Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remembering Judy

Judy Holliday born June 21, 1922. It's said that her speaking voice could etch glass but what a delight she was. She began her career as part of a night-club act, before working in Broadway plays and musicals. She was blacklisted in the early days of television.

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013

In 1952, Judy Holliday was called to testify before the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee to answer claims that she was associated with communism. Although not blacklisted from films, she was blacklisted from radio and television for nearly three years.

by Anonymousreply 106/21/2010

Judy Holliday began her show business career in 1938 as part of a night-club act called "The Revuers." The other four members of the group were Betty Comden, Adolph Green, Alvin Hammer and John Frank. The Revuers played engagements at various New York night clubs, including the Village Vanguard, Spivy's Roof, the Blue Angel, and the Rainbow Room, and also the Trocadero in Hollywood. They disbanded in early 1944.

She made her Broadway debut in 1945, at the Belasco Theatre in "Kiss Them for Me." In 1946, she returned to Broadway as the scatterbrained Billie Dawn in "Born Yesterday." Author Garson Kanin had written the play for his friend Jean Arthur. Arthur played the role of Billie out-of-town, but after illnesses she resigned. Kanin chose Holliday as her replacement.

by Anonymousreply 206/21/2010

Pay me now. My all time favorite movie scene.

by Anonymousreply 306/21/2010

Love her in "Bells Are Ringing." One of my favorite movies about New York City.

by Anonymousreply 406/21/2010

Kate Hepburn convinced George Cukor to cast her in Adam's Rib based upon her strong performance in Born Yesterday on Broadway. He did not initially think she was right for the part and not a big enough name. That was her star making entree into movies.

by Anonymousreply 506/21/2010

GAY!

by Anonymousreply 606/21/2010

Best friend?

Anderson Cooper's father!

by Anonymousreply 706/21/2010

My sister saw Judy in Bells are Ringing on Broadway. Shubert Theatre Hal Linden had replaced Sydney Chaplin as Jeffrey Moss. My sister bought the LP along with the recordings of the other shows she saw, West Side Story with Carol Lawrence, Ken leRoy, Carmen Alverez (in for Chita Rivera)and The Music Man with Preston and Cook. Those three albums began my life long love affair with musical theatre. When the movie version of Bells are Ringing came out, I went to see it with my sister. We were both disappointed that "Long Before I Knew You" as well as "Hello, Hello There" and "Salzburg" had been cut from the film.

I know...

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 806/21/2010

Of her performance in the stage musical, Brooks Atkinson wrote in The New York Times: "Nothing has happened to the shrill little moll whom the town loved in 'Born Yesterday'. The squeaky voice, the embarrassed giggle, the brassy naivete, the dimples, the teeter-totter walk fortunately remain unimpaired...Miss Holliday now adds a trunk-full of song-and-dance routines...Without losing any of that doll-like personality, she is now singing music by Jule Styne and dancing numbers composed by Jerome Robbins and Bob Fosse. She has gusto enough to triumph in every kind of music hall antic."

by Anonymousreply 906/21/2010

Her lover was a woman named Yetta Cohen, who with model John Whyte, owned the Botel and the Blue Whale in Fire Island Pines. When I asked him what Judy Holliday was like he said "They were mean dykes." But then, he really didn't like women. Or people in general. He told me he liked Rolls Royces.

by Anonymousreply 1006/21/2010

[quote]He told me he liked Rolls Royces.

I guess he didn't like "The Solid Gold Cadillac."

by Anonymousreply 1106/21/2010

Brilliant, [R3].

by Anonymousreply 1206/21/2010

I live in the same neighborhood she grew up in. Her childhood home has a National Register plaque in her honor.

by Anonymousreply 1306/21/2010

The is only ONE Judy...not Holliday, not Garland, but the JUDGE. Case closed!

by Anonymousreply 1406/21/2010

Ahem, R14...

by Anonymousreply 1506/21/2010

About twenty years ago, two biographies of Judy Holliday were published almost simultaneously. I read them both and it was interesting to see how the authors handled her lesbianism/bisexuality. As I recall, one book clearly stated that Judy had a long-term affair with female police officer, who was given a pseudonym in the book; the other biography used this woman's real name, but never hinted that they were lovers.

