Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lea Michelle sucks

Yes, this needed its own thread.

Was there no one else who could fill her slot on "Glee"? She just made a gasping, off key fool of herself at the Tonys.

What an obnoxious, shrill little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18003/07/2014

She should call me. I could teach her a thing or two.

by Anonymousreply 106/14/2010

She was bad.

by Anonymousreply 206/14/2010

Morrison was also bad.

by Anonymousreply 306/14/2010

Her number was the "Ow! My Ears!" moment of the night.

by Anonymousreply 406/14/2010

You could tell when she got to the part where she screamed, "Hey Tony Awards! Here I aaaammmmmm!" that she was waiting for and expecting a thunderous roar of cheers from the crowd.

But it didn't come, did it sweetie??

by Anonymousreply 506/14/2010

When I saw Morrison shaved that gorgeous hairy chest -- I changed the channel

by Anonymousreply 706/14/2010

Lea was shaky but I thought Morrison was actually very good.

by Anonymousreply 806/14/2010

This performance was so bad, that as soon as I finished listening, I had to queue up the only hole presentable version there is. The one by miss Barbra Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 906/14/2010

R6, that's Laura Belle Bundy. I worked with her many years ago before the unfortunate nose job.

by Anonymousreply 1006/14/2010

I remember when I saw Legally Blonde, I had a hard time buying Laura Belle Bundy as a girl who had been stigmatized because of her hotness.

She was certainly very blonde, but at any given time there seemed to be about five other girls on stage that were much prettier than she was, and just about the entire cast could sing circles round her.

by Anonymousreply 1106/14/2010

Morrison can dance, that's for sure. But the both of them were just yelling. It was unpleasant to sit through.

by Anonymousreply 1206/14/2010

R6- Laura Bell Bundy had her nose fixed. It use to be about the size of Lea Michele's honker. Bundy was in Hairspray with Matthew Morrison and Legally Blonde.

by Anonymousreply 1306/14/2010

I love Matthew Morrison but Lea hasn't earned the diva antics she pulls.

by Anonymousreply 1406/14/2010

Thank you R10 and R13. I don't know anything about her, and her nose just looked weird. That poor girl, I'm sure she regrets that nose job.

by Anonymousreply 1506/14/2010

Thanks for posting, R6. It's people like you who post videos and links who make DL a better place.

by Anonymousreply 1606/14/2010

This performance was great-I don't know what you all were watching. She is an incredible talent and the audience was very much enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 1706/14/2010

Wow, she sure was loud.

by Anonymousreply 1806/14/2010

R11, it's not like Reese Witherspoon, the original Legally Blonde, is hot.

by Anonymousreply 1906/14/2010

I felt sorry for that poor girl. Not very pretty. Not at all musical. Just loud and grating and self-indulgent. Luckily it was captured on video. Someday, after she crashes and burns, she'll be able to discuss last night with her therapist.

by Anonymousreply 2006/14/2010

she is so impressed with herself. she thinks she's hot shit

by Anonymousreply 2106/14/2010

It was clearly an audition for the Funny Girl revival, and I'm afraid it backfired on her. No one would be stupid enough to hire her to star in Funny Girl now.

Besides, she'll be shooting Wicked then, won't she?

by Anonymousreply 2206/14/2010

Im not the biggest fan, but from the clip I just watched it was obvious that the sound mix and mic was off for her vocals which made it sound like she was eating the mic (even mroe!) Not a terrible performance, just a little shaky, but if the mix is off anyone is shaky.

How many Glee fans give a fuck? Likely not even one percent even watched. Her career is likely in good shape for at least anotehr 5 years.

Some of you need to get life. Nobody cares what some hateful theatre queen thinks.

by Anonymousreply 2306/14/2010

"How many Glee fans give a fuck? Likely not even one percent even watched."

I'm not so sure this is true. But I agree that they probably didn't give a fuck that she was bad.

by Anonymousreply 2406/14/2010

The show had mic problems all night.

by Anonymousreply 2506/14/2010

I'm a glee fan who doesn't know that much about musical theater otherwise. I watched the Tonys for the first time since I was a kid. I like Lea's voice but it seemed to me that she was racing through that song like she was being paid by the word. Is this song supposed to be so up tempo and manic? Like Stritchy manic?

Matthew Morrison's number just seemed run of the mill and dull. He dances really well.

by Anonymousreply 2606/14/2010

If you don't care, then why make such a nasty post R23?

