Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Banned or Controversial Music Videos

This thread can be for old, new - whatever. I find it interesting how much noise there was about this Robert Palmer video - two of the women are in knee-length black up to their neck. Besides the suggestion of mammary movement, there really isn't anything shocking about this. But back then? Oh hell no.

by Anonymousreply 5606/20/2010

I didn't remember the black-face in this video.

by Anonymousreply 106/19/2010

Cool video. The only videos that are now banned are videos with the slightest hint of male homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 206/19/2010

MTV refused to play Queen's "Body Language" in 1982.

by Anonymousreply 306/19/2010

And, of course, there's "Relax," Frankie Goes To Hollywood's infamously hedonistic and homoerotic video that MTV banned. Thank Goddess for USA's Nightflight.

by Anonymousreply 406/19/2010

Didn't the UK or Ireland ban REM's "Losing My Religion" video for "homoerotic imagery"?

I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard at the time.

by Anonymousreply 506/19/2010

It was the religious imagery that got it banned on MTV Europe. I do not think it was banned but it was heavily cut for a while.

by Anonymousreply 606/19/2010

I thought Self Control by Laura Branigan was the first video MTV banned. Why I'm not sure

by Anonymousreply 706/19/2010

Madonna owns this thread. Justify My Love, Erotica, What it Feels Like For a Girl, Like a Prayer....we could be here all day.

by Anonymousreply 806/19/2010

Van Halen's 'Oh, Pretty Woman' was banned, so was 'I'm So Excited' by The Pointer Sisters' because you could see Bonnie's vagina in one scene. Pixilation would've solved the problem, but we weren't doing that yet.

by Anonymousreply 906/19/2010

"Girls on Film" by Duran Duran. I think their video for "The Chauffeur" may have been banned, too, but not 100% certain.

by Anonymousreply 1006/19/2010

Enrique Iglesias playing with his pee pee!

by Anonymousreply 1106/19/2010

Oops. Meant to post this "Girls on Film". It's the raunchy version, which is kind of tame by today's standards.

by Anonymousreply 1206/19/2010

The Doors' video of "The Unknown Soldier" Shot over 40 years ago, and I think it would still have a hard time getting on TV.

by Anonymousreply 1306/19/2010

Madonna's Like a Prayer

by Anonymousreply 1406/19/2010

I never knew about the controversy over the Pointer Sisters "I'm So Excited" video. But watching the video on YouTube, at the 0:56 mark, it does appear that you can see vag.

by Anonymousreply 1506/19/2010

OP, I don't remember that Robert Palmer video being considered controversial or banworthy. What part of the world did you live in?

by Anonymousreply 1606/19/2010

Dwight Twilley's "Girls" (which had both male and female nudity)

by Anonymousreply 1706/19/2010

The didn't want Judy singing to or even mentioning Kennedy after his assassination - so she sang Battle Hymm of the Republic in tribute and they edited it where she said his name.

by Anonymousreply 1806/19/2010

That Robert Palmer video was not considered controversial in the US. It WAS, however, considered to be very sexy, and it jump started Palmer's career for a bit.

by Anonymousreply 1906/19/2010

Where did Twilley think this video would be playing?

by Anonymousreply 2006/19/2010

R17, I see your "Girls", and I raise you an "Allentown". (skip to 1:57)

by Anonymousreply 2106/19/2010

Falco's "Jeanny." The song and video were both controversial -- telling the story of a child kidnapping (and rape?) from the point of view of the kidnapper.

by Anonymousreply 2206/19/2010

I couldn't see Enrique's penis at all in that one video... Is that version still censored?

by Anonymousreply 2306/19/2010

I don't recall MTV censoring 'Allentown' at all though.

by Anonymousreply 2406/19/2010

I remember seeing "I'm So Excited" all the time and always pointing out Bonnie's nudity. The video was not edited years ago. It was in soft focus, I guess that was the justification for not editing it.

My mom was always laughing about it. "I guess they forgot to edit that scene out?"

Didn't Bonnie later pose for Playboy?

by Anonymousreply 2506/19/2010

I remember Utah banned Olivia Newton John's song Physical, probably because at the end of the video two guys walk out together. I also remember a big uproar over Garth Brooks' The Thunder Rolls because it was about domestic abuse and murder.

by Anonymousreply 2606/19/2010

The Like a Prayer video was never banned. The Pepsi commercial that used the song was withdrawn, though.

