Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Wire

I doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd like but everyone keeps saying it is one of the best things ever on tv.

No good tv now and I'm thinking of netflixing it. Should I?

PLEASE don't post spoilers about it just to be a jerk. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2013

Yes, it's the best television program ever. See it.

by Anonymousreply 106/26/2010

No, *the* best television ever made.

Now, as much as you are tempted, do not return to this thread. There were 3 spoilers posted within a few days the last time the subject came up.

Also, do not go to IMDB to "check on" any actors. More spoilers there. No warnings.

Enjoy the series.

by Anonymousreply 206/26/2010

Yes yes yes. It should be required viewing for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 306/26/2010

Its not the best series ever. One of them, but not the best. What lets it down is its relaince on plot driven (albeit excellent plot driven) as opposed to character driven drama... and not one single interesting female character.

Oh and, the most interesting, beloved and well written character on that show happens to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 406/26/2010

It is jaw-droppingly complex and intricate and top to bottom the acting and narrative flow is fantastic -- so good that it very much feels like a documentary at times.

No praise is too high for it. It really is the best television show ever made in American history.

by Anonymousreply 506/26/2010

How can you say Snoop and Kima were not interesting??

by Anonymousreply 606/26/2010

And a social commentary that should not be missed.

by Anonymousreply 706/26/2010

Snoop and Kima were NOT valid women characters.

They were 1 dimensional alpha males trapped in female bodies, although with Snoop, it took a bit longer to cotton on.

by Anonymousreply 806/26/2010

R4, I would argue that it's not character-driven. Season 2 and Season 4, especially, and their milieus would counter that assertion.

The best thing about show is that it isn't dominated by a few characters and their neuroses: it's a complex tapestry and you get to see the interconnectedness of inner city American life and the players within it, enough so that you get a sense of who these people are but not so much that any one character dominates story. It's a fine balance.

I also disagree with your point about female characters (although they are outnumbered): Kima, Rhonda, Snoop, Beadie, and Brianna are all well-drawn, vital female characters.

by Anonymousreply 906/26/2010

OP - if you want well rounded characters with humour, ambiguity and three dimensions, stick to Six Feet Under or Sopranos. If you want an exhilirating epic saga with so many interesting plots and subplots all interwoven into the fabric of an entire city, The Wire is your man. You won't even notice that the characters aren't even that interesting - it's that good.

by Anonymousreply 1006/26/2010

Says you.

by Anonymousreply 1106/26/2010

Oh I forgot Brianna and Rhonda. Thank you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1206/26/2010

Actually, OP, you can get both with The Wire.

by Anonymousreply 1306/26/2010

R11 was directed at R8.

by Anonymousreply 1406/26/2010

Booooring show. Great acting, but slow as molasses on a winter day.

by Anonymousreply 1506/26/2010

The gaping flaw of Seasons 4 and 5 are the lack of subtitles for Snoop's scenes. Otherwise, great. And that weird sound she makes... creep!

by Anonymousreply 1606/26/2010

Snoop was a lethal little bitch! Unreal performance:

by Anonymousreply 1706/26/2010

I had to force myself to watch the first 6 episodes or so before I understood why it is considered one of the best television shows ever made. Anyone else have that experience or did you love it from the start? I thought the writing and acting in the first half of season one were kind of awful. Something happened after they fully introduced the character of Omar that it made it truly compelling television.

by Anonymousreply 1806/26/2010

Great series. My favorite ever behind HBO's other program OZ. Also, it featured some of the best LGB characters I've ever seen portrayed on TV, who weren't just there for the sake of being "the gay character," but had whole other sets of complexities to them.

And yes, the most popular character on the show is gay. Amazing.

by Anonymousreply 1906/26/2010

Yeah, like r16 says, you have to force yourself not to give up on it for the first 5-7 episodes.

HOwever, I don't think it's so much because they're badly written and acted... it's because the show doesn't build groundwork for what you're seeing in the way other television shows do.