She's a star now, and apparently wants to be treated as one. She's taking on a role that was made famous by none other than Barbra Streisand, so she better get used to the criticism. How many off nights did Streisand have?

by Anonymousreply 2706/14/2010

Obviously Morrsion had more to do movement-wise, but his vocals weren't hot either.

by Anonymousreply 2806/14/2010

Was not good. She copied and amplified (and I do not mean louder necessarily) all the vocal mannerisms and phrasing Streisand uses in that song. Problem is she just does not have the voice, the tone, the power or the stuff that makes it seem natural (although spectacular) when Streisand sings it. I kind of felt badly for her. She tried so hard. Kind of gives you and idea of how good Streisand is.

by Anonymousreply 2906/14/2010

I'm no Michele fan (Streisand neither) but the fact that she was walking through a lot of that performance - her vocals had to suffer because of it.

by Anonymousreply 3006/14/2010

I liked her performance of the song on GLEE, but both she and Morrison had this grim determination about them which hurt their performances. Michele wasn't really in synch with the orchestra at the beginning, and she came off as semi-desperate.

She really shouldn't be cast as Fanny Brice anyway, as I doubt she has the kind of comedy chops needed to evoke Brice's style.

"All I Need is the Girl" should be energetic, but also smooth and charming. Morrison showed nothing but a lot of exertion during the number, to the point where he was clearly short of breath while singing. He has some good moves, but he was working way too hard and the effort showed. It was joyless.

by Anonymousreply 3106/14/2010

I didn't think her performance was so bad. I think the problem was that she did it on Glee, she has been doing it at the Glee concerts, doing it at the Tony's just seemed like schtick. "Oh look, it's Lea singing 'Don't Rain on My Parade' again. Isn't that nice."

by Anonymousreply 3206/14/2010

Did she perform before or after CZJ?

by Anonymousreply 3306/14/2010

[quote]This performance was great-I don't know what you all were watching. She is an incredible talent and the audience was very much enjoying it.

Hi, Lea!

by Anonymousreply 3406/14/2010

She's terrible. But so was the show. What a terrible, PC-and-TV/contempo-culture-ass-kissing raft of winners, for the most part. BUT Ms. Michelle epitomizes the problem. Phony talent not only distorting the tastes of younger people but snatching opportunity from others.

by Anonymousreply 3506/14/2010

I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 3606/14/2010

I think Lea is actually the weak-link vocally on Glee. Far too shrill. None of her performances are enjoyable

by Anonymousreply 3706/14/2010

She should've told them to shove it, anyway. They didn't even nominate her for Spring Awakening. The Tonys are NEVER going to warm to Lea Michelle.

And she should remember that when planning her 2012...

by Anonymousreply 3806/14/2010

Yes, R25 is correct the show had mic problems all night. But Lea's basic problem had nothing to do with her mic. Catherine Zeta Jones, who's voice was noticeably hoarse, did a better job trying to sing, that Lea did actually singing.

I agree, she just eliminated herself from consideration...if she ever was under it...for Funny Girl. My guess is they'll want someone taller, who has the "presence." Someone who can stand out on stage. That special "j'en sais quoi," ya know? Some panache. Some chutzpah! She has none of that. Television sitcoms are definitely her medium.

All Lea had last nightwas an over abundance of self confidence coupled with too much enthusiasm. Her voice had an unpleasant quality. I might consider her for an understudy in a regional theater production,or maybe summer stock, or a dinner theater show of Funny Girl, tho.

by Anonymousreply 3906/14/2010

dont have strong reaction but thought she should have done a diffrent song

by Anonymousreply 4006/14/2010

Ms. Michelle was totally off key, louder-than-bombs.....and well, my ears started to bleed profusely during her 'performance', ruining my new white Prada shirt.

Who do I send the bill to?

by Anonymousreply 4106/14/2010

Number one, her bangs were messed up.

Number two, there is no breath between "pa" and "rade." It's one word and you typically do not breathe within a word unless you are a rank amateur.

