Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lainey Gossip

Used to love her, and she had really well written Blind Items. Lately it is a lot of advertising, and posts written by her husband and someone else.

Plus, she seems to be schilling for her favorites, and inning Bradley Cooper. What happened? Too much success?

I will say at least she reads, and does have good taste is fashion.

Miss the old Lainey.

by Anonymousreply 5012/17/2014

So I guess no one cares about Lainey?

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2010

Never liked her that much - you needed a scorecard to keep up with all her headlines and in-the-know jokes.

She's always been a shill for whoever she's enamored of at that moment. Bitchy without being funny most times.

There used to be another site, hollywood offender, that I really liked, but they fired their head writer during a regime change and it's more of the same dreck you can get anywhere now.

I really miss good old fashioned gossip.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2010

[quote]schilling for her favorites

Spicy stuff?

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2010

her gossip never amounted to much but I liked it when she wrote about her mother.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2010

[quote]She's always been a shill for whoever she's enamored of at that moment. Bitchy without being funny most times.

Oh, too true.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2010

This thread is useless without Lainie Kazan.

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2010

I like her blog.

Her shilling and partisanship is part of the appeal. She's happy to abandon her crushes, though, for very subjective reasons.

She's proudly fickle, and it's fun.

Lainey's actually quite intelligent, and you can sense that reading between the lines.

And yes, she does have good taste.

She also reveres Cate Blanchett and Naomi Watts, dislikes Nicole K, and hates Tommy Cruise, so she's alright in my book.

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2010

[quote]She also reveres Cate Blanchett and Naomi Watts, Of course she does. That's largely their fanbase. Uppity, tasteless hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2010

Yes, and the period when she coined the term GMD is when her blog was the best. It was before the Oprah couch jumping, and she was one of the first to call Tom Cruise out, now her harping on him is tired and irrelevant.

The whole blog is tired. She needs a new schtick and the "Italian Queen" sure isn't it.

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2010

"now her harping on him is tired and irrelevant."

it is never irrelevant, as long as he's allowed to star in movies.

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2010

I love Lainey. She has a very female bitchy sense of humour and she calls a spade a spade and a closet case likewise.

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2010

[quote]Plus, she seems to be schilling for her favorites, and inning Bradley Cooper.

ANOTHER sports thread?

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2010

OP, I'd like to add that Lainey is always going on about how "gossip is a buffet" and that you pick which story you choose to believe.

So I'd disagree that she's "inning" Bradley Cooper t in that sense, she' just reporting the gossip that she has heard. I'd give her the benefit of the doubt; she did after all call out Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2010

*in, she's

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2010

She takes Tom Cruise to task whenever she can and that's fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2010

Canadian gossip columnist is an oxymoron, At least Perez, Michael K, etc are at ground zero.

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2010

Gawd.

Three years have passed since this thread began and Lainey Gossip is 3 years worse.

She has expanded the circle of celebs she is protecting. The site still does not have a community component. In 2013. Not her fault, but there is no actual gossip anywhere anymore. Celeb PR has co-opted every major gossip blog that had cred, putting them all on payroll.

Yeah we need the money out of politics. But we also need the money out of gossip, people!

by Anonymousreply 1805/17/2013

Lamey never was a real gossip bitch. She's always been annoying as hell.

by Anonymousreply 1905/17/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2005/17/2013

I was a member of one of fan groups on facebook with people who work or attend events with her, or just fans. Anyway I left a message about Leo being down with the dick and all this posting she does about him with all these diff gurls was a bit off. Not even rude or bitchy... More like Leo aint gonna get married cuz he like da dick! I was booted out the group... bye bye!

by Anonymousreply 2105/17/2013

I've heard a lot of people been kicked out of the Lainey Lurv FB group. It's not run by her but some of her devoted fans and they don't want real gossip, especially not gay gossip. They're fantasizing fan girls. Bunch of morons.

by Anonymousreply 2205/17/2013

She makes a lot of money from PR people and agents who's clients she likes.

by Anonymousreply 2305/17/2013

I know people here think she ins people, but I don't buy that. Her blinds have also been spot on lately. However, her column overall sucks ever since it went more mainstream. There is either guest writers or just regurgitated articles now. I preferred the column better when she worked for the non profit. It's odd because her gossip was better then, you'd think she'd have better sources now and more insider info. Ted C. also didn't seem to have any insider scoop towards the end, except maybe that Twilight crap.

by Anonymousreply 2405/17/2013

Lainey is pretty cool.

She is not about outing people but has done lots of straight up talk about not so straight guys. I like that she has celeb biases and they are based on more than a hunch.

Long before the Reese W. arrest she said many times that she is not such a nice woman.

I know her, don`t love her, but she knows that.

Lainey likes Gwyneth and that makes her a target on DL. But she likes her excess and stupidity and her style. That is kind of who Paltrow is.