JML, Erotica and WIFLFAG were banned, or shown after hours.

by Anonymousreply 2706/19/2010

Cher's "If I Could Turn Back Time." Wasn't banned, but was only shown at night.

by Anonymousreply 2806/19/2010

[quote]I thought Self Control by Laura Branigan was the first video MTV banned. Why I'm not sure

Because it was a shitty song.

by Anonymousreply 2906/19/2010

The Laura video was initally banned and then retooled to be aired. The seduction scene was heavily edited. I would love to see the original unaired video.

Don't forget george michael "I want your sox"

by Anonymousreply 3006/19/2010

R24, you are correct. I just wanted to show man ass.

R25, that was June Pointer's pussy we saw. Bonnie Pointer was a solo act, and while a sister to the other Pointers, wasn't with them when they hit it big.

by Anonymousreply 3106/19/2010

Madonna's American Life video - not banned, but pulled by the artist herself.

by Anonymousreply 3206/19/2010

I seem to recall they banned a Johnny Cash video that features Kate Moss getting killed (or commit suicide)?

by Anonymousreply 3306/19/2010

Why, R32 because the song was a steaming pile of shit?

by Anonymousreply 3406/19/2010

This video was banned from MuchMusic when I was in high school - seriously:

by Anonymousreply 3506/19/2010

R29: Blasphemer!

by Anonymousreply 3606/19/2010

George Michael, "Outside".

by Anonymousreply 3706/19/2010

I totally remember the controversy around "Addicted To Love." It was thought that the identically-styled women were being presented as objects, or somthing. I don't think it was banned, just controversial.

I'm laughing my ass off about seeing June Pointer's vulva.

by Anonymousreply 3806/19/2010

R38 is correct. There was a strong feminist backlash against both Robert Palmer videos ("Simply Irresistible" is the other mannequin video).

Michelle Shocked did a reply video for "On the Greener Side" sometime later.

by Anonymousreply 3906/19/2010

[quote]Don't forget george michael "I want your sox"

Hehe!

by Anonymousreply 4006/19/2010

Not a video, but my little hometown radio station played an instrumemtal version of "Like A Virgin." The DJ wouldn't even say the name of the song, just "That's Madonna!"

by Anonymousreply 4106/19/2010

Even now, the major-market pop radio station in my city of 5m people censors the word "bitch" from "Bad Romance."

by Anonymousreply 4206/19/2010

OP, if I remember rightly, the Robert Palmer video was criticized in some circles since the women were 'objectified'. According to some, dressing them all alike dehumanized them and made them look like identical, mindless sex dolls. Most of this outcry was coming from feminists who felt the vacant expressions and identical outfits turned the women into sex objects. But I never heard about the video being banned because of it.

by Anonymousreply 4306/19/2010

R43, you're right. I forgot about that. What the hell?

If anything it makes women seem like gorgeous zombies who are talented at musical instruments!

by Anonymousreply 4406/19/2010

IIRC, there were four or five women in Palmer's video, but the camera only focused on two of them. Guess the others weren't so hot.

by Anonymousreply 4506/19/2010

Can you find a more controversial music video than this?

Marilyn Mansin - (S)aint

by Anonymousreply 4606/20/2010

I bought Lady Gaga's CD at Target and every time she says 'Bitch' it's edited out!!! WTH.

by Anonymousreply 4706/20/2010

"Don't forget george michael "I want your sox""

Or his other big hit - the one about stinky feet - "Too Funky"

by Anonymousreply 4806/20/2010

Even though I like some of Marilyn's music, R46, in order to be controversial people have to give a shit in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 4906/20/2010

Is anyone else sort of shocked that the repeated line "Just smoke my cigarette and hush" wasn't cut/censored for the "Alejandro" video and single? I'm sure the nicotine nazis missed it or else they would be in an uproar. I know references to drugs/cigs aren't always cut, but in this case it's repeated so many times over the course of the song I feared they might make a stink about it.

They didn't... yet.

by Anonymousreply 5006/20/2010

The original AMERICAN LIFE video - shocking as hell!

by Anonymousreply 5106/20/2010

You still can't see the uncut version of Nine Inch Nail's Closer video on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 5206/20/2010

R51, are you serious?

Shocking as hell?

by Anonymousreply 5306/20/2010

What was the Tubes video with Fee Waybill's penis?

by Anonymousreply 5406/20/2010

The Wild, Wild West with imaginary vage was quite the scandal in the late 80's. Banned in the U. K., I heard.

by Anonymousreply 5506/20/2010

I guess this can maybe be controversial.

by Anonymousreply 5606/20/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!