which I did, very happily. AND I THOUGHT OF DATALOUNGE AS I DID IT!

by Anonymousreply 8907/01/2010

Did the eight years of teen rape that occurred on your watch merit any 911 calls? So long as they weren't fucking on the porch right next to your window you were ok with it?

by Anonymousreply 9007/01/2010

Dude, you've got to kill John Locke to keep the smoke from following you

by Anonymousreply 9107/01/2010

I'm in love with R84.

by Anonymousreply 9207/01/2010

r84:%0D %0D Something tells me you don't have the gumption to plow through anything that requires thought.

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2010

It would seem that your neighborhood is %0D highly allergic to gentrification, OP.%0D %0D Achoo!

by Anonymousreply 9407/01/2010

OP, look on the bright side. I am a cigar smoker, and if you lived next to me an politely asked me to stop, I'd politely tell you to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 9507/01/2010

Are you aware, OP, that when you walk on a sidewalk on a busy street, that you inhale more smoke (carninogenic tars etc) than you do if a person is smoking in the same romm as you?%0D %0D How do your allegies to smoke manifest themselves, asthsma-like closing of the airways? I assume this happens in traffic as well where everyone is exposed to far more smoke.

by Anonymousreply 9607/01/2010

[quote]Are you aware, OP, that when you walk on a sidewalk on a busy street, that you inhale more smoke (carninogenic tars etc) than you do if a person is smoking in the same romm as you?

I'm not the OP, and I disagree with his/her control freak tendencies, but I find this statistic a bit puzzling--and I'm afraid I can't accept it just because you're a doctor, charlie. This may be true even for NYC or LA, but can it also be true for Eugene, OR, or Peoria, IL, or some tiny town in Vermont? There aren't that many busy streets in those towns.

Also, time on a busy street is usually very limited for most people: time in a room is usually prolonged.

by Anonymousreply 9707/01/2010

OP, You're not allergic to smoke. You just don't like it. And I don't like you.

Maybe I'm allergic to you and your fugly partner having boring sex once a year. How would I address that?

by Anonymousreply 9807/01/2010

Just as I stated R97- a busy street with regular traffic going by, and when you are in a car in traffic on the road as well.%0D %0D Not a statistic, an epidemiologic fact- from my pulmonolgisst colleagues.%0D %0D I used to run up the West Side along the West Side highway- when I was reminded on this by a colleague. He said you are actually probably doing yourself more harm than good. So I stay in the park (Riverside) as much as possible.%0D %0D R97- WHY do you think there is more lung cancer and asthma and COPD in general in cities? It's not cigarettes. Fact of urban life- one of the reasons why the Japanese where face masks in Tokyo.%0D %0D By the way- I think the OP and his or her partner are a tad nuts, if this is really a legitimate post. Being alive is a risk, but that is not a reason to therefore die.

by Anonymousreply 9907/01/2010

Also, again: busy on the Upper West Side Highway is very different from busy on the Main Street of, say, King of Prussia, PA, or of Climax, MN. How do you know the OP and his/her partner live in NYC where traffic is much heavier than in many other American cities?

by Anonymousreply 10107/01/2010

I have MS. Many people with MS have chemical sensitivities. Nobody knows precisely why. I have chemical sensitivities that make me physically ill.

Know what? It's MY problem. I'm the one that should have to adjust to a real world, and I do.

Example: I'm in an elevator with perfumes and colognes. I get off the freakin elevator. I don't preach the evils of perfumes and get indignant about how my rights are being violated. Good grief.

Are all you rabid anti-smoke people really ready to go down this slippery slope? Are you going to champion all those with chemical sensitivities and support a ban on perfume and cologne? Rules about when and where people can wear scents? How about the jasmine in your yard that makes me nauseated and might cause me to pass out? Do I get to tell you what you can and can not plant in your garden?

Get real people. It's a big fucking world and we're all trying to get through together.

It really ISN'T always about you. And it isn't always all about me so I cope.

Try it sometime.

by Anonymousreply 10207/01/2010

I don't R101. But my guess is they follow cars in traffic regularly like anyone who drives and they give a lungful then. The OP implied the suburbs I believe.%0D %0D Point is, the OP and his partner are badly overreaching and reacting, and also do not seem to know all of what they are speaking about. Allergies to smoke? Like the person who can smell smoke before anyone else on this thread who has the allergy- more a psych issue than a real immune mediated allergy (which is what allergies are- an overreaction to a stimulus.)

by Anonymousreply 10307/01/2010

r12 response idea #3 is the only thing that may work.

by Anonymousreply 10407/01/2010

Kudos to you, R102. When I read the first sentence of your post I was ready for someone playing the disabled card. I'm glad you didn't.

See, I also have MS, and like I wrote my my post at R95 I am a cigar smoker. By the way, MS and chemical sensitivities have nothing to do with each other.

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2010

No such thing as allergy to cigarettes?

I had a allergy test (the weird apparatus with liquid chambers and nails) which proved I am allergic to tobacco.

by Anonymousreply 10607/04/2010

I thought of this thread yesterday. I went to an open house and the neighbor was sitting on her deck smoking a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 10707/04/2010

I don't really see the problem-o.

[italic][puff puff][/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10807/05/2010

cigarette smoke makes me feel like shit and I try to avoid it. and if OP were a real douche, he'd have said something to his neighbours already, instead of coming here.

by Anonymousreply 10907/05/2010

Dear Anonymous Ass,

Please die already, or perhaps you have. I hope so. As a child, I grew up with a smoker parent, he died at 54. I have CHRONIC respiratory problems. I have LOSER neighbors that smoke on their porch 9' from my house. They have their 1 year old out there all the time. If you don't think smoking is harmful, have you ever heard of science? Have you? I don't feel like my loser neighbors have a right to infiltrate MY house or MY yard with their loser 2nd and 3rd hand smoke! I have a right to live in my house and my yard and so does my TODDLER without dealing with CARCINOGENS willingly given off by my LOSER neighbors because they don't have the willpower to not smoke. Awwwww. Poor things. They have a right to be DRUG ADDICTS. Talk about psychological problems. Dear Anonymous, Fuck OFF. Go find yourself a smoker's island, contract your cancer and let the rest of us breathe. Thanks so much! xo!

by Anonymousreply 11006/16/2011

This might sound stupid OP but have you tried placing a fan on that side of the deck to blow it back? Unfortunately hardcore smokers are outside all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11106/16/2011

There's nothing wrong with saying you hate cigarette smoke (as I do) but saying you're allergic to it is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11206/16/2011

by Anonymousreply 11306/16/2011

Another vote for the fan. An additional benefit is that they may comment about it and this will provide the perfect opening for you to explain WHY you are doing it. That way you get to present your story, yet still look like the good guy because "you didn't want to bother them about it."

by Anonymousreply 11406/16/2011

You need a couple of well placed powerful fans.