But as R7 said, Lainey is refreshingly fickle and that is kind of how we all are about pop culture. Nasty way to make a living, but she is not dumb.

Lainey no doubt covers for some celebs, more access means less dirt. But she is not a nice chick. She may seem to keep her nasty comments to fashion these days, but there are truffles in that dirt. I am kind of against her biz.

There is no such thing as a `breaking` celebrity story anymore, so she can only comment and add flavour and style and utilize the opportunity to share what she already knew. She does ok with that. I think she is fearless at times, AND has her favourites. She didn`t used to work from fear of access. I think it maybe changing.

In life, she is not nice, ever. Even when she thinks she is friendly, she is cold, cold. I am not a friend, but have met her many times.

She might be the next big thing, or what she started out as......

by Anonymousreply 2505/17/2013

Indeed r20

If datalounge bitches keep chasing away possible sources, the only place left will be Lainey.

Datalounge has nobody but itself to blame if that happens. We'll have to amuse ourselves with endless threads about vaginas.

by Anonymousreply 2605/17/2013

So is George Clooney's PR team on of Lainey's financiers?

by Anonymousreply 2705/17/2013

r27 not sure about Clooney. If the blinds are believed on him he's bisexual and likes to get rough, kinky.

IMO the most obvious celebs she "protects" are Gyllenhaal and Cavill. Both are obviously gay and she not only looks the other way when it comes to their straight PR hookups, she actively promotes them. In the case of Jake Gyllenhaal she clearly has an inside source at his camp because she has broken exclusives on his "dating" a number of times the past few years. Is it an exchange of money or an exchange of favors? I tend to think it is both, $$ and certainly favors. "You protect my client by steadfastly insisting that he is not gay, and I will give you a steady stream of exclusive gossip on other celebs under the table." That's how this shit works, non? ;) Think about it. Whenever a conversation comes up about whether or not Jake G. is gay on gossip sites, even here, it's always "but Lainey says he is straight, and I trust her." Girl has some power. And mission accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 2805/17/2013

R28, So if Clooney has so much power and clout in Hollywood, then why does he allow Lainey to claim that he's bi and into bizarre sex? Doesn't he know the fan gurls might read her gossip?

by Anonymousreply 2905/18/2013

Here's a little something I am lifting off another forum about some gossip Lainey just dropped at one of her smut soirees:

"there are a few things here - (see link)

will smith + his trainer kate moss's baby daddy = jude law (i think that's what she's saying) nanny diaries blind is about reese george c is into men

the only really new thing there, to me, was about kate moss. i dunno why, but i guess the attendees of the smut soirees are 'sworn to secrecy'."

by Anonymousreply 3006/20/2013

Another confirmation that Clooney isn't straight.

That Reese is a bitch.

Jude Law, oh my. How many children is that?

by Anonymousreply 3106/20/2013

everything R25 and R28 said.

Lainey and her blog have grown and changed; her blinds, which even up to a year or two ago were fairly dishy, have become fewer and less juicy. This may be due to her newly rising profile: Macleans did just did a profile on her and she's been tapped to co-host a new View-like daytime show on Canadian tv this fall.

As stated more access = less dirt. It may be inevitable that she succumb to this although I'd like to think she'll remember her roots and keep it real as long as possible. She's also taken on a lot of corporate sponsorship lately.

I always respected that her blinds were rare (she usually posts about one per month) but well-sourced; quality over quantity which is unusual but needed in that area. Many of them have been spot on; she broke the Poehler-Arnett split and Jen Garner's and Uma T's recent pregnancies days before publicly announced.

by Anonymousreply 3206/20/2013

R32 I agree with all you say but want to point something out. Those recent blinds you cited as being correct and proven to be so a few days later... That isn't even blind item material. In fact, she was taking exclusive info that had been "sold" to another publication (in the case of The Pohler divorce for example) and running it as a blind knowing full well the story would be subsequently released days later and it would then give her cred for being oh so insidery. That's just ego. I like Lainey enough, but that's mega transparent.

Blinds are for closet cases, drugs (not marijuana -someone should let her know pot isn't worthy of a blind either), cheating, casting couches , diva behavior and the like.

Her recent one about Reese and the nanny was good, but just proved another point. That intel was old. She waited to write that blind until right after Reese was arrested. Kick her when she's down, when everyone is kicking her, when it is SAFE to do so.

by Anonymousreply 3306/21/2013

I think she just doesn't enjoy writing about anyone except for Paltrow these days and everything has gone stale. She is smarter than your average gossip blogger but she is still a dilettante and a wanna-be expert on culture beyond gossip. Did anyone watch her Ted Talk? She was completely out of her depth. It was dare I say it pure Rossum. The writers she lets contribute are horrid-most especially the film person who writes like a 15-yr old with the equivalent taste level.

by Anonymousreply 3406/21/2013

Her site is so old school. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2007. It's hard to browse because the code sucks. Why doesn't she get a re-design and add comment capabilities?