I also found it interesting that she was involved with Gerry Mulligan at the end of her life. Was this relationship real? I wonder because he was also Sandy Dennis's long-term boyfriend...but Sandy was also alleged to be a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 1606/21/2010

This queen just didn't want to deal with Judy's bisexuality/lesbianism because his *revised* book about cabaret makes her and Gerry Mulligan hot lovers. The reality, Gerry liked lesbians for some reason (see: Sandy Dennis).

by Anonymousreply 1706/21/2010

"I'm Going Back" from BELLS ARE RINGING was considered one of the greatest performances of an eleven o'clock number ever in a musical.

"And while I'm sittin' there I hope that I find out...

Just what Ella Peterson is all about,

In that Shangri-la of lacy lingerie...

(A little modeling on the side)..."

by Anonymousreply 1806/21/2010

I always thought that instead of being stuck in HOT SPOT it was a great shame she didn't play Dolly Levi. She's the only performer I'd like to have heard sing "So Long, Dearie".

by Anonymousreply 1906/21/2010

LOVE her. Taken from us too soon.

by Anonymousreply 2006/21/2010

She had a rough life, nothing ever went smoothly for her, the career constantly seesawed up and down (including some devastating reviews on Broadway) and then she was diagnosed with cancer and she was gone.

by Anonymousreply 2106/21/2010

The Film Society of Lincoln Center did a retrospective of all her films (incl. the rarely seen WINGED VICTORY) a few years back. Her son, David Oppenheim, spoke. He looks NOTHING like her, and sounds nothing like her. But he was very moving about having her as a mother. Betty Comden (RIP), who David said was his mother's best friend, was also there.

David told this story about WINGED VICTORY - it was directed by Cukor as part of the war effort (based on the play by Moss Hart, it was a tribute to the founding of the US Air Force during WWII) and Judy was under contract to 20th Century Fox at the time (the Revuers appear for a split second each - separately, not as a group - in a Carmen Miranda film called GREENWICH VILLAGE made in 1943, so they were all under contract to Fox briefly). Despite what may have been previously rumored or written (even in this very thread), Cukor LOVED Judy while making WINGED VICTORY, and fought to get to direct her in BORN YESTERDAY and fought to cast her in ADAM'S RIB. In fact, he made 6 films with her and he was her favorite director.

My other favorite Judy story - she was nominated for Best Actress against Gloria Swanson in SUNSET BLVD. and Bette Davis and Anne Baxter in ALL ABOUT EVE. There was much gossip that year about Davis v. Swanson for the Oscar; when the press informed Davis (who wasn't at the ceremony) that Judy had won, she said "Good. I'm glad it was a newcomer." implying another slap at Swanson.... move over, Davis v. Crawford!)

by Anonymousreply 2206/22/2010

One of my favorites...

by Anonymousreply 2306/22/2010

r23, that clip shows why Judy Holliday was a star.

by Anonymousreply 2406/22/2010

I'm sure someonew will correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Judy have a very high IQ?

by Anonymousreply 2506/22/2010

Could someone be a dear and post a couple of Judy's appearances as The Mystery Guest on What's My Line from youtube? Thanks so much!

If I remember correctly there's one following her opening in Bells Are Ringing and one after her opening in Hot Spot.

Yes, she would have made the PERFECT Dolly....brilliant thought!

by Anonymousreply 2606/22/2010

OP mentions her voice. What most think of is a brillantly-inventive, comic performance.

Her actual speaking voice was quite lovely.

by Anonymousreply 2706/22/2010

[quote]didn't Judy have a very high IQ?

Yes, she did. She was anything but a ditzy blonde but she really knew how to play one.

by Anonymousreply 2806/22/2010

Judy Holliday's son, Jonathan Oppenheim, grew up to become a documentary film editor of note, editing "Paris is Burning", "Children Underground", and "Arguing the World".

by Anonymousreply 2906/22/2010

bumping just to fuck with everyone, because there are now two threads labeled "Remembering Judy"

by Anonymousreply 3006/23/2010

When she went before the House UnAmerican Activities Commitee, she played the dumb blonde. And it saved her career.

by Anonymousreply 3106/23/2010

Was Yetta Cohen the 6th Precinct cop Judy lived with on Waverly Place?

by Anonymousreply 3206/23/2010

For those of you who don't know, linked is a SUPERB Judy Holliday website, with great resources.