If asked just tell them it it to keep their smoke in their yard. I had this problem, I bought the fans and the neighbors smoked less and less outside because I think the fans annoyed them.

by Anonymousreply 11506/16/2011

Put up a tall fence!

by Anonymousreply 11606/16/2011

Install one of these on the far side of the deck and have it blow over your deck onto the neighbours' deck. No smoke will ever bother you again (nor will the neighbours I'm guessin').

by Anonymousreply 11706/16/2011

R110, how on earth did you manage to find a bump a thread that has laid dormant for almost a full year???

And, um, why?

by Anonymousreply 11806/16/2011

The OP and his partner are now dead. Tension with the neighbors escalated to tragic results. I can say no more.

by Anonymousreply 11906/16/2011

What a terrible ordeal for OP and his lover.

by Anonymousreply 12006/16/2011

Here's what to do, OP: take a loaded gun and point it at your partner's head. Pull trigger. Reload, place barrel of gun in your mouth, pull trigger again. Problems solved.

by Anonymousreply 12106/16/2011

No 119, twas the contact with 3rd hand smoke what killed 'em.

by Anonymousreply 12206/16/2011

I have a neighbor smoking next door and it's not regular cigarettes but illegal drugs and I am over 60 and I have a serious heart condition. I know for certain their are landlord and tenant rules in apartments on drug use or sells. It's in all of the apartment leaseses I have had but in the case of an apartment a none-smoker does have more rights because illegal smoke is against the law. These people have lived in this building longer than me and apparently they have not reviewed their lease properly because the use of any illlegal drug in apartments is against landlord and tenant and stated on the lese clearly never to be tolerated. And no it's not just one occupant but all of them who smoke this shit. Someone has told this people who smoke crack, whatever illegal smoke that if they lived in the building longer than you it does matter but that is no exception in the lease. I truly have a very serious heart condition and no I have never like smoking any type of cigaratte and I don't do drugs nor m daughter. I tried very tactful by stating to thease neighbors please do not smoke by my apartment door it is coming under my door and it makes me feel very badly due to having aseriou heart condition. Thought I nicely ask, when I close the door I hear all this negative resistence like I have lived here 5 years, the other full is talking some shit about she plays music loud. I play not music but my tv loud when they are parting in the hallway in front of my door , smoking drugs, drinking beer, playing loud music I know for a fact at least two or three of these people reside in the building so why not take that party in your apartment and not right by my door in the hallyway. I know for a fact your not suppose to smoke regular cigarettes and definely drugs in the hallway of an apartment it is deem a fire hazard . I don't really want to report them to management because they are extremelyn Getto and I don't know if they will try to retaliate against me or my daughter who is already extremely nervous just walking by the drug crowd parting in hallway. I think I can break my lease however before the year is up due to livign conditions beating against my health and I do really have medical documents saying that smoking or second hand smoke is very much against my condition. So should I just report it to landlord and tenant and see what they will do. Break the lease due to unliviable conditions. But breakign the lease is not really a option for me at this time since I have no money to move right away nor anyone to stay with temporarily. Why do good poor people who follow rules punish by having to live with people who feel they have a right to break every rule and have no regard for no one.

by Anonymousreply 12309/18/2011

You're illiterate and racist, R123, so you kind of deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 12409/18/2011

by Anonymousreply 12609/18/2011

Oh, dear. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

by Anonymousreply 12709/18/2011

I had a similar problem. I live on the first floor of a multi unit building (6 apartments). My window faces the parking lot and is adjecent to the front door.

Two and sometimes three people from upstairs started sitting on the front steps and smoking. They had a can for their butts and were otherwise ok. But the smoke would drift in through the window.

I wanted to say something but realized there wasn't much I could say. they were obviously smoking outside so as not to smoke in the apartment. And they were cleaning up their trash.

So I ended up closing my window. Well one time I was walking up the front steps and they were sitting there smoking. they moved to let me by. I said 'hey'.

one of them said "hey" back, and then said "i notice you close your window when we come out. Are we being too loud?"

I was really shocked that they'd be that considerate. I said, "thanks for asking, but it's not the noise, you guys aren't too loud. It's just that smoke sometimes comes in the window. I know there's not many places to smoke so I just close the window. but thanks for asking, I appreciate it".

by Anonymousreply 12809/18/2011

Well, "smoking" and the gays' "allergies" seem to be the new fibromyalgia.

by Anonymousreply 12909/18/2011

Put your property up for sale.

Get your next house on farmland.

by Anonymousreply 13009/18/2011

That's nice, R128.

by Anonymousreply 13109/18/2011

This worked for me:

* New tenant moved in next door (adjacent building) and smoked every hour just in front of their apartment. I asked him to smoke further from my home during the hot weather when all the windows were open. He tried to ignore me. I explained how important it was to us and our smoke-sensitive relative (asthma). He walked further away.

* Then he got lazy and returned to the front of the apartment. I asked him when he was going to move out. He didn't have a move out date. I asked him when he was going to die.

* He didn't move out or die early enough to my satisfaction. We started to water the plants occasionally while he was smoking. I managed to adjust the nozzle very poorly that it started to squirt on him. Ooops.

* I repeated the above. He finally had it and attacked me. Property manager witnessed it and told the cops. Now he has a move out date.

by Anonymousreply 13210/03/2011

"we're sick for a day after a slight exposure."

Mary! What delicate orchids you are!

I recommend sealing yourselves up in a cave. The modern world is too harsh for your dainty lungs.

by Anonymousreply 13310/03/2011

"i worker at a mental facility"

You misspelled "inmate."

by Anonymousreply 13410/03/2011

Sounds drastic especially in this economy, but I would seriously explore moving.

by Anonymousreply 13510/03/2011

OP, you think you've got problems! I live in a co-op, almost every night between 11PM-1AM I get the smell of pot smoke in my apartment. The smell is so strong it actually drifts into my apartment, then moves down my hallway into my bedroom. My eyes burn and I get an allergy attack.

It's not anyone on my floor, there are only five apartments per floor, the other four apartment residents are elderly and none of them smoke medical marijuana.

This has been going on for about eight months. Since the hallway and bathroom vents have been cleaned, that's when we all started smelling the pot.

The security guy was called by two of my elderly neighbors, he explained that he cannot start knocking on doors to find out who is smoking.

It's really bizarre how the smell is settling on my floor. I even checked the two stairwells for odors, I didn't smell anything. My neighbor across from me also has the smell in his apartment.

It's pretty hard to figure out the source of the pot smoke, everyone on my floor is simply suffering in silence about four to five times I week. I don't smoke cigarettes or pot, so this stink is pretty damn annoying.

Since it starts about 11PM, it's either someone relaxing after coming home from work or someone smoking before they go to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 13610/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 13710/03/2011

agree r137, move to a no smoking complex. What were you sickly types thinking when you moved there and so close too?

by Anonymousreply 13810/03/2011

I want to know how many feet away your outdoor spaces are?

