Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

NYC gay pride parade-There was a lot of very rude, loud, obnoxious, drunken and disrespectful behavior

Nothing to be proud of Manhattan: I was disappointed in the behavior of many of the paradegoers at Sunday's gay pride parade. There was a lot of very rude, loud, obnoxious, drunken and disrespectful behavior at the parade, in the surrounding streets and parks and even on the subways. No matter what your sexual orientation, you should understand that you are in public and not in your living room, and conduct yourself accordingly. Show a bit more pride - and some self-respect and respect for others. Agatha Jadwiszczok (Published as a letter to the editor in Today's edition of the NY Daily News)

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2013

Agatha has clearly never been to the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Next to that, the Gay Pride Parade is like a ladies' high tea.

Agatha's just another Catholic homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 106/30/2010

As has been proven repeatedly here on DL... the fraus really get pissed off at loud proud and out gays.

by Anonymousreply 206/30/2010

OP, it wasn't that they were gay that made them rude, loud, obnoxious, drunken, and disrespectful... it was because they were New Yorkers.We cherish them here.

by Anonymousreply 306/30/2010

In that kind of oppressive heat humidity, anyone can be excused for being rude, loud, obnoxious, drunken or disrespectful.

Or in my case, for staying home.

by Anonymousreply 406/30/2010

you're sounding old, pussycat.

by Anonymousreply 506/30/2010

I live in the West Village and every year, people drive in, park their cars, set up lawn chairs on the sidewalk, pull out a hibachi and blast their car stereo. I could understand if this was along the parade route during the parade, but these people stay until dark. Why would anyone want to sit on a concrete sidewalk, when there is a nice grassy area over by the Hudson River or the beautiful Central Park to go to?

by Anonymousreply 606/30/2010

"Gay Pride Day is the only day in New York where gays are allowed to act like Puerto Ricans."%0D %0D Then you get to be called on it like Puerto Ricans too.

by Anonymousreply 806/30/2010

[quote]you're sounding old, pussycat.%0D %0D Pot meet kettle

by Anonymousreply 906/30/2010

That's really odd, R6.

by Anonymousreply 1006/30/2010

"No matter what your sexual orientation, you should understand that you are in public and not in your living room, and conduct yourself accordingly. Show a bit more pride - and some self-respect and respect for others."%0D %0D In other words, don't show ANY sign of affection between you and your same-sex partner.

by Anonymousreply 1106/30/2010

How were they disrespectful? Did they criticize her outfit?

by Anonymousreply 1206/30/2010

Pride parades are so 1990. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 1306/30/2010

Pride Parades are thick with breeders now. It's barely our celebration now and they think they can dictate the rules of our celebration, so as not to offend little Ashley and Baxter.

by Anonymousreply 1406/30/2010

I'm with R14 on this: They ARE thick with breeders. I mean, just by the fact that the events are now called "parades" when they used to be called "marches." %0D %0D The day had become more of a spectacle than anything else - which is fine providing that's all you want.

by Anonymousreply 1506/30/2010

Thousands of gays in one place with rude, loud, obnoxious, drunken and disrespectful behavior? That sounds like my own house...and there are only two of us.

by Anonymousreply 1606/30/2010

I agree with r15. It is now a parade, a spectacle on the level of Mardi Gras.

by Anonymousreply 1806/30/2010

It's like celebrating the feast of St. Patrick by getting drunk, being obnoxious, and claiming it was all because of pride in a heritage.

by Anonymousreply 1906/30/2010

Has it really become that bad? I moved away from NYC in 2005, and it didn't seem rowdy then.

by Anonymousreply 2006/30/2010

New York isn't the same as it was in 2005. Now, even in a parade for gays, you have to watch your language and behavior, lest you offend little Jaden or Tiffani whom their parents have brought to the parade.

by Anonymousreply 2106/30/2010

Bitch, PLEASE.

She clearly doesn't live here since nothing can possibly compare to the disgusting display that occurs on St. Patrick's Day.

by Anonymousreply 2206/30/2010

Atlanta moved Pride to the last weekend in October last year. I live on the parade route, and I miss the scantily clad youths.

by Anonymousreply 2306/30/2010

What do the Puerto Rican Day Parade, the St. Patrick's Day Parade, the West Indian Parade, etc., etc., have to do with the validity of this complaint? People act like assholes at parades--all parades. If no one is supposed to complain, why do we have the annual disgrace that is the P.R. Parade thread here every year? Stop acting like being gay makes you above critique. It doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 2406/30/2010

what does getting shitfaced have to do with gay pride?

by Anonymousreply 2506/30/2010

I don't think it was particularly worse or better then every other year to tell you the truth.

