Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What TV commercial do you remember best from your childhood?

This Anacin commerical from the mid-1960s used to scare me as a kid. The woman's intensity when she screams at her kid is really beyond anything you saw on commercials back then. It's even odd in comparison to today's commercials; the tone is very off-putting.%0D %0D I remember the woman looking really old...more like someone's grandmother than mother...but watching it decades later, I realize the actress was probably only in her early thirties at the time.

by Anonymousreply 22901/20/2014

Call Roto-Rooter, that's the name,

And away go troubles, down the drain.

by Anonymousreply 206/29/2010

Uh oh! Forgot to add the fabric softener!

by Anonymousreply 306/29/2010

Hey Anthony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 406/29/2010

So true R4, in the North End of Boston, Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day!

by Anonymousreply 606/29/2010

Tease!%0D %0D The peels of cucumbers are kind of bitter, which is why many recipes say peel 'em. %0D %0D Just as an aside, the gazpacho recipe I use is from Penelope Casas' "The Foods And Wines of Spain." The first time I made it I thought, "This doesn't taste right!" Then I noticed in the notes she was bragging about how this gazpacho was just as good as other versions but lighter because she omitted the olive oil and bread. She's lying. I put in olive oil and bread and it was perfect!

by Anonymousreply 706/29/2010

The Norwegian Cruise line commercial by Herb Ritts where a pair of hands fondles a male model's pectorals.

by Anonymousreply 906/29/2010

I love "the worm turns" movies like Carrie. I've never seen it but there's a TV movie called "The Girl Most Likely" (I think) starring Stockard Channing I'd like to see. She plays the ugly girl who everyone tormented in high school who gets plastic surgery, becomes beautiful, and goes back for revenge.

by Anonymousreply 1006/29/2010

Mr. Whipple "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!" "Peter.." .Christmas Folgers' commercial...God, I lusted after him! "I'm a Pepper...You're a Pepper..." "What's the third world?" "Where's the beef?" Commercial about pollution with the American Indian shedding a tear at the end. Some commercial about education with Abe Lincoln in an unemployment office unable to get a job without a high school diploma. "I love NY!" campaigns with Broadway shows "I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Wiener..." McDonald's commercialls with Ronald McDonald , the Hamburglar et al. Anti-smoking commercial with child imitating father driving.

by Anonymousreply 1106/29/2010

There was a PSA when I was a kid that was supposed to be I guess to tell people to have enough money to heat their homes or something. It involved a mom helping a little boy get dressed up in a snow suit only to reveal he's doing it to go to bed, not to go outside.

I'm not entirely sure why, but it just kind of flitted through my brain on my way back from school this morning. And honest to god, I nearly burst into tears. I'd look it up on YouTube to see if it's as traumatic as I remember, but I'm too afraid.

by Anonymousreply 1206/29/2010

"Peter Comes Home for Christmas" - Folgers

by Anonymousreply 1306/29/2010

I think it was for right guard... two guys on opposite sides of a wall sharing a medicine cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 1406/29/2010

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.%0D %0D I can't believe I ate the whole thing!%0D %0D Gee, your hair smells terrific.%0D %0D Where's the beef?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1506/29/2010

The Ajax knight - stronger than dirt!%0D %0D Farfel singing N-E-S-T-L-E-S, Nestles makes the very best chocolate.%0D %0D Josephine the plumber and Madge the manicurist.%0D %0D Sky King's plane spinning and morphing into the Nabisco logo.

by Anonymousreply 1606/29/2010

Banana Splits version of Jiff peanut butter with grape jelly swirl. My mother told me it would not turn me into a dog or provide me with a souped up mini cart. I choose to believe she was a liar.

by Anonymousreply 1706/29/2010

"It's not fraahd, it's Shake'n Bake!"

"And ah halped!"

by Anonymousreply 1806/29/2010

The big New Coke commercials. I was so excited for New Coke, but it ended up tasting just like Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 1906/29/2010

I remember a lot of the ones mentioned and an anti-drug psa. I think there was a family and there was a son shooting heroin %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2006/29/2010

Madge you're soaking in it. Kool-Aid Kool Aid tastes great Kool-Aid Kool-Aid can't wait. It's the real thing, Coke is. Have it your way at Burger King. It's hard not to think of the Bay. Wonderful, wonderful, Wonder Bra! Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

by Anonymousreply 2106/29/2010

Ooh, PSAs!

This is your brain on drugs:

Any questions?

by Anonymousreply 2206/29/2010

When I was probably about four we had a little kitten and the neighbor kids got it wet to be mean. It disappeared the next day and when I asked where it went my sister told me it had died. It actually hadn't, she was just a conniving hateful cunt and my parents had gotten rid of it. Well I thought that it had died because it had gotten wet. So I thought you couldn't ever get a cat wet or it would die.