Because you sound a bit nuts.

It's like sitting outdoors in a cafe. If there person 5 feet away from me is smoking, it's intrusive. But if it's 10 or more feet away, it's annoying but I have to deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 13910/03/2011

I would have had water hose person arrested for assault.

by Anonymousreply 14010/03/2011

[quote] MOVE!!!!!! To a house.

Doesn't really necessarily solve the problem unless you live out in the middle of nowhere on an acre or more of land and have no neighbors for miles.

You can live in a house in the city and have neighbors who smoke, either in a house, or an apt, or both.

by Anonymousreply 14110/03/2011

Some of you sound like you REALLY REALLY REALLY should not be living in apartments. Apartments are a necessary evil in large cities, I get that.

I am happy I live in a house, with private walls, floors, ceilings, yard = DISTANCE from my neighbors, but yes, I do live in "flyover country."

by Anonymousreply 14210/03/2011

Are you talking to ME, R137?

Surely you are kidding. I worked hard to buy my co-op, I'm not going anywhere because of some pothead. We are figuring this pothead might be the adult child of a resident who has moved in for awhile.

A few weeks ago, I walked past some young guy smoking pot on the grounds, it might be him. I don't know all the tenants in my building.

The co-op lease states that anyone not obeying the rules of the lease can be fined. It depends on the co-op bylaws as far as how many fines/warning you will receive. If the person pays the fines yet doesn't stop whatever they are doing, then eviction proceedings start. Yes, the person can be forced to sell their apartment.

What makes you assume moving to a house would be any different, did you not read OP's dilemma? You can have all sorts of smells drifting over from a neighbors property.

Once again, reading comprehension on DL is non-existent.

by Anonymousreply 14310/03/2011

Precious Flower alert @r136.

It's weed. Get over it. And it's NOT making your eyes water and giving you an allergy, that's a fucking lie.

You're just inconvenienced and trying to make yourself out to be a victim.

Maybe you need to loosen up and toke up a fattie because you sound like a mincing prisspot.

by Anonymousreply 14410/03/2011

If you are so delicate that smoke drifting over from a neighboring HOUSE afflicts you, then yes, you need to move to a place where you can surround yourself with AT LEAST an acre of yardage.

That or just stfu about it, you wankers.

by Anonymousreply 14510/03/2011

The last time I looked, smoking pot or crack inside a co-op or condo IS illegal, so why the hell should I have to move?

I've lived in my co-op for 17 years, I think my rights are pretty clear, not the rights of some young asshole pothead, who most likely doesn't even legally live in my building.

I have to sell my large beautiful co-op, with a low maintenance and no mortgage, because some asshole chooses to get high every night? You guys are completely bonkers!

by Anonymousreply 14610/03/2011

co-op guy needs to move his mary ass!

by Anonymousreply 14710/03/2011

Their throats close up and the allergies ARE serious and very REAL, you sound like an utter moron.

A lot of people don't smoke weed, so they certainly don't enjoy the annoying smell of it. Sure, not all people are allergic to pot's smell, but it IS annoying to those of us who don't smoke anything, but I do allergies. I take Claritan and use Flonase, so kiss my ass!

IF you need pot to get through your day, I'd say YOU have a problem, get help. A friend who has smoked pot daily for over 25 years, is now seeking help for his addiction.

Wow, how freaking stupid are you? You profess to know who is or isn't allergic to pot smoke? What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 14810/03/2011

It is a lievthat you are "allergic". There is no such thing as an allergy to smoke. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 14910/03/2011

R136 is a lonely friendless Mrs kravitz

by Anonymousreply 15010/03/2011

Are you 'refusing to leavers" eldergays by chance?

by Anonymousreply 15110/03/2011

I would probably burn A LOT of incense out on your deck. If they don't mention it...burn more. When they do mention it, offer a fake apology and tell them that you use it to cover up the smell of cigarette smoke that migrates from their side.

by Anonymousreply 15210/03/2011

[quote]There is no such thing as an allergy to smoke.

And denial is just a river in Egypt.

by Anonymousreply 15510/03/2011

I had a friend who lived in a fancy condo and appointed himself head of the neighborhood watch. He didn't have much fun in his life and channeled his frustrations into sitting on his window ledge and waiting for people to park on his block illegally (he'd phone the police), or an inch over a driveway (ditto). One time, he poured a bucket of water over a group of people who were conversing too loudly for him underneath his apartment (on the 2nd floor…in a busy neighborhood…in a major city!). But even HE let his one or two faux friends smoke outside on his balcony when they came over before he gave up completely and moved to a location that isn't even on GPS where he can be all alone with no one around for miles. He fenced his property and was happy. Until someone started a border dispute with him. It's always something, isn't it OP. You don't sound like someone I'd care to live next to. Also your neighborhood sounds really awful. Move!

by Anonymousreply 15610/03/2011

No one is jealous about your co op/self made prison where you hide in your bedroom quivering over the smell of.........POT!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15710/03/2011

Look it up. No such thing as an allergy to smoke princess

by Anonymousreply 15810/03/2011

Smoke follows beauty

by Anonymousreply 15910/03/2011

Ironic isn't it OP? You likely called the cops, got the druggies off the property next door, and now SMOKERS have moved in. Heaven forfend!!! Seriously, have you ever been happy anywhere you've lived among other people?

by Anonymousreply 16010/03/2011

This isn't going to end well...

by Anonymousreply 16210/03/2011

[quote] We tried moving to the side yard on the other side of the building, but the smoke followed us

You need to call the police. This particular smoke is stalking you. Videotape it following you for visual evidence. You are in danger. This smoke is not playing around. It wants you.

by Anonymousreply 16310/03/2011

r163. You are funny.

by Anonymousreply 16410/03/2011

The smoke is coming from inside the house!

by Anonymousreply 16510/03/2011

r166 is getting old and hard of hearing, which explains his all-caps SHOUTING.

by Anonymousreply 16710/03/2011

OP there isn't much you can do. You cannot prevent people from smoking on their own patio. Get some fans and blow it back their way.

by Anonymousreply 16810/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 16910/03/2011

[quote]After eight years living next door to the place as a drug hole where teen prostitution went on, and then eight years of sitting next to it empty and derelict,

Jesus Christ I'd fucking move. Where exactly do you live?

by Anonymousreply 17010/03/2011

Here is what you do:

You screech into the holly, "Abner! Abner! Do you smell smoke? Abner, tell me no one is smoking! We have a gas leak! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! And why does that gal across the way never recycle? And why does Mr. Jones go through so much toilet tissue? Abner, I'm talking to you!"

by Anonymousreply 17110/03/2011

R171 I'm cracking up. Thanks, now I'm in the mood for Bewitched reruns featuring Gladys and Abner.

by Anonymousreply 17210/03/2011

Buy three pitbulls and catapult them over the hedge.