It even tracks her life month by month for many years. According to the chronology, she and Yetta lived on E. 57th Street.

by Anonymousreply 3306/23/2010

[quote]bumping just to fuck with everyone, because there are now two threads labeled "Remembering Judy"

I wondered if anyone would notice.

by Anonymousreply 3406/23/2010

Her first job was as an assistant switchboard operator at the Mercury Theatre run by Orson Welles and John Houseman.

by Anonymousreply 3506/23/2010

I like how when she was dying from cancer they never told her she was dying from cancer. Like, do you just get up in the morning and say, "I'm still not feeling so great," and everyone says, "Oh, you'll feel better in no time. Just you wait." And then you're in bed unable to move or breathe.

So that's what I enjoy about the woman who stole the Oscar from more several other more deserving actresses.

by Anonymousreply 3606/23/2010

She should have won for "Adam's Rib"

"Born Yesterday" is good, but that competition she was up against was just too great.

by Anonymousreply 3706/23/2010

And yet she won, so SUCK IT, R36 and R37!

by Anonymousreply 3806/24/2010

Hot Spot sounds a bit like Call Me Madame, but in Africa or somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3906/24/2010

Wasn't Hot Spot about a young lady who travels to Africa as part of the new Peace Corps program?

by Anonymousreply 4006/24/2010

You think Yetta Cohen was Judy's only GF? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 4106/24/2010

She deserved to win.

by Anonymousreply 4206/24/2010

Schneider!

by Anonymousreply 4307/09/2010

As much as Holliday deserves an Oscar, if it'd only have been EITHER Davis or Swanson, she wouldn't have won.%0D %0D Technically she won by default as it was a split vote bwtween the other two ladies. Still a win, but not quite as sweet.

by Anonymousreply 4407/09/2010

There's no asterisk by her name though. A win is a win is a win.

I just watched Solid Gold Cadillac for the first time the other night. I really enjoyed her performance.

by Anonymousreply 4507/09/2010

She dated classmate Patricia Highsmith. Now there was a surly woman.

by Anonymousreply 4607/09/2010

Did anyone vote for Anne Baxter's Eve? was her performance as reviled in 1950 as it is now?

by Anonymousreply 4707/09/2010

I saw her son at Film Forum. I thought he looked uncannily like her. The dimple, the eyes. When somebody in the audience barked, "Speak louder," he tilted his head and gave a very Judy-esque, pursed-lipped smile, and then did not raise his voice at all. Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 4807/09/2010

In NOT SINCE CARRIE, Mandelbaum says that when it was uncertan that Holliday might do HOT SPOT, Sondheim suggested Streisand as a replacement.

by Anonymousreply 4907/09/2010

Oh, R3, we would be great friends!

by Anonymousreply 5007/09/2010

Judy Holliday was awesome in 'Born Yesterday'. I saw this movie yesterday and i loved it. What a memorable performance really! I have not seen another movie with her so far. Was she most of the time as amazing as she was in 'Born Yesterday'?

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2012

Someome in this thread said that Judy dated Patricia Highsmith! Is that a fact? If it is i find it very amusing! Lol.

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2012

In 1950, Judy Holliday had an Oscar nomination for best leading actress for the movie 'Born Yesterday' and Gloria Swanson for the film 'Sunset Boulevard'. Judy finally won the Oscar that night and here is a photo of Judy and Gloria together back then.

I must mention that among the nominees for best leading actress that year was Bette Davis for 'All about Eve', Anne Baxter for the same movie (All about Eve), and Eleanor Parker for 'Caged'. I happen to have seen all these performances and movies and they all were INCREDIBLE! However, i believe that Miss Holliday won the oscar that year because her role was very original, idiosyncratic, positive, funny and most promising.

by Anonymousreply 5311/18/2012

I was thinking about what Ring Lardner, Jr. said about blacklisting -- it was (is) usually done by people who wouldn't normally have a crack at the better jobs (or land or money) unless they take out their betters. Generally, this is done by sex, religion or politics.