I do think the way the police set up the barricades to control traffic at the end of the route is extremely obnoxious and designed to say "go home faggots."

by Anonymousreply 2606/30/2010

Jesus Christ, she should live in my neighborhood -- Avenue A just below 14th -- and deal with the NIGHTLY parade of STRAIGHT COLLEGE ASSHOLES. Straight girls puking on the curb, drunk shouting straight guys. But it's more fun to bitch about gays, I'm sure, when you're straight.

by Anonymousreply 2706/30/2010

Aggie sounds like a constipated old nag who sucks lemons. Fuck her.

That said, I agree that the "parades" are grotesque. I dread the St Paddy's day every year because I work in mid-town and have to hack my way through the blitzed big-haired NJ twats shrieking in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 2806/30/2010

I took the train into the city for other reasons on Sunday and without question, the rudest people on the subway were the obese, latina lesbians. They seemed to take pride in acting like tough "macho" men when they were really fat sloppy-looking women.

by Anonymousreply 2906/30/2010

A majority of people who participate in the NYC Pride parade are minorities and people on this site for the most part have nothing nice to say about minorities.

by Anonymousreply 3206/30/2010

What a stupid comment R32. A significant portion of the (non-tourist) parade-goer WERE rude and at best, common. Adn there's no debating that fact.

by Anonymousreply 3306/30/2010

[quote] When you get down to the West Village portion of the parade you notice that the vast majority of revelers are ghetto as all hell.

A lot of young minorities congregate and hang out in the West Village all year long. You see them on Christopher Street and the pier. They are all LGBT and don't have any where to really go. They can't go to bars and their often not welcome in the neighborhoods/families they grew up in. Many are homeless.

And the gay community ignores them because they are not white and they are poor and it's a real fucking shame.

You people need to wake up and realize that the people who fought at Stonewall would have been considered "ghetto" too.

by Anonymousreply 3406/30/2010

R32 = Alberta Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 3506/30/2010

Over the years, as they have become more main stream, the NYC Gay Pride Parade has become more roudy and younger as well- with lots of money making opportunities thrown in. In the earlier days they were more political- and unique because they were.%0D %0D Now they are not that different from PR Day and St Patrick's Day parades. Lots of loud drunk youngsters (sorry- older guys don't get much of a thrill out of just getting drunk during the day- having done it.)%0D %0D In the Village trashy vendors are everywhere- it's not a pretty scene anymore. It is still a spectacle, but not one that interests me anymore. That's OK because old farts like me can express our pride other ways. %0D %0D Young gays and lesbians have become more or less like young NYers in general- not pleasant in crowds etc. Just goes to show you that people are not all that different when it comes down to it. Parallels the dumbing down of DL over the last 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 3606/30/2010

"They are all LGBT and don't have any where to really go. They can't go to bars and their often not welcome in the neighborhoods/families they grew up in."%0D %0D Bullshit. They can go into any bar they want to in NYC; they CHOOSE to be outsiders.

by Anonymousreply 3706/30/2010

[quote]Bullshit. They can go into any bar they want to in NYC; they CHOOSE to be outsiders.

I'm not R34, but I'm assuming he's talking about the fact that the young minorities who congregate on Christopher Street are often teens, and thus too young to go to the bars.

by Anonymousreply 3806/30/2010

R38. Or they can't afford to buy $12 drinks.

by Anonymousreply 3906/30/2010

R34 here. Yes, I am talking about LGBT youth who are in fact too young to enter gay bars.

I know it may be shocking to R37, but young people, are coming out at very early ages. And they, unlike, you don't solely want to sit Vlada and compare iPads and toupees.

by Anonymousreply 4006/30/2010

What a bizarre response r40, where did you hang out at that age? %0D %0D There are plenty of McDonalds for them to congregate in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 4106/30/2010

R32 and R34 have it right.

by Anonymousreply 4206/30/2010

Aggie's probably one of those super-Catholic Poles who went into a terrible depression when John Paul II's miracle fizzled, delaying his sainthood.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4306/30/2010

Hey! We had shootings at our parade in SF.. bet you didn't have any. What is a parade without a shooting or two?

We are just so happy to be out and about now, we can hardly contain ourselves!