(But I'm surprised that someone who obviously lives in a slum is so picky.)

by Anonymousreply 17310/03/2011

This is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 17410/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 17510/03/2011

The way I contracted HIV was through Oral because I had gonorrhea in the throat at the time.

by Anonymousreply 17610/22/2011

Thanks for all your helpful advice (smirk). I'm the original OP and posted this thread knowing what it sounded like, but deciding to go ahead and have my hissy.

Well, in the meantime the neighbors have taken to practically living outside, having put in a patio that covers the whole yard with a fire pit so when it's cold they can sit out and - smoke. They're drunks and often are out there - loud - until 2. The got a dog and they let it bark when they're drunk, right outside our bedroom window.

As for "no allergies to smoke," that's ridiculous. Call it extreme sensitivity if you want, but respiratory problems are what they are. Of course drug addicts like smokers will dismiss any responsibility for what they cause, the same as alcoholics.

As for my neighbors, I've found my own way of dealing with them. I don't expect them to have a dog for long, and I'd be surprised if her employment holds out. I've found there are better ways than direct confrontation.

But, again, thanks for all the helpfulness. And the laughs. Back at you.

by Anonymousreply 17810/22/2011

A Serpent in the course of its wanderings came into an blacksmith's shop. As he glided over the floor he felt his skin pricked by a file lying there. In a rage he turned round upon it and tried to dart his fangs into it; but he could do no harm to heavy iron and had soon to give over his wrath.

by Anonymousreply 17910/22/2011

Good for you, OP. I, for one, am supportive of your efforts to return to your peaceful existence. I believe people have a right to live the way they want. But they've crossed a line if their lifestyle -- smoking, drinking, partying, noisy animals, etc. -- interferes with another person's quality of life.

Keep us updated.

by Anonymousreply 18010/22/2011

[quote]After eight years living next door to the place as a drug hole where teen prostitution went on

Fascinating you managed to live next to a place of sex slavery for eight years, but a Marlboro Light became the hill you chose to die on.

by Anonymousreply 18210/22/2011

I hereby pronounce this EST a perfect 10.

It's got everything, including an aside about the place having been a den of iniquity, and now this... cigarette smoke. Oh noes.

More than a hundred responses.

Well done, OP.

Take note, amateurs.

by Anonymousreply 18310/22/2011

[quote]I'm allergic to smoke, and so is my partner

Nobody is "allergic" to smoke.

Smoke is not an allergen.

Dial down the drama.

by Anonymousreply 18410/22/2011

Bring them a nice plate of arsenic brownies.

by Anonymousreply 18510/22/2011

[quote]"There is no physical human allergy to secondhand cigarette smoke,"

Says the cigarette addict who will say anything to rationalize the problems his addiction causes others.

by Anonymousreply 18610/22/2011

Love you R182.

by Anonymousreply 18710/22/2011

I can't believe there hasn't been more reaction to r123/126. Either a brilliant piece of performance art or one of the truly craziest people even DL has ever seen!

by Anonymousreply 18810/22/2011

"As for my neighbors, I've found my own way of dealing with them. I don't expect them to have a dog for long, and I'd be surprised if her employment holds out. I've found there are better ways than direct confrontation."

Quit being coy, OP. Clearly you want to brag to us about how you've handled this, so just tell us what you did. Poisoned their dog? Framed her for murder at work?

by Anonymousreply 18910/22/2011

Knowing that minors were being raped next door on a regular basis must have been very taxing for you.

by Anonymousreply 19010/22/2011

Not really, 190, because they didn't smoke.

by Anonymousreply 19110/22/2011

R132 - that was kind of a stupid way to ask to get stabbed or something. You never know what someone is really like.

And while we're at it, can we add perfume to the list, too? Just like cigarette smoke, there is no such thing as a fucking allergy to perfume.

by Anonymousreply 19210/23/2011

r188, now THAT was a seriously disturbed eldergay!

by Anonymousreply 19410/23/2011

Another vote for a box fan. And they're on clearance sale now so you should be able to get one for under $15. They're quiet and they do the job.

by Anonymousreply 19510/23/2011

Start a grease fire and hope they trip and die in it.

by Anonymousreply 19610/23/2011

I have asshole neighbors in the apartment downstairs smoking right now. They have been doing this for 6 weeks. We have complained, and contacted the landlord -- who is slow to do anything -- but they just move from room to room. There are two of them (male and female), they are chain smokers, they never open their windows (so the smoke filters up to us), and they barely leave the house. I work from home and I want to kill them. I think they overheard me refer to them as "the cunts downstairs," yesterday. They've started smoking on the fire escape during the day, but still smoke in their apartment at night. I can't believe people still do this shit in 2011. Trash.

I think were going to sue them...

I feel for you, OP, but at least your neighbors smoke outside.

by Anonymousreply 19712/06/2011

R184, smoke may not be an "allergen," but it is definitely an "irritant."

by Anonymousreply 19812/06/2011

I know what hell is going to be like for militant non- smokers.

by Anonymousreply 19912/06/2011

All you anti-smoking sissies and whiners should move to non-smoking buildings or communities. Lots of 'em in California and elsewhere, especially in suburban LA where the air is as clean as the first couple days of Genesis.

by Anonymousreply 20012/06/2011

What a couple of worthless pussies.

by Anonymousreply 20112/06/2011

I'm curious, how many of you militant smokers actually smoke outside?

by Anonymousreply 20212/13/2011

I'd rather live near smokers than a complete asshole who keeps his poor dog outside all day and all night and it barks 24/7. I've called animal control and they can't do anything about it. Seriously, give me a couple of smokers instead of that poor barking dog!

by Anonymousreply 20412/13/2011

R197, no judge would take such a case.

by Anonymousreply 20512/13/2011

Nobody is "allergic" to smoke. Ugh, I can't stand that fake argument. You don't like it, fine, so just leave it at that.

by Anonymousreply 20612/13/2011

Let me get this straight. For 8 years it was a drug and prostitution house. Then for 8 years it stood empty and fell derelict. Now party people have moved in. So my question is, why do you want to live in what sounds like a ghetto?

by Anonymousreply 20712/13/2011

by Anonymousreply 20812/14/2011

I hate smoke; am not specifically allergic, but 3 or 4 doctors ahve told me, thank God I don't smoke (was born premature; lungs not 100%, have had pneumonia 3 times, blah, blah.)

So I am on your/your partner's side! But, two words occur to me:

Move. Elsewhere. It's very hard to convince people in a house (as opposed to condo, apt. building, etc.) that THEY can't smoke.

Or, failing that, two more words:

Kill. Neighbors. (kidding!)

by Anonymousreply 20912/14/2011

Hey, know-it-all asshole at r206, check this out.