by Anonymousreply 3506/28/2013

I don't know if I've seen it suggested in a blind item on her site or somewhere else, but does anyone else think Darren Aronofsky (director of Black Swan) is the biological father of Natalie Portman's son?

by Anonymousreply 3606/28/2013

r35 it is because her husband is an old-school web guy. she's not even using wordpress. the no-comments thing is all ego - she is a mega control freak and wants total control over her message and brand. she doesn't follow anyone on twitter and doesnt even use facebook. it's amazing she is so popular because she defies every single "rule" of building an engaged online community around your brand. Her MO is "fuck you - I DO IT MY WAY" and her fans eat it up.

by Anonymousreply 3706/28/2013

R36 No.I know someone who worked with him and that theory is so off the ranch it's not even funny.The kid looks a bit like Natalie's dad.

by Anonymousreply 3806/28/2013

r36 there have been multiple threads on that topic on DL. There was plenty of online gossip about it around the time he was born, and a few months ago the print version of the NE ran a big item, with photos, basically outright stating Aronofsky was the dad.

r38 why is it so off? DA is a known pussyhound of major proportion. It wouldn't be out of character at all for him to have had a thing with Portman. Her boy looks identical to DA and Weisz's son, startling resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 3906/28/2013

Lainey, wow is she still shilling and inning her favs?

by Anonymousreply 4006/28/2013

R39 The resemblance is not that startling honey. Sometimes it takes one person to post untrue BS about someone and it becomes gospel. That is the problem with online gossip. Things take a life of its own. The same thing goes for Blind Items, unless you see someone's name printed then it's a total guess.

NE is sometimes off believe it or not.They can be totally on about some things but off about others. Do you remember that girl who claimed to be Yves Montand's daughter? She "looked" exactly like him BTW. They exhumed his body and did genetic tests and they were not related! Oh and the baby looks a little like Nat's dad Avner.

by Anonymousreply 4106/28/2013

I'm not going to waste space arguing; do a search of DL for the multiple threads that have photo comparisons or do a simple google search. Many people have noted a great resemblance.

Doesn't mean it's true, doesn't mean it isn't; but this is DL and what we're here to do is GOSSIP and speculate.

The NE spread was startling in that they were the first major tab publication to run the story, and so blatantly; previously talk had been confined to online blogs and forums. Was also startling in that the players are so high-powered (DA, NP); NE doesn't typically run stories about major A-listers without some backup or vetting.

by Anonymousreply 4206/28/2013

R42 Vetting is subjective. I knew a gossip columnist(no not Michael Mussyto) and there was shit that he could never publish that he saw with his own eyes let alone getting the info from a source.Sometimes they(NE) does a good job of printing gossip other times they just steal out-rightly from revelations on Howard Stern!

Baby pictures don't mean a thing. You could subjectively say someone looks like someone else. He's still a kid so you don't know what he'll look like. Where are the genetic tests? "Montand's daughter" looked exactly like him, the problem is the genetic tests disproved the fact that he was the father.

DA is high powered? HAHAHA. You're kidding me. He's done some good films for sure(like Wrestler) but he's not a major force in the industry. Maybe if he totally sells out and finally does a superhero film, then we'll see his star rise. Noah will be a mega budget film it will be interesting to see how it does. I like Crowe and the cast so I hope it does well.

by Anonymousreply 4306/28/2013

You seem a bit over invested here r41 43 etc. its just a gossip story not the second coming. there were several threads on Portman &her kid as mentioned with lots of discussion. Are you a friend of hers or something?

and way off base about Aronofsky, he's as powered as Portman is. He's a major director/producer & very well-regarded, if only for his work & perhaps not his personal life. definitely A-list.

by Anonymousreply 4406/28/2013

re laineys site: agree the no comments is ego and strange given all her competitors nowadays have huge comment sections which attract interest and site clicks. oddly it seems to work in her favor by focusing attention on her posts and content, theres no distraction or need to moderate a bunch of noisy posters or waste time with a busy interface.

by Anonymousreply 4506/28/2013

Lainey doesn't want people to attack her or to have spammy comments to deal with.

Seems fair enough, really.

by Anonymousreply 4606/28/2013

r40 don't worry Jake just keep sending the checks and you're all good. :D

by Anonymousreply 4706/28/2013

I like that she mean talks about Johnny Depp.

by Anonymousreply 4812/17/2014

Her shilling lately for Taylor Swift is embarrassing. She's usually a little more subtle or clever about it.

Like, I could buy that she genuinely liked/admired Jake G, even while obviously shilling for him. But I just can't believe a 40 year old woman is *that* intrigued by TS - not just her as a player (which is kinda interesting considering how she worked her way to the top of the industry via country music & tween fans), but actually pretending to be blown away by her talent. I hope she's getting something major in return for the further loss of credibility.

by Anonymousreply 4912/17/2014

I bet she receives payment for positive articles.

by Anonymousreply 5012/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.