We aint your grandma's 4th of July parade my dear, get used to the mayhem or get outa the way and off the route.

by Anonymousreply 4406/30/2010

I'm a gay man, and I have to agree with Agatha. There was very little "pride" on display in that parade.

What does gay pride have to do with a bunch of drug-addled or drunk gym bunnies in Speedos gyrating on a float to tuneless techno music. Nothing.

I've avoided the so-called gay pride parade in New York for the past 10 years. It's not very dignified.

by Anonymousreply 4506/30/2010

We as a society demand great, over the top, downright offensive gestures since we no longer notice anything less.

by Anonymousreply 4606/30/2010

Hey, maybe it was gay Puerto Ricans.

by Anonymousreply 4706/30/2010

In total agreement with r24, r32 and r 34, right on the money.

by Anonymousreply 4806/30/2010

I thought every day was Puerto Rican Day in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 4906/30/2010

r49??

ENOUGH!

by Anonymousreply 5006/30/2010

[quote]You people need to wake up and realize that the people who fought at Stonewall would have been considered "ghetto" too.%0D %0D Yeah, they "would have been considered ghetto" if they acted like you and your friends. %0D %0D But they didn't, did they? And they weren't, aren't and never will be "ghetto".%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5106/30/2010

I'm sure Agatha has complaints about every parade not just the gays. And I'm sure she takes the time to put those complaints in writing to the local paper. %0D %0D Really. %0D %0D I am. %0D %0D So fucking sure.

by Anonymousreply 5206/30/2010

What made this day different from any other day in the city?

by Anonymousreply 5306/30/2010

So unless you complain about every parade, regardless of your individual experience, you are a "bigot" r52? That response just sounds so knee-jerk and dishonest.

by Anonymousreply 5406/30/2010

Having attended the parade this year after a five year absence, I will say this: this parade was a big yawnfest. %0D %0D I was up around 30th and 5th avenue and it was packed. The crowd was ok this far uptown, but the comment about obese lesbians was spot-on. %0D %0D I had a huge-ass lesbian park herself right in my face after I set up chairs an hour-and-a- half before the parade even started. She remained there until the very freakin end. %0D %0D I think I have attended my last NYC pride event. %0D

by Anonymousreply 5506/30/2010

[quote]So unless you complain about every parade, regardless of your individual experience, you are a "bigot" [R52]? That response just sounds so knee-jerk and dishonest.%0D %0D Ugh DL is so overrun with you gay hating fraus it is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 5606/30/2010

And let's not forget the Irish idiots proclaiming that gays couldn't march in their parade because it was a religious holiday. Does "religious holiday" mean it's an excuse for Irish folk to drink and puke to show the pride they have in being Irish?

by Anonymousreply 5706/30/2010

Walking through the West Village during Gay Pride is like a ancient Roman legionnaire going to battle with the Great Horde of Germania. Absolute barbarism on an epic scale. You have to literally stand there for 15 minutes to get down three blocks. Wall to wall B&T trash with poor hygiene in dripping wet 100 degree weather.

I would take a gander and say that the actual residents of the West Village must absolutely loathe this day. The aftermath is pretty disgusting. Empty soda bottles and little plastic baggies strewn all over the usually well manicured streets of that tony neighborhood.

by Anonymousreply 5806/30/2010

[quote]What does gay pride have to do with a bunch of drug-addled or drunk gym bunnies in Speedos gyrating on a float to tuneless techno music. Nothing. I've avoided the so-called gay pride parade in New York for the past 10 years. It's not very dignified.

Dignified? You want a fucking parade to be dignified??

You sound really, really old, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 5906/30/2010

R58, While the pride parade has never been my thing, I would imagine that as tedious as the noise and mess must be, I've always thought that the West Vllage was the neighborhood for rich people who consider having the Pride Parade going on outside their apartments and townhouses to be proof of their own vibrant bohemianism.

by Anonymousreply 6006/30/2010

Lordy. Enough already! Do all of your criticizing know what Pride is about?

It's about being proud of WHO YOU ARE.

Maybe you don't aspire to be a fat ethnic Lesbian, or a "bridge & tunneler," or even a hottie in a speedo on a float, but that's who they are and they are proud. Pride is a time we celebrate who we are and it's a pretty incredible and moving thing.

Stop trying to proclaim that people not like you or who deviate from your vision of what being LGBT should look like are bad. Pride is not only about you and your friends. It's about a whole diverse group of people. There are many colors on the Pride flag people.