Cigarette smoke can also exacerbate underlying allergies by weakening your immune system.

by Anonymousreply 21012/14/2011

Invite all the people that think you are exagerating to a gathering around a nice camp fire. Then arange for some kind of barrier to keep everyone around the fire and unable to back away too far, a small,fenced in yard will do. . Then throw some wet grass and car tire bits into the flame. I guarantee people will start to move. Then you can ask them,"what's the matter? the smoke too much for you???" I don't believe there is such a thing as an allergy to smoke, just like there is no allergy to getting a lungful when somebody lets out some flatulance,passes gas. This shit stinks though, and I don't blame you for not wanting to smell ANY gass your neighbors pass.

by Anonymousreply 21104/11/2012

[quote] we're sick for a day after a slight exposure. It's physical, not psychological.

LOL. When I was growing up, people smoked everywhere. They didn't even have a smoking section on trains or in movie theaters. My dad would smoke while grocery shopping (he was a tightwad who didn't trust my mother with "his" money, so he did the food shopping).

I worked in hospitals starting in 1980 and we smoked everywhere except in the room of a patient on oxygen (maybe 2 people in 5 years were on oxygen in the part of the hospital where I worked). The night shift nurses used to fill up about 4 ashtrays each shift. The nurses all smoked and the patients did, too. Old homeless patients used to bum cigarettes from the nurses.

Can you imagine the OP and partner in that world?

by Anonymousreply 21204/11/2012

I remember those days too, ExSmoker. I considered myself a considerate person as I always stubbed out my cigarette before entering an elevator as I had many suits burnt by smokers when the elevator got crowded and you backed into them and their cigarette.

I don't smoke anymore, but I think people are ridiculous about it.

I used to wear a cologne by YSL, everyone complimented me on it back in the early 80's. They seemed to discontinue it, but I found it in one of those specialty fragence shops that carries everything. My god, it was strong, virtually overpowering. Then I realized, cologne needed to be strong in those days to be noticable over all the cigarette smoke. That is why all those old lady perfumes gag us now.... back then we were being accosted by all kinds of strong odors everywhere. Current fragarences are much lighter and less obtrusive.

So add strong-enough-to-be-smelt over-an-elevator-full-of-smokers old style perfumes and colognes to the mix [R-212]. These delicate flowers could not survive our world back in the 70's and 80's.

by Anonymousreply 21404/11/2012

Oh -- and we'd been having Red Flag warnings from the Nat'l Weather Service for days when my neighbors were outside in 47 degree weather burning wood at midnight in their firepit.

Two days ago, we had a wildfire which caused my sister to have to evacuate her home. If my neighbors are ever out there again moronically burning scrap wood in honor of No Reason Whatsoever when there is a Red Flag, I'm calling the cops.

by Anonymousreply 21504/11/2012

I care more about your illiteracy than your sensitivity to smoke, r216.

by Anonymousreply 21705/07/2012

Oh good lord. I haven't read all these post but yeah op you are being a first rate asshole bitch even suggesting that the neighbors change themselves to suit your needs.

I am really alergic to shellfish. I am 54 years old and never once demanded that people around stop eating shellfish.

You have issues.

by Anonymousreply 21805/07/2012

Some of you must live on top of each other. I've never smelled smoke from my neighbor's deck.

by Anonymousreply 21905/07/2012

OP, are you male or female?

R110, what is third-hand smoke?

by Anonymousreply 22005/07/2012

My advice:

Move to the Moon. So far as I know, no one smokes there, wears cologne, or scented deodorant.

by Anonymousreply 22105/07/2012

I can relate to the OP.

I moved to a new nonsmoking building so I wouldn't have to deal with smokers.

About three months after I moved in, I started smelling pot and realized it was coming from my downstairs neighbor. After about a year of no assistance from managment, I moved to a different floor.

Well, there was no pot coming from downstairs, but I had a downstairs neighbor that used their balcony as a dog park and the smell of dog shi* coupled with numerous flies buzzing around all the time was pretty awful.

I also encountered a neighbor who loved lots of bass with their movies/music and another neighbor who loved curry dishes.

At the end of my year lease, managment wanted to jack up my rent another $300 ($3,000 for a 600-square-foot apartment). I had had enough. I moved into a $700-per-month in-law unit owned by a good friend. Have been happy ever since.

by Anonymousreply 22205/07/2012

Is R216 retarded?

by Anonymousreply 22305/07/2012

"Do unto others"...? Oh, honey...we do...and we're sure to put them down permanently before they get a chance to "do unto us." Seriously, sweetie - you might be more comfortable at the OMM site. If I knew you, I'd take up smoking every time you were anywhere near.

by Anonymousreply 22605/09/2012

cough. cough. cough.

by Anonymousreply 22805/16/2012

Please look it up. There is no such thing as an allergy to cigarettes. It does not exist. It may bother you but you are not allergic

by Anonymousreply 22905/16/2012

[quote] You wouldn't give a kid a peanut butter cookie if they were allergic would you?

I hate kids, so I probably would.

by Anonymousreply 23205/16/2012

I'm in a townhouse and my neighbor are out on the porch constantly and smoke often. Our family room is right in front of our house so the smoke comes in through the windows daily. It is so frustrating! They are nice neighbors and otherwise fine but I sympathize with you. We are only about 4 feet away from them so if we are eating or taking a nap on the sofa it is gross! Good luck. We haven't found a solution. I wish they would smoke on their back patio or inside.

by Anonymousreply 23305/22/2012

4000 dangers chemicals in a cigarette, 2 kinds of radiation!

by Anonymousreply 23405/25/2012

Op i hope you hold your breath driving in traffic. Car exhausts are far more toxic.

by Anonymousreply 23505/25/2012

For christ's sake, buy a fan all you bitches.

by Anonymousreply 23605/25/2012

car exhaust is good for you compared to the 4000 chemicals in a cigarette. Car exhaust don't have 2 kinds of radiation in it for one thing!!!

by Anonymousreply 23805/25/2012

R237 link please.

Im not a smoker but the shit you said is nonsense

by Anonymousreply 23905/25/2012

R237 is one big grammatical mess.

by Anonymousreply 24005/25/2012

Cigarettes kill more people in one year then all the wars put together, since the beginning of man!!!

by Anonymousreply 24105/25/2012

Car exhaust is Very Bad for you Also!

by Anonymousreply 24205/25/2012

You just don't get it do you? You simply cannot tell or ask or order people in their own property to do or not do something that annoys or offends you. Its their house, their property. If that annoys you then you will just have to sell up and move.

Well if they were making lots of noise late at night you could ask them to stop or call the noise enforcement people out - but not if they smoke.

by Anonymousreply 24706/24/2012

What delicate little flowers. I suspect this is psychological, of course, as this is as far-fetched as it gets. Could it be your uber-hated of all things cigarettes has given you the vapors and thus your extreme physical reactions of being unable to hide from smoke chasing your around your plot?

I really hope you do approach them with this topic, and I do hope you tell your inner circle so they can chant for you at Michfest.

by Anonymousreply 24806/24/2012

You must have an Extremely Smokey Terrace, op.