And, yes, she looked like a desperate, clawing fool. She was expecting a blowout response just as I believe Miss Barbara Cook was anticipating a standing O that never came...

by Anonymousreply 4206/14/2010

it was the Paddy Lapone version

by Anonymousreply 4306/14/2010

I think Lea was excellent in her 2007 Tony performance.

by Anonymousreply 4406/14/2010

by Anonymousreply 4506/14/2010

Well its not like Idina Menzel did any better. At least Lea only butchered it in front of the Tony audience and not in front of La Streisand herself.

by Anonymousreply 4606/14/2010

I watch Glee simply because my children love it. But they all agree that 'Rachel' is the least likeable character on the show and Lea Michelle is bogging. If she left the show we wouldn't miss her. We prefer Mercedes vocal talents instead.And after watching that performance at the Tonys I'm more convinced that she is over rated and a wee madame who needs taking down a peg or two. Christ, who does she think she is? It's a hard fall to stony ground from your invisible pedestal, Lea.

by Anonymousreply 4706/14/2010

Hate her.

by Anonymousreply 4806/14/2010

She was not impressive, doing a song that requires an impressive voice.

by Anonymousreply 4906/14/2010

sI think she' believing the press releases that suggest she'd be perfect for Funny Girl. No way. She has no sense of humor and no charm.

by Anonymousreply 5006/14/2010

On another note, she lingered at Jonathan Groff's seat. He was with a handsome African-American chap. His new beau?

by Anonymousreply 5106/14/2010

Groff was seat filling in Matt Morrison's seat. They probably put Groff there so that they could have that moment.

The gentleman in the next seat sat there the entire show.

by Anonymousreply 5206/14/2010

I loved Matt Morrison. He was sexy and wonderful. Haters, back off!

by Anonymousreply 5306/14/2010

Matt Morrison was not bad but the number sucked.

by Anonymousreply 5406/14/2010

Why was Lea singing 'Rain on my Parade' at the Tonys last night? What was the relevance to anything?

by Anonymousreply 5506/14/2010

Morrison was fine, no more.

Lea Michele was godawful though. Screechy and trying so hard I thought she'd hurt herself. And that hairstyle just emphasizes what a square face she has.

by Anonymousreply 5606/14/2010

It's her "signature song."

by Anonymousreply 5706/14/2010

R55, was wondering the same thing?? What was the relevance??

I guess to draw in more viewers.

by Anonymousreply 5806/14/2010

She sort of missed the essence of the song. She sang it but failed to actually "perform" it.

It wasn't so much her vocals were off - though they were - it was more that she couldn't act it. The song isn't about breathless hysteria, it's a declaration. For a great big ball of talent, that is.

by Anonymousreply 5906/14/2010

The Post is reporting that she brought the house down.

by Anonymousreply 6006/14/2010

R51/R52 so the handsome African-American chap was Matt Morrison's date?

R60 must be a Glee fangril/fanboy writing for the Post. Lea was awful (never liked her voice anyway)

by Anonymousreply 6106/14/2010

I thought we were all agreed that MM was straight...not so much? Didn't he used to fuck Lea back when they were just Broadway Stars?

by Anonymousreply 6206/14/2010

I read that Lea and the blond cheerleader chick were roommates and "more". So, I seriously doubt that MM was fucking Lea.

And MM can pretend to be straight all he wants while I bend him over and really make him out of breath.

by Anonymousreply 6306/14/2010

>>The Post is reporting that she brought the house down.>>

Yeah, her bombastic performance made the theater collapse.

by Anonymousreply 6406/14/2010

Oh god, I just watched it and she really seems to believe she's blowing everyone away. And that queenly wave she does at the beginning is just awful.

by Anonymousreply 6506/14/2010

OP (and some of the rest of you) are obviously jealous of Lea Michelle. Yes...she is a bitch, but she has talent. And, Morrison is handsome, talented, and hot...just deal with it, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 6606/14/2010

Wow, so many insecure queens here.

by Anonymousreply 6706/14/2010

"Seeing Glee’s strident Lea Michele grab “Don’t Rain on My Parade” in her teeth, bite off its head and spit it out in a big last note made one offer yet another prayer to the theater gods that the fabulous [Leslie] Kritzer—who can not only sing better than Michele but can also be comic and likable—will be cast as Fanny Brice in the upcoming revival of Funny Girl."

So says Time Out. I don't know if Kritzer has it in her but Michele does not.

by Anonymousreply 6806/14/2010

Was she really that bad? It sounded like your typical awards show live performance. Of course it's not as good as Streisand's original recording. What sort of moron would expect it would be? She's a decent talent and she hardly embarrassed herself last night. Get a fucking grip, people.

by Anonymousreply 6906/14/2010

She was not bad at all, the queens are just jealous of her talent.

by Anonymousreply 7006/14/2010

I would like to see her as the female lead in the next Jaden Smith movie.

