Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My hair is going gray...and I''m 22!

I found my first gray hair at 16. They have gotten more numerous over the years and now at 22 it is very noticeable and I think I'll have to start coloring it.

So any advice? Should I go to a professional hairdresser or try myself. Does gray hair even take color well?

I can't believe I have a lifetime of coloring ahead of me. Aargh! I am pretty sure it's not a health problem,all my mother's side of the family very fully white by their mid-30s so it's just bad genes I guess.

by Anonymousreply 5305/06/2013

Leave it for now while you're young. It will make you stand out among your peers. You can always start dying when they start to get gray. You always want to be the different, interesting looking one.

by Anonymousreply 106/12/2010

Anderson, you haven't been 22 in almost 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 206/12/2010

by Anonymousreply 306/12/2010

Don't waste money on a hair dresser. By all means, do it yourself.

It's easy.

And it will look great.

Trust me on this.

by Anonymousreply 406/12/2010

Ignore R4.

Let it go.

I was in your shoes when I was in my 20s. In my 30s and 40s, it was a never ending line of guys who had a thing for guys with gray hair.

by Anonymousreply 506/12/2010

Would you prefer graying or thinning in your 20s?

Half empty/half full.

by Anonymousreply 606/12/2010

Guys with gray hair are hot! You get even more points if it's a streak.

by Anonymousreply 706/12/2010

I'm 25 and have gotten around 5 gray hairs in the past year. I'm looking forward to being a silver daddy, I just don't want it to happen too soon though.

by Anonymousreply 806/12/2010

No it doesn't look hot. I look very young for my age, constantly mistaken for a teen, so it just looks weird. My hair is also thick so it doesn't have that salt and pepper thing going on.

So hairdresser or DIY job?

by Anonymousreply 906/12/2010

If you're a man, you're lucky. Distinguished. If you're a woman, be bold and flaunt it, girl.

Or just eat a spoonful of molasses a day and pray the gray away.

by Anonymousreply 1006/12/2010

Shut the fuck up--at least you have hair.

by Anonymousreply 1106/12/2010

OP you sound cute, you should post a pic of the top of your head lol. Your strange combination of a baby face and gray hair is attractive to a lot of people.

But to each his own...

by Anonymousreply 1206/12/2010

R11 has a point.

by Anonymousreply 1306/12/2010

OP, honey, never ever do it yourself. r4 is being humorous. It never comes out at home the way people think it will. But it may not be such a bad idea to keep it gray, at least for now. I think a lot of people will appreciate your individuality.

by Anonymousreply 1406/12/2010

I was in the same situation... first gray hair around 17.

I'm 29 now and, while the gray hair (especially in the front, kind of a reverse-Leno) is very prominent, the rest of my hair is still black.

I've never - not once - had anyone tease me about it. Gay or straight, male or female, everyone that comments on it thinks it's cool.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, OP. Just style your hair as you would normally!

PS If it makes you feel any better, just consider this: at least you're not going bald!

by Anonymousreply 1506/12/2010

try's messy but works well.

Covering Gray Hair Recipe Homemade Hair Dye By Purdue University

Wash your hair with one of the following rinses. Pour the selected rinse through your hair 15 times, re-rinsing with the same liquid. On the final rinse, wring hair, and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing with clear water.

Covering Gray: Simmer 1/2 cup dried sage in 2 cups water for 30 minutes, then steep for several hours. Apply to hair and leave on until dried. Then rinse and dry. Repeat weekly, until desired shade, then monthly to maintain color.

by Anonymousreply 1606/12/2010

I started turning gray at 15. My barber told me to enjoy it because it meant that I would not go bald later. He was right. My two older brothers did not go gray, but did lose their hair pretty early. I still have a nice head of silver hair. Some guys love it!

by Anonymousreply 1706/12/2010

If you have streaks on your temples do NOT cut your hair, let it grow. Then, with some styling, you can go as The Bride of Frankenstein for Halloween

by Anonymousreply 1906/12/2010

Let it go gray when you're young.

For the next 30 years you'll look exactly the same.

by Anonymousreply 2006/12/2010

Try Just for Men. If it works, you saved a ton of money. If it doesn't you can always go to a hairdresser.

Look on the brightside, at least you aren't balding.

by Anonymousreply 2106/12/2010

If you're going gray this early, chances are that it will be a beautiful silvery color. I have several friends who were completely gray by their mid-20s and their hair is truly beautiful. And young-looking guys with gray hair are HOT.

by Anonymousreply 2206/12/2010

Keep it. 42 here with salt and pepper all over and an interesting patch/streak in front. People love it. And it's much better than going bald like many of my contemporaries.

by Anonymousreply 2306/12/2010

Gray > Gone !

by Anonymousreply 2406/13/2010

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.

by Anonymousreply 2506/13/2010

Any pics of people who look good sporting the full head of silver? I think I'm going to get it. Or I hope I get a streak of it to make me stand out.

by Anonymousreply 2606/13/2010

You're young enough to get away with dying your hair a lurid blue, or magenta! Or unnatural black or orange, like all the little hipsters.

Seriously, going with an obviously unnatural color is an option that nobody has mentioned yet. It works very well for some people.

by Anonymousreply 2706/13/2010

Leave it because its natural, everyone got something they are not happy about

by Anonymousreply 2806/13/2010

I think I could be happy with it, as long as it looks 'silver' rather than old man gray.

by Anonymousreply 2906/13/2010

Dye it a beautiful midnight blue.

by Anonymousreply 3006/13/2010

Soul Patrol! Soul Patrol!

by Anonymousreply 3106/13/2010

I started graying at eighteen.