Or an Exceptionally Sensitive Trachea.

Poor you, OP, poor you.

by Anonymousreply 24906/24/2012

Team up with Mayor Bloomberg for a race to the White House with the millions spent by anti-smoking pacs. Bully congress into passing a bill that outlaws cigarettes. Then you two can dismantle the EPA to allow corporate polluters to slowly kill us all. Sounds fair.

by Anonymousreply 25006/24/2012

Wahh, little baby. If you don't like it, jump on the Twilight thread.

by Anonymousreply 25206/24/2012

I have had the same sentiments. I can suggest that you think hard about starting the legal process to get in on your counties ballot. Smokers' are not popular with nonsmokers, and non smokers might agree with you. I am interested in hearing if you take this a step further. Keep up the posts.

by Anonymousreply 25308/15/2012

Except r253, OP is in a private house. He owns the house, the land and the air around him. So do his neighbors. There is nothing they can do except close the windows.

by Anonymousreply 25408/15/2012

This thread is so old that the smoking neighbors have aready moved and the OP has died of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 25608/17/2012

ya ok

by Anonymousreply 25709/09/2012

My advice: get over it. There's lots of things you don't have any control over. If you can't help yourself, explain to the neighbors. Nothing will change. Then get over it.

by Anonymousreply 25809/09/2012

There's plenty of evidence that 2nd hand and 3rd hand smoke (the chemical residues that linger long after a cigarette has been put out) can be almost as harmful as smoking in the long run. Non-smokers who live with smokers have a 20-30% greater lung cancer risk over a period of two decades or more.

by Anonymousreply 25909/09/2012

[quote]There's plenty of evidence that 2nd hand and 3rd hand smoke (the chemical residues that linger long after a cigarette has been put out) can be almost as harmful as smoking in the long run.

I cracked up when "thirdhand smoke" was trotted out a few years ago. Apparently it's molecules that live forever and will KILL YOU.

Can't wait for "fourthhand smoke" -- what will it be?

by Anonymousreply 26009/09/2012

This guy is a fucking pussy. If someone had told me to put out my cigarette when I smoked and I was outside then I would have lazer beamed it right into their face. Then continued to give them the beating of a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 26109/09/2012

Im a Alergy sufferer of Cigerettes and Illeageal drugs and My doctors have stated that. My manager has seen it and said no smoking near you, we cleaned alot of smokers out of hear had people leaving burning cigerettes on ground has burn't bushes and my front yard. so its mnot alaughing matter, I get where I have to go on medication for allergies, which makes me sluggish. I as a non=smoker do not have to suffer second hand smoke people want to smoke respect those who do not appreciate it. I just lost my dad to Lung cancer second hand smoke. he was a non-smoker. so please respect the people in your own homes I see pregnant women blowing smoke in yhere chikdrens face discusting,Im willing to work with neighbors as a mater of fact We have neigbor hood watch. and we are tired of the smoke,

by Anonymousreply 26209/14/2012

spell check

by Anonymousreply 26309/14/2012

Granted these two may be a little up tight but, to go as far as to say there is no such thing as an allergic reaction to cigarettes is crazy. I as well as my two year old daughter (who also has asthma) have a cigarette allergy. You can throw cigars, in there as well. However, Claritin D does wonders for me and allergic reactions are very slight when I take it regularly. Exposure causes severe headaches, allergic rhinitis & bronchitis. Sometimes it's so bad I, as well as my daughter have had to be on a nebulizer regime (depending on exposure). It sucks, to have to deal with because a lot of people smoke at bus stops, outside of work places, my neighbors even smoke. What are you going to do though? You just have to deal with it. Talking your neighbors would be the best option in my opinion, or perhaps investing in an allergy medication. :/

by Anonymousreply 26409/18/2012

My neighbors have unprotected BF and I both feel like they are bringing disease upon our nieghborhood. Is there anything we can do to stop them?

by Anonymousreply 26509/18/2012

Cigarette smoke is gross!!! Second hand smoke is a killer! Rights for smokers??? What about fresh air rights in your apartment? I dont smoke, but all my stuff is stinking like i smoke, because of a new downstairs neighbour that smokes evey 10 minutes inside and out...I cant have my windows open...but if i leave them closed its bad also!!!My eyes burn, my nose is burning..its horrible! I try to get his pattern down so i can open the windows, but its pretty impossible...

by Anonymousreply 26610/26/2012

If you cannot smoke in your own house because it annoys the neighbours, then where can you smoke ?

by Anonymousreply 26710/27/2012

It's so absurd people in 2012 still smoke. Idiots. My next door neighbor smokes too and I hate when it's nice enough to have the windows open...if the person is outstide though there's nothing you can say...I wish he'd do it in his own home though but his wife won't allow it...gee wonder why.

by Anonymousreply 26810/27/2012

WTF??? How did the body of the OP's post get replaced by a totally unrelated response to what is probably another thread?

Has the webbie been replaced by gremlins?

Cue the "Twilight Zone" signation...

by Anonymousreply 26910/27/2012

R269 I got the same thing. Weird.

by Anonymousreply 27010/27/2012

Oddness abounds on DL today.

by Anonymousreply 27110/27/2012

Thank GOD. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown or some shit. I've been noticing these completely random posts appearing in--and then completely not commented upon--in numeerous threads for days. I'd be reading a thread about Obama and all of a sudden there'd be a post in the thread about some ugly cat and then the other posts would just continue with Obama and I'd be thinking, "Am I the only one seeing the post about the ugly cat?"

Whew! I guess I took all that lithium for nothing!

by Anonymousreply 27210/27/2012

As the OP for this thread, I'm happy to say that the Terrible Neighbors have moved, taking their noise, smoke, barking dog (sometimes barking all night because they were passed out drunk) and meanness with them.

And they took a $125k loss on the place.

I'm satisfied, so the replacement of the thread opener is fine with me!

by Anonymousreply 27310/28/2012

you guys really, 273 posts to the reply of garbage. if i was forum mod. this thread would be locked for non sense hahahah.

by Anonymousreply 27411/11/2012

Try not being a little fag and get over it! If I want to smoke on my property, well, sucks for you.

by Anonymousreply 27511/11/2012

You should buy the place. Then you can pick your neighbors!

by Anonymousreply 27611/11/2012

the smokers stink and are poisoning people and are defensive because they know they stink.

Too bad smokers did not live next to the "fragrance seekers" who use horrible toxic laundry products that belch out of the vents morning noon and night.