You're dropped right into this world in Baltimore with no explanations of who people are or what's going on. You have to piece it all together by yourself. This is what makes it so real and so good.

And it's okay to turn on the captions, OP. That will really help you if you're having trouble with the accents/slang.

by Anonymousreply 2006/26/2010

Indeed.

by Anonymousreply 2106/26/2010

R20 says it beautifully and perfectly. Its big picture television. By the end of the season, the whole story makes perfect sense. The writers ask you to trust them and go on the ride. They don't spoonfeed you every plot point, they expect you to be smart enough to get it all on your own.

by Anonymousreply 2206/26/2010

I was hooked by the second episode.

by Anonymousreply 2306/26/2010

Baltimore is really horrible. The show isn't much different to the town

by Anonymousreply 2511/16/2012

R20 really did nail it.

I think U.S. TV viewers are conditioned to assume cop dramas are dumbed-down enough that you can watch them while you eat, or you can miss 10 minutes and still be OK.

In order to get anything out of it, you need to actually pay attention to the plot of The Wire, and to watch the series in order. I think a lot of the people who give up on it think they're just getting a grittier version of CSI or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 2711/16/2012

I am completely in the minority, OP, but I thought it was the most amateurish acting AND writing that I had seen from such a lauded series.

I could not - and cannot - understand what people saw and heard.

Hope you enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2811/16/2012

[quote]Its big picture television. By the end of the season, the whole story makes perfect sense. The writers ask you to trust them and go on the ride. They don't spoonfeed you every plot point, they expect you to be smart enough to get it all on your own.

That's true.

If "The Sopranos" was a Shakespearean tragedy, "The Wire" is a huge Dickens tale -- a sprawling epic and social commentary with dozens if not hundreds of characters.

by Anonymousreply 2911/16/2012

What the fuck are you on about R26

by Anonymousreply 3011/16/2012

Given that OP posted 2 years ago, he's probably seen it by now.

by Anonymousreply 3111/16/2012

After the Genie thread, I've started F&F-ing this "As Always ; M" cunt and her verbal diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 3211/16/2012

Omar was great.

by Anonymousreply 3311/16/2012

Thanks for another chance to F&F you, R34!

It's adorable if you think I read any of that.

No one likes you. Go away.

On a different note - I've also tried getting into this show, but could never get past the first couple of episodes. I've always really wanted to be able to appreciate it though since I know so many people who have raved about its brilliance. Based on this thread, I think I'll give it another shot.

by Anonymousreply 3511/16/2012

Like with PPSM, ignoring you is probably the best option from now on.

by Anonymousreply 3711/16/2012

For me, MAD MEN is #1, THE SHIELD is #2, but THE WIRE is #3.....I also loved the much-adored THE SOPRANOS, but I found the first three far more satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 3811/16/2012

I've seen them all and The Wire is #1!

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012

What R39 said.

by Anonymousreply 4111/17/2012

Baltimore is beautiful by the way.

I'm sure you get the flavor of R25.

by Anonymousreply 4211/17/2012

OP--I think this thread has made it quite clear that if you're a lunatic, you're probably going to hate "The Wire."

by Anonymousreply 4411/20/2012

It was slow. But Omar is one of the best characters ever written for television.

by Anonymousreply 4511/21/2012

That was me r22! Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 4611/21/2012

I love seeing Robert Wisdom (Bunny Colvin) running for mayor on Nashville. Is Nashville ready for its own Hamsterdam?

by Anonymousreply 4711/21/2012

Omar = Chalky White

by Anonymousreply 4903/23/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 5004/01/2013

I started watching the show with Season 3 and was hooked immediately. Then I bought the whole 5 seasons and boy, that pilot sure was boring! I sticked because I knew it would be worth it, and it very quickly was.

by Anonymousreply 5104/02/2013

Omar sings!

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2013

Funny! Thanks, R52.

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.