Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Disturbing Peter Pan Peanut Butter Ad

Alan Sues is why Anita Bryant had credibility.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012

OP, we have reserved a room for you. Please give us a call.

by Anonymousreply 106/20/2010

What a great commercial that was: openly gay, in the midst of a reactionary era. I remember loving it at the time, but had utterly forgotten it. Thanks, OP!

As for Anita Bryant, she never had much credibility even at the time. Her bizarre little crusade was the undoing of her.

by Anonymousreply 206/20/2010

OP = Randy Constan

by Anonymousreply 306/20/2010

Best comment on YouTube: "Wow...he's creepy. I think I'll switch to Jiff or Skippy."

by Anonymousreply 406/20/2010

It was commendable ad campaigns like this from Madison Avenue that first signalled to gay and lesbian youth that it was a new day and it just might be okay to come out.

by Anonymousreply 506/20/2010

Even though I am a big fan of Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly I never much cared for Alan Sues's brand of faggotry.

He worked on LAUGH-IN with the British comedian Jeremy Lloyd who created ARE YOU BEING SERVED? When an American version was produced, Lloyd approved casting Sues in the Mr. Humphries role. But once he saw the finished product, Lloyd realized he hadn't remembered Sues all that well and regretted using him.

by Anonymousreply 606/20/2010

The gay equivalent of blackface.

by Anonymousreply 706/20/2010

The mother looks familiar, too. Who is she?

by Anonymousreply 806/20/2010

You people are perverts imagining that Peter Pan--who is a CHILD--is a homosexual. Shame on you!

by Anonymousreply 906/20/2010

The 1977 documentary 'Word Is Out' is going to be on TCM Thursday. It spoke much more honestly to gay and lesbian people than this ad, but I guess it could be argued that there would never have been a 'Word Is Out' without the pansy stereotype's acceptance as an ice breaker.

by Anonymousreply 1106/20/2010

I liked it when he went One ringy dingy

by Anonymousreply 1212/07/2012

I remember he was "Uncle Al," the drunk kiddie show host

by Anonymousreply 1312/07/2012

[R7] I agree with you. Skippy is better anyway

by Anonymousreply 1412/07/2012

The Peter Pan spot is a hoot.

R10 appears to be tuned to some other troll channel entirely.

by Anonymousreply 1512/07/2012

Love it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/10/2012

I didn't care much for him, but someone today would not understand what a brave thing it was for a working actor to risk losing their livelihood by being as obviously gay as he was. He got by.

And he wasn't the "One ringy dingy" person. That was Lily Tomlin, who chose to keep her sexuality under wraps. To each, their own.

by Anonymousreply 1712/10/2012

I had totally forgotten that commercial, but it brought back my childhood! I never thought it was creepy, just sort of funny - especially the eye-rolling as he hoists his big ass back out the kitchen window.

My sister and I used to mimic the line "I said that right, didn't I?", complete with goofy expressions.

by Anonymousreply 1812/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.