These two sets of rude types deserve each other and we oxygen breathing people should not even have to deal with either of the two issues.

by Anonymousreply 27711/14/2012

Buy 3 or 4 "Vornado" fans place them facing up and in between you and the smokers patio. Turn them on every time they come out to smoke.

by Anonymousreply 28111/25/2012

I smoke but at least I can spell.

by Anonymousreply 28211/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 28411/25/2012

unbelievable that some people have enough time for stupid replies. If you cant contribute something positive keep trolling the internet for something else.

by Anonymousreply 28601/12/2013

Sorry but they are in their house. As long as they are not being obnoxious with noises and parties and fights etc, you have no right !!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 28701/12/2013

Were they smoking tear gas? Listen. My downstairs neighbors are Korean, and sometimes I throw up a little when I walk through the hall to get outside. Other times I want to invite myself in for dinner it smells so fucking good. Another neighbor likes to burn incense I liken to the smell of fresh burning meth. These are the prices we pay for not living on farm in Kentucky. We cohabitate. I'm assuming you didn't have the money to buy your own property, and I feel for that...the world has become smaller as we have become larger. I assure you...the amount of "smoke" you inhale while waiting at a stop light will harm you more than this. I sound like a dick...clearly, but I feel your pain, and I want you to understand that not enjoying (rather feeling defiled by) a particular scent or smell doesn't actually make you allergic to it. I promise it will be OK. PS Did you and your partner meet at an allergy clinic?

by Anonymousreply 28901/13/2013

R289 - Right on!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 29001/13/2013

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 29201/13/2013

R288, don't kid yourself. Nobody read all that.

by Anonymousreply 29301/13/2013

Fuck off OP. It's their right to smoke on their property. Allergic to ass. You and your partner are whiney Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 29401/13/2013

" . . . coupled with internet links to silliness" has me in stitches, R288! Where do you think we ARE?

by Anonymousreply 29601/13/2013

I know this sounds unusual but I, too, couldn't stand the smell of smoke and for years it irked the hell out of me when I was near a smoker. When I had a neighbor move in, all smokers, it bugged the hell out me too since I enjoy being outside in my yard. Eventually we all befriended, after they installed a pool and repeatedly invited me to join them and sometimes their friends and family. After some weeks of "pooling" together, and note that they were always respectful in that, when they'd smoke, they'd usually blow their smoke away from me, etc., the "smoking conversation" started up. Well, it turned out the the neighbor's husband wasn't a smoker when they first married and he, too, couldn't stand the constant smell of smoke. His wife convinced him that, if he'd give smoking a try, he'd actually like the smell, as she did. He actually tried it, liked it after awhile and became a smoker which, according to him, actually improved their relationship. So, of course she suggested that I follow suit! Ever since that conversation she'd enjoy toying with me in that regard: trying to put her cigarette in my mouth, not smoking away from me, wearing provocative clothing, getting her husband to convince me, and more (some of which I think may be too risque to write here). Well, long-story-short, she got me and, needless to say, she was right. Now, I'm not replying here as advice but I thought my experience would be, at least, somewhat interesting. I'm still amazed about it all.

by Anonymousreply 29701/19/2013

Someone needs to do a study on the correlation between militant anti-smokers and their failure to grasp even a basic middle school level of English.

by Anonymousreply 29803/10/2013

Why aren't anti-smoking neurotics also allergic to car exhaust fumes?

by Anonymousreply 29903/10/2013

Why is everyone responding to a post that started 3 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 30003/11/2013

because they are cunts, R300.

by Anonymousreply 30103/11/2013

A non-smoker who isn't looking to vilify their smoking neighbor would put a small fan in front of their window (if truly necessary) instead of vilifying said neighbor and indulging in pitiful whining about their hot-house flower preciousness.

by Anonymousreply 30306/17/2013

by Anonymousreply 30406/17/2013

Mind your own fucking business !!!!!?

by Anonymousreply 30506/19/2013

smokers are the LEAST of your problems, babe

by Anonymousreply 30708/04/2013

Here's an article for ALL of y'all.

by Anonymousreply 30808/04/2013

Put a fan on your back porch.

If you are allergic to smoke does it bother you when all winter long, people use their fire places? I can't enjoy going out in the winter because of all the fire places. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!

Don't you ever have a wind that blows the smoke in another direction? I had a friend and neighbor who constantly complained he could smell cigarette smoke from three apartments down...I never once smelled the smoke.

by Anonymousreply 31310/13/2013

[quote] It's physical, not psychological

No it isn't. Years ago, people smoked everywhere. I remember my dad smoking in the supermarket and they told him to flick his ashes on the floor, not near the produce bins. Elevators, buses, trains, hospitals. When a patient asked for a non-smoking room, we checked all over the hospital to find a room where someone was on oxygen. That's how rare it was.

Nobody once got admitted to our hospital, nor needed medication for a "physical allergy" to cigarette smoke. Shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, strawberries, eggs, bee stings -- yes. We had patients who had to be tended to because of those allergies. they needed medication and medical treatment. But in 30 years in health care, not one ER visit or admission for cigarette smoke allergy.

There are some asthmatics whose asthma is aggravated by cigarette smoke. But we only saw them when they spent time in the same room with someone who smoked. Never, ever did we come across an asthmatic whose asthma was aggravated by a person smoking outdoors in a yard. Not even in their own yard.

by Anonymousreply 31510/13/2013

OP is trolling.

by Anonymousreply 31910/21/2013

I would tell you to KISS MY ASS!!

Maybe they're not so fond of the smell of your pet's dogshit wafting into their yard.

by Anonymousreply 32010/21/2013

Just be glad you have a partner and stop stressing over people smoking OUTSIDE.

by Anonymousreply 32210/21/2013

Ewwww! OP is no longer funny!

by Anonymousreply 32610/21/2013

OP, buy a big outdoor fan and turn it on whenever you go outside so it will blow the smoke away from you and back toward the neighbor's house. You can't control what others do so you'll have to figure something out.

by Anonymousreply 32710/21/2013

OP WTF - you're a control freak.

There's an easy solution, move. You can't start telling your neighbors how to live. They'll shoot you.

by Anonymousreply 32911/04/2013

by Anonymousreply 33011/04/2013

Smoke doesn't contain any proteins therefore it is *impossible* to be allergic to it. It is not an allergen and that is just fact, like it or not.

It's not healthy and it's not pleasant but you cannot be allergic to it. If you experience symptoms then there is an underlying cause and you need to speak to a physician about that instead of assuming smoke=symptoms therefore smoke=allergy.

by Anonymousreply 33411/04/2013

They should care R335. If they are claiming an allergy to something that they cannot possibly be allergic to:

1; anyone they are complaining to will say they are an attention-whoring fuckwit who cannot be taken seriously.

2; they may have a medical condition that requires treatment instead of just whining at the neighbors.

Seriously, if you have symptoms when smelling smoke, WHICH YOU CANNOT BE ALLERGIC TO then you have other medical issues which need addressed.

by Anonymousreply 33611/06/2013

I too was allergic to smoke but I found that when I too decided to smoke, second hand smoke did not bother me anymore. The only problem is I now have to go outside to smoke, and living in the northeast, it gets cold outside. I don't want to stink up my house either. So, I would suggest moving to the country where there is more space between the houses. Preferably in an area that does not have prostitution nearby because prostitutes tend to smoke because of the high pressure associated with their chosen profession.

by Anonymousreply 33711/26/2013

Smoking is perfectly legal. It's none of the OP's business what the neighbors do and she can't do a thing about it anyway.