I think the Datalounge would explode.

by Anonymousreply 7106/14/2010

You people are really raining on my parade.

by Anonymousreply 7206/14/2010

It was no more or less special than what a talented high school kid could do with some practice. And that's being generous.

by Anonymousreply 7406/14/2010

She sounds even worse on her tv show than she did last night. I don't know how anyone who watches it thinks that she can sing well.

by Anonymousreply 7506/14/2010

Don't tell me not to fly, I simply got to If someone takes a spill, it's me and not you!!

by Anonymousreply 7606/14/2010

Lea needs to fix that nose.

by Anonymousreply 7706/14/2010

What kind of cunts call people they disagree with "jealous queens" multiple times? I mean, "jealous" is an insult lobbed by lobotomized teenaged fans, and "queens" with "jealous" makes it sound like said teenagers are massive homophobes.

Why would assholes like that be on DL?

Or is it Ryan Murphy and his friends defending his diva?

by Anonymousreply 7806/14/2010

Some of you need a get a grip and stop being so angry just because someone isn't fawning over a celebrity you love. I doubt she would even look at you on the street if she passed you by.

A lot of people felt she wasn't good. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 7906/14/2010

I'm not a jealous queen and I didn't like her performance. I was waiting for her to break into a rap.

by Anonymousreply 8006/14/2010

[quote]A lot of people felt she wasn't good. Deal with it.

And a lot of people felt she wasn't bad. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 8106/14/2010

Then start your own stupid thread and leave this one.

by Anonymousreply 8206/14/2010

A travesty. If I was there she would have been wearing a blue slushie about halfway through.

by Anonymousreply 8306/14/2010

Speaking as someone who's watched a few Glee episodes and likes her voice on Glee, yowza, that Tonys performance was terrible. She does sound like she's screaming and trying waaaaay too hard.

by Anonymousreply 8406/14/2010

I don't watch Glee, so I had never seen Lea Michelle. She's no Streisand. However, Michelle started off not all that impressive singing Don't Rain on My Parade, but she ended up doing a pretty good job belting out the last half of the song.

by Anonymousreply 8506/14/2010

I thought her performance was perfectly fine. Not great, not awful. She is a very talented singer when she doesn't force the numbers. I rather enjoy her performances on Glee. Bitch or no bitch, she'll have a very long career.

The best part of Morrison's performance was the dancing, which surprised me. His vocals were okay, but he was completely out of breath. It showed that he hadn't been performing 8 shows a week because he would have been able to carry the vocals if he had been consistently training.

by Anonymousreply 8606/14/2010

Wow, I'm late to the party. Her performance was ok. Not so bad that it lead the Tony award headlines but not so good that it did either. But really who cares?

Lea Michele is only [bold]23 years old[/bold]! Get a grip people! She's not going anywhere so sit tight and watch it all unfold.

Either way none of it is under your control. Snipe and bit and scratch all you want I'm sure Lea cries herself to sleep at night worrying what the self-important pigs on the Datalounge think of her talents.

by Anonymousreply 8706/14/2010

Is whether or not she cares about the way a lot of people noticed the myriad flaws in her over-eager performance really the point?

It really wasn't good. And I loved her in Spring Awakening.

by Anonymousreply 8806/14/2010

And yet you care enought to post such drivel.

Fantards are so laughable.

by Anonymousreply 8906/14/2010

Don't be such a moron, r89.

by Anonymousreply 9006/14/2010

r87, Streisand was 22 when she opened in Funny Girl. When SHE sang it that song, it brought chills and standing ovations. To this day it does. Even when SHE sings it at 67 years old. Like Over the Rainbow is Garland's, Don't Rain On My Parade is Streisand's. Forever. The end. Talent like that takes your breath away and comes along only a few times a century or so.

Lea Michelle was average to slightly below average with her "version" last night. Valiant effort and ballsy but, hey, it was instantly compared with Barbra's version and everyone on the PLANET come up short.

by Anonymousreply 9106/14/2010

There was no joy to either performance. Both were forced. Matthew spent half the time out of breath and Lea seemed pissed off half the time. Both are talented though. Better than anything I could've done, so .... good for them both.

Agree that if this was Lea's 'audition' for 'Funny Girl', she probably blew it. But she'll be laughing all the way to the bank, so ....

by Anonymousreply 9206/14/2010

Lea Michelle is also ugly and fat.

by Anonymousreply 9306/14/2010

R82, you sound about 12. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 9406/14/2010

If she was going to sing that song, she needed to be able to sell it as something really special and comparable (not a copy, either) to the Streisand version. It simply cannot be sung without the comparisons. Many other singers have done Garland songs and put their own signature stamp on them (Over the Rainbow has several lovely versions by lots of people, for instance) and whoever takes the role of Fanny Brice in the very first "official" revival of Funny Girl will have to have the chops to stand up to Streisand comparisons. It is inevitable. Lainie Kazan, Mimi Hines and others who did Funny Girl back in the day had powerful, thrilling voices that, while not perhaps as jaw dropping as Streisand, were quite serviceable and of star quality in that role.