Once upon a time, military officer wardrooms and many clubs forbade any discussion of sex, religion or politics, and now I see why -- to preserve group cohesion and the ability to work together. In the current "team building" seen in many corporations and other employment places, the opposite is now true, and much is made about one's sex life, religion, and politics, which is why work is now Hell...

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2012

R54, nice comment, however this is a Judy Holliday thread sugar. :)

by Anonymousreply 5511/18/2012

I meant Judy was one of the greats, and so am not surprised she got blacklisted. Hollywood was always about image and intrusiveness and misbehavior, but now Industry values have leeched into the rest of society.

Judy lost a lot of time because of that bullshit -- time she didn't have.

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2012

Judy not only won an Oscar for Born Yesterday over Bette Davis in All About Eve and Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard but also won a Tony for Bells Are Ringing over Julie Andrews in My Fair Lady.

Now, that's saying something!

She was a unique and refreshing talent in post-WWII Broadway and Hollywood, essentially a character actress who became a leading lady. As her performance in George Cukor's The Marrying Kind proves, she could play comedy and tragedy with equal ease.

But unlike other leading lady character actresses like Marie Dressler or Shirley Booth, Judy had enormous sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2012

Rita Hayworth was Colubmia's first choice for the film version of Born Yesterday. But Rita met Aly Khan and left Hollywood. I wonder how Rita would have been as Billie.

by Anonymousreply 5811/18/2012

Ok! Nice guys, thanks for posting. You are all sweet.

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2012

Hmm...58, for a moment i thought what you said about lovely Rita playing Judy's part in 'Born Yesterday'... I'm afraid that Rita wouldn't be as amazing as Judy was in that role. Don't get me wrong, Rita might have been more beautiful or pretty than Judy but she hadn't the comic flair of Miss Holliday. Rita was excellent in dramas and musicals but she couldn't make fun of herself very successfully because she was a femme fatale, after all... For the role of 'Billie' in 'Born Yesterday', Judy was a brilliant choice. Her voice, her body language, her whole performance was ideal for that role.

by Anonymousreply 6011/18/2012

Yes, the Patricia Highsmith bio mentioned that Patricia went on one date with her Julia Richmond HS classmate, then Judith Tuvim. Remember that Patricia was beautiful in her youth, before booze and bigotry wizened her face until she was the inspiration for the Where's the Beef? lady.

I love Judy Holliday. The scene in Adam's Rib when Katharine gets Judy's story about what happened when she followed her shithead husband out of the house, into the subway, on his way to philander, was gripping.

What a fucking joke that that cipher Madonna started out mimicking Judy's shrill blonde bit. You need brains to play that dumb.

by Anonymousreply 6111/18/2012

The bootleg CD of HOT SPOT reveals Judy's superhuman talent at making any material--ANY material--work.

She was quite ill at the time and did the show just for the money, but you'd never know it to hear her work. The audience is having a great time with her.

What does DL think of her studio albums: TROUBLE IS A MAN, and the one with Mulligan?

She wanted to buy herself out of the film of BELLS, feeling she had been MGM'd too much. The film is enjoyable and she's wonderful in it, but watching it today it would be better if somehow it were shorter, but had more of the score.

by Anonymousreply 6211/18/2012

I googled Trouble is a a Man in Youtube and i liked it, it's emotional and 'cloudy'. At the beginning of the video clip there is a quote of Judy Holliday: 'Lovers have a right to betray you. Friends, don't.'

by Anonymousreply 6311/18/2012

Yes, Judy Holliday was magnificent in 'Born Yesterday'

by Anonymousreply 6411/21/2012

Excellent comedienne.

by Anonymousreply 6501/04/2013

Thank you, R65, for bumping this thread with that insightful bulletin. We now know the encapsulized opinion of an obviously qualified, if anonymous, nonentity. Why did you bother?

by Anonymousreply 6601/04/2013

Yes! Judy Holliday in 'Born Yesterday' was something unprecedented! It's amazing how good an actress or actor can be, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 6701/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.