Keep the gray and work on your self-confidence issues instead.

by Anonymousreply 3206/13/2010

[quote]and work on your self-confidence issues instead.

If only they had a 'just for men' type fix for that.

by Anonymousreply 3306/13/2010

I'm more concerned about the gray pubes I found recently! Holy shit. I thnk the only solution to that one is to go Brazilian below.

by Anonymousreply 3406/13/2010

Yes, you have a life ahead of dyeing your hair. I've been doing it since I was 40. Granted, you're 22 and considerably younger than I was at the time.

I've recently started using Just for Men's "A Touch of Gray," which is a bit different than the regular Just for Men dye. Touch of Gray doesn't color entirely so it looks a bit more natural than the all-over one color dye.

by Anonymousreply 3506/13/2010

For years, I've heard people say, "Oh, gray hair looks so distinguished."

Well sure, that's true on some men--very few in my opinion. Maybe on Anderson Cooper, but certainly not on me. I've tried letting my gray hair go for months. After a while, I just hate the gray and can't live with it. And I'm not even all gray. I have a fair amount gray--certainly not even what you would call salt 'n pepper. I still don't like it and eventually I break down and color it with Just For Men.

I've gotten rather good at dyeing so that I don't leave the dye on too long so as to not end up with that all-over black shoe polish look. And if a bit of gray shows through, I'm fine with that. I just don't think I've ever acquired that "distinguished look" with gray hair about which people talk so much. On me, it just looks gray--not distinguished.

by Anonymousreply 3606/13/2010

OP I feel your pain.

I started going gray at 16. I started coloring in my late 20s. I'm 44 now and my hair (under the color) is totally white. I've had the best luck doing it at home with a demi-permanent color. It's not as tough on your hair and it washes out slowly rather than leaving you with some faded color and contrasting roots. I keep my hair pretty short so going to a salon every couple of weeks for professional color isn't in the budget for me (plus the demi-permanent is what a lot of them use - a friend who works as a stylist turned me on to it). My natural color (back when I had some) is a light brown which works pretty well with the demi-permanent. I think a darker or more vibrant color would be tougher to pull off.

On the plus side I do have a reasonably full head of hair (some thinning in front and on top).

by Anonymousreply 3706/13/2010

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of coloring your hair at home. For 99% of men, it's very easy because they keep their hair short.

Just go and buy a demi-permanent color like Natural Instincts or Color Match by L'Oreal. These are very gentle, professional level haircolors that are easy to use. Pick a shade one or two levels lighter than your natural color and everything will be fine.

There's no need to spend $50 at the salon.

by Anonymousreply 3806/13/2010

Magenta can look really good. I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 3906/13/2010

Zinc and copper are quite good at preventing gray hairs.

by Anonymousreply 4006/13/2010

My hair still hasn't started going gray at 45. And the strawberry blond shade is perfect for hiding my balding, very little contrast with the color of my scalp.

by Anonymousreply 4106/13/2010

OP, why don't you just shave it off. It's the hot look today.

I love this look

by Anonymousreply 4206/13/2010

"Going gray is like ejaculating, you know it can happen prematurely, but when it actually does, it's total shock".

by Anonymousreply 4306/13/2010

Whatever you do, don't color it darker than your natural color. Go a little lighter, if anything. The older you get, the stranger dark hair looks. It will be obvious you color your hair, and that screams [italic] vanity [/italic] as a first impression of you, like a bad toupee or comb-over for the balding. It projects insecurity about yourself, not confidence. You don't want to look like an old, black-haired senator.

by Anonymousreply 4406/13/2010

Blond is the new gray.

by Anonymousreply 4506/13/2010

^^ Yeah, that'll work, R45.

Black hair all my life till it turned gray ... but wait ... blond hair will fool 'em!

Spontaneous blonding at 40 happens all the time.

You bet.

by Anonymousreply 4606/13/2010

Dang if the sage doesn't work. I have it in the yard, used green, put it in a spray bottle and put it in my hair last night. When it dried, I'd do it again. It really did cover the gray! Some of the coarser grays are still there, but it's working in them too! I'm amazed!

by Anonymousreply 4706/14/2010

I'm 44 and have had gray hair since I was 19. It looked pretty good then but looks amazing now. Lucky DNA here, and I've never taken it for granted. My bf is bald and if I don't get my hair cut I look like George Washington......

by Anonymousreply 4806/14/2010

Does it make you feel wild and crazy?

by Anonymousreply 4906/14/2010

I thought the title of this thread was, "my hair is going gay." Time to get new contacts!

by Anonymousreply 5006/14/2010

Wow, a cure for gray hair and it also reverses vitiligo

by Anonymousreply 5105/05/2013

Men's hair dye invariably looks weird because of the beard. Dyed beards always look severe and weird, and if one shaves, the beard is visible under the skin in the undyed color.

Grey hair is great looking -- when people look old with grey hair, it's because their faces look old. The hair color ameliorates that, but can't do miracles.

by Anonymousreply 5205/06/2013

I cant wait to go gray! I hope when it happens I go the same way as my dad, just at the temples. I think its a really sexy look.

by Anonymousreply 5305/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!