Just not sure that Lea Michelle has the chops.

by Anonymousreply 9506/14/2010

OP, I bet you're not so hot either.

by Anonymousreply 9606/14/2010

The criticism of the performance is as over the top as...Lea's singing. One would think you birds would be flocking together.

by Anonymousreply 9706/14/2010

The song was too low for MM's register.

by Anonymousreply 9806/14/2010

"Bitch or no bitch, she'll have a very long career."

No, it will just seem very long to us...

by Anonymousreply 9906/14/2010

R91 Wow, so Barbara what's name sang her version of the song better at 22 yo? Well good for her.

Lea Michele is her own person. Maybe she'll only ever have one great stage performance in her career or maybe not. The truth is you have no idea what that girl is capable of. I'm sure she has depth unseen.

Just you wait and see.

by Anonymousreply 10006/14/2010

We get, it, she's not Streisand.

Who knew that was a criminal offense?

by Anonymousreply 10106/14/2010

Who is Lea Michelle?

by Anonymousreply 10206/14/2010

I thought Morrison's peformance was the best of the night. Perhaps the choreography was too much for the song, the traditional Robbins version has dance section not a continuous dance like Morrisson did. He manged to sell a big vocal finish after all that dancing. When I saw him in Hairspray, he seemed effortless in his singing and dancing. It looked like he had chest hair on my TV last night.

by Anonymousreply 10306/14/2010

I agree with you, r103. Morrison is handsome, a great singer and dancer...he's the total package.

by Anonymousreply 10406/14/2010

Love the yellow dress.

This girl is a star.

by Anonymousreply 10506/14/2010

103, sweetie, you need to dust.

by Anonymousreply 10606/14/2010

Just because she's an obnoxious cunt from hell doesn't mean she can't sing. Leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 10706/14/2010

Why is she on the street, R100? Did someone throw her ugly ass out of a car?

by Anonymousreply 10806/14/2010

They say the camera ads 10 lbs, but in the picture at R87 it looks like it added 100 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 10906/14/2010

I thought Morrison was fine with a song that wasn't right for him. I'm sure he didn't pick it. He really can dance, I had no idea.

Ms. Michele comes off as too angry to play Fanny Brice. She's like that in GLEE too. She has a good voice, but she's really unpleasant to watch.

Whoever upthread mentioned Leslie Kritzer - I think you've got something there. But who's going to give a part like that to someone without a TVQ?

by Anonymousreply 11006/14/2010

Leslie Kritzer singing "Don't Rain on my Parade."

by Anonymousreply 11106/14/2010

Mommy the monster is scary. Make it go away!

by Anonymousreply 11206/14/2010

This is how it's done, babe;

by Anonymousreply 11306/14/2010

Apparently she's a bitch on the set of Glee...

by Anonymousreply 11406/14/2010

[quote]Wow, so Barbara what's name sang her version of the song better at 22 yo? Well good for her. Lea Michele is her own person.

[quote]We get, it, she's not Streisand. Who knew that was a criminal offense?

You're missing the point that several people have made. She shouldn't do that song trying to imitate Streisand's very distinctive interpretation and phrasing. It's very difficult to do well and will inevitably lead to an unwanted comparison.

If you want to hear a totally different take on the song, listen to the duet of Judy and Liza (!!) performing it. It's on "Classic Garland: Capital Years 1955-1965.

In fact, everybody should listen to it, just to hear Judy's barely coherent introduction. ("I don't know ONE WORD of the next song.")

by Anonymousreply 11506/14/2010

Judy and Liza, link here:

by Anonymousreply 11606/15/2010

Thanks, R116. I should have known it would be up on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 11706/15/2010

[bold]Lea Michele heads to 'Oz'[/bold]

'Glee' star to voice animated 3D musical

Summertime Entertainment's animated 3D musical "Dorothy of Oz" has snagged Lea Michele of "Glee" to voice the lead part and provide vocals on several original musical numbers.

"Dorothy" marks Michele's first work in features following Broadway roles in "Spring Awakening" and "Les Miserables" and the breakout success of "Glee."