Diversity is not be a bad thing. Maybe you would be better off in the Taliban or the Nazis or the Westboro Baptist Church, where conformity is celebrated.

You people are no worse then the many people over the years who don't think we should be gay.

by Anonymousreply 6106/30/2010

Sorry, but I just don't see why someone would be proud to be drugged out and dancing on a float. Call me crazy.

by Anonymousreply 6207/01/2010

You kids get off mah lawn!

by Anonymousreply 6307/01/2010

Naturally they were rude and obnoxious. Why should the gays be any different than other Americans?

by Anonymousreply 6407/01/2010

People were rude and obnoxious and drunk at a parade! Ghastly!%0D %0D They weren't showing their best selves by doing this? Shocking!%0D %0D Thank God the Irish know how to run a sober, religious celebration that shows them off at their best!%0D %0D Thank God the Mexicans know how to run a great celebration of the shithole they can't stand to live in yet constantly celebrate. (That is if they have enough money after sending some back to their relatives too poor to get out.)

by Anonymousreply 6507/02/2010

When was it decided that gay men like shitty music like Rhianna and Gaga and all that wretched techno?

by Anonymousreply 6707/01/2013

Was it the Santorum Fountain float, Agatha?

by Anonymousreply 6807/01/2013

I think the three major NYC parades (Gays, Irish, Latino) are all pretty low. As a matter of fact, they've become interchangeable. Loud, obnoxious, trashy people who don't give a fuck about anyone around them.

The difference with the Gay parade is too many people who should keep their clothes on walk around 3/4 naked and most of them shouldn't.

I don't want to see anyone is assless chaps or a g string walking around on a Sunday afternoon.

I have to see that yesterday, I was embarrassed to identify myself as gay.

Whatever happened to class, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 6907/01/2013

R69, I don't want to see anybody who calls them assless chaps at our parade you old fart.

If chaps had an ass in them they'd be called pants.

by Anonymousreply 7007/01/2013

Hooligans! Oafs! Jackanapes!

by Anonymousreply 7107/01/2013

I was there and it was fine, no rudeness on the street at all.

by Anonymousreply 7207/01/2013

Sometime during the '70s, R67.

by Anonymousreply 7307/01/2013

I saw a fat, older lesbian in a wheelchair singing along to some horrible song being blared from the float in front of her.

Just watching the parade for an hour and listening to all that over-amplified shitty music made my ears hurt.

by Anonymousreply 7407/01/2013

How would one know what was published in the New York Daily News?

by Anonymousreply 7507/01/2013

Real gay New Yorkers leave town on Pride Day.

by Anonymousreply 7607/01/2013

[quote]Hey! We had shootings at our parade in SF.. bet you didn't have any. What is a parade without a shooting or two?

None of the shootings at SF Pride or Castro Halloween were done by LGBT people. We all know who the culprits were. The same types who ruin every event they attend.

by Anonymousreply 7707/01/2013

The protracted death of New York is delicious.

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2013

I'm gay and I detest these embarrassing spectacles. Just another excuse to get drunk, drugged up, and get laid. Wonder how many guys picked up an STD last night?

by Anonymousreply 7907/01/2013

[post by racist shit-stain #3 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 8007/01/2013

how many DO?

by Anonymousreply 8107/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 8207/01/2013

We should start making the parades more about SEX and drive some of these prudes away.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2013

I am proud to say that none of my friends would go near the parade. It's for the lower element of the gay papulation.

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2013

How many, r82? Most of them? Half of them? Some of them?

Do go on.

by Anonymousreply 8507/01/2013

She's probably a Polish illegal.

by Anonymousreply 8607/01/2013

R82 - homophobic wingnut with shitty impulse control. to wit;

[quote]LMAO!!!! yeah gays are so empathetic and so logical. Any Bug chasing parties this week? Gay men treat each other like shit!!!

Begone, pathetic twat.

by Anonymousreply 8707/01/2013

Drunken? That dulls the effect of the drugs.

by Anonymousreply 8807/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 8907/01/2013

Just fuck off and die, troll.

by Anonymousreply 9007/01/2013

What idiot bumped a thread from 3 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 9107/01/2013

Was Agatha the witch who married Patrick Wilson?I get them all confused.

by Anonymousreply 9207/01/2013

Damn, but there are lot of Polly Prisses posting here. As an official senior, I march every year and don't see any major difference over the years - it's fun, happy, and yes, sometimes crude (so what?)

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.