Move. It doesn't matter if the OP doesn't want to or thinks it's unfair. No one is obliged to accommodate the OP. She can either move or have no one to blame but herself for her unhappiness.

by Anonymousreply 33811/26/2013

[bold]No Clear Link Between Passive Smoking and Lung Cancer

by Anonymousreply 34112/19/2013

"What a bunch of smoking douche bags you all are. What the fuck?? You think I want my kids sniffing your fucking second hand smoke because you have RIGHTS to smoke????"

Fuck you and fuck your fucking kids, okay, R306?

Oh, and your pets too.

Fascist twat.

by Anonymousreply 34212/19/2013

Everybody used to smoke. I and my sisters grew up in the 60s in a cloud of our parents' smoke. We're still healthy.. well my older sister's a whack job but I don't think that's due to smoking.

In my family, half the people smoked. The other half lived breathing in other people's smoke. The ones who smoked died in their 60s-70s. The ones who just smoked secondhand lived into their 90s.

I don't believe in the least that secondhand smoke has ever killed anybody - or made them sick.

by Anonymousreply 34412/19/2013

Pay not attention to actual scientific research, r345.

by Anonymousreply 34612/19/2013

Sell up and move to a nice, sanitary apartment with air con and locked windows.

by Anonymousreply 34712/19/2013

What a coincidence, my next door neighbors are amokin!

by Anonymousreply 35112/30/2013

Once more for the stupid people

As irritating as you may find it, smoke does not trigger "allergies" in anyone.

by Anonymousreply 35212/30/2013

What I find fascinating is the stalker/torturer OP following the neighbors after they moved, calling their families, pretending to be bill collectors, harassing them on the job, etc. She posts this as if it were normal and acceptable behavior.

From the information in her posts, the neighbors never actually did anything to her and she never even told them that the smoke was a problem.

After they moved, she began tormenting them? OP is a psycho fucking bitch or an Electro Shock Therapy victim run amok.

by Anonymousreply 35412/30/2013

OP you must be a real Pussy.

by Anonymousreply 35512/30/2013

You sound over emotional and insane R358.

What would you request that the smokers do?

by Anonymousreply 35912/01/2014

358, it sounds like your hissy-fit is affecting your health much more that the person's smoking is.

by Anonymousreply 36012/01/2014

The anti-smoking lobbying has conditioned people to become so god damned neurotic about the slightest scent of tobacco, that they lose their shit.

Do you start gasping for air and fall on the ground in the throws of death when one of your other neighbors fire up their BBQ grill or light up their fire place in the winter? Do you nearly suffocate to death when your friends invite you over to their fire pit? Are you appalled when someone lights up a Yankee candle? How on earth do you make it through church ceremonies with all those candles and incense? How on earth do you walk through a parking lot or down a sidewalk with all those cars firing up their exhaust fumes?!

Yet you same people turn into insufferable victims at even the thought of someone smoking a cigarette.

I wish someone would come out with a tobacco scented reed diffuser air freshener just to piss off the anti-smoker drama queens.

by Anonymousreply 36212/01/2014

Love you, 362

by Anonymousreply 36312/01/2014

R362 speaks truth.

by Anonymousreply 36801/25/2015

Then same people who are standing next to a bus impassively belching diesel fumes just swoon if someone walks by smoking a cigarette. It's OUTSIDE. I call bullshit on all of it.

by Anonymousreply 36901/25/2015

How is it that is many 'allergies' were invented in the 80's ? What a bunch of hot house lilies we've turned into.

by Anonymousreply 37001/25/2015

OP there is nothing you can do. It's their property.

by Anonymousreply 37301/25/2015

Ever think that whenever you go into anyone's house, an office building, a store, an airplane, etc., people have been passing gas in there sometime during the day, and it's mixed into the air you're breathing? The odor has passed, but you're breathing in all the bacteria contained in the flatus. The people who claim to be allergic to it are going to have a very sensitive campaign against flatulence. Then comes the thread "my neighbors fart outside, my bf and I are very allergic to it."

by Anonymousreply 37501/25/2015

#371... You're comparing someone smoking outside to hitting someone in the head with a hammer? It makes me wonder how many times YOU'VE been hit in the head with a hammer.

Your response is a little "aggressive", no? Save the hostility for your therapist.

by Anonymousreply 37601/25/2015

Hey OP you do realize the tacky carpet in your house produces more toxic fumes than smoking ever could? Also do you realize that the toxic chemicals you clean your home with is shortening your precious life span? And think of the children when you and your partner drive your Volvos because they are polluting the air near playgrounds and even children tucked into their beds are suffering from your selfishness.

by Anonymousreply 37901/25/2015

OP, I have a question. My insane neighbor came over recently and claimed my "cigarette smoking" was so overpowering, it was seeping into her house somehow and they couldn't stand it. Her solution was to over-insulate their attic and that "stopped the smell." We live in townhouses with one adjoining wall. The rest of the walls are open to the outside.

The weird thing is, I don't smoke. Nobody in my house smokes. Nobody has smoked a single cigarette in the house for the last ten years. Our A/C and ductwork are completely separate and there's a firewall separating both properties in the attic. The house doesn't smell like smoke. Somebody was in the attic quite recently and there's nothing smoky in there.

Are my neighbors just trying to gaslight me, or is there something else it could be? I am totally puzzled by this. Have you and your over-sensitive lungs been able to smell something through the ductwork or in the interior of your house? Anything at all? They are really crazy, but I don't know if they are totally making it up, or wildly exaggerating something.

by Anonymousreply 38001/25/2015

Two options:

(1.) Put up with it, or,

(2.) Move.

by Anonymousreply 38101/25/2015

I quit smoking years ago. I loathe and despise anti-smoking Nazis. What a bunch of precious little snowflakes and sensitive little MARYS.

Just shut the fuck up. If you're so deathly "allergic" to cigarette smoke, go live somewhere you can avoid it. As it is now, it's legal. It doesn't matter what you think about it or how you feel about it. People smoke and they aren't going to stop just because you don't like it.

The rest of the world is under no obligation to make you people happy. Get over yourselves or look into something like this:

by Anonymousreply 38201/25/2015

Applauding R382

by Anonymousreply 38301/25/2015

This thread was posted in 2010. I assume by now at least one neighbor has shot the other. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 38801/26/2015

[388] heh heh heh, brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 38901/26/2015

No, the OP ended up dying in a grease fire, accidentally touched off by a carelessly flicked lit cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 39001/26/2015

OP, fuck you--you are not allergic to it. You just don't like the smell.

by Anonymousreply 39201/27/2015

R362 and r382 should die long, slow deaths from lung disease.

by Anonymousreply 39404/19/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!