Story, penned by Randi Barnes, Adam Balsam and Barry Glasser, is an update on "The Wizard of Oz" and centers on Dorothy Gale returning to a tornado-devastated Kansas and then being transported back to Oz to help her friends.

Other voice talent on board includes Jim Belushi as the Lion, Dan Aykroyd as the Scarecrow and Kelsey Grammer as the Tin Man. New characters will be voiced by Oliver Platt as Wiser the Owl, Megan Hilty as the China Princess, Hugh Dancy as as Marshall Mallow and Martin Short as the Jester -- Dorothy's arch-nemesis.

Bryan Adams is writing the first songs and lyrics for the film along with writing partner Jim Vallance.

Summertime is aiming at completing "Dorothy" by the end of next year with distribution not yet set. Veteran animation producer Bonne Radford ("Curious George," "The Road to El Dorado") is producing with Dan St. Pierre ("Everyione's Hero") directing.

"Dorothy" is based on the writings of children's author Roger S. Baum, great-grandson of "Wonderful Wizard of Oz" author L. Frank Baum. Summertime -- headed Ryan Carroll and Roland Carroll and exec VPs Neil L. Kaufman, Rene Torres and James A. Jones -- is aiming to make several more pics based on Roger Baum's stories.

Musical components will be supervised by Vicki Hiatt with lyrics by Tift Merritt and Mike Himelstein. Jim Dooley will contribute to the score.

by Anonymousreply 11806/15/2010

Lea Michele doesn't need Funny Girl to shine! She's playing Dorothy in the new Wizard of Oz movie.

Lea Michele Off to See the Wizard

by Anonymousreply 11906/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 12006/15/2010

You owe me a Coke, R119.

by Anonymousreply 12106/15/2010

NOOOO! I want Lea Michelle in Funny Girl, or I won't watch the Revival.

by Anonymousreply 12206/15/2010

I would hardly say that "all that fame and fortune has gone to her head." Lea Michele has ALWAYS been a bitch! Anyone who ever went to the stage door at Spring Awakening could tell you that. She was a bitch even before the Tony's! Luckily she makes up for her personality with her insane talent.

by Anonymousreply 12306/15/2010

There's simply no comparing a legend--even when she was 22--to the adequate Ms. Michelle.

La Streisand doing it right:

by Anonymousreply 12406/15/2010

Well, I guess that performance is OK, R124. But I find the song is much more effective and moving when you SHOUT IT AT THE AUDIENCE.

by Anonymousreply 12506/15/2010

You're a funny bitch, R125.

by Anonymousreply 12606/15/2010

Wow...why are so many obsessed with tearing her down? And so nasty about it?

It was not a performance without flaws. She's not Streisand. Others have arguably covered the song better. And yes, she's likely a raging cunt off the stage. It still wasn't the trainwreck you're claiming it was.

by Anonymousreply 12706/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 12806/15/2010

She sucks.

And she wasn't interpreting the song one iota; she simply aped Streisand's every back-phrase, melodic alteration, etc. That's called stealing.

The song is not written the way Streisand sings it. Dumb Little Lea should have gone back to the original score and found some new things she could do with it to make it her own.

It's the end of Western Civilization.

And she clearly cannot act. At. All.

by Anonymousreply 12906/15/2010

It's a great song. One of the best. I love Streisand, and I never saw Lea Michelle before. I don't watch Glee. However, I thought she did a respectable job.

But the most disappointing thing I keep reading about this girl is that she's a bitch and a diva. If that's true, that kind of shit is so unnecessary. I hope they find someone else for the role for the revival of Funny Girl. No one needs to work with crap like that. Life is difficult enough.

by Anonymousreply 13006/15/2010

I don't really mind Lea Michele as Dorothy, but Jim Belushi as the Lion, Dan Aykroyd as the Scarecrow and Kelsey Grammer as the Tin Man? Please tell me that's a fucking joke!!

by Anonymousreply 13106/15/2010

Bobby Darin did a great, non-Streisand interpretation of DROMP.

by Anonymousreply 13206/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 13306/15/2010

No one would care how badly she butchered the song had she not been touted so loudly as the person who may lead a Funny Girl revival. This just demonstrated what a train wreck that would be. As for Leslie Kritzer, she may be a great choice, but how many tickets would she sell?

by Anonymousreply 13406/15/2010

Well glorie be, just slap a smilie face on the performance R111. I bet Leslie was a cheerleader.

by Anonymousreply 13506/15/2010

The pandering to Glee was the worst part of the evening. So Lea's bombing was the best way to end that sucking up.