At the time there was a scene in a commercial about families where they wash a little kitten and I remember losing it when I saw that because I just knew that kitten was going to die.

by Anonymousreply 2306/29/2010

"I like the Sprite in you." Even as a kid, I noticed the hot guys!

by Anonymousreply 2406/29/2010

Christmas coke - hippies on the mountain singing "I'd like to buy the world some coke"

by Anonymousreply 2506/29/2010

Remember the Timex commericals where they would strap it to an elephants leg or send it under water. "It takes a licking but keeps on ticking."

by Anonymousreply 2606/29/2010

Smacksie the Seal for Sugar Smacks! %0D %0D And I had totally forgotten about Sky King and the Nabisco logo.

by Anonymousreply 2706/29/2010

all of these

by Anonymousreply 2806/29/2010

The old "MOTHER, PLEASE. I'd rather DO IT MYSELF" Anacin commercial.%0D %0D This one still seems strange. It featured bitter, visceral anger of a sort that I've never again seen in a commercial.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2906/29/2010

I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (In Perfect Harmony) %0D %0D Coke commercial

by Anonymousreply 3006/29/2010

1.Sunny Delight Commercials, all sumemr long%0D %0D %0D 2.Cabage Patch kids dolls commercials%0D %0D 3. Fancy Feet commercials with voice over work by Dixie Carter?

by Anonymousreply 3106/29/2010

I don't remember what the ad was for, but I loved it -- people in line at a department store returning horrible gifts...

"Would you believe I already have two of these?"

"What sort of person would give such a present?"

by Anonymousreply 3206/29/2010

"The old "MOTHER, PLEASE. I'd rather DO IT MYSELF" Anacin commercial."%0D %0D You left out the part about how she SLAMS the lid of the pot down before excoriating her poor mother, who only asked whether she thought it needed a little salt. The expression on her mother's face was heartbreaking. I hated that commercial.

by Anonymousreply 3306/29/2010

The Teaberry Shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 3406/30/2010

The Anti-drug commercial "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?"

Always made me hungry seeing the fried egg ...

by Anonymousreply 3506/30/2010

Hey big Kool Aid

The sugary drink that came bashing through the kitchen wall like your junkie neighbor smoking PCP laced weed.

Yes get me some of that.

by Anonymousreply 3606/30/2010

by Anonymousreply 3706/30/2010

You've got an uncle in the furniture business... Joshua Doore%0D %0D Choosy Moms Choose Jif%0D %0D The Pepsi Challenge%0D %0D I can't believe I ate the whole thing...

by Anonymousreply 3806/30/2010

The Gravy Train commercials where the dog chases the little covered wagon across the kitchen floor, then it disappears into the kitchen cabinet.

by Anonymousreply 3906/30/2010

"Mom, do you douche?"

by Anonymousreply 4006/30/2010

I'm old enough to remember cigarette commercials.

*jingle* A silly millimeter longer, 101.

The dude's cigarette was so long it got caught in the elevator doors when it closed.

by Anonymousreply 4106/30/2010

OP, that commercial looks like a scene from The Twilight Zone! I kept expecting the camera to pan to Rod Serling.

by Anonymousreply 4206/30/2010

I was in the 6th grade when this commercial for Hi-C aired. My friends and I would always sing it in Sunday school at church. Of course being the good young gay kid that I was, I sang the lead girl's part. Good times at St. Elizabeth's Lutheran Church with a bunch of gay kids and girls singing this song.

by Anonymousreply 4306/30/2010

Cross at the green not in between

Give a hoot don't pollute

Only you can prevent forest fires

..and they told two friends, and so on, and so on...

by Anonymousreply 4406/30/2010

Looks like a pump, feels like a sneaker.

Sure... UN-Sure *huff* *huff*

Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that...

Mister Owl, how many licks does it take?

I love fishes cause they're so delicious! Gonna go fishin.

I am stuck on band-aid brand cuz germs don't stick on me!

Lite-brites, lite-brites; turn on the magical shining light!

and the Hi-C commercial at link (though I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person who remembers it)

but, yeah, all the ones I remember are from the late 80s and early 90s because I was born in '82.

I also know the old "Let's give it to Mikey; he'll eat anything!" commercial just because my parents have quoted it so often.

by Anonymousreply 4506/30/2010

This is another song we used to sing in my Sunday school class, much to the chagrin of our teacher. We didn't actually care about the message to this song, there were just some good parts where we could really "sell it" and belt it very loud. We didn't care if you did drugs or not, we just wanted to hear ourselves sing.

by Anonymousreply 4606/30/2010

The Yardbirds actually did a commercial for Great Shakes.

This was all I could find. There actually was an LP of all the bands who recorded the Great Shakes tune for the TV ads.

by Anonymousreply 4706/30/2010

Tony the Tiger: "Frosted Flakes are GGGGRRREAT!"

by Anonymousreply 4806/30/2010

WINK, the SASSY one!

Groovy Baby!

by Anonymousreply 4906/30/2010

My baloney has a first name, it's O-S-C-A-R.

by Anonymousreply 5006/30/2010

"Our home movie became a disaster film when my grandson said..."

"That's you, Grandma! I can tell by the wrinkly pantyhose!"

by Anonymousreply 5106/30/2010

There was a great 1960's Christmas greetings commercial for CBS where little cartoon bird would chirp a song on a little cartoon tree while the show drifted. It was very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 5206/30/2010

Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo, the original formula without the 'S'!

My mom used this stuff, it was green and smelled like pine cleanser!

by Anonymousreply 5306/30/2010

Here's one from a series of New England Telephone ads in the late 80s. It was this ongoing soap opera and it was really weird how many people were talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 5406/30/2010

The Stetson cologne commercial with Tom Selleck in a towel. [sigh]

by Anonymousreply 5506/30/2010

R23's message made me sad. I hope you got yourself another kitten when you grew up, r23.

by Anonymousreply 5606/30/2010

Ruba dub dub three men in a tub%0D and stuffd up with colds are they%0D So they rubba dub dubbed with Vick's Vapor run and rubbad their colds away.%0D %0D For some cereal - "Give it to Mikey, he'll eat anything."

by Anonymousreply 5706/30/2010

Bayer maybe? When told his friend can't come out & play, the most adorable little boy ever says, "Does she hurt % have a temperature?" It looked like his little 4 year old heart was breaking.

by Anonymousreply 5806/30/2010

I remember many of them, including this one-

by Anonymousreply 5906/30/2010

"That's a spicy meatball!"%0D %0D "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."%0D %0D Both Alka-Seltzer commercials.

by Anonymousreply 6006/30/2010

An unforgettable line reading from an actress playing a woman sitting in front of a mirror spazzing out. "Why did I cut my hair? I look like a squirrel."

My all time favorite is the one for Tiger Paws tires.

by Anonymousreply 6106/30/2010

Anyone remember the trippy Utica Club beer commercials from the '60s? I especially remember the one with go-go dancers. Couldn't find them on YouTube, but here's the song:

by Anonymousreply 6206/30/2010

Probably local, but...

No Tommy cannot come out and play. He's practicing the piano.

by Anonymousreply 6306/30/2010

my film studies teacher showed us a whole series of these old, incredibly sexist Goodyear tire commercials "WHEN THERE'S NO MAN AROUND..." -hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 6406/30/2010

Does anyone remember 'Harry, what's the story?' from the early 70s. %0D Can't remember what it was for. May have been a NYC area only ad.

by Anonymousreply 6506/30/2010

My favorite used to be a Reunite commercial where a couple carrying a yellow balloon were wandering around the city and then stopped to have lunch and a glass of Reunite. All through the commercial the %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CReunite on ice, that%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s nice%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D jingle was playing, but it was done in a smooth jazz. At the end, the yellow balloon floats away%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%A6

by Anonymousreply 6606/30/2010

"Bayer maybe? When told his friend can't come out & play, the most adorable little boy ever says, "Does she hurt % have a temperature?" It looked like his little 4 year old heart was breaking."%0D %0D Oh r58, I so remember that one. The little boy was so cute and the way he said it just make you want to cry.

by Anonymousreply 6706/30/2010

R66 I remember those ads. I used to think Reunite seemed so elegant until I actually had some. Same with General Foods International Coffees.

by Anonymousreply 6806/30/2010

Don't cook tonight, call Chicken Delight!

It also seems like there was a chef boyardee commercial where some Italian mom is screaming for her son to come home for dinner so he can eat his crappy canned ravioli.

Anna Maria Alberghetti did a commercial for Good Seasons salad dressing - I just remember that because her name was distractingly long for someone still in diapers to comprehend.

GO see Cal, Go See Cal, Go see Cal.

earl scheib and his $99 car paint - such a deal!

by Anonymousreply 6907/01/2010

"An unforgettable line reading from an actress playing a woman sitting in front of a mirror spazzing out. "Why did I cut my hair? I look like a squirrel."

I saw the uncensored version of that commercial at The Ritz club (now Webster Hall), it showed her making out, topless, with another woman. I forgot her name. The Ritz used to show videos and TV ads while the DJ played records before and after the bands played.

It was hilarious, I wonder if she even knew this clip was out there!

by Anonymousreply 7007/01/2010

The "I'm a Pepper" commercials with Dancin' David Naughton.

by Anonymousreply 7107/01/2010

"I can't seem to forget you. Your Windsong stays on my mind."

by Anonymousreply 7207/01/2010

Woman: Mr Lee? How Do you get the shirts so clean?

Mr Lee: Ancient Chinese Secret!

Wife (behind curtain): My Husband, some hot shot! Here's his "Ancient Chinese Secret"- Calgon!

by Anonymousreply 7307/01/2010

"I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony..." for Coca-Cola.

by Anonymousreply 7407/01/2010

The Newlyweds while the wife (Alice Playten) decides her next recipe experiment.

by Anonymousreply 7507/01/2010

I found the 'squirrel haircut' TV ad, it's for Johnson & Johnson's Baby Powder.

It's here on this compilation. In the version I saw, the two women take off their towels and start kissing each other. Of course, it was an improve.

by Anonymousreply 7607/01/2010

A campy but not necessarily queer man dressed as a giant piece of fruit waddles in and calls out, "Hi kids, Big Fig here!" then does a few awkward dance moves while singing:%0D %0D Ooey, gooey, rich and chewy inside/ Golden flaky, tender cakey outside/ Wrap the inside in the outside/ Is it good? Darn tootin'!/ It's a Big Fig Newton . . . one more time, the Big . . . Fig . . . Newt-o-o-o-on!

by Anonymousreply 7707/01/2010

There was this cute commercial years ago with this cute teen guy on an airplane. He was fumbling with some music or equipment or something. There was this black lady sitting next to him lookin at him strangely and he just put the headphones on her ear and smiled.%0D %0D I can't remember what commercial that was or what product was being sold but I did like the add.

by Anonymousreply 7807/01/2010

I loved that I'm a pepper ad too.%0D %0D Does anyone remember the ads for Ouchless Band Aids?

by Anonymousreply 7907/01/2010

I still have nightmares over this fucking commercial from the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 8007/01/2010

r 65: That was "So, Jerry - Whassa story?"%0D "Dats the STORR-REE!" (and he'd lean back and show his big gut)%0D I have NO idea what the product was, though....

by Anonymousreply 8107/01/2010

I see the "missing ingredient" in Anacin was cocaine.

by Anonymousreply 8207/01/2010

"50 cents off the lemon????"

Dunkin Donuts commercial.

No one remembers but me.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2010

"It's too big 'a eat!"

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2010

I found it. It was *Winchell's* Donuts.

And it was 75 cents off.

by Anonymousreply 8507/01/2010

The Coronet comercial witg Rosemary Clooney - "Extra value is what you get,when you buy Coronet!."

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" It's Chiffon.

by Anonymousreply 8607/01/2010

Hi Guy

by Anonymousreply 8707/01/2010

It was a cigarette TV jingle. Forgot the product of course: "It's not how long you make it...It's make it long!"%0D %0D Taryton smokers would rather fight than switch (black eye)!

by Anonymousreply 8807/01/2010

Looking at OP's Anacin commercial makes me wonder if they used to put valium in Anacin.%0D %0D Others I remember from the 70s:%0D %0D Hamburger Helper Helps Her Make a Great Meal!%0D %0D I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget you're a man, 'cause I'm a WOMAN! Enjoli!%0D %0D A is for Apple, J is for Jacks, cinnamon toasted Apple Jacks!%0D %0D My friend was in the Baby Alive commercial and I was so jealous every time it came on. Baby Alive, soft and sweet, she can drink and she can eat. Then my friend's line was "I love you Baby Alive."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8907/01/2010

No longer politically correct but the one I remember most from my childhood:

"Ai-yi-yi-yi! Oh, I am the Frito Bandito"

by Anonymousreply 9007/01/2010

And I also used to run around singing "Oh I wish I was an Oscar Meyer weiner". This clip sings a little different but they must have changed to "wish I was" later on. I still like a good piece of quality meat :-)

by Anonymousreply 9107/01/2010

Billy's mom made liver too....%0D %0D The inimitable Toppie Smellie%0D %0D Pia Zadora Dubonnet commercials.%0D %0D Hey, Aldo!%0D %0D Martini and Rossi, Asti Spumante%0D %0D Fashion Plates, doo doo doo do...%0D %0D The Jordache look...%0D %0D Oooh, la la, Sassoon.%0D %0D Milk Plus 6, it's even got beer in it - but don't drink it, just shampoo.%0D %0D At McDonalds, we do it all for you....%0D %0D Remember when commercials didn't take themselves so seriously?

by Anonymousreply 9207/01/2010

The linked commercial (though re-edited with a new soundtrack) used to TERRIFY me as a child.%0D %0D It featured a woman being queezed out of a tube of Brylcream hair product, arms undulating like a succubus. Then you see her hands grip an unsuspecting man byt the shoulders from behind.%0D %0D I'm convinced this is what made me gay. That and my insatiable need to suck cock.

by Anonymousreply 9307/01/2010

From the 80s...Carvel

by Anonymousreply 9407/01/2010

Ancient Chinese Secret, huh?

by Anonymousreply 9507/01/2010

I drink Dr. Pepper and I'm proud!

by Anonymousreply 9607/01/2010

I'd like to buy the world a coke!

by Anonymousreply 9707/01/2010

"red juicy chunks"

by Anonymousreply 9807/01/2010 may have been politically incorrect, but I loved that song as a kid. I've never forgotten the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 9907/01/2010

Playtex Cross Your Heart Bra -- it lifts...and SEPARATES!

by Anonymousreply 10007/01/2010

The world's most racist commercial

by Anonymousreply 10107/01/2010

It'll hurt if I swallow.....

by Anonymousreply 10207/01/2010

Every Canadian who was a kid in the 1970s knows this jingle (also the very first bra commercial in North America to actually show a woman wearing a bra)

by Anonymousreply 10307/01/2010

Another Anacin commercial which verges on abuse :-)%0D %0D "Helen PLEASE! I just got home...DON'T RUSH ME!!!"%0D %0D Maybe the June Cleaver 1960's weren't such an idyllic time after all.

by Anonymousreply 10407/01/2010

"Buckle up" PSA for seat belts. "I don't wear them because they wrinkle my dress".

by Anonymousreply 10507/01/2010

Those commercials were filled with women who later became well known actresses: the late Mary Frann in the Thrill peach scented dish washing detergent, Audrey Landers in a BrightSide shampoo ad (I don't remember that brand at all), Susan Sarandon in a Yardley cologne ad, Brenda Vacarro in a Polaroid ad (she was probably acting at the time) and so many others.

by Anonymousreply 10607/01/2010

The "I Love New York" campaign, which repainted the scary city as a glamorous, safe, well lit place to visit.

Genius, lying genius

by Anonymousreply 10707/06/2010

A dog food commercial with a crazed dog chasing a miniature stagecoach across the kitchen floor into the cupboards, where it (the stage coach disappears)

Ghosts in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 10808/04/2010

I loved the Enjoli, Jean Nate and Charlie commericals:

by Anonymousreply 10908/04/2010

I remember a 35 year old commercial that starred Valerie Bertinelli for Corn King Bacon. She sits silently on the porch swing of a typically quaint white farm house surrounded by cornfields. Dozens upon dozens of cornstalks suddenly emerge from the porch and engulf her as she expresses a look of surprise and concern. It also came with a jingle that went "Corn King, Corn King, pure and crisp as a country morn" that may have been the intro.

by Anonymousreply 11008/04/2010

The commercial for a Norelco shaver that slides down a hill in the snow with an elf riding it. LOVE IT

by Anonymousreply 11108/05/2010

Remember the original Black Flag commercial with Mary Jo Catlett?

"Roaches! And I can't afford an exterminator!"

And, in my little elementary school aged, privileged, middle class brain, I thought, "What kind of freak can't afford an exterminator?"

by Anonymousreply 11208/05/2010

This one loses a lot, not having Dolly Parton's accent, but on her variety show with Faron Young, they sold laundry detergent called "Breeze" with little bonus packets of washcloths or towels in the boxes. I can still hear Dolly saying, on every show, while holding up the stupid box, "But you can't buy 'em. You can only get 'em from specially-marked boxes of Breeze."

A good Dolly story about Faron (and Elvis Presley):

"Parton wrote %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CI Will Always Love You%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D about her professional breakup with Wagoner, though considering how acrimonious the split became (he sued her for $20 million for breach of contract, and settled for $1 million) she easily could have followed it up with %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CI Will Always Hate You, Porter Wagoner, You Fucking Asshole.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D

"What Parton doesn%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t write about Wagoner says a lot more than what she does, although she does get in the occasional jab.When manager Sandy Gallin mentioned on Dolly%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s ill-fated variety show that it%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s amazing how Kermit The Frog can sing with a hand up his ass, [b]Dolly quips that that%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s nothing; she did the same thing for seven years during her stint on The Porter Wagoner Show.[/b]

"According to show-biz lore, Elvis Presley wanted to cover %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CI Will Always Love You,%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D but Parton flinched at giving him and Colonel Tom Parker half of the song%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99s publishing rights, as was customary for anyone who wanted Presley to sing one of their songs. Considering the fucking fortune she made off the Bodyguard soundtrack, that was a wise decision. They don%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%99t call Parton the %C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9CIron Butterfly%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D for nothing."

by Anonymousreply 11308/05/2010

A little kid in a high chair. A man comes by and smells his porridge takes it and starts to eat it. The kid yells "I WANT MY MAYPO"%0D %0D Charlie says "Love my Good n Plenty, Really rings the bell...."%0D %0D Bernadette Peters in a Playtex bra commercial in the mid 60's with another actress playing her jewish mother just before an audition

by Anonymousreply 11408/05/2010

"The old "MOTHER, PLEASE. I'd rather DO IT MYSELF" Anacin commercial."

That's what I came on to post; I didn't remember the product though. I see it made an impression on many people here.

by Anonymousreply 11508/05/2010

And the Bayer aspirin one noted above. We always thought the little boy was saying "Does it hurt and have a temperature?"

by Anonymousreply 11608/05/2010

Epilady, hair removal/torture device.

"But doesn't it *hurt*?"

"No pain, no gain, right?"

This is a 1990s version of the TV ad, but the product has been around longer.

by Anonymousreply 11710/05/2010

I'll borrow my Mom's earrings, her scarf, but my mother's tampons

by Anonymousreply 11810/05/2010

by Anonymousreply 11910/05/2010

Brilliant Starburst parody of Lionel Ritchie's creepy video "Hello", which also plays in the background.

by Anonymousreply 12010/05/2010

How about ajax is so powerful it lifts you right out of the kitchen

by Anonymousreply 12105/21/2012

"The commercial for a Norelco shaver that slides down a hill in the snow with an elf riding it. LOVE IT"

That was SANTA riding on the shaver. That commercial ran for years, they just updated the featured shavers each year.

My proto-gay self thought that the play on words - NOELCO - was very clever.

by Anonymousreply 12205/21/2012

"Winston tastes good like a cigarette should", which then morphed into "AS a cigarette should", which became "what do you want? good grammar or good taste?"

by Anonymousreply 12305/21/2012

The animated Alka-Seltzer commercial circa 1966, where a man is being chastized by his talking stomach (voiced by Gene Wilder) for having eaten a pepperoni pizza.

by Anonymousreply 12405/21/2012

"Calgon, take me away!!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 12505/21/2012

I was really little, but I'd jump around and sing it every time it came on.

by Anonymousreply 12605/21/2012

Oscar Mayer had another one too. My bologna has a first name, it's O. S. C. A. R. My bologna has a second name it's M. A. Y. E. R. I love to eat it every day and if you ask me why I'll say, that Oscar Mayer has a way with B.O. L.O.G.N.A.

by Anonymousreply 12705/21/2012

A very young John Travolta with those other dudes in the shower-wasn't it one of those "I'm stuck on Band-Aids" commercials. In light of recent revelations it's retroactively creepy.

by Anonymousreply 12805/21/2012

If it says Libbys Libbys Libbys on the label label label you will like it like it like it on your table table table.

by Anonymousreply 12905/21/2012

"Shake-shake-shake A-Puddin'"

"Mystery Date. Are you ready for your Mystery Date"

Cracker Jack commercials with Jack Gilford

Edie Adams MURIEL CIGAR commercials("Why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometimes")

Way too many cigarette ads to mention

The HAMMS Bear ("From the land of sky blue waters")

by Anonymousreply 13005/21/2012

Oil of Olay, twice a day...

by Anonymousreply 13105/21/2012

does anyone remember a frozen mini-pizza-like product called "Piccadilly Circles"? The commercial featured Dear Abby, with her sibilant "S" all over the place....used to have me rolling on the floor.

by Anonymousreply 13205/21/2012

Anybody who grew up in New Orleans in the 60s remembers this Jax Beer ad with Mike Nichols and Elaine May:

by Anonymousreply 13305/21/2012

"Coffeemate, tastes great..... Coffeemate, makes your cup of coffee taste, Coffeemate makes your cup of coffee taste great!"

I was the only 5 year old who wanted to drink coffee because of that stupid jingle.

by Anonymousreply 13405/21/2012

Marvel the Mustang!

by Anonymousreply 13505/21/2012

"It's Palmolive, you're soaking in it."----Madge

The Charlie perfume commercials.

"'Cause I'm woman...Enjolie!"

The Budweiser Clydesdale Christmas commercials.

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"---some margarine

by Anonymousreply 13605/21/2012

Wash your hands, Roger!

by Anonymousreply 13705/21/2012

Lite Brite*

by Anonymousreply 13805/21/2012

I don't want to grow up; I'm a Toys 'r us Kid

Salon Selectives shampoo

The old toothpaste commercial in the 80's, I think it was called Pearl brand or something...the actress runs her tongue seductively over her teeth purring, "mmmmm, it's a GREAT feeling!" I always got excited.

by Anonymousreply 13905/21/2012

Doxidan, gentle Doxidan

When nature needs a helping hand

Get overnight relief with Doxidan

by Anonymousreply 14005/21/2012

Nancy Sinatra singing about the virtues of Royal Crown Cola.

Also, a 2 1/2 minute extravangza where Ann-Margret promoted Canada Dry. If you want to persuade me, don't champagne or lemonade me!

by Anonymousreply 14105/21/2012

To my long-term terror, and in honor of the Barber of Cranbrook, mean Mitt Romney:

'Hey kid, how about a Hawaiian Punch?'

by Anonymousreply 14205/21/2012

I remember "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" the most.

by Anonymousreply 14305/21/2012

Don't know if anybody mentioned this one or not, but the music in this perfume commercial haunted me as a kid:

by Anonymousreply 14405/21/2012

Nivea, Nivea, Nivea!

From your fingers to your toes,

You've got just one set of permanent clothes,

And with a little daily care,

(Daily care)

It will last for years of wear,

(Years of wear!)

by Anonymousreply 14505/22/2012

The Hamm's bear

by Anonymousreply 14605/22/2012

This Jell-O "Make some fun" commercial, not only because the jingle itself is so memorable but because so is the grandfather's unhappy facial expression when he hears his adult daughter say she hasn't made dessert.

by Anonymousreply 14705/22/2012

Hello...I'm Rula Lenska.

by Anonymousreply 14805/22/2012

Lithium. It's the mood-stabilizer recommended by doctors!

by Anonymousreply 14905/22/2012

I remember lots of stomach commercials.

I remember the drip, drip, drip of excess stomach acid. I thought there was an actual faucet in my stomach.

I remember Pepto Bismol coating the stomach

I remember medication putting out fires in a stomach

I remember medication absorbing all the bubbles in a stomach

I remember a man and his stomach arguing in a therapist's office

by Anonymousreply 15005/22/2012

"Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?"

"But of course."

by Anonymousreply 15105/22/2012

[quote] There was a great 1960's Christmas greetings commercial for CBS where little cartoon bird would chirp a song on a little cartoon tree while the show drifted. It was very sweet.

This one?

The animation was done by the guy who did the Alka seltzer talking stomach commercial.

by Anonymousreply 15205/22/2012

when you think you're ready

Go down to Crazy Eddie

The man who's got most everything in stereo sound

And so the story's told

Acrost the whole wide woy-old

Crazy Eddie will not evah be unduh-sold

by Anonymousreply 15405/22/2012

Phillip Morris Cigarettes. Midget hotel page walking through a swanky hotel lobby calling out: "Call for Phillip Morris."

by Anonymousreply 15505/22/2012

Doris Day singing "See the USA in your Chevrolet, American is waiting for you to call..." I think the year was 1959. Also, The commercial for Gillette Razors on the Friday Night Fights. The jingle: "Look sharp and feel sharp too, The razor that's made for you....,etc."

by Anonymousreply 15605/22/2012

[quote]Doris Day singing "See the USA in your Chevrolet, American is waiting for you to call..." I think the year was 1959.

I think the singer was Dinah Shore!

by Anonymousreply 15705/22/2012

"Pop pop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is." Alka Seltzer

"Crazy rabbit, Trix are for kids."

"Lucky Charms are magically delicious."

"You can't drink it slow if it's Quik don't you know."

I was born in 1960 and my father, now 80, still tells the story of me at about 3 years old, the precocious brat that I was, being scared by one of those overly dramatic commercials about "the misery of psoriasis." Apparently I had a bit of dry skin on my arm or something and told my dad in my worried kid voice that I have "the misery of psoriasis." I read fluently by age 4, but no, I didn't become a doctor. I did grow up to work in advertising though -- and 'm still in it.

by Anonymousreply 15805/22/2012

I'm one little pimple as lonely as can be Say brother pimple, I'll keep you company Hey fellow pimple, can three make a crowd? All together pimples sing real loud.

by Anonymousreply 15905/22/2012

This is what made me gay ...

The Budding Beauty Vanity -- by Marx!

by Anonymousreply 16005/22/2012

R158, I think it was "the *heartbreak* of psoriasis" in the old Tegrin commercials.

by Anonymousreply 16105/22/2012

People actually waste brain space remembering commercials?

I don't buy anything I'm forced to watch a commercial for.

by Anonymousreply 16505/22/2012

Thanks R161.

by Anonymousreply 16605/22/2012

[quote]does anyone remember a frozen mini-pizza-like product called "Piccadilly Circles"?

by Anonymousreply 16705/22/2012

Every day in every way, you're OK with US!

by Anonymousreply 16805/22/2012

Off-peak returns can save up to four bob in the pound.

by Anonymousreply 16905/22/2012

Anybody remember the gondola in the toilet bowl or was that an urban legend? Seems like Jerry Della Femina mentioned it in his book, but I have never been able to find it.

by Anonymousreply 17005/22/2012

I remember wanting one of these so much!

by Anonymousreply 17105/22/2012

Hey, Jerry, what's the story?

by Anonymousreply 17205/22/2012

Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 17405/22/2012

A public safety film from the UK in the 1970s.

I've seen big budget horror films less scary than this one:

by Anonymousreply 17505/22/2012

Last year I was sitting at an outdoor restaurant with the bf and a guy came over and sat down next to us (one table separated by a divider in the middle). He kept staring and I found it uncomfortable. It seemed obvious he wanted to chat. But I just wanted to eat my burger and go. Finally, he made a comment and I looked directly at him, and responded. Turns out it was the Underwood Deviled Ham kid from the 60s. "Are you famous?" I asked. "Used to be," he said. Truth is, I felt a little sad for him. Nice guy. Has a bar on the Lower East Side now.

by Anonymousreply 17605/22/2012

This one's for 163/4. Because we know you are. Just. Like. Us.

by Anonymousreply 17705/22/2012

Funny Face is fun Funny Face for everyone

Especially the politically incorrect Chinese Cherry and Injun Orange.

by Anonymousreply 17805/22/2012

Wow R178, I remember Funny Face, but don't recall ever seeing commercials for it.

by Anonymousreply 17905/22/2012

Plop, plop; fizz, fizz; oh, what a relief it is

Where's the beef?

That's-a some spicy meatball!

It's not NICE to fool Mother Nature!

Hsve it your way

You deserve a break today

I can bring home the bacon Fry it up in a pan And never never never let you forget You're a man! 'Cause I'm a WOMAN (Enjoli)

by Anonymousreply 18005/22/2012

Hermione Gingold's ad for Coco Goya Colada was surreal. The spot was cheap as hell looking and I really dont understand the thinking about using some old English music hall star to promote a product that was for Latinos. But my near obsession with the ad should have been my parents first clue that their little boy was a going to be a puff. I have not seen this ad in, damn, probably over 30 years, but I remember the lyrics as well today as I did then

I always hob nobba with society snobba

there's one thing they'll never adopt.

Coco Goya Colada is the cream of Colada

It's the cream of the cream of coconut

Nothing better

The cream of the cream of coconut

They're adopted.

by Anonymousreply 18105/22/2012

6:25, all you can eat, eggfooyong, pickled herring, who could decide? So I ate EVERYTHING! Not a little bit of everything, but EVERYTHING! They had to wheel me out! I took two Alka Seltzer.

by Anonymousreply 18201/08/2013

R14 - On one of the sides was the couple Sid and Mona. We names our fish after them.

by Anonymousreply 18301/08/2013

Right Guard -- the medicine cabinet opens and, "Hey guy!"

by Anonymousreply 18401/08/2013

I couldn't have been more than 7 when this ad ran for maybe a month, perhaps less. I never forgot and and was thrilled to see the video is archived. Does anyone who lived in the NYC area in 1986 remember it?

by Anonymousreply 18501/08/2013

Yummy, yummy, in the tummy

It's beefaroni

Beefaroni! Beefaghetti!

They're both so gooooooooooood!

(Can't find actual commercial so link below just references them)

by Anonymousreply 18601/08/2013

The Ritz Thrift Shop ad. Anyone who lived in the NY market knows this ad. They ran if for thirty years! For real, I think eventually it got landmark status.

by Anonymousreply 18701/08/2013

"Open the door for YOUR ... Mystery Date!"

The girls would squeal in horror over the scruffy dud, while I wanted to be his ... friend.

I recall the Ritz Thrift Shop ad after seeing the clip, but hadn't ever thought about it.

by Anonymousreply 18801/08/2013

I think this is the perhaps the most brilliant jingle (and campaign) ever created.

by Anonymousreply 18901/08/2013

Mikey does not "eat everything." He "hates everything." That is why his surprised brother shouts "He likes it! Hey Mikey!"

by Anonymousreply 19001/08/2013

Juicy Fruit, the taste is taste is taste is gonna mo-ove ya!

by Anonymousreply 19101/08/2013

This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?

Which I would inevitably and consistently reply, "yes, I have a question. Where can I find some drugs?"

Even my parents thought it was funny when I would say that.

Little did they know...

by Anonymousreply 19201/08/2013

I remember watching tv with my friend one Saturday morning and the first Underoos commercial came on. Kids dancing around in their underwear and singing.

We both almost pissed ourselves from laughing.

by Anonymousreply 19301/09/2013

Poor Charlie, the suicidal tuna.

"Sorry Charlie, Starkist doesn't want tunas with good taste, we want tunas that taste good."

by Anonymousreply 19401/09/2013

I nearly reposted R17.

I did buy a Mini Cooper because of them so Fuck You, Mom!

by Anonymousreply 19501/09/2013

[quote[This Anacin commerical from the mid-1960s used to scare me as a kid

Did you grow up to be retarded?

Oh wait you paid $18 to post that. So I answered my own question.

by Anonymousreply 19601/09/2013

[quote]Did you grow up to be retarded?

This coming from the loser who cant even properly punctuate a sentience or format a block quote.

by Anonymousreply 19701/09/2013

I think I'll share...truly ooly ooly ooo

Going waaaay back, This is a restricted neighborhood? Well, we aren't interested in buying here.

The crying Indian and the polluted river

Can Can, can you do the can-can... from the Shop-Rite commercials.

I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony....

The Carpenters singing for the bank, it became a hit I think it was weve only just begun

by Anonymousreply 19801/09/2013

Stiller and Meara and the little blue nun ads

by Anonymousreply 19901/09/2013

[quote]The Carpenters singing for the bank, it became a hit I think it was weve only just begun

No -- it was written by Roger Nichols (music) and Paul Williams (lyrics), thelatter who sang the jingle for Crocker Bank (a way cool bank long gone from LA.)

by Anonymousreply 20001/09/2013

Bon JOur jeans are sexy....punk rock 80s.

I go through the dishwasher spotting and streaking glasses and dishes.

Palmolive. You're soaking in it now.

by Anonymousreply 20101/09/2013

"Who's Jimmy?"

(see if anyone gets this)

by Anonymousreply 20201/09/2013

Getawasherdryer, getastereoortelevsionset, getavcr, and GET IT NOW!!!

Prices so low we're practically GIVING it all away!

by Anonymousreply 20301/09/2013

Crisco'll do you proud ever time!

by Anonymousreply 20401/09/2013

PSA: "If you have schizophrenia, you are not alone!"

We answer to a higher authority.

"Wow! Thanks, Mean Joe!" (said with the love of a true fan)

Four out of five dentists surveyed recommend sugarless gum for their patients who chew gum (the fifth has retired to the Caymans)

"Tonight...tonight is kind of special, the beer we'll pour, must say something more, somehow..."

"...but an incredible simulation!"

"Dick get the deal in Dallas..."

"That'll be $22,000...."

"I also love the easy-opening can."

"You deserve a break today."

by Anonymousreply 20501/09/2013

When it says Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label, you will like it like it like it on your table table table...

by Anonymousreply 20601/09/2013

For some reason I remember the Plymouth Duster commercials featuring "Mean Mary Jean".

I also remember all the Zest, LifeBuoy, and other bath soap commercials, but I know the reason that I remember them.

by Anonymousreply 20701/09/2013

"Manly," R207?

by Anonymousreply 20801/09/2013

The Irish Spring Commercial -- with all the "Irish" people.

Later I learned that Roma Downey tried out for the spot but was told she didn't sound Irish enough.

She was the only Irish actor there.

by Anonymousreply 20901/09/2013

No more ring around the collar.

by Anonymousreply 21001/09/2013

I remember an old Special K commercial with a father struggling to close a suitcase and the kid says, "Why don't you get Mom to sit on it?" and the two of them burst out laughing not knowing she heard the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 21101/09/2013

The Rice Crispies opera one. "I LOOOOVE the Rice Crispeeees!"

It's got that character actor who is making Woody Allen write bad jokes in Annie Hall.

by Anonymousreply 21201/09/2013

This Anti-Smoking commercial:

by Anonymousreply 21301/09/2013

I'm really glad they made the Children's Aid Society

by Anonymousreply 21401/09/2013

When I was a little kid, the Johnny Smoke anti-smoking commercial scared me to death.

by Anonymousreply 21501/09/2013

Light Brite. Making things with light.

by Anonymousreply 21601/09/2013

Charlie perfume. I still can't believe the line from one of the commercials- "Can I smell your Charlie?"

by Anonymousreply 21701/09/2013

rub a dub dolly.

by Anonymousreply 21801/09/2013

"These have always brought me LUCK!"

by Anonymousreply 21901/09/2013

"Here's the tricky part!"

by Anonymousreply 22101/09/2013

I remember a Cracker Jack commercial that went kind of like this:

At night, a kid on a bicycle (a delivery boy, I guess) comes up to dark, spooky house. I think a light comes on in the house (I'm not sure about that). Looking scared, he leaves a box of Cracker Jack at the door or gate, I don't remember. From the house you hear heavy, plodding steps seemingly coming downstairs, and heavy breathing. The kid gets on his bike and hightails it out of there. The door or gate opens and a hand comes out, a kind of hairy male hand. The hand takes the box of Cracker Jack inside; for one moment there is silence, heavy breathing. Then the hand puts the box back outside; the box is now empty and mangled. The heavy breathing resumes, the light goes out (I think) and the plodding, heavy steps start back upstairs.

I think this commercial was shown around Halloween. I remember it to this day.

by Anonymousreply 22201/09/2013

I always felt bad for the hosts on television who had to do dog food commercials live on the air. I think they starved those dogs.

by Anonymousreply 22301/09/2013

Does anyone remember the Me and My RC commercials, I'm looking for girl on motorcycle lyric....was really cool commercials can't find it on utube. Does anyone have the link?

by Anonymousreply 22401/13/2013

I remember that commercial about RC. She's riding and at the end she sings me and my RC eeeeeeeeee!!!

by Anonymousreply 22501/13/2013

"I'd like to teach the world to perfect harmoneeeeee......."

by Anonymousreply 22601/13/2013

I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never let you forget you're a man cus I am woman....enjolie.

Pearl white commercial.

The original shake n bake commercial with the little girl with the shoulder length hair with a Kentuckian accent. I remember because I was that age and looked just like her and my 6 siblings, of whom I was the youngest, teased me constantly.

by Anonymousreply 22701/20/2014

Hey, you got peanut butter on my chocolate.

No, you got chocolate on my peanut butter.

by Anonymousreply 22801/20/2014

This anti-smoking commercial.

by Anonymousreply 22901/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!