They should have had the cast of Sondheim on Sondheim perform instead. Of course real music and lyrics in the midst of the nominated musicals might have thrown the audience off.

by Anonymousreply 13606/15/2010

R136...It was hartd to believe they had nothing from S on S with Barbara right there...

I don't really know this Leslie chic but I watched the you tube of her...miles better than screeching Michele.

What a shame

by Anonymousreply 13706/15/2010

I liked it. It was nice and loud.

by Anonymousreply 13806/15/2010

Streisand has natural musicality. You can't teach that.

Lea Michele has some Barbra Streisand records.

by Anonymousreply 13906/15/2010

Why isn't there a CZJ thread? She sucked more than Michele.

by Anonymousreply 14006/15/2010

Lea Michelle is hardly a mainstream artist. She's part of a successful franchise. Remember "Fame"? How many of those kids are big stars today?

by Anonymousreply 14206/15/2010 must be a frau or just a plain idiot..

You have the middle class mainstream mind set that just because someone has has good numbers or sales that means they are artistically superior in some way...What a maroooon!

Glee is not her is the concept and the ensemble that sells it. She obviously has some talent...but NOT the level that people like myself (a queen, you self hating shit if you are gay) expect or want...

So fuck you and the house you fell down in..

by Anonymousreply 14306/15/2010

Having critical faculties and the ability to express them doesn't de facto make someone 'jealous' or 'a hater.'

You fucking morons. Sarah Palin is a MENSA member next to you....

by Anonymousreply 14506/15/2010

She thought she was doing dinner theater in Boca.

by Anonymousreply 14806/15/2010

I just don't like my performers to be so smug. I enjoyed her in SPRING AWAKENING and that recording shows that she can do different levels of volume, but that performance on Sunday night was really bad.

If that makes me a jealous queen, then bartender give me some Haterade with a shot of jack.

Oh and R140, I think people aren't slamming on CZ Jones so much because unlike Michele, I get the feeling she knew she was bad.

by Anonymousreply 14906/15/2010

R135, Leslie is not the cheerleader type. And she was not acting the song in that clip, just having fun with it for a bunch of drunk gays at a bar.

by Anonymousreply 15006/15/2010

CZJ was NOT that bad in the show. Perhaps she was trying to reach the back of Radio City.

by Anonymousreply 15106/15/2010

p.s. I meant she was not that bad in the Walter Kerr. She stunk up the Music Hall.

by Anonymousreply 15206/15/2010

[quote]Remember "Fame"? How many of those kids are big stars today?

I was thinking about this question the other day and could only come up with three names:

1) Janet Jackson. Though she no longer sells albums anywhere near like she used to, she still qualifies as a big star. Granted, her success had nothing whatsoever to do with the time she spent on FAME;

2) Michael Cerveris. Not a major household name obviously but still a Tony-winning star on Broadway who's managed to have a very successful career since appearing on FAME;

3) Debbie Allen. Has worked consistently as a director and choreographer since appearing on FAME.

by Anonymousreply 15406/15/2010

Do you think Tori Spelling would be a good choice for the Funny Girl revival?

by Anonymousreply 15506/15/2010

R155 funny you say that since Lea reminds me of the character Tori played in the gay movie "Trick"

by Anonymousreply 15606/15/2010

by Anonymousreply 15706/16/2010

Thanks for the Kritzer clip R111.

She does seem like she's exactly right for the part. You can tell she's a good comedian and has personality for days

I don't know about Lea Michele in that part. She doesn't seem zany enough. And other than having those big, impressive pipes, she does not, as many have already said, seem to have any sense of interpretation. But this is the general problem with the world of professional vocal music these days (including pop and opera) It's the Disney effect, a deliberate blanching out of the individual in any performance.

Savy climbers like Michele understand that they are not to put interpretation into anything. They are simply to act as Stepford Star. All of this comes from the top down. Most of those in charge have become very risk adverse and want a formula performance in which the artist does a very calculated move through the emotions of the piece.

That used to come from within people. Streisand didn't calculate that.(She might have done so later, but not when she was young) That was coming from her identification with the piece. There is no identification now. There is nothing to identify with. The humanity in the drama/music is blanched out and we are left with something that 'seems' like it.

It's like what has happened with food in the country: most of the flavor has been removed in an effort to eliminate inconsistencies. And ironically, so has the nutrition.

I think Morrison is the real deal in terms of being a real actor/singer. But he's stuck in the cracks of who he is and what he knows is expected of him. It's a tough spot and it will lead to slightly wooden performances.

When I look at the old Tony award clips, I see people being some fantastically blown up version of themselves. Half the time, they are just standing there and yet they are thousands of times more interesting and engaging than all these people flailing around now. It's a shame that nobody is allowed to develop on a stage to the point where they have that sort of confidence and ability any more.

by Anonymousreply 15906/16/2010

I didn't have an opinion on Lea Michelle before, but all these frankly ineloquent people defending her are definitely making me reconsider my position.

by Anonymousreply 16006/16/2010

'You're just jealous' is a passive aggressive way to put the opponent on the defensive without saying anything of substance.

R159 has a good point. Producers want talent that can be replaced easily so individuality is tossed to the side. Michele is loud, can hold long notes and probably likes to use melisma. As long as people prefer lung power over interpretation, she'll continue to work.

by Anonymousreply 16106/16/2010

Probably likes to use melisma? Way to sound uninformed and pre-judgemental.

by Anonymousreply 16206/16/2010

Girls! Girls! You're BOTH bitter, no-talent nobodies!

by Anonymousreply 16306/16/2010

She seemed to be channeling the devil while singing it. I think she was probably nervous but it was an awkward performance no doubt.

MM was better, there is no way he is straight, that's what I kept thinking.

by Anonymousreply 16406/16/2010

Why is there no way?

by Anonymousreply 16506/16/2010

"Oh and [R140], I think people aren't slamming on CZ Jones so much because unlike Michele, I get the feeling she knew she was bad."

I like this reasoning... maybe this explains why I feel uninterested in CZJ compared to the white-hot rage Michele inspires in me. CZJ gives it her best shot (even if that is bad) and drunkenly muddles through... Michele has an entitled "I DESERVE this!" and an angry aggression to her performing. Plus, CZJ was at least making choices, wrong-headed as they were; she wasn't doing an imitation of Glynis Johns or Judy Collins. Michele was mimicing, down to the note, every bit of Streisand's phrasing and interpretation on the movie soundtrack; it was like vocal plagiarism.

by Anonymousreply 16606/16/2010

I'm sure Fred Astaire dabbled in the man-meat.

by Anonymousreply 16706/16/2010

This thread has been so hard for me to read.

by Anonymousreply 16806/16/2010

God, if only r168 really were Lea, and this thread so destroyed her confidence that she took herself out of the running for the Funny Girl revival. If only!

by Anonymousreply 16906/16/2010

Destroy my confidence? Bitch, please.

My confidence comes from my God given talents. Beauty, charm, my acting ability.....and THE VOICE. You can not destroy "these gifts" you silly man.

by Anonymousreply 17006/16/2010

That performance was dreadful. I think she managed to outdo the guy who plays the football player on the show and his live performance at the White House made William Hung look like Norm Lewis

MM is ever watchable. He might have the best ass in primetime.

by Anonymousreply 17106/16/2010

Although she's totally not good enough for the Funny Girl revival, it's pretty uncanny in the photo at r170 how much her face looks like Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 17206/16/2010

"Although she's totally not good enough for the Funny Girl revival, it's pretty uncanny in the photo at [R170] how much her face looks like Streisand."

So does mine. It doesn't help. Trust me.

by Anonymousreply 17306/17/2010

People, I beg you - don't let this thread die!!

by Anonymousreply 17406/17/2010

The funny thing is that being a sycophant (like the illiterate, homophobic Michele fans on this thread) is a way of coping with intense jealousy. You align yourself with the object of envy and then replace the envy with passionate supportiveness and histrionic admiration.

And then you call everyone who doesn't agree with you a 'hater' or 'jealous' and throw in a homophobic ephithet for good measure.

Much more pathetic than tearing a performer down is worshipping at their feet.

by Anonymousreply 17506/22/2010

Lea is a bitch. As much as I hate her, I'd rather see Jen "Cuddles" Cody play Brice.

by Anonymousreply 17606/22/2010

172, you're joking, right? She put her makeup on with a trowel for that shot and she's playing the light. It's called contouring, and she's sooo trying to look like Babs it's just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 17706/22/2010

I'm one sexy bitch!

by Anonymousreply 17806/22/2010

Lea needs to sit down. This PR bitch is played out.

by Anonymousreply 17912/03/2012

Lea Michele is pretty bad. She has terrible breathing technique and shrieks when she sings. Just because she can belt doesn't mean she's a good singer and I think she seems like a massive bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